Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• itabotitabot Member Posts: 105
    chrysler in michigan ran the VIN and first off realized that the vin the dealer provided was wrong, then we got the right one into the system (off by one digit) and found that my particular vin was not part of the recall...even though my commander is having problems that are just what those vins that are included in the recall are having.

what's more, my commander stalled getting onto I-95 in rush hour last week and again this week getting onto the meritt parkway also during rush hour...terrifying.

but, still they will not admit that the problem was never the starter but this other cause; i have had two other technicians check out the car, and both said that there is nothing wrong with the car so it must be the software. and, mind you, these other technicians would have made money telling me it was anything else because anything else other than the proprietary software they could fix.

chrysler should be ashamed of itself.
  • jaynbayjaynbay Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 Commander 5.7 Limited that occassionally will not start. We took it in to the dealer and they could not replicate the issue....imagine that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and might know what the problem is? Please help. thanks
    i would bet it is the starter that needs to be replaced. i was charged $345 by the dealer i purchased it from less than a year before replacing the starter became necessary. it had the same problem of not starting sometimes. it wasn't until it refused to start (it used to be i would try to do so two or three times and on the fourth it would, but this time it wouldn't after several tries) and i had to get it towed (another $90 on top of the $345) that I had the starter replaced. that kept the starting problem from recurring but the car still has a lagging stall problem until I stopped going to the Jeep Chrysler dealers instead bringing it to independent repair shops in Connecticut and Mount Kisco, NY who made the right changes so that now the stall is less acute. and, your dealer, if it is a jeep dealer that you purchased this from knows about this problem...don't let them get away with not replacing it for you at this stage because it may just stop working all together after your warranty is up (or, as in my case, they simply will not honour the warranty)
  • bassman8bassman8 Member Posts: 14
    You don't provide enough details. No starting can mean the engine cranks but does not fire, or it can mean that it doesn't crank. The poster that responded assumed that it needs a starter, which may not be true if the starter cranks the engine but the engine doesn't catch. If it doesn't crank, it could be as simple as a starter relay, it could be the starter, it may even be the engine computer. If it cranks but starts and dies, it could be the key fob or the receiver in the steering column, also known as the SKIM module or smart key immobilizer, part of the anti theft system. There have been some known issues with connections on the underside of the PDC (power distribution center) that have either not been seated or the retention tabs on the terminals were broken. The most difficult thing about an intermittent issue, is getting it to reproduce. Detail as much as you can, write it down when it happens to you, so you can provide accurate information to the dealer to help him track down the problem. Good Luck.
    sorry about that, mine would not 'crank' not even one 'crank'.

and, you are also right that the solution that i was charged for, nobody is sure that it actually required a new starter.

all that said: fundamentally the Jeep Commander has electricical problems that on a driving level = problems starting The Commander, problems with The Commander stalling when merging onto a highway, problems with The Commander dashboard flickering more often than not, and, too, problems getting the Chrysler Jeep dealers to fix problems before the warranty is up.

short of long: before your warranty runs out and before The Commander totally refuses to start contact Chrysler, Michigan. you will have to go through Chrysler, India first, but once you do get to michigan they might encourage The Jeep Dealer to replace the parts they know the symptoms you are describing are an inidication of.
    Thanks for the info. When I say that it won't start, it does exactly as another individual described. All electrical components work - radio, lights, etc., but the vehicle will not even click when you turn the key. When it last happened, I unhooked the battery cables for a short period and once reconnected, the vehicle started and has been starting fine now for a few days.
  • caradiodoccaradiodoc Member Posts: 4
    Boy oh boy, I have never read so much misinformation and confusion. Bassman8 is the only person here who knows what he's talking about. While most customers are very nice to deal with, I shudder at the thought of trying to work with some people here.

First of all, an engine stalling problem should never be a "terrifying" situation. If you can't handle this common emergency, sell your car and walk or hire a taxi. Panicking on the highway is the safety issue. People run out of gas, get flat tires, and get cut off all the time, and they don't whine about the terrifying situation. Regardless of the cause of the problem, it is your responsibility to know how to control the vehicle in a safe manner. It's up to the people behind you to worry about themselves. Part of their driving experience includes watching out for you. Pilots learn how to land a plane safely with dead engines. A stalled engine in a car is a relatively harmless inconvenience.

A lot of people can't jump fast enough to find someone else to blame. Look at the type of car you bought. Manufacturers have gone WAY overboard incorporating unnecessary, unreliable, complicated computers for every aspect of modern cars, and you can't wait to buy them because of all the silly gimmicks. I shake my head in disbelief every time I replace a $700.00 heater computer that does what a simple lever and cable used to do. If you don't know how cars are built today, put the blame for high repair bills squarely where it belongs; on the shoulders of the person who bought it, not who built it.

