Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• mlprus8890mlprus8890 Member Posts: 1
    There is a law against refusing warranty service for lack of having prevetative maintenance done at the dealership.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. §2302(c), prohibits manufacturers of consumer products from conditioning warranty coverage on the use of any article or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name unless such articles or services are either provided to the consumer for free or the manufacturer proves that the warranted product will function properly only if such articles or services are used in connection with the product. This is known as the prohibition against "tie-in sales requirements."
  • charlie42charlie42 Member Posts: 1
    My overdrive light was flashing.My trans was shifting very hard in 1st 2nd &3rd, I ran a scanner on it,came up with code 1746.My trans was ok i just replaced the shift pack solinoid. The part was about 325$. Shifts fine now,not sure what is goin on with yours,run a scan on it first before you take it to a shop.
  • gerlad1gerlad1 Member Posts: 22
    Two questions actually,,,
    One,, apparently my 04 6.0L has an external transmission filter.. I had the transmission flushed at the Ford Dealership (75,000miles) and they told me that they "never" change the transmission filter (only flush) since the filter change was an unnecessary expense. Any experience with this? I am reluctant to not change the filter since I would assume it serves a purpose or wouldn't be there
    Second--I have periodically put the diesel additive in my fuel tank for lubrication of the injectors (now that low sulfur is here). But, not sure this is necessary. Any thoughts on this--added expense. Diesel is up to $4/gal here in south Texas.
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    I too have an 04PSD 6.0 F-250. If i were you, I would insist on the transmission filter change. These days, to appease the Eco-[non-permissible content removed] it is politically correct to not create as much waste as possible. Why do you think they are telling you to change your oil every 5K mi?
    Since they (the Eco_[non-permissible content removed]) won't be paying any of your repair bills, what do they care?
    I use the additive by RBP (or BRP?) a $23.00 bottle treats hundreds of gallons, so it is not very expensive. I use the additive that just protects. They have one that ups the Cetane level, but it costs more.
    In spite of the local Ford service "advisors" telling me that I did not need to change out the external transmission filter on my 04 truck, and that it was a 1 + hour job to change the filter,,,, I went ahead and bought one from Napa ($19) and it took me about 10 minutes to change it out. They (Ford) had flushed the trans twice for me over the years--but never changed the filter. The fluid looked good,, (recently flushed tranny) but filter looked REALLY bad. Easy to get to filter,, 22mm socket,,key was to use an impact to knock it loose--then rachet to tighten. Right under radiator and un-obstructed. FYI..
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Not sure where you are, but here in Denver there is place I can Ford OEM replacement Injectors is TK Distributors, not sure what they want for 6.0 but for 7.3 they have them for around 175.00 a piece for them.
    Hey people sorry for not being able to read some of these posts but after looking through them I will give you some places to go for replacement parts for your Trucks that are either the same as OEM Ford parts or better. One is the TK Distributors here in Denver adn I think they have others places not sure about that. Also I replaced my Transmission from a local guy here for my 2001 Diesel and it was around 2300.00. I asked him who he uses when he has to ship one out of state and he told me most Trucking companies like PIE, Roadway and those will pretty much ship one for him for less than 150.00, the Tranny also comes with a new Torgue Converter. If you can change brakes & hubs on your truck you can change out your tranny. Also on the Injectors I don't think a lot of you know it but you can go to Places like Peirs Harry out of Canada for the same price Ford wants for there's and get more HP ones. If you are sending 4000.00 for Ford OEM's that kind of money from them will anywhere from 75HP to 125HP Injectors and with more HP out of your Truck the better Fuel mileage you will get unless you are racing it all the time like me, lol. Thats how come them and other places like ATS, Eilte , Etc. are doing so well and that is because they can sell you Injectors that give you more Horse Power for the Same Price as Ford OEM's Injectors.

All the Places I just said all have Web sites so check them out for your self. the only place that doesn't is Dwayne for the Trannys but if anyone wants his number just ask me and I will post it in here. He is a really good Tranny builder and builds any Vehicle but he is only in Denver.

