Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type Transmission Problems

Comments

• tyggersstyggerss Member Posts: 1
    I own a certified Select Edition 2001 “S” type Jaguar purchased in 2003 with the extended warranty as part of the car being a “Select Edition.”

My wife and I drove from our home in CA, to Fort Worth, TX on September 28, 2006. Because of time restraints, we had to be in Fort Worth in two days. We have taken this trip several times before with no problems whatsoever. The car was under warranty when the transmission blew just before Eloy, Arizona. We were crossing the desert area of Arizona when I noticed that the RPM had been continuously high. My wife and I both noticed that car had been starting making some odd “lurches“. Approaching Eloy, Arizona the car began to make strange noises, jerking, and not accelerating properly. We quickly exited Route 10 and rolled into a Love’s gas station/mini-mart where the car died. At that time, the car would not go forward, only in reverse. Trying to go forward jerked and killed the engine; the tranny had blown completely. We called AAA for a tow, which Jaguar uses. The driver stated that there was no Jaguar Dealer anywhere nearby, but there was a Ford Dealer in Casa Grande, AZ, approximately 20 miles away. (We did not want to be towed to Phoenix/Scottsdale, which was the “closest” Jaguar dealer and be stuck there for 2 days as we needed to be in Fort Worth before the end of the weekend.) I talked to Linda at the Ford Service Center of Jones Automotive, and was told that even though Jaguar is owned by Ford and uses Ford parts, they would not touch the vehicle. She then recommended AAA Transmissions also in Casa Grande, AZ. We then had the car towed to AAA Transmission, where the manager stated that they indeed do warranty work, and we would be reimbursed from Jaguar. He would provide all of the needed paperwork. Due to our time constraints, it was necessary to rent one of only two cars available in this small town for interstate travel in Casa Grande to meet our schedule and leave the car with AAA Transmissions. Our intended first night was El Paso, but we missed our reservation and ended up staying in Las Cruces, NM. The next day we pushed our drive to make up our time, and arrived in Fort Worth in time for our son‘s birthday. The towing charge was $70.00, the bill for rebuilding the (Ford) transmission was $2,095.39, and the car rental came to $587.25.

After arriving back home, we contacted Jaguar regarding the warranty. The following is our ordeal to receive some kind of recompense from Jaguar.

Being a Select Edition car, we expected to be reimbursed for the charges incurred. I contacted Kathleen Viccaro, Jaguar Customer Service Representative, on October 16, 2006, and informed her of our ordeal. She explained that she would get back to me. We received a letter dated November 6, 2006, informing us that Jaguar would not honor our warranty. This does not seem acceptable as we purposely chose a Select Edition car, for our peace of mind, in case of just such a breakdown. I then sent a letter, dated December 23, 2006, to the Jaguar Board of Appeals to state my case as to why I felt that I should be reimbursed for the repairs to said car. I received a letter back from the Jaguar Appeals Board, dated January 18, 2007, that, though they had reviewed my concerns and I was valued as a customer and that they appreciated my business and patience, they, again, refused my request for reimbursement of the tow/repair of said car.

I then received a letter dated January 30, 2007 from our local Jaguar Dealership, where said vehicle was purchased, reminding us that our vehicle’s next scheduled maintenance check was due, as these checks “keep our car operating at peak performance and that Jaguar is committed to ensuring us a carefree driving experience“. The timing of this letter was impeccable.

On February 12, 2007, I sent a letter requesting that my Jaguar be taken to the nearest Jaguar dealer and be repaired to their specifications so that the car would meet their high standards as so lauded in their correspondence. The next letter I received, on March 5, 2007, was dated February 27, 2007, stating that since the warranty was up February 28, 2007, the repairs needed are now the responsibility of the owner. !!!!
    This correspondence had been going back and forth for 4 months, well within the warranty. Jaguar had belated a timely and satisfactory conclusion of this dilemma purposely to the point of the expiration of the warranty, and therefore, the end of their responsibility and any possible recompense in my favor. I am not impressed with their car or their customer service.

