Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My Salesperson Misled Me

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Do you feel like your salesperson has been less than straightforward? Tell us about it here.

tidester, host
SUVs and Smart Shopper

Comments

• swimn10sswimn10s Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2008 TSX earlier today. I was very excited about the nav system in large part because I was told (on several occasions) by the dealer that the nav included displaying real-time traffic information. Since I've purchased the vehicle and have had a chance to review the documentation and instruction manual on the nav system, there is no mention of real-time traffic being displayed by the nav system in the car. I'm pretty pissed right now actually if it turns out that I was misinformed, because that was a big drawing factor for me. Anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know if it actually does support real time traffic and I'm just missing something? Or did I get screwed? If so, what should I do? Demand some money back or something? :mad:
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    Unless Real Time Traffic (RTT) is new to the 08 TSX, there is no-way this feature can be used on the TSX. I think only the TSX is the only 08 Acura model without RTT. We might have to wait until 09 with all new TSX before we see RTT bundled with a technology/navi package.

I had related problems with my salesman when I purchased my 06 TSX. He wasn't very sure about all the new upgrades to the 06 compared to the 05 TSXs. I spent months reading reviews, visiting the Acura website, ordering brochures online, and chatting to folks on 3 other forums like this one before I talked to a salesman. I gave him a few test questions to test his knowledge such as:

- Why is there only a 5 hp increase for the 06 model compared to the 05?
    - Will any Bluetooth phone work with the hands free?
    - Any new features on the Navi system for 06?
    - Why do I need premium fuel for this car?

Always ask the salesman questions when you already know the answers first to test their knowledge! The folks on this forum were more knowledgeable and helpful about the TSX than any salesman I’ve met.
    Shouldn't the dealer/salesperson be somewhat responsible for giving out misinformation about the vehicle you're buying though? The guy who sold me the car told me explicitly that the 08 TSX nav included real time traffic display that was integrated with the XM radio. I actually wan't initially interested in getting a car with NAV since I already have a portable GPS which I can carry between cars. But when the seller told me the nav in this car had the traffic feature, I thought it sounded really cool and worth getting, so I opted for that car and bought it. Ok, so now there's no way to return it, and no way they can fix it or anything, so what can I expect to get from the dealer besides an "oops... sorry". I feel like he should be at least paying me back the average difference in cost between a nav system with out RTT and one with it. By the way... anyone have a rough guess what that might be? I'm thinking a couple hundred bucks. I looked at Garmin, and the difference in cost between their models with RTT and those without is like $500.
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    Shouldn't the dealer/salesperson be somewhat responsible for giving out misinformation about the vehicle you're buying though?

This is a tough one, I wonder if it ended up in court what the actual damages would be? I mean the salesman should be responsible for providing correct information on the vehicle he's selling, but I also think there's some due diligence on the part of the consumer to know what they're buying. I might have asked him to demo the RTT for me or I could have verified it from the brochure or internet. I feel for you because you should be enjoying your new car.

Have you spoken to the dealership to see what their response is?
    There's a message on another forum from someone who purchased a vehicle that the salesman told him had real time traffic integrated through the NAVI system. Now that he owns the car, he realizes it doesn't and is looking for answers of what to do. Has something like this ever happened in any of your delaerships and if so what was the outcome? I was curious what the actual damages would be if any, and if he should have asked for a demo or verified it himself before doing the deal...
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    There's a message on another forum from someone who purchased a vehicle that the salesman told him had real time traffic integrated through the NAVI system. Now that he owns the car, he realizes it doesn't and is looking for answers of what to do. Has something like this ever happened in any of your delaerships and if so what was the outcome? I was curious what the actual damages would be if any, and if he should have asked for a demo or verified it himself before doing the deal...

What kind of vehicle did the person buy?

Nissan has real time traffic through XM radio. Every car with Nav will be set up with a XM antenna. The sales person could of told him that. But he would need to subscribe to XM to get that feature of real time traffic.

GP
    I just bought a 2008 TSX earlier today. I was very excited about the nav system in large part because I was told (on several occasions) by the dealer that the nav included displaying real-time traffic information.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    When I bought my Passat Wagon with Navi, I test drove one w/o it. Tested MP3s and they played fine. I was told that the my wagon would have bluetooth.

I went to pick up my car. The telephone button is there, but VW doesn't offer it for North America. Got a $200 off the agreed price (brought it to invoice).

