Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• nowlennowlen Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2012
    I posted the following paragraph 5/9/09 - nearly 3 years ago and I still own the vehicle. I have switched between the 17 and 19 inch tires at every season change (6 changeovers so far) and I have had no problems at all. I would suspect it is easier to find the base 17 inch wheels now that that the Highlander has been out for quite a while, but the bottom, bottom line... it is fine to go with the OEM 17 inchers on a HL that came with 19's. And for what it's worth... I replaced my summer 19's with Toyo Versados and absolutely love them.

Original post: I own an 08 Sport with the 19" wheels. Although they were hard to locate for a price I was willing to pay, I finally found a set of 17" base wheels on ebay and they were delivered yesterday. I just had Michelin Latitude X-Ice mounted on them and tested them on the Highlander for fit. (I always prep for winter and for years have bought my snow times in the late spring for very low prices - I got these for 45% off). I'm pleased to say there is no problem with fit on the Sport as many have claimed. The hubs, calipers, rotors and everything else that would matter are the same part number except for the strut on the Sport so I had marginal concern. BOTTOM LINE: if you want to put OEM Highlander Base 17" wheels on a vehicle with 19" factory wheels GO FOR IT AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT A FIT PROBLEM.
  • ndabunkandabunka Member Posts: 24
    It looks like the most fuel efficient tires for our '06 Highlander Hybrid Limited with stock 17-inch OEM rims is going to be the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's. These are the truck-rated version of the 422's that have had some success on the smaller hybrid cars. So far, EVERY review has pointed these to be the MOST FUEL EFFICIENT (yes, even more fuel efficient than the Conti LX20s per even Tire Rack's reviews). In addition, it also appears that these are the QUIETEST of the bunch (numerous tests). Granted, Tire rack did say that they like the performance and handling of the Conti LX20's but I also saw a LOT of "horror stories" of poor quality control on those and people having to return to the dealership for warranty work. Now, I generally LOVE Conti tires. Low profile ones are on grandma's Volvo S80 (We call her G-MA!) and I'd have the DWS's on my BMW if they had been available at the time.

But on this HiHy, we have been through tire after goodyear tire and are (honestly) just tired of being their (un-compensated) test bed for their wear issues. Now, the latest variant HAS lasted 40K miles and could (probably get another 3-4K out of them) which some might say is good but these are a 65K mile tire. GY might even be willing to give us some type of credit for the 2/3rds wear but at this point we are simply ready to PUNT.

I will come back on here and provide our opinions of the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's once we've had a chance to put them through their paces.
  • thl08thl08 Member Posts: 6
    I also have an 08 Ltd with 19-inch wheels and nearly 53,000 mileage. Drove on the original TOYOs about 9 months (tires still in my garage) while researching other owners' comments of their experience. Replaced the TOYOs with Michelin Latitude P255/60 R19 tires. Smoother, quieter ride; better braking performance; and better rain/wet road performance. Better gas mileage, too, than in first few months, though that could be more credited to the AMSOIL 0-30W 100% full synthetic engine oil I use. The Latitudes are highly rated and I think go to 65,000 miles. With tire rotations and wheel/tire balance done every 5,000 miles and the way they look real good now, they may exceed that 65k. Unless an even better tire for the H Ltd shows up, I plan on replacing with another set of Latitudes. Also read up on the Tirerack web site. Anyways, best wishes on your tire research and decision.
  • thl08thl08 Member Posts: 6
    First time poking around since 2009: Bridgestone Dueler HL 422 Ecopia may be worth considering. Has it in size P245/55R19; rated "103S", "640AB", and warranted 5 years or 65,000 miles.
  • davem18davem18 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    I purchased the Hankook Advantas A/S 19" tires (65k mile warranty) and only got a bit over 25,000 miles on them before they had to be replaced - down to 2/32 and that is not good in Wisconsin winters. I rotated and balanced every 5K miles and kept the receipts. I went the dealer that sold me the tires and they contacted Hankook. I got a prorated deal on same new tires. I hope these do better. The tire dealer said he had sold a lot of these tires and this was the first set to come back. So at least Hankook stood behind the warrant but they did require a copy of all the rotations with date and mileage.
  • donnat88donnat88 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 4 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires for my 2006 HiHy as well. I am not getting very good mileage. How are you doing with yours and what pressure did you set them?

