Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• luvthesunincaluvthesuninca Member Posts: 17
    In LA I cannot get any off MSRP. Looking for Package IV with solar/moonroof package. Anyone in the LA area had any luck?
  • jo2jo2 Member Posts: 41
    I just bought a prius package 4 last night sticker 29,500 from Justin Post at Glendale Toyota last night. They were also offering this deal at Longo Toyota in El Monte by a guy named Derrick Nguyen as well but it was too far to drive. You can easily get the prius at sticker - you just have to shop around. I opted not to get the solar package because its a 3600 option and just shot the monthly up too high.

This was the deal

MSRP 29,500
    12,000 miles/yr
    2500 drive off
    415.00 per month

Some of the items package 4 include were:
    heated seats
    navigation
    bluetooth for phone and ipod streaming
    ipod jack
    integrated XM satellite radio
    voice commands
    leather
    backup camera
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Some “experts” are predicting that RUG will be around $2.00/gal by the end of 2009. If that happens I would expect to see deals on the Prius. For the most part sales of hybrids and diesels are driven by fuel prices.
  • msmortonmsmorton Member Posts: 4
    I live near the bay area can you tell me which dealers and salesperson are 500-1000 off MSRP. Thanks
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    I know that Toy in cerritos is willing to cut $500 off the MSRP. does anyone know if any other in southern CA willing tu cut more than $500? I need pack IV with fully loaded.
    -
    does anyone know if Pruis IV comes with intuitive park assist?? (the option that beeps when you are close to an object). ?
    thanks
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I picked my Prius V w/ NAV up yesterday. I got $500 off MSRP. In addition I got him to throw in a set of all weather mats. The dealership had a promotion going on and I got an 8gb iTouch as well. In all fairness, the $500 off was more of a "buddy" think. I'm a regular customer (bought about 10 Toyota's) and I don't think they are willing to discount just yet. None of the Prius they have received yet have sat on the lot more than 5 days before being sold.

When they called me I was just leaving Walmart where I had bought cleaning supplies and some wax. They had me leave the wax when I went to look at the car and they waxed it for me before delivery the next day.

Credit Union loan for 72 months @ 5%. I'll pay it off way early, but I always get the 72 months to keep the payment down and then pay off chunks when I have money coming in from dividends or when I have some spare cash. The credit union is real convenient to do that with.
    which dealer did you get it from ?
    -
    Lexus is giving big discount off the 09 Lexus IS 250, the prices of IS 250 are pretty much the same as the Prius V and IV packages. I know the are very different, one is hybrid and one is much more luxurious. can someone give me his/her opinion on this? thanks
  • paulsha911paulsha911 Member Posts: 4
    SF Toyota. Ask for Michael Ma. Tell him Paul who ordered the white Prius with dark grey interior sent you. May be he will give me a free key chain. :)
  • windsurferkwindsurferk Member Posts: 5
    My father is about to "trade-in" an old pickup and buy a new Prius. I'm trying to help him with the process and am wondering if anyone can help me figure out how much I should be able to expect to get the dealer to pay me for the scrap value of the vehicle. I know that the vehicle has to be destroyed, but on the Cars.gov website it says:

"No. The law requires your trade-in vehicle to be destroyed. Therefore, the value you negotiate with the dealer for your trade-in vehicle is not likely to exceed its scrap value. The law requires the dealer to disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in vehicle."

Surely the scrap value is worth something. I just don't want to hand that to the dealer. Thanks in advance.
  • thndersnow2thndersnow2 Member Posts: 5
    We tried to negotiate for the scrap value, even printed out the bill and they wouldn't budge, saying that it was not something they could give us. I think after more people approach them with this question they will start giving up on it but since it's still so new, I don't think you can get anywhere with it yet.
    I wouldn't mind having an IS250awd but it's not comparable to a Prius in any way other than they both are transportation. So it depends on what you want.

