Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

mcnabneymcnabney Member Posts: 2
My dealership actually took the time to call me and tell me the bad news today. It turns out that the 2009 Elantra Touring has now been pushed back to the summer. SO I guess it will be a 2010 Elantra Touring now.

I would have thought that Hyundai would want to sell some cars, what with small, inexpensive, and fuel efficient cars are quite the hot item now. I would have even settled for a Elantra SE with leather and a manual transmission, but all they seem to have is acres of automatic GLS sedans. If Hyundai wants to actually compete with Honda and Toyota they are going to need to learn how to get the cars that people want out the door...

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If you can, take those specific car seats to the dealership. They should let you try and put them in if they want to sell the car, because it sounds like a deal-breaker otherwise.

Just a thought.
  • bryan_05bryan_05 Member Posts: 16
    http://www.bnd.com/living/story/512220.html

Deitz said Genesis will be joined by an '09 Elantra Touring (wagon) in the first quarter of next year, the '10 Genesis coupe in the spring, a new crossover in the fourth quarter of next year, a new more crossover-like Tucson for '10, the next-generation Sonata in the second quarter of '10 as an '11 and the next-generation Accent in early '11 as a '12.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Mid-next year is definitely not true, according to what I am hearing. The North American spec Elantra Touring should be starting production very soon, and they should arrive in showroom either later this year or early next year.
    The new crossover would be the production Portico, I believe. Sonata is moving ahead of its normal cycle so we should see it very soon.
  • schwutkeschwutke Member Posts: 1
    My dealer called as well and informed me that the arrival of the Touring has been postponed and they will arrive starting in January 2009 - in CAlifornia and Western States.
    Michigan, where I live will not officially see any Tourings at the dealerships until end of 2009.
    Non-US Hyundais come through the port of Portland, OR, so I can't see why it would take almost a whole to reach from the west coast.

I am still being told the Elantra Touring will start trickle into showrooms either late this year or early next year, depending on the proximity of the dealership - obviously the west coast will receive allocations first.
  • kentavos22kentavos22 Member Posts: 13
    If this is true, it really sucks. I've almost bought a new car a couple of times and have delayed waiting for this car. :mad: I'm about to the point where I'm just going to buy a Mini.

Any idea why it's being delayed?
  • afob3afob3 Member Posts: 17
    Just got an email from my dealer indicating that the first one had arrived. Caught a glimpse of it on my way to work today.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, they have arrived in MN also.
  • familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    They've arrived in southeastern PA also.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    On the lot in Pensacola, FL. too.
  • moontommoontom Member Posts: 28
    I drove the "Sport" version w/ the 17inch low-profile tires the other day.

it was better than expected, very responsive but handled bumps poorly -- almost as bad as the Matrix I'm trading because of the bumpy ride.

the base ETouring offers 16 inch alloys and I'm wondering if it would be possible to swap the wheel/tire configuration....ie, the "Sport" trim level w/ 16s, etc. would this be safe? void the warrantee? etc....

thanks in advance for any/all insights.

tm
    As long as the overall tire diameter is retained in the swap, you should be OK. But be sure to drive the car with the 16" wheels (the Sport trim I mean) before you buy. The Sport trim has suspension tweaks that might contribute to the bumpier ride you noticed.

Why not just go with the base version?
  • moontommoontom Member Posts: 28
    I liked the upgraded one for the sunroof etc (dunno if there's a difference in the audio or anything else)
    but I might just do the base and have the dealer do the sunroof. the headliner for the roof cuts off a fair amount of headroom space.

thanks for yr help!
    tm
  • eba55eba55 Member Posts: 20
    Just wondering if there's anyone out there to give a report on the Elantra Touring, other than a test drive. I drove one today with the Sport Package. It was much quieter than my 7 year old Elantra. I also liked the way the seats are up higher. The front and back were much more comfortable. I've always steered clear of cars with sunroofs because of headroom, but I fit in this car without feeling crowded. I don't think the sunroof, heated seats and big wheels are worth $1500 though. Not sure how long it will be before they get a base model to look at out here. They have only one Elantra Touring and just got it yesterday! :D
  • rgwicks98rgwicks98 Member Posts: 3
    I have owned one for over a week now and love it. i bought the base model Black/Black (no sunroof, heated seats and sport wheels). I traded in my 2008 Veracruz and do not regret it...better gas mileage, same smooth ride, fun to drive...IPOD/USB port is a big factor.
  • rail81rail81 Member Posts: 2
    When someone posts, please state auto vs manual. Our dealer has had a manual about a month now... But my wife want's to test drive the automatic... Need to know when the automatics start showing up. My dealer just isn't sure????.
  • rgwicks98rgwicks98 Member Posts: 3
    I bought an automatic, all the tourings on the lot at my dealer in Atlanta are auto's.

rob
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I'm in Atlanta also and both dealers I've visited had automatics only, too.