Thank you
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Don,

It is common for folks to mis-understand the LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) designation It means the tire has low rolling resistance relative to other tires of the same type - meaning the same treadwear and traction ratings.

There is a technology triangle between Treadwear, Traction (especially wet traction), and Rolling Resistance. In order to get good values for one of those properties, one or the other (or both) of the other properties has to be sacrificed.

Improvements in tread compounding can change that a little bit - which is what LRR means - but the overall relationship between those 3 things still applies.

Put another way, you should expect tires with high UTQG treadwear ratings to have worse fuel economy - and tires that give good fuel economy to have low treadwear ratings..
  • 4rohrs4rohrs Member Posts: 2
    In response to Graham - I had the alignment checked every 5000 miles with the oil changes. And it usually was always out a bit, toeing-in.

I went with the Continental CCLX20 - 70k. I have nearly 5000 miles on them after a spring break trip to Florida. They feel very nice on the road, great handling, grip, quiet, and I have seen improved gas mileage even in the city.
    We are actually getting better fuel economy out of ours (26.4 & 26.1 MPG on a recent 600 mile round trip). I had the tires @ Toyota factory specs (34lbs) for first leg and @ 40lbs for the second trip and the lower pressure actually appears to have given better performance which I found to be odd but we DID have a head wind on the return trip whereas there was ZERO wind on the way down to the beach so I don't think that the pressure plays as large a role with these newer tires. This means that we got about 1/2 mile to the gallon better with these NEW H/L 422 Ecopia's than we had been getting with the prior WORN tires. Since new aren't as efficient as worn tires, this was welcoming news to us showing that the FE should get even slightly better as they do (eventually) wear in some.

We previously had the low rolling resistance Goodyear Assurance tires and were averaging around 25.5MPG but those were actually the ones designed for a car instead of the truck because they did not make any "truck" tires back when we had bought those some 3 years ago.

Ours is a 4x4 Hybrid Limited with every option and we were fairly well loaded with luggage so I'd say that was about as good as expected. This truck has NEVER made the 31MPG that was advertised but has ALWAYS averaged above 25MPG in city or on the interstate with very little difference in fuel economy.

Note note however: I took it out after the long trip and "played around" with the economy by driving a mix of "under 55MPH" city-type traffic as I do with each set of tires I put on. I was actually quite surprised that by using hyper mile-ing techniques at these speeds that I was able to get the FE up to 32MPG (on the NAVI screen anyway). Whereas with prior tires, I could never get it anywhere over 29MPG so my bottom line is that these appear to be a pretty good choice.

Oh, one more thing. These are probably the quietest tires that have EVER been on this truck including the prior set of "car tires" that were specifically design to deaden the sound to there is a positive there as well.
  • hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    Wow, mine is 2008 Highlander Hybrid but I never get that mileage even though I always check my tire pressure and put as manual says.

I always got around 23 miles per gallon and most of my commute is local.
  • polywogpolywog Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 limited Highlander and had to replace the passenger rear wheel bearing. The dealer was surprised at this also. I went back a few months later for an oil change and they said that they had three more come in with the same problem. Sounds like a common and expensive problem.
    How many miles was your wheel bearing issue? If 150K or so, replacement would be similar to other vehicles so not certain how much of an issue it would be if you trailer heavy or other factors as that would be common on other vehicles under similar use. Wheel bearings are hard or expensive to replace. I did the ones on my '79 celica by myself in a parking lot.

