Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    I have recently purchased a 97 Disco. I found the factory sticker inside the driver's door with the month and year of production, but I was hoping for a more specific date. I was told that I might have to contact Solihull to find that out-LR N. America had no idea- but I can't seem to reach anyone there. Does anyone have contact information for this type of request?

I've read some recently posted messages re: buying a Disco so I thought I would offer some suggestions from my experience. Some of this pertains to used vehicles, so use what you can. It seems to be pretty common to have engine leaks, and we confirmed through LR that our car had all of it's service done through them and had the "usual" leaky spots fixed. I can honestly say that the leaks were a concern going in. I would make sure any LR has excellent maintenance records and/or comes with a decent warranty. I'm pretty certain that the car we have is mechanically sound, but to be sure, we purchased a 12 mo/12k warranty that covers just about everything.

The most important thing I can think of is to research and gather as much information as possible. We test drove some, went to a couple auto shows to compare and really shopped around. Overall, it took a little over a year before we found one we liked and felt well enough informed to feel confident the purchase was a wise one.

She's white and absolutely loaded and I just love her. (called her Lizzie). It's fascinating to drive down the road and see other SUV drivers stop and gawk at your Kick Butt disco. I love it.

I hope this is helpful, and if anyone has info about the VIN, I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Kim and "Lizzie"
  • springdalespringdale Member Posts: 5
    You can apply a small piece of velcro to the console and U-shaped cup holder. Mine holds in hard turns with no problems. Plus they are easy to remove...
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Is available from LRNA. Contact Land Rover Owner care, 1-800-637-6837 and have them find out. Or post the last 8 of the vin and I will find out for you.
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    Like with any used vehicle, TLC from the previous owner is essential. I purchased a '96 Disco in 4/00 and I have not had any leaking problems. Of course my mechanic was concerned, because the of the LR saying : "If it's not leaking, it's empty,"
    to his astonishment the oil was NOT leaking, the power steering hoses, once properly attached were NOT leaking and after the radiator cap was replaced the coolant was NOT leaking! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!(It's been over 6 months and no leaks). GOOD LUCK :)
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Congratulations on your Disco! I'll bet you it was made on a Weds or Thursday, from the build quality. Woe to the person who buys a Monday truck (after a football and ale weekend)!!

Just as an observation, have you noticed we humans give names to the things with which we have relationships? I haven't named my toaster or refrigerator... but I have named my Rover ("Anuqa") my motorcycle ("Scooter") and my guitars. Lots of SUVs are simply automotive appliances: perfect, flawless, utterly devoid of character. People don't name those trucks.

Just an observation, -Bob
  • rwcmick2001rwcmick2001 Member Posts: 1
    How much of a hassle is it to change the automatic transmission's oil/filter on a '98 Disco?

I feel pretty confident about all the other items on the 30K checklist, but the tranny filter seems to be a bit more of a challenge.

The local dealer want $520 for the 30K service and $325 to just service the transmission.

Thanks for any help!

Mick
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    is on now! (5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/freewaychat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    It's very straightforward though a bit scary.

Remove bolts holding the cross member beneath the trans. Use hydraulic jack with 2x4 blocks to spread frame rails, remove cross member.

Drain sump, then undo filler/dipstick tube. Undo 3 bolts each for both exhaust manifolds... be careful not to shear these bolts! Unhook exhaust from catalyst if you see you can't work around it. Make sure you unhook O2 sensors as you remove y-pipes.

Drop sump pan, remove gasket. Keep track of where the bolts and clips came from on the sump.

Replace filter, wipe any accumulated gunk from all visible surfaces inside the trans. Look inside the pickup tube, make sure no gunk has built up in there.

Replace sump gasket, reattach sump pan with clips and bolts. Make sure not to overtighten, you WILL split the gasket lengthwise and it will blow your ATF all over the highway (I know from experience).

Reattach everything, thinking about new exhaust manifold studs or at least using antiseize on their threads so you don't shear one off. Smear Vaseline on the frame rails before you put the cross member back in, to reduce rust in this area.

Refill with good quality ATF (oil is cheaper than metal), double check to ensure all connections are torqued and )2 sensors are connected.