The Prius is much more roomy inside. I tried sitting in the back of the Lexus when they first came out. I just couldn't do it comfortably, or for that matter gracefully. It's small. But if small kids are all you have maybe that would work. The Prius probably gets double the milage. With the Prius V you're paying for a sporty Prius with hybrid technologh. With the Lexus you're paying for the name and a sporty car. If I was going for a Lexus right now it would be the 250h, but it will be a $40K car.
    Surely the scrap value is worth something. I just don't want to hand that to the dealer. Thanks in advance

Wouldn't want a business to actually turn a profit, would you. Perhaps if you offered to drive the truck to the junk yard and do all the paperwork they may discount that for you.
  • yurkoyurko Member Posts: 24
    I've read all the previous posts and they're interesting. I apologize in advance for asking some questions that are directly pricing or buying experience-related.

I'm quite interested in the 2010 Prius, either the IV or the V version.

(1.) I noticed that the V version, with its 17" tires/wheels, has a slightly wider turning circle than the other versions (36.0 ft curb-to-curb vs. 34.2 ft). The vehicle height and minimum ground clearance are listed the same for all versions. Wouldn't the V version be slightly taller than the other versions and have slightly greater ground clearance? Any opinions on ride/handling characteristics of the V version vs. the others? Is it all "show"....or is there some "go" in the difference?

(2.) Would the V version (with 17" tires/wheels) be expected to get as good mileage as the other versions (with 15" tires/wheels)? If not, why does Toyota not have to list 2 separate sets of EPA figures?

(2.) The solar roof package is unavailable with version V. An early post said this is due to fuel economy, while another post mentioned that Toyota might not want a fully loaded 2010 Prius to be too expensive. Does anybody have any other info on why the solar roof package is unavailable with the V version?

(3.) The LED headlights on the 2010 Prius V version consume about 25% less electricity than the regular halogen headlamps, but does anyone know how these LED headlamps would compare visibility-wise with, say, HID headlamps?.

Thanks.
  • gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    Understand that I am not an authority with inside information on this vehicle, but speaking from experience, -- #1 -- The turning radius increase woud likely be from tire clearance from the wider diameter tire. Turning sharper would cause tire-wheelwell contact. Other things being equal, such as suspension changes, the different wheel sizes would have a minimum effect on ground clearance. The larger wheels (on the same installation) installed by manufacturers will have nominally the same radius/diameter/circumference. That being due to the larger wheel having a lower profile tire. Such as, the rim to road distance is of an equivalent distance as the different wheel radius, or nominally the same tire tread diameter. Again, other things being equal, the larger wheel/lower profile tire should result in better handling and dry road traction, but probably a less supple ride and likely a very slight reduction in fuel economy due to roll resistance. #2 -- The lower profile tire has a larger contact footprint and this type of tire often has better traction design, causing some rolling resistance. Such a change would not likely exceed the rounding of the figures accepted by the EPA tests. Very little differences affect apparent figures when the are as high as the mpg of the Prius. Your second #2 -- Toyota hasn't given much of a position for the Prius V Solar roof item. It migh be total cost, handling balance, or whatever. It may become an enticement later, also. I wouldn't be too concerned about the solar, though. It doesn't get used to charge/augment the battery. It only does some venting of the idled vehicle, as I've read, so it would be a pretty expensive accessory, in my mind. #3 -- We'll have to see. They have to meet standards and they are expensive, so if you want the ultimate in saved electrical energy (& equivilant hybrid electrical performance), they should contribute to that. As a per/headlamp item, I'd expect them to save more than 25%, but overall, the 25% might cover it.

Regards,
    gfr
  • mitridatemitridate Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    has anybody of you an idea, how to update (load revised maps) Prius's Nav equipment software?
    Appreciate your help
    Mitridate
  • yurkoyurko Member Posts: 24
    Thanks a lot, gfr1. I appreciate your answers and comments. And, as you said, the solar roof option has only limited utility, but costs quite a bit.

