Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Audi A4

alfaraceralfaracer Member Posts: 9
Any word on when the 09's will be in the dealers' showrooms?

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    I think they are scheduled to arrive in the Fall, but need to call the dealership to confirm
  • ferkyferky Member Posts: 20
    My dealer just confirmed that it will be Sept/Oct before they arrive. This is Philly suburbs.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Only the higher end 3.2's will be available @ launch in September/October. It might be the very last part of 08 or early 09 before you see the less expensive new 2.0 T's.
  • jd25jd25 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know when would 2009 A4 be available in California?

Thanks.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    September 2008.
    Audi's new 2.0T in the 09 A4 should be an awesome engine.

258lb/ft of torque out the new 2.0T is pretty incredible.

AUBURN HILLS, MI – Audi of America, Inc. today announced that the highly anticipated, all new Audi A4 Avant will make its North American debut at this year’s New York International Auto Show, to be held at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City, March 21-30.

The 2009 Audi A4 Avant will feature the 2.0 TFSI, a new high-powered four-cylinder turbocharged engine that has 211 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. The current A4 Avant offers 200 hp and 207 lb-ft of torque. The 2009 A4 Sedan will also offer drivers the 2.0 TFSI or the option of a 3.2 FSI V6, with 265 hp and the patented Audi Valvelift Technology (AVS).
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yeah that new EA 888 2.0T engine looks to be something special. In fact, I'm holding off on a new A3 until the 2009 model year, just so that I can get that engine.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    With all that low end torque, the new 2.0T will be a screamer around town. Nearly 260 lb/ft is more than the 3.2 V6.

I'm surprised that Audi is making the 2.0T so powerful torque wise. Why even bother with the 3.2 model?. But they make so few 3.2 V6 A3 and A4's to begin with, I guess it doesn't matter that much anyway.

This new 2.0T motor will be awesome in the TT and A3 as well. With Quattro coming in the A3 and TT 2.0 for 2009, this should be an awesome set up.
    "This new 2.0T motor will be awesome in the TT and A3 as well. With Quattro coming in the A3 and TT 2.0 for 2009, this should be an awesome set up."

Well, sort of, errr, that is if you like driving a car with an automatic transmission. It seems that with both the TT and the A3, 4 driven wheels and 3 pedals under the dash are mutually exclusive options. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm a bit bummed about that as well. A 6 speed w/ be a fantastic set-up w/ this new torque rich 2.0T.
  • gcluv09gcluv09 Member Posts: 4
    So how much will the MSRP & Invoice go up by for the 09' models?
    09 models are avialable for ordering at your local dealer. No word on pricing yet.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    I've been getting some limited info from my local salesman...but whoops! It was on the A3, not the A4.

No word on the A3 prices either yet, but the A3 info had just come out this May, whereas "everything else" (eg, the A4) had arrived in the April 08 info package.

For the A3, I personally suspect that a price bump is coming, as they've deleted the cloth option...its only leather now. Leather was part of the Premium Package in 2008, which was a $1500 option in the A3.

-hh
  • cicero3cicero3 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking about making a purchase on the 09 A4. I have a 03 1.8T Q and am ready to start anew with a 2.0T engine. I was checking out the photos and noticed that Aud has replaced the tail pipe configuration on the 4s! Bummer. It is a small thing but I really liked the spread pipes and it looks like I will have to move over to an A5 for that small cosmetic (?) difference. The thing I am bothered by in terms of the A5, apart from having to go with a 6 cyl., is that the sunroof only tilts and does not fully open! Just can't seem to have my way! Are there any plans to have a fully function sun/moon roof on the 5s. It may be time, in light of gas prices, to go Prius shopping anyway and leave the fun behind!
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    My wife has her second A4-2006. 6 cyl. She loves it. I have an Infiniti M35X and will take a hard look at the 2009 A4 4 cyl. It may be enough for me and the mileage in the M35X is horrible. It also rides like a stagecoach.

Forget Prius I heard they drive like a s*t box. The economics of hybrids makes no sense. $$ and energy to build and dispose of 500 lb. batteries. Energy to haul them uphills. Quiet & peppy when charged but expensive to buy. Plug-in concept has no future at NYC area electric rates. Maybe different in hydro power states.

Consider a short lease for a gas A4 and position yourself to go diesel in 2011. 51% of cars sold in Europe are diesel. Most large cars there were diesel years ago.

