Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    dealership says theyhave no repair manuel.

That is unacceptable. Have you consulted other dealers or mechanics?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • sportagegirlsportagegirl Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you are still having problems with your Kia, but I had the same thing happen to me with my 96 sportage a few years ago and it turned out to be the timing belt. Hope this helps.
  • fnorris1fnorris1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Sportage that does not show codes. It started running rough after changing the water pump. At first the car ran fine, then it would start a rough idle at stop signs
    and stop lights. Check eng.light did come on then. If you would turn car off it would run fine again until you slowed to idle speed, this progressively got worse until car will crank but has has extremely rough idle. Only code I ever got was a cylinder misfire and multi cylinder misfire. I have had two mechs try to diagnose the problem but they have been unsusessful, since a dealership has moved in the area I had them look at the car and they said it was the head needed to be rebuilt. Here's what I've done to the car. It only has 60,000 miles on it. It has been a good car and I would like to save it. We rebuilt the head it now has better comp that the manual requires. It did not change a thing. I have replaced the computer twice, replaced the coil packs and spark plugs, replaced the maf sensor. Pulled the fuel rail and checked the injectors. checked the knock sensor and crank sensor. Do not know the voltage for cam sensor. Cannot find a vacuum leak.

Any Ideas, I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions. If you think I need to revisit something I have already done. Please tell me. Thanks in advance.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    have you replaced the catalytic converter yet? You might look into replacing that. Some of the people in the above posts have tried this and it worked for them.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• fnorris1fnorris1 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I have had the cat converter checked, It was fine.
    then I'm sorry you're having that problem. Try going to this website:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB70

There are some Sportage hardcores there and some are very good mechanically. They if anyone on the net should be able to help you. Go there, get a password and join the group. I highly recommend them!

Give it a shot and come back to say what happened, OK? Good fortune to you.

• avwolfavwolf Member Posts: 1
    Did you check the timing? The water pump is under the timing belt and so it had to be removed to put the water pump on, also check to see the cam shaft pully is on tight as well as guide on the camshaft.
  • normanichnormanich Member Posts: 2
    Try the throttle advance sensor. We had a similar problem and that fixed it.
  • normanichnormanich Member Posts: 2
    Try the throttle advance sensor. I think that will fix your problem. Ours was doing that and it fixed it.
  • binhdnbinhdn Member Posts: 4
    hi, thank for Your suggestion, could you give me more informations on it.thanks
  • tcsgirl1978tcsgirl1978 Member Posts: 1
    Tidester,

Just bought a 97 kia sportage today, and so far seems like great vehicle. One problem. It has a fouled plug and needs new spark plug wires. My hubby and I can't find the plugs and can't get a repair manual for it. Looked on kia.com, but can't find it there either. Can anybody help me out? Would really appricate it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you might pick up some tips in Need Help in finding Aftermarket Parts.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wades_mamawades_mama Member Posts: 1
    My kia started idling roughly the other day & the check engine light came on so I went & had it coded at the local parts store. It came back as a misfire in cylinder 3. the guy assured me that it was probably a simple fix either a fouled spark plug or in need on new plug wires. So I want to start with the easy fix first new plugs have done them before on a straight 8 but am unsure how to proceed on this vehicle since the engines in sideways. do I need any special tools besides a plug socket & a gap tool? and can anyone tell me what the gap should be I've looked everywhere & cant find the info thanks
  • jamesy1jamesy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, my 2000 Sportage has recently developed a peculiar problem, it will only rev as high as 2500 to 3000 RPM's and the power out put is quite low. It will only get up to about 80Km/hr max on a level road in high gear; on an incline it will be less. Now it needed a tune-up for quite sometime now so I got that done at a dealership in Toronto; the guy said that the Exhaust Manifold is cracked near the Oxygen Sensor. We left it at that. . . .Any ideas out there? . . .please help!!!! :cry:
    jamesy
  • jariejarie Member Posts: 1
    Hi. My Kia Sportage gives me headache nowadays. It was made in 1997. Recently the alarm keeps going off apparently with no reasons at all. For me, it seems to be too sensitive. It started when I took out the cd player for fixing. Then the Kia went mad every night. Got to disengage the battery to make the alarm stop. Now the alarm went off because of funny reasons like i didnt switch off the radio..etc. Can somebody give me explanation on this problem? Thanks a lot.
  • mo985mo985 Member Posts: 1
    I have read through the previous posts, and found that I seem to have a combination of a few of the differant problems. When you stat the car (01 4x4) it has a high idle, around 2200-2500rpm, will lurch when put into gear and stays high while driving. sometimes you get a check eng light, often you don't. The codes are for MAF and VAF. I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve, and it still does it. While under warranty we had it at the dealers 5 times for the same problem, one time they kept it for a week and replaced the wire harness, claiming bad grounds as the culprit. I was in Iraq and my wife did not know or understand all that they told her. Today it did it again, and this time the Temp gage was going crazy, hot-cold-hot-med-cold-hot. The ironic part, I just paid it off this morning. This problem shows up sporadically, sometimes a week between, sometimes 4 months between. Any suggestions welcome.
    Chris
  • peabo1peabo1 Member Posts: 2
    what is the correct position of timing marks on camshft gears and crankshaft
  • peabo1peabo1 Member Posts: 2
    It is the timing belt! Commond problem with all of them..Replace it.................
  • tr74401tr74401 Member Posts: 1
    what is the timing mark positioning for a 2ooo kia sportage 2.0 engine
  • jamesy1jamesy1 Member Posts: 2
    :cry: Hi all, I blew a motor a while back and I need to find another motor or cylinder head & valves; but these little SUV's are not plentiful. Any Ideas on where I could get another one?

