Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• nathanincnathaninc Member Posts: 12
    I had the engine problems with my 04 canyon too. I was 2k miles over the factory warranty. Luckily the dealer and GMC agreed to pay for the repairs. I got it back and it felt rough and had no pickup. I drove it to carmax and sold it that same day. I went and replaced it with a honda ridgeline RTS. Originally paid 22k for the truck. The ridgeline cost me 256000. the extra 4k got me power seats, 6 cd changer, 4wd, dual climate control, and most important of all reliability.
  • jtenpasjtenpas Member Posts: 7
    GM is covering all of the repairs and the cost of a loaner car even though my warranty was expired. I did not even have to put up a fight. They have not given me a timeline yet for the repair.
    Meanwhile i am debating if i should get rid of the truck as soon as it is repaired. It seems this issue is the case of replace the broken parts and not solve the problem from happening again.

KEEP IT or TRADE IT??? :confuse:
  • ramle717ramle717 Member Posts: 11
    Good for you! Anyway, as I've said before, I traded the Colorado and got the more dependable Silverado. I asked the dealer the same question. Their response, "no guarantee."
    I don't want to influence your decision. It's your choice.
    Good luck.
  • tm4tm4 Member Posts: 19
    I would say keep it for a few hundred miles and see if it acts up again. Most people that have had this problem fixed have either gone on without any more problems, or had all kinds of problems right off the bat. So before you make any costly trade-ins, drive it around for a few weeks. If t starts to fall apart, or if you notice problems with the powerband, then get rid of it. But if you don't see or feel any problems, you might as well drive it and enjoy it.
    So far I've put over 1,000 miles on my 06 Colorado since the fix, and I havent had any problems. In fact my truck feels and idles smoother than it did when it was new. So not everyone's truck is falling apart after the fix.
  • i5guy13i5guy13 Member Posts: 1
    i bought my 04 canyon in 2004 with 7 miles on it. about 3000 miles after having it i came across a problem where my truck idles very hard to the point where it sounds like it has cams and it displays "REDUCED POWER" on my lsd screen. when i try to give it gas it will not rev above 1,000 rpm's and its bad. ive brought it to the dealership several times and told them to problem and they told me a whole bunch of bs. They replaced the whole ignition system, rewired my headunit for some reason and stuff and everytime they said the problem has been fixed, it has never been fixed...my truck stalls out, runs like crap and is not a good truck anymore, i just want them to fix it im tired of them saying they fixed it when they never have. I now have 51,000 and ive contaced the lemon law services and i meet with them next week to see whether or not im getting a new truck or what?........please reply with any comments or details
    i would take it to a different dealer to investigate or talk to the manager and have them investigate all GM bulletins regarding this issue. the dealer i took it to is following the protocal of a GM bulletin. my truck is currently being repaired for a similar problem. mine was not as bad as yours. i only had a rough idle and check engine light. i took it in directly to the manager of the dealership and starting working on it at no cost to me even though my warranty was expired. my valve in my 5th cylinder was stuck open causing miss fires.
  • d_creedd_creed Member Posts: 3
    My 05 Canyon Has Just over 30k miles and did the same thing. I took it into my private mechanic and they found a misfire on the #4 Cyl. GM Had the truck for 2 weeks and did not find the misfire. I took it back and had the GM service notice from my mechanic stapled on the Steering wheel. They require all the valve springs replaced to correct the problem a 6.1 hour job and it requires a special tool that breaks when they try to fix your truck. Still haven't gotten my truck back after 3 weeks now.
  • pmurraypmurray Member Posts: 10
    I had the valve problem in my '05 Colorado (got it back this time last year). I had about 20k and they replaced the head, which took 3 weeks. I have put another 10k since and the truck has been mostly fine since but I am afraid it will break again and won't be covered. I tried to find out what the problem exactly is and how it was addressed. Like, were there some bad parts? was it a design problem? Whatever it was did they just put the same junk on or was the part/design corrected. The dealer treats you like an idiot and I could not find anyone to give me a straight answer. I bought a second one of these trucks for my father in law and worry if he will have a problem. This is my first american car. I have had Honda and Toyota, mostly Toyota trucks. My last 3 Toyota trucks I put 170K, 230K and 160K on each one and have never had any problems at all. I like the way the Colorado looks and it drives fine for me.
  • texvel22texvel22 Member Posts: 1
    Like others out there my engine has begun its decent. After figuring out what exactly has to be done to fix the misfire ($4400) later, GM is deciding wether or not they want to help. Problem began at 52,000 miles and not being covered by warranty has caused a serious altimatum of wether or not to stick this out. If GM does not pick up the tab then I am swearing off Chevy for the rest of my life. I feel that this is a defect and should be a recalled.

