Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    vanner1vanner1 Member Posts: 12
    Okay, anyone done an outer cv joint boot replacement on the front axle of a 4wd Tracker? 2000 4cyl 4dr. Looks like it requires removing a whole lot of stuff and much of it might have to be replaced? How much work, how expensive? I can't justify putting that much into this vehicle at this point in its life.
  • Options
    blafteusblafteus Member Posts: 1
    Do you still have the pics of this? I recently had my transmission rebuilt on my 1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2.0L 4x and I wanted the mechanic to take a look at the a/c because it was not blowing cool air. He got it working, however he said I had to keep it on, if I shut it off via the a/c button or turned the fan off completely, it wouldn't work again until I popped open the hood and unplugged and plugged back in the the main switch for it by the fuse block. So clearly I have an electrical problem somewhere. Well I tried resetting it when it died on me at work this week and it didn't work, plus I lost the blower as well, so no cool air and no hot air either.
    The mechanic determined the fuse was blown so he puts in a 25 instead of a 20, which gets it working again. I drive it almost home and I start to lose acceleration power as if I shifted into neutral. I also hear sparking by the fuse box. I immediately shut off the a/c and the car gets power to accelerate again plus the sparking sound stops. The blower is not working again and after hours of having it parked I go to start the Tracker and the engine won't turn over. WTH? Please help on this miserable Sunday morning, I'm ready to buy a new vehicle if I can't get this beast working right again.
  • Options
    jimmy96jimmy96 Member Posts: 2
    I've recently purchased An 01 tracker with the roof luggage rack also has the slide rails. My problem is that I didn't receive a key for the 4 locking devices on them. I would like to move or remove them.Does any one know where i might purchase a key to unlock them. any help greatly appreciated. thanks Jim
  • Options
    jimmy96jimmy96 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have towed my 01 trackerSeveral times I just ran a short 4 wire extension from the plug in on the motor hometo the end of the tow bar, then ran a long extension wire from the end of the tow bar through the frame to rear of car and up into the Jack compartment and used magnetic lights to stick on top of vehicle.My tracker is a4 wheel drive automatic. so to tow it place transmission in neutral, then place the transfer case in neutral . then place tranny back in park set ignition key to acc.hook up tow bars and go. some people use a seperate brake system but I didn't these cars are so light you don't know they are back there and i certainly didn't have problems stopping it, hope I've been some help Jim
  • Options
    This info is for the LEFT axle shaft only! The right one involves removing a few moe items to replace the axle so the labor about doubles.

Found a local tire/suspension shop - part of a Louisville area chain (Ken Towery) - that did the job for $217 and change, got the whole axle overnight and installed it in 20 minutes, with a 1 year warranty. I am pleased!