I really like the car, but I wish the automatic had a little more power (or at least another gear). The car looks/feels sporty but the automatic didn't suit my driving style...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    a few days ago at the Tucson Mall, and they had a new Hyundai Elantra Touring inside there. A beautiful looking rig, and it was an automatic tranny. Tinted windows pretty heavily (nothing wrong with that in the SW desert) but I just had to see the tranny type. Really nice looking car, though. Modern looking and nice flowing lines to it's body.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Thanks for posting. What kind of MPG are you getting? They only have automatics out here too, but I'm tired of shifting so I think I'll be ok with that. I've been getting 26-28 in town in my old Elantra so I'm wondering if it will be possible to get near that. :shades:
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Do you know what the invoice price of the base Elantra Touring Automatic is? A dealer in NJ is offering it at $1,000 below invoice and $1,000 Hyundai rebate but I can't find the invoice price on Edmunds. I have a 2008 Elantra SE and I love it. Unfortunately, I will have to give it to my daughter to take to college next year since it replaces a Corolla she totaled last June. I am thinking of trading or selling my 2008 Toyota Sienna XLT Ltd for the touring. The Elanta is so easy to drive and park. Thanks
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    I saw my first Touring (silver) at our local Raleigh, NC Hyundai dealer. Please note that I had two Elantra hatchbacks and now own a 2007 Sonota. Here's my take:

1) It's a very attractive car, especially for essentially a small station wagon.
    2) It looked a lot bigger than I thought. I don't have my Elantra HB but it looked a lot bigger than I my HB.

I wish Hyundai was offering great deals on them cause I would be tempted to trade in my Sonata, which I love. BTW, my combined mileage in my Sonata is around 24 MPG.

Anyway, here's my 2 cents!

Berto
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I saw my first Touring last Friday. It looks ... substantial. And it feels composed and planted in a fast corner. This one was dark silver (gray?) and I probably would have started into haggling had it been a manual trans. Next steps - find a manual one. Then, drive it again, with more freeway time - I spend lots of time in 2-4 hour jaunts on the I-5 here in So Cal. Just to be sure. Finally, if I can get a factory roof rack on it (for my bikes), and I can get my golf clubs into it with the seats up, we've got a winner.
  • rb7385899rb7385899 Member Posts: 4
    4 speed auto, no moonroof. 18,500 out the door, including delivery. I shopped it against the XB, Kia Rondo, Matrix, RAV 4. Elantra had the best combo of price, interior room, fuel mileage, and warranty. Slapping the gated auto to the right downshifts from 4th to 3rd and provides reasonable acceleration. I get 26.5 around town, legitimately 30+ on the highway. Peppier than you'd expect, but I still wish it had an extra gear, and window tinting. Good commuter car, and plenty of room for 2 large dogs behind the rear seat. :)
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Congrats on your purchase. I haven't driven the ET, but I did spend a bit of time in an Elantra sedan last fall and came away very impressed.

You listed an interesting group of alternatives. I would have guessed the Matrix would be a direct competitor, but I'm surprised about the others. I guess I still have a mental division between "station wagon" (ET, Mazda 3 hatch, Jetta SportWagen, Matrix) and "something else" (RAV4=SUV, Rondo=mini-minivan, XB=something else). But it does make sense--something with maximum utility, ~$20k, reliable, with maybe a hint of sportiness but not to be confused with what the Brits call a "hot hatch."

I don't want to put you on the spot here, but I am curious about some of the cars you didn't mention shopping the ET against. If considering the ET to be a small four-door hatchback/wagon, then what about the Rabbit, the Mazda3, the Fit, the Versa hatch, or maybe the HHR or PT Cruiser? If shopping it against the RAV4, then what about the CR-V, the Tucson/Sportage, or the Element?
    The same dealer had the same car a week later. I verified three key things:

1) My golf clubs fit fine in the back. Two sets for sure, maybe three. Glad they sculpted out the sides of the cargo area for this.
    2) Hyundai Parts gave me a list of Parts (and a drawing) of how to attach a real factory roof rack. As they are Parts, and not an Accessory, it's over $400. But this solves the "where do I put the bikes" problem, and still stays about the same price of a 1.8L Matrix. Much better handling as well.
    3) On a 15-minute freeway jaunt, at 75 mph, it's a quiet ride. Very well controlled ride as well, on the choppy concrete.