By 2020 gas will be so expensive people will drive Vespas scooters or Smart minicars and borrow large cars from a motor pool for days they really need one. Cycling will will also cure obesity and diabetes.
    "Plug-in concept has no future at NYC area electric rates. Maybe different in hydro power states."

Agreed.

"Consider a short lease for a gas A4 and position yourself to go diesel in 2011. 51% of cars sold in Europe are diesel. Most large cars there were diesel years ago."

Uhhh, no, I don't believe that "Most large cars there [in Europe] were diesel" has ever been the case at any time in history or in any automotive market in the world for that matter.

"By 2020 gas will be so expensive people will drive Vespas scooters or Smart minicars and borrow large cars from a motor pool for days they really need one. Cycling will also cure obesity and diabetes."

I assume that this was written "tongue in cheek" so to speak. By 2020 my bet is that a significant percentage of our fuel needs will be from microalgae derived biodiesel, and I’m also betting that fuel will be relatively inexpensive as a result.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I thought the majority of cars in Europe were diesels, including the full sized cars.

Care to elaborate?
    "I thought the majority of cars in Europe were diesels, including the full sized cars."

When it comes to late model cars, yes, I believe you’re correct, however, I was responding to the following quote:

"Most large cars there were diesel years ago"

That simply isn't true. I've spent a lot of time in Europe since the early 1980s, and it's only been since maybe the mid to late 1980s that diesel powered cars, including luxury models, really started to take off. Even still, I'm thinking that by 1990, the only country were diesel luxury cars outsold gasoline powered ones was in France (a huge disparity in diesel versus gasoline costs due to taxes), and that may not even have been the case.

I don't know that the splits are right now, however, I'm betting that there's a pretty even mix of gasoline and diesel powered cars on European roads. True, more diesels are being sold over there, but it is just as true that there are also a lot of older cars that are still gasoline powered.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    What about dilithium crystals? A clean matter steam from matter/anti-matter imbalance! That will serve OPEC right.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Has audi become a real rising star now? From a salesman's point of view it has, since sales have rise significantly (he said so, not sure if its true) since the '02 A4 model showed up.
    I'm personally not a big fan of the new grille, but it looks great on the A8 and A5, now the new A4 is on the way and I'm rather surprised to find the new grille looks pretty good on it, just a little too wide imo.
    On the other hand, he claimed audi found less and less female buyers particularly due to the big-Oh grille, looks too masculine they said.
    What do you think?
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    Yes, I hated the grill when they first unveiled it. I thought I would never buy an Audi because of it, but here I am with an A4. I have a Euro license plate strip across the front with the German plate from my '01 BMW Euro Deliver (hah, take that BMW), so it sort of breaks up the widemouth bass look.
    It took me a while to warm up to the bassmouth, but even now I still think it looks just plain ugly on A6. The 05-08 A4 looks ok with the O grill, but not great imo. I was surprised though to see the new A4 wearing the same grille but looks positively cool.
    I also thought I'd never buy an Audi after the big-O grille. But the new A4 is cool enough to turn my head everytime I see one. Add the better interior than BMWs, and all I'm waiting for is the pricelist. Hope they maintain the lower than BMW price. I was turned off by the A4s current pricing of only $1200 less than a comparable 335xi.

I give credit to Audi for designing such a cool looking car while retaining its timeless design element. I believe Audi is among the last car company to stick with timeless elegance. Some say Audi's current design is no longer a timeless elegance, but I disagree. True its becoming agressive looking at times, and the O grille isnt timeless at all, but its easy to fix.
    This is what I'd do, just paint the horizontal grille splitter (the middle part for license plate), color coded, and you get the timeless design back. Imagine the A6 with its grille splitter painted, and compare it with the older A6, you'll see the similarities right away. Too bad I cant say the same about the interior... looks cool but less elegant than the old one. I miss the classier lighter beige colors.
    Audi just released 09 A4 pricing. Base price is $32,700 and it includes leather, sunroof, dual power seats for the tiptronic quattro.

When you account for the mandatory premium package to get leather in the old A4, the new 09 model is actually less expensive than the 08.

With it growing 6 inches in the wheelbase and the new 2.0T motor, it's very agressive pricing. Audi should do awesome business on the 09 models.
  • irisheyes44irisheyes44 Member Posts: 15
    Do you know when the 09 a4 quattro cabrio will be available? Are their pictures some where? I would love to trade my 05 before my warrenty runs out.
    Is it necessary to put 91 grade gasoline in A4? Does it cause any problem if I use 87 grade even though Audi recommends using 91 grade?