Drive your truck! Enjoy, -Bob
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Nanuq:

Bainbridge Island - how interesting! I'm going over there today to take a look at a 1973 Series III! Whereabouts on the island did you live?

Today is the quality check/inspection. If all goes well and it seems mechanically sound, I'll be taking my wife and son next weekend to get their buyoff (don't worry, I'm not going to have to 'convince' my wife I'm getting a SIII - just gotta make sure she doesn't mind it in the driveway :) ). Then I just have to wait for my house to sell in MI to sell and I'll be all set.

Thanks - wasko
    Boy this is like old home week! Go south on the Island, taking the main road toward Port Blakely. At the high spot you'll see a road coming up from the right, that's a steep hill down to Lynnwood Center. We lived right up there at the top where the elementary school is, a bit north from there. See that nasty hill up from Lynnwood Center? I used to ride my bike up and down that thing for training... which makes it A LOT easier to commute here. While you're down looking at the center, stop in at Walts and see if he or his mother are working, likely there will be an elderly black gentleman sitting out front with a cane, he's the greatest guy. Then walk over to Ruby's and have some lunch. You'll love it!

Where on the Island is the Series? Man, I wonder if I know the guy selling it... what's the name?

When you're done, drive along Rockaway Beach. There's a house with a red railcar in the yard right by the road, we came *that* close to buying a lot about 100 yards south of him. What a view!

When it's all said and done and you're riding the ferry back to Seattle, if you're on the Walla Walla then walk up topside and look thru the foreward windows of the wheelhouse. See if there's a salt-and-pepper grey gent driving the boat, got a glint in the eye and a grey beard. That's Steve, and he's let me drive that thing a few times. Wave for me!

Enjoy the ride, -Bob
  • bhamidipatibhamidipati Member Posts: 1
    Well,, it really hurts to put this ADVT.. but I need to sell my 2001 Landrover Disco SE II since I am leaving to Europe! The vehicle is in excellent condition, has 6500 miles color Chawton White, beige combo, CD changer/AM-FM/ cassette premium audio, dual sun/moon roofs, leather interior, .... can contact at my eamil at rbhamidipati@zdnetmail.com
    Thanks
    Ramana
    Nanuq: I ended up meeting David Ward (Series III Gent - works in avionics) at the Key Arena downtown. I was there to watch some Ronald McDonald Corporate Charity Tournaments and get my fill of hockey (man I miss the Red Wings!). David was nice enough to bring the SIII across on the ferry.

This coming weekend (I love the old Rover), I'm taking my wife and son out to the island, and we're going to explore a bit of the island in the old Rover. I'll definitely check out your old area, stop by Walt's, and grab lunch at Ruby's - sounds like a great place!

If at all possible, I'll avoid the big hills (at first)! The thoughts of clutching, braking, and accelerating with 2 feet and an emergency brake in a vehicle I'm not comfortable with definitely isn't appealing to me yet :) Which beckons the question of how I'll get it off the island if I do buy it :) Maybe we'll meet at Key Arena again...

Thanks, wasko
    No worries, from Walts you can go south, wind around the south and eventually meet up with Blakely Avenue, it's a hard left turn (acute angle) and will take you up to the school instead of going up the BIG HILL. Or go straight thru the stop sign (no left) and it takes you over Rockaway Beach. Or go north from Walts and that road (Miller Bay Road?) eventually runs into a stop sign just past the fire station at... you guessed it, Blakeley Avenue. Go left and you're in town again. A real pretty drive would be to bear left at the "Y" just before the fire station, go north along the left side of the island, then come out at a red light... cross the road and go into Port Madison, and then down to Faye Bainbridge State Park... nice beach!

Oooooo, just thought of something. Go south from Walts, go thru the stop sign and turn right at the perpendicular that goes across the head of Port Blakely (the water). 200 yards, turn right up a really steep windy road. Follow that until it finally comes out level and straight... go along until it SUDDENLY drops over a hill right at a brick officer's house. Go left there. It's a tough corner. Follow about 100 yards, and go left again, I believe this is Virginia Court. It winds uphill to the right, dirt road. My adopted Gramma Sonya lives up there, I take care of her. You'll see a "Y", up the left side then it splits again... go up the middle of that "Y" and you come out in a meadow... straight thru a nasty rusted gate. Ahead is a steep hill with a reservoir on top, and a little fun 4-wheeling. Go slow and have fun!

