Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited January 2014 in Toyota
Share your next generation Prius shopping experiences here!

Comments

• roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    I think price for 2010 Prius is pretty reasonable that dealers would mark it up. I plan to get a option II after sunner, hope I can get it close to, if not below, 22k.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    My dealer called to say he had pricing on the 2010 Prius. He is to send it to me at my home email tonight.
    You're in luck. I believe the Prius II will have a MSRP of $22,000 (includes shipping)

And the Prius I will be $21,000 and available later this fall
    My dealer was wrong. The price did not include shipping. Here's Toyota's link just out on pricing of the 2010 Prius. I'm in the process of trying to get a 2010 Blue Ribbon Prius V + NAV

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-prices-for-2010-89249- .aspx
    ..on a Prius V, Blue Ribbon w/ tan leather and NAV! Hopefully early June
  • luvthesunincaluvthesuninca Member Posts: 17
    Yep. Me too! I wonder if the colors are the same
    I woulod assume the Blue Ribbon is the same color as the Camry's Blue Ribbon.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    My Toyota dealer (small town, low volume) advised me that Toyota was delaying shipment for several months of the 2010 Prius. Anyone else hear that, or have any information?
    He may not have an allocation, being a small dealer, but they are already on the boat and showing up in the computers according to PriusChat
    Thanks, I had hoped they would not be delayed .... That is why I stated it was small town and low volume dealer.

There are large dealers in the area, and I will check with them.
    As much as I would like to have one as soon as they come out, my small dealer is not sure when his allocation will arrive. He has put in for my preferred package, but to get it exactly I may have to be patient. I don't really want to go to a large dealer, I am willing to wait to give these guys my business locally.
    Truthfully, I can wait also. But I have a hunch that gasoline prices are going to take a major hike soon (the only way congress can get us to buy "green.") I have not yet driven a Prius, so it is all a bit speculative at this time. The dealer has several 2009's, but there are features about the 2010 I like.

Thanks again.
    I have experience driving the HH and TCH so the system is familiar. My neighbor has two and I've followed blogs closely, but still I had never driven a Prius. So I drove a 2009 last week just to see if I could consider it, knowing the new one should handle and ride a little differently with the 17" wheels and stiffer shocks. The deep windshield will probably be the thing that takes the most getting used to. I found it to be roomy, but the 2010 will have less leg room in the back. However I just need to put two car seats in the back 99% of the time (grandkids) so the Highlander Hybrid will serve as transportation when there are more than 2 adults.

Considering why I'm buying it I found no reason not to want the 2010 model
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Joe, the MSRP on the Prius II is $22000 prior to shipping and handling and excluding mats of any kind. I'm estimating that the II model will be right at $23000 or slightly above.
    Some are here already on the W Coast. I believe that the EC vessel arrives around 5-29 then add a couple of weeks to the stores.
    You know me, I'm looking for a Prius V with Nav. I caught myself looking at the CTS again today so the Prius needs to come soon.
  • shay2shay2 Member Posts: 9
    Seems to be a glut of 2009 Prius in Northern California. Dealer told me they already had deposits on 75. Also said that toyota was going to slowly release them to keep up the "anticipation"
    Word out on PriusChat is they will all go on sale the first of June rather than trickle in and hit the streets. Perhaps every state or large city should have a BBQ party on the evening of June 1st after everyone picks up thier car from the first shipments. Everyone could come out together on that first day and see all the different colors and features.
  • civicbuyercivicbuyer Member Posts: 7
    Hello -- I had a great experience here about 4 years ago getting help with buying my Civic. Now I'm back and thinking of getting a Prius now that they have a 0% deal and WA state tax exemption going. Last time was the first time I'd ever bought a new car, so I still have questions!

I may only want to buy the car at this time if I can get the 0% deal. If I can't get it, I'd prefer to wait awhile and look at my other options. My husband and I both have excellent credit, so I'm thinking if anyone can qualify, it should be us. How soon am I able to find out if I would qualify? Last time, financing was almost the last thing to happen. I called around to get quotes, then went down to test drive the car and spent some time waiting around for the finance guy to try and sell me all his junk. :) I was prepared with my own financing which they were able to beat.

Also, I'm wondering: Do you suppose they only offer these 0% deals when the rest of the deal works for them -- i.e. purchase price? If I haggle the price down far enough, will they suddenly say "Ooooh sorry, no 0% for you" ? Seems logical (though disappointing).

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance!
    The 0% is from Toyota Finance not the dealer. I see no reason from what you've said to think you wouldn't qualify. Visit the dealer strike the deal and follow the process. You can always walk out.
    As wvgasguy noted that financing offer comes from Toyota Financial Services/Toyota Motor Sales.

