Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
edited October 2018 in Hyundai
Since the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe represents a brand new vehicle, with problems unique and different than past Santa Fe's, I feel it deserves its own discussion thread so we don't have to sort through problems with prior model years, which are not likely applicable to the 2007.

Comments

• davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    As a follow-up to a prior post by "ginop" in the now-closed 2007 Santa Fe thread, I too have experienced a problem with the outside temp indicator in my Limited.

When we picked up our new Limited from the dealer, the outside temp was reading 140 (actual temperature was in the 60's). The dealer looked at it prior to our taking delivery and said it needed a new temperature sensor. We will hopefully have the new sensor installed tomorrow. Hopefully it will fix the problem. While driving it the last few days I've noticed that it will often register 68 degrees (regardless of actual outside temp). This is a significant problem since the climate control system is partially controlled by the outside temp reading it senses, as was mentioned by ginop.
  • trebltrebl Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with my new '07 Santa Fe Limited. The problem is not the sensor. There are basically two different fuse/relay boxes between the display module and the sensor. The problem was a short in the second fuse box/circuit board. It took my repair folks a few days working with Hyundai corporate support to track down the problem. Once the box was replaced all has been fine ever since. I can't find the paperwork or I'd forward the part number. If your dealer can't fix it, have them call Eckert Hyundai in Denton, TX. and ask for the service manager Leonard.
  • slk70slk70 Member Posts: 12
    I also had a similar problem, and as trebl points out, it is a wiring issue trhough the fuse box and not a sensor issue. Dealership worked with the techs and rerouted the wiring directly to the dash/display solving the problem.

[EDIT] - Looking at the work order, the language is as follows:

"Tech confirmed fault with engine compartment fuse box. Tech performed following repair per Hyundai Tech Line. Jumped connecter B-39 to D-12 and D-6 to B-45. Outside temperature reading normally at this time."

Whether this is the best fix is unclear. My guess is there will be a TSB or even a recall notice in the near future. Limiteds are the only SF's with the problem since only they have the outside temp display.
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    Some of these are taken from previous postings.
    1) Inside door panels: the material below the door handle began to seperate from the frame. It took a few weeks but Hyundai installed new panels and all is well.
    2) I have the "kerlunk" under the car first thing in the morning after driving 50' or so. Seems to be a common ailment based on other postings. Does anyone have any answers for this ?
    3) Most annoying is that the body "creaks" when I make a sharp right turn. I don't know if this is just extreme body flex or what.
    4) Other than these minor issues I have 5000 miles trouble free.
  • santafeownersantafeowner Member Posts: 15
    sprintrps, can you elaborate on what was happening in point #1. On our front passenger side door I noticed the edge of the leather (or whatever material it is) is pulling out from under the door handle (the driver side and the back doors seem to be properly tucked in). Was your problem similar, or is it something else?

On a sadder note, we've only had our Santa Fe for two weeks (Platinum Sage Limited AWD w/ Premium & Touring Pkg) and my wife got hit by another driver this past Saturday (it was raining and he lost control as he passed her in the left hand lane on an interstate highway and hydroplaned into her :cry: . There's a fair amount of damage to the driver's side front fender and door. We took it for some estimates on Monday and are scheduled to have it in for the repairs in two weeks. Not surprisingly, none of the auto body shops we visited could bring up any prices on 2007 replacement parts from Hyundai (the one we went with ended up having to base the estimate on 2006 parts).

- Frank.
    The issue I had with the inside door panel is exactly the same as you described.Hyundai replaced both door panels.Even if you have the problem on just one side, I would reccomend having both sides replaced as (I think they know it is a problem)the new panels have the material attached securly.
    I am sorry to hear of your accident. I hope no one was seriously injured. Metal can be replaced.
  • ravenfan50ravenfan50 Member Posts: 14
    I also have the door panel issue, just on the driver's side. I have been waiting almost 3 weeks for the replacement to come in. The dealer's service manager told me he could have someone come in (next Thursday, the 9th)and repair the "tear".

Is there any Hyundai documentation about this known issue that I could share with the manager?
  • rbautistarbautista Member Posts: 8
    I had this same problem and was told the same thing. The outside temp is no longer stuck on 68*F. Let's hope no other issues come of this with the climate control.
  • rbautistarbautista Member Posts: 8
    In regrads to #2, I've had the same issue. The service department looked into and the mechanic could not find any problems. Their suspicion was that it has to do with the ABS. The confirmed it has nothing to do with the tranny. The mechanic test drove 3 other 07 Santa Fe's on the lot and they all did the same thing. This doesn't concern at all since it is covered by their warranty.