Thanks
    james
  • rocman1rocman1 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem with the check engine light, but found out that the thermostat housing was the cause. They told me that they had to replace mine because of the sensors were not reading right and it was making the light come on. Seams like if Kia knows this they would put a recall out to fix it. So far no more problems. keep you posted.
  • micat02micat02 Member Posts: 1
    my son has a 97 kia sportage and it is running really rough. they found where oil was getting to the spark plugs and fixed that but it still runs really rough. they want to replace the fuel filter but don't know where it is. can anyone tell us? is there a place online that where you can go that will tell you how to fix things? please let us know as soon as possible. it's running him crazy.
  • dougjtdougjt Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem with my 99 sportage running really rough and the engine light has been on for a year.I had it coded (after I was told to put in a mass airflow sensor which did help a little until I was told to undo the battery for 5 min.after which it was the same again)and two problems came up one of which was a misfire on #1.(Where are the dam sparkplugs at?) and the other the mass airflow sensor which I just replaced and did't fix the problem.thanks
  • littlewolflittlewolf Member Posts: 1
    So I have owned a 95 sportage for the last two years. When I first bought the car it ran fine, then after some time it started to run really strange. When it is cold it takes forever to start, I have to repeatedly turn the ignition over to get it to start (at least 20 times very quickly). Then when it is running it will just die for no reason. It will seem like it is running ok then all of a sudden bam it dies. I replaced the Mass Airflow sensor did the tune up and changed all the filters stuff like that. The car ran ok for about 2 months, then the car started doing the same old thing again, plus this time the alternator and the battery both took a fat dump on me while on the freeway. The car died at 65 mph and i pulled over to the side of the road, then it when trying to turn the car over it wouldnt start. I kept trying and the battery must have been working overtime cause even the hazards went out. I replaced the Alternator and the Battery and it runs again but it still wont run right, keeps dieing all the time and wont idle for more then 2 minuets before dieing. Ive been told it might be the ECM but they cost like 2 grand for it....... Any ideas?
    or the Electronic Ccontrol Module? About now is probably when I would take it in to get it looked at by a technician that can run diagnostic tests on it. If you can rent one or know someone who has a diagnostic testing machine try testing it out.

I recently traded in a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 that never had the problems you're describing. It did blow an alternator at about the 88,000 mile mark and at around 92,000 miles it blew a brake light switch. About a total of $395 to get both of those things fixed at an independent mechanic for the alternator and a Kia dealer to get the brake light switch fixed.

It just sounds like your problem might be an ECM but a person can run tests on their SUV to see if this part needs replacing. And, yes, unfortunately, it will cost you a'plenty to get replaced. You could try replacing it yourself but I'd get a manual and read up well before taking parts apart in there. Good fortune to you getting this problem resolved. Please report back with what you do to get it fixed!

• mrsiowegnmrsiowegn Member Posts: 1
    I find it odd, of all the cars I've owned, Ford, Mercury, Chevy, Dodge, my Kia has had the least amount of problems. I had to replace the alternator myself, the manufacturer had to repaint it, and the 4WD had to be fixed, (under warranty for the last two), but still on my other cars I spent waaayyy more money fixing transmissions, tires due to bad rods, front end problems, etc. My Kia has been my most reliable car. It has 105,000+ miles, and I've only spent a couple hundred dollars. Mostly in maintenance for things that need replacing after the mileage this car has had. I do have an engine light on, it goes on and off. My husband is not concerned about it. It goes off for a week or so after I clean my engine. Otherwise it runs absolutely fine. Though, be sure to change your spark plugs every 2 1/2 years or so, (according to the manufacturer). We were having problems with it sputtering when taking off, and no power. My husband was shocked when he replaced the plugs, they were worn almost to nothing. He said usually you only need to change them at around 100,000. I love my Kia! I'm getting a new one next year!
    what model Kia do you have? I agree, as my nickname describes, Kia's are great cars with a great Warranty. They are also very practically-priced, as you know.