I also have not seen a lot of others with bearing problems on other forums or on this thread but perhaps I missed a post or two.
  • catcincatcin Member Posts: 3
    At that time I had under 50K miles.
  • gulfridergulfrider Member Posts: 6
    I've got a 06 2WD and live and drive in Fla. My first set of replacements were KH16 Kumho Solus and they now need replaced at less than 25k mi. Appreciate any suggestions.
    edited May 2012
    The suggestions are in the prior 738 messages or is 38 pages of recommendations not enough?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2012
    A dozen of the earlier posts were about the Kumho Solus and apparently they didn't last long enough in Florida conditions for this owner. Nothing wrong with asking for "fresher" info.
  • gulfridergulfrider Member Posts: 6
    Unlike some people I don't have the time to read 738 pages on a message board. The ones I did read all had negative comments about many different tires. I didn't see any one tire recommended. I also have a 2WD vehicle and don't drive in snow which most on here do. I thought I'd save some time if someone had a similar vehicle and a good tire experience. With board police like yourself this will be my last visit here.
  • darnyankeedarnyankee Member Posts: 6
    If you have 19" wheels ( 245/55R19) I have Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max with 12000 miles,wearing well ,quiet,handles well.Rarely drive in snow(central Va.) handles well on wet pavement.Ex upstate NYer who was very used to slippery pavement.
    Fuel max tires did not change mpg.
    You don't have to read the ENTIRE thread. All you had to do was look at the last two pages (or so) and you have specific recommendations (from myself and others). Seems to me like you are awfully lazy asking others to repeat what we have already posted in here. Sounds like you think you are "better than others" and should not have to read...like it's THAT hard. But rather you appear to think that it is the job of others to do the work for you...REALLY? I mean that IS what YOU wrote here, right?
  • ichlichl Member Posts: 3
    I need to replace tires for the first time for my 2010 highlander after 40,000 miles. Can someone please advise which ones to go for. After researching here for the tire size 245/55-19, I am leaning towards Bridgestone dueler h/l 422 ecopia. Do you guys think that's a prudent decision. Thanks for your time!
  • ichlichl Member Posts: 3
    Any suggestions on Highlander limited 245/55-19 tires purchase? Need to replace them soon.
    Thanks in advance!
  • mama2allymama2ally Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2012
    I just purchased my 2nd set (86,000). This time I went with a Yokohama. I've only had them a week, but they are super quiet and highly rated. I'll post more after winter driving this year.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor- +(H%26V)&partnum=455HR9ENV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
  • 400e400e Member Posts: 41
    I bought a set of Toyo H/T tires in this size about 3 years ago and have been very happy with treadwear and winter traction.

Much better on both counts from the factory Toyo A20s.

Stick with tires that are the same size as the factory tires (245/55-19).
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I got the Toyo H/T's and loved them. Good wear & good traction.
  • waldemarowaldemaro Member Posts: 1
    I just bought those tires, I've never heard of them before, what do you think about them, any comments?
  • whipper2679whipper2679 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

My tire options for my 2008 Highlander Limited are: 245/55/19

Firestone Destination LE2 $174.00 or
    Bridgestone, or Yokohama for $254.00 or
    Goodyear Assurance for $205.00

Any opinions or suggestions ?
    Thanks !!!
    My tire options for my 2008 Highlander Limited are: 245/55/19

Firestone Destination LE2 $174.00 or
    Bridgestone, or Yokohama for $254.00 or
    Goodyear Assurance for $205.00

Did you read posts 248 and 249 (and others), re: Toyo H/T tires?

These have great snow traction and treadwear - nothing like the stock Toyo ATs.
  • whipper2679whipper2679 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks !
    Toyo H/T tires seem good, but I am having trouble finding them in Louisiana.
    Don't really need them for snow and ice here...
    May have found one dealer...still trying...Thanks again !
  • mama2allymama2ally Member Posts: 23
    I currently have Yokohamas on my 2008 Highlander LTD. They handle very well in rain. Haven't had them through a winter yet, but they are very quiet and the best riding tires I've had on there: this is my 3rd set-grr. THe Bridgestones were the ones that came on my highlander and were almost bald in less than 30,000 MI. I went with an off-sized Hankook after that (couldn't get a tire in my size at that time) and they lasted longer(45,000), but when they started to wear out they went FAST!
    I got my Yokohamas at Discount Tire for right around $200, so you may want to shop around for those.
  • 2old2worry2old2worry Member Posts: 10
    I purchased the Firestone LE2 ($147 from tire-easy.com) and I am very satisfied so far (5000 miles). I replaced the Bridgestones at 25K and the Hankooks at 28K. Hankooks wore uneven, alignment problem. The LE2'S are quieter, smoother and I get better gas mileage.
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    I've had those TOYO H/T tires on my 2008 Limited for about 30K so far. As other posting noted, much better tire than the A20 stock tires that came on vehicle when new. Those were JUNK tires. At the time, these H/T tires were about the only option available in 19" and size for my vehicle so I went with them from Belle Tire in mid-Michigan. Rotate them every other oil change and Belle Tire rotates for free if you buy them at their store. I too, will be needing to replace them as Winter comes near and have Goodyear Assurance tires on past vehicle (a Pontiac Bonneville). They were good tires and rode well, quiet rolling tires, and good traction in the winter. Goodyear often-times has sales in the Fall of the year, so I will be checking into those in correct size for my Limited. Heard good things about the Hankook tires too, but forget which "type" or name of Hankook since they make several styles. Happy shopping.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    The original equipment Toyo tires on my 2011 Highlander Limited are crappy. All they seem to do is eat nails. I need a good replacement that doesn't eat the nails so easily.
    sorry to hear you are getting nailed with your Toyo tires. You have been nailed more than once I assure you; once for sure when you got the nice Highlander with Toyo Tires on it, and again when you run over so many nails. I too had the Toyo Open Country as OEM tires. When those were "shot" at 24,000 miles the only OEM option in correct size for Limited 19 inch wheels were another set of Toyo tires. This time I got the Open County H/T tires. To date, I have about 30,000 miles on them and shopping for new tires too. This model has been just o.k. Not stellar, but just ok.
    I see from other postings Goodyear has an Assurance model in 19 inch. I may go with these in the Fall before Michigan winter strikes and also watching for good rebate deals from manufacturer and/or tire stores. I had these tires on my wife's Pontiac Bonneville and was very happy with them for quiet ride - good fuel economy - good tread life - and good handling on wet and snowy roads.
    Other brands I have read about are Hankook.