Any advice out there
  • febrilefebrile Member Posts: 9
    Learned today my '05 Colorado LS (Z85 4X4 I5 5-speed manual)head has to be replaced. Only 26,000 miles on it. There is no recall, but the dealer gave me a copy of the service bulletin regarding the problem. The new head is supposed to have "hardened" valve seats. Strange that the problem is with cylinder # 4. I saw someone else had a problem with the same one.
  • ramle717ramle717 Member Posts: 11
    My 05 Colorado had 82,000 miles on it and GM covered all the cost including car rental. I spoke to the dealer's general manager and also called GM's customer service. They offered to pay half of the cost first but I told them it was unacceptable. Try to get a hold of the Factory Rep in your area. He can do wonders for you.
    I don't have the Colorado anymore. I traded it in with an 07 Silverado LT. They took the Colorado at mid-price value even when it hasn't been worked on yet. I just signed the release the other day. I have who have friends at other GM dealerships and they were able to give me a pretty good number of Colorados that are in their service area with the same problem. I'm pretty sure GM knows how many there are but for you to know, that gives you a little bit of advantage when you talk or write them. (I also wrote a letter of complaint to GM)
    Well, good luck and hope you get everything squared away.
    Oh, GM is bearing the cost of repairs and providing replacement transportation for this. I have < 26,000 miles. But I am disgruntled with further problems with this truck after going through the arbitration process becuse of a vibration at road speeds. I lost that but got all 4 General Ameritech tires replaced with GoodYears. So far I have had the cruise control switch, the tail light switch and, now, the cylinder head and instrument panel/dome light switch. There is a lot of wind noise at road speeds that they didn't resolve with insulation behind the interior trim. I am really fearful that this truck is going to be a bad lemon. And it's yellow (very) to boot.
    I just got my truck back after the head was replaced. it took three weeks. GM covered the costs and a loaner. the dealer did not give me any details of the repair or suggestions on what i should do if it happens again. i am starting to get vibrations at idle and low speeds again. Not alll the time just some of the time. this is the same issues i had before my engine light went on the first time. I think i am going to trade it in...
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I'm rather curious if there's a common thread, more that just a Colorado or Canyon truck. In other words, do the symptoms start at a certain mileage, on a truck that has more "city" vs. "highway" miles, on a truck that has it's oil changed at 5000 mile intervals vs. 2000 miles, and other things like that. Anyone care to comment?

I have a 2005 Canyon 4x4, that currently is approaching 18,000 miles. I'd hate to think that I'm driving a "time bomb", that's going to crap out at any minute. This is especially important to me, as my Canyon is a winter vehicle. If I wanted to drive an unreliable car/truck during the winter, I'd go back to an 8-10 year old, $750 "hoopty", like I drove in the winters of years gone by...
    I had not noticed a misfire at idle, which they claim is a symptom of this problem, but I have had an intermittent vibration from day one. GM replaced all the tires (Generals were said to cause the vibration) within a couple of weeks of purchase. The misfire came to light because the engine light had come on for a day a couple of times. The code was stored in the computer.

The dealer told me there is no recall for the head problem, but there IS a service bulletin addressing the problem. Others here have indicated that GM is taking care of the problem regardless of warranty standing. That's good to know.

I took Chevrolet Motor Division to arbitration over the vibration, which persists today (26,000 miles), but which the NH arbitration board (3 members) said they could not feel when driving the truck. From the number of posts here, I would say the problem is wide-spread. I am generally not satisfied with my truck.
    "I'm rather curious if there's a common thread"
    That's an interesting question, I know mine was replaced early less than 12,000 miles on the truck and I baby it. I don't drive like a race car, and I change the oil every 3,000 miles.
    I do however haul a 3,000lbs trailer every once and awhile, but only a couple miles here and there.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    My 80 yr. old father purchased an '07 Canyon Friday afternoon. After reading
    several posts in this thread
    I am now concerned about his PU truck purchasing
    decision. I sure do hope that it is true that GM has
    switched over to a different head design for the '07
    model Canyon/Colorado; and that the valve spring and
    head issues reported here are now history.