Although in March of '07 I traded my '01 Sportage 4X4 in on a '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, I am not opposed to looking in to another new Kia when the Lancer GTS starts deteriorating. That won't be for a long while, it is also built wonderfully.

But what it does when reading reports like yours is re-affirm my own good experience with Kia and it keeps me ever-interested in all Asian cars(even upstart Chinese-built vehicles). If the right Kia were to come along I might be persuaded.

Watch for the new Soul and C'eed Kia models to come out in the coming months. The new Kia coupe will debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September. It looks awesome!

• thunderchickenthunderchicken Member Posts: 2
    on the crankshaft with the pulley removed, the notch should be approx 60 degrees to the left of TDC. The left cam should have the "I" aligned with the mark and the right cam should have the "E" aligned with the mark. After you get these done and the belt on start you engine if it cranks but wont start before you take the belt of hand crank the engine until the cams are lined up again. Remove the belt and turn the crank by hand one full revolution because it was 180 degrees off. I just got done doing this same thing. Also check your local library I found a book on how to replace your timing belts by chiltons at mine it has the setting illustrated.
  • thunderchickenthunderchicken Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the steps are for changing the spark plugs on a 1998-2002 Sportage 4 cylinder DOHC? or have a link to where I dan find the process (DON'T say www.kia.com)? I spent hours looking through tech pages on Kia's website and found nothing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your library may subscribe to Alldata or the Auto Repair Reference Center. I can access the latter at my library online from home. Check the Online Repair Manuals guide too (or maybe an owner who's done the change will post their own guide here, hint, hint).
  • lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    try
    this
  • tizzylizliztizzylizliz Member Posts: 1
    Hi! i have a 2005 kia sportage and just tonight i noticed a plinking/screeching noise when i am at low speeds. I got home and looked at other message boards and i did see the same problem, however these were all UK cars. Im wondering if anyone else has the same problem with their car. Its a loud screeching/whistling noise and as the gears go higher is isnt as loud, but almost vibrates a bit... anyone have any ideas? it might not be the drive train, just curious. I am still under warranty, but the UK people said their cars werent fixed under warranty. any opinions or anything would be GREAT! thanks!
  • hekkmanhekkman Member Posts: 2
    :sick: Hi everyone, I have a 2001 sportage that wants to engage 4x4 whilst travelling at 100km/h this creates some awfull noises does any one know how to fix the problem
    Do you still have the original vacuum operated hubs?
    Most probably the vacuum solenoid valve leaks..that is some vacuum passes through even if it id supposed to be shut hence some vacuum applies to hubs and they try to engage.....which probably means they are shot now....
    Disconnect the hose "vacuum to hubs" THis is located driver side fender.
    At least this should stop the grinding but 2WD only now.
    The you can try to clean solenoid from internal dust by applying compressed air and using 12v on and off - it helped mine for a while - but anyway the original vacuum hubs, though very convenient when they worked, are due for failure and should be replaced with Warn auto-mechanical or manual
  • hekkmanhekkman Member Posts: 2
    :) thanks for the response so quik, they are factory hubs replaced about 10000 ks ago along with new wheel bearings although the original vacuum soleniod was replaced with one like the air con system, though im a bit suspect about it..
    Here is a
    supplier
    the price is now almost double what it was 18 months ago....but viewed from Canada, since the appreciation of the C$ (from .65 to 1.02 now), it is not that much.
    And the instructions
    here
    If you elect to change your hubs for the automechanical, there are precautions in their use: they cannot be engaged "on the fly" as the vacuum were. Come back for details if needed.
  • chris106chris106 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 KIA Sportage. The problem I got is this:
    Last week I was driviing the KIA on and off all day. One time I got in and tryed to star it but nothing. When the key is turned all the dash lights come on the keyless entry works, but when turned to the start position there is nothing. The starter is not even trying to turnover.
    I was told by a friend that it might be a problem with the keyless entry not fully disingaging, another told me it may be a block fuse.
    Pleas help
    over one way(one direction)and then try and turn the engine over. If that doesn't work turn the wheel the other way and try turning it over. I don't know if this is a safety mechanism of some kind but one time this happened to me in my '99 Kia Sephia. One of the service personnel at my dealer came out and for one thing I didn't have the clutch pedal fully depressed, the other was this cranking the wheel fully one way, ttrying to crank it over...then turning the steering wheel the opposite way completely and trying to turn it over. Give it a try and see what happens.