At home I discovered that the CD player that came with the Navi didn't play MP3s. Live and learn. I now test *every* feature that is important to me before signing.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Material misrepresentation (aka fraud) is grounds for the recission of a contract. If the poster wants rid of the car, demand that the store take it back.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    He should have verified himself before he purchased.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    I am not a contract law expert. With that being said, when you sign the paper work in my office there are about four different documents that have the following verbage.

"This is a complete agreement between the parties. There are no other agreements or understandings except as set forth herein in writing"

What that means is if it is not in writing it is not part of the deal. If the dealer supplied you an equipment list or if it is stated on the window sticker it has the option you are talking about then you are entitled to it. If not then it is a case of he said, she said, Jimmy shot Sally.

Now we have had cases in the past where a salesperson has mis-spoke and at times we have made it right and at times we have ran the customer from the establishment and asked him never to return and to please use another store for any future sales or service needs. It all depended on how the customer handled the situation.

BTW I did about a 15 second google search and found out your car does not have it.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Research helps before purchasing a car. There is nothing you can do... unless you purchase a NAV unit that has RTT.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    ...This discussion topic reminds me of a time YEARS ago when I went to look at a VW Jetta Wolfsburg edition. I went in to look at the Golf, but the salesman wanted me to try the Jetta. So I started asking some questions. There were four power window buttons on the center console, and then there was a fifth button that had a picture of a window on it but was a different color. I asked, "What does THAT do?" He said it rolled all of the windows down at once. I wanted to try it, so I cranked up the car...pressed the button...nothing happened.

He then started extolling the virtues of the Jetta, which, according to him, included "Rear wheel defrosters" and, my favorite "Locking locks." This guy was a total loser. At the least, he didn't know his product. I left when he tried to convince me to climb in the trunk of the car to see how big it was. I was like, "Yeah, I can see my family reading about that one in the paper after my body is found on the roadside, "He stupidly got into the murderer's trunk with no sign of a struggle."

Granted, this VW dealership was paired with a Cadillac dealership, but if you're gonna sell a new car, you should know the features, shouldn't you? I am glad I tested the button that supposedly rolled down all of the windows. Not that I'd have bought the car based on that feature alone, but the guy's credibility took a big hit when I realized he was just making stuff up.
    Unfortunately in todays world technology is passing allot of sales people by like they are in the right lane on the Autobahn. Here is why I think that is happening.

For a professional salesperson this is not a problem because they understand that knowledge is power and power is profit. If you can't build value in something why would I pay you for it. That equates out to IMO about 60% of the sales people in the industry not including high line guys.

Its the other 40% who I am talking about here.

Prior to the internet, video conferencing, all the other high tech stuff we use for communicating now days we would have new product launches. For example when the new mustang came out in 1994 Ford would send teams all over the place to do what we called Ride & Drives. It would be a 2 day event where you did nothing but learn about the new product, its benefits, and its features, because any salesperson worth a damn knows that benefits and features is what sells cars. When they used to do stuff off site there were never any distractions and the group concentrated on the task at hand

Now what they do is have all there training over the internet and on TV, hardly any hands on stuff any more and they are really not held accountable. A $20 bill is all you need to get one of the product knowledge gurus to take your test and they feel that the 4 hours spent in the classroom is missed opportunity on the sales floor. They just don't get the fact that if you don't understand it then it is harder to sell and if you do sell it your ignorance is costing you money.
    Ok, so how do you reccommend I handle the situation in order to get my fair due and not be run out and "banned" from the dealership? Although at this point, given my experience it might not be such a bad thing to be banned. The thing here is that yes, ultimately I the customer am responsible for knowing the product I'm buying. It was apparently my mistake to trust what the salesmen were saying. I actually had no intention of buying a nav system with my car initially because I already own an external portable gps receiver. But 2 salesmen at the same dealership on 2 different days told me the same thing (about the real time traffic display), and I was very enticed by that feature. Because of that misinformation I chose to get the nav, which added about 2000 to the cost of the car. So, thanks to the salespeople's ingnorance (or perhaps deceipt), the dealership got a couple extra thousand dollars out of me that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
    I have already spoken to the dealer manager and he has been friendly in his tone but an [non-permissible content removed] in his response... his initial response (when I told him about the misinformation and discrepancy) was "I'm not even sure what that is... anyway I have a nav in my car and I don't even use it." So right away he tries to diminish my wants as a customer which I think is really rude. Then he goes on to say, "but I understand your frustration and we want to make sure you're happy with your car and can get on with enjoying your purchase... so, I'll see if there's anything I can scrape up for you from the shop here... maybe we can give you a shirt or something" (insert silent pause of disbelief here)... .what a joke! I mean I think this guy is either an complete idiot or he is a huge a-hole trying to add insult to injury.
    I'm going to go in today I think and look at the difference in the cost of the nav option on the TL and the cost of the nav option on the TSX. Since the main difference between the two is the real time traffic feature, this is the amount I think the dealership should be responsible for giving me.
    I think I might start out finding one of the guys that said it was equipped and say "Hey got a minute? I need some help, show me how to get the RTT to display on this thing, I know you said it had it I just can't figure out how to make it work" If he comes over and attempts to make it work then that will give you at least the appearance that he thought it was equipped with and actually did not know. If he instantly tells you that it is not equipped or says he never said that then you will know he was using the "Tell them what ever they want to hear" sales technique. At that point I would ask to speak to the GSM or GM and explain your situation to them.

