Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• bowtieheadachebowtieheadache Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tip.I am going to replace the guage cluster.Just to be thorough,I am going to have the starter and alt rebuilt.It just seems weird that I drove it all morning around town yesterday,and then it did it in the afternoon,thus the "dead at random"
    ??did you go to a dealer for the new cluster,was it OEM or aftermarket?
  • bandera1bandera1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with a new battery but intermittently will not start. No click, hum or nothing. It seems like the security interlocks are not all releasing; if this is possible. Sometimes I reset the remote, slam a door, lock/unlock a door or something similar and the thing will start. It may go days starting OK, but then it won't.
    Any ideas?
  • bowtieheadachebowtieheadache Member Posts: 3
    I do not have anything concrete yet.I am removing my remote start,replacing the guage cluster,all relays and rebuilding the starter and alternator.All of these seem to be involved based on postings I have seen.Unfortunatly my local dealers want to throw darts and see if they can find it.After I complete these repairs,I will post regularly with good or bad reports.Good luck
  • jogundejogunde Member Posts: 3
    22,000 mi parked pickup, restarted engine to move up 3', exited pickup. 5 min later tried to restart, turned key, would not start; dashboard lit up (battery etc.) and only item left lit after a few seconds was 'a picture of an engine'. HELP!!!! no previous problems, recently had mini tuneup 2 months ago.
  • cmacielcmaciel Member Posts: 1
    i had a few wires that got burned under the dash. they ranto the neutral and parking switch. i got a new switch and replaced it. the truck turns on but dosent start? what else could it be?
  • jogundejogunde Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem (see msg #55). I did alot of online research and then spend a few hours reading the manual. How I resolved my problem was to stand next to my 2003 silverado with remote in hand; hold down 'lock' and 'unlock' simultaneously for 15 seconds. my pickup started immediately. i must originally hit a door lock or something on the remote which prevented by vehicle from starting. all is well now
  • dynomuttdynomutt Member Posts: 4
    2002 Chevy C1500 4.3L V-6, auto trans, 2wd, reg cab, short bed (149,795 miles). Driver said it stalled on highway suddenly, but never had this problem before. Now it won't start and was towed to my shop. I do mostly high performance muscle car work, but am helping a friend on this one and I'm stumped.

So far, I've replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs; I think they were the original plugs! And I've verified over 55psi cranking fuel pressure at the fuel rail check port behind the throttle body.

It was delivered 2.5 qts low on oil, and the "Check engine oil level" light was on. I've added the correct amount of oil. There are no signs of external leakage, and the intake has a heavy costing of oil inside the plenum. It’s being sucked in from the PCV valve I’m assuming.

The truck's SES light has been on for a very long time judging from the electrical tape the owner put on the dash to cover it up!

My AutoXray CodeScout 2500 can't read the ECM. Says: "Not Connected" even though the plug is securely connected all the way in and the key is on. I've confirmed the correct operation of my scanner on my '05 F-350, so I know that it's not the problem.

There are only 5 pins in the OBDII connector under the dash of this ’02 truck. That doesn’t seem correct. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    GM trucks use J1850 VPW and should have contacts in 2,4,5 and 16 and the only difference with your Ford should be pin 10 which GM shouldn't have.

With a truck that abused it doesn't suprise me that the OBD-II won't function.
    obyone,

You're right about the J1850 VPW connector. Here's the layout:
    16=orange
    14=green
    5=black w/ white stripe
    4=black
    2=purple

Do you have any idea how to fix the OBD-II so I can read the computer?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Other than replacing the whole module I can't think of anyway to fix it. That would only eliminate the connection itself.

Have you tried testing the individual connectors for power with a voltmeter?

I understand you're doing this as a favor. That price of this favor is really high and I would consider it a favor if the guy took his truck somewhere else. Electrical problems are a pain cause they sometimes take way too long to troubleshoot. Course this may not help your situation.

Oh one last thing. Have you checked the fuses. If I'm not mistaken the OBDII is on a fused connection.
    I found out why the OBD-II port was not working. The cigarette lighter fuse also powers terminal #16 in the OBD-II port. I replaced the fuse and was able to scan the truck. But, no codes came up. Scanner says: "3 Readiness Monitors" Misfire, Fuel System, Comp Components. I have no idea what those are.