Watch the sales and read within this thread other opinions. I for sure, would NOT go back with Toyo Tires.
    Stay away from those construction sites where they are putting up new roofs... and happy shopping. You will soon part with approximately $1,000 for 19 inch tires.
    Thanks, about the only thing positive I can say about Toyo is that they haven't gone flat. One tire has 3 nails in it, and I know the other tires each have at least one nail in it. I have had this vehicle for 17 months, only a little over 12000 miles. But it is so disconcerting to see all those nails in the tire and wonder....at what inconvenient point will it go flat. The one guy at Firestone looked at it and said they could not be fixed the way the nails were in the tread, and it would be better to leave the nails in than try to remove them. He did say he could order Toyo if I wanted them for replacements....Really don't want to go that route....

On another topic, do you or anyone here know if the 2011 Highlander Limited's TPMS is a tricky thing for non-dealers to work with if they put on the tires instead of Toyota. The owners manual makes me think it could be an issue in itself the thing about the computer recongnizing the TP valves by number. Maybe they could use the same valves in the new replacement tires?????
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    I'm having 4 Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred installed Monday morning on my 2010 Limited. A local Goodyear store is doing the entire job, including an alignment check, for very little more than just the tires and shipping from a big internet tire dealer. I thought the difference would more than the price of a couple of car washes.

I talked with the sales guy two different days and he knows more about Toyota TPMS than I do. Of course, this is a suburban store in a high rent location, so they probably see a steady stream of newer Toyotas. The written estimate listed 4 new valve stems for a total of $20 or so, and I asked about this charge vs. the much higher cost of new Toyota TPMS valves. This is their way of charging for dealing with the TPMS hassle.

Fwiw, I started out looking at the Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max model, but the TripleTred was rated a little higher and only cost a few dollars more.

We will see.

beachfish, aka john
    Thanks for the post on your Goodyear tires. I have 2008 Highlander Limited and also bought the same tires. I have some tread left on the Toyo tires currently on vehicle and have new ones in my garage until we get some winter type weather in Michigan. I've had good luck with the Assurance type of tires on past vehicle and they performed real well in snow/ice/wet roads and provided a comfortable, noise-free ride. Got mine at local Discount Tire Store and they honored Tirerack.com advertised price of 231.00 per tire. Got a rebate from Discount tire coming to me as well in form of Visa prepaid card for $100.00. Interesting comment about the valve stems. Discount tire wishes to install a TPMS rebuild kit for $22.00 for 4 wheels. I may have them install good valve stems like you suggest. Let me know how you like tires and thanks again for the post on these tires. Wish US luck.