I'm also in the market for a new PU truck and have
    driven the Canyon and Nissan Frontier both. My interest
    lies in a crew cab, short box 4X4. I'd like to purchase
    a domestic PU truck, but after reading about how many of
    you guys have experienced engine problems with your
    Colorado/Canyon PU trucks, I am starting to seriously
    second guess myself on a potential Canyon purchase. Even
    with a 100,000 mile power and drivetrain warranty, I
    simply do NOT want to go through a lot of inconvenience
    with reliability issues. Especially with a brand new truck.

Ron M.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Just remember most of the people here are here because they have had some problems or like you are looking for a new vehicle. This is a good place to find out what can go wrong with your purchase but again the problem vehicles on the road would be in my guess less than 5%. ALL VEHICLES have problems sometime before they die you are just hoping it's not while you own it. I have a 04 crew 4 X 4 and have not experienced any problems like have been displayed here. Only problem I have had with mine was oxigen sensor went south but all that did was put on the check engine light. It didn't drive or run any differently as far as I could tell. Don't let what you read here bother you, if that is what you want then go for it. If you plan on keeping it I would buy the extended warranty and that goes for any truck, american or foreign as just one repair can use up what you paid for the warranty. Some dealers are now charging $125 per hour or even more to work on your vehicle and they have got so high tech that your neighborhood garage can no longer work on them.
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    I don't know why ya let him make such a mistake....just to save a couple of $100 bucks!!??
    All the warranty in the world is useless after ya start having the head aches of having to keep going back to a dealer....unless ya just like to hang out there.
    I don't know why ya let him make such a mistake....just to save a couple of $100 bucks!!??
    All the warranty in the world is useless after ya start having the head aches of having to keep going back to a dealer....unless ya just like to hang out there.

And what makes you automatically assume that I let him make such a mistake? I had absolutely nothing to do with his purchasing decision. He calls me up one day and says, "Why don't you ride over here and see my new pickup truck?" I pull into his driveway and there sits a brand new Canyon. At any rate, I hope that it ends up treating him well.
    What makes you think the purchase was a mistake at all? The only problem my truck has had so far is the cylinder head, other than that it's been a great truck. With different cylinder heads in the 07 he may never have problems with the truck.
    Just an FYI, Car & Driver and Road and Track both had a lot of problems with their long term Toyota Tacomas. I have a co-worker with a Titan that has had to go back to the dealer 6 times for various problems. So Toyota and Nissan have just as many problems with thier trucks.
    Given what I've read about these trucks(Canyon/Colorado)I'm glad I did not buy one.
    What makes you think the purchase was a mistake at all? The only problem my truck has had so far is the cylinder head, other than that it's been a great truck. With different cylinder heads in the 07 he may never have problems with the truck.
    Just an FYI, Car & Driver and Road and Track both had a lot of problems with their long term Toyota Tacomas. I have a co-worker with a Titan that has had to go back to the dealer 6 times for various problems. So Toyota and Nissan have just as many problems with thier trucks.

Rocketman is who described my father's PU truck purchasing decision as a "mistake". A couple of co-workers of mine have had multiple issues with their Nissan Titan PU trucks. However, all of the Nissan Frontier owners that I know haven't had a single problem with their PU trucks; nor have the Toyota Tacoma owners. But that's not to say that I think Frontier and Tacoma owners' PU trucks are always going to be flawless. A person is indeed subject to have trouble with any make/model vehicle. It's just that speaking from a statistical standpoint, some are much more likely to give problems than others.

One thing I did notice today when giving my father's Canyon a good hard look, is that there are two nasty-looking seams/weld beads running vertically down the rear of the cab on each side. It looks horrible if you asked me. Very shoddy workmanship. I'd like to look at a few more to see if they were constructed in a similar manner.