Thanks for you help so far.
    Mike
  • savagulyksavagulyk Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mike I have the same problem truck well start and idle for 1 minute the sputers then dies what was your problem
    thanks
    Leon
  • idagoidago Member Posts: 1
    Need some help. 2000 GMC 5.3 L sierra, I just ran a quick errand and when I got back into the pickup to leave, I turned the key and all I heard was a rapid clicking sound. Not sure if this is the starter or a relay or what. Any ideas??
    Hard to say with the clicking sound but it probably isn't a relay rather the battery or the starter. If it is the battery make sure you have the system tested with a load in case the battery was killed due to a bad alternator. Sometimes you can get a starter to work by banging on it with a hammer.
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    check the alternator
  • donthemandontheman Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Silverado that won't start. Several months ago I replaced the fuel pump, truck ran great. Check engine light came on weeks later, codes were P0440, P0446 & P0452. I was told the codes were not to important, so I did nothing which brings me to my current problem. Last weekend I had trouble starting the truck. It acted as if it wasn't getting gas but I got it cranked with it spitting & sputtering. I changed the in line fuel filter thinking it was clogged. That didn't make any difference. I talked with auto parts clerk who suggested it could be the air flow sensor and that I could spray carburator cleaner into the ??? & if it started then yes it was the sensor. I went home and tried it and behold it started. I live 20 miles from the closest auto parts, so I drovve back to town & got the part. Installed it but still won't stay cranked.
    I have no clue as to what else to check, any help would be great.
  • robert128robert128 Member Posts: 1
    OK - I have a 1996 Tahoe with the 350 with 175,000 miles and have had a similar problem? Randomly it chooses not to start although it turns over, gets gas, spark etc... I have had it into a shop and had the fuel pump replaced twice? 1st time it worked for a week then quit again so it was replaced and still did not work. Then, randomly, it will decide to start? The mechanic is stumped and checked all the normal things like fuel pressure, spark, yada, yada....

It then just began working again back in march and worked fine ever since until about a week ago when I went to start it on a Monday morning(sat 2 days) and it would not start? took the other car to work and that evening it started right up. Ran it for a while and shut it off and it started right up again. Left it overnight and it has not started since? It has gone from very dry to a lot of rain and humidity lately but other than that nothing else has changes. One other thing - if it is in the "Not Starting mode" the check engine light is on but as soon as it begins to work again the light goes off?

Help - I do not want it to go to the shop for another 2 weeks and not work any better than before. By the way, the truck has 175,000 miles, been well maintained and other than this issue runs great and has a clean bill of health per my mechanic who had it for 3 weeks and shook every wire back in March.

I am befuddled

Bob Urban
  • yamahogyamahog Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99 silverado,5.3.had problems starting in the pastso i came here.I changed the full pressure regulater and it was fine.The problems arose again so i changed it again oops did'nt help.filter is good,pressure seems good.can anyone give me a punchlist to check?new battery starter fuel filter,air filter the basics have been addressed.
    Change or clean the IAC lately?
  • lynn0335lynn0335 Member Posts: 4
    I have serched but didn't find the same problem i'm having so this is it.
    I have a 1997 gmc that will not start, I have 60psi fuel for the first two seconds or 50+ while trying to start. It will start and run if you put gas, starting fluid etc.. down the intake. but will not start back unless you do the same. It has not set a "check enging light" so I don't think it would have a code bit set.
    This is not the first time I have ran up on this problem, I had a similar problem with a 99 Tahoe. It would start then stall, most of the time while the air was damp. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Lynn Davis
    This could be a defective check valve in the fuel line which allows the gas to drain back to the gas tank.
    Thanks Obyone
    I'll do some more checking. I failed to mention that I removed the return line from the intake and installed a rubber hose in its place, cranked the engine over the press was 50+ psi but no gas out of the return line. That seems strange to me, I would have thought the pump would supply the gas then the regulator would let only what was needed go to the injectors and return the rest to the tank.
    Thanks
    Lynn
  • mcgregor45mcgregor45 Member Posts: 2
    Hey fellas, don't no if any of you can help but here's the problem. My 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4.3 L has a hard time starting after it has been sitting for a day for two. The first few times I noticed it I thought the battery was dying. It would take 3 - 4 tries to get the engine to turn over.