It gives the buyers the option of a $1000 rebate OR 0% financing for 60 days, but not both AND it applies only to the remaining 2009 models currently in stock...not the 2010 models soon to arrive.

If you want one you shop and haggle and decide soon. Whatever models are left on the lots are the last ones so your choices might be limited
    Sounds good -- I'm on it today...

See, I learn something new with each car-buying experience -- you're saying there may only be a conflict when these special offers come from the dealer in particular -- not the manufacturer?

Thanks!
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Civic,

Good luck and make it fun!

Call the finance department and ask them what credit score is needed to qualify for the 0%. If you fall in the window, you're good to go.

The reason I'm posting is to remind you and anyone else,

"Be prepared for the Finance Manager calling the following morning telling you the loan did not go through". They will usually try to extract additional interest from you.

ie: 2.9%, 3.9%, 4.9% etc. If they try this on you. Tell the Finance guy you will be returning the vehicle in 10 minutes. He will call back and tell you the loan was approved.

Same thing applies when negotiating the initial deal with finance. They will tell you, "you qualify for a higher rate" to feel you out. If you take the bait, they win!

Have a copy of your credit score before ever entering a dealership!
    A lot of what you mentioned is old stuff.

Yes everyone should have a good knowledge of their personal credit score, but see below*. The procedures in the Toyota system are simple. Your Fico score falls into different 'tiers'. If your score is Tier 3 and higher you automatically qualify for the 0%....providing your debt to income level is not out of whack. This is a new requirement for nearly all banks.

*We had two married military officers both with FICO scores over 700 but every scrap of credit was maxxed out. They had a Hummer and I believe a Bimmer on credit and they wanted to buy a Corolla for their daughter. No bank or lender would accept the loan. This is the new 'make or break' criteria.

*A lady with a 750 score had bills totalling $5500 a month and wanted to finance a new Sequoia for $750 a month. Her stated monthly income was $3000!!! In the past before the credit crisis she would have been approved in a heartbeat. Now no bank would take the loan.
    Thanks to both of you -- I did give my local dealer a call to ask about the tiers, and it looks like we'll be fine. I'll post back to let you know how it goes if/when it's all done. This web site is so helpful :)
  • archer1archer1 Member Posts: 4
    Well I did it. I bought my Prius tonight. I made an offer of $21,000 plus taxes out the door on a #2 package to my local dealer. They said they would take it with $399.00 dealer handling fees added on. I turned it down and said I would shop around. The first delaer I called in Denver "Go Toyota" said yes and I had a short but pleasant buying experience. the MSRP on my Prius is $24568.00. They sold it for $3568.00 below sticker. I financed through my own bank and was given a 4.99% rate (fair). I then put 200 miles on my new car tonight, mostly highway and the onboard computer read 43 MPG average. My average speed was between 70 and 75 mph. So far I could not be happier. My other vehicle is a 2006 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge diesel. It will be spending alot of time parked from now on on!!!!!
    Great job and good negotiating. That fuel economy is pretty typical right out of the box for highway speeds of 70-75 mph. There's a 5000 mi and a 10000 mi 'breakin' ( nothing that you have to do ) and familiarity issues that will increase your FE values up to the 45-50 mpg range.

Your net after about a year's driving should be in the 47-49 mpg range.
    I've got inquiries out to several dealerships -- sent them late last night. So far I've only heard from 3 with actual information. I'm also looking for a Package 2, (flexible on color), and the lowest price I've gotten them to quote is $23,888. Planning to do the 0%, so no cash back offer. I am still hoping to get it for under $23,000, but many of the sales people have written that they are unwilling to "take a loss" since there are so few left and the new ones are coming very soon. The invoice, destination and package 2 come to $22,666 according to Edmunds, and the Edmunds TMV is $23,262. (I offered $22,500.)

I'm in Seattle, and I think they are pretty popular around here. Wonder if my timing is not so great or if it's a combination of factors. Or maybe this is just part of the runaround? It is still early in the day.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
    they are unwilling to "take a loss" since there are so few left and the new ones are coming very soon.

LOL, that's funny. I can understand them not wanting to take a loss, but I can't imagine them not wanting to clear the lot before the 2010 hits their dealership. having a 2010 sitting beside a 2009 will not be a good selling point for the old ones.
    Yeah, I must say this is definitely different than 4 years ago when I bought our Civic... It was easy to get a price over the phone, and I got it for very close to invoice vs. this which is over $1k above it. And the salespeople seem almost... standoffish. Definitely irritated. Maybe they figure they have so few left that they can easily sell it to someone who's not doing quite as much research?