The also gave me a heck of a good quote to replace my ac compressor and redo the whole system. I'll post that under another topic heading.
  • Options
  • Options
    Shop gave me a really good price for repairing my ac on my Tracker. Compressor clutch crapped out and that means a new compressor on these cars. Quote is for complete "compressor kit" from NAPA that includes compressor, accumulator/drier, oil and refrigerant with labor and a 1 year warranty for $700. I have to take the deal - I love this car too much and can't find any replacement I can live with. 140K miles and I want 60K more, so I'll make the appointment.
  • Options
    coffeecatcoffeecat Member Posts: 7
    Very nice! What area is that in?
  • Options
    Louisville, KY
  • Options
    I have a 2003 4WD Tracker with a 2.0L that pretty much needs the same AC system repairs. Do you have any info on who to contact for this?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm close to Chicago but Loiusville isn't that far so it would be worth the drive for me.
    I would be interested in knowing how that kit installation works out for you!
  • Options
    toms1964toms1964 Member Posts: 16
    Take the panel off the door and spray the heck out of the lock from the inside with penetrating oil.
  • Options
    geo8888geo8888 Member Posts: 2
    Help!! My mechanic says I need a new ISCS valve ( idle speed control solenoid valve ) ? Have been trying to find one, but no one has the part! Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Options
    geo8888geo8888 Member Posts: 2
    forgot, it's a 91 with 1.6 ltr. Tday
  • Options
    goodolboy912goodolboy912 Member Posts: 1
    Could be the sensor that connects to the speedometer, its on the transmission usually on the outside. I'm not sure of the exact location but that sort of thing is usually a cheap fix, you can look in a Hayes manual to find the exact location. On another note it may be the actual instrument cluster, possibly a loose connection or bad gauge, I'm not sure if you can buy just the needle assembly but its worth looking into. Buying an entire instrument cluster will probably be pretty costly.
  • Options
    lordinglording Member Posts: 2
    I would recommend replacing the front O2 sensor. People don't realize but they break down like spark plug 4X as bad as they are running in 4 cyl high temp exhaust flames. You can still not get a engine service light. I have a 2001 and it went same way at 90k. I put new one in and it ran like a top for 3 weeks. then went back same way. The sensor was $350 then . I tried everthing for the next 170k and didn't want to spend that money again but light just came on and it's showing O2 fault. I see now on internet you can buy them from $30 to $130. I am going to buy both front and back sensors. I'm sure it's your problems as this sensor adjusts fuel and air according to sensor readings. I suspect you are all running rich because if to lean it would run to hot and burn valves and converters. Your converters could be plugged by heat but if you don't replace sensor first you will burn it out and plug it again. I will post my results when I get them replaced. good luck Lording
  • Options
    trackerdadtrackerdad Member Posts: 1
    Sorry, no help on the no power issue, but my son's '99 had similar cruise issues. Research point to a faulty cruise control servo. It works, just not correctly. Found them for +$500. Going to live with it until either the Tracker or I hit the grave.
  • Options
    archer1214archer1214 Member Posts: 1
    4 wheel drive won't engage.lights on shaft spins,any suggestions?
  • Options
    beatersrusbeatersrus Member Posts: 2
    We just picked up a 1991 Tracker for one of the kids (hence our name), and in the process of changing out some routine things have gone about one fifth the way to doing what would be needed to inspect/change the timing belt. Question is, if the timing belt goes out on this vehicle, will it ruin the engine? We are worn out with maintenance for the month and would like to forego doing the belt until later unless it's really crucial at this mileage and for a car of this vintage. Thanks!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gates says it's not an interference engine.
  • Options
    beatersrusbeatersrus Member Posts: 2
    We are reinstalling the window crank/cable on our 91 Tracker, and the shop manual we have does not have the same hardware featured. Has anyone seen a schematic or photo of the door for this model which can walk us through the process? Thannks!
  • Options
    g_man77g_man77 Member Posts: 1
    Are the exterior door handles the same. All I seem to find are the passenger side. Is the driver side the same handle just flipped? 2003 Tracker 4-door drivers side needed.
  • Options
    They are the same, but you cant flip it over, the driver's side is a mirror image of the passenger side. Passenger side handle will not work on drivers side.
  • Options
    I did that and it worked! But it's starting to get sticky again 4 months later. Liquid Wrench is what I used.
  • Options
    Go to eBay and in the search field type "door handle tracker" you'll get a bunch of results for both driver (LH) and passenger (RH).
  • Options
    kittenangelkittenangel Member Posts: 1
    I would like specific instructions on how to replace the driver side exterior door handle on a 2001 Chevy Tracker. The part is on it's way, and I would like to know how difficult it will be to replace (seemed relatively easy to break it! LOL!) I have power locks, if that makes any difference in the installation.
  • Options
    Take it to the dealer. That's what I did.
  • Options
    cdl2cdl2 Member Posts: 15
    I did a serach, but couldn't find anything about when the guides & chain need to be changed.
    2000 Chevy Tracker, 2.0 liter engine.
    Talked with NAPA & Chevy dealer, nothing.
    I see a lot of Trackers around town & I gotta believe they've not blown up & had the engine replaced.

HELP!!!!!
  • Options
    I removed the rack, & replaced one o ring.
    I found a PS hose that was leaking & fixed that
  • Options
    cts304cts304 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 and the same problem. Napa caries them but they are about $50 a piece. I found some new ones on ebay for only $18 a piece. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    cts304cts304 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Chevy tracker, 4wd, 2.0 , 5 speed. I need to replace the clutch in it. I have never replaced one on this model. Is there anything special I should know or any special tool that I need?
  • Options
    crimsondoomcrimsondoom Member Posts: 1
    I have 2000 Tracker. A fuse blew and it disabled the Blower motor for heat/AC, the DRL, the Rear Window Defrost and the dashboard lights. I found the fuse, replaced it and it worked for 1/2 day and the fuse blew again. Has anyone had a similar situation and what was the repair outcome?
  • Options
    I've not had your problem, but may I suggest you unplug as much as you can. Then reconnect one by one to see which one blows the fuse. Seems I did read something about the daylite running light's having a problem.

