Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    caddyman32caddyman32 Member Posts: 2
    im new to this site but i dont know where to go to click on link to sell my 2 two cars can some one help me thanks :shades:
  • Options
    We don't sell cars here, but if you click on the Used Cars tab above and then click on "Find A Used Car For Sale", you'll be taken to AutoTrader. There's a Sell Your Car link there.
  • Options
    astphardastphard Member Posts: 24
    I'm interested in the Acura RSX v. Toyota Celica v. Mitsubishi Eclipse - READ ONLY thread being reactivated. The thread was active when those models were still new, and I'm wondering how they're holding up several years later and what people think of them now. Please let me know if we can do this, or if a new thread would need to be started. Thanks!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I can re-activate it if you really want, but I am thinking that it isn't likely to get much action given that it's been dead so long, and some of those aren't available new anymore. I think you will get reasonable feedback if you post in Help Me Choose.

Howzabout you try there, and if you're not getting what you want, let me know (I track that discussion) and we'll try something else?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    smohapatrasmohapatra Member Posts: 2
    i want to know about the new upcoming cars :)
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You may find more information on future vehicles on Inside Line.
  • Options
    albebackalbeback Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of assuming a lease. Based on what I have read I will not have to pay sales tax on the lease assumption (transfer of equity). Also, I have read that in Texas sales tax is charged on the full value of the vehicle at lease inception, not just the leased value. Dealers usually pass on this charge to the lessee.

The lessor (dealer) has informed me that they only charged sales tax on the leased value of the car, and that if I opted to purchase the vehicle at lease end, I would need to pay sales tax on the residual value. Looking at the original lease agreement, I am having trouble determining if the original lessee paid sales tax on the full value of the car, or just on the leased value. Please help.

Here are the numbers:

Agreed upon value of vehicle (I think this is called base cap cost): 32267.50
    Gross cap cost: 33560.55
    Cap cost reduction: 2755.14
    Adjusted cap cost (I think this is net cap cost): 30805.41
    Residual value: 16242.20
    Depreciation amount and any amortized amounts: 14563.21
    Rent charge: 3251.75
    Total of base payments: 17814.96
    Lease payments: 36
    Total monthly payment: 494.86
    Lease term in months: 36

Amount due at lease signing: 3250
    - itemized
    -- cap cost reduction: 2755.14
    -- first monthly payment: 494.86
    How amount due at lease signing will be paid
    -- Rebates: 250
    -- Amount paid in cash: 3000

Thanks,
    Al
  • Options
    Try the Vehicle Sales Tax Questions discussion.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    for the new (???) Chrysler 200 (not 300)...anybody know anything about this???
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    We don't have a lot on it just yet but you might scan these articles from Inside Line
    Chrysler 200
  • Options
    aae2808aae2808 Member Posts: 6
    Hi! I am currently driving an X3. My lease is up in October. I would like to keep the same payments and am looking for a small/mid-sized SUV. I love my X3, and would love to get the new one for the same price, but I seriously doubt I will be able to. I got my lease during the "recession" and got a good deal (or so I think). I only paid for destination, title and first month and then $475/35 months after for a 12k/year lease. I was quoted 60% residual and .00125 money factor at the time.

1) I want to drive something with performance
    2) I want 4 or all wheel drive, but doesn't need to be all-time
    3) small/mid sized SUV
    4) Bluetooth is a must
    5) would like scheduled maintenance included
    6) Automatic tailgate lift

Any thoughts on were to start to narrow down my choices?

TIA!

Amie
  • Options
    Hi Amie,
    One thing our members love to do is help other people spend their money. :)
    You might start in our discussion What is the best SUV for me?.

You can also look at a list of our other SUV discussions on the SUVs board, where you can find general SUV-related discussions and make/model-specific discussions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    aae2808aae2808 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, I just did that! (feel free to delete this if it is deemed inappropriate in this thread.)
    Amie
  • Options
    graboidgraboid Member Posts: 3
    Where should I post to ask for advice on buying a used car?
  • Options
    You can start in the Purchasing Used Vehicles discussion.

Lots of makes and models have their own "Buying a Used XXXXXX" discussion so if you have a car or two picked out to research, try the Search Forums box on the right sidebar.
  • Options
    lilty83lilty83 Member Posts: 1
    I got into a accident 2 years ago and now I am having problems with it. I went to go for a wheel alignment and when I went the mechanic said they cant align it right due to a problem i had with a previous accident. I bring my car to my local dealership to see if they can fix the problem under warranty but it wont be covered because it was caused by the accident. Now im stuck in a situation because i called up my insurance company and told them the problem they told me to call the shop that had originally did the body work for it but i dont want them to fix it because they took 3 Months to fix my car and they did a very poor job, paint is chipping where it was hit and the axle is bent. Should i take legal action or should i bring it to the body shop?, however i doubt there going to admit fault because it has been 2 years.
  • Options
    samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    I am not sure how to advise you on this, but I wanted to point out to our host and refer to a conversation we had last month in CCB's forum, and your unfortunate situation is dead-on exactly why some of us on that discussion were defending the position that there is a lot of risk involved in being the recipient of a car that has been 'fixed' after a collision. The closer it is to being written-off but not, the greater the risks. Rarely are there incidents that don't pop up later of varying degrees of seriousness. I plan to ask a friend about this and will get back to you, but I will advise you now that over the internet it is next to impossible to give the best advice and plan of action. I think he might advise a welded-in strengthening laminate steel plate in the crunched area, (hopefully there is room) to try to hold the proper factory spec position of what all was bent, so that a new alignment can be performed. Sorry to hear you are having this issue.