We'll see! I've been without a car for 8 months, so if this doesn't work out, I will live.
    It is ironic that they will tell some people they want to move the 09's to make room for the 2010's and then tell people when they get there that they have so few that they don't need to discount them. Right now the lots are bare in a lot of dealerships because production has been cut. The truth though is that production is cut because cars are not selling. It's a catch 22 but it should be working in favor of the consumer rather than the dealer.
    The sales manager just called me to go over the spec for my preference. He said he had to get it ready tonight as it has to be turned in by tomorrow AM!

I joked with him and asked him what ship is coming in. I had told him about the link I found on PriusChat showing the GPS locations of the ships. He said, I may be able to find out if indeed he gets an allocation. :)

It's a smaller dealership and while they wouldn't get a large allocation if any at all, I know that when they got my 07 TCH in, it came in the first shipment in West Virginia and I had a VIN ending with 0579. I'm hopeful he will be as lucky this time. However if he can't get what I want or fairly close I will wait since I plan to own this a while and want it pretty much like I've spec'ed.

2010 Prius V
    Blizzard White
    Beige / sand leather
    Navigation System
    All Weather Floor and cargo mats

Heading to Ocean City next week. Maybe I can keep my mind off of it. I want it to come in, but not while I'm gone :(
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    hi Archer: did you buy the 2009 or 2010? how was the drive, was it powerful enough or was it too weak? was it rough? I have never driven a hybid. is it similiar to a civic or corolla ? I really like the MPG on this car and the price seems reasonable; i am just concerned about the power and rough drive. also what is the warranty on the hybrid parts such as battery? I heard replacing battery on hybrid are very expensive and wonder what the warranty is on battery? thanks
    A hybrid like the Prius is smoother and larger than a Corolla or Civic. The Corolla and Civic are 'torquier' if you step on it but the Prius seems more powerful ( 115,000 mi and counting ).

The ride is more basic than most midsized sedans but somewhat better than the compact cars.

There is no need EVER to replace the hybrid battery....EVER! In both the Toyotas and the Fords these batteries are running upwards of 250,000 to 350,000 miles without replacement. In fact no one has been able to determine when and if they ever wear out. 500,000 mi? 700,000 mi No one has reached those levels yet.

The warranty depends in which state you buy the vehicle and where you live.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Hi Civic,

Your timing couldn't be any better. I looked at numerous dealer sites in the Seattle area and all seem to have a good inventory on hand. I've also been looking in NorCal for the same.

I saw a Belleview Area dealer with 45 - 50 on hand. NorCal is loaded with excess 09's.

Try sending an email to all the dealers within 75 miles and tell them exactly how much you will pay for an 09 Prius.

I've been hitting dealer lots (twice weekly) in the NorCal area for a month. I have never seen more then 3 car buyers at any time during this period. Additonally, I hit Honda, VW and Accura as well since they are all together. The same Prius cars are still unsold with the exception of 1. Cars are sitting, really!

There are far more Prius' sitting on lots, back lot's and on boats in the Long Beach harbor then most people realize.

If I were ready to buy an 09, I'd be offering 21,000 (max) for the package 2. Once the 2010's come out, it will be less. IMO!

If this doesn't work you can alway's go up on your offer. The car will still be there.

Toyota was late in cutting back production on the 09 when (shtf) they profited during the gas hike. They were building and selling during that time.

This is a great (maybe greatest) time to by a Prius!
    that might be the case in North Cal. however, the inventory in the south cal is smaller. I just came back from a Toyota in Garden Grove and they have none of the Prius, and 2010 models are not here yet. she said when the 2010 come, they expect to tell then over the MSRP, or at least non-negotiatble off the MSRP. I wonder if they production will be higher at the end of the year. ?? If they are willing to negotiate off the MSRP, then I will consider but if they are not, I will consider going to another Make. I am thinking about a non-hybrid, Lexus RX 350. It is a very nice case, just the price is apprx 10k higher, but if Prius sells over the MSRP, then they are going to loose my sell.
    We are the largest Prius retailer in our region by a 4:1 ratio and we're down to our last five 09 units. The problem here will be lack of inventory.

When the '10s arrive here they are either preordered or will snapped up quickly. The lots here will be devoid of Prius' until Toyota can fill the pipeline with the '10s.

