Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

Comments

• sparky101sparky101 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I never heard back from Sara at GM Customer Service about my code P0304, so I bought some new plugs for my 2009 Aveo5. The plug that had been in cylinder #4 had a hairline fracture in the ceramic. I've only seen something like this once before, but it is easy to detect as it left a black flair at the crack. I gapped the new plugs at the standard .44, installed them and put the coil-over back in place. The car runs like new (39-40 MPG to and from work). The next day I got my notice from GM of a "voluntary recall." At a minimum, it includes new improved rubber boots on the coil-over, and a different range spark plug with a smaller gap. I'm assuming the new GM part is a colder range plug, and I'm amazed that they have a considerably smaller gap (to run cooler? to put less stress on the coils?). I will probably put my old plugs back in, get the code, and take it to my dealer for the recall so I get the redesigned, re-engineered parts. I noticed two additional things 1. the Aveo plugs now get changed every 25,000 miles, and 2. the cam belt gets changed at 100,000 (this belt used to cause all kinds of motor damage and was to be changed at 60,000 miles - so this has been improved also). Loving my little Chevys (I have a 2005 hatchback also).
  • blk07aveoblk07aveo Member Posts: 4
  • rbrtwbrwnrbrtwbrwn Member Posts: 1
    Thank you, ecotec. My 2010 Aveo owner's manual seems desinged to purposefully keep me in the dark about how to change the oil and filter. Their engine and then manual designs could not be that owner unfriendly by accident.
  • sadaveoownersadaveoowner Member Posts: 3
    My 2009 Chevy Aveo, I start the car and it starts and then shuts off? I restart and struggles to stay on but usually does, sometimes I have to step on the gas to rev RPM's for a few and then is running fine. Of course I have taken it in I have 18,860 KM on this vehicle spent my entire savings to buy it brand new in 2009. They keep telling me that everything is fine the there are no issues showing on the diagnostic. Well there is a problem. Happens when the weather out side is chilly and winter is right around the corner and I am sure will have major problems. I have to say the dealership has been wonderful however this needs to be found. Also New Struts going on in couple of days, for goodness sakes I have barley driven the darn thing and this clunking I have been hearing for 2 years is the Struts, I am in shock. I can not afford this and need help really bad any suggestions?? The dealership is great and is doing my struts on good faith due to the very low KM and I am so appreciative but come on I can not afford another car or repairs, like I said I spent my life saving working 2 jobs.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon sadaveoowner,

As you're using kilometers as your unit of measure, am I correct in guessing that you're writing from Canada? If you would like to speak with Customer Assistance, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST). I hope you're able to reach a speedy resolution!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah, Yes I am in Canada and I thank you for the information you have provided. I have an appointment tomorrow with the GM dealer in Terrace British Columbia, Canada. This site is amazing and have learned what may be by myself researching. Like I said the dealership has been Wonderful!! If we can not find a resolution to the problem I will use your contact information. Have a great day!
  • migrodrimigrodri Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    My wife is having the same problem of the car accelerating on its own after having her timing belt replaced. It does not do it all the time and the dealership can't seem to figure out what the problem is. We have taken it back four times. It works for a couple days then all of a sudden we will be at a stop and it will rev as if it is trying to go forward. It also sometimes does it when we put it in park. Then its fine for a few days then it does it again.
    We're sorry to hear that this engine concern you're having with your Aveo is so difficult to track down. If we can look into this further for you, please email us the following information at socialmediagm.com: your name and Edmunds username, your phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• brianerlandsonbrianerlandson Member Posts: 2
    Did the recall for the emission help with this problem?

Reason for This Recall: General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary Emissions Recall involving all 2009 model year Chevrolet Aveo vehicles equipped with a 1.6L gas engine. A degraded connection between the spark plug boots on the ignition coil assembly and the spark plugs may cause the illumination of the Check Engine Soon light, rough engine operation, and lack of engine power.

What Will Be Done: Your Chevrolet dealer will install new spark plug boots and spark plugs. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

What Should You Do: Please contact your Chevrolet dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service date and to assure part availability. Instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know much time will be needed to schedule, process, and repair your vehicle.

