Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Endeavor Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dmerchantdmerchant Member Posts: 5
    I do too, but what a strange coincidence.
  • a_ryan1972a_ryan1972 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought two new tires for the front and the right amount of pressure put in by Goodyear. This didn't make a difference for me. We'll have to wait and see what the stethoscope says.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    My Outlander is at the dealer as we speak - dropped it off last night. I hope to hear something late this morning.
    "I just bought two new tires for the front and the right amount of pressure put in by Goodyear. This didn't make a difference for me."

I was told that the OEM tires that came on my Outlander were actually designed for a truck setup - and the Outlander is a car based vehicle (like the endeavor). I even swapped all 4 of my tires to a car, touring type tire and it hasn't made a difference with the suspension noises.

By the way, they (dealer) are still searching for the source of the noise, but can hear it.
    is still at the dealer (day 2). They are still searching for the source of the noise. It is a little inconvenient to not have my car, but I appreciate them spending all of this time on it instead of just slopping some lubricant on there and telling me to come pick it up.
  • cfoforfuncfoforfun Member Posts: 6
    I purchased an Endeavor in 02/05. We had a mild winter in the Pacific NW last year so it wasn't much of a test of its AWD capabilities. During the winter, I frequently take our vehicles to the foothills of the local ski mountain where we have a cabin. I am concerned that I will not be able to navigate the snow when it gets deeper than a few inches. In addition, the highway leading to the ski areas frequently requires us to carry traction devices.

The Endeavor's owner's manual states that chains cannot be used, presumably due to the possible interference with the struts.

Does anyone have a solution for improving traction in the snow and also to complying with the requirement to carry traction devices and not impacting the vehicle's warranty?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Try doing a Yahoo or Google search for a product called "Tyre-Grip". This may help you. I have never used this product nor do I know anyone that has, but I always keep it in the back of my mind as a possible alternative...
    Thank you Ryster. I will keep searching for something more like a traditional traction device but in the meantime, I may order some Tyre-Grip.
    I found another forum that has about ten people with the same problem. They all said they had rocks in the strut tower. They have to bring the vehicle back to the dealer to get them cleaned out until Mitsubishi comes up with another solution.

A few people also said that the pressure from the hose at the car wash can sometimes force the rocks out.

I will speak to my dealer about this next time I go there.

If this is the case, I would imagine that the noise would go away for at least a little longer than it does when it's on a lift and then I would be able to tell if that was the problem.
  • jerryl1jerryl1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a whining noise 40 mph and higher. I took to local dealership and the mechanic took my Endeavor for a drive and came back and said there wasn't any out of the ordinary whine he could hear, that isn't in any of them? I accepted his opinion. It was about two month ago. The noise or whine annoys me, so I was searching for some answers and found these discussions and it appears there is a problem with the drive shaft area with an abnormal whine? Can anyone tell me, how loud their whine or noise was when they were able to have dealership agree? I want to take back to dealership, but I need some ammunition or does anyone have any other ideas? I need to know somehow that my Endeavor's noise is abnormal.
  • sdyer1sdyer1 Member Posts: 1
    we just leased new 06 endeavor and have noticed that everytime the air conditioner is turned on it makes a very loud clicking sound in the cabin as well as a clicking sound every couple of minutes when it is on- we test drove several 06's and 05's and although this noise was present in some it was barely noticeable and wasnt this loud- service people say its normal and its the condensor turning on and off but the sound seems too frequent and too loud, anyone else with this problem??
  • hellcat51hellcat51 Member Posts: 30
    Hello all. Speaking of weird air conditioning noises, we occasionally experience what can only be described as a long "Whooooooo", almost like an owl's call, coming from the right side dash vent when we slow down and the air is on. We have an 04 XLS. Still think it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Nick.
  • dhorn1dhorn1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2004 Endeavor XLS AWD. For some reason, I can't seem to turn the air condition off other than turning the fan off. That is, the AC light won't turn off if I push the AC knob. Any ideas?
    If you look at the temperature control knob when it's all the way to the left you'll see max AC. While the fan is on, turn the know a little to the right so that it's no longer on max AC. Then push the button for the fan so that the green AC light goes off. Any time you turn the temperature know all the way to the left, the AC will go on.
  • hartwickhartwick Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I had a similar whining noise that started at about 40 mph. I took it to the dealer and they had the shaft assembly replaced. The noise is gone.
  • dhorn1dhorn1 Member Posts: 2
    I tried that, but even when its on the heater side (all the way to the right), pushing the AC button still doesn't do anything. It appears to be a problem with the switch, so I may just need to bring it in to the dealer. Thanks.
  • jmmarsh55jmmarsh55 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else have the issue of the paint on the inside air vents chipping off to reveal black underneath? Almost all the paint chipped off of my inside air vents within the first few months of buying my Endeavor brand new - the dealership replaced them free of charge - but now (a year later) it's happening again.... very frustrating and I am once again headed to the dealership tomorrow to have them replaced... Other than that I LOVE this auto :)
  • wilder1wilder1 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2005 limited Endeavor the end of July. Went on vacation end of July had a rainy soaking weekend, by accident sunroof was left open(rear vent of roof opened) front floors were soaked overnight. Have had a few times floors front wet but no a/c or sunroof were engaged. Went to car wash several times had a undercarriage wash several times, pulled up mats to vacuum under, mats were wet(under). Just the other day went to shake out mats and they were frozen to the carpet. (cold weather here) Thought I was crazy but I know now there is definetly a leak somewhere. Also rear window had a drip inside. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks for feedback
  • steve2030steve2030 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys, I am thinking of buying an 05 LS END,and wanted to get some feedback. I have been reading this forum and biggest issues seem to be the drive train, and the weird noises.
    I really like the body styling of this car and price compared to the other available options in the same price range.