Also I just checked only because I couldn't remember, lol. But Piers Harry changed thier name to Peak Diesel Performance. I was also pulling up others like ATS, Elite-Diesel, BD Diesel and all of them you can get more HP Injectors for under the 4000.00.

Tony
  • johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    One of the surest ways there is to create automatic transmission problems is to fail to keep them filled to the proper level. When you check the engine oil, and you have the hood up, check the transmission level. Right behind that cause of transmission failure is failure to replace the oil. I change oil AND filter at 25,000 and then at 75,000 and every 50,000 after that unless the oil gets hot. The cabbies have a transmission oil temperature gage which has a yellow and a red zone on it. Get one. If the oil temp ever hits the red zone, they go directly to the shop and change oil. Oil is cheap, transmission repairs are not. I haven’t “lost” an automatic transmission in years.
  • johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    With the price they get for rebuilding transmissions I think I shall have to get out from behind the wheel and learn to rebuild transmissions.
    The over the road competition is terrific and costs are eating my lunch, and I have too many miles on this “chassis” to want to do this much longer.
    My son became a transmission man and gained a reputation for quality work. In contrast with many shops, he studied the factory manual until he could recite tolerances and pressures and configurations. Now isn’t that a “novel” concept. He had a fellow come to his shop from over 700 miles away with a transmission in the pickup box. The fellow wanted the transmission to have a certain set of shifting characteristics, so John built it for him to his specks. John did not advertise or even list as a transmission man because he had all the work he could handle, so when he had finished, the fellows transmission, he asked “how in the world did you hear about me?”. He said that he had been talking to a trucker about what he needed in a transmission, and the trucker had told him about John’s shop. He no longer does transmissions, but has his own shop and crew which does specialty work on dies which are malfunctioning.
    Sounds like good transmission men are hard to come by, and my son surely can get me started.
  • yankee31yankee31 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my used truck year ago and all seemed fine. after 3 months while sitting at a red light truck just quit. ( like turning key off ) so restarted truck and away i went. month later same thing. Now it has got my attention. now truck will stall out when Im slowing down to go into a turn or at 80 - 120 k`s its wants to quit ( hasn`t yet) It is now doing this about 6 to 10 times a day this is really annoying the good news is the truck will always start. Changed fuel filter. (still have stalling problem) I am taking truck to mech. tomorrow to hopefully search out problem. been looking around these forums some think it to be IPC sensor (injection control sensor) or CPS (cam position sensor) Im at my wits end love this truck but it is driving me nuts. Truck has 118451 kilometers. I am new to the diesel truck owners please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Check my posting # 195 of December 3.. I had an almopst identical problem with my 04 diesel. Have not had one problem since the Dec. 3 repair.--ie Ford changed out both ends of an electrical connector which was giving an erratic fuel pressure signal.
    GG
    I saw in one of the earlier postings of a few months ago--that you wouldn't be caught dead without using a fuel lubricant additive to compensate for the low sulfur now in diesel fuel.
    Which additive do you use?
    GG
  • yankee31yankee31 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info gerlad1 have taken truck to mech and we took it for test drive with code reader attached. 2 codes came up relating to the cam sensor. truck is running fine and he cant seem to find any problems (typical never stalls when your with the mech) I kind of hope its my cam sensor but not so keen on the $431.00 for the part. Once again if anyone has a similar problem relating to 1996 7.3 ltr power stroke diesel please let me know. Check my last post #318.