Thanks!
    Is it necessary to put 91 grade gasoline in A4? Does it cause any problem if I use 87 grade even though Audi recommends using 91 grade?

Yes, using 87 will lower your gas mileage and your available power, it will also increase your cost per mile for fuel.
    Even after taking into account the price differential between grades 87 and 91 or 95, can one still get better cost per mile of fuel?

Thanks!
    Even after taking into account the price differential between grades 87 and 91 or 95, can one still get better cost per mile of fuel?

Certainly. The A4 is designed to run on Premium fuel, and by running Regular fuel in it, the engine will need to retarding the valve and ignition timing, both of which will negatively affect fuel economy. Around here Premium (i.e. 93 AKI fuel) is $4,04 per gallon and Regular (i.e. 87 AKI fuel) is $3.84, so if your typical fill-up is 15 gallons, the costs of filling your tank is $60.60 versus $57.60. That equates to less than a five percent savings, however, the various scientific studies that I've read indicate cars designed for Premium lose anywhere from eight to fifteen percent in fuel economy when fed a steady diet of Regular. Slice it and dice it anyway you want, you'll be losing money by burning Regular in an A4.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    A4 Quattro cab's (09's) are already starting to appear on dealer lots.

No change in the 09 model convertible, though, other than slightly differnt wheels and a few option packages.
    You have such patience. We have, as you are well aware, Shipo, discussed this issue incessantly -- and recently.

Why would anyone question the mfgr's fuel octane requirements, as if the mfg COULD get away with requiring a fuel the car really hasn't been engineered to use?

Yet, you patiently -- and correctly -- respond.

Me? Well I would be tempted to respond, "what in the wide wide world of sports would possess you to WANT to decrease both your mileage and power while simultaneously increasing the potential risk to the engine and increasing your costs?"

Thankfully, you have the ability to respond, er, with patience, understanding and decorum.

Speaking of premium sucking cars: my 2009 A4 with the 19" wheel sport package has been delayed until week 37 with delivery about 6 weeks thereafter.

As you may recall, I went with the 4 cylinder, premium sucking model with most of the optional extra boxes checked. I am, as of now, expecting an MSRP of about $45K -- wow! $45K for a 4 cylinder -- hope that 258 pound feet at 1500 makes it worth it. Heck, that seems not that much less than my 2005 A6 (AFTER discount).

I am still excited about the thing, however.

I must say, that at 57,000 miles on my A6, the thing is darn near STILL flawless and fun to drive. At this point, keeping it would not be punishment.

Hopefully there are no further delays on the new A4, tho.

Keep the patience.

You are my rock.

My attempt to be patient: it says "requires premium" it means that using less is a false economy. Use regular in your new premium sipper if your goal is to spend more and get less.

I wish I had THAT kind of money.

Drive it like you live. :shades:
    Thanks Mark! I guess I'm getting mello in my old age. :P

FWIW, it is looking reasonably certain that my next long term contract will have me driving about 600 miles per week, and at current gas prices, that's an "OUCH!" Assuming this contract comes through, I've decided to eschew the A3 that I've been lusting after and opt instead for a GTI 6-Speed (the 3-pedal version) with the new CCTA engine (i.e. the same engine as in your new A4 sans the new "Valve Lift" technology). Why? Well, both to cut my depreciation costs (how are three year old cars with nearly 100,000 miles on the clock worth these days?) as well as to keep my gasoline costs to a minimum (while still having a fun car to drive for the duration).

Keep us posted on your driving impressions of the A4. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    There is a backorder on all 2009 A4's with 19 inch wheels and S line package. Even the A5 can't be ordered with the upgraded 19's or sport package. There is a supplier problem and they can't make enough of the rims.

The premium and premium plus are very good values on the 09 A4 2.0T Q.

For under 37k on the premium plus, you get the xenons, led's, bluetooth, dual power and heated/memory seats, ipod, and more. A current convenience package 08 A4 2.0T model is the same price.

The prestige is kinda pricey @ 40k, and it's too bad you have to spend $3300 more to get the advanced key and bang and olufson & 18's. They bundle that with the lane assist. I don't know how many people car about lane assist on an A4.
  • willbuyan09willbuyan09 Member Posts: 10
    When can I see one in Colorado?