The new GM spark plug number and new spark plug gap are listed below. Please update your owners manual or place this letter in your owners manual for future reference.
  • cokerjanetcokerjanet Member Posts: 1
    The Chevy Aveo apparantly uses surplus engines from years past to produce the cheapest car possible. This is the only explanation I can come up with for engines that are out of production and the fact that they have so many problems. I am currently rebuilding my nieces' engine from a 2004. The car is exquiusite. No flaws on the interior, the engine looks like you could eat off it. She had it for 6 months and it blew. She is 20 years old and in the reserves. Serving her country in the National Guard and has a car that leaves her stranded. It is a Daiwoo engine that is out of production. Anyway, the machine shop we took the head to says they are famous for this. The plastic housing on the thermostat cracked and the car ran hot, warping the head. We had to have a valve job, new valve seats and gaskets. Haven't put it back together , yet, but we will definitely replace the water pump, the timing belt, the tensioners and anything else we think were compramised before we try to fire it up again. This is the worst engine ever. Make sure you have the timing right if you are in the same position, or else you will be pulling the head back off. This is the worst car ever. I have never been a Chevy fan, and seriously would not be working on this if it wasnMt my nieces' car. Chevy should be ashamed to call themselves Americans.
  • marq123marq123 Member Posts: 1
    My dash lights and clock had long been gone then, My tail lights wouldn't flare at night on my 2005 aveo. I had new fuses put in fuse box to correct the problems and now it's burned out leaving me with no sensor activity from my fuel pump, So my car won't start. All within 3 hours of the repair.
    Hello marq123,

If your dealership had performed the repair you mention in your post, we're happy to follow up on this with them. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with further details (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• cdawgicuscdawgicus Member Posts: 1
    Holy Smokes Batman! How much money do you think you've put into this car? I was thinking about buying a 2008 for about 4 grand with only 80,000 miles on it. I don't know now- this forum has me scared. I already knew Consumer reports is down on the AVeo- but I thought if I bought a one-owner that had been cared for- maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I did have a Daewoo made Pontiac Lemans in the 90's that was nice- but pure junk. Sounds like the AVeo may be similar.
  • barb115227barb115227 Member Posts: 1
    i been having the same problems with my 2004 chevy aveo since may of 2012.everything i have read about this car is happening with my at only 42,000 miles on it.an the gm company has told me the same thing,they can not an will not help.i think some one should start a class action civil suit against them about these cars no matter what the year is.if any one does PLEASE let me know cause i am saving everything i find on the internet about these cars in my favors an then printing them all out.right now i have a 5,000 ton paper weight sitting in a drive way, which if i move it i risk a head gasket over an engine which i do not have 3,000 dollars to replace an engine. AN GENERAL MOTORS REFUSES ANY TYPE OF FINACIAL ASST. in helping any one.an i have stuck all most 2,000 dollars into my all ready.can not afford this repair.thanks,barb
  • 04aveo_regret04aveo_regret Member Posts: 1
    Within days of getting a 2004 Chevy Aveo w/manual transmission, the Coil Pack failed. A few days later and only around 55,000 miles, the timing belt snapped causing all my valves to be destroyed. Now approaching 90k, I have a whole new problem. I got a bad O2 sensor code. Within days, the car was reving and accelerating at random on the freeway. I replaced the O2 sensor immediately, and now the codes are gone but the car won't idle in the morning and after about 15 minutes of driving stalls every time the clutch is depressed. I saw multiple notices on this same group of problems. Does anyone know how to check if my car was ever updated or have a reliable solution before I dump the thousands of dollars it sounds like some of you did? Thanks in advance.
  • mario1121mario1121 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my 2009 Chevy Aveo when it suddenly dropped speed from 45mph to 20mph. No matter how hard I pressed on the accelerator my Aveo wouldn't go past 20mph. I then noticed the engine light was on. Then while idling at a red light, my Aveo began revving and wanted to shoot forward. But when I proceeded to drive again it's speed stayed at 20mph. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership and I explained my problem to the service writer. A few hours later I received a call informing me that my vehicle problem was the power harness but I think they meant the chassis harness. The cost would be $1300 to replace. Now I'm reading about the GM recall on the 2009 Aveo which calls for the installation of new spark plug boots and spark plugs; a degraded connection between the spark plug boots on the ignition coil assembly and the spark plugs may cause the illumination of the Check Engine Light, rough engine operation, and lack of engine power. It sounds a lot like my problem. So if it is, why am I being told something completely different and being charged?
  • ejelninoejelnino Member Posts: 2
    Lol nice I am not sure they know what is wrong with these which is why I was happy to get rid of mine and traded it in site unseen to the dealer and still received excellent blue book price on it with the issues it had. I did the spark plugs on mine and it still did not correct the problems i was having.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mario1121,