Still looking for a stick shift version to test drive. Anyone else tried one yet?
    And I love it. It's an automatic and has been averaging 27 around town. It sure handles better than the 6 year old 5 speed manual elantra it replaced, and is getting just as good mpg! I'm so upset- the husband rubbed the wheel on the curb tonight. I've never had a car with nice wheels, and now I see why that was a good thing. Just that little rub ate up the edge of the wheel! Can anything be done to make it look better besides getting a new wheel? :mad:
    It turns out there are companies who do this, some that even specialize in it (e.g. they come to you to repair the wheel). If you google "alloy wheel repair" you'll see some of the options around. I've not used this kind of service before, but I have a 2004 GT with some dinged-up alloys (yes, curbs) and I might look into it.

Those alloys on the Touring are very sharp. The first ding is always the hardest. :cry:
    I purchased a touring this week in central NJ and I think I got a great price. Cost was 3,050 OTD with a trade of my 2004 Toyota Sienna Ltd with 61,000 miles on it that was in good condition. The way they wrote up the purchase stated that they were giving me $13,000 for my Sienna. The receipt was confusing but the bottom line was all I cared about. I probably could have gotten about $15 for my Sienna selling it privately, but I saved about $1,000 on the tax and this was much easier. It is the base model, black with light interior, automatic, with mats and wheel locks. So far I'm getting about 24 mpg around town in some heavy traffic. I have a question about the key fob. It opens up the car but when I press on the hatch door it does not release it. Is that typical of other tourings or does my fob need to be reprogrammed? Thanks Marlene
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    If it works like the trunk on the sedan you need to hold the button down for about 2 seconds.
    The back hatch doesn't pop open on its own. You have to unlock it with fob, and then lightly touch the rubber-coated button under the lip of the hatch handle. With practice, it becomes a single motion.

Hope this helps.
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    How does the hiway ride on the Touring compare to the Sienna?
    Thanks for your response. We tried it last night and it worked. My salesman was awful and didn't go over any of the car's details with me, so I've been reading the manual when I can. Luckily I have a 2008 SE as well so it is not that different. I'm glad the hatch doesn't pop open on its own. That could be a problem if the fob was pressed accidentally. Marlene
    Even though the Sienna was the most comfortable car I've ever driven, the Elantra is so much easier to drive. I barely have to put my foot on the gas and it goes, and it is so much easier to park. The Sienna LTD was a very heavy car and you had to give it a heavy foot. I can't compare gas mileage yet since all my driving on the Touring has been around town and averaging between 23 and 24 mpg. Around town my Sienna would get around 17. My 2008 SE gets about 35 mpg on all highway driving. So far I love the Touring, although this weekend after a garage sale, I missed the hauling capability of the Sienna and had to make three trips to donate the leftovers.
  • evanfrankevanfrank Member Posts: 1
    ecotrklvr:

would you be kind enough to forward me parts list and drawing for your roof rack on the elantra touring? I am struggling to find one that will fit.

let me know if you need my email address or fax #.

Many thanks in advance.
    Evan
  • csi007csi007 Member Posts: 26
    Thinking about buying a 2009 Touring. The dash is obviously not the standard 1 or 2 DIN opening. Anyone have a solution for replacing the factory radio/dash panel and replace it with something after market?

Thank you!
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Have you tried Crutchfield?
    Yeah, they would not have what is needed. Because of the non-standard radio openings what Crutchfield offers will not work without modifications to the dash plastic. However, I am not even certain that a 2 DIN space is behind the factory dash plastic.
    Well, the Sakes Manager at the second dealership called me and told me he believes that the rack attachment points aren't really there on the car. So you can buy the rack parts but they can;attachment be attached to the car. So now I've got 2 opinions, and a split decision. Now waiting for 2010 Subaru Outback to test-drive.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat tomorrow night, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page. See you there!
    Thanks for the tip. I've had friends with the universal racks on other cars, and they leaked where they pressed against the door seal. Leaked air which whistled at highway speeds, and water when it rained.
  • willodwillod Member Posts: 1
    On another forum, a person in GA said their dealer offered to attach the i30cw rails. Apparently the dealerships can get them on a "parts" order, not an "accessories" order. If you can find a dealer willing to do it, MAKE SURE it doesn't affect warranty. The i30cw rails should be perfect since the cars are pretty much the same.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/02/27/452067.1-lg.jpg
    Or they might be able to get you the i30 Estate ones, depending on your style.
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/4923/images/hyundai_i30_estate_1_560px.jpg
    I am looking for them too, I will post if I get more info.