Also, I need quattro. Can I get the 2.0 w Quattro? On the Avant? Anyone know anything about the gas milege?
    I'm not sure there'll ever be A4 cabrio again, I heard theyre switching it to A5 cabrio for 2010 model. Well.... just imagine a topless A5, cool isnt it?
  • traderjtraderj Member Posts: 39
    I live next to the largest volume Audi Dealership in North America. I went there yesterday to inquire about the 2009 A4 Avant. I asked about regular gas. They told me that was the most frequently asked question by customers. They have been told by Audi to tell all of their customers that they can use regular gas in all Audi models. You see they don't "require" premiun, they "recommend" premiun to get maximum performance.
    What does this mean? This is legalese marketing mumbo jumbo. It allows them to advertise 211hp and 258 torque, in order to top a competitors figures.That's what sells cars, numbers!
    Does it affect performance, yes, but so little that you won't be able to tell the difference. You might get 207hp and 252 lbs. torque. Does it affect mileage? Well, the technically yes, but in reality NO! The EPA mileage for the Quatro is supposed to be 21 city and 27 hwy. If indeed you get 27 hwy on premium, you may get 26.95 on regular. So in reality there is no noticeable difference. I just read an article in which the author posed this question to a Porche engineer, and he said it was perfectly fine for any Porche owner to use regular and that he doubted that any Porche customer would notice a difference in either perfomance or mileage. You will see in 2009 that almost alll manufacturers who used to "require" premium, will be changing the language in their manuals to say "recommended" premium for best performance. You see, all engines today have brains which automatically adjust the engine to run on any grade of gasoline. In fact, the Hyundai Genesis is the first car to publish exact figures for both regular and premium gas. Their v-8, which gets 368hp on premium, loses 7 hp with regular and no difference in mileage. I beleive that publishing dual power figures will become the norm in the near future.
    So, the bottom line is, if you are drag racing to work everyday or if you don't think Exxon is making enough money, keep buying premium. If not, keep the change for yourself.
    Thanks for the clarification! I'm waiting for the 2009 A4 to come out which I'd prefer to lease. I just hope that by using 87 or regular grade gas won't breach any lease terms...
    While using 87 will not violate any terms of your lease, it is highly doubtful that you'll only lose a quarter of an MPG by running regular fuel (contrary to the highly questionable factoids posted by traderj).

Do what you wish with your car, however, most of the scientific studies that I've read regarding the use of Regular fuel in cars designed to run with Premium indicate that you're going lose at least eight percent of your fuel efficiency, which is more than enough to cost justify using Premium fuel.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    As I go through Google search on this topic, the consensus seems to be that if the car requires premium then one can get away by using regular about half the times of refilling. If the car recommends (not require) then one can probably get away using regular all the time. It seems according to AAA more than regular vs premium debate it is important to refill with brand name gas such as Chevron's Techron that has added detergent to keep the engine clean from carbon buildup. Following is an article from MSNBC:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25691323/
    That article is simply opinion from a few sources that have no scientific credibility, that and it has more than a few inaccuracies and outright fabrications laced into the dialog.

If you want much more accurate and scientifically derived information, go to the SAE archives ( http://www.sae.org ) and poke around a bit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    People spend way too much time worring about saving 10-15 cents on gas.

18 months ago premium 93 gas was 2.89 gallon...now it's 4.09 You'll get better performace and mileage if you use 91 or better on Audi's, especially on a Turbo motor.

Keeping proper tire pressure and controling your driving habits will save you just as muh if not more than worring about 87/89 vs 91 octane gas.
  • cicero3cicero3 Member Posts: 2
    Shippo. Quick, tell John McBush!
    Sooooo true ;) , many even forget that premium gas improve mileage.
    Good point.
  • willbuyan09willbuyan09 Member Posts: 10
    I went to the closest dealer yesterday and he had a brochure available. Not the flimsy card, but the book like brochure. He said they should have cars in late September-but these are the ones Audi decided to send them. The ones they have on order will arrive in Oct.

I took a picture of the brochure and got in an 08 A6. The dash is almost the same.

I think I am leaning toward the Avant to have the extra cargo room. It has the 2.0 T engine, which is the one I prefer. Better mileage. The salesman told me that I should be able to get close to 30mpg hiway.
  • yatesdyatesd Member Posts: 60
    "Shippo. Quick, tell John McBush! "

I wish...I'd certainly vote for Bush again in 2008. Anyway, don't you think this is off topic?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    don't you think this is off topic?

Indeed. :)
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I'm thinking of trading in my 2005.5 A4 3.2 CVT Quattro for a 2009 2.0 CVT Quattro. I'm doing this for 2 reasons: 1) I need a new car every 2-3 years, I get that itch and 2) Better mileage.

