Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Hyundai Veracruz

aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
hey, i just created this discussion about the MESA? what does everyone think about another SUV or CUV from HYUNDAI. Is really it necessary with the rising gas prices? or has hyundai launched an offensive plan to got head to head with the HONDA, TOYOTA and GM?
what does everyone expect from this SUV?

Comments

• aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    i frankly think hyundai should make a luxury brand, and use this mesa as a RX fighter. it will have plenty of power, will look sharp(probably will look similar to santa fe) and interior looks already as good as RX.

people will like it because it's big but not too big like some domestic suv's, and of course, it will cost around 28k-33k.

gotta think big, hyundai!!

a perfect interior for entry luxury suv.
    you are rite. they should release it with the EQUUS sedan. The interior is actually nice looking but they really need to bring telematics if they plan to sell any vehicle under the luxury brand name.Edmunds did mention that they satelliete radio but navigation, bluetooth should also be a part of it.
    ACCORDING TO EDMUNDS, power is expected to come form 3.8 unit used in the AZERA but the HP would be around 280+.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    FYI - the Mesa name is not set in stone, only a possibility. Frankly, I am not exactly sure where Edmunds/TCC got the nod this SUV would be named Mesa. For now, it's widely known as the "EN" (internal codename).

As for the luxury brand, there will be one but the timeline, still unknown at this time (a lot of rumors though). For the "EN" and the "BH" (luxury RWD sedan), based on their anticipated release timeline, there are not enough time to setup dealer network but I'd expect eventually these two cars ("EN" and "BH") will move over to the luxury brand.

As for the spy pics, the interior looks great. Kudos Hyundai!!!
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/103626/page044.html

To see photos of it, just do a 'net image search.

The interior of the Kia looks more bold, different.
    thecarconnection.com also had a story on this as a Hyundai Mesa, last week, I believe.

I do not know why Mesa, since Kia introduced it over a year ago as Kia Mesa.
    hyundai owns kia so :)

mesa sounds good but veracruz sounds better.
    Maybe we will see a Kia Tiburon some day? ;)
  • frankzappa22frankzappa22 Member Posts: 5
    They won't release the name until August.
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    It is true that the vehicle will have a Lambda 3.8-liter V6 under the hood: this was confirmed last year by John Krafcik, HMA's Vice President of Product Development and Strategic Planning. He also said that they were planning a six-speed manumatic transmission for the 'ute.
    Output ratings are purely speculative right now, but I'd expect somewhere over 270-horsepower.

Here are some other recent shots:

BobaeDream

Mike
    They do have the rights to the name, but I can't see them using it. People are already starting to make fun of it: "They want me to drive a table around? Hmm...."

Hyundai has also trademarked Cabrina, Veracruz, and Catalina in the US.

Hyundai Veracruz gets my vote... I would have liked Socorro best, though.

Competition is likely to come up -- here are my $0.02 concerning that:

In the US, I think its main competitors will be the GM Lambda utes, Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer; Honda Pilot, Jeep Commander, and Nissan Pathfinder.
    Other "moderate" competitors will likely include the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango; Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle, Lincoln MKX, Mazda CX-9, Toyota 4Runner, [new] Toyota Highlander, and Volvo XC90.

It will also be considered an alternative to minivans and certain large SUVs (e.g. Toyota Sequoia) for a number of people.

Mike
    Now we're gettin' somewhere:

EN front
    EN rear

Additional images #1
    Additional images #2

The top two shots were taken in Korea, so they're legal.
    Mike
    Excellent Link man.....it even has pics of the NEW SEDAN...
    Mesa likely not going to be the name. Veracruz, on the other hand, has a good shot :)
  • diemusikdiemusik Member Posts: 12

As you can see, these are taken in S. Korea. Enjoy~ :blush:
    NHTSA (of all sources!) confirmed that the name will, in fact, be the VeraCruz. Model-year: 2007.

Mike
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For this vehicle? If so, I'll change the title!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yep, this thread title should be "2007 Hyundai VeraCruz." Thanks!

Mike
    I have a feeling this would be 2008MY for some markets, US for one (given production starts late this year - to the best of my knowledge) :)
  • subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    so this will be honda pilot size or bigger? what do you expect the 4x4 system to be? what about msrp?? :confuse:
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I'm pretty sure it will be, at the least, longer than the Pilot. It's supposed to have a pretty long wheelbase, so passenger room should be pretty nice. IMHO, the 4x4 system probably won't be that different than the Santa Fe (light duty, but more of a safety device rather than an off-roading system). My guess on MSRP is like 24-25k, being that the Santa Fe starts at close to 21k. That would be 2-3k less than the competition. I think that's about where Hyundai likes to be.

Of course, I'm just speculating on this. Mike will probably come out with some much better information later.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    with the size of the Trailblazer, which, to me, seems a little smaller than the Explorer...