Good luck, -Bob
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 5-6pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • razteorazteo Member Posts: 38
    Never had a SUV. I'm considering to purchase a 2001 Discovery Series II in about one month.

I love the car look, but reading about it, fell a little desapoint regard its big engine/poor performance/lot of gas, very havy all together (a good reason for his low performance), lots of 4x4 stuff developed-needless for me in traffic (where I will spend 99% of the driving time). How reliable is this SUV?
    On ather hand, I fell sick abot all Japanies, Jeep and Ford Explorer, wich are intoxicated our streets!

I like Disco Series II apearance and distinctive elegance. Bun not sure if this is the best choice for me.
    Any advice welcome. Thanks.
  • rudy0835rudy0835 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all:

I've been reading a lot about some very happy and some very unhappy Land Rover owners. I'm trading in a Jeep Wrangler and looking at a Certified Per Owned 1999 Discovery I from a dealer. It has 31,000 miles and the asking price is $25k. I'd assume there is some room for negotiation.

I've never owned anything other than an SUV and I'm familiar with the gas guzzler problems and handling inherent in the breed. It's not a car, doesn't ride like a car, and I think too many people think that SUV's are just big cars. I know that there are lemons with any make or model car, but it seems the Land Rovers have more than their fair share.

My question is: is this model Discovery more or less reliable than other model LR's (should I hold out for a 2000, 2001 or look older and cheaper)??

Is $23K-$25K an acceptable price (according to Edmunds it is)??

Bottom line: Is buying a Discovery too much of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]???
    and several moods....but I've settled on 'Bodhi' it suits her and our experiences.
    rudy0835 - I don't believe I've seen any negative comments on the 99 Disco I's on this forum or in other places. I also keep an eye out at the dealer when I stop by and count the vehicles out back for service. Lots of older DI's, but not many 99's. Then again, that could be because they switched to DII's in 99 and I'm not sure how many 99 DI's were manufactured.

Like always, take a look at the VIN history - it will provide tell-tale information and the dealer will print it for you.

Thanks, wasko
    "Life is short, take a chance!" If you're in love with the styling and are crazy (like most of us up here are) for the vehicle, go for it! Worst case scenario is that it doesn't meet your expectations and you trade it in for something else. But just ask rkoesler - not many other vehicles on the market have as much charm (I would argue HARD that a Mercedes GWagen has as much or more char, but too many $$) as a Disco.

Thanks, wasko
  • kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    Tincup-

I appreciate the help. the last 8 digits are VA725653.
    Thanks again.
    Kim
    Build date was 3/21/97
    Built on a Friday?? I hope it's a morning car, and not afternoon: "Engine? Ah, who needs an engine, mate? Let's off to the pub!"

:)
    The vehicle seems to have been serviced regularly, and has had no major problems
    Buy the Rover...Yes you may have more trouble than the McJapanese SUV's, but at least there is not one on every block (for the most part). Buy the extended warranty if it is offered. I just had my 1998 Disco in for the 30K service, and they pulled about another grand in warranty work.
    Good luck!
  • razteorazteo Member Posts: 38
    Suburban need less gas than Disco!? What is wrong with this engine?
    Has low performance after all. How is the engine after few years? Is only 4.0. The BMW 4.4, is geting 18 mpg-city!
    This XXL mpg (13 mpg-city!), is make me ask myself what's all about this SUV. Is only the british flavor? What else?
    I love the design inside/ourside, and unmistakeble apearance, but. .who is going to pay for gas?
    I put forth a simple question to Land Rover North America. "Can the local Land Rover dealer negotiate off of MSRP? They say LR North America does not allow them to negotiate off of MSRP"