Thanks.
  • scotty971scotty971 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Powerstroke that would stall out when hot and idled down from a hot run. The dealor just replaced the Camshaft position sensor free as part of a recall. I don't know for sure if it is fixed but hope to make a trip shortly to check it out.
  • 97powerstroke97powerstroke Member Posts: 1
    Since we are talking about Stalling i have a 97 crew cab f350 powerstroke 7.3 that will stall every now again? Sometimes it will start right back-up othertimes it can take 5-20 min. I have taken it to ford they can't find any problem nore codes. I have replaced the cam censor two times and the glow plug relay. Other than that it runs great. Any help would be great ty
  • yukon102yukon102 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: 2000 Ford F350 .
    Vehicle has 117k miles on it and has run great since I got it with 50k. Over the past month the truck, intermittently, refuses to turnover. Happens when it’s hot and cold. All dash board, electrics are strong and starter clicks but vehicle will not turn over. Batteries were replaced 8 months ago, alternator replaced 2 months ago. Wait a couple of minutes or bang the dash board and it starts right up. Not sure if the banging helps but it makes me feel better. I have had it at Ford twice now and they just keep tightening the battery terminals. Same mechanic both times, sounds like a token answer to me. Dealerships stated that electric diagnostics are clear from starter to engine and were not able to replicate the problem when they had it.
    Hate to tell you but you are going to have to look more into the Dash board or Steering. There is a Wire more than likely that has cracked or came lose and the sightest movement is letting it start again or you have a relay that is acting up, either way I myself hate messing with the Electrical on any Vehicle and wish you luck.
  • chas1969chas1969 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have the 2004 F350 powerstroke service manual that they would care to share. If it is on your comp. Or a site that would.Thank you :) ">
  • bridmtnbridmtn Member Posts: 1
    The past year I have owned a F-250 powerstroke that seems to have poor low end power and fuel economy. My 1st tank of fuel got me about 16.3 mpg but since it has dropped down to about 13.6mpg. This truck has 92K miles, auto trans. w/aftermarket 4 in. exhaust and no cat converter. There is a bad turbo whistle at highway speed and I am wondering if there needs to be more backpressure in the exhaust. I have changed the fuel/air filters, run fuel conditioner and installed a Super Chip to no avail. The fuel mileage never changed. What puzzles me is the fact that the 1st tank of fuel mileage was great. My girlfriend's 97 has a lot more power and gets 17mpg!

Thanks
  • orcowboyorcowboy Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 powerstroke i had the same problem i changed the cam posion sencer. fired up and ran not problem. went to napa paid $35.00 for stock sencer. there is a recall on them from 1997 on. ford dealer will fix it free.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    What year 7.3 engines do you like? I am watching for a pre 1997 F250. I like a full sized truck vs the Ranger I am now driving. F250 diesels are not that expensive in the 10+ year old range. I like the old style better also.
  • pwrstrkinpwrstrkin Member Posts: 4
    i wrk at the dealer and if i told that to a customer than i probably would not be employed there anymore. for one you dont turn down buisness especially trks. i knw the 6.0's r prolemsum but when performing correctly they are a really good dependble engine. too bad you dont live in the metro-detroit area.....that means money warranty or not u knw.
    can get you manual....hard copy if posible. do u have problem with ur trk or jst want manual. i wrk at the dealer. email pbeu135@hotmail.com
    430 bucks for the part......! holy!@#$ ford dealer $28.00 new style.part of the recall 07s57 no matter mileage
  • gibby3gibby3 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1999 f350 dually 7.3 powerstroke. it starts most of the time but latley only when cold it just turns over,smokes out the exhaust.no fault code registered.replaced relay for glow plugs also oil temp and 2 atmospheric switches.if i leave it for a period of time not always the same and go back it will start first turn.any help will be appricated.
  • chas1969chas1969 Member Posts: 4
    I live in Jackson Mi and I would greatly appreciate more than you would ever imagine . I have a 2002 F150 service manual on DVD to give you although you probably already have it . I allso have a service manual on my bike it covers several kawasakis around 85 to 87 eliminators that is also on Dvd . I am trying to be able to do alot of work on this truck myself. It is running good now but I want to learn this truck I hope to have it for the next 12 years. Thank you so much. chas1969@frontiernet.net
    well it sounds like you replaced everything else that it usually is....although sometimes it is the pcm. the pcm all it does is grounds the glow plug circuit. you have to rule out also the possibility of the uvc(under the valve cover) harness connections...but you might have experienced some drive concerns. if all ok most likely it is the pcm. dealer cost about i think $380 has to be programmed in tho. it sucks tho because you cant directly test the pcm. you have to hook up a break out box(which only the dealer has) to the pcm and ground that circuit manualy to verify wiring integrity. good luck email with results pbeu135@hotmail.com
  • gibby3gibby3 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your help ,i now have the problem of finding a dealer in scotland with the software to program in the pcm.if anyone nows of anybody even in britian,i dont mind traveling,realy enjoy driving my ford.thanks
  • rondo8rondo8 Member Posts: 2
    In the first 82,000 miles of owning my F350 Power Stroke 2001 Diesel truck I have encountered.
    1. Rebuilding the transmission on two occasions once with replacement of the converter.
    2. Replaced all three wiring harnesses, right side injector, left side injector as well as engine harness.
    3. Replaced starter.
    4. Replaced injector #4 one time and injector #8 three times (one time may have been due to improper installation by ford mechanic.
    5. Had the engine removed two time by a Ford dealer to find the "knock" (due to #8 injector). Subsequently, the rear manifold was reinstalled by a Ford dealer improperly causing vapors to leak into the truck compartment as well as the heat burning a 11" hold in the firewall blanket. This was repaired by another Ford dealer when I took it in because of the toxic fumes.