We have seen numerous other complaints regarding Jaguar car transmissions on the internet, and you can bet that this is our first and last Jaguar. :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I realize that Monday morning quarterbacking is the last thing you want to hear, but I think your miscalculation was not towing it to a Jaguar dealer. This was the loophole and they jumped through it.
  • kige97kige97 Member Posts: 1
    I too have $5500 transmission problem! I was told that the $5500 covers a rebuilt transmission. I have been told that a rebuilt transmission is better than a new one. If a new one costs more than $5500 then whew! I have been exploring other options. My 2001 S-Type is no longer under warant so I have to take the hit. So did TATA motors go ahead and buy Jaguar? When I was in India I read about them possibly purchasing Jaguar. How do we raise enough cain that somebody puts us on the recall list?
  • knowlegeknowlege Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am posting my message on this website because I have noticed that I am not alone when it comes to having some type of transmission problem with my 2002 S type Jaguar. I have just passed the 62000 miles on my Jag when the car is starting to buck as I start to excelerate. I've also notice to have some type of oder that smells like something is burning after about half hour of driving my car. The bucking started this morning as I traveled to work but then the condition got worse as I drove it home from work while stopping at the grocery market. Could I be in denile by assuming that I do not have a problem with my transmission. I am afraid to take it back on the road for fear that it will leave me stranded o n the side of the highway with the neareast Jagaur Dealership being two hours away. Please I need some advice as to what I should do and how should I handle my situation. I do like my car but it does me good if it just sits in the driveway for looks. Thanks for your time and help in this matter.
  • jaymzsjaymzs Member Posts: 16
    HI Buddy, I have a 04 v8 S Type, It has tbe Z Trans which should do the trick, does yours? BTW mine run out of warrantee this month but the dealer extended bumber to bumper to 85,000 miles and an additional 3 years. I fet the 2,300 is well worth it since I want to keep this car. Also transferable. Private companies gave me a quote of 3,400 to 4900 dollars, so I am glad about it. Now one of my employees has a 99 V8 5 speed auto, it has a 100,000 on it with no problems.
    I'm sure that don't hear the good newson here only the bad, with 85,000 being sold a year it might not be as bad as it seems, but get the warrantee!
  • sacovingtonsacovington Member Posts: 2
    IMO, don't wait to get the transmission serviced/replaced/rebuilt. But unless you REALLY TRUST your local Jag dealer, find another qualified mechanic. Their labor charges are astronomical for sub-par service (at least at my local dealer).

I took mine to the dealer multiple times for the same issues you're having (in addition to other issues with the trans) and they fixed many things - none of which were necessary or had any affect on the issue.

Ultimately (4th visit to dealer) I was told that the transmission needed to be replaced. This was despite the fact that I was told at the previous appointment that the transmission itself was fine and these were 'collateral' issues.

By the end, just before i had it towed to a mechanic, they transmission was slipping badly. Engine would rev up and eventually slip into gear, but wouldn't stay in gear. Would usually just seem to slip into neutral while driving down the road. To get going again i had to turn the car off and wait for a few minutes then start it again and PRAY it would go into gear.