Don't bother with the hyundai "universal"; you may as well buy the yakima or thule kit for half the price.

Why are you waiting for the 2010 outback? If not for the mpg I would've pickd up a 2009 Outback. Manufacturor cashback is $2000 and crowded dealers will give you another $2000. The deal is unbeatable.
    I am still in debate mode with this vehicle. I took it for another test drive (the second one) and I love everything about this car except for the engine...Noise and acceleration. I was on a somewhat steep hill at a stop and when I tried to get out into traffic the thing nearly red lined trying to get up the hill and it did it just barely. I am going for a third and final test drive tomorrow to try to persuade myself to go for it or to just back off until something else comes along. :(
  • 8sparkplugs8sparkplugs Member Posts: 111
    I think it is a nice little car, but also want it to have a little more power. I wish they would put the 2.4L from the Sonata in it with the 5 speed auto. It would be so much more powerful, quieter and the gas mileage would be at least as good as it is now.
    If you can wait until this fall to buy, I have a hunch the 2010 Elantra and Touring will get an engine upgrade. That is based on a few things: 1) Hyundai typically does a mid-gen refresh after 3 years, and that's 2010 MY for the Elantra; 2) the new Spectra replacement, Forte, has more powerful and economical engines than the Elantra, and Hyundai/Kia have kept Elantra and Spectra pretty even in powertrains in the past; 3) Hyundai is on a push to meet the Fed's fuel economy mandate early, which requires new engines with better fuel economy. Also the old Beta II engine has fallen behind most competitors (including Kia!) in power and fuel economy, which doesn't help sales (note that Elantra sales have been pretty weak lately).
    I've had mine since April and love it with the exception of two things. I wish the interior was grey like our Santa Fe and I wish I would've got the manual. The interior isn't an option, but go for the manual if you do buy. My 7 year old Elantra was manual and I thought I was tired of shifting (have never had an auto). Well, I miss it for situations like you described above- downshifting to 3rd helps a little for passing but to enter traffic from a stop, the 5sp would probably be better. I've totally had to change my driving style. I've never driven a 5 sp touring since there were none available, but I'm guessing it would be an improvement. good luck!! :shades:
    Thanks! This is what the first dealer offered. Still an option. Since I posted, I have re-driven a Matrix with 1.8L Dual VVT-i, 5-speed manual. The Matrix has as good or better acceleration and is MUCH quieter AND is rated for better mileage. Not as fun to toss around, and smaller interior, but nearly silent inside at highway speeds. The Hyundai has a cast iron block and alloy head, and at 3600 RPM it's thrashy. The Toyota 1.8 just isn't. More of a sewing machine. More torque down low than Hyundai's 2.0L as well.

The 2010 Subaru Outback is going to have the CVT Auto. I have seen ratings of 30 mpg highway listed in forums for it. Also a 6-speed manual option. As we're just a few weeks away, I'll be waiting.
    Well,
    We took it for one final test drive today. I had the wife and kids alone in the car and we did highway, hills from a stop, hills at speed and on ramps and off ramps.

I have decided to go for it. The fuel economy and the fact that it's a Hyundai have me sold. Now I just need to test drive the sport model (which none of the local dealers have in stock) and if I like it I will purchase it, if not then I will go back to the base model.

The touring handled everything exceptionally well with the "exception" of the hill from a stop. It made it up the hill OK and it actually shifted into second about half way up the hill but it was near red line to get there. Highway noise and on mostly the kinds of roads that I drive on it was a real pleasure to drive...The engine was not noisy at all even at 3k rpm at 65mph.

Most of my driving will be alone or with me and equipment in the back. So I will actually lose some weight from what I drove today with my everyday driving.

This will be our second hyundai, our first being a 2007 Santa Fe limited which we love.