Ron M.
    I got my truck back Thursday (today) after two days in the shop. They had to order a "cam shaft part." The truck seems to be a little quicker to accelerate at highway speeds but slower at low speeds. So far, in less than two years, I have had:
    1 General tire replaced
    4 General tires replaced
    1 Goodyear tire replaced
    Passenger seat replaced
    Cruise control switch replaced
    Taillight switch replaced
    Headlight switch replaced
    Head replaced.
  • nathanincnathaninc Member Posts: 12
    My old canyon had the same seam/weld beads running down the rear cab also. The front spoiler was cracked, the tailgate had to be slammed hard just to close properly due to a faulty latch. 15k mile the damn thing needed an alignment. The final straw was the head problem that everyone is having. I heard from someone that this hunk of junk is actually chinese engineering and from all the problems i had it probably is chinese crap.
    The strange thing is people STILL keep buy these trucks.
    All I can same is it must be because they into S&M....... :)
  • aficioaficio Member Posts: 1
    My Colorado Z85 had the same "check engine" light problem I had in to the dealer several times and was told it was a software update, bad gas cap and so on.
    Finally I brought it in and was told the top of the gas tank had a crack in it and needed replacement. $1000 later the problem went away......after expiration of warranty of course! :cry:
    Now if you had it in for work DURING warranty several times then even if it is out of warranty it should be covered as they never fixed the problem. I would ask to talk to the service manager, then the district manager and at the same time I would call the 800 number and also register a complaint as this should have been paid for.
  • winmagwinmag Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about buying a new Colorado and found this site and all of the complaints. I am assuming (and hoping) that the majority of this is the I5 engine of 2006 and prior. I am looking at a 4 cylinder because Chevrolet does not offer a larger engine with a manual transmission - why, I have no idea, but I am not happy with that arrangement.

Anyway, late in the comments, it is mentioned about the welds. I noticed this fact myself as I was looking at new trucks on the lot. I noticed very crappy welds down the bed primarily, but not universally. Some had bad welds and some didn't. These welds seem to be due to improper settings on the welding machines, as the welds sit high and prominent with sloppy endpoints. In my opinion, these welds should sit more flush to the bed surface indicating good penetration rather than the cold and sloppy look they have.

Can someone tell me why in the world a major automotive manufacturer would have such bad quality control that no one notices this? As I said, some were really bad and some looked okay - indicating to me that they are capable of producing a good weld, but fail to notice the many trucks rolling off the assembly line with bad welds.
    Why would you even consider buying one of these trucks if you can visibly see poor quality control problems? :confuse:
    GM probably does not offer a manual with the 2k7 I5 because the manuals are built so cheap that they won't take the new hp & torque numbers. :sick:
  • d_creedd_creed Member Posts: 3
    I just got my truck back yesterday. They had it for 5 weeks...not a gmc problem but a local dealership problem that multiple complaints have been surfacing since early 2007.

:) I love this truck and am torn on whether to sell it. :confuse:

I definitly recommend an extended warranty for anyone who gets into a 2005-2006 that has the particular defects and VIN's that match the TEC DOC ID#1915 419.

I recommend taking your canyon in and seeing if it is one of the potential problematic ones.

If it is on the list have them do a cylinder leak down test.

Supposedly the new heads fix the problem so it should be smooth sailing once the problem is taken care of.

GMC should definitly warn folks that own the vehicles with the potential defects prior to the warranty period ending.

It is obvious that they knew there was a problem since folks have been getting work done under warranty up to 80k miles.

Bad business practice by GM for not informing the general public. Has anyone considered filing a BBB complaint and using this TEC DOC as the blatent evidence of the defect cover-up?
    I forgot to mention that the truck came from the factory with front end alignment and torsion bar adjustment out of specs. It had a wind/road noise that is more obvious on the passenger side. They said they installed insulation under the interior trim, but I can't tell it's improved. My truck was swapped in from another dealer, and I didn't drive it before I signed the papers. I regret that fact.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It was supposed to be read other posts. In more extreme situations it was related to a bad engine block head that needs to be replaced.
  • winmagwinmag Member Posts: 3
    I guess I figured GMC was a smart enough company to attempt to actually remedy their problems, and eventually, they would get the bugs worked out and produce a reasonable product. Jury is still out on that one I guess.