If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• rrollorrollo Member Posts: 4
    Hi Brian, this was completed and did not fix the problem. Well a few months have gone by and now I am having a rotten egg smell from the car. I have searched on the internet and it seems to be the Catalytic converter which from what I read from Sarah GM Customer service on the site I was looking on says it may be under the emissions warranty, I am hoping so. I still have the start issue and rough engine. I only have 20,000KM on the car so now I guess I have to back. I think they thought I was insane ahahhaa
  • unpleasedchevyunpleasedchevy Member Posts: 1
    Absoloutely unacceptable is all I can say. I'm in tears literally..just got off work pulled off noticed my 2008 Aveo Ls sputtered or hesistated a bit. I thought to myself it's due to the cold as I hit the expressway my engine started to rev( as if I was in Neutral and pressing the gas) but the car was not going any faster and seem as if it was starting to stall. Terrified I pulled over to the shoulder place my car in parked and then in drive, my car would not move. IN THE MIDST OF RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC IN CHICAGO MY CAR IS STALLING AND NOT SHIFTING INTO GEARS READILY. I'm just confused my oil levels are fine gas is in the car WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??? I purchased this car in trusting that CHEVY IS A RELIABLE AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT THAT I WILL GET ME BACK AND FORTH FROM WORK AT NIGHTS IN NURSING SCHOOL...HOW DIASSAPPOINTED I AM. WHAT COULD THIS BE ANYONE??? IT IS AN AWFULL SHAME THE PROBLEMS CONSUMERS ARE HAVING AND NOTHING IS BEING DONE BY CHEVY TO MAKE AMENDS AND REESTABLISH TRUST FOR CONSUMERS IN THEIR BRAND. I'm encouraging all persons that I previously encourage to look into getting a chevy STOPPPPP IM MAKING A YOUTUBE CHANNEL DEDICATED TO INFORMING OTHERS OF THE DANGERS THAT LAY AHEAD STEER CLEAR FROM CHEVY SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!! I HAVE NO ONE TO RELY UPON FOR TRANSPORTATION AND IM LEFT IN A BIND HOPING THAT THE WORSE CASE SCENARIO IS NOT TRUE AND YET I STILL HAVE TO PAY MY CAR NOTE SMHHHH TELL ALL DO NOT AT ALL WASTE YOUR MONEY STEER CLEAR AVOID THE HEADACHE HEARTACHE AND STRESSSSSSSSSS
    unpleasedchevy,
    We're sorry to hear about this situation out on the highway and are glad that you're okay. What are your plans to get this checked into? Please let us know if there is anything we can assist with - we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • meshell55meshell55 Member Posts: 6
    Oh my! I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma! My car had been acting crazy too. When I took it in to the dealer I found out there was a recall on the spark plugs and wiring related to it. They fixed it with no charge as it was a recall & the car has been running good ever since! Mine was a 2009. I hope the information helps. Good luck!
  • 04dead84k04dead84k Member Posts: 1
    On my way home on the interstate my 04 chevy aveo was not accelerating and seemed to be losing power. I got over the shoulder just before being rear ended. I had it towed and the news wasn't good. And now I find that the timing belt going is a huge problem on the 04-07 aveo. My car is dead at 84,000 miles. The shop said they could try to fix the timing belt and water pump to see if engine works, but its quite possible it won't and they would delve deeper for $2000 then to see if valves are bent or head is cracked and it might just need a new engine at 84k. I cannot believe that there are so many with this problem and we weren't informed. I am telling everyone I know to regularly google their car for problems and informing others of this problem and will be contacting the company. More should have been done! Is there a place where this information is tracked to find out how bad this problem has been???
  • red2004aveored2004aveo Member Posts: 1
    Sarah,

I just bought a used 2004 Aveo on Monday. I drove it to and from work every day this week. Each morning and each afternoon when I crank it up it revs up a little high for a few seconds, I start driving and it shifts through the gears fine. Then, after about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile the check engine light and hold light comes on. Then, the hold light starts flashing. Then, I come to a stop at the first stop. Then, when I start going again it won't shift into high gear. All this time the hold light is still blinking. After about 5 minutes the hold light will go out and it will finally shift out normally. What is wrong with it?