I'm currently getting about 22MPG lifetime average, which isn't bad, but I think I can get 30+ with a 2.0. I'm also thinking of leasing this time around.

Has anyone switched from a V6 to a V4? I'm wondering if there's a significant difference. I'm used to the power of the V6.
  • shaymasdaddyshaymasdaddy Member Posts: 16
    Just a couple of things. The '09 A4 2.0 Quattro comes with the 6-spd tiptronic transmission. The CVT is only for the front wheel drive version. There won't be that much difference from your V6 to the new 2.0TFSI engine in the '09. Although the new 2.0 T engine has 211 hp, the torque has increased from 211 to 258 pound-feet of torque which is really the key to accessing the full performance of your engine. I've read that the new 2.0T has great acceleration, but you should let your test drive speak for itself.

Enjoy!
    . . .you will note they have been engineered to use Premium gas. They have also been programmed to be able to retard the spark sufficiently to reduce pre-ignition (PING) which does, over time, do damage.

The impact of doing this does not totally eliminate the damage, but for practical purposes, you probably can get away with it -- besides the warranty will be long over before the damage would be paid for by Audi (et al.)

Mileage and performance are impacted by using 87 octane, when the engine has been engineered for maximum performance and mileage on 91 or 93 octane.

If you poke around you will find both opinion pieces and "objective" pieces that explain reasons to use the "recommended" octane. Often, at the same time, you will find articles that claim no advantage is gained by using premium in a car engineered for regular. The opposite is not the case, however.

For the heck of it, I tried regular in my Audi 3.2 ('05 A6). The car didn't start "normally," it seemed as if it were being driven with the emergency brake slightly engaged causing a drag on the accelerative capability. When I reached a 1/2 tank, I put premium in and couldn't wait for my old A6 to return.

Wondering, I did the same thing to my wife's car (a 3.0si engined) BMW X3. She thought the car needed servicing (I didn't tell her about the gas until after the fact.)

I guess if one were to start from day one using regular, well you might think the way the car performed was "as designed." Pity.

These cars are often over $40K (my new A4 will be north of $47K) and why would I not use the recommended fuel under the false assumption of saving money is difficult to imagine.

Audis are designed to use premium gas. If this is a show stopper for you, buy something else.

Using regular in one of these cars, especially the forced induction models is an exercise in a "false economy."
    I had a chance to test drive a 2009 A4 Quatro sedan today. The Audi dealer had 2 for demo purposes. Both were Premium models, 2.0t . One had wood interior, the other aluminum. Very briefly, the engine, transmission and overall ride were very good. And, the larger size was perfect. However, I do have a few things that bothered me.
    1) You do not get a driver information center on the Premium model. That means no mpg or distance to empty etc. You must get the Premium Plus package for that ($4,000). Also the info that you do get is in small red lettering which is hard to read. The optional driver information center is in bright white and very easy to read.
    2) No rear a/c vents unless you buy the Prestige package for($6,000). This is a real problem in the Avant, as I live in Florida.
    3) The speedometer goes to 180 mph. Not only is that absurd, since the salesman told me that the car is linited to 120 mph, but this causes a problem. There are so many numbers on the speedo, that your normal driving speeds, 0-60, are all on the bottom left of the speedo in a 2-3 inch space at the bottom of the dash. It is much harder than necessary to read your speed. 3/4 of the speedo is wasted space.
    4) If you have seen the brochure, the only pictures of the center console show very elaborate layout with an MMI button and a push button start among other things. Well that is only for the Prestige package. Other models have a very Plain Jane black plastic area surrounding the shifter. The key starts the car and ther is a small plastic MMI button by the radio.
    5) I took the car up to 50 mph and breaked hard. The car stopped true and straight as an arrow, however, it was the loudest ABS sytem I have ever heard on any car. Not the tires or the brake pads, but the ABS sytem. Be prepared for it, or the noise may scare you.
    As I said the ride and acceleration was good, and I thought the seats were very comfortable. The styling, however, which looked beautiful in the brochure and online, did not quite translate in real life. I was a little let down. I thought they looked a bit dull. However, these were 2 Premium models, one black and one silver. Maybe the dressed up models or different colors will look better. The dealer is having a party next Thursday night to introduce the A4 and they hope to have more in by then. I am planning to attend.
    For those interested in the Avant, they won't have any for 2 months.
    If you have any specific questions, I will try to anser them.
    I forgot to mention, MPG per the window sticker was 21/27. I was told the front wheel drive models will get 30 mpg highway, but can't verify that.