Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• kemahjaykemahjay Member Posts: 3
    After more research, I see that you are correct, it is very much in demand. It also seems like the better "deals" are on the Prius III and IV with less room for negotiation on the more basic II. The particular salesman who told me that the price was a "Toyota edict" also had an approach that really put me off.

However, I got an Internet quote from another dealership, and the salesperson there was very professional and helpful. I picked up a new Prius II four days ago. The price was what this site and others indicated was good though not a steal. The transaction was all set up by e-mail, the car was set aside for me as it came off the ship in the port here in Houston and only had 3 miles on the odometer. The whole process took less than two hours including a test drive and a trade in evaluation during what seemed to be a busy day at this dealer.

Have driven the Prius 230 miles in mixed city and freeway commuting and the computer says I have gotten 51.3 mpg. We are very happy with it, and the sales experience ( at Fred Hass Toyota World, Houston, TX).
  • chomerjchomerj Member Posts: 10
    Supply and demand? Of course! Toyota edict? Fuggedaboutit!!
  • johnsducatiiijohnsducatiii Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a Prius IV with the solar roof in the Atlanta area. Found a couple in local dealer inventories that appear to be a little less than $32,500. Any thoughts on what would be a good price? Thanks.
  • telugodu1telugodu1 Member Posts: 4
    Is 21,588.00( plus TTL) a good price for Prius II?
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    I paid 500 under MRSP (31495-500=30975 plus TTL) with free window tinting and floor mats for a 2010 Prius IV with solar roof. I love in South Florida but somehow found one without the 700 Toyoguard package.

Minimal negotiations. I probably could have done better but I hate dealing with the dealers. I wish they did it like Carmax with no haggle pricing.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I wish they did it like Carmax with no haggle pricing.

Yeah, it's called sticker ;) .
  • snowcrash1snowcrash1 Member Posts: 11
    OTD $30,700 in Virginia.

Tax in Virginia is $941.27.

Is this a good price?
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    How much was the total price? I live in LA and want to buy Prius II

Thanks
  • h3595h3595 Member Posts: 3
    2010 TOYOTA PRIUS II: $23,480OTD (MD)

2010 TOYOTA PRIUS III: $24,580 OTD (MD)

Thanks!
  • sl168sl168 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking for a Prius in the Sunnyvale/San Jose Area before end of year. Have you bought your Prius yet? - SL168
  • leodude121leodude121 Member Posts: 3
    No. Most of the dealers dont have a III without Nav or II in stock.
    How about you? Any luck? Let me know what is the OTD they are quoting for you.
    Putnam Toyota quoted a basic Prius II with mats at 23350. This is close to 1000 over the MSRP. They have it available. Most other dealers are quoting prices way over the MSRP with different upgrade packages which I do not want. Did you get any quotes below MSRP.
  • leodude121leodude121 Member Posts: 3
    That is [non-permissible content removed]. you should be able to get quotes for 23500 for a III.
    Tell them you had a friend buy from some random dealer ship for that price... I got a quote from Palo Alto for 23590 for a III
    You are right. I just got a quote for a basic Prius II from Stevens Creek at 22,500 + fees.
  • sammy46sammy46 Member Posts: 1
    I have visited two Toyota dealers in Fort Lauderdale area today, they were closed so I window shopped. At both dealers they had a $5,000 markup added. What is a realistic OTD price to pay for a 2010 Prius II in my area?
    Try Truecar.com. Base PII is pricing at 22725 in Ft lauderdale
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I have visited two Toyota dealers in Fort Lauderdale area today, they were closed so I window shopped. At both dealers they had a $5,000 markup added. What is a realistic OTD price to pay for a 2010 Prius II in my area?

Very simple solution: turn around and walk away from those dealers. Keep shopping and shoot for at least $400 under MRSP, but don't pay more than MSRP.
  • devil_bostondevil_boston Member Posts: 1
    Just strike one yesterday, basic, prius II, MSRP 23 something, special ad $19988.00, plus tax, $1250.00, title: $125.00 and document $298.00. I bought a guide point to protect from theft.
    I just signed a deal with Sunnyvale Toyota for a Prius III for 23,292 (tax and fees not included). The negotiation was done over the internet. Those guys were quite friendly and did not sell me other things I do not need. The only thing they talked about at the end was the prepaid Toyota scheduled maintenance services at $1,595 for up to 55K miles. At face value, it looks reasonable based on on-going dealer service rates. Any comments on this program?
    Other message boards generally indicate it is NOT a good deal. It also appears that you paid full price for this package. Do a google search to learn more.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    $1,595 for up to 55K miles. You should have them break out exactly what that means. If it's just oil changes and tire rotations then it's not worth it. But if they're going to change air filters (including cabin filter), fuel filters and some other stuff then maybe.
  • h3595h3595 Member Posts: 3
    devil_boston:

What's your final price for Prius II withouth the antitheft device? Thanks!

Don
  • pepper14pepper14 Member Posts: 5
    Just leased a 2010 Prius IV from Toyota of Santa Monica.