Here is the answer via e-mail: "Land Rover retailers provide their vehicles at a price they determine internally based on market and region. The sales feature of the retailer is not monitered by Land Rover North America, as we are a distributer for vehicles manufactured by Land Rover United Kingdom. All pricing and sales tools used are independent policies designed and implemented at the retailer management. We would recommend contacting another Land Rover retailer in your area for a more comprehensive pricing comparison. Land Rover retailers can be found by searching our online database at www.LandRover.com, or by contacting our Owner Care department at (800) 637-6837 weekdays from 8am-8pm EST" All I wanted was a simple yes or no!
    They just used corporation speak. Most companies today would answer the same way. Many times there are legal considerations involved not known to the general public.
    I have a question: is the wiring to your air bags yellow? and are the sensors in the front of the engine compartment, behind the head lamps??? I was visiting my mechanic yesterday and he was adding accessories to another '96 almost identical to mine except the kid put over 2grand worth of gadgets on it!... well, I won't even go one about that.... anyway his disco was built 1/96 and mine 6/96 yet I have no exposed yellow wiring for the air bags, nor the front sensors!! Any input?? In six months did LR change the location for the sensors? did they put the wiring in the cabin area instead? Any and all input appreciated.. THANKS!! LK
  • erikjerikj Member Posts: 14
    It's a little off-topic, but I remember what happened to Apple Computer when they strayed away from the corporate story. The fine print in one of their national ads quoted the price of some new model as: "$3495 List (but who pays list anymore?)". Their dealers went ballistic and the ad was pulled pretty quickly.

I think you got a pretty good answer from LRNA. If you reduce the verbage, you get a "Yes". However, many LR dealers are owned by LRNA itself, which might impose limits on discounts. Dealers not owned by LRNA always seem to find more latitude to deal.

If you are ready to buy, go in on the last day of the month and you'll probably strike a decent deal. In my case, I checked out the inventory once a week for a month before I bought. I got to know what day of the week the new trucks came in. At the end of the month, a truck configured how I wanted was unspoken for, and I drove away at just above 7% off list. That was April of '99 when D-IIs were very new and still pretty scarce.

Moving units off the lot can at times be as important as the margin on the car itself. Most dealers make a mint on service, especially warranty work ;-). If you have a great buying experience and get a good deal, they'll get it all back (plus more) over the next few years.
    Are owned by LRNA, all are independent businesses.
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    Well, I'm still here ! Hello "wasko"! I still can't believe that people are complaining so much about LR gas mileages. I've yet to get less than 16.5 mpg on my 00 DII (unless I'm off-road, in low box). I get 19 on the highway. I've said it many times before, that is better, or just as good, as my Toyota 4x4 (small) truck. And off-road, there is NO comparison.

Also, at 15,000 miles, I've not yet had even one problem to complain about, aside from the minor, occasional body or suspension noise you hear when the road is rough.

I went to the Int'l. auto show two days ago, and planted my butt in every SUV there - there is nothing that compares to the land rover in style, comfort, seating position, and I'm sure, off-road ability. Most of these damn "carified" SUV's all look the same, and your [non-permissible content removed] is way down in the seat , just like a stupid car. I thank god I was smart enough to get a square, box like, real truck before FORD ruins it and turns it into a mamamobile.
    Oops. I had thought otherwise.