Next, how on earth can anyone develop the faulty logic that a starter motor can cause a stalling problem? This proves you are not knowledgeable about cars and have no business complaining about the repair shops. They ARE educated about your complicated car, but you're going to second guess them? The starter only spins the engine to start it running. After that, you can remove it, stomp on it, drive over it, scream at it, and throw it at someone; it will not cause your engine to stall. It's job is done and it just sits there after the engine is running. Now, some people have mentioned a different problem of intermittently failing to crank the engine. Again that has nothing to do with stalling once it's running. Intermittent failure to crank is caused by worn contacts in the starter solenoid. The contacts can be replaced separately but to insure reliability of the repair, almost everyone replaces the entire starter motor. This is an EXTREMELY common problem, but no respectable mechanic would ever replace it without witnessing the problem, especially if they recognize that they can't rely on your confusing descriptions of the problem. Very few owners can provide all the details and clues that a mechanic will pick up, but at least they understand the mechanic is trying to get as much information as possible so they can find the cause in as little time as possible. You seem to think the mechanic is the enemy, so you can expect to be treated as such. Try treating them as your partner in solving this problem, not your adversary. I once had a customer come back nine times before I finally found the problem. I was more frustrated at letting him down than he was at having to keep coming back. Thank goodness he understood how complicated his car was.

As for recall issues, these are generally reserved for safety or emissions problems. When the cause of a problem is identified, it is pretty easy to figure out which vehicles are affected according to the date of manufacture. If your vehicle isn't on the list, it means the problem was corrected by the time your car was built. Some people seem to think their problem is so special, the manufacturer should cover it under some special warranty program. If that were true, GM would be busy fixing all their expensive, common problems.

Other known problems that might be hard to diagnose will generate a service bulletin to save time for other mechanics, but you won't find a bulletin for easy-to-diagnose things like starter solenoids.

Finally, every customer has to learn how to present helpful information to their mechanic. I answer questions on another web site, and the lack of information is amazing. "Does not start", "won't run right", "my heater doesn't work; what's wrong?" If this is an example of what you would tell your mechanic in a face-to-face meeting, don't be surprised if you get a "could not duplicate the problem". If all I tell my doctor is "I'm in pain", would you expect him to treat me for a hang nail, a stomach ache, or I cut my foot off with a chain saw? He's going to ask a lot of questions, perform a few simple preliminary tests, and make some observations, but he won't do any of those over the phone or internet. There are exceptions, but most people are better at describing their pets' ailments than what their car is doing.

And what kind of derogatory names would you call a doctor who doesn't cure you on the first visit? Can anyone explain to me why mechanics are held to much higher standards than doctors? Doctors bury their mistakes. Mechanics are all called crooks when a few don't find the cause of a problem right away. A big part of diagnosing a problem is listening to the owner. If you provide limited or confusing information, as you have here, you can't possibly expect an efficient, economical repair.

Itabot seems to have the most unrealistic expectations I've read in a long time. What in the world does the brand of tire or brake pad have to do with "keeping a Jeep a Jeep"? Tires, brakes, exhaust, spark plugs, fenders, . . . are all offered by a number of manufacturers and can be installed by thousands of different shops, a tiny few of which are Jeep dealers. Chrysler only makes 20 percent of their own parts. The other 80 percent come from independent suppliers who also supply the same parts to the Napas, Carquests, and Auto Zones.

It's common for a Ford / Jaguar dealer to fix a Jeep, . . . and the other way around. Who do you think does the safety inspections and repairs on trade-in vehicles. As for the comment about the mechanic who said he was only at the dealership for a year, that gives him one year more of factory training than the mechanics at the independent repair shops or other new car dealers. Tough problems will be handled by experienced mechanics, and many of them may have gotten their experience working somewhere else before they came to that dealership.

One final note, even though it doesn't really apply here. I answer questions from a lot of do-it-yourselfers who don't have a clue how complicated newer cars are. The days of the backyard mechanic are long gone, and all manufacturers have designed their products to only be serviceable by the dealer. When people don't understand how the systems work, they end up troubleshooting the wrong thing, or they blindly replace a bunch of parts hoping one w
    i think that with your reply you just did Jeep more harm than good because nobody at chrysler jeep would say that a recurring stall is normal they are however ignoring the magnitude of the problem. at least while trying to find and share solutions to this probloem i am still holding jeep to it's historically high standards. if you think that it is normal for a jeep to have recurring stall problem then you have never had the pleasure of driving a real jeep.

and, i can assure you that as for driving skills, i drive automatic and standard, in this country and country's that require we drive on 'the wrong side of the road', off road and on the highway as well as suburban streets and even, though not in the past year, across frozen lakes in siberia...with brand new cars and old clunkers and never have i experienced the recurring stall issues that i do with this commander. it is not safe and it is not normal.