Finally, a 19 inch tire that will hopefully provide trouble-free driving instead of those darn TOYO tires. Never again, but back then... "nobody" had a decent 19 inch tire being offered in correct size for Highlander Ltd.
  • 08hubb08hubb Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this site and looking for the best tire for my 2008 Limited Highlander. We had Toyo's at 1st, and they had no thred at 29,000 miles. We replaced them with Hankook's, and now need to replace them with only 20,000 miles on them. :mad: They wore abnormal. The inner 2 inches of each tire is bald. Toyota told me the alignment was good, and we had regular rotations and proper tire pressure. :confuse: We are looking at our options for different tires. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!
    Would recommend you go back through about the last 2-3 pages of this thread and you'll get some opinions about tire choices for your 2008 Limited.

I personally have had good luck with Toyo H/T tires.
    Greetings: Prior posting responses/comments are correct. Some have had good luck with Hankook but depends upon the model/style, I guess. Me, I have 2008 Limited and just purchased Goodyear Assurance CS version. Found the tires on Tirerack.com and my local tire shop (Discount Tire) honored the cheaper price per tire. Presently, I have TOYO Open Country H/T version with approx. 33k on them and they are ready to be changed out in preparation for Michigan Winter. Original TOYO tires (Open Country) were horrible on snow and ice and worn out at 24K. At the time, TOYO was only game in town having 19 inch tires, so I was kinda forced to buy another set but that time, I got the H/T version and they have been just so-so tires.
    I have had good luck with Goodyear Assurance tires on other vehicles on wet roads, snow roads and it appears they have favorable reviews. One past poster indicated he too was putting them on his Highlander. Stay away from Bridgestone Duelers -- too noisy, etc.
    Another good way to "review" tires, is go to local library and read the condensed version of Consumers Report Magazine, the 5x7 review book and make some informed decisions that way too. My Goodyear tires will be mounted on vehicle in early November and will let you know how they handle in the snow and rain. Might be too late for you though. Appears you need tires NOW versus later... Happy Shopping. Tire websites often have reviews of owners of various tires too. I've heard good stories about Michelin tires too, but not Hankook or Bridgestone or TOYO.
    As planned, I had 4 Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTreds installed on my '10 Limited this morning. I haven't driven it far, but so far I am very impressed with the handling, ride, noise, etc. I just retired the first of the month, so it takes a lot to make me any happier than I've been recently.

Leaving the suburban Goodyear store's location just off the Interstate required me to pull out into a right-turn lane on a major road, merge after the turn and then accelerate uphill while moving across 3 lanes to get over into the left-turn lane at the top of the hill and then make a u-turn at the light to go back down the hill to take the left at the light to get back to the looping righthand onto I-64 back to the interchange at I-95 where I get off. The paving blocks on Monument Avenue present a different sort of test when it comes to ride and handling, but the tires are very good.

The original tires had some tread left after 27k miles, but only in the center. The edges were rounded off somehow. ;)

So far so good on the new ones all the way around. And the black coffee was good and so was the magazine selection.

John
    Good deal and thanks for follow up on those tires...will be putting mine on in about one month...keep me posted as you drive about in your happy retirement years....Me too and love the freedom and ability to go tire shopping during the week instead of weekend...enjoy the black coffee, just don't spill any in that Highlander......will stay tuned for more feedback and trust I too, made good buying decision.....
  • only1eagleonly1eagle Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    John,

What Goodyear did you use and can you tell me what you paid? Im in Chesterfield and I have the EXACT same issue (Duellers wearing on the outside but center is still good)
    I am looking to replace ASAP as my wife just saw thread on one of the back tires.
    I like the reviews of the goodyear tripetreads and really want a longer lasting tire that is quiet! I dont get down to monument often but when I do I dont want to have it loud and to bumpy!

Chris
    I took a road trip to Harrisonburg on the 30th to visit my mother at the nursing home and wish her a happy 88th. I didn't notice the tires and that's good; they performed very well. It's 263 miles round trip and I've done it regularly (usually weekly) since 2/07.

I have no complaints at all about the tires or how the car handles. I drove back from Harrisonburg with the sunroof open and a couple of windows partially open and didn't notice any objectionable tire noise even with the stereo off, but I was doing 72 to 79 because 80 is reckless driving in VA.

I used the store at Gaskins and Broad. Four tires cost me $1020.43 plus $69 for the 4-wheel alignment I agreed to even though the free alignment check said it was borderline just within spec. I consider it insurance, and I don't mean road hazard. That figure includes everything from mounting, balancing and tax to disposal fees. And $4.90 for shop supplies, but that would be there no matter who you pay to put them on.