last 8 of the vin# is 4B171427

Jack
  • othermotherothermother Member Posts: 1
    My step daughter also bought a band new Aveo 2009 same problems has almost got her and her young daughter killed by losing power on a 65mph road. The car has been in the shop several times since she bought it and never fixed. The car will run right for a few months than back to being a death trap. My husband and I have always owned Chevys so when she was looking to buy a new car we told her get a Chevy boy did she get a lemon. No one will give her any help with this. The car is a lemon she is a single parent working full time and going to school can't afford another car. Where should she turn? I had hoped the dealership where she bought it would have done the right thing and replaced car they did not. Contacted Chevy headquarters asked them to do to do right they did not.
    Hi there,

Has your step-daughter spoken with anyone in GM Customer Service about her repeated vehicle issues?

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Did she ask about the spark plug recall? That's what was wrong with mine. It did what your daughters was doing! They changed the plugs & wires because they were the wrong size! You HAVE to go to a dealer though. Didn't cost me a thing & it's been running beautifully ever since!!! It's been over a year now. My car is is a 2009 too. Good luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi Amber,

This member indicated to me that she is attempting to contact you via the email address in your profile.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi kristie

Thanks for the heads up. What was the member's name? I just want to make sure I have reached out to the correct person.

Thanks!

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Member name:othermother

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mechanicmom1mechanicmom1 Member Posts: 3
    In 2011 my husband came home with a yellow 2010 chevy aveo. I was pregnant at the time, so needless to say, I was over emotional about how much I disliked the car at first sight. However, after the short amount of time we have owned this car, it has proven that was the appropriate response. After a long list of nickel and dime repairs, one stands out as the frosting on the cake. Last summer, it started running rough. Our kind neighbor had a code reader and kindly ran a diagnostic on it for us. Cylinder 3 was misfiring. Simple fix, change the spark plugs. My husband works 3rd shift, so he took the baby to bed for a nap so I could change the plugs. Not a big deal, I grew up in the garage. After changing the plugs I took it for a test run and it seemed to run perfectly. Now, the same problem pops up again. WTF!? Ok, so maybe I bought bad plugs. So this time around, I upgrade. Absolutely no change. It eats more gas than my Yukon and runs rougher than our garage sale lawn mower. The error code is P0303. The problem is it needs a new coil pack, and probably has since last year. So, in running almost a year on a faulty coil pack, now we also need a new bank 2 O2 sensor. Oh yay. I have too much time and money on my hands, why not? After reading up on all of this, this is almost a guaranteed problem with all aveo's. Do not buy unless they are throwing in at least 2 extra coil packs with the purchase agreement. If chevy has any professional integrity, they will recall this vehicle with all it's mechanical issues and safety concerns and fire the engineer in charge of designing the ignition coil packs. And maybe a company proud to call its cars "made in America" will actually make them in America after this chevy-dae woo disaster. :lemon:
  • puskul79puskul79 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Hi Sara, i'm having the same issue.

VIN# KL1TD56E79B645027

chevy aveo 2009 LT 34,000 Miles

Any recalls on my car?!
    Copy & paste in your address bar- Check it out:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/recall-notice-2009-aveos-13419/
    Well now, looky looky! Wonder if this will help us out? Worth a shot!

2010 CHEVROLET AVEO Technical Service Bulletin 2012/06/01 NHTSA #: 10044380
    Service Bulletin #: SB-11290
    (PWS): GM: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. PRODUCT EMISSION RECALL. DEGRADED CONNECTION BETWEEN IGNITION COIL SPARK PLUG BOOTS AND SPARK PLUGS. THIS MAY CAUSE THE ILLUMINATION OF THE CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT, ROUGH ENGINE OPERATION,
    Hi puskul79,

Thank you for reaching out to me. There is an emissions recall on your vehicle. I would be happy to make a dealer appointment for you to have this taken care of. The recall information is below. If you have any more questions or would like me to set up the appointment for you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal" in the subject header. Look forward to hearing from you!