please do not apply your lower standards to jeep discussions, that isn't the point of the thread.
  • bassman8bassman8 Member Posts: 14
    Well said man! I get sick of seeing posts on this site with little or no relevant information. I have tried for years to get people to respect the techs that work on their cars. The general public has no concept of how much you need to know about mechanics, electronics and hydraulics to be able to service today's cars.
    It will only get more complex. I worked in the Safety Office at Chrysler and personally investigated the Commander stalling issue for over a year. Prior to working at Chrysler I spent 15 years in dealerships working as a line tech.
    i do not know where you got the impression that the techs were considered responsible for the stall; at this point, it is Jeep Chrysler corporate's reluctance to assume culpability and replace all necessary parts in all vehicles experiencing the problem. the tech's are not allowed to fix the problem totally, i.e., they are only allowed to 'bandaid' it. corporate has also lost - over the last year - whatever weight of influence it had over it's dealerships...who, at least in my case, are emphatic about their independence from Chrysler Jeep (the government bailout of Chrysler went all wrong when it came to Jeep from a customer's standpoint).

that said, why don't you share with us what you found to be the problem during your year working on the commander stall, and let us know: if you were allowed to repair the problem the way you wanted to, how would you do it, what parts, what manufacturers of parts, etc.

I think that would be awesome information for us all to have, and I really hope your share it with us because when it comes to stalls at these speeds you are savign people's lives/quality of lives, etc.
  • taken4aridetaken4aride Member Posts: 10
    2006 Commander. 22K original miles. My 2006 Commander has refused at times to start off and on for the last two years. When I turn the key all the dashboard lights come on and the clock goes off. The truck doesn't even try to turn over. No noise from the engine. Nothing. I mentioned this once at the dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong and as the car was starting OK at that time I didn't pursue it. However over the last year (2009) the Commander has left me stranded a number of times....but when it refuses to start if the Commander was left alone for several hours (no touching, trying to start it, etc.) the truck would start up fine. This brings us to 1/9/10 and the truck would not start even after hours of sitting. I had it towed to my driveway and there it sits. My next stop is a mechanic and probably a new starter. The "perform service" light came on but as I had the car into the dealer for general maintenance in August 2009 my maintenance schedule should be up to date.(I'll check that). I am totally depressed. It is issue after issue with this particular truck.
    just accept that it is a finicky jeep, and, more, when you can and before you need to, bring it to non dealer service centers for complete inspection and essentially an internal rebuilding.

and, think about it this way, it is a beautifully styled suv, i.e., very contemporary and bauhaus.
  • taken4aridetaken4aride Member Posts: 10
    I wish I could just accept it as a finiky Jeep but it is the only transportation that I have and often I have my grandchildren with me. It is now sitting in my driveway undriveable and leaking fluids big time. My biggest concern with getting it fixed is of course money but I also want it done right. I really don't trust the dealership. I think I will take your advice and take it to a non-dealership service department.
    unfortunately, now i have more to share with you: just did my 3k oil change at a non-dealer that locally in lower fairfield county connecticut is the go to place for just about the last 30 years for high price cars and jeeps out of warranty, and, to my car they assigned their jeep expert, he goes on those jeep jamborees, etc., i.e., he loves jeeps more than i do (used to). so, does oil change and shows me that i have two lines leaking on right side of radiator, and that they will charge me $550-600 to replace. However, he also said that at 40k miles - another man there worked for jeep service for 20 years and for cadillac service for 10 - said that at 40k corporate will cover the repair, just call corporate first.

i told them i doubted that given past experience. they said that these lines should never need replacing they are not something that requires owner maintenance and that their experience with jeep is that under those conditions jeep will cover and be terribly sorry for the inconvenience that faulty parts caused me.

so, i call corporate but get the same run around i got the last time,i.e., has to go to a dealer to be diagnosed at $100 charge and if the dealer thinks that it should be covered corporate will do so; so, before i am willing to go for that (hook) line (and sinker) ,i call the dealer directly - not the one i purchased this commander from but the one my family purchased all the kids sweet 16 first car jeeps from - and, they explained that it is up to corporate and that they will only be able to do what corporate tells them to. so i said to them well, i don't want to bring the car in without an idea of what my bill will be, so what will you be charging me to do what the independent station said needs to be done, that is all i want done. that way, i told them, if corporate still won't cover, i won't be shocked by the bill. i want these exact parts replaced...and, they tell me that they won't replace them without also doing the complete diagnosis!!!

in the meantime, i called corporate to tell them what was going on, and the first person assigned to my car was totally intolerable, i.e., i'm explaining the situation to her and she was barely capable of giving me helpful information; she seemed to be more concerned with empty courtesy words,etc. so i didn't even call her back. i just gave up and decided i am better off not wasting time, (time=money) and just doing the $600 repair with an honorable independent staffed by actual jeep experts and enthusiasts.