(A) With respect to the LED headlights on the 2010 Prius V, they're presumably brighter than the standard halogen headlamps on the other versions (II to IV), But does anyone know how LED headlamps' brightness compares with HID (xenon) headlamps?

(B) I live in SET territory in far southwest Florida. Local dealers are pricing the 2010 Prius above MSRP. I've read many positive posts for Fitzmall Toyota in VA and Moll Toyota in MO. Does anyone out there know of customer-friendly dealers closer to my locale?

Thanks.
    has anybody of you an idea, how to update (load revised maps) Prius's Nav equipment software?

You can purchase the latest DVD for the Nav at your dealership (Pretty expensive).
  • javentjavent Member Posts: 1
    Almost ready to buy a 2010 Prius. The difference between a Prius II and a III is a $1k stereo. The Nav package, not available on the II, costs $3.6k and includes the same stereo. Actually a lesser one if you consider swapping a 6 disc changer for a 4 disc. Are they charging twice for the same stereo?
    No, the NAV requires the JBL 4 disc and the "extra" cost is for the added NAV. Everything in the model jumps are just an incremental charge for the extras that are included. There are things included with the NAV/JBL that did not use to be part of the package. The Backup camera being the main feature. Satellite radio reciever is now standard and that was about $400 add on last year.
    I just got my package IV with solar roof for $400 off invoice. Can anyone tell me if there is a way for me to replace the headlight bulbs to make them brighter, like change to Xenon light bulbs ?? is that possible? and if yes, how and where can i go to have that done ? thanks very much.
  • kyeungkyeung Member Posts: 9
    Do you mean $400 off MSRP? May I ask which car dealer and salesman did you buy the car from? Thx.
  • janehondajanehonda Member Posts: 5
    I am in San Diego. Does anyone have any feedback on whether this is a good price? I put a $500 deposit down yesterday and expect to have the car on 7/27.

Thanks!
    I got it from toy of huntington beach in southern ca. the salesman is Matt. I was also offer the same $400 off MSRP from toy of san juan capistrano in CA. also. I know many dealers are willing to offer at least 250 - 500 off the MSRP, especially when you are open to the color, and especially package I, II and III. good luck.
  • adkinsdwadkinsdw Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery of my new Prius IV this morning. Winter Grey Metallic, Dark Grey Leather. Base model, paid the sticker price. Learning the hybrid drive experience now. So far, so good. I was surprised how fun this car is to drive. Drove home on a rural road with lots of twists and turns and was amazed at how the car handles.
    :)
  • sprugg828sprugg828 Member Posts: 1
    I think so...this is almost exactly what I paid in Nebraska for with mats and the "Prius" bumper label. Seems these are "mandatory options" coming directly from Japan that way...so my dealer told me. He wouldn't bargain them down to be gratis add ins nor would he remove the mats and reduce the invoice price. That's why I call them "mandatory options". So yes, a good price from my perspective...not many sub-MSRP deals out there yet on 2010 models.
  • lcrewslcrews Member Posts: 4
    Due to the lower quality interior materials, technology, and design, the price range for a new base model Prius should be about $15,000. It is way overpriced.
    Due to the lower quality interior materials, technology, and design, the price range for a new base model Prius should be about $15,000. It is way overpriced.