Good luck. I wish I had better news -- it's not a fun place to be in. BTW, after 2 months of not having it, i should be getting my car back with a rebuilt transmission for around $2200.00 I've heard others say you're better off going with a rebuilt than new transmission on this car. And yes $2200 sucks, but it's far less than the $4400 the dealer quoted me for a new one.
  • runyonndrunyonnd Member Posts: 2
    Howdy All:
    (2000 S-Type 3.0) I've had troubles getting the transmission to come out of park before while parking on an incline, steep inclines and even a flat parking spots if the front wheels were up against the concrete parking block. You'd have to have someone rock the car before it would come out park.
    I was told to put the car in neutral with your foot on the brake prior to putting it into park, that it releases all the built up stored tension on the transmission, driveshaft and rear end. I've made a habit with this technique and haven't had a problem since.
  • blonddie66blonddie66 Member Posts: 7
    My 2002 S type had the same symptoms, but it was not the transmission. The car would hesitate and buck during acceleration. It was difficult going above 40 MPH. I also smelled something burning. My ex husband is a transmission rebuilder and general mechanic. It turns out that one of the valve cover gaskets was leaking oil onto the heads, plus I needed a tune up. He scanned the computor and cylinder # 6 was missing. Coil pack #6 was bad and the plug was fouled due to the leaking gasket. The motor is a ford so all the parts were either generic or Ford and cost be only $250. The Jag dealer wanted $1100 for a tune up.
  • iroadkingiiroadkingi Member Posts: 1
    What was the final result of the rubbing you heard in the transmission?
    I too hear that sound at 40-50 mph, Jag dealer said 4th gear missing teeth, how they can say that with out opening the tranny is beyond me. AAmco transmission says that it is in the rearend not the trans any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    By the way great car I always wanted one , got it now want to get rid of it back to the BMW for me.
    The New ZF trans is great but after driven awhile, there is a bit of program drift, if the trans does not syncronize exactly there is a bit of squeel or scrub between 3rd and 4th. You can hear it at almost any speed. Flushing and reprograming will only help for 5 to 10 thousand miles. I don't consider it a problem any more. Its a sturdy trans with a good rep. The new ones have the coverter adjusted correctly.
    There will be another Jag in my life.

JIM
  • hunterdivinhunterdivin Member Posts: 1
    Solution: See what they don't tell you is when you are parking your Jaguar(or any car for that matter) you need to use your emergency brake before you put it into park, other wise(especially on a slope) the car rocks back and if you just put it into park without using the emergency brake frirst, the rock back in park causes damage to the transmission. In most cases you can see the shifter acutally move a little as you take your foot of the reguar brake, that causes damage to your transmission! and eventualy leads to a major malfunction and costly repairs. So, when parking any car 1. brake 2. neutral 3. emergency brake 4. let foot off brake 5. PUT INTO PARK. and ta da no more transmission problems=) :):D
  • ddiddy4012ddiddy4012 Member Posts: 4
    I to have a problem with my transmission. My 2001 4.0 s type has 63k miles on it. How do we get a tsb or recall of the transmission problem?
    Which problem? There are 4 TSBs for various conditions that might occur.

As for recalls, there's a ECM re-flash that was finally included in factory S Types starting with VIN M02206.

There are other recalls but they concern loose ball joints and seat belts.
    I am speaking of the slipped transmissions of the S types. I would also like to know of all tsb reports on the 2001 4.0. Maybe my Rosenthal jaguar dealers will repair for free!
    Slipped transmission,loose glovebox,squeaky breaks,power windows
    Nope there are no TSBs on a slipping transmission for the 2001 S Type, sorry.

There's only one even vaguely related, which is here. Perhaps this might help you if you are in the VIN range?

S307-19

S-TYPE
    DATE
    06/05

MODEL
    2000-02 MY
    S-TYPE

VIN L00001-M44997

5-Speed Transmission - Erratic or Harsh Shifts - Valve Body Kit Available - Repair Procedure

Issue:

Some 2000-02 MY S-TYPE vehicles within the above VIN range may exhibit erratic or harsh transmission shifts. This can be caused by valve body or control solenoid failure.

You are aware, I gather, that a TSB is just an advisory to the dealer and he is under no obligation to fix your car. A TSB is not a recall, there is no mandatory repair work dictated by the factory, nor any legal obligation to perform TSB work.