then i get a call again from chrysler corporate and while it is from another person other than the dimmer bulb i started out with this new one assigned to my account, she left me a voicemail that clearly indicated jeep corporate still does not have my correct VIN, the name of the dealer that i purchased from, never mind a genuine solution to my problem.
    regarding the transmission leak on top of the starter problem - and remember this is purchased from a jeep dealer only one year ago in october - just as with the starter that needed to be replaced after just 8 months after purchase, jeep corporate won't cover the repair and jeep corporate won't put their refusal to cover the repair in writing. the customer service representative, Sherri, when i asked if they would send me that refusal in writing first put me on hold and then asked me why i wanted it in writing (my reply, 'for my records') she put me on hold again and when she returned said that she was not capable of putting it into writing and was not capable of forwarding my request to someone who could.

i am going to try one more time with chrysler corporate,trying to go through their investor relations department, and, if that fails, i will be going to the US Government agency over-seeing. needless to say, jeep needs to take a lesson from toyota; it isn't un heard of that cars can have problems, it's how the manufacturer handles themselves during these crises that sticks.
  • dougfr3shdougfr3sh Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jeep tech. Do you have any more information on this problem because this sounds like exactly whats wround with mine. Mine does make a clicking noise when trying to start though. I know its not the battery and I have been reading up on this alot. Doesnt seem like the starter but maybe it is. I'm leaning toward the IPM problem but im not a mechanic and I didnt get alot from that post.
  • fomerjeepfanfomerjeepfan Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, I cannot provide a reply or any additional assistance, but I have what sounds like the exact same problem. I have a 2006 Commander. In the summer of 2007, it started having the same starter issue...all the normal battery type functions work properly, but the engine won't turn over at all and it makes a clicking noise when attempting to start. I seem to have narrowed my issue even further...it does this during the summer months. It appears as if the internal temperature of the car reaches a certain level, the non-starting clicking issue appears. Once the car cools, it will start without any issue. Any time i have attempted to take the Jeep in to have the issue reviewed, it can't be replicated (of course).

Like you, I'm not sure it's the starter, but it sounds like it would be. Of course, I don't necessarily want to replace the starter seeing as it works just fine 8 months out of the year. I'm only anxious during the summer months and it has repeatedly performed like this over the course of the past 3 years. It's maddening. If anyone can provide us with some additional information about the issue so we have a shot at correcting the problem, it would be much appreciated.
    i'm anxious driving this commander all of the time. i have noticed that after starter replaced, though i don't have problems starting it any longer, the stall problem while driving grows worse. the stall is subtle, i.e., it's not a complete stall it's just an akward hesitation that happens when i am in slow going and start and stop traffic.that said, the long drives up to ski in vermont and upstate new york and sail in maine are not happening because the chances of this car breaking down are so high.
  • promise22promise22 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my car used a year ago. It has been nothing but trouble since! I have replaced the starter once. Had to have it towed home today. The problem, it wont start. Turn the key,lights come on radio works, etc...motor wont crank. All you hear is "click,Click,click". Weve had trouble with suspension and everything as well. Also the gas light seems to come on too fast! Put gas in drive around town and your on "e" in no time...gas leak maybe? Service lights for everything come on all the time! This suv is CRAP!!! Wish I had never gotten it! I wish they would recall the starter and it would cost nothing to replace. Chrysler/Jeep should be ashamed of themselves! They received a bail out...where the hell is our help!?
  • 2007jeepowner2007jeepowner Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here. 2007 Jeep Commander will not start about every three months, regardless of snow, rain, or sun. Sits over night at the dealer ship after being towed and starts right up. No dealers can find a problem, ever. We have found however that under the hood in the fuse box, the starter fuse or relay when messed with will sometimes help get it to start. Look at the diagram of the fuses on the lid and you will see where the starter fuse or relay is. Broke down again last night and this time I tried everything and it would not start. We waited two hours and were going to get a hotel for the night, as that cost as much as the tow, I tried the jeep and it hesitated then started up. The only sound the jeep makes when trying to start is the slight clicking noise coming from the fuse under the hood labeled starter. Its a big black box fuse in the long skinny fuse box toward the cabin of the jeep. We're about to trade in the jeep today unless we can find a fix.
    The problem is the starter. Demand that the dealership replace it. After multiple failed trips to the dealer to get our issue resolved, our warranty ran out. Finally, after reading several posts that seemed to point to the starter as the culprit, we went back to the dealership and had the starter replaced. Since we had been in for this issue prior to our warranty expiring, we contacted Chrysler and they reinbursed us for the repair bill. We have not had any more starting issues since having the starter replaced.
    apparently, mine is going to need a new starter again. it is acting just the same way it did before the last starter was replaced by the dealer i purchased it from almost a year ago. chrysler would not reimburse me for the cost of that starter, and I certainly have no intention of letting that dealer get paid to work on that jeep again.

i just also had frozen caliper replaced.

the cost of rehabilitating this commander since i purchased from dealer is approaching $6k. The next new starter that i will need before end of summer = another nearly $400 and the lights on dash have never stopped flickering so what that will be...that said, at this point i have invested so many new parts in it, it should last quite a while.