This is my first Hyuandai and I am not disappointed yet. My previous car was a Mitsu Eclipse and the service doesn't even compare to Hyundai's. When Hyundai looked into this issue for me, they gave me a loaner. Mitsu would always try to charge me for a loaner or wouldn't give me one at all.
  • trebltrebl Member Posts: 5
    I've seen posts elsewhere from people wanting their doors to automatically lock when the vehicle begins moving. Evidently, this feature isn't (or wasn't)preset at the factory. It's a simple re-programming which your dealer can do in a few minutes. I ran across this information someplace else but can't (due to older brain cells) remember where. I asked my service rep to set mine as below, and they didn't know it could be done on the new Santa Fe (they did know it could be done on the Sonata).

I apologize if this is old news.

From the 2007 Santa Fe Shop Manual

USER OPTION MODE
    The BCM (Body Control Module) offers 3 items user option mode for a user convenience (AUTO DOOR LOCK, ARMIDISARM BY KEY, HORN ANSWER BACK)
    It is able to set up the enable or disable of AUTO DOOR LOCK function or AUTO DOOR LOCK operation vehicle speed when using it.
    It is able to set up the enable or disable of enter the burglar alarm mode when using door lock by the key.
    It is able to set up the enable or disable of horn inform function when using door lock by the key or RKE.
    Select option "SNATAFF(CM)" and press ENTER.
    Select option "BODY CONTROL MODULE" and press ENTER.

Select option "USER OPTION" and press ENTER.

Select option "AUTO DOOR LOCK STATUS by using the direction button(& IT).
    Select the parameter by using the direction button( . I ) and press ENTER to save it. (Disable I 5km1h II Okmlh IISkmIh I 20kmlh I 2Skmlh 130kmlh 13SkmIh I 40kmlh)
  • santafeownersantafeowner Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your concern sprintrps. Luckily, no one was hurt. My wife was able to safely stop her vehicle (thank God there were no cars too close behind her). The other driver was particulary lucky because after he struck my wife's car he spun around several times across three lanes bouncing off between the left guard rail and center median of the highway. It was a young man in his early 20's driving his father's Durango with his girlfriend and several teenagers in the back seat. He received a carless driving ticket and was shaken up quite a bit (according to my wife), but all were safe. My wife made particular note of how "in control" she felt during the incident (It's no surprise to us though, we also have a 2001 Santa Fe).

- Frank.
    I do not think there is any "official" documentation. I waited 3 weeks and then called Hyundai. The Hyundai representative was excellent. She contacted the parts dept, found out exactly when the panels would be shipped, and called me back a few days later to advise me that the panels had been delivered to my dealer.
    Thanks for the info slk70. Your solution was right on. The service manager at my Hyundai dealer was impressed that I had the correct answer to my temperature problem, before it was even released to the public. After consulting with Hyundai, they did the same fix to my Limited. He indicated that Hyundai will soon be issuing a TSB with this fix.

I can now read the outside temperature (Too bad it's getting so cold out. Sometimes I don't want to know how cold it's getting ;) ).
  • gangsplattgangsplatt Member Posts: 11
    My 2007 SE has stopped displaying the outside temp on the trip computer. When I cycle through the different displays, i.e. Range, AVG MPG, etc outside temp doesn't even appear at all. I did hold the reset button in and it appeared but when I shut the car off and restarted it went away again. We like to have the outside temp always displayed since we live in the Northeast and its nice to know when the temp is close to freezing so we can be more careful when driving. Emailed my dealer for an appointment but am wondering if its a similar problem to what is occuring on the limited?
    I have the exact same problem. I can only see the outside temperature when I turn the ignition on and "scroll" through displays. Once I start the car only the range, mpg, and trip odometer are available to view or reset. Let me know if you get a solution from your dealer.
    I have the Touring package with the third row seats (which work very nicely). My problem is as follows:

I usually keep the third row seats folded down so I have more storage in back. If I then fold down the second row seat on the drivers side, I cannot easily fold the seat back up because the bottom rear of the seat back gets caught on the headrest of the third row seat. If I reach in with my hand and press the bottom/back of the 2nd row seat in and carefully guide it past the headrest, I can get it to fold up, but it's a pain.

Upon looking the situation over, I see that when I fold flat the third row seat, the compression of the seat back with the seat bottom pushes the headrest of the 3rd row seat up by about 1/2 inch. Just enough so the 2nd row seat back does not have enough clearance to easily fold up and down. This only occurs on the drivers side. The passenger side is a tight fit, but is able to open without my pressing it. If I take the 3rd row headrest off, I have no problem.