Technically they do not have to do anything for you, it will just be a matter of weather or not they want to show some good will and are interested in a long time customer base or if they are sell and forget establishment.

I wish you luck.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    On your test drive, did you ask the salesman to show you the RTT?

I think I know the answer. But, if that feature was so important, why not?

"Caveat emptor!"
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    In response to the line "the dealership got a couple extra thousand dollars out of me that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise," I would have to retort, yes and you got a Navigation system. I think that the way this dealership is handling your situation is not good business practice (and I would have wanted to smack that Manager around as well) but I am also tired of hearing the omnipotent car shopper's tone of "everyone is out to screw me over." Perhaps the salesman just really mixed up his information, have you ever missed a question on a test or stumbled when giving a presentation? Think of the potential thousand questions someone could ask about a modern day automobile. My advice, if you really want to get the utmost accuracy out of your car shopping experience go with a pro. I have always found it amazing that a customer will walk into a dealership and work with any salesperson who walks up to them without knowing their credentials. Then, they whine when the random hungry salesman who started a week ago misinforms them. Next time, walk in and look for the salesperson with their own office or go to the manager and ask for the seasoned pro who is a real "product knowledge buff." AND STOP WHINING!
    Excuse me? Stop whining?? Am I missing something here or is one not entitled to receive what the seller claims to be providing in a sale? Maybe I'm just naive in thinking that salespeople should 1, know the product their selling, and 2 be honest about it. De77, would you really happy with a sales environment where you are mislead into buying something for a feature that turns out to not exist, then when you find out the truth... oh well you're screwed... just accept it?? Somehow I think you'd be doing a little whining yourself, unless you're just a sucker and you've come to terms with that.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    what is RTT? I don't sell Acuras so I'm not familiar with that feature. What does it do and do other manufacturers provide it under a different TLA?
    Mackabee :shades:
    De77, would you really happy with a sales environment where you are mislead into buying something for a feature that turns out to not exist, then when you find out the truth... oh well you're screwed... just accept it??

I think it sounds like De77 wouldn't have taken the salesman's word for it and verified it on his own. What dealership is it that you purchased this car from by the way? It sounds a little far fetched that the manager would have offered you a shirt for your trouble...
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Real Time Traffic.

Nissan has it on several models and so does Acura. It is usually tied into the nav screen with the satellite radio.
    A new interactive system introduced by Acura receives real-time traffic data from reporting agencies via XM Satellite Radio and displays it on the navigation screen, highlighting roads with problems in yellow or red. The system works in most major markets and keeps the driver a step ahead of fellow motorists and even some traffic reporters.
    So you agreed to buy a $2,000 navigation system (even though you already own a portable one) just for the supposed real-time traffic option? Perhaps you are naive.

The sad fact is that NO, not everyone has the product knowledge they should- in any sales environment. That is why I gave the advice to ask for a pro (THEY DO EXIST) when shopping next time. I also mentioned that I think that you are being treated poorly by this dealership and that perhaps you should get compensated. But the fact remains, you do still have a Navigation system in your car that has a value attached to it. IF Acura offers the real- time traffic feature as a separate option (you should have been able to see that right in the brochure) then you should get a portion of that back.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    Excuse me? Stop whining?? Am I missing something here or is one not entitled to receive what the seller claims to be providing in a sale? Maybe I'm just naive in thinking that salespeople should 1, know the product their selling, and 2 be honest about it. De77, would you really happy with a sales environment where you are mislead into buying something for a feature that turns out to not exist, then when you find out the truth... oh well you're screwed... just accept it?? Somehow I think you'd be doing a little whining yourself, unless you're just a sucker and you've come to terms with that.