BTW...the first one(s) in NA was delivered to buyers yesterday in the Portland OR area.
    can you or anyone tell me if 2010 prius comes in with the Technology package + solar sunroff + navigation package begether ??? I looked on line and it does not seem it comes in that combination. also, i am in southern CA. what is the manufacture warranty on hybrid battery and components?? is it 8yrs/ 100k or 10yrs / 150k ?? some said 100k others said 150k in california. also does anyone know if 2010 comes with wood grain option?
    The Prius V can be ordered ...
    with no options
    with the Navi alone
    with the Adv Tech + Navi package

Toyota decided for fuel economy reasons not to offer the Sunroof in the Prius V.

If you are in So Cal then your warranty on the hybrid system is 10 years or 150,000 miles. The 16 other states that follow the CARB rules also have this same warranty. The other states that follow the EPA regs only require 8 yr or 100,000 mile warranties on the hybrid system.

There will be no wood grain option from the factory.
  • pragmatist1pragmatist1 Member Posts: 26
    Planning on getting a 2010 Prius II in CT area. Anyone with any info on prices? I'm reading on Prius Chat about people paying list, plus bogus "dealer prep" fees, even mandatory, expensive service contracts.
    A dealer can always require you to pay over MSRP if they want; you have the right to walk away. But I've never seen a mandatory service contract mentioned by anyone.

If they pressure you to buy a Toyota service or warranty contract they can be cancelled.
    You're obviously not ready to buy. The only differences in the level are options so no one else can really tell you what you want. The level V adds 17" wheels, fog lights and LED headlights to the level IV package. The level IV package is where you take the biggest leap up from the base units and it adds leather.

If the $30K you mention on the V is MSRP then it probably has the navigation system. If it's MSRP that's as good as it gets right now.

There are excellent buys on the Gen2 Prius currently as most consider the Gen3 a significant step up. If however you simply want cheap reliable transportation then the last model will be a bargan.

Check out Toyota.com for the build options in your area as different regions in the US only get cars packaged with specific option combinations.
  • stefhstefh Member Posts: 1
    I can't wait to see it. I drive the 2007 Prius and love it. But just seen pictures and can't wait touch it and check it. :)
  • bwilson4webbwilson4web Member Posts: 80
    Bought a 2010 Prius, taxes, title, and registration, total: $24,250.

The insurance agent called and our premium goes up $9/year. We sold a 2001 Echo and paid off the 2003 Prius to cancel the collision and added this 2010 Prius.

Bob Wilson
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Are there any tax credits on the 2010 Prius? I was told that only the Ford Fusion and VW Jetta TDI still get tax credits.
    No credits left for Toyota. Ford's is now half of the full amount and will go down again next quarter. I don't follow the jetta.
  • valuemaximizervaluemaximizer Member Posts: 4
    I don't like to call myself cheap, so I like to say that I'm a value maximizer. I enjoy getting a great deal, especially when I've analyzed extensively before a purchase - because I love relishing in being justified. =) I'm a bargain hunter, tough negotiator, and logic-minded.

My heart is set on buying a Prius. It's not a matter of what make/model or even color, I'm just caught in a dilemma between buying an '09 or '10. I live in Nor Cal, so the inventory of '09s is not an issue. Now what has got me confused is that some claim that this is the ideal time to buy an '09, especially since the '10s are hitting the lots. HOWEVER, if the '10s are coming out at MSRP (~$22K), how is this such a great deal over the '09s ($21K for a Package 2)? I mean, if you drive the '09 off the lot, you've already incurred a year's depreciation over buying an '10 model, right?

Now, I don't care about styling, engine horsepower, features, and will ultimately want the bare bones package for the Prius. Am I missing something big about why some believe the '09s are such a great deal? For those '09 proponents, what do you think is Toyota's bottom-of-the-barrel price? If you were a value maximizer, which one would you choose? (I admit, it's always nice to have the newer model, but I might be able to live with something older for the right price. I'm just not convinced that the '09 Prius prices are there.)

Thoughts?
    The 09's have 0% financing or rebates attached to them and most dealers will sell at invoice. I'm not sure the base version is that great of a deal but when the loaded ones start with large discounts or 0% then comparing the deals to the past they are bargans. Personally though I'm waiting on my 2010.

see the post here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0a4a2c.f0a4a16/1959
  • msmortonmsmorton Member Posts: 4
    Just test drove 2010, the car felt less muted then 09. The car had a little more power when applied and better steering feel. I noticed car inventory in N. california is increasing on 2010. I would buy the 2010, Im waiting for the interest rates to go down on these cars and to see what happens with the clunker law. I have a 96 gmc subruban I want to turn in.
  • gakubagakuba Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bob,

How did you manage to pay $24,250? The dealer is asking me to pay $26,227(tax, registration included). The options I included are these:

Package II, Blizzard Pearl color($220), floor mats, tinting( I am in Arizona).

Do you think I should cancel the deal???