My question is, does anyone else have this problem, or is mine just an isolated case of things not being aligned correctly that I can get fixed by the dealer? Please let me know if you do or do not have this problem. Thanks.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Touring and Premium packages
  • slk70slk70 Member Posts: 12
    Glad I could help. No reason everyone has to lose the use of their vehicle for a few days while the problem is hunted down. :)

Also glad to know they are using the same fix. I was worried that this may not be Hyundai's standard fix long term. I figure it's worth while asking at the first oil change if they have changed the fix to something else in case this proves not to be the standard way to go. Also I figure to hold on to the repair slip in case I have to bring the vehicle to another dealer and they question who did the rewiring.
  • jamitjamit Member Posts: 5
    In Canada, I have the 2007 SF GL Premium AWD (7 seats) for 2 months. And I have no problems getting the 2nd row fold up/down with the 3rd row down. Before I fold each row down, I make sure the headrest is all the way down. There is an even gap between 2nd and 3rd rows when down. So I am pleased that I am not one of those isolated case. Yes, I would bring it in for misalignment. Let us know what happens. Thanks.
  • jamitjamit Member Posts: 5
    Sorry if this issue might have brought up before.
    When I read through the user manual, there is a mention of rain sensor option on some models. I think it means it can be set to AUTO mode when wiper is ON and speed is ON.

I have a 2007 GL Premium AWD, I do not think it has it. I have tried it, there is no difference in wiping speed when it rains lightly / heavily.

Does anyone have their rain sensor turned on. Which models?
    I don't think they have the rain sensor available yet in North America, just in Europe. It's certainly not a feature they're advertising here. The fact that it's in the manual suggests it may be available in the future, similar to what they did with the XM radio. Too bad - we have it in our RX350 and it works perfectly. I thought it would just be a gimmick, but I really find it to be useful.
  • gangsplattgangsplatt Member Posts: 11
    Dealer stated the problem was a loose connection into the fuse box.

On another note, the dealer gave me a 2007 Sonata to drive while my Santa Fe SE was being looked at. Not a bad car but the center cluster is ugly/cheap looking.
  • doublehdoubleh Member Posts: 21
    Howdy,

I really liked the 07' Santa Fe until trying to install our baby seat. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. We are expecting our 2nd this spring. We took our infant seat and tried to install it, but found we had to have the passenger seat very close to the dash in order to be able to get the baby in/out of the vehicle. Our seat is made by EvenFlo and has a jagged handle like the one in this picture that is causing us to move the passenger forward. I think there is a better designed seat/handle or even a smaller seat out there. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

PS - Our local dealer said if we can find a seat that fits he will buy it for us :)

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000FO2ZZ4/sr=1-2/qid=1164304765/ref=sr_1_2/104-2- 360570-6915104?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=15858271
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Child Car Seats That Fit discussion too for more suggestions.
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Doubleh,

We have had our 07 SF since August and we put our standard rear facing Graco model in the middle. We added a child rearview mirror to the center headrest and it works very well.

Yes, you have to reach a little farther but it's not a big deal and on inclimate days it gets you out of the weather a little better.

Also, we had a Dodge Grand Caravan prior to the SF and always had to push the passenger seat forward to accomodate the rear facing child seat. I think this is a problem common on most vehicles. Same problem on my Ford Taurus. On the rare occasions that we do use a different vehicle, we put the child seat in the middle. It also has the benefits of placing the child further away from side impacts and accommodating other passengers better in our opinion.

Regards,

JCS
    Thank you JSC and Steve for your replies. My wife and I went to Toys R Us last night to look at some new car seats. We found one made by "Peg Perago". We measured it at the store and it was 3' shorter! We told the store the situation we were in and they said we have 45 days to bring it back if it won't fit. We will be taking them up on their offer and see if it will fit. Will post back with the results.
  • chilidogchilidog Member Posts: 6
    There is a new TSB on the outside temp measurement problem -- 06-20-003.
    I had the outside temperature indicator fixed last week, but now the fuel range indicator only shows 328 miles when I filled the tank, before I had the temp fixed, it would register 374 miles when full.I am getting a little tired of seeing the dealer and vice versa.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Get serious!

The range will vary from tank to tank depending on what your previous/current MPG was/is.
    Just an update...We found a car seat that was 3 inches shorter than our previous seat. So now the santa fe is looking much more promising! The car seat is made by Per Perego.
  • aschwindtaschwindt Member Posts: 10
    I have a question for anyone w/ the DVD player/RS entertainment system. We've had our '07 for 2 days now and when we play dvd's, the screen flashes black intermittently and sometimes there is a wierd bar on one side of the screen blocking view. None of this seems normal and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what the fix was?