It doesn't look like you were misled, you just got a salesman that gave you wrong information, because that's what he thoguth the car has. Do you really believe he lied to you just to get the sale?!? Risking his job for one car commission? I doubt it.

So you should accept it for what it is: the salesman made a mistake, and you didn't catch it. If you go to the dealership all puffed up yelling how you got screwed - I don;t think you will get anything out of it. Ans what is it exactly that you want to get out of it?

Everything a car has is prinyed on the Monroney sticker - the horsepower, MPG and every little feature, including the floormats. Did it say RTT on the sticker? If yes - you have a legal case. If not - you don't. So again - what are you trying to get out of it? Get out of the deal? Or squeeze a few fundred bucks from the dealer?
    Yep... that's what I'm thinking. The main (and possibly only) difference between the NAV in the TL and the NAV in the TSX is the RTT. The NAV option on the TL is about 500 more than the NAV option in the TSX. So, I think it would be fair to be compensated the $500 difference (as opposed to a shirt). And yes, I assure you this is what the dealership manager said to me... I have the voicemail to prove it. It's Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA FYI.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    That is why I gave the advice to ask for a pro

Pro's make mistakes too. Did you see Tony Romo's five interceptions and fumble in Monday nights game? :sick:

You shouldn't necessarily expect a salesperson to tell you the truth. Sometimes they will misspeak out of ignorance,laziness or just a mistake... other times to make a sale. So, verify everything that is important to you.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Do you really believe he lied to you just to get the sale? Risking his job for one car commission? I doubt it.

LOL. That's a good one. Who ever heard of a car salesman lieing to make a sale? ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I agree you should verify everything yourself, but I must say that I doubt a pro who is most likely very busy with his/her own clientele will purposely mislead someone to get a sale and deal with the backlash from this customer. Has anyone heard of customer surveys? They weigh heavily on the salesperson's credentials from the manufacturer (most makes do not allow pro status with bad surveys.) In part, that salesperson could loose thousands of dollars from in bonuses from the manufacturer and dealership.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    sorry to hear the salesperson gave you wrong information. it is too bad you did not go to the acura website. you would have found out the tsx does not have real-time traffic. the tl, mdx and rdx do. the mdx also has a back-up camera which would be nice to have with the tsx. i knew when i bought my 06 tsx it did not have rtt but i still wanted it. does anyone know how much it costs for the subscription to rtt if it is offered. i know the first 90 days are free.
    I am waiting on 4,000 dollars of CSI bonus money right now. I just need a couple of more surveys returned to get my numbers right. I only get my CSI bonus if I have 35 percent or more surveys returned from all of my new car sales. So for example if I sell a 100 cars in a year I need to get 35 surveys back in order to get the bonus and my average score needs to be above XX percent.

No way am I going to risk that bonus by purposefully misleading someone to get a sale with a couple hundred dollar commission.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    And the dealership did not make $2000 off of you - Maybe a couple of hundred dollars - the rest went to Acura (INVOICE). I doubt a salesman would lie for a little bit of gross profit.
  • epineyepiney Member Posts: 462
    Sometimes they will misspeak out of ignorance,laziness or just a mistake... other times to make a sale. So, verify everything that is important to you.

So true. Do I think it's possible that a salesperson provided inaccurate information. Of course, I have encountered it many times. However, whether he deliberately lied or not is only speculation and I don't think fruitful to debate here.

It is unfortunate that you purchased a vehicle based on information that you were led to believe, but I can't help but wonder why you didn't try it out or ask for a demonstration if it was that critical in your decision making process.

I have a new vehicle with RTT that a few weeks old. It is kinda neat, but it does not cover all major highways. It accurately shows accidents and construction, but frankly I don't know what alternate route I would use if I was not familiar with the area. When I have known areas well, the alternates tended to be congested as well.