As for other TSBs for the entire car, the list is very long and I couldn't possibly post all the contents here. If you want all the TSBs in their details, you should buy a one day subscription to www.alldatadiy.com, and print them all out. Looks like there are 40 or 50 of them, but not all might pertain to your particular year and VIN of course. Maybe 20 of those would pertain.
  • mlimasmlimas Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I am new to the site and was considering buying a 2002 S-Type w/70K miles....The vehicle has been pre-qualified w/a 3-year, 45K mile warranty, which I intend on purchasing. After reading all of the previous postings I am second guessing whether or not I should purchase the vehicle. I only need the car for a couple of years before I buy something else. Should I purchase the vehicle? If I intend on buying a Jag should I put a little more down and buy an '03 S-Type or newer? Obviously I'm sure many of you will recommend the newer S-Type but the dealer I am looking at, who is apparently the nation's leader in pre-owned Jag sales has a price difference from an '02 and '03 at about $4K. Any Suggestions. Thank you for your help in advance,

ML
  • amadaussamadauss Member Posts: 8
    With the warranty probably a somewhat safe bet, but remember, if you look at all the posts, even a tune up costs a small fortune which would not be covered. The fact is, It is not the prestige of owning a Jaguar that makes you stand out, it is the prestige or ability to be able to afford servicing this car. Every time in the shop the numbers are staggering. And the Trans. will give you problems, they all do eventually. Good Luck
    The bottom line is there'so such thing as a free lunch. If you like a classic look and have standards, go for the Jag. If you don't want to spend the money on maintenance and repairs buy a little crappy Honda and blend into the crowd. My ex husband is my mechanic and he tells me every car brand has their problems. I would never lower my standards and drive a Japanese car. Wholesale Jag parts are cheap because they're Ford. Find a good local mechanic with a scanner to diagnose any computer codes. A Jaguar trans is a Ford trans. Nothing special or complicated. The Jag dealers will soak you if you know nothing about the car.
    I had a gear box fault code on the dash about 3 months ago. The car went into safe mode so I couldn't drive it. I had it towed. My ex replaced a sensor and reset the computer. No more gear box fault codes.
  • jaypiothjaypioth Member Posts: 1
    can u ask your dad how muchi should pay for a total rebuild on a 2000 jaguar s type so i dont pay to much? thnx
  • soberguyjaguarsoberguyjaguar Member Posts: 43
    Dear Mr. Shiftright, I feel you are being unfair to you car and your warranty company. This situation is not so much a problem with Jaguar of America, your local dealer, or the extended warranty, as it was a problem of your misunderstanding of your responsibilities under your warranty. I own 2 independent
    auto repair shops and I dont know any manufacturer or warranty underwriter who
    will let you just do whatever you want and then send them the bill afterward. You can do whatever you want with your own money, but, if you want to spend someone
    elses, you need their advance consent. Insurance and warranty fraud require these
    companies to protect themselve by giving prior consent to aftermarket repair shops.
    Particularly rural shops where the traveler is stranded and at the mercy of a single
    service provider. A simple phone call to the extended warranty company is usually
    all I need to do to get approval to do stranded motorist repairs. Sometimes they send a inspector from another shop, sometimes they just approve it. Occasionally
    they say NO, the car must be towed to a manufacturer licensed shop or dealer.(Maserati, Lamborghini, Ferrari, for example). You cant do what you did with auto
    collision insurance, health insurance,or any auto manufacturer I know of. I think it
    is very unfair of you to criticise Jaguar for situation that YOU put yourself into. The
    results would have been the same if it was a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, or Mercedes.
    Occasionally, I see customers who try to proceed without prior warranty approval, and I always tell them to call the 1-800 number first.(or I call it for them).
    If there is a bad guy here, its the greedy service writer at AAA transmissions. You
    dont handle extended warranties for a living but he does. Rather than take the chance of having Jaguar send a flatbed for the car, he sold you an unauthorized
    repair with the impression that you could submit a claim for it later. Any experienced service writer knows that NOBODY pays after the fact. They all require
    the advance opportunity to inspect. I think you should recind your lengthy complaint
    about Jaguar and just turn AAA transmissions in to the Better Business Bureau.
    Hi soberguy,

I think your comments were for tyggerss about a post that was put up over a year ago.