11290 DEGRADED CONNECTION BETWEEN IGNITION COIL SPARK PLUG BOOTS AND SPARK PLUGS

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • tlcrntlcrn Member Posts: 1
    I totally agree, the AVEO should not have been built to start with. I have a 2008 Aveo Lt which have been given me problem since new. So far I the following have been replaced: the computer system, the A/C air compressor and switch, the security alarm system three times, the coolant system, since the engine light kept coming on and the dealership could not figure out the problem, my car was in the shop on and off for over a month trying to fix that problem; the problem was eventually fixed by "welding a wire", the calibers and much more. In the winter, I have to drive 30 mins before it gives out heat (I live in Ontario, Canada) and was told by the dealership that was "normal". I Now I have been having problems with the brakes the past month and afraid to get into an accident as it won't brake as it should and almost to the floor. I had the calibers replaced (under warrantee), the pads, rotors, shoes brake fluid, line flushed/bleed twice within two weeks at my expense and still a problem. I then had new tires and an alignment done and still not fixed the problem. It is still under warrantee for another 1000 kms and nothing the dealership will do. I was advised by a private mechanic who used to work for GM that the problem was the master cylinder but the dealership won't hear it. Instead, I was told by the GM shop manager at the dealership j to make sure I give myself a least one car distance between the car in front of me to give the car time to brake; I asked if I should leave 2-3 cars distance when it rains? and was told "it wasn't a bad idea". The car started rusting under the grey bar on the back of the trunk and the windshield wiper arms and nothing could be done and told that was normal. I have had an ongoing issue with the passenger door not locking, and when the trunk is opened for more than one minute, the four sometimes three doors automatically locks, and when I close the trunk, the alarm goes off. I was told that was "normal for the Aveo and that my car was possessed". I was offered $3,000 a trade in although I still owe $5,200. I was told by the dealership that the motor in the Aveo were made by Dawoo and difficult to obtain any information to fix problem and GM couldn't help...how nice to hear!!
    I am wondering if you have an update on your situation. I thought we got lucky since I found the part that was initially bad was recalled. Called the dealership and they replaced it with no fuss or questions. However, they only fixed the part, not the car. We changed the spark plugs last summer and the problem seemed to go away, it came back this summer with a vengeance. Only this time, we find out since the part was bad for so long it caused the gas to run rich, which in turn increases carbon emissions and build up in the exhaust system, which toasted the bank 2 O2 sensor. The dealership said it was not their problem and falls under "normal" maintenance. Chevy customer service basically said the same thing. The dealership wants $50 to $100 just to tell us what we know is wrong with it, $250 for the part to fix it, and who knows how much in labor. All caused by the initial bad recalled part. I am fixing it myself when I save enough for the part, and I am making an instructional you-tube video for step by step instructions on how to fix this on your own and why it was necessary to make the video in the first place. The car has only 49000 miles on it. No way it should have this many problems. And in no way is it excusable for a company not to back up its own product. Autozone said the only way to fix it was to drive it into the river, and oreilly's was shocked that chevy wouldn't fix it. When all is said and done and it is running, I am having big door signs made saying "beware! Chevy daewoo lemon! Buy a Ford!" Then I am going to drive it all over heck! If it can't be fixed, I live along a hi way and it will be the anti-aveo bill-board. I might even trailer it in parades. If I have to continue to pay for a lemon, I'm gonna get the word out and have fun doing it. Maybe my friend that works for the local news could feature it. Hmmm. :sick: :lemon:
  • eyes600eyes600 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 1.4 LT same problem had the car from new and after day 3 had engine malfunction light on, have had to keep getting it reset. It's now in FG Barnes a main dealer for chevrolet and they say its the coil pack. If this is a recall fault why haven't I had a letter from GM about this as its the same car but I'm in UK. Car has been recalled for breaks, had loads of sensor problems too. Will they repair this free for me then as it is a recall from the manufacturer??
  • barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    You are in the UK. Aveos in the USA have a 1.6 liter engine. Check to see whether the coil pack & spark plug recall applies to Aveos in other nations.