the only sticking point is the dealership i purchased from. they should be reprimanded/fined by chrysler. how much control does chrysler have over quality of its dealerships?
  • discouraged1discouraged1 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased this jeep used whilestill j deer the manufactuer warranty. The first time it didn't start was in May, on mother's day after sitting in a parking lot for a couple hours. No warning, no lights, nothing. Just wouldn't turn over. They replaced the starter. It happened again, they replaced the computer module. The check engine light would come on and then disappear, since they found nothing wrong with it they told me it was probably bad gas. We purchases the extended warranty. The entire reason we bought this car was to tow our boat for a trip we recently took and started and ended in near disaster. Three weeks ago the car didn't start again, no warning, no reason. Towed it to Jeep and it started. They replaced the starter and then it wouldn't start foe them, they replaces the fuel pump again. Since we were leaving on vacation we paid to change all fluids and spark plugs just to p,ay it safe. We nervous put were assured the car was imperfect working condition. We made it to vacation, however almost did not make it home. While the jeep was running, going 65 mph on the Ny thruway in the middle lane, towing our boat with our two children in the back seat ... It died. No power, no brakes, very little steering. We had traffic on either side barreling down on us ... 18 wheelers included. It started for a brief moment and my husband was able to coast to a reststop. It's now at a jeep dealer and they want to replace the fuel
    Ump a third time in a year and a half. Something is very, very wrong here. What does it take to get jeep to recall????
    i had similar start problem about a year ago, it was replaced and though the car continues to have start problems, it starts. the dealership it was purchased from (norwalk/westport, ct) and replaced it will not take responsibility for it.

last week on I-95 similar stall to yours happened, albeit i'm fortunate that i didn't have small kids in back of car because obviously that would have been much worse. what jeep did was - driving at about 65mph steadily for about 10 minutes and then all of a sudden it was like i had pulled up the emergency brake up (I hadn't) and the car dropped speed (this all happened over about 3-5 seconds) and then all dash board lights lit up like they do when you immediately start the car but then within 2 seconds the lights went off and the acceleration increased on its own...back to speed i had been driving it at/relative to how much i was pressing on gas pedal. i'm lucky there was no traffic around me at that moment.

if jeep were more responsible and if the government cared enough about this situation to do a recall i would of course, in the interest of public safety, bring car in to be looked at because if this happens again a major accident could be the result; but, as it stands - just look at this thread to see the efforts already spent to get jeep to take care of this - nobody in authority effectively believes that these are real or dangerous problems to have out there on the roads...so i'm not going to go all out to diagnose and fix on my dime. i am though when it becomes necessary replacing everything under the hood of my commander
  • amissneramissner Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010
    Hey. I see a lot of good troubleshooting in this thread, but mostly about tsb 18-049-07, which seem to apply only to 2006 Commanders.

I have a 2007 Commander w/Hemi. It stalls when stopped at lights or stopped in parking lights every time we drive it more than 15 miltes. Turn it off and start it back up and it will stall a little while later, sometimes 2-3 times on a single stop light cycle. Have had it into the dealer 3 times so far. They replaced the MAP sensor and poked around on it a bit, but it is definitely worse than before we brought it in the first time.

Today it stalled while approaching a light, rolling at about 15 MPH. I stuck it in neutral and started it back up while rolling, but that was a first. Check engine light stayed on for the rest of the 75 mile drive.

Any advice I can give the dealer? Is there any point to tsb 18-049-07 with the 07 w/Hemi? Thanks!
  • mabnatbmabnatb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jeep Commander 3.7L that my husband and I purchased in Feb 2010. No problems, everything was fine until Aug 2010. One day, mid-Aug, I went to start my Jeep & got absolutely nothing. Very upset since there was NO warning that anything was wrong & I had just drove it; it wasn't even turned off for 5 mins! I was able to unhook the battery and let it sit for a while then hook the battery back up & it started just fine. This worked for about a week. Now it has been sitting in my in-laws front yard for almost a month with no signs of life. We replaced the starter, still nothing. Tried jumping it, it started once. Drove it around the block then shut it off. After it sat for an hour, we had nothing but "click, click, click" from the starter. We have also had the battery tested, it's good. Checked every fuse & relay in the vehicle, nothing. Check engine light blinks 10 times(open circuit), still haven't found the open circuit. Hooked it up to a computer at a dealership, which read nothing. Out of ideas at this point, frustrated and without a vehicle... Any ideas/suggestions?? :mad:
  • mkorponmkorpon Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    I have a 2008 Jeep Commander (30,000 miles) that has had an ongoing problem. After driving somewhere and you park, then return after doing whatever, it won't start. Battery is good, turn key and dash lights up but no click, nothing... I've had it towed to the dealer 4 times now for repair.