I had responded by telling the person (they own the car, not me) that the car should have gone to the dealer as a warranty claim.
    Yeah. I figured that out after I read my response. Nice of you to reply though. I
    just get tired of people blaming their mistakes on their car and had to put something on the website. Maybe someone else will read it and save themselves some money. Soberguy.
  • isolde28465isolde28465 Member Posts: 7
    The weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders. I finally traded in the Jag for a pre-owned Lexus. Even with the extended warranty on the Jag, the problems were many - everything from the A/C going out, to needing a new ignition to the transmission locking up and being replaced at 60,000 miles. Not to mention the check engine light coming on once a week. I loved that car, but boy, I hated that car. I'm now hoping for years of maintenance free driving pleasure. It's true the Lexus doesn't have the elegance of the Jag but WHO CARES????
  • chornchorn Member Posts: 5
    Based on the problems I've had, I believe that if Jaguar had made a recall out of what tyggerss's ex-husband did to fix her transmission problems, we wouldn't be having this whole discussion. Once I shut my car off, it resets the computer and all the problems go away. If you continue to run your car in the mode the computer puts it into, you can cause permanent damage to the transmission. When I get a transmission fault, I let off the throttle and turn the car off and immediately on, and the problem goes away. I think the computer is reacting to a faulty sensor and once that is cleared, it works normally. I really believe that this is the type of problem that Jaguar should take responsibility for. These are too fine of cars to let that type of support not be afforded.
  • chornchorn Member Posts: 5
    isold 28465:
    I think tyggerss said it best. If you want a Honda, buy one.
  • HenrySalgueroHenrySalguero Member Posts: 2
    Helpful tip. Always use the handbrake to relieve stress off the transmission, leave the handbrake on when switching from park to reverse or drive, once in drive or reverse take off the handbrake. Really does help out your transmission
  • drcoodrcoo Member Posts: 1
    Hello do you mind if i ask about this sensor? what kind is it? and do u know the product code?

i have a problem please let me explain...

have a "gearbox warning light" hich comes on no and again, usually when the wife is driving the car.
    I have had this looked at " no issues" £500 later .

It could be computer related.nks all

Its not worth spenind serious cash on this for a electrical experienced mechanic,
    so does anyone know how i can manually removed the dashboard warning light, " gearbox fault" - can i take out a fuse etc?

i need an easy life from the wife, she wont have it that i have spent £500 and " nothing is wrong" -

id really appreciate any adivce.
    Or if i cannot remove it perminately, is it poss to remove it short term, for example just before she drives it?