Do a web search, and complain, even by phone to GM if necessary. Remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". :mad:
  • joe437joe437 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 aveo also loses power every do often and the engines codes cannot be read. Does this sound like a computer issue?
  • teenymightteenymight Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Chevy Aveo and have had a similar problems. Of course the recall items were fixed but, later not quite 2 years into owning my car it starting studdering between 40 and 50 mph. It would seems like I was losing power. I would push down on the gas and the tachometer would spike but, the car would be losing momentum. The dealership said that I need the carbon cleaned out of my system but, it was not covered under warranty. I paid around $160+ to fix this. Get down the street and lose complete power. They say it is my catalytic converter and change it out under warranty. Seems to fix the problem. Well hear we go again not quite 2 years yet and it is doing it again. I have owned several vehicles over ten years and never had to replace a catalytic converter. I do not understand. What you are saying sounds similar did what you fixed take care of the problem. I do not know what to do but, I do not have the money to replace a cat converter out of my pocket this time. Hoping for some better info. Please contact me and let me know your results.
  • kaylesskayless Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the vehicle as a certified used car from a GM dealership. Driving down the highway, the vehicle suddenly lost power. I thought at first it was the alternator. It was towed to my mechanic to who explained to me that the vehicle was not a GM but a Daewoo with a Chevy emblem on the hood. Dealership and GM are not assisting at all and felt that their right to enter a partnership with Daewoo and not reveal that to the customers trumps my right to own a REAL GM.

My mechanic is completely unable to get a new head because these things are blowing all over the place. We discovered that the serpentine belts on these cars go without warning and can and will snap before the recommended replacement time and customers are left in the lurch. My engine work is in the thousands. I have since told GM and the dealership that it is the last GM I will ever drive and I will start purchasing from another manufacturer. Previous to this, I was traveling abroad for an extend period of time and all the coolant escaped from my AC. The dealership wanted $500 to verify that I needed to recharge my system. I cannot get over how GM is treating their customers on this car. I am learning that its the Bic lighter of cars on the road and is built to be discarded after less than 100,000 miles in hopes people purchase another GM.

If anyone is going for a Class Action Suit, hit me up. I have bills for a bad braking system that needed replacement that the dealership ignored, the rebuild on the engine, work on my coolant system. I still need some work on the electrical system unless I pay this thing off and sell it. I drove the GM family of cars for over 20 years its shame how this one class of cars can destroy a reputation of an automotive manufacturer.
  • kaylesskayless Member Posts: 2
    Check your mileage and have the serpentine belt replaced ASAP. I hate to recommend a $700 fix but you don't want a $4000 blown engine or a $2500-$3000 rebuilt head. Those pulleys and tensions are all plastic.
  • mjancosekmjancosek Member Posts: 2

2009 Aveo hesitates at 40mph on up.

I have a 2009 Chevy Aveo and have been looking for a solution for my problem. I have seen on here that people do have the same problem but no solutions are given.

1 Month ago I was driving and my car started sputtering on acceleration and the Hold light came on. Checked the code and it said misfire on 2. Ok, I changed the spark plugs and all seemed fine.

Now when fast accelerating over 40mph it starts hesitating and when you lighten up on acceleration it is fine. If you gradually build up the acceleration no problem at all.

My solutions:
    1) Put new coil on (is there a way to test this)?
    2) New Throttle position sensor?
    3) Checked codes again today and have U0401. Which is a problem with Engine Control Module. Replace Module?
    4) Is it the valves? Maybe it is not a hesitation but a backfire?
    5) Catalyst Converter?

These are all the "solutions" to the problem that the people talked about before. Nothing about "This is what I did and problem fixed". So before I start dropping money, is there anyone that has had this issue and actually had it fixed?

• minstrel45minstrel45 Member Posts: 4

My 2009 was in the shop so much that I had to get an '84 Cavalier as a short term replacement! However, GM of Canada customer service backed me to the hilt before I sent the car packing. They authorized a custom programming package to fix the power loss, replaced the fuse panel that was shorting out and did a number of other upgrades to make the car into a good car. Later they even replaced the radio when it malfunctioned after the warranty was up on it.
    Mind you it did take about 150K before I started getting anywhere near the mileage I had expected. If you are in Toronto Ontario and have any problems with your Aveo, Leggett's Chev in Etobicoke treated me like a long term customer when the dealer from whom I bought it treated me like a non-mechanical idiot. Would I buy a new Sonic? In a heartbeat if I could get it from Leggett's and have only them service it. As I live in Picton Ont. now, this isn't likely to happen.

Oh yeah, Onstar told me what it needed to fix the coil problem remotely.

edited December 2013

Also, my 2009 Aveo now has 180K on it and the radio again has a problem but I don't think I've a snowball;s chance it hell of getting it fix now...lol

Name dropper badge? is that bad? If it is I'm sorry but only that dealer helped me and now they are too far away. Oh well...lol