Black with dark gray leather interior. Solar sunroof with navigation. Floor and cargo mats. Rear bumper applique. MSRP $31.499. Invoice $29,556. Agreed upon value: $28, 369.12. Gross capitalized cost: $29,239.12 (agreed upon plus $650 acquisition fee and $220 for tinting windows, which they threw-in for free at end). Residual value: $19,839. M.F.: .00265

36 months, 12K miles per year. $2900 drive-off ($1896.01 cap cost reduction, $365.99 1st month, $395 title, reg, lic fees, $184.86 tax on cap cost reduction, $45 doc prep fee, $8.75 CA tire fee, $4.59 tax on doc fee). $365.99 per month (including tax).
  • jimbochamjimbocham Member Posts: 2
    FYI bought a PRIUS III Blizzard Pearl + Bisque with the following packages
    O3 - Owners Reward (Leather + Premium mats + ...)
    P4 - Vehicle Shield Package
    DS - Door Sill Enhancements
    DG - Color Keyed Door edge guards.

MSRP 26,900 - negotiated down to 25,300 + TTL in Weatherford, Tx (Durant Toyota). I live in dallas but had to travel out as the color was just not available comparably equipped anywhere in Dallas.
  • folksterfolkster Member Posts: 3
    Hi all! Just got home from Toyota Place in Garden Grove, CA with a Prius II with mats and the stupid rear bumper applique. The MSRP was $23639 and I got it for $22500 plus tax and license. It came out to just under $25K OTD (after 8.75% tax). If you have less than perfect credit, try to find a loan elsewhere. My credit union is giving me 7%, but they offered me 13.9%!! It seems like people in the north east or northern part of the country get better pricing. In Southern California, the prices aren't as low. After researching for a couple of months, getting $1,139 off MSRP seemed to be my best offer. I almost gave in and went for a III with navi. I was offered $25,343 (down from $26,749) at Toyota of Orange. Hope this helps 'cause I went to this site a lot in the last month!
  • infoliterateinfoliterate Member Posts: 1
    Happy Holidays! Just got a Prius II without dealer-installed alarm (i.e. Karr) or extended warranty at $20,995.00 b4 taxes & fees. Had only dealer-installed floor mats and trunk cover. Decided to add extra alarm system (outside manufacturer immobilizer key system) and extended warranty later b/c dealers were charging $800.00 & $1800.00 respectively. Worked with two local competing internet sales managers (Pacific Beach & El Cajon) by email and phone to get this price for an in-stock car. Corresponded also with 10 other San Diego dealers, but none wanted to negotiate below $22,000.00 before taxes & fees. Didn't get first choice in color (blue) and ended up with choice of either black, silver or white. Definitely happy paying less than $23,500.00 with taxes and fees. :)
  • Sunny369Sunny369 Member Posts: 11
    Just got a Prius III w/ Blizzard Pearl exterior and Bisque interior on New Year's Eve day at $22,700 before tax and fees. I didn't have any extra things in my pkg III (no Nav, no solar roof). I live in Seattle area, but I ended up getting my Prius at Ron Tonkin in Portland. They offered the lowest price and no other Seattle area dealers were willing to match it. I didn't get the extended warranty, since the lowest price I found online is slightly over $1,000 and I don't think I need to use financing to get it now.

I have driven it for two days now and really like it! It is so quiet and I do need to be careful in case bicyclists and pedestrians couldn't hear me. Now the only thing I need to work on is to get rid of the new car smell. I really don't like the new car smell like other people do. Anyone knows the best way to get rid of it?
  • hdfanatichdfanatic Member Posts: 4
    Paid $22500 for Prius II. Spoke with internet sales at Community Toyota in Baytown and said I wanted it for $22500. They said they would do it. Walked in and drove out in no time. It only had floor mats and some paint protectant package. Sticker was $23748. Price with TTL and fees was $24278. 6.25% tax in Texas.
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    I also live in LA and I got my Prius IV from Toyota in Ontario. Speak to the fleet manager there. He was easy to work with and I paid $1500 below MSRP.

I suggest you research the invoice price on the car you're interested in so that you know your prices before you call. I did my deal by the telephone over 2 days and then went to Ontario to pick up the car. Once I was there, the car was everthing the fleet manager said it was along with the agreed price. Good luck!
    looks like you got an awesome deal! I am getting around 25k quotes from the most dealers in SoCal.

Can you please mention if your III package has navi? what color and do you remember the milage on the car when you bought it? Any extras that dealer threw into it?