thanks all

Jeff
  • JAGBLUEGIRLJAGBLUEGIRL Member Posts: 1
    Never will I buy Jaguar again. Water from the front window goes right down from the glass and rusts out the coils/cylindars and spark plugs. I have to have all coil/cylindars replaced according to my repair shop. Not to mention that I had to have the transmission replaced the same year I bought it. It has been nothing but problems from the window gears burning out several times to noisy transmission and you name it. Not a good car sorry I bought it. The air condition went out and the fan had to be replaced. It was still under warranty. The Jaguar Dealer Manhattan Jaguar in Rockville acted like they did not know where the noise was coming from and would not correct the transmission problem. Also I took my car in for brakes and they opted to replace the front brakes but not the back brakes and I thought nothing of it but my husband asked why did they not replace all of the brakes. We found that the back brakes had been welded on because screws were missing from the brakes. Once the warranty goes you can forget it. I bought extended warranty (DS) separtely to cover my car and they refused to pay for window gears which were covered under the extended warranty. The repair shop and the warranty company (DS) could not agree on the price so I got stuck with the bill. I want a regular all american made car from now on. Something my husband can work on. All of these things are not Jaguar's fault however, I never want to see another Jaguar.
  • delorishdelorish Member Posts: 1
    We are disgusted with our 2005 Jaguar S-type. It has 51,090 miles on the car. i called Jaguar to inquire about the gearbox message and was told it was no longer under warranty. I am still driving the car and do not know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions, I was told by a mechanic at the Jaguar dealer it could be my gas cap. I checked my gas cap and it is disconnected. HELP!!!
    Gear box fault has nothiung to do with your gap cap. I have a 2002 with 116K miles. When I had the gear box warning, the trans went into safe mode and wouldn't move over 10mph. My mechanic (not a Jag dealer) scanned the code and replaced a sensor. Problem solved.
    Your problem is that you bring it to a Jag dealer for repairs.The S type is nothing but a Ford Taurus mechanicaly. Most of the parts are Ford. If your hubby can fix American cars, he should be able to fix your car. Just take it to garage to scan any codes.
  • beewarebeeware Member Posts: 8
    Ahhh Man.... i just bought a 2000 jag, s-type. i love the car and the style. i just started experiencing a misfire as i accelerate. My mechanic,whom i trust and have been doing business with for years now, has just advised me that i'm having transmission problems. I'm considering getting rid of it since reading all of these comments. Say it ain't so....!!! I was told that this car was not influenced by ford. Ford, if you're reading, YOU SUCK. I should have known better. I'm hoping for better luck, but i doubt it. The car still runs good.....so far.
  • isolde28465isolde28465 Member Posts: 7
    I feel your pain. I dumped the Jaguar this year and bought a pre-owned Lexus. Smartest thing I ever did. When I traded it in, it had 60K miles. Transmission was replaced, ignition replaced, a/c replaced, and the list goes on. Gorgeous car with amazing style, but it's a heartbreak.
  • amadaussamadauss Member Posts: 8
    Not so. After 2003 they became Fords. Before that it was British. A Ford Dealer would really not know what to do. Rather than a Jag dealer who will charge you an arm and a leg, try a local small mechanic that works on cars of this type. They seem to know what they are doing and do a great job. Bottom line, the transmission :lemon: is not the greatest and will go sooner than most but I think the cooling lines that take the fluid to the radiator and back have an issue with leaking which you never see because of a heat shield that catches it before it lands on your floor. And not being able to check this fluid with Jag suggesting not to change it until 100,000 miles is crazy because you never can find out if it’s losing fluid until it’s too late. And when they tell you to pay 2 grand to have the water pump system and hoses that need to be replaced because they will go, buy the hoses yourself and replace them. It’s not really the water pump system but hoses that leak after a time and not that hard to put in if you have a little ability or again find that mechanic.
    Remember though, it’s not the prestige of owning a Jag that sets you apart, it’s the prestige of being able to pay for the service charges that really set you apart and stand out. :shades:
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    Sorry - Ford never built a 6 speed - rear drive Taurus, or, one with a 4.2 V8 under the hood either. The 3.0 6 cylinder engine the S-Type uses is derived from the Ford Duratec, but, uses different internals, a different induction system, is high compression, and makes more power. The X-Type shared about 20% of its parts with the European Ford Mondeo (much different car than Taurus). I've read that the S-Types shared a few parts with the Lincoln LS - but, have yet to find anything with Ford stamped on it on my S-Type 4.2. I do my own maintenance on mine, but, I armed myself with a Jaguar service CD so I wouldn't screw anything up.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    Well I can tell you that I and one other RE agent own a 2001 and 2004 respectively, The 2001 has over 110,000 miles on it with only minor probs, my 2004 ofcourse has the new XF trans. It's been in the shop a number of times but nothing major. All under warrantee and the best of service. I love the power of the V* and the economy. Recently I drove from Salt Lake City to Palm Springs and back and got a combined 26.5 mpg. ONe week driving ;around in PS included!
    You know how fast that free way is? I got a speeding ticket LOL ,,,
    Good Luck to you , I want my 3rd Jag after this.