- EJ
    have a lot of money tied up in their dealerships, especially the stand alone Centres. There are at present 130 Land Rover dealers in the US, 87 are Centres. Sales last year were about 28,000 vehicles, so on average a retailer sells 17 vehicles per month. That's one reason that their isn't a lot of discounts on Land Rover's. An average medium domestic dealer sells 2-300 cars per month, and they are constantly undercutting each other, hence they sell at just over invoice.
  • dakota16dakota16 Member Posts: 1
    About one year ago I purchased a new 2000 Discovery II fully loaded from Land Rover Mission Viejo, California. My experience was not a pretty one. After driving the truck home, the next morning at startup the drivers seat failed to work and the ACE suspension also failed and would not work, due to a broken ACE actuator. Taking 2 weeks to get a part to fix. Next the truck would steer and veer dangerously and after a dealer inspections, they found the steering stabilizer had disconnected. This with less then 100 miles. One week later, my wife took it to the store and our children ages 4-2 and 6 mos got locked/trapped inside. Nothing would unlock the doors and when the key was tried in the drivers door it would just spin, it was hooked to nothing. Very scary! The story goes on and on, the truck has had 72 problem, here are the highlights. Front differential spun a bearing front gears and bearings changes-2330 miles, Brakes failed-replaced 3 times rotors and pads-450 miles. Locks on entire truck changed 3 times due to malfunction. Windshield heating element broke had to be replace, one week later new windshield cracked due to poor installation. Lights inside worked right maybe a handful of times. Truck leaked everywhere, ACE pump,tranny. At startup truck would smoke due to a bad valve seat. Transmission fluid line exploded on highway almost causing a major crash, then ABS brakes failed due to trans fluid spraying on them. Seat switches, window motors, locks, windshield, drive train, transmission, brakes, idler pulley . This truck was in the shop all the time, $18000 in warranty service work in the first 6 months. This is the first time I had a problem with transportation. I wish this experience on no-one, I bought a Lemon. My point in writing this is more about the hassle of owning a Lemon. I was not treated well by Land Rover USA or Land Rover Mission Viejo. No customer should have to go through the hassles offered by Land Rover. It took me 1 year, a Lemon Law lawyer and the loss of a family transpotation to finally get them to take it back. When I did take it in to get my money back, the dealer tried to charge me over $3000 for bogus repairs. They cracked the headlight washer cover which is plastic and failed and had to be fixed under warranty. They wanted $300 for a $20 plastic cover. The dealers love these trucks, because they get paid warranty monies to fix these things. They make out while you drive a rent a car. What I did after two weeks of delivery, was not make a payment to BMW leasing, for the duration 1 year. The Lemon Law lawyer, told the leasing company they too would be brought into the suit, so they took no payments and did not report on credit. BMW credit was very understanding and a class act. Next the lawyer had the truck independantly looked at and verified all problems. If you are looking to buy one be careful, a machine can be fixed or replaced, but the time and effort involved for me was such burden on me and my family. I have owned many new cars and trucks, many Mercedes, including a ML 320 which was traded in on this Land Rover. The customer service through the Mercedes brand is much better, Land Rover has along way to go. My final comment is when I went to buy that Land Rover, I wanted something to drive and explore with. I did not want a truck that I had to take to the dealer every week. My Mercedes' get service 2 to 3 times during a 2 year lease and then get turn back in, that what I expect. Good luck to all current and future owners.
  • patmarcpatmarc Member Posts: 2
    Just an update on my Rover experience so far. My 2000 DII, loaded sans ACE, now has 15000 miles. So far we have put up with 1) small coolant leak (yippee, I'm a "real Roverer"), 2)one burnt parking light, 3)one check engine lighting after a torrential rainstorm, 4)electrical failure caused by wire short, 5)stabilizer bar replacement caused by improper towing (see#4).
    Everything was replaced/restored under warranty by an extremely courteous service department. When She runs there is nothing better. When problems happen, I can't wait to get her out of the shop.
    My Toyota pickup is as reliable as my Seiko watch but there is no emotional attachment. The Seiko resides in my bureau, the Toyota spends most of the time at the deer lease. The Discovery that I drive, like the Omega that I wear, was hand-built by craftsmen that were focused with the task of building the best product that they could make (hopefully not just before or after a soccer weekend).
    Are there vehicles with better build records? No argument there, yes. Would I own them? Why bother, I already have one of the best purpose-built, fun, luxurious, vehicles made.
    Last note, I have nothing against the gas mileage. I just wish that it was regular fuel that it burned. And, judging from previous posts it looks like how the Dealership handles your "challenges" makes all the difference in how your come to appreciate your truck.

Happy Rovering,
    Pat
  • mwilmemwilme Member Posts: 8
    We took at a look at a Disco this last weekend and I was surprised at the small door openings. The front doors only seem to open to about 60 degrees and the rear doors about the same with a narrower opening and the chance as you get out to rub your pants/dress/coat over the body metal of the wheel arch potentiall transferring road dirt to your clothes.