1st time- loose wire
    2nd time-bad connector
    3rd time- starter replaced
    4th time- another bad connection

Anyone else having issues like this? As of now my wife won't drive it anymore due to fear of being stranded with our 2 year old (can't really blame her since it has happened 4 times within the last year). She has been on the phone multiple times with Chrysler with no solution in sight, "It's fixed." they say, I say "Sure it is, see you next month when it breaks down again..." :lemon:
  • ron189ron189 Member Posts: 6
    I just got a used 07 Commander 3.7L last month. I love it for the most part, BUT check eng light came on 2 days after day of purchase and turned out to be the ESM, although never in 2 weeks had any symptoms before dealer replaced (at only wholesale cost for part). Now about stalling, has the company never come up with any remedies or recalls? A few days ago, I was driving it at low speed (accelerating after a turn) and accidentally bumped my knee on the ignition key. It sort of cut off but cranked it before it ever stopped. Anyone else done that, or could there be some sort of problem in the ignition switch itself that might be causing these stalling problems for so many people?
  • jpfizzlejpfizzle Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Jeep commander, electrical probs-the dash lights- on off at random, wont start, click sounds, blowers shut off, transmission gets stuck in3rd gear. it has been back for transmission recall. Same probs. Called Crown dealership in Dublin Ohio, talked to garage, told him the probs, first thing that came out of his mouth was " Ignition switch", I didnt even have to ask what was wrong, he knew.
    I called Jeep today, the company, started a claim because I refuse to pay for something Jeep knows about.Its stuck in 3rd again, and it wouldnt start again this weekend, then it decided to get stuck in 3rd gear today. Complete BS, Jeep said they would process the claim , send it to a manager for approval and research?
    Really, they need to RESEARCH problems with the JEEP COMMANDER?
  • jpfizzlejpfizzle Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Jeep commander, electrical probs-the dash lights- on off at random, wont start, click sounds, blowers shut off, transmission gets stuck in3rd gear. it has been back for transmission recall. Same probs. Called Crown dealership in Dublin Ohio, talked to garage, told him the probs, first thing that came out of his mouth was " Ignition switch", I didnt even have to ask what was wrong, he knew.
    I called Jeep today, the company, started a claim because I refuse to pay for something Jeep knows about.Its stuck in 3rd again, and it wouldnt start again this weekend, then it decided to get stuck in 3rd gear today. Complete BS, Jeep said they would process the claim , send it to a manager for approval and research?
    Really, they need to RESEARCH problems with the JEEP COMMANDER?
  • lowenivylowenivy Member Posts: 14
    Hi, mine was an '08 V6 Commander. It had the same problem as yours. It is not the starter, not the battery and not the computer. My brother-in-law who works for Daimler-Chrysler says the "Jeep thing" are very complicated. It is from the very start of the manufacture that the design was a flop. No long term testing and brought up to the market in a haze. The overall mechanics of the electrical system and the computer were not really co-related in some aspects, in a sense that it falters at a any moment in time, and that fault lies in sudden malfunction. You can replace all electrical parts including the computer, starter, alternator, relays, starter switch and what have you, sooner or later the problem of stalling will occur, whether in hot or cold temperature.
    Do you know why they stopped manufacturing these supposed to be anice SUVs? The integrated electrical design was a flop. It came out in 2006 up to 2008, 2009 or 2010 was a carry over just to get rid of the previous stocks. Do you still trust your dealer's mecahanic of their guessing game? Not even Jeep, Daimler-Chrysler can resolve the occuring problems of these "Jeep thing"or if they do, they would not seized producing these nice SUVs. I used to loved my '08 V6, but when all the problems evolved, No other options but to get rid of it. My tow truck driver adviced me not to have second thought to trade it in and so I did. The driver says he towed a countless of times of similar vehicles, at least 5 Commanders per month. Well, good luck to those who still have it!!
  • jggrjggr Member Posts: 1
    Our 2006 Commander with the 4.7 just decided not to start...96 000 on it, and this is the third time this year it "threatened" not to start, but this is the first time it has actually refused. All the dash lights come on, the battery is at 12.45 v, drops to 11.7v when the ignition is switched on. Headlights good etc I do not believe it is the battery or the starter, but... any ideas? Seems to be a common problem!
    Thank you,
    jggr
    I posted a theory a few weeks ago that all these problems may have to do with the ignition switch. I have only owned my 07 for 2 months now. But shortly after I bought it my knee hit the keys in the switch and it died on me. But I cranked it back up before it rolled to a stop. I think the last two posts are also "headed in that direction too". Not sure of course that this is your problem, but you may want to explore that.
    that was exactly what happened to my Commander & when faced with that repair the dealer said it needed a new starter. Got that starter & then, because of the 'threats to not start again', started again, brought the commander to a service place in Wilton, Ct where they actually have a genuine Jeep - not just expert- but enthusiast on staff. He didn't need to again replace the starter but has done several replacements on the Commander so that it doesn't threaten to not start any more. It seems as though the parts on The Commander 2006 installed on the 2006's in 2006 deteriorate quickly...they aren't what we think of as Jeep quality. But the replacement parts made now hold up better.