-thanks
    aaron
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please - a single posting of your question is quite adequate. The shotgun approach simply annoys the people from whom you're trying to elicit help.

tidester, host
  • sol5sol5 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone with the Ultimate package have a noticeable hiss when listening to the radio and/or DVD player with the engine running? Playing sound through the stereo with the engine off seems to completely remove the hiss.

Hiss isn't overwhelming but it's definately noticeable.

Am planning on taking it into the dealer but was curious if anyone else has experienced it.

Cheers,
    Sol
  • danny_rhodanny_rho Member Posts: 10
    I have GLS with 5 seat. I live in Vancouver.

My Santa Fe makes this slight but definitely noticible

grinding noise when it's being shifted from 2nd gear to

3rd. It's as if when you are driving manual, you let go of

clutch a little too soon, and your transmission makes

a sound, just like that.

But it happens every once in a while.

I talked to the local dealer, they said they can't fix

what they don't know. When a mechanic took it for spin,

he couldn't feel anything. And told me they can't start

fixing without something concrete dignose to begin with.

I thought my full description of what's happening is

good enuf to start..

Any way, this is bothering me big time.

Anybody else having this issue ?

Or Did I pick 1 out of 1000000000 santa fe which has
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    I was cleaning the second row and leaned on the back of the front passenger seat. Upon removing my hand I heard a strange noise similar to crushing a bag of potato chips. I depressed the material several times and had the same effect. It seems the adhesive is beginning to fail and allowing the material to pull away from the seat. Visually there is no issue but I will mention it to the dealer. Can some else take a look at there Santa ( w/ Leather ) and see if they are having the same issue?
    I am currently having issues with the button sticking from time to time. Anyone else?

Also, does anyone feel its slow to respond? Better than half the time it allowed the interior to get a good dose of fumes before switching to recirculate...

Called this one in and the dealer has asked me to bring it in for inspection after Christmas. Will update this post on the outcome.
  • hanjj23hanjj23 Member Posts: 3
    I've just bought a 7-seater Santa Fe 2.7 V6. I would like to put 1 to 2 golf bags on the roof rack to free up more cargo area in the vehicle. Any recommendations and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • sbernsteinsbernstein Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone had any issues with the MP3 capabilities of the Infinity sound system on the 07 Santa Fe? I know exactly what kind of audio files the stereo is supposed to read, and I only use MP3, so that isn't an issue. I have also tried multiple brands of CD-R discs and it doesn't seem to be a definitive factor 100% of the time either. This leaves me believing that the way the MP3 files are written to the disc (e.g. the disc's format) is the problem. I am using iTunes and some discs work, others don't. Dealer is beyond clueless on this one. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • srdriversrdriver Member Posts: 48
    Here are some links for some free software that will help you with your MP3 Files.

Link To MP3 Trim

Link To MP3 Gain

Link To ID3-TagIT

With the ID3 TagIt program you can setup your MP3s to show title and artist, etc., when they play.

Try burning with the free version of DeepBurner. Make sure that you burn as "Data" and No "Nulti-Session". See the following link.

Link To DeepBurner

Don't use paper labels and try burning at a lower speed.

Use folders for your music.

Hope this helps!
    Had the same issue. ONLY some disks would work until I realized I was not ending the session. If I placed an open disk it would not play. Hope this helps.
  • rshookrshook Member Posts: 17
    Went to get our new SF - put the DVD in for the kids to watch on the way home and it's dead, wouldn't even pull the disk into the unit. Bummer. They gave us a loaner but the new car's been in the shop all day today getting a new DVD unit per the service folks.
    Dealer replaced climate control.
  • rshookrshook Member Posts: 17
    Oooooooooops, it was an owner error :blush:. We picked the car up at night and when I slid the DVD in, I missed the slot thus it went into a small gap above the unit. Took the dealer all day to figure it out though so I don't feel so bad. No quality issue though so I feel better - though somewhat embarrassed.
  • sf121kmisf121kmi Member Posts: 14
    Every time I take my Santa Fe through the car wash, the check engine light comes on. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Yes. Plenty and none of them are cool. Get that Santa back to the dealer asap.
    Anything you can share, the dealer isn't an option. It's a 2001 with almost 150kmi.
    My apologies. My response was based upon your post within the 2007 Santa Fe Forum.