Compared to what?
    2009 Harley-Davidson Softail® Night, 1573.2 cc, 54 mpg, price $15,899, which is far better transportation. To its credit, the Prius is a step above a golf cart.
    this is a RIDICULOUS comparation. Apple and orange.
    have you thought about the fatal possibility in a auto collision between a Harley and a car ?
  • carsh0pprcarsh0ppr Member Posts: 3
    Maybe we should stick to the prices paid for new 2010 Prii and ignore the troll. I'm enthused by the less than MSRP prices people are getting!
  • gmail10010gmail10010 Member Posts: 5
    We got the Bliazzard Pearl White Prius II for $369 below MSRP plus $99 processing fee, plus tax and tag fees from Fitzgerald Toyota in Gaithersburg MD. The price they have online is the price you pay. They're selling all Prius they've in stock for $369 below MSRP.
  • knopflerknopfler Member Posts: 2
    Though this is certainly hyperbole, I do think there is some truth to it. The Pruis is on par of the build quality of the Matrix with an expensive hybrid powertrain. They are optioning this car like a Porsche, and when you are suddenly looking at $30k because you want options like leather seats and navigation all of a sudden you're in TSX and A4 territory. I can't justify the 10k spread in options as everything is basically a bolt on creature comfort. Considering the big depreciation hit you take from things like nav and lights, I'd stick with the low end model.
  • danaeddanaed Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Prius III Winter Gray for $1,100 under Sticker. I bought it on June 30th. The dealer was Copeland Toyota in Brockton Mass.
  • donewithvwsdonewithvws Member Posts: 47
    danaed - i am in the market for a III too in your area and have had no luck. i emailed the copeland dealership for a quote and never heard back. can you tell me how you came about such a great discount? who was your salesperson?? i am interested in the III with nav and maybe the solar package and have heard whispers that they are a few months out but not sure how true that is. any buying advice is appreciated!!
    Though this is certainly hyperbole, I do think there is some truth to it. The Pruis is on par of the build quality of the Matrix with an expensive hybrid powertrain. They are optioning this car like a Porsche, and when you are suddenly looking at $30k because you want options like leather seats and navigation all of a sudden you're in TSX and A4 territory. I can't justify the 10k spread in options as everything is basically a bolt on creature comfort. Considering the big depreciation hit you take from things like nav and lights, I'd stick with the low end model.

The same can be said of an A4 optioned out. A loaded one will approach the next level of luxury. Low end models always hold their value better but some people like options regardless of the car they choose. A stripped Prius has little appeal to many of us that want 50 mpg but don't want to give up features. I looked at an A4 before I bought the Prius. It's a lot smaller car than the Prius as far as seating. I couldn't even get into the rear seat without hurting myself. One try and I took it off my short list. The Prius offers flexibility the A4 cannot approach.
  • danaeddanaed Member Posts: 2
    I went to Copeland and Tafunkjian in Brantree. They both seemed willing to come down. I had bought my last two Toyotas from Copeland and it was the end of the month right after they came out. I bought one of the models that was on the lot. No special orders. I don't have the Nav though. It sounds like you're looking for the IV. Call Franko at Copeland. Tell him I sent you.
  • dealgirldealgirl Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I also am in the market for a Prius II. You paid $22,389.00 out the door? May I ask what all did you get on it? I was thinking about adding the security system and floor mats, thats it. You paid the sales tax once you got back to your state of residence?
  • beyondobeyondo Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a 2010 Prius Package II the day I called from Luther Toyota (Golden Valley). The car cost me (incl destination): $22,650. Tax, title and doc fee was extra. I got 4.19% financing for 48 months with some haggling. They offered no discounts other than $300 for every car that day, and nothing for cash vs financing. But, it was a good experience and I was amazed they had a car in stock for immediate delivery. Almost everyone else said it was 2-4 weeks wait.
    I live in Minnesota, so I paid 6.5% tax on the $22,650. I also paid the local title/doc fees. Total cost including all taxes and fees etc. was $24,500 or so.
    I forgot to add that the car has a security system and the Package II has nice floor mats. The MSRP was $22,950 (it included the floor mats for $200).
  • looking4priulooking4priu Member Posts: 1
    Went to Gatorland Toyota in Gainesville today to see about a Prius. They are marking them way up. They are adding a $5,000 mark up. The Prius II they had was priced at $29,0000! I told them I wanted to buy one but I would not pay that price. I quoted the $22,750 that I got from Edmunds and they said "Edmunds doesn't know anything". I'm willing to pay a little over MSRP but not $29,000 for a Prius II. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal in Florida?
  • psu77psu77 Member Posts: 13
    Go to Earl Stewart Toyota at West Palm Beach. He sells them for MSRP with no dealer processing fees and no dealer add ons. I bought mine there with zero issues and I was in and out in 45 minutes.
  • sunnygirl8sunnygirl8 Member Posts: 1
    i didnt know where to put this.
    but is it worth the 3000 or more for the solar roof?
    the commericals look so good, but has anyone gotten it?