How do the Veracruz and the new Santa Fe compare in terms of size to the Trailblazer's length and width???
    My guess is that the VeraCruz will be about 4 or 5 inches longer than a standard trailblazer, but shorter than the EXT version. It will probably be wider and lower to the ground than the trailblazer too. I think it will be about the size of the upcoming Mazda CX-9.

The trailblazer is bigger the Santa Fe by about 7 inches overall, but they are the same width.

The main functions of the Santa Fe and VeraCruz will be moving people comfortably, stylishly, and affordably. The trailblazer is more of a true utility, with it's higher tow rating and heavier frame.

The biggest difference between them is gas mileage. The trailblazer guzzles fuel. It's just a heavy vehicle.
    The name has now been officially announced by Hyundai: it will be called the Veracruz -- no capital "C."

Mike
    Here is the press release Mike referred to:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-10-200- 6/0004414028&EDATE=

Hyundai Announces Name of Future Upper Midsize Crossover

All-New 2007 Veracruz Continues Hyundai's Geographic Naming Convention

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Aug. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Beautiful Gulf of Mexico waters, serene beaches and Mexico's grandest port -- all reminiscent of the Mexican state and the meaning behind the latest addition to the Hyundai lineup: Veracruz.

The ninth vehicle to join Hyundai's 2007 model year lineup, the midsize Veracruz will be larger than Honda Pilot, have more cargo volume than the full-size Mercedes-Benz GL and offer sleek styling, a car-like ride and premium features. Veracruz will also feature as standard equipment the Hyundai Hideaway(TM) third-row seat, a simple-to-use 50/50 split fold-into-the-floor seat, offering flexibility for up to seven passengers.

Equipped with a standard 3.8-liter V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission, Veracruz will offer an unprecedented combination of styling, safety, comfort and convenience including available all-wheel drive, standard Electronic Stability Control (ESC), standard side-airbags, as well as side-curtain airbags for all three rows of passengers.

Veracruz will compete primarily with upper midsize crossovers including Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, Subaru B9 Tribeca and Lexus RX350.
    Here's a shot of the front-end. I'll look for others.

Mike
  • chantellewchantellew Member Posts: 12
    That's nice...I think I'll wait on this vehicle now that I've seen a good pic.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Yup that's the same on the Straightline blog right now.
    I like it. Certainly looks better than the front on the current Pilot and Highlander. Those two really need a redesign, as their design is by far the most boring looking of all the crossovers out there now.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    I do think i like it that much- but that's the same thing i said about MDX- which I really like.I need to see it in person. Should be spacouis considering Sante Fe has nice 3rd row!
    It's not quite what I expected it to look like, but it is pretty nice. It looks like it's going after the same people the Mazda CX-9 is marketed for, with its less angular shape.
    there is a pic of the grill out on yahoo news photos, its very ugggly :sick:
    The pic Mike poseted doesn't look bad at all. I just wish, like alot of others it seems, that the Hyundai logo was in the center instead of the bottom (Same with the 07 Camry). Can you post a link to the picture you saw?
    I found this picture on google images. It's pretty small, but it's not a bad pic.

i think i am warming to the outside but the inside not so much. i think the first link joe provided, the gauges look very cheap for a car thats going to cost high 20s to mid 30s. the santa fe looks more upscale to me
    this suv should be made with a limited slip real differential to make it somewhat competent in the snow or off road without one i can just see this one slipping trying to get out of a snowy parking lot
    love the simple interior. not feelin the badge though. can't wait till i see it in person!

this new mdx with navi will be 50k(with navi), so veracruz' interior looks about right for the price.
    too bad that interior is all plastic, yes its not even real wood. at least lexus uses real wood! for god sake a car of that price range must use real wood!!! just like the new escalade, FAKE wood in that as well!! *wood rant off* :mad:
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Looks a little cold and uninviting to me. Maybe it's just the gray color. Choosing a beige interior would probably solve that problem.
    The interior of the MDX looks way too busy...
    My fault. i ment to say don't- not do. But a day later i do like it a little more
    I want to see more interior shots- like some third row!
  • jd14jd14 Member Posts: 128
    Subarufan1, are you sure that the wood in the new MDX is fake? I previously owned a V8 VW Touareg which had real wood along the dash and doors. It seems odd to me that the new MDX would use fake wood when it's competitors are using real wood.
    i am not sure, but the whole acura line uses fake wood accept the RL so maybe if they are really moving the mdx upmarket than i guess it could be real wood. but the rest of the acuras including the current gen mdx use fake trees. note that lexus uses real wood on all their cars regardless
    I definitely agree on that. A good shot of the third row would help alot.

Also, I'm thinking that this thing will start in the mid-20's (25-26k) just because the Santa Fe starts in the low-20's. Six or seven thousand would make for a large gap in the product line for Hyundai. It would also be getting into the starting prices of it's competitors. Fully loaded will probably reach into the mid-30's though.

With they grey interior with all that silver, it looks a little cold. I hope they offer black or maybe a charcoal color. I'd like to be a little bolder than beige.