    Dear beeware, In answer to your question quite a bit of information would needed to advise properly. However, there are very few cars more expensive to keep on the road than an old Jaguar. My experience is that the ones with the most miles on them are more dependable than the ones rarely driven. of course the ones rarely driven can
    still look brand new. In response to all this stuff about Ford, Ford purchased Jaguar
    in 1990 and continued production in Coventry, England. They revamped the whole company and produced the first "Ford" Jaguar, the XK8 in 1996. This and the XJ8
    were released as 1997. In 1996, Jaguar had an owner satisfaction rating of "much
    worse than average", second only to Land Rover in owner dislike. For 1997 their
    customer satisfaction was "much better than average" about the same as Honda.
    Ford owned Jaguar and Land Rover for 18 years and never made a profit. They did
    however revitalize the marque by building super posh cars that are surprisingly dependable. Dependability for a car with high performance, multigear trans, auto
    suspension and auto cruise and wipers is unfortunately going to be worse than on
    a simple car. That's why Honda is taking such a hit on their 2008 Accords. When you have more features, there are more things to break. An old car with a lot of features can be expensive. Especially when considering that people who are selling
    their car tend to put off maintainence. I had a '97 xk8 from 2006 to 2008 and it looked and drove like brand new. I only spent about $900 on it total and absolutely
    NOTHING" Ford" would work correctly on it. I had to convert one of my Ford factory scanners to Jaguar to read anything but the OBDII codes. Then it wouldn't work on
    Ford,Lincoln, or Mazda. I have a 2006 s-type v-8 4.2 that I love better than any car
    I've owned, but it has the 6speed ZF transmission and not that somewhat weaker unit in previous models. Try Worldpac.com to buy all your ignition and other parts.
    You can't use ford spark plugs in the Jag engines. The harmonics are different. Internal parts for the 2000 Jags are expensive and not available from anyone but Jag. Best of Luck, Soberguyjaguar.
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not a mechanic, but my instincts never fail. After 2 short months this car is giving me problems already. Hey, i know its not a new car, but i can't stand problematic cars. 8 out of 10 messages on this forum have nothing good to say about these cars. I keep reading about how trashy transmissions they have.......i don't know, but they sound pretty convincing. You sound very informed... should i just get rid of this car or what??? I'm about to trade it in.
    Hard to say without knowing what is wrong with it. I've fixed some of these just by
    taking out the brand new but wrong spark plugs and installing correct ones. Incorrect
    spark plugs(Lincoln LS) for example send out minute radio signals that mess with
    PCM and oxygen signal sensors. Has any one read the codes? Why do you say it has a misfire? Misfires can cause the transmission to act up but you wouldn't have the same codes in the transmission module as for an internal transmission problem.
    How many miles on the car, who bought from, what part of the country, service records? How much paid, how much would you lose to trade, and are you trading for
    a new car or a used Range Rover?
    By the way, any one who thinks that Jags are the only cars with transmission problems might want to go to the home page of this blog and type in"Lexus transmission problems" or " Honda transmission problems" and just start at the top of the page and read until you vomit or go get your jag fixed.
    You are correct. Jags are not the only cars with transmission problems. My 2000 honda accord had tranny problems, but honda replaced it with a new one, not rebuilt or fixed. Never had a problem since. Its been 4 years now. There are cars with chronic excessive tranny problems. Are jags one of these??? The problem isn't fixing it, but am I going to have to fix every 6 months to a year??? I don't have any service records, its a new york car, 76,000 miles , and It jerks a little when I go over 50 mph. It may just be bad plugs. But there's definitely a tranny problem.
    Hard to say if you will have a lot more problems but what about the codes? Have you tried autozone? they read codes for free.(engine codes) Jags are not any different from American cars on their OBDII engine management codes. Autozone cant get into the Body or Transmission codes, but if you get me the engine codes I could interpret those for you. Hard to know if its serious or not without info from the cars own on board diagnostic system. Also, you could have 2 problems, or three! But if it
    drives good most of the time, I would start by pulling the codes, Its a pity you dont
    live in Oklahoma because we pull codes for the customer for free. Is the check engine lite on?
    Thanks for the advise. I'll get the codes. Car drives good with the exception of the minor jerking every now and then. Once over 40-50mph, the car really picks up. I can do 110mph easy with out even feeling it.
    No check engine lite on.
    The transmission is done and i got rid of the car before it costs me serious money. I'd rather take a small loss on the car than pay a fortune for what seems to be a repeat offender when it comes to transmission problems among other things. People please, get out while you can. I traded the jag with $1,500.00 for a 2000 Benz C class. I Feel good about it and Benz is better quality anyway. Low mileage too. Seee ya! I will miss the looks i'd get while driving the jag. I'll take my chances.
  • shalom3shalom3 Member Posts: 1
    Today Jaguar Transmission Fault Light came on. But, I notice no significant change at first, then it began to rev up. I notice most that most people in the forum stated they had a Transmission Gear Light. I have a 2001 jaguar with 80,000 miles and I need to what can I do about this problem? Some mentioned they had a class action suite against the company. How do I sign up? I purchased an extended warranty will that help, because sometime the warranty might cover certain things. Please reply to my post.