also, has anyone gotten any good deals in texas. i live in houston, and no one here is willing budge on the prices..

any help will be appreicated
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    I live in Sacramento. I sent an email to SF Toyota and got a quote of II, $450 below MSRP. MSRP is $23170, quoted price is $22720. I guess that is not bad. Now I will ask local dealers to beat that.
  • Gatorfan123Gatorfan123 Member Posts: 37
    Go to Deluca Toyota in Ocala or Coggin Toyota in Jacksonville. Both places are selling the car for MSRP. Actually, their are two sitting on the lot at Deluca Toyota in Ocala, and I got the impression those could be had for a little bit of discount.
    that is ridiculous $5000 over MSRP. the car is good but I would not pay anything over MSRP. I suggest you find another dealer or wait a little longer. I know you are in Florida and I am in California but they are selling below MSRP in Cali. I just got a pack IV fully loaded for $30200, which is $400 off the MSRP. I could have got at least a couple hundred more off but because I want white and it is a hard color to get so I had to go with only $400 off. good luck.
    I find it amusing that you are easily distracted by your political views (and you call me a troll). I owned 6 cars while in Europe that got over 50 mpg. I paid less than $10,000 for each car. My brother had an engineer that he worked with at TWA who built a turbine engine that he put in a full sized car (back in the days when a full sized car was considerably larger). It generated excessive amounts of energy that he placed on the local power grid. While hooked up to his house current, it caused his power meter to go in the negative direction. The power company owed him money each month.

The Studebaker was an outstanding automobile and the design of the Avanti was far superior to the designs of today. The reason that it did not sell was union corruption at the Molded Fiberglass Products Company in Ashtabula, Ohio, and the price. Unfortunately, at $6,000 virtually no one wanted one. Hummm, at that price, I would buy two and my wife would be thrilled with her silver and gray hair blowing in the wind.
  • kyeungkyeung Member Posts: 9
    Hi tyler70,

May I ask if you got a Prius IV with the SR package? Thx.
    Hi Kyeung
    yes, mine comes with SR roof and Navi in white and beige interior.. I had to search a long time for that color. If you are getting the SR, I recommend getting white exterior becasue black SR and white looks really nice. good luck
  • donewithvwsdonewithvws Member Posts: 47
    I am wondering about the solar roof too...I know it cools down the vehicle but does it slide open like normal moonroofs??

You do have to keep in mind that the solar package also comes with a really nice navigation system with voice recognition... so you have to take that into account with the extra 3600

I just got a quote of 25k (including 2300 for my trade-in so really 27300) on a Prius 2010 IV with solar/nav package and the all weather mats package. The only catch is its a demo model with 1000 miles on it already. Anyone know if this is a good deal??

I was originally looking at III's for the cost savings but when every dealer told me there was 6-12 week wait I kind of stopped looking because I need a new car asap. Also, most dealers were quoting me sticker, even the internet sales people which usually have more room to come down. But when this demo model turned up and was available immediately and seemed to be less than sticker of 30,429, I thought maybe I should jump on it...

Can anyone tell me if I'm getting a good deal?? I put a deposit down and I'm waiting to see if I'm approved for cash for clunkers which should knock another 4500 off, bringing my price down to 20, 500 before taxes/fees.

If it doesn't pass, I have to pay the 25k, or I can get my deposit back and move on...is this demo model worth it??