Is this something that is a real world issue ???
    The door openings are smaller (especially in back) mainly because the D-II wheelbase is pretty short (100"). The short wheelbase is an example of the overall D-II design bias for off-road use.

I have 2 small kids. The oldest has no problem scampering in and out without getting dirty as long he does not rub up or (more typically) lean on the tires (an issue for any car). My youngest has to be put into a child seat by hand. The height of the car can make it awkward for less-than-tall people to maneuver a small child into the car seat. But that's not usually a door-size issue.

The rear arch can get dusty after off-roading, but not so much from regular use. I live in a dry climate so someone else might have to comment on how wet the arch gets in rainy weather. In any case, I can't recall a problem getting clothes messed up by the wheel arch.

Hope this helps,

- EJ
  • mwilmemwilme Member Posts: 8
    Reading through the posts on this baord there are a lot of negative posts. Now either the LR is a 'bad' vehicle with a range of problems or the people who have the problems are posting them and the happy owners are out off roading and not posting.

which is it ?

Please try to be fair.

Also - TMV for an SD is quoted by Edmunds at 31,720, which seems reasonable. Does anyone know if LR is offering special financing or leasing on this vehicle or what the forecast resuidual is at 3 years / 36K miles ?
    Land Rover has a $399 Lease on the SD and has reduced the customer down payment $1000 to $1995. They also have 4.9 financing for 36 month, 5.9 financing on 48/60 month purchases.
  • jwl2001jwl2001 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II last October in San Diego. Its a Silver SE7, with ACE and lightstone interior. As a side note, it did not have the rear air. The benefit is you have more rear cargo room than rear air equipped vehicles.

Based on several of the negative posts on this site, we were somewhat skeptical to proceed, but based on comparison test drives of Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5, Toyota 4Runner and the likes, the Discovery met our needs the best - real off-road capability, 7 passenger capacity, and a luxury feel. Fit and finish was the best, quality feel/toughness was by far the best, the ACE suspension gave the best road feel and confidence, versatility was best, ride height and panaromic viewing was the best, and looks were unique and attractive.

We were able to negotiate $2000 off list.

To date, we've accumulated approximately 7000 miles, all of which have been trouble free. The ride is tight, the engine, though relatively low on power compared to other SUV's, is adequate, the fuel economy ranges between 14 and 17 (city/highway). There haven't been any squeaks and rattles to speak of.

We've had it off-road numerous times and the vehicle is amazing. Recently during a blizzard while skiing at Big Bear, we were comfortably passing all the other 4X4's, (Big Chevy's pick-ups, other SUV's,). You could tell they were frustrated in that they could not catch up. The Discovery was absolutely stable and confident at speeds the others wouldn't dare - and we didn't have chains! During another outing in the Cuymaca's, a driver in a Toyota pick-up approached us and ask if were having any difficulties - naturally, we weren't, but he was getting stuck everywhere in the deep snow and mud!

Anyway, in summary, the vehicle is delightful to own and drive, has been as reliable as anything else I've owned, and to date, though limited, the dealer experience has been solid.
  • zero3zero3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am thinking about buying one very soon and am doing research. Many of you are very unhappy with this truck and some love it. I live in New England and an all road truck is needed for 2/3 of the year. My car is just not cutting it and it is almost 10 years old. Anyway my goal is to get an SUV to deal with harsh weather and last about 10 years in good shape. So if anyone could post or email your thoughts and advice I would be thankful. If you hate this truck please tell me why and what if you could buy again pick. The max I am able to spend is $40,000. Thank You all for your time and help. My email is imagicaworld@mediaone.net

Paul
    It's been said many times before, but owning a Rover is a love/hate thing. If you get a good one then you're in for years of exceptional service. If you get a bad one then you're in for incredible headaches. If your service department will work (HARD) with you, then you will solve the problems, resulting in the truck you want.

My experience followed the 2nd route, though with not quite as much trouble as others have had. My service folks went the distance (Land Rover Anchorage... GREAT guys) and I'm happy as a clam at high tide. I wouldn't own any other truck. But when I'd owned it for 3 or 4 months I was ready to GIVE the !#@$%#!^ truck back to them and be done with it.