Thank You
    I hope it works out for you. You have traded one older car for an even older car. However, the problems usually seen with the C-class and S-type are different. You definately went backwards in performance and style,(the E-class is comparable to
    what you had) but if your dependability improves, then you may feel that you have made the right decision. I hope that that is the case. What I normallly see in older C-class's is auxilliary problems. The Air conditioning might fail but the car will get you to work. the check engine light might come on for innumerable reasons, but the car still runs. You might experience a number of body electrical problems that don't stop you from using the car as transportation. On the other hand, a transmission failure on the Jaguar would stop you dead in your tracks. You would have to either fix the transmission or trade the car broken. Either one of which would cost you a severe deduction in its "cost to own". If you traded a broken Jaguar for a good Mercedes then you probably made a good deal. It might be less car, but, at least it's not broken. This discussion completely leaves out the possibility of the Mercedes having a bad transmission, which is almost as possible as the Jaguar. However, we now know for a fact that the Jag had a bad tranny,yet the Mercedes seems to be OK. That is a good trade. As long as everything is working on the C-series then you traded a broken car for a good one. Lets hope it continues that way. The only advise I would give on an older Mercedes is to not skimp on the maintanence. If it needs it ,you should do it. No older car is trouble free, but the Merc might be cheaper to keep'er than the Jag. Maybe.
    Best wishes and best of luck, Soberguy.
    A transmission light on a Jaguar is not neccessarily a big deal, but, a transmission that is slipping in a Jaguaar is almost always the need for a complete rebuild. You
    mentioned that you had an extended warranty. Take the car to a Jaguar dealer and let them rebuild it under warranty. You are not likely to have a lot of problems that a basic powertrain warranty wont cover. The car is older, but, Jags are usually very
    good cars. They can have other problems just like any car can but the high performance drivetrain is the most likely that any owner will experience. Problems with the rest of the car are few and rare. If you paid for insurance on the drivetrain
    by means of an extended warranty then why not take advantage of it? If a Honda owner bought an extented warranty they would take their car in for repairs. Why not tak the Jag? All older cars will need a new transmission sooner or later. There
    are not NEARLY enough Jaguar transmission failures to hope for a class action suit. The transmission in your car is truly the WORST one offered by Jaguar in the last 15 years,and yet, it doesn't have enough early failures to justify a class action suit. There is NO hope in that direction. NONE. The Jaguar transmissions are far
    out-lasting the Honda, Ford, Hyundai,Chevrolet, and Chrysler transmissions that where replaced for free under factory campaigns. Most Jaguar transmissions are lasting for what the courts consider to be a normal service period. If you have a warranty then you are in a different group than most of the people who write to this blog. They write to this blog because they bought an older used car and they dont have money to fix it. YOU DO! You dont have to join this group of disgruntled owners who are blaming the car just because they dont have the money to keep
    it properly maintained. Use your warranty and then write back about your experience. Be sure and say what warranty you had and how well they answered your claim for repairs. I do tons of repairs under warranty and I rareley meet a warranty company that wont fix the car if they are notified in advance that repairs are needed. Just take the car to a certified shop and see what the warranty company says. All cars need repairs sometimes. Few cars are as good aqs a Jag.