There are several areas you can check for water intrusion. Most are electrical. I highly recommend having a professional look at it. This issue will get worse and may disable the truck. Look for water getting to the fuse block under the hood. Also look for water some how getting into the fresh air intake. Locate and inspect the O2 sensor wiring harness and inspect for damage and exposure to the water. I am looking in the electrical manuals for more detail for you. What size motor do you have? While I wait for an answer I will guess it is a 2.7. Correct?
  • cruiser10cruiser10 Member Posts: 12
    If you are getting water in the engine compartment during the wash, it could be causing a misfire that will throw a code and check engine light. For instance some water may be infiltrating around your plug(s) or plug coil pack(s) causing a temporary misfire. After the water dries, and your misfire goes away, then your light will go out after a few run/start cycles. If you have an Auto Zone Parts Store nearby, they will read your error code for free and that may help you direct you to the problem, and if it is a misfire, it will probably tell you which cylinder(s)is misfiring. :)
    I agree. You will need the codes. Below is from the manual. Hope it helps:

SERVICE MANUAL
    Applies to: Santa Fe 2001-2004 and Sonata 2001-2004
    GROUP
    Fuel System MFI Control System

INSPECTING THE MFI SYSTEM

If the MFI system components (sensors, PCM, injector, etc.) fail, the interruption or failure to supply the proper amount of fuel for various engine operating conditions will result. The following situations may be encountered:

Engine is hard to start or does not start at all
    Unstable idle
    Poor driveability

If any of the above conditions is noted, first check for trouble codes and make basic engine checks (ignition system malfunction, incorrect engine adjustment, etc.). Then, inspect the MFI system components.

ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS
    Diagnostic trouble codes are set as follows:After the PCM first detects a malfunction, a diagnostic trouble code is recorded when the engine is restarted and the same malfunction is re-detected. (The malfunction is detected in driving cycle). However, for fuel system rich/lean misfiring, a diagnostic trouble code is recorded on the first detection of the malfunction.
    Erasing diagnostic trouble codes:After recording the diagnostic trouble code, if the PCM does not re-detect the malfunction for 40 driving cycles, the diagnostic trouble code will be erased from the PCM memory. However, for fuel system rich/lean or misfiring, the diagnostic trouble code will be erased if both of the following conditions are met:
    When driving conditions (engine speed, engine coolant temperature, etc.) are identical to those when the malfunction was first recorded.
    When the PCM does not re-detect the malfunction for 80 driving cycles.
    NOTE
    A "driving cycle" is completed as soon as the vehicle goes into closed-loop operation.

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)

The MIL lights up to notify the driver that there is a problem with the vehicle.

However the MIL will go off automatically after 3 subsequent sequential driving cycles that do not redetected the same malfunctions.

Immediately after the ignition switch is turned on, the MIL is lit for 5 seconds to indicate that the light operates normally.

The following Items can be indicated by the MIL:

Catalyst
    Fuel system
    Air flow sensor (MAF sensor)
    Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT sensor)
    Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT sensor)
    Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
    Front Oxygen Sensor
    Rear Oxygen Sensor Heater
    Rear Oxygen Sensor
    Front Oxygen Sensor Heater
    Injector
    Misfire
    Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP sensor)
    Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP sensor)
    Evaporative Emission Control System
    Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
    Idle Speed Control
    PCM
    Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor (Except 2.7L V6 engine)
    Idle Switch
    EGR System (Except 2.7L V6 engine).

Inspecting the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)
    After turning the ignition key on, check that the light illuminates for 5 seconds without the engine running.
    If the light does not illuminate, check for an open circuit in the harness, blown fuse and blown bulb.
    SELF-DIAGNOSIS

The PCM monitors the input/output signals (some signals at all times and others under specified conditions). When the PCM detects an irregularity, it memorizes the diagnostic trouble code, and outputs the signal to the self-diagnosis output terminal. The diagnosis results can be read by a Generic Scan Tool (GST) or Hi-Scan Pro. A diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will remain in the PCM as long as battery power is maintained. The diagnostic trouble code will however be erased when the battery terminal or the powertrain control module (PCM) connector is disconnected or erased using the Generic Scan Tool.

CHECKING PROCEDURE (SELF-DIAGNOSIS)
    NOTE
    When battery voltage is excessively low, diagnostic trouble codes can not be read. Be sure to check the battery for voltage and the charging system before starting the test.
    Codes are erased if the battery or the PCM connector is disconnected. Do not disconnect the battery before the diagnostic trouble codes are completely read and recorded.

Inspection Procedure (Using Generic Scan Tool)

Turn OFF the ignition switch.
    Connect the scan tool to the data link connector on the lower crash pad.
    Turn ON the ignition switch.
    Use the scan tool to check the diagnostic trouble code.
    Repair the faulty part from the diagnosis chart.
    Erase the diagnostic trouble code.
    Disconnect the scan tool.
    Wow thanks so much for all the information! I'll definately have it checked out. Thanks again! ;)
    No problem. Keep me posted. Good luck!