You should alos realize RTT is not free. You need to pay an extra fee on top of the XM radio fee.
    Now what they do is have all there training over the internet and on TV, hardly any hands on stuff any more and they are really not held accountable. A $20 bill is all you need to get one of the product knowledge gurus to take your test and they feel that the 4 hours spent in the classroom is missed opportunity on the sales floor. They just don't get the fact that if you don't understand it then it is harder to sell and if you do sell it your ignorance is costing you money.

Joel,

I have to admit I love these gurus. Some times I can end up with a $150 in a hour and a half. And that is on a slow day.

I agree though these tests on line are not helping anyone I just think it must be cheaper or cost effective.

GP :shades:
    Nissan has it on several models and so does Acura. It is usually tied into the nav screen with the satellite radio.

Exactly... You have to have XM radio and you have to pay for the subscription to XM. RTT Shows and alerts you were the traffic is building up and asks you would you like a altenative route.

I suggested that to this poster yesterday and he may still be upset about it. No matter if if you get Nav with RTT or not Nav is and always has been $2000. I have to say shame on the Manager for not knowing that when he talked to the manager.

Nissan started using realtime traffic for 2008 models, also 2007 altimas...

I am sure Nissan is not the only one out there with this service.

GP
    Man I need to have more co-workers so that I can earn 150 bucks an hour taking other people's tests. I rarely make more then 80 bucks since our dealership is so small.
    Man I need to have more co-workers so that I can earn 150 bucks an hour taking other people's tests. I rarely make more then 80 bucks since our dealership is so small.

A lot of times you get a new person here who tries to take the 12 or 15 tests it will take them all day to do one. Give me a hour and a half and they are all done. $20 is regular fee for any one test.
    You know the rules if they are not certified no spin money... that is when the spin money comes out. Nissan used to do it all the time but not mcuch anymore.
    Yup same for us if you haven't passed the test then no spin money. Last year this time there was 500, 750, 1,500 or 2,000 dollars of spin money on any left over 2006 MY Land Rover. I hit one of the 2,000 dollar spins on a LR3. :shades: I got 500 or 750 bucks on a few other cars.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    All of ours were gone long before that spin. I did hit a $750 once
    The most I ever got was $500 on left over 2004 quests. Nissan is funny though they don't do spins that often. I believe they just put it into retro money. :(
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Truly excellent advice here, joel.

I take it that the problem here stemmed from the fact that it simply could not have been tested for the RTT feature until it was activated at time of purchase?
  • humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    It might be late in the game to give my opinion, but I'll give it anyway. Personally, I think some responsibility needs to be accepted on both sides. Whether it was due to ignorance or malice, the salesperson did not provide accurate information about the car. On the other hand, the buyer probably should have done some "due diligence" if the real time traffic feature was such a key selling point.

From a legal standpoint, the buyer probably doesn't have any recourse. I am not a lawyer, but in the auto sales contracts that I have signed over the years usually have some clause that if it ain't in writing, then it hasn't been agreed to. Therefore the dealership probably doesn't have to do anything, from a purely legal point of view.

On the other hand, the dealership had a great opportunity to engender a heck of a lot of goodwill if they would have handled this situtation more tactfully. It sounds like the Sales Manager was a total and complete d*ck to the buyer (although we only have one side of the story). Based upon the Sales Manager's response, I doubt the buyer will ever set foot in that dealership again, and I doubt that the buyer's family and friends will do that.

Consider for a moment if the Sales Manager had handled it like this. "I am sorry, sir, for the misunderstand. Salesperson so-and-so is new to the dealership and he probably got confused between the TSX and the TL models. I assure you that it was a completely honest mistake. In order to try and make it up to you, how about I give you free oil changes for a year, plus a credit with our parts department? I know it doesn't excuse the mistake, but we would really like the opportunity to prove to you that this is the exception, not the rule."

I guarantee you that the buyer would now have a good feeling about the dealership because they apologized for the mistake. It is amazing how much good will you can get with someone else just by saying "I'm sorry". In addition, the dealership is making a good faith effort to accept some of the financial burden of the error.

Yes, the dealer might have to take a short term loss by giving away some free oil changes, but now the buyer is going to come to the dealer for servicing, PLUS he is going to probably tell everyone he knows about how surprised he was about how classy this dealer is in actually saying "I'm sorry". The sad thing is that the impression that most people have of car dealers is a negative one, so when a dealer actually tries to make things right (without prodding from the Channel X News), it is a welcome surprise.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA! Good luck dealing with them. I bought my 04 TL from them, and had something similar happen to me. I asked the salesman if the car has tire pressure monitoring system, and he said yes. Come to find out that it doesn’t. It wasn’t a big deal to me, so I didn’t raise a stink about it.