I've checked the spark, its good. I just put a new battery on and I know its getting fuel.

When I think it's just about to catch I release the key and it sputters for a bit before quiting.

Any ideas??
    There is a check valve in the fuel line. If the valve fails, it allows gas to drain back to the tank. If that's the case it would be hard starting till the fuel pump can pressurize the gas in the line. Usually takes up to 10 seconds. A good way to test this is when starting leave the key in the "on" position for 10-15 seconds. If your truck starts right away, you know the check valve is the problem.
    obyone
    I have made some more checks and found two codes P0118 coolant sensor high and P0122 throttle/pedal sensor low.
    I replaced the crank sensor, testing I had no 5vac. I do now but still will not crank unless you put some gas in the intake.
    Do you think the cam sensor could cause it not to start?
    Oh yea, I am using my spare key that is almost new. I was told if the key was worn it could be a security issue.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Lynn
    P0118- The ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor could have a bad connection; open ground or short between the sensor and the pcm; or a bad sensor. This could cause a no start condition; or start and run bad.

P0122- TPS sending signal too low voltage. Could be short to ground; not securely installed; or defective TPS. This normally would cause rough/low idle and/or stalling.

I think your best bet would be to check out the ECT first then the TPS since you have the codes and the ECT could cause a no start condition.

Hope this helps.
  • mcgregor45mcgregor45 Member Posts: 2
    changed the wires and plugs...starts like a dream now. thx
  • pbridgespbridges Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96' gmc sierra 1500 2wd. Has been left at the curb for about a month. Started it, drove to a store, could'nt start it later to leave. Replaced the fuel filter, dist. cap and rotor, coil has spark, engine turns, but will not start, even when key left on for awhile, then cranking for about 15 seconds. any ideas? no probs. other than this one. thanks,
    Thanks to all who posted to my problem.
    After chasing my tail for two weeks I installed a new fuel pump and filter. It starts right up.
    I don't understand why when the old pump showed 70psi when you first turned on the switch and would hole 50psi while running. Anyway, for any of you that may be having trouble like mind change the pump it doesn't cost that much.
    Thanks again.
    Lynn Davis
  • brokedown123brokedown123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy 3500 that only wants to start in the morning. When the engine is warms up it does not want to crank right away sometimes not at all. I have taken the truck to two different dealers and everything looks good on there computers. I'm not sure if it is electrical problem of fuel problem. I installed a new fuel filter thinking this could help but no luck. Can someone help me out?
  • 2001hd2001hd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GMC 1500HD that every now and then i will go out and get in it and it wont start.. it will not even crank over like it is going to start... i can hear the full pump kick on and all cluster lights come on.. Has anyone ever heard of this? i have heard that it could possibly be the starter?? Im lost and it is very annoying... Can anyone help??
    Thanks,
    Shaun
  • danamacdanamac Member Posts: 1
    How do you access the intank fuel pump and do you have to drop the tank....I am having the same problem with the truck just dying on me...I changed the spark plugs, the fuel filter and the air filter and still no luck with it starting. I can hear the fuel pump running but my problems seem to be the same as everyone else so I again need to know it the fuel pump and screen are the answer....and how do I get to it....Obyone, do you have any ideas??? Does anybody have any ideas? I need my truck----and I need it now....
  • pbridgespbridges Member Posts: 2
    had same prob on 96' gmc sierra, slid the bed back about 2ft after unbolting it(four on each side) and disconeccting two grounds, after that, piece of cake. make sure you replace wiring. usually what goes bad.
  • paul_27paul_27 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 sierra with onstar.In June the battery was stone dead on a Saturday morning. I boosted it and took it back to the dealer. They checked it and nothing showed. It has an active management alternator on it also. It is hard to get used not seeing the alternator charging all the time. I thought that was the problem but it checked out. On the last Saturday of September, the battery was dead again. The next day, I received my monthly onstar report. I checked my old emails and the last time the battery was dead was the day before the Sunday onstar report. As it turns out, the onstar diagnostic runs everything on your truck but the lights for six hours. If your active management alternator hasn't been charging the last time the truck was driven, your battery is stone dead after the diagnostics are transmitted. Supposedly, there is a GM bulletin on this problem, but what is the cure? Get the onstar disconnected? Anyone else have this problem with their 08 truck?
  • civicpilotcivicpilot Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, I have a '96 GMC Sierra. 5.7 liter. For the past month or two has been a little hard to start when the truck has been sitting for 5 or more hours. however the second it starts I can shut it right down and have no problem restarting. after leaving it for 5 days became impossible to start when cold without starting fluid. again the moment it starts I can shut it off and restart it immediatly with no hesitation. I replaced all plugs and wires, Battery, Fuel filter, to no avail. changed fuel pump yesterday and now it wont start at all. Pump is running and fuel is getting to the pressure check valve on the fuel rail.