chris wrote: "... all the dash lights come on ...but when turned to the start position there is nothing"
    Do you mean "there is nothing left", like all the lights turn off, which would be a battery connector problem, or simply, it does not crank ?
    I mean when you turn the key on all the lights come on, but nothing else happens.
    I never heard of this befor, but I will try anything. Thanks
    THis circuit is all what you have unless some other feature has been added, such as remote start or immobilizer. Clutch or park/neutral switch can be a culprit. You will have to track the 12V . I'd check 12v direct from battery to starter solenoid blue wire (use small wire) first to ensure starter works, and then track back....
  • dailydatadailydata Member Posts: 8
    I am so excited to find this site,I have a 2002 sportage I bought new and have had very little trouble with it until now, I have had it at the dealership for over a week and the mechanic cant get it to duplicate the problem,my problem is when going down the road 45-65 mph it tries to go into 4x4 or at least that is what it feels like and makes a awful noise like the sound when my grand kids put a card in the spoke of their bicycle,at the same time it gives the sensation of running over a piece of rubber or something on the road,this is actually the 4th time to the dealer,1st time they replaced the air lines to the wheels said they were leaking,at that time they said the bearings would need replaced sometime in the near future but ok for now,2nd time they totally replaced the wheel bearings,still the problem was there and is intermittent,3rd time they thought the bearigs were installed wrong and rechecked everything,and said it was mechanically sound but within 120 miles, the distance to my home from the dealer,it happened again! I pulled over and came to a complete stop started over and made it the rest of the way home,I towed it back 4th time,this time the mechanic said I needed to replace the Hubs so I did that and to my shock the same thing is still happening at one point I felt the car would throw me in the ditch,I finally had my son take it back "towed". He told them to stop trouble shooting and fix it right! but the poor mechanic has driven it for about 120 miles and it wont duplicate the problem they have had it for over a week, do you think this vacuum selenoid could be my whole problem and what is the best way to repair it and keep my 4x4 since I live in the mountains.
    Please help me figure this out.... dailydata
    I understand you still have (new) vacuum hubs installed. I'm surprised because these vacuum hubs are almost impossible to find.
    Second I want to be sure all of this happens when you run in 2WD, right ?
    My reply in post #85 just above is about same case, so look in that direction. Disconnect "vacuum to hubs" hose as indicated here and run the car hence no stray vacuum will try to apply in that condition, then report the findings.
    If all is fine then,it means the solenoid conducts the vacuum when it should not, which is a common problem and should have been checked first.
    ALso, the hubs might have suffered beyond repair.....but this you will know afterwards.....
    Disconnect that hose and tell us what happens.
    the dealer just installed new hubs less than 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure if they are vacuum hubs or not,I will ask on Monday,they still have my car but they cant get it to duplicate the problem while the mechanic is driving it,If the selenoid is the problem would it happen periodically like that? for a little while it happened 6 times in a row in about 15 miles (all on 1 trip) then not again for over 100 miles,it has only happened 3 times since they installed the new hubs so those are probably fine right?
    would it be better to replace the selenoid or change the new hubs to manuel hubs in order to keep my 4x4 working?
    how much would it be to replace the selenoid?
    dailydata
    DO the test as indicated first . WIth the line disconnected, you should have no problem. A leak can be somewhat random so it is possible it happens several times in a row then not for some period of time.
    Of course, while the line is disconnected, you have 2WD only but do it to clear the situation. The other types of hubs (that is, the automechanical) cannot behave in such a random fashion, so I think you do have the vacuum. IN fact, both types ( the vacuum and the mechanical) can be seen in this document
    I do think the solenoid is the problem, but my way of doing things is not guessing, but testing. It saves a lot of money.
    Down the line, you will have to opt for new hubs, that is, mechanical or manual, instead of vacuum type. Toobad, because the vacuum, when they work well, are the easiest to use on this little truck but by the experience of all, they are totally unreliable and sooner or later, switching to another type is unavoidable....but we'll see to that later.
    Im going to get my sprotage back from the dealer,I will disconnect the hose to the hubs,my question is can I just put the hose back on when I need to use my four wheel drive?
    dailydata
    Absolutely
  • kianielkianiel Member Posts: 2
    Hi bmorreale, I saw that you got an online manual that helped. I have a 1997 sportage and cannot find a free manual online. Is there a site were I can get it? I went to the kia owners site but they only have 2000-07.
  • kianielkianiel Member Posts: 2
    Hi, does anyone know of a site where I can download a 1997 Kia Sportage service manual? I am really in need of one to get my Kia properly fixed.