That's an interesting take on why they don't offer a manual tranny for the I5. I would figure a manual transmission would be better able to stand up to higher horsepower and torque - as I assume why they don't make automatic semi-trucks or dumptrucks for the most part. My take on it was that automatic transmissions are so popular that they just dropped it as an option on the bigger engines. I would MUCH rather have a manual transmission if I was using a bigger engine to actually do something that required it - like pulling something heavy or trying to extract the vehicle from a mud hole. Too many things to break on an automatic transmission and they seem to be made for highway cruising primarily. (I have a manual on my old S-10 which has 252,000 miles and have done NOTHING to the transmission).
    The problem is that 99% of the people don't want manual trannys and the ones who do tend to buy cheap versions of the vehicle so they only build the manual with the 4 cyl engine. When I worked at the factory that built the Grand Am and the Olds/Buick versions we only built about 4 manual trannys a day out of 2 assembley lines running 60 cars each per hour. By the third year we dropped the manual tranny completely as it just wasn't cost effective. The reason you see manuals on mostly foreign vehicles is they are selling overseas too which more people want manuals.
    I hope no one is accepting GM's claim that the I-5 has the power of a 6-cylinder with the economy of a 4-cylinder. The 4.3L V6 in my '01 S-10 would run circles around my Colorado I-5. I drove a Cobalt while my truck was in the shop, and that even was faster from a stop AND at highway speeds. It's propaganda!
    They didn't say which 6 cyl. Second you are comparing apples to oranges as your S-10 is a 4.3 vs 3.5 and I believe the 4.3 has more HP plus I'm betting the S-10 is a few hundred lbs. lighter.
    The only reason GM went with the I5 was because the I6 would not fit in the frame that they bought from Isuzu. They had to lob one of the cylinders off to make it fit.
    So one has to wonder why did they not stick with the 4.3 since it is a proven power train? After all if you look at their 2k7 Full Size truck the 4.3 is still alive and well.
    GM just SCREWED UP just plain and simple!! :sick: :cry:
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    The 4.3 is a good engine but the 3.5 has more hp than the 4.3. The hp on the 4.3 is 195 and the hp on the 3.5 is 220 on all except on the 07 which is 242. I have a 2004 ext. cab 4x4 with a 3.5 that just turned 50k miles and I love the truck. I haven`t had any trouble with the truck. I did change the tires just as soon as I bought the truck because the tires that came on it was not aggressive enough for the kind of driving I do. I also know from reading on this web site that the head could go at any time but I will wait and see what happends.
    The I5 in NOT a Truck engine or GM would have opted to use it in their ALL NEW 2k7 Full Size lineup. They opted to use the tried and true 4.3 because it has low end torque at low RPMs unlike the I5 which you have to spool up to get anything out of it.
    When I was shopping for a replacement for my '95 Sonoma I was going to buy a Colorado/Canyon because I had very good luck with my Sonoma. But when I heard GM was going to use a 'neutered' I6 I ditched that idea rather quickly. I'm damn glad I did.
    When you build a truck to be a contender in a very competitive midsize truck market one thing you do not do is go in with one arm tied behind your back by putting in a weak power train. That is exactly what GM did.
    They could have stuck with the 4.3 or the I6.
    At the time the I6 was rated as one of the Top Ten Best Engines by Wards.
    GM screwed up!!
    The latest is GM is putting the V8(5.3) in the H3 because the I5 is a total disgrace in the H3.
    They should admit the same mistake and do something for the Canyon/Colorado.
  • avallesavalles Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Colorado with 14000 and have just begun to notice the rough idle with the engine. I have called the 800 number and gave them the tec doc #1915 419 but they acted like they had no clue what this # was. Am I better off giving this info to my local dealer to see if my vin # is associated with this tec doc? I really like this truck but if a future of headaches is approaching, I'd rather unload it!
    There is a good chance you were routed to a help center someplace overseas where they barely understood ENGLISH!!
    Welcome to OUTSOURCING or as the say 'The Lowest Bidder' contractor. :cry:
    You seem to know a lot about trucks and engines. I didn't know GM uses/used the 3500 I-5 in anything but trucks.
    If the 3.5(7) was as good as GM said it was they would have opted to use it in their 2k7 Full Size Trucks instead of the 4.3.
    The 4.3 is a bigger engine and so is the big trucks. Another thing, GM can only build so many 4.3 engines and may have figured that as long as they have to spend the millions to build or retool an excesting plant they may as well build a new engine that just may be able to pass future emissions that the 4.3 may not be able to.
    Weak logic because the 4.3 use to be in the S10 which was a smaller truck then the Colorado/Canyon.
    The 4.3 comes from the same block as the 350 which is a plentiful as the problems GM has so that is not quite correct.
    But I guess it's always easier to TRY and make answers up when we don't know them.
    So you think that they take a 350, cut off 2 end cyl. and glue a plate on and abbra, cadabra, it's now a 4.3. Every plant can only produce so many of their product do to design of the plant, equipment, and man hours. So show me your facts that prove my 35 years in the auto industry with the last 16 years in future products is wrong. Yes the 4.3 was in the S-10 along with a few others but that still don't mean you will ever see it in the Colorado. I wouldn't want one. If I'm going to wish for a engine I would go with the 3.6 as it is a far more modern design.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine
    V6