If you're keeping the commander I would try to find out your area mechanics that actually are experts and enthusiasts...it's the only mechanic that is going to be able to steady the car's reliability. Good Luck!
    What did the mechanic/enthusiast do instead of working on the starter?
  • lowenivylowenivy Member Posts: 14
    You are right there, battery nor the starter are not the problem. I owned an '08 V6 which had a stalling problems too.I replaced the starter and the battery with brand new ones, new key pod and computer, but the poblem of stalling at any time still exist. It happened for 18th time in two years, and had spent a lot of dough curing my Commander's relentless illness, I call it cancer. I used my Advantage warranty for their towing services and it's good having that. Then I had known that the stalling problem was the result of incompatible electrical and computer design which was installed during the manufacturing process and there was no long term test at all for the vehicle and was placed in the market in a haze. So the result and the ultimate decision of the corporate "Daimler-Chrysler Motors, LLC" is to stop the Commander's production in 2009, 2010 is a carry over of the dealers to ged rid of the remaining stocks. (Sources came from the corporate insider). Come to think of it, why would they stop its production when in fact it was selling in 2006 and 2007?
    Maybe some owners does not have the same problem or is it? We all love our Commanders, but is it a reliable SUVs? We can keep it and why not, but we have to brace ourselves when the rough gets going! Good luck.
  • galangalan Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2006 Jeep Commander that I have only recently had problems with. The dash lights have recently flashed on and off. Also, for at least 2 days it wouldn't start intermittantly and as of this morning, it won't start at all. I have cleaned the battery leads and noticed that a cable running from the battery with 2 female connectors is missing a part in the middle and is apparently broken. What is that for? What does it do? I have purchased an online Chilton's manual but cannot find an exact match as to what that part is. I wanted to avoid the dealer. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!
    I would call 203.761.9541, that is BP in Wilton, CT. They solved all of my Jeep Commander Problems. I'm guessing you aren't located near there but if you tell them you read about them on Edmunds, that they solved another customers' jeep commander problems, etc., they might talk you through it (it sounds like you know what you are talking about).

Good Luck!

p.s. avoid the dealers at this point because 1. they are only towing the party line in a tough economy, a.k.a., customer service isn't a priority, and 2. non-dealer service shops seem to take greater pride in solving problems.
  • meanmollymeanmolly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and have had issues with it not starting on occasions. I have looked up the problem online and determined it to be the parking sensor. Basically, it just doesn't know its in park. So you can fix the part, which isn't much - diff models, diff prices, but you can also do some others things which is what I do.

Try these diff things to see which works best for you. This will also help identify if this is your issue or not.

1. Rock your car while in park or in neutral. When it is in park you will hear it click, which is the sensor.

2. Roll car backwards or forwards and straighten the steering wheel.

3. Put in neutral and turn key to start. May also put in neutral then back to park a couple of times letting the car move a little helps.

Lastly to help your car NOT do this, watch how you park. Make sure the wheels are straight or car rolls a little after putting in park and removing foot from the brake.

For me this will happen when it has been raining a lot or when cold, but always starts after I rock it or put it in neutral and turn the wheel a little. Ihave never had to be towed.
  • palmer02025palmer02025 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I have a 2007 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI

I have not experienced any stalling issues or failure to start, but have experienced the delayed acceleration where the vehicle doesn't respond to pressing the accelerator, then suddenly lurches ahead.

Today, however, I experienced the weirdest thing ever -- I clicked 'lock' on the key fob and it did lock but all STARTED without any key ignition. I unlocked it, put the key in, and turned it off.

This is very weird and very unnerving -- has anyone experienced this??
  • ericlidericlid Member Posts: 1
    We rent Jeep Commanders in our experience this problem has been due to a JB block under the steering column which contains 6 relays. The entire block has to be replaced. For details:

http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/2qfq2-jeep-commander-2008-won-t-start-keys-good-b- attery-good.html