Sam
  • Options
  • Options
    akcamaiakcamai Member Posts: 9
    Stupid question... My son (who usually swaps out my winter tires this time of year) is on a work trip to Thailand...hardship. So I went to the garage and got so far as to plug in my very own Torque Wrench (son gave it to me with the caveat that "I'm not like the other mothers"). However, it appears that there are lug covers on these wheels. What the heck !! How do you take those off?
    Thanks... from an old Mom in a snowbank in Alaska.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,313
    Depends on what sort of lug covers. Most of them will pry off with a screwdriver.

But, I'd ask in a make/model specific discussion. Use the Browse by Vehicle buttons on the right, and pull up the model of car you are working on.

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Can you reactivate the Fiat 500 thread?
  • Options
    I can't do it but I'll put in a request for you asap!
  • Options
    Okay, the Fiat 500 discussion looks open again!

Fiat 500
  • Options
    jasperleejasperlee Member Posts: 1
    It's great to meet you guys here as I am a fans of Vehicle and engines. wish we can exchange our acknowledges and helps each other here.
  • Options
    cfrettycfretty Member Posts: 1
    I'm probably just not using the right words to search on. But I'm looking for advice on purchasing a new car in a different state.

With internet shopping, this has got to be more common. Looking for advice and tips to make sure all goes well.

FWIW. I'm in MN, purchasing a new vehicle in GA.
  • Options
    Try here: Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying

If that doesn't work for you, go to the right side of the page and choose the Browse by Board dropdown menu, then select Smart Shopper.

You'll see dozens of discussions..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    heritageadamheritageadam Member Posts: 11
    I am considering buying a particular 1979 oldsmobile regency 98 which I found for sale. For several years I have been on the lookout for one of this make/model/color which is the same as the first car I ever owned. It's located about 3 hours away from where I live. I’m looking for some advice especially regarding the fact that the car hasn’t been driven in years & what that may mean for me.

The current owners bought it from an estate sale this year. They don't have a lot of documented background on the car (or at least not that they are sharing), but have some unsubstantiated stories. The car has not had license plate tabs since 1992 & has sat in a garage. The current owners recently changed the oil & spark plugs & it is running. I've been to see the car & drove it myself. It actually started easily & ran smooth. Clean exhaust coming out.

I am trying to gain a better understanding of the concerns involved in a car that sat undriven for years. (apparently the old man drove it to the store occasionally, though if it didn't have tabs I can’t think he drove it very much)

The painted surface of the car & interior of the car are in good shape. (see pictures) I have no concerns there. However, I noticed some rust on some parts in the engine compartment, in particular on the master brake cylinder. There is some rust underneath & on the gas tank. Surprisingly to me the belts did not look particularly cracked. (I am not a mechanic.)

The current owners do not have documentation to support the mileage. (they’ve advertised it at 25K miles though in my mind very well may be 125K). None-the-less the car appears in good, well cared for shape to me for being 32 year old & original condition. It’s been in an area where cars are subject to salt/rust/winters.

My goal with this car would be to perform any "maintenance/repair" on the mechanicals that should be done in a car that has sat for nearing 20 years. I would expect the belts & hoses would need to be replaced & probably all the fluids flushed? what else? The current owner has changed the oil & spark plugs. I’d probably tow it home & also drain & refill the gas tank.

Ideally I would like to be able to drive the car as a daily driver / general use type car & keep in as original as condition as possible. I’m not looking to put it into car shows.

My questions for you:
    - What would you expect would need to be done to a car in general that has sat since 1992 to get it going again? (such as belts/hoses, etc)
    - Any ballpark on what it would cost to do what you think would be needed?
    - I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has after seeing the pictures, if anything catches your eye. Especially thoughts on the rust that is present. Could the rust in the engine compartment be due to condensation & having sat for so long?

I'm interested in the car but want to better understand the potential issues/future cost in a car that has sat undriven for years before I sink money into it to start with.

I'd appreciate any advice, whether general about issues that can arise in cars which have sat for years or specific after looking at the pictures that you can tell me.