I am told that "things break", by a service manager at a Ford dealer. Do these problems seem excessive or am I just causing trouble by complaining as it has been suggested by a Ford dealer?

I have to date, spent an average of $1700.00 per year to maintain this truck.
    This first part is for the guy I talked to about 10 days ago that lives here in Denver, after meeting the lawyer for my divorce I forgot to write down or save your number so please call me back and I can give you Dewanyes number on your tranny.

As far as only having 82K on your truck and having to replace the tranny twice you must be pulling something but hopefully it was covered by Ford and you didn't have to pay for the replacement of the tranny. Ford's tranny's suck if you are pulling anything over 3000K pounds more than once a year, if pulling any weight or a daily, weekly or monthly basic's they will not hold up.
    The Injectors though that is a few, usually I hear of maybe one and even two going out but that many is uncommon.
    Even though Ford Dealers send their guys to learn how to work on our trucks the right way doesn't always mean they will. Sounds like to switched Ford Dealers to work on your truck and hopefully that one will do a better job.
    The Starter is really uncommon to have to replace on them, I usually don't have to replace one untill I have over 200K miles on mine and even then it was still working good I thought and when I replaced the Batteries my guy said the Starter could and should be replace as well and I had the extra money so I did, but I have not truly had one go out on me nor my brother who just got rid of his 96 F350 that had over 350K miles on it.
    The wiring is something that you just never know about, I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota and 3 months after buying it new the Fuse Box Melted, lol. When something like that happens on a new Vehicle it's kind of a freak thing and mark it down to bad luck.
    To continue with the last post or two---I will not go into the series of times my 2004 F250 has been "in the shop" but latest problem I find out (by looking at the other Ford truck forum) is also a common one--and needs to be fixed by Ford engineers.
    While hooking up to a friends flat bed trailer, I found out the hard way there was a short in the trailer run lights. Blew my # 38 20 amp fuse--which was no problem to replace. However, apparently the episode fried the tow park light relay. Unfortunately, some engineer decided to make this part of the central junction (fuse) box and this relay is embedded in plastic. After finding a wiring diagram and a couple of trips to the two local Ford dealerships--I finally found out I had two options--replace the fuse junction box--or unbolt it and tie into the wiring behind it and install an after market relay --which I did for about $15 plus my time. Central Junction Box was $289 + tax so I didn't replace it. Apparently this relay problem is very common--unfortunately, the trailer park/run light relay is apparently the only relay un-serviceable.
    Gerald
  • rondo8rondo8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the transmission was not under warrenty. The first time it was at 38,000 with the warrenty going out at 36,000. I do tow a 5th wheel however it is supposed to be able to handle it according to the manufacture. The main problems happened after 75,000 miles, I spent over $9,000.00 in repairs over a 11 month period. Hopefully, it is fixed now and will keep me happy for several miles in the future. I am told it is still a new vehicle since it only has 84,000 miles
  • superduty3superduty3 Member Posts: 11
    have a question about tow haul swith on a 2004 f-350 6.0 in manuel it says to use when towing or hauling heavy in bed, will it hurt truck or tranny to use in daily driving empty. when using with switch on i am averaging about 4 mpg better. every little bit helps am up to 28 mpg average. thanxs