Thanks
    This is the basic Prius III with floor and trunk mats. Delivery included. No navi package. Actually we had to wait for 4 days for the car to come off a shipment from Japan. 4 miles on the car upon delivery. The color is blue with gray interior.
    I am getting a quote of $24,900 + ta. xes. Is it a good price in SoCal?
  • jimbochamjimbocham Member Posts: 2
    $1300 off MSRP is a very good price IMHO
  • ramblinwreck85ramblinwreck85 Member Posts: 17
    I have an offer for a 2010 Prius III with Carpet/Trunk Mats, Toyoguard Plus Protection Group-XY70, and Navigation Package for $27,202 drive-out (6% tax). I believe this is a good deal for this car. Thoughts? :)
  • folksterfolkster Member Posts: 3
    Looks like infoliterate seemed to have gotten the best deal. $20995 for a Prius II? That's fantastic!! That's so good that I don't even know if I can believe it - over a $2000 savings on a base model. Congrats and hopefully others can get a similar deal!
  • mdxlovermdxlover Member Posts: 18
    Hi Gurus, I am looking to buy Prius II base model in CT and NY area. Please let me know the best deal and name of the dealership if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.
  • bad1550bad1550 Member Posts: 27
    I am considering a 2010 Prius III base. I have been working with dealers to buy back my leased 2009 Honda Civic LX and the buyout is $15,700.

I received offers from $13,500 to the best price of $15,100 which would be considered a trade and I would pay difference. I was quoted a monthly payment of $372 for 75 months at 6.5% interest.

Is this a fair deal considering I will be driving approx 40K miiles per year so a leased vehicle would not work for me.

Thx,

Bob
  • mike21mike21mike21mike21 Member Posts: 3
    Getting either a Prius or an Odyssey (don't ask...). Looking at the 2010 V NAV/AY (advanced tech) for $31.6 with destination but w/o D+T+L - which to me looks like near invoice. What am I missing here?
  • dragongzdragongz Member Posts: 19
    hello infoliterate,

Happy new year!!!! I am in orange county, Can I have your salesman information. Want the same deal too. my email is kanley1@yahoo.com.

Thank you so much
    Dragongz
  • ickick Member Posts: 17
    Can you send that fleet manager's contact info to me? I want the same model without Nav. Thanks much!!!
    ck
  • scklingsckling Member Posts: 6
    Total OTD for my Prius II Blizzard Pearl was $23467 ($350 title/reg fee + $55 doc fee + 9.75% LA county tax). Fleet manger's name is Hiwa from Toyota of El Cajon. Good luck!
  • ickick Member Posts: 17
    Didn't you get a Prius IV from Toyota in Ontario? I am confused...
    Is the following message from you? I need the fleet manager's contact.... thanks much! (I am forst timer here... forgive me if I am dump...)

"
    I also live in LA and I got my Prius IV from Toyota in Ontario. Speak to the fleet manager there. He was easy to work with and I paid $1500 below MSRP.

I suggest you research the invoice price on the car you're interested in so that you know your prices before you call. I did my deal by the telephone over 2 days and then went to Ontario to pick up the car. Once I was there, the car was everthing the fleet manager said it was along with the agreed price. Good luck! "
    Guys,
    For Prius II with floor mats, I got a quote of $22,820 + tax + title + reg. Or $259.10 / month for 12K miles / 36 month lease with $2500 cap reduction.

Do you think its a good deal?

And typicaly how much is the discount for Costco Car buying program would give?

Thanks in advance.
    Where are you? I just got a Prius III with floor mats in Portland, OR for $22,700 before tax.

I also tried Costco Car buying program and it didn't help much. It assigned me a really bold dealership in Bellevue downtown and the Costco membership price they offered was about 600 more than the price I got.
    Thanks for the helpful info Sunny369, I am in Danbury,CT. This is my first quote. I will explore more. Any one from NY / CT area please let me know your experience on Prius II.

Thanks in advance.
    $22700 seems an awesome quote, Southern California dealers say their invoice is 24715 and hold back is 315. I dont think anyone in SoCal can offer this kind of numbers!
  • mpd2mpd2 Member Posts: 12
    Hey Sunny369,

I'm in the Seattle area and exploring new car options. All the dealers in Seattle are way overpriced. Just curious about your purchase in Oregon.

Did you tell the OR dealers you were from Seattle? My concern is they will try to "bait" you with a low price, but when you make the 3hr drive down, they'll add on a bunch of crap to raise the price.

Did you drive the car home the same day? What did you do regarding the lack of sales tax in OR? From what I understand, you have to pay WA tax on the car.

What about repair/maintenence stuff? Do you have to drive down to OR to get it serviced?
  • telugodu1telugodu1 Member Posts: 4
    Total OTD was 22,420. (21,588.00 + title and tax)
    Yes, I told them I am from Washington and I did pay for the tax.(Oregon dealers will calculate tax for you depending on which county you are from in Washington)Tax wasn't my issue and I just wanted to get the lowest price. Since I needed to pay a visit to Portland during holidays, so I had to drive down anyways. I was afraid that they could "bait" me to go down, but then I asked them to show me a printout of all the breakdowns and the final OTD price. So that was the exactly same price I end up paying.

I didn't get any extended warranty or service pkg. And for manufacturer's warranty, I don't think it is limited to the dealer who sell you the car.
  • sv996rsv996r Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am looking into getting a Prius III with nav. Can you let me know the dealer and any other info. You can also email me at ponchofever@yahoo.com.
    Thanks