If you find the problem please let us know.
  • Options
    jerry146jerry146 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 tracker that shakes really bad sometimes, ill pull over put in park then take off slow to get going but no shakeing anymore it does it every so often ,anybody elce have this problem? I thought the wheels were falling off or something
  • Options
    woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    Have a '01 2.0L MT with about 165K. It had been dying at idle intermittently, very frustrating. Thought perhaps the throttle butterfly valve and throttle body needed cleaning, so did that to no avail. Took apart the IAC valve, cleaned what I could and made sure all the ports were clear, also to no avail. The remedy, a new IAC valve. Unfortunately, not readily available and expensive. Purchased it from a Suzuki dealer for $250. Easy to install.
  • Options
    tracker2000tracker2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a simular problem with our 2000 tracker, the blower motor quit working and the abs light stays on all the time, seems to be a problem with the dash lights also. I tried changing fuses and they worked for about 10 seconds and then stopped again. the strange thing is that none of the fuses appear to be blown. any help?
  • Options
    dibble1dibble1 Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever figure out what the rubbing sound was?
  • Options
    blacktracblacktrac Member Posts: 14
    No it still does it but not as much. The morning today was about 9 degrees and it did it for about 1 minute. Last week it got down in the single digits and did the same thing. Now it seems only in temps below 15 degrees.
  • Options
    Funny mine does the exact same thing.
  • Options
    robin338robin338 Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble right now with my heater and headlights staying on when the car is off, I have a car remote starter as well, but replaced it with a new one and not sure if this is the problem or something else is causing this to happen
  • Options
    cliffjwcliffjw Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like I have the same problem.

This has stumped more than a few mechanics already. I'm sure the solution is something simple, but nobody can find it.

I've got a 2001 Chevy Tracker (aka Vitara). 2.0L, automatic, A/C, power everything.

Occasionally the interior fan and running lights will stay on, even after I have shut off the vehicle and removed the key.

This only happens during extended periods of really wet weather. It is sporadic and not predictable. Often the interior fan and running lights will come on hours after I have parked the vehicle. The lights seem to be triggered by the night sensor on the dash, because they won't come on by themselves during the day. This results in a dead battery when I try to start the truck in the morning. I have resorted to disconnecting the battery when I park.

This is a problem I need to resolve because I would like to give the Tracker to my wife to drive our daughter around. I don't want to give them a vehicle that is likely to leave them stranded.

Any thoughts?

thx
  • Options
    This is from an official GM Service manual:

99 - 04 Tracker 4WD Squeak Squeal Front Hub or CV Joint Area at Cold Temperatures - kw 1.6 2.0 2.5 axle cvjoint differential L34 LE8 LQ4 lubrication noise seal suspension #PIP3278 - (Dec 27, 2004)
    99 - 04 Tracker 4WD Squeak Squeal Front Hub or CV Joint Area at Cold Temperatures

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Squeal or squeak type noise from the front axle area during cold ambient temperatures. The noise disappears after a few miles of driving. The condition will occur in 2WD or 4WD. The noise can occur at the left or right front hub assembly area.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Operating characteristic. No repairs should be performed.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Models:
    (99 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (00 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (01 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (02 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD) and (04 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD )
  • Options
    sypher86sypher86 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    i have a 2003 tracker and it has the exact same problem, was wondering if you ever figured out the problem...
    its def not a cruise control servo...lol
    trackers pretty much powerless, catylatic converter smells often, but there is exaust flow at end of tail pipe. ive ran a few cleaners only one that helped was marvel mystery oil.
    i have two codes for low voltage on bank 1, but light went off when i ran marvel, was only off for a day.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Did anyone try and stop the vibration noise from their rusted catilitic converter cover? The bottom half of mine fell off last year but the top half rusted by 2 screws and it's making a loud vibration noise when I give it the gas. I heard if you take the top half off it will burn a hole in the floor. It's happening on both of my Trackers. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    sypher009sypher009 Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to Replace the converter in a few days, will post update asap.
  • Options
    ajp5ajp5 Member Posts: 3
    Are you sure it's the cover? Drove mine into the mechanic's lot, he walked over and told me it needs a new one as the element has come loose internally. $400 later, new aft converter assembly, no noise. Needed it replaced anyway as flange was leaking exhaust and entering the passenger compartment through the HVAC. alan
  • Options
    ajp5ajp5 Member Posts: 3
    Me too. alan
  • Options
    Yes it's the cover. Rusted on one end. I can move it a little up and down. I got some wire and wrapped it around it, but that won't hold for too long.
  • Options
    jmdkmprjmdkmpr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the left front exterior door handle will fit as a replacement for the left rear exterior door handle? I need to replace both ext door handles on the left (driver's) side, but can only locate a replacement door handle for the front left side.

Also, can anyone provide instructions on how to replace the exterior door handles?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Jean
  • Options
    craylashcraylash Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 tracker and the power steering locked while I was driving. I had to have it towed to the dealership. I was told the joints and couplings in the steering column had frozen up and needed to be replaced. No parts available locally. I may take 7-10 days before the Tracker is fixed. The dealer told me that Trackers were notorious for steering problems. I'd like other Tracker owners input.