An on line place I checked would have been $948 plus $51 shipping for 4 tires. Of course, it can all change if there are rebates involved. There wasn't one on the TripleTreds when I bought my tires, but one on line dealer is now showing a $20/tire mail in rebate.

The local dealers know what the net stores are charging. I even went in with printouts. :)

John
  • vanyukonervanyukoner Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a set of 4 Goodyear Triple Treads in late June 2012, then drove our 2009 Highlander Ltd to the Yukon Territory of northern Canada, a 3400 mile round trip from Vancouver, BC. The tires had a chance to perform in virtually all conditions other than in snow. I was particularly impressed with the performance on muddy side roads. We drove at least 300 miles in these conditions, staying between the ditches all the way. The 4WD had to also show its stuff from time to time. I'm now waiting for winter here in Vancouver to see whether the tires can perform in the wet snow we often encounter.
    I ended up going back to the dealer for new tires. I got the Yokahama Avid Envigor 245/55/19...so far so good (about two months now). No new nails collected, lol. The tread looks more agressive on these than those pansy Toyos I had as original equip. And yes, it ended up costing me about $1,100.
    Greetings: Have you tried to look up tires in Consumer Reports Magazine to see what the ratings of this entity have to say about your tire selection? You can read the condensed version of most any item at local library in case you are not subscriber to Consumer Reports Magazine. Just as an FYI to you. Have read your items of most concern regarding tread life, etc. Falls into same categories as my recent purchase of Goodyear Triple Tred CS for my Highlander LTD -2008. Had these tires (Assurance) on a Pontiac Bonneville before I got the Highlander and they met all of my expectations as you noted in 1-2-3 above. However, for a tire to meet all of the stated items above, I doubt you will find them at less that $150.00 each. Maybe, if you watch local tire stores for rebates, etc. I got my tires from local tire shop in Michigan (Discount Tire) during Labor Day Weekend Sale plus they honored Tirerack.com price of 214.00 per tire. On top of that, Discount Tire Company had $100.00 rebate + $80.00 rebate from Goodyear Tire Company. So, at end of the day, I got 4 tires for $214 each (minus) -- $100.00 from Discount Tire (minus) $80.00 from Goodyear. Not too bad of a deal.
    Next would be these questions -- Do you drive in snow? How much longer do you plan to keep this vehicle?
    If you plan to keep vehicle, I would consider the tires to be a long-time investment in my a). safety b). handling and fuel efficiency (rolling resistance) and c). quiet ride. Other poster put the Goodyear tires on his Highlander and believe he too, has experienced same results. I have the Goodyears installed for about one month and so far, very satisfied. No snow driving yet, but plenty of RAIN in Michigan. So, consider the tires to be an investment in your driving enjoyment and safety...
    Happy motoring.
  • krb1krb1 Member Posts: 15
    I have TOYO tires Open Country A 20. They have close to 60,000 miles on them. I asked the dealer to change them before winter comes. The dealer refused stating that they still read at 6-7/32. I seriously doubt it. They look pretty worn out to me. I suppose to get "free" tires for life as long as I own the car (that's why the dealer part). My question is - is it really possible to still have this much tread on after 60,000 miles? I tried to purchase a tire tread gauge but could not find one. I do rotate the tires every 5,000 miles.
    When I took the car to an independent mechanic his gauge read 4/32 - big difference. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow, and need a strong argument. Please, help. Thank you.
    BTW, how much does it matter to measure the tread in the middle of the tire versus to the side? The sides are pretty low. :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Even 4/32nds may not be worn enough.

"According to most states' laws, tires are legally worn out when they have worn down to 2/32" of remaining tread depth." (TireRack)

TireRack also says "If rain and wet roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 4/32" of remaining tread depth." That link also shows you how to measure the tread depth.

If the dealer still balks, then you may want to write the owner a letter outlining your safety concerns.
  • gabbajgabbaj Member Posts: 1
    I have read most of these messages. I am trying to choose between 1. Yokohama YK580, 1 review I read of these said comfort, but not so great handling & CReport not too good. 2. Goodyear Assurance Comfy Tred, 3. Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred, both GYears had fairly high rating on Consumer Reports.

Any experience on these 3 choices would be appreciated. I am buying a new set soon. Live in Mid Texas region, so no snow.

Thanks