PLEASE HELP!
    Thanks
    Dave :cry:
    Yes but sounds like the check valve has failed since it doesn't hold the pressure after 5 hours and thus the hard starting.
  • civicpilotcivicpilot Member Posts: 2
    you know I thought check valve, however, it didn't help at all when I leave the key on to run the fuel pump for a few moments. And since replacing the fuel pump I can't start it at all.
  • wheelman1952wheelman1952 Member Posts: 3
    my 1996 chevy van,just started this..right after it started raing.after the draught..we had a hot dry summer.i was parking it in the grass.now i park it on gravel.i have the crank trigger on the crank shaft.but it could be a sensor.and there are lots of them.to day.my van cranked in the rain.with the front end,parked on gravel drive way.im keeping the front out of the wet grass..thats all i know to do.i know it is not the fuel pump.
    There are only two things to check when there is a no start condition. That is spark and fuel. One of the two is lacking now to figure which.
  • chrisghchrisgh Member Posts: 2
    I own a 96 Silverado with a 305 engine 130,xxx miles. It has been running great until last week. I got in one morning and it would not start. I automatically thought it was the battery. but then I notice my lights and radio and all were working fine, plus when i would turn the key i could hear it hitting the starter. I went ahead and had the battery tested and it is fine. The truck will not start on its own but if I use another car to jump it, it still will not start. Im not sure what to check next? If anyone has any ideas that could help please let me know. :confuse:
  • 2001hd2001hd Member Posts: 2
    Hi, i have a 2001 1500HD with the 6.0 that was doing the same thing and it was my starter... just thought i would mention... i even had every dealer around run 150.00 worth of test on it before i found out my self it was the starter!!
    Try banging on the starter with a ball peen hammer and see if it will start.
  • jamnayjamnay Member Posts: 3
    having start problems has spark how do you locate and check pressure reg thx
    Fuel pumg regulator pressure?
  • Alvan08Alvan08 Member Posts: 1
    Mty 2000 gmc sierra 5.3 is harder start when it is warm. You have to crank on it a few times then it starts. Sometime if you give it alittle gas when you are cranking it it starts faster. once it starts it runs fine
    Sounds like a bad fuel regulator or check valve.
  • edwin4edwin4 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 2001 silverado 1500 and it wont start it turns over and fires and then dies right away i kept it started with starting fluid for a few seconds just to make sure it ran it did anybody got any suggestions
  • chucky3chucky3 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 gmc 1500 350 has stalled out every so often when comming to a stop for over a year and normally starts right back up. This time it won't start. Ive changed plugs and wires , cap and roter, and ignition control module. Turns over fast but won't even attempt to start. I know it has no spark but not sure if im getting fuel. I've tried starting fluid but still nothine. I was thinking maybe replace the ignition coil and distributer next??? Thanks
  • KablelynnKablelynn Member Posts: 1
    Driving and all sudden lost all power and died. Would turn over but not start. Had towed. All gauges light up but my fuel gauge went to empty and I had plenty of fuel when I was driving. Checked all fuses they seem to be fine. I will run test but wondered if anyone has any idea. Put a new fuel pump on about a year ago, and heater core connectors and other than u joints and brakes and keeping oil and filter change, I haven't had any problems. Does have alot of miles. Any ideas??? My check engine light did come on a day ago but went out. Kablelynn