Thanks
  • Options
    I cant figure out how to attach pictures. Any ideas?">
  • Options
  • Options
    bob252bob252 Member Posts: 48
    HI, Saw your post and had to reply, can we first address your question about mileage, the odometer goes back to zero when it hits 100,000 so from the dubious (lack of) documentation there is no way to demonstrate any facts of the true reading there, that does not really mean that the is or not, that being said your next reality here is that at best only going to give you about 11 miles per gallon suburban and 15 mpg highway. (a second thought) That big ole 455 was a great engine, so was the transmission, only problems the engines had that was common was the timing chains that would normally last 90k miles. I hope you checked the rear frame rails, as I did not catch your area, as that was a major problem with most of those cars of that vintage as well as the whole frame before you go any further, when you discuss the master cyl rust issue, was it on the firewall, or just the cyl. itself? What you have shown here in your thought are common sense and all of those things need to be addressed, especially all of the brake lines as well, towing is a good idea, also check the prices on other sites for the price you are going to pay for that Gem. (before you buy it) I am retired and worked on those cars when they were new, most of the things on those vehicles were simple to service, the only nightmare was if the car was equipped with "climate control" it is easily identified it says it right on the a/c -heat controls it has a wheel for the temp settings, when they went haywire you only had heat/a/c to the windshield, be aware of that the parts at this time are probably impossible to find, if you are lucky some time it was a simple fix from what looks like a tomato juice can on the firewall the can either rusted out or the vacuum hose from the engine rotted out causing the malfunction to that control inside. There is a lot more to be said, but not enough room for this reply, but a good choice for and old safe andreliable ride. Bob 252.
  • Options
    This is a topic to get directions; generally we don't use this space to actually discuss the question at hand.

I would suggest that you cut and paste your posts and re-direct them to here:
    CLASSICS BOARD--Project Cars/Hold 'em or Fold 'em

This would be the best place to get advice for your situation!
  • Options
    I thank the responders for their advice & thank the host for guiding me to a different area to post. I reposted there. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi bob252,

thanks for your help with this. I'm going to move your post to where the actual discussion on this problem of reviving a car in storage is taking place. This topic is merely to ask a host for directions on where to ask, it's not a topic that discusses problems in detail.

We'll see you, and your full post, over here:PROJECT CARS

thanks!

Host
  • Options
    laserguy1laserguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 BMW 328i that has low miles (about 31,000) but is almost 4 years old and is near the end of its new car warranty. I am considering buying an extended warranty (breakdown protection). I would like to know what servicing BMW requires, so I can determine what big-ticket maintenance is required in the next few years. For example, in the past I have had several cars that required replacing the timing belt at 60,000 or 80,000 miles. But I have not been able to find a simple list of required service at various odometer readings. Does anybody know where I can get such a list?

Thanks
  • Options
    Edmunds' Car Maintenance Guide should be able to help you with this. If there's anything else you need after reading from that list of service items, come back and let us know.

Host
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    You Owner's Manual will have a Maintenance Schedule, which will provide what you are asking. It also has a host of other information about your car.

But, when buying an 'extended warranty', I doubt you will find one that covers Scheduled Maintenance items. You will still be paying for these things yourself. Since timing belt replacement is a maintenance item, even though this is a significant repair, I doubt an extended warranty would cover it.
  • Options
    pennycopennyco Member Posts: 1
    I was just offered a three month job contract that may or may not turn into a full-time position at the end. We will need a second car for my wife and I to both get to work and split daycare drop off and pickup duties. If the contract doesn't turn into a full time job we can't afford the second car. Are there are safe alternatives for getting a car and turning it over in three months? If we lease we're looking at $3k down and some kind of penalty for early cancellation. If we buy new we would lose at least that much in value as soon as we drive it off the lot. I looked into renting a car for the period and it's about $2,500. Maybe a pre-owned vehicle is our only option? Anybody have any ideas?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
  • Options
    bob252bob252 Member Posts: 48
    I would think a decent running car that is used can be purchased for that amount of money, is your daily car in good condition? how much traveling is needed for that potential position? The purchase of a second "temporary" car for that is the wisest thing as you get to keep it without burdening your finances as you willl still have either way, give that opportunity deep thought. You can use either car if your present one is better if you need to travel. Good luck.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Can you deactivate my current screen name so I can activate a new one?
    I'm sure you can. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Not allowed. Please check the Membership Agreement (link is at the bottom of the page) - you agreed that you will only register once with a single username.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • Options
    How long is the period of inactivity before membership is terminated?
    A day seems long enough ;)
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Having a vehicle name in your username doesn't seem like such a great idea now, I bet. :)

(Gee, I hope I don't shrink.) :surprise:
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Having a vehicle name in your username doesn't seem like such a great idea now, I bet.

Sneakers always are in style :P
  • Options
    I'm old enough that your username wouldn't work for me either, anymore.
    In my next life, I'll have to use something like 'Generic'. :)
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    To be honest, I didn't give much thought to a username when I signed on. I had no idea I would still be around for several years. I'm guessing that others don't think about it much either.

There should be a warning asking new users if they would be able to live with their username in two, five, or ten years. ;)
  • Options
    Yeah... I know what you mean... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Why it's KYEFEDEX! Hi Kye! :P
  • Options
    I think I'm safe on that one.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR