Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Keep in mind those prices are list. I have never paid anywhere near list before for a GM vehicle. The Acura is another story.
  • fishman10fishman10 Member Posts: 1
    Just thinking out loud. Any thoughts? I have been somewhat seriously car shopping for over ten months and finally believe that I have narrowed down my choices. The third row is a necessity and a minivan is not an option (my wife hates them). I live in the Northwest so some type of 4 wheel drive is desireable. I should note that my mother is a retired GM employee so I get a price break if I go with "The General." Here is what I have narrowed my choices down to:

Buick Rendezvous - may be the perfect vehicle for the minivan demographic that hates minivans. I am however, a little disconcerted that pricing may be too high. I don't think that the Rendezvous should be over $30K, especially equipped with such a pedestrian motor (the competition all have 200+ HP). However, if Buick can offer the Rendezvous decently equipped for less than $27K, It will probably be my next car!

Chevy Tahoe - Modestly optioned, you can get one for about $30K, although I'd rather not go that high. I like the size, ride, power, and overall feeling of command over lesser mortals I feel while driving it. My wife thinks it's too big but I could probably talk her into it.

Suzuki XL-7 - I recently test drove one and was very impressed. The interior materials are a little cheap and the seating is a little lacking in legroom (regardless of configuration). I am 5'8" and I had the driver seat all the way back for a perfect fit. The 3rd row leg room is quite a compromise but, I would not use them often. Pricing is only about $23K so it is a contender.

2002 Trailblazer - I thought this was going to be THE ONE until I discovered that the 3rd row won't be available for another year...bummer!

2002 Explorer - Good interior design and execution. Gets expensive with quickly with minimal options. Questionable reliability.

Durango - See above. Cheap interior materials. Bad safety rating.

Mazda MPV - I like this car a lot, especially with the tan leather interior and wood trimmed dash. It is airy and bright, without being too big. Costs about $22K nicely loaded. Maybe if I show my wife a red one...
  • buzzbo99buzzbo99 Member Posts: 111
    My only turn-off with the 02 Trailblazer/Envoy they only will run on Super gasoline. Otherwise they would be my choice.
    Where did you read that it will only take premium gas? Just wondering.
  • gmdronegmdrone Member Posts: 78
    Sorry, I've been chasing warm sun for a few weeks, and I didn't take either laptop with me, BUT I've missed reading posts, especially on the Aztek board, I can't believe those people don't have any life.... Rendevous is in pilot now at Ramos, preliminary sources say it is going well, better than the Aztek, and that is good news for Buick! Envoy third seat, unfortunately is going to be somewhat of a joke, similar to third row in Rendevous, only amputees and small children should apply, as I haven't discovered where the designers want you to put your feet! (I'm 6'2"). As far as the Envoy/Trailblazer requiring premium fuel for the new in-line six, I find that one difficult to swallow, unless my cohorts at Powertrain have completely lost their crainial functions!
    I have read so many articals it is difficult for me to remember. I think it was on the brochure that GM is sending out on the new 2002 Envoy. I do not have the brochure anymore, but I will keep looking through the other things when I get time.

Gmdrone, you have the best source of direct information. Let us know if I am mixed up. If I am I will put the Envoy back into the equation.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Silverados are built in

Fort wayne indiana (where mine was built and my home state)
    Michigan
    Canada

None are built in mexico

Ryan
    I have read so many articals it is difficult for me to remember. I think it was on the brochure that GM is sending out on the new 2002 Envoy. I do not have the brochure anymore, but I will keep looking through the other things when I get time.

Gmdrone, you have the best source of direct information. Let us know if I am mixed up. If I am I will put the Envoy back into the equation.
    Where ever I read the fuel millage on the Envoy it said premium unleaded beside the figures. I was sure of my facts but under close scrutany I must stand corrected.

Now I read the engine allows the use of regular unleaded gasoline and less frequent oil changes.

check out http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/000811-3htm
    Sorry about that. Keep me straight.

Gmdrone, you don't have to bother your frinds.
    buzz: I'm glad to hear that. GM is very good at producing high tech engines that don't need premium fuel. The DOHC 3.5L in my Intrigue uses regular fuel and has a timing chain as opposed to a belt so much less in the way cost to run and maintain.
  • gmtechgruntgmtechgrunt Member Posts: 2
    I also work for GM. in Warren as a "demented Engineer". I have been trying to follow the Rendezvous build from Mich. Your insight is much appreciated. I have been shopping for either a tahoe or rendezvous as my next vehicle, to replace my 99 tahoe. Do you know when production is slated to start? dealers up here give me the same old line " we will put your name on a list"
    I have been trying to contact other people that are probably in your same group, still waiting for a call back. Thanks again.
    I must admit that I am also a "Demented Engineer" , currently working the 256, and just finished up on the 257! I'm told by relaible sources that production will begin next month, however that may change depending on the sucess/failure of the 250. I'm willing to bet that Ramos can't wait to get the green light! I wouldn't mind buying one of the 257 myself. It is almost a dead ringer for the RS 300, and yet it is about 10K less money! I wouldn't bother with the third seat, though, unless I had a couple of rugrats to stow back there. I tried to get in one over at prototype, and I honestly couldn't get the second seat to latch back dow, without crushing my steel toe boots!
    I spotted a Rendezvous on the highway 401 near Toronto. Looked pretty good, but I couldn't keep up with the guy through rush hour traffic so it was only a glance. Auto Show only a few weeks away. Can't wait to see one up close. I really hop GM doesn't price these things out of my range.
  • gmtechgruntgmtechgrunt Member Posts: 2
    Just returned from the Detroit auto show, and had a good chance to review one up close and one up on a rotating platform. Visually worlds different in the two vehicles, hopefully the poor one was a early pilot build, and the better one a later build. Weak points were very bad exterior gaps (very bad at head light to hood), trim falling off etc..
    the "good" one looked much better though, and crowd response seemed very favorable, largest crowd with the exception of maybe the envoy display. Sign posted price as nicely equipped for about 30,000
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    I just saw the Randezvous at the Baltimroe Auto Show and I was not impressed.

I don't know, it just seems like a mismatch of design characteristics and the interior looked rather bland.

And, the price range the rep quoted was 28-34K. Ouch!
    Auto show here in Toronto is in a couple of weeks. Although list is $28K, I'll bet they will be selling for around $24K before long. Rendezvous doesn't look like it will be my first choice, but it's definitely in the running.
    The Aztek isn't selling well, so Buick will be boosting production of the Rendezvous to around 60,000/ year. This may be good news for prices as supply should be good.
  • lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    Found on another board that Rendezvous pricing will start at aprox. $25500. Undercutting the Acura and Lexus by about 6 grand.
  • warrenw48warrenw48 Member Posts: 21
    The GM site www.gm.com, go to news releases. The Versa Trac will start at 28,500 and the CX, 2 wheel drive is as stated above 25,500. The article doesn't really give alot of details but Buick I think knows it is entering a tough market at a bad economic time and wants to challenge quickly, IMHO.
    $25500 as a list is not bad. One can probably bargain down a couple of thousand, giving the base a mid $23K price. I think it's a great mini van alternative.
  • kissfan1kissfan1 Member Posts: 283
    Met another AZTEK owner at GYM tonight. We are both astounded at the apparent quality of this vehicle.

You made reference to the QUALITY put into this vehicle. Could you elaborate?

Happy AZTEK owner

Rendezvous could be wifes VEHICLE!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Received a promotional e-mail from Buick to "pre-order" a Rendezvous. My local dealer doesn't know anything about it and has no ability to order the car yet. The promotion is a little vague about options included in the packages. It implies that the Versatility package includes the center console and 3rd row seat, but they don't appear in the options breakdown page. Here are the "pre-sell" details:

Base CX - $25,500 (AM/FM/CD 4 spkr stereo, fog lamps, black power mirrors, power windows, side airbags, remote keyless entry, deep tint rear windows, cruise control, leather steering wheel, cargo cover and net)

CX Versatility - $27,480 (uplevel cloth, 6 way power driver seat, tire inflation monitor, garage opener, traction control, driver information center)

CXL Premium Versatility - $32,400 (Versatrak AWD, 3rd row seat, body color mirrors, ONSTAR, ultrasonic rear parking assist, 16" alloys, leather seats, AM/FM/CD/Cass 8 spkr stereo, rear audio controls, dual electronic HVAC)

CXL Luxury - $35,152 (Storage system, head-up display, 16" chrome wheels, sunroof, heated seats)

No specifics on individual option prices. I like the Base CX with 3rd row, alloys, and traction control (everything else is just fluff to me)...I'm guessing just under $27,000.
    The base CX looks to be what we would be getting if I like the Rendezvous. Great value and I think that price includes freight. Does it say anything about the wheels, rims?
    Yes, the CX Base and Versatility come with 16" steel wheels (presumably with plastic covers). Destination is not included and should be $550. Also, after reviewing the information, I do believe that the Versatility Package includes the 3rd row seat and center console. I think you get a lot for your $2,000 with the Versatility Package...just add a few hundred $ for alloys and you've got a luxury equipped ride for under $28K.
    When I talked to my local dealer, the salesman told me the destination charge was included in the $32,402 promotional price for the premium versitility package. I did not ask about the other two levels. Let me know if he was wrong.
  • cfg1cfg1 Member Posts: 85
    Looking at the options posted, it looks like you can't get 4WD unless you get leather seats. Is that true?
    It is my understanding that these early order packages are either standard features, package 1SD or 1SA which is the premium and luxury. According to my local dealer his firs allocated Rendezvous will arrive in April. He was able to place my order last Tuesday. We tried last Friday and it would not work. He called me Tuesday and said it went through and it was something he was doing wrong causing it not to work in the first place. Anyway we will now see if the per-order really means anything or not. He does not know when it will come. After all the dealers get an allotment round you can probably get one any way you want it. I got the mid level because it had the most features I wanted, especially the towing package. Even if I never pull anything I like the larger radiator, transmission cooler and oil cooler.

Anyway t hats about all I know.
    Is there any benefit to pre-ordering? Are they waiving the destination charge if you order now or will these prices always include destination? I would be willing to pre-order a Rendezvous if I had the options and prices clearly outlined but so far, my local dealer has no information and, as far as he knows, he cannot order the car yet. I'm inclined to just wait a few months until I can test drive one and see what the colors look like in person, unless there was some incentive to order now...
    I am in an unusual situation where I overdue to trade waiting on this vehicle and knew the dealership which I wanted. My wife has owned several Buick's and the service from the dealer has be above any other that I have dealt with. I drove the Aztek in order to get a feel for what the Rendezvous would be like and decided I did like. "Too bad the Aztek looks like a cockroach" Also the dealer told me if I did not like it when it came in they felt they could sell it to someone else so they did not even ask for a deposit. If you wait a few months I am sure there will be incentives because the overall car market is soft and the competition is very fierce. I just did not have the months to wait.

That's my situation and I'm stuck with it.
    Let us know how you like the Rendezvous when you get it.
    I went to a local Buick dealer yesterday and got all the info. Packages and prices. First, you choose between two models, FWD or AWD. The FWD starts at $25,470 and the AWD at $28,027. Then you choose option packages such as 1SB, 1SC, etc. The packages are different between the two vehicles (the FWD 1SC is different (and cheaper)than the AWD 1SC, and so on)

The CXL designation is only acquired by ordering an AWD vehicle with package 1SC or above (AWD 1SC is $28,027 + $3800). Anything below that model (both AWD and FWD) is a CX. I don't think the CXL ($32K) competes with the Acura MDX ($34K). Personally, I don't want the added weight and complexity of AWD...and the FWD includes traction control. For me, the way to go is FWD CX Versatility. It is designated FWD 1SC ($25,470 + $1980) and includes the base options plus traction control, 3rd row seat, 16" alloy wheels, 6-way power driver seat, overhead console, driver info center, tire pressure monitor, universal garage opener, cargo mat, up level cloth trim.

I'm disappointed that you're stuck with "Storm Grey" for lower exterior color unless you spend $32,000 for a CXL...I was looking forward to the "Eddie Bauer" look. Oh well, I guess it's worth saving $4500.
  • kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    My mom and dad just ordered the CXL Luxury and our waiting for deleivery sometime in the spring. I wanted to know is it anything like my ML. They own a 2002 Cadillac SUV and are tradeing in their Oldsmobile Bravada. Any coments
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Fedlawman, did you get a price for this option? Does base price of 25470 include freight? Thanks.
    Saw and sat in the 2002 Rendezvous at the Toronto Auto Show yesterday and was VERY impressed. This is a very luxurious vehicle with tons of space, more than I thought. Rendezvous is much bigger than it seems in the pictures you see in magazines. Base price here in Canada is around $33,400 CDN. Not bad, and definitely in my price range. It will likely be on the top 5 shopping list for next year. It's amazing this thing is related to the Aztek, because it's very hard to compare them.
    No I did not. I don't think so.
    Does anyone know if Rendezvous' are being produced past the prototypes yet. At one time I thought the target date for first production was March 1st.
    Rendevous are rolling doen the line now in Ramos, Pilot is wrapping up, SSV was Friday, to the best of my knowledge...
    Thanks. I guess I am just getting a little anxious and the dealership does not know much.
    I find it's pretty usual that dealerships of all makes seem to be in the dark about new models (or even the models they are trying to sell you). Kind of sad.

Glad to hear Rendezvous is on the way. I am really looking forward to testing one out.
    Dealers typically know everything that is written about a vehicle, but they seldom know what is really going on, because the company feeds them info very much like the public. They just think they have the inside line...

I was in Pontiac this morning for a meeting, and I see they are now releasing Rendevous into the captive vehicle fleet (PEP). I've got a few friends there who will fill me in on the vehicle. I will let you guys know as soon as they have some input. My cohorts down in Ramos insist that it is going together better than the Aztec, and that one DID go together well, still can't say anything bad about it, other than it sure is ugly!

Regards,

MAK
    I just called my salesman. He said that he got word the dealership demo model will arrive before mine does. The first one they will receive will be the premium model and I ordered the luxury package. And again he did not know when either are scheduled. I guess I am just a little over anxious because past the time I intended to trade.

By the way I drove an Aztec when they first came out and found it to be a quite well built "tight" automobile. I would comment on the looks but I hate to kick a car when it's down. My wife has driven Buick's for years and never had a lemon. Even though there is nothing new about it like the in-line 6 and air suspension I expect this nice machine and I hope Buick does well with it.
    What did you order??
    I ordered the Luxury package which is the middle of the three levels. I especially wanted the towing package which includes larger radiator, transmission and oil cooler. I ordered the Light Driftwood with Dark Bronzmist bottom accent and Dark Oak interior.
    Sounds good. Is this a 4WD version?

Even though I live in a snowy area, I think I will go for a 2WD version. I just don't see any need for 4WD for where I drive.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    I live in the South where it almost never snows and very rarely go off pavement. But one time a few years ago I rented a Dodge van in Colorado and it had 4 wheel drive. I was impressed with the handling and "surefootedness" of the vehicle. I actually do not know if it is the fact of 4 wheel drive or the added bottom weight. I wanted the CXL and it only comes with Versatrak so I thought I would give it a try. Granted if Versatrak were an option I would not have gotten it, but since it is part of the package I am kind of anxious to see what it is like. Also I according to published milage estimates it will cost me 2 miles per gallon, but also touts Versatrak as being light weight. So I am curious whether it will actually take that much extra gas.

Has anyone seen a Rendezvous with cloth interior? I was wondering how the Buick emblem looked. The Aztec "tiger stripe" cloth is a little too much for my taste and I cannot imagine Buick following suit.
    Cloth seats in Rendevous are much more tasteful than Aztek. Leather is actually soft, with firm seats. I got a package in the mail yesterday from Buick inviting me to put in for one of the first 5000 Rendevous being built, for delivery around August the 1st, I believe. Did you ever sign up for the information from their web site? One of my customers (outside the car biz) had the same package in his office the other day. He signed up for the info about a year ago, as did I. We've both been getting mailings about every 2-3 months.

Seats have the Buick Tri-shield embroidered in the middle of the backrests. You don't like the tutti-frutti cloth in the Aztek? I don't either, but it sure hides stains well, you can't see where I spilled my chocolate shake, coffee, etc. I won't have to clean it up when I turn this one over! (just kidding)!!

Regards,

MAK
  • carzzz1carzzz1 Member Posts: 1
    I just saw the car at the local Auto Show, and both they and my local dealer were talking May/June. Does anyone have any hard info?

Also, has anyone seen any invoice (vs. MSRP) pricing info on the web? No one, including Edmunds, appears to have it yet.
    Any ETA on the Rendezvous hitting showrooms? I will get on the mailing list, not a bad idea.
    I got on the Rendezvous mailing list from the web site a very long time ago and have received the cards and sent back their questionnaires. That is how I got the PIN number to order one. Like you said, the letter said before August if ordered before April 28th. I ordered mine as soon as I got the pin number and I cannot remember when that was. I fugure about 3 weeks ago. Anyway my dealership said they were scheduled to get their first one in April. They have no idea when mine will come in. I am waiting to see if the mailing list is an asset or just a marketing gimmick. Like I said in an earlier post, I am overdue to trade. Otherwise I feel there will be incentives in a few months.

I am also trying to get GMcard to let me know what the redemption allowance is for the vehicle. But have run into a brick wall. If anyone hears anything on that subject, let me know.