SUPERDUTY
  • kjones3kjones3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 6.0 powerstroke with 72k miles and it leaks coolant at night when it is not running. Every morning when I come out there is a puddle on the passenger side coming from somewhere up the back side of the motor. Any suggestions?
  • paulpe99paulpe99 Member Posts: 6
    Has someone else seen this code? I have a 2003 (05/2003) Ford F250 Crew Cab SuperDuty 6.0L Diesel truck. I've recently installed a 4" turboback MBRP 409ss exhaust system, an AFE stage II intake, Banks 6-gun tuner w/pda. Those add-ons were installed after I had my 2nd blown turbo replaced. The EGR valve was removed and cleaned two weeks ago. I just started adding Lucas Fuel Treatment to each tank full of fuel. The P0132B is also accompanied with a P0402 code. I've done a search of the Net, but can't find anything. Any serious input would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • winderdoodlewinderdoodle Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I found an awesome deal on a '04 F250 Powerstroke diesel but want to know what I'm getting into before I make a purchase. I've checked around and not really found anything too specific as to the issues these trucks generally have other than the recall issues. I've looked on consumer reports and they note major engine trouble as a caution but don't go into detail as to what that means.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any insight into this year/model specifically.

Thanks in advance.
    I am and will always be a Ford Truck owner BUT the one truck I will never own of Ford is any truck they made between 2003 & 2007 or any with the 6.0L motor in it. A lot of the 2003's Ford had to buy back and even into the 2004's models. If it is a Screaming deal like or like you say a Awesome deal than more than likely the owner has it running again and is trying to dump it before it breaks down again. There is really not much diffence in the 2002 model with the safer 7.3L in it which is what you might want to go with. Of course I am not sure why anyone would want to keep there Diesel with the price of fuel, I love my truck but at 4.30 per gallon for fuel it's a little hard to drive it. Lucky for me the back up Vehicle is a Vette so it's not like I am down grading by not driving the truck, lol.
  • superduty3superduty3 Member Posts: 11
    i have a 04 f-350 with a 6.0, would not trade or drive anything else. had a egr problem at 100k to the tune of 5oo bucks in parts, would have cost about 2500 at dealer. truck gets 28 mpg with a few mods, nothing major and no programmer.

SUPERDUTY
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    I have an '04 F-250 PSD 6.0 and have had a small fuel leak that was fixed by the dealer under warranty and the serpentine belt was noisy, so my dealer replaced it for free.
    No problems so far. Having said that, I must say that it only has about 34K miles on it. I put the whole Banks kit in it and it rocks!
  • kart24kart24 Member Posts: 3
    My recent problem is very similar,

fuse #45 blew the first time after replacing the alternator with a bad diode

the gauges/ instrument panel goes dorment, but the F250 diesel is still drivable

the tow switch is also dorment at the same time.