This has been the problem for us once on a 2007 and now on a 2008

Good luck!
  • cjrncjrn Member Posts: 2
    I love my commander but it died on me yesterday...I too thought it was the starter since I had full battery power and it just wouldn't start. It has threatened not to start 2 times before, all within the last week. I am planning on a road trip in June and now am worried that it wont be the starter after all. Note: after leaving it sit in a parking lot for 5hours it started back up. windows/locks worked during this episode in aux....not sure what to do from here.....
  • cjrncjrn Member Posts: 2
    mine just started but as I see....its a common problem. I own a 2007 V6 and I have owned the vehicle for less than a year and its done it three times in two days. I have not had any problems with it for the past year (except the windshield seems to break alot (twice in 7 months). I dont know what to do about the situation.....
  • ingridluvingridluv Member Posts: 3
    I have had problems with my 2006 Commander since October 2009. My Jeep stalled on me while coming home from Norther Calif. I had the jeep towed to the nearest dealership..$200 later, I was told the throttle body needed cleaning...In October 2010, I had the same problem again...I had the throttle body cleaned again...my check engine light continued to come on and the RPM continued to fluctuate and my Jeep continued to stall. In April 2011, I had both exhaust manifolds repaired, rear diff oil changed AND throttle body cleaned...$1100 later, I was driving on the street, my Jeep stalled AGAIN..I took it back to the dealership and was told a piece of cloth somehow got into to the area of the air filter...Jeep was great for approx two weeks. Yesterday, I was driving my wonderful Jeep on the freeway 70 MPH and it stalled on me in traffic...check engine light once again....wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took it back to the dealership they called corporate down and I was told it was my IACE valve and a sensor issue...
    Well after being at the dealership several times in April, each time the diagnostic testing showed nothing was wrong with my Jeep...I was told, they will try and give me a discount on services performed yesterday...hahaha
    Lets just say, I will never trust my Jeep on a road trip let alone the freeway...I am trading it in as soon as I get it from the service dept tomorrow...
    I have had this Jeep since October 2005 and I will never drive a Jeep again.. :mad: :sick:
    I'm in same situation where I can't trust Jeep on long trips which is really what I got it for, i.e., I am now in NYC and purchased it for trips to Vermont/Maine and out to Long Island. As soon as i finish paying this off I'm going to go back to Jaguar, a.k.a., totally reliable.

Would love to know value Jeep gave you on the trade in. My independent service center that seems to have all problems under control since starting repairs over a year ago, they let me know that in the Jeep Commander I now had a classic on my hands, i.e., I won't be trading it in (I probably wouldn't get much for it and as for trading it back in to Jeep it's not like I will ever get a jeep again).
  • 1ibluebird1ibluebird Member Posts: 4
    Help! I have replaced my battery twice, been told that I bought "bad gas" and now my car is at the dealer - again. They claim it starts every time they try and that they are "unable to detect" any issues with regard to the car not starting or stalling. I have been told this several times -- and now I am concerned as I am a single parent of four children and I do not want to be stranded and/or stalled and hit.

My dash lights also spontaneously blink sometimes and the clock on the radio flashes even when the radio is not on. I have also told the dealer this because my hunch was that there is a short or some odd connection causing all of these problems. They basically laughed at me.

I read on this blog that someone had inside information that Daimler Chrysler is aware of this issue, and that the problem is due to a lack of "communication" b/t the hardware and software; thus halting the production of Commanders. Yikes. Please provide me with more information please!

Thank you.
  • mickeyd_28mickeyd_28 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2010 Commander with the 3.7 doing the same thing. Initially it was going dead at idle or stalling while driving. Yesterday it died in the middle of an intersection while driving. So, it seems this issue is ongoing and has been happenning since 06 from what I've read in this forum. However, our engine light does indeed come on. I reset it once (in accordance with the manual) and it did ok for a couple of weeks, but now it is worse (about 28000 miles on the vehicle). Anyone that can point me in the right direction I would be extremely greatful for. And, if anyone from Chrysler is reading this, my wife drive my three sons in this vehicle. I'd pray nothing happens to them if I were you.
  • 1ibluebird1ibluebird Member Posts: 4
    I just filed a complaint with ConsumerAffairs.com. There are many others that have been filed, as well. This is not good.
    it seems that consumer affairs doesn't do anything until there are numerous tragedies.

with all of these problems, this isn't the kind of car you put children into or anyone that isn't very quick with adjusting things to accommodate a stall. (and to think that most of us, I'm sure, purchased it for the increased safety that a good old reliable jeep offers no matter what the weather).

check the jeep on line forums for mechanics that work at independent repair shops in your area- that's how i found the one person who knew what to do to repair mine., and though it still almost stalls it doesn't go into a full stall.

one of many repairs/adjustments that that jeep expert did was to replace hoses that were clogged and deteriorating. you could see that they were worn thin to the point of fraying. that fraying slowed liquids from getting in and out.

i don't know exactly what stopped the stalling but this is another thing that i had done and was part of process of clearing up the problem.

just put aside at least $4k to rebuild it to point of safety (i shelved ideas of road trips in it because of it's earlier unreliability)
  • jcornblattjcornblatt Member Posts: 1
    I have had so many issues with my 2006 Jeep Commander it is ridiculous. The brakes were replaced before 12,000 miles. I have had the hood replaced for rusting. The bolts on the manifold broke off and now I have had trouble with the car not starting twice in the last week. The first time I took it to my mechanic he thought it was the battery needed charging. He did that and it ran for three days with no problem. Today I went to leave and it wouldn't start again. The mechanic feels it is the alternator. Which according to every website I go to the alternator should last the life of the car or close to it. My car has 70,000 miles on it and every time I turn around something else is wrong. These cars are obviously made very poorly. This is the second jeep I have bought. The first one has 106,000 miles on it and has never had the alternator replaced. What can we do as a group to get Jeep to stand up to the piece of crap that they have manufactured. Enough is enough. I called Chrysler about this issue this morning and of course I have to take it to the dealer before they will consider doing anything. But since it is out of warranty the chances are slim and nil. HELP!!!!!!!!!!