[edit] 4300

The Vortec 4300 is a 90° V6 truck engine, replacing the Chevrolet 250 in light trucks and 200/229 90 degree V6s in passenger cars (the 200 and 229 were known as the V6-90, both were shortened versions of the Small Block Chevrolet). It is based on the 350 in³ (5.7 L) Chevrolet small-block V8. The engine first appeared in 1985 with the throttle-body injected LB4 in passenger cars (light trucks and vans had carburetors until 1987). In 1991, the limited-edition GMC Syclone featured a 280 hp and 360 ft·lbf turbocharged/intercooled LB4 with the first use of multi-port fuel injection on a Vortec V6. The central-port injected L35 (Vin 'W') debuted in 1992, with better breathing for 200 hp (150 kW). Another CPI engine, the LF6, joined the rest in 1996, while the LB4 was retired after 1998. In 2002, GM introduced a new multi-port injected LU3 engine, and a LG3 variant appeared soon after. This engines origins date back to 1955, when the original Chevy small-block V-8 was introduced.

All Vortec 4300s use a cast iron block and heads and 101.60 mm (4.000") bore and 88.39 mm (3.48") stroke (bore and stroke dimensions the same as a 350). Connecting rods still measure 5.7" although the rod journal diameter is 2.25". They are OHV engines with two valves per cylinder and are produced in Tonawanda, New York and Romulus, Michigan. Power output of the new LU3/LG3 engines is 180-200 hp (134-150 kW) and 245-260 ft·lbf (332-353 N·m).

4300 applications:

* 1985-2005 Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari
    * 1991-1993 GMC Syclone/GMC Typhoon
    * 1988-1995 Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy
    * 2001-2002 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana
    * 1988-2003 Chevrolet S-10/GMC S-15
    * 1994-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
    * 1985-1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlo and El Camino
    * 1985-1990 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice

LU3 applications:

* Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari (base models)
    * Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy
    * Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana (base models)
    * Chevrolet S-10/GMC Sonoma
    * Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra (base models)
    * GMC Envoy
    * Isuzu Hombre (optional)
    * Oldsmobile Bravada (base model)

LB4 applications:

* 1991 GMC Syclone
    * 1992&#150;1993 GMC Typhoon
    I know the 4.3 is a 350 less 2 cyl. but is still a seperate engine and they can only build so many per year and it is also an old engine. The I5 is brand new and they must figure in the long run it is better or they didn't figure they could make enough 4.3's for the Colorado. Who knows and who cares bottom line is there isn't a 4.3 in the truck and I doubt there ever will be. If we're goiing to dream then lets dream V8. Though I'm no fan of the I5 it works in my truck and most likely 99% of the others with it so either like it or buy something else.
  • donn2390donn2390 Member Posts: 23
    Why would GM possibly want to return to yesterdays technology and use the 4.3? It was a great engine in it's day, but it's day is past. The I-5 is a far superior engine, with 40 more HP that the 4.3, and better mileage. It will only get better. They have now resolved the head issue.
    I have had many 4.3's, and love them, but the new engine is one sweet package. G :) et out of your rut and think modern...