The fuse (10amp #45) seems to more commonly blow at startup or shortly after

Any additional info appreciated
  • colocraigcolocraig Member Posts: 3
    My bro-in law has an '04 F-250 crewcab diesel 6.0 coming off lease. The pay off is reasonable, the truck has been a good performer for him, 70k miles. I am only a recreational user, would haul some sleds up and over the pass in the winter and other toys in the summer, maybe put a pop-up on it. Price is good, but all these posts have me awake at night. No mods done-all stock. Any reassuring words out there? extended warranty is available but seems to have a lot of weasel words in it.
    I just had a similar post today (6/4) inquiring about the same truck. I like the replies from superduty3 and desmo1, cowboy's keeps me thinking and not buying. In my case I know the truck has not had previous problems, so coyboy's theory about getting it running and unloading it is not the case. Anyway winderdooodle, did you end up with the '04 F250? if so I'm curious how good of deal you found and if you're glad you did it.
    Well good deals won"t last forever. ended up getting a F-350 6.0. no history of problems. Once the warranty runs out in May of '09 will be looking for advice on what to add to improve performance, chips, air in, exhaust, etc. I have heard of the Banks kit would like to get some feedback. on the best pakage. Also if anyone has a nice package for a winch set-up on the front of a F350 without causing the facrotrry fogs to be useless, please let me know. Manufacturer or email/web-site including possible chip/programmer and levelizer. thanks. Go Ford, nice truck. cfd
    I am guessing since you know for sure that the Warranty will be good till May 09 that you are not driving it very much, lol. The 6.0L is one of Fords biggest mistakes. They weaken the Gaskets and such so that people could not put chips or re program them for more horse power. If you are new to this site just watch the Posts for a while and just about everyone that has done what you wanna do has had problems. As far as Banks goes you are paying for the name, there are many other products that are just as good and a lot better for a lower price. Since there is not ONE AFTER MARKET company that Warranty from the damage there product will cause your motor why pay top dollar for more power when you are just going to have to replace the motor quicker by adding all that power, lol.
    A Wench now the ones that look really good do cost some money, my neighbor has a really nice looking Wench but I think he paid damn near 1000 for it if I remember right, that was probably Installed though too. If you are wanting a Picture of it and other information on it just reply back to this post.

Cowboy
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This engine had problems at first, no doubt about it. Ford used a novel approach to fuel injection, controling it with BOTH electronics AND oil pressure. By the end of the production cycle, they seem to have this approach working good, but they did not carry it over to the new 6.4L

Some of the parts for the engine were just not designed well, manufactured well, or both.

That being said, a lot of the worst problems were owner exacerbated. THE WORST thing you can do to a 6.0L or 6.4L is to try to modify the engine.

A lot of guys who previously owned the 7.3 which was as diesels go a very low tech engine had modified it with different control programs, different turbos, different this different that.

When they purchased a 6.0, they assumed that they could do the same things and they paid dearly. Definately don't touch a 6.0L that was modified.

Mark.
  • brenner75brenner75 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 7.3 diesel in an Excursion. I have noticed water dripping out of the exhaust pipe just these last couple of days. Any word on what may cause this, other than head or exhaust gaskets?
    Thanks, Brian
    Hey Brian,
    Thats is not a good sign at all. Hopefully you have a shop close to you that is good and doesn't charge you and Arm & Leg to work on it like it cost to fill it up.
  • brenner75brenner75 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Cowboy9,
    Can you tell me what is going on with water coming out of my exhaust?
    Brian
  • speedymike136speedymike136 Member Posts: 1
    ive been having a problem when i rev the engine in neutrul or while driving down the road and let off the engine drops to a really low idle, almost stalls for a second or two thn back to normall idle speed. Also after the engine is warm and i shut it down when i restart it idles very low for a couple seconds then gets normall. It starts fine cold and runs perfect when i am on the throttle, no smoke ever out the exhaust, i cant figure out whats wrong. So far i have replaced the fuel filter, ran injector cleaner, replaced the cam possition sensor, replaced the icp sensor, and drained the fuel and put new stuff in does anyone have an idea what could do this? everything works fine except at an idle it has me stumped!
  • fast03fast03 Member Posts: 2
    My F250 has a 6.0 motor.I just had the head gasket replace about 3 months ago.But when the truck is cold it has no power to move.If I am park on a hill when the motor is cold the truck will not move. All my promblems started after I had all the work done.