These are hand-built trucks. There is nothing "magic" about them, they are simply trucks but there are complex systems and parts are expensive. They are supremely capable offroad and in poor conditions... which is why I own one. I won't trust my family with anything less.

I work on my own vehicles, and these are easy to work on. There are many excellent discussion groups on the web and they'll bend over backward to answer your questions. But you've got to be proactive, and do the maintenance. You'll get your hands very dirty, very often... but before 6 months are out, you'll be driving a truck you've named... not just "bought". People name the things that matter to them, not their appliances.

That's what this boils down to... your high expectations, the way the truck more than meets these expectations, and the violation of trust you will feel when she lets you down. If you do your work, then she probably won't ever strand you or break in the bush. If you don't, then you're gambling.

Take your time, pick out a good year-old truck with service history. Let someone else take the first-owner bath and produce service visits for you. Investigate everything, then make your decision. If you're lucky you might find one that someone HAD to part with unwillingly, with few service visits. She's your baby.

Regards, -Bob

'96 Disco "Anuqa"
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I see a lot of '95-'97 Discos for sale in the $16k-$20k range.

What years are best? What years or models to avoid?
    I have a question: is the wiring to your air bags yellow? and are the sensors in the front of the engine compartment, behind the head lamps??? I was visiting my mechanic yesterday and he was adding accessories to another '96 almost identical to mine except the kid put over 2grand worth of gadgets on it!... well, I won't even go one about that.... anyway his disco was built 1/96 and mine 6/96 yet I have no exposed yellow wiring for the air bags, nor the front sensors!! Any input?? In six months did LR change the location for the sensors? did they put the wiring in the cabin area instead? Any and all input appreciated.. THANKS!! LK
    On 96-on Discoverys after Vin TA534103/TA198222 (2 production lines) they went to a single point sensing system on the airbags. This did away with the remote front sensors, they put the sensor in the SRS ECU in the console. The wiring in the SRS harness should still be yellow, but it does not run into the engine compartment.
  • lesterdalelesterdale Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to introduce myself.
    Live in Melbourne Australia, own a 1995 Disco Dual Fuel(Petrol & LPG),BFG M/T 245/75r16's. looking at trading in on a DII at end of year. Love getting out anywhere in the aussie bush and exploring. Lots of scratches = lots of fun.
    I have an initial question. Recently lost one of the end rubber caps off the right front axle, along with some diff oil while out bush. Replaced the cap, about a week later the left one goes but no oil lost...hmmmmm

Anyway good to be here.... Lester
  • rj17rj17 Member Posts: 7
    Greeting all! I soon will be in the market for a 01/02 Disco LE7. I have thought it out long & hard and I'm going with my heart. Those other pretender suv's, you can have them. Keeping up with the Jones' is for the birds(Ford,Chevy ect.). It's time to lead. I'm looking to purchase around June. However,I hear that the 02's will have a design change. Does anyone have any information on what this new design is going to look like. I have gone to the LR's web site and located a picture of the 02 Range Rover, but there is nothing about the 02 Disco. I would appreciate any info concerning the new body style.

For those interested in seeing the 02 Rover's,just go to LR's web page and click on the South Africa site. There you will find the info.

Thanks in advance.:)
    The 02 model will not be different, update scheduled for 03.
  • awseymourawseymour Member Posts: 18
    Hi gang,

I have a 2000 Discovery, built in March 2000, shipped to Baltimore in April, I picked it up in Maine in October with 5 miles on the odo. Only problems was a defective transmission control module which the computer didnt like and all but killed the engine. Dealer fixed promptly after having it towed to Maine (from southern NH). Otherwise battery had bad cell, again able to drive and replaced OK. Small leak in sun roof but with the bad roads around here its a glass alignment thing and they fixed it. (Still I carry a towell until spring.) Had the "brake" warning light come on, but turned out the sensor in the fluid tank was crooked. They replaced it anyway.
    I love it overall, just hope being an early on car, and sitting in ocean climates for 7 months and not being driven it doesnt have any lurking problems. Only other complaint is trying to keep it clean here in New England. Muddy Oval is right.
    Pip pip