If you think their sales department is bad, service is even worse. Every time I take my car there for warranty service, I get lies, and when I challenge them on it, I get attitude. When I called the Acura customer service to complain about them, the rep just mumbled to himself “It’s them again.” Prior to this car I had GM, Ford and Honda, Pohanka’s service department is the worst. The Lexus store next door to them is not any better. My friends who live five miles from the Lexus store drive 30 miles to MD for service.

As bad as they are, Acura would not do anything about it. They are the highest volume Acura dealer in America, and the next closest Acura store is 20 miles away. In Washington traffic, it is an eternity.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Not only that but if you score below an 80% you get to take the test again 24 hours later. Five years ago I used to take 4 tests before my first cup of coffee. Easy $100.00
  • sbullsbull Member Posts: 2
    I can't believe that you think that the manager at the dealership might be a complete idiot, aren't you the guy that paid $2000 dollars for Real Time Traffic Updates, I have this in my car, it's called the radio, and on top of that all you got was another NAV system.
    I'm sorry my friend but dumb is dumb, next time you go shopping I suggest you try not to get distracted by the bright and shiny stuff with all the bells and whistles and buy what you actually need. If I told you that my Rolex watch also doubled as a toaster oven would you believe me and buy one?
    I for one feel sorry for the poor salesman who most likely made a genuine mistake and has to put up with listening to you complain about "REAL TIME TRAFFIC"
    I think that the only solution to your problem is to suck it up and enjoy your fat ride! You actually managed to purchase a high quality, reliable, fun car; even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes!!!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If I told you that my Rolex watch also doubled as a toaster oven would you believe me and buy one?

That would depend entirely on the price! :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Salespeople talking about taking tests and other posters telling the original poster that he is SOL. I mean what else is there? :P
    Yes, I'll be the first to admit I do fall for the bells and whistles. I'm a gadget freak, what can I say. Hey, if you lived in the DC metro area, you'd probably appreciate having a device that notifies you immediately of traffic that is on your route and offers ways to get around it too. I think that kind of functionality would really get put to alot of use in this area. Anyway, the point you seem to be missing here is not the significance of the piece of the car that is missing, but simply the fact that it IS missing when I was told that it was part of the car. The manager of the dealership took the same attitude actually and responded to my complaint by saying something to the effect of "heck, I don't even use my nav system." and "hey.. if you need to know the traffic that bad, you can just call me every morning". So my response to both of you is the same... I don't give a rats tail whether you like the nav or the RTT or not, you're not the one buying the car. It doesn't matter what you like or don't like. What *should* matter is that the buyer gets what he's told he's getting when he pays for it.

"If I told you that my Rolex watch also doubled as a toaster oven would you believe me and buy one?"
    Boy, what a great analogy that is there. I guess I was way off base to trust the car salesman to know more about the car he was selling than I did. And to believe that a TSX nav system (which looks exactly like the TL's (and all other Acura NAV systems) which DO have RTT, also has RTT is preposterous. Yes, what an idiot I was to have believed that that could have even been possible. I mean adding RTT to all their models' nav systems is really just as ridiculous as thinking a watch could double as a toaster. What a moron I was to think that the salesman could have been right about that. Gee... If only I could have been as smart as you.
    Oh, and yeah I guess you're right... being the blind squirrel that I am, it must have been dumb luck that I had the financial resources to purchase a nice car. It couldn't possibly be because I work the money I have to pay for it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone else for their constuctive responses. I do appreciate it and it has helped me. Aside from the voicemail where he offered me a t-shirt and his comments about his own disinterest in the NAV features, the dealership manager has actually been pretty cool about things today. He's offering to do something for me to try to make things right (I think get the interior dash and steering wheel metallic trim which should look nice). So, we'll see how that goes. Thanks again to those who took the time to provide useful information and suggestions.
    The biggest spin I ever got was back in 1999. Ford came out with a cloth interior color in the base model Taurus that looked liked a leprechaun swallowed a rain bow and puked on the seats. It was short year end run and they put a spin on those cars. I hit for dime, which if I remember correctly I proceeded to parlay it in to a $400 loss on the WSU vs ASU game the Saturday after I received it :cry: Man am I glad I don't throw it away like that any more. :D
This discussion has been closed.