A friend of mine swears that mitsubishi cars suck, but is also a faithful Nissan Maxima supporter. But like i told her cars in general suck, since they are all made of running parts. The same problems that plague the End can also plague a toyota, or nissan.">

The End had just enough options to keep me satisfied, but I also dont want to end up buying a car that is going to be more of a problem in the long run. Honest opions would be greatly appreciated.
  • kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    I've put just over 22k on a 2004 Endeavor that I bought new. I've had no wierd noises, and no reason to return to the dealer. The Endeavor gets good marks at Edmunds and Con.Reports. Our Endeavor has been squeak and rattle free. At the time of purchase I did have doubts about the seat fabric(LS-AWD) but so far , it's held up. I don't know how Mitsubishi can keep its factory running with such low volume and with the car based SUV market about to be awash in new competitors. Having said that, I still believe the Endeavor is one solid product. The new "nose" on the 2006 models may or may not be an improvement. I've grown to like the 2004 front end look. It's no rocket ship, but it has enough torque on hand that it gets around quite well. Mpg isn't great , but it's very simular to others in the same camp. If I park next to a RX330 , I don't feel like I'm driving the lessor product. It's also nice (to me) that you don't see Endeavors all up and down the highway. Sometimes it seems like every 4th vehicle in traffic is a Lexus RX. There nice, but the styling never looked balanced to me and the interior with that up front floor shift , well , I didn't care for that, It looks like something Barbie would want to Drive. IMO. Bill C.
  • camlamarcacamlamarca Member Posts: 40
    Hit 41k miles on my endeavor this month. I'll assume you already like the looks, so what's left . . primarily reliability and value.

Reliability - not a problem for me, and this one is a 3/2003 production date, and I got the XLS 2wd. This vehicle has been great. Also, with the 100k factory warranty on the power-train, not worried about it.

Value - well, not being able to run as well on the 87octane costs a little more, and unless you plan on keeping it more than five years, it takes a bath on resell. I'm keeping mine a long time, and I also like being more unique on the road.
  • cday500cday500 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Endeavor was purchased new and has 60,000 miles on it. I have a problem with light bulbs blowing out and am not getting any assistance or answers from the dealership. I replaced one head light in June 05, then both light bulbs went out at the same time in August 05, the dealership said that this is not a rare problem and replaced the two bulbs. In Dec 05 I had to replace the rear dome light, and today when the dealership called (while conducting my 60,000 mile inspection and timing belt change---OUCH!) to say I have lost another head light and both license plate light bulbs.

To me this sounds excessive and indicates a short or a surge problems somewhere. Does anyone out there have the same problem or solution?
  • motorhead24motorhead24 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to disable the daytime running lights on a 2005 Endeavor?
    This is an update to my 11/09/05 posting which was concerned with traction in the snow. I ended up putting on 4 snow tires which complies with the "Traction tires or devices required" restriction by the Dept of Transportation. I had the tires studded to give me an edge in snow and ice. I had the chance to test them while driving in to our cabin in about a foot of fairly wet snow. I had absolutely no problem with clearance or traction.

One of the Edmunds reviews I read about the Endeavor versus the Pilot favored the Endeavor and was one of the reasons I purchased the Endeavor. For this and for other reasons I believe I made the right choice.
    Has anyone purchased after market replacement lamps for their headlights, Xenon or otherwise?
  • bobbyt1bobbyt1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I must admit I have read all the post and learned a lot.
    I have a 2005 endeavor LS with 3000 miles and absolutely love it. My two questions are is there an easy way instal
    a sub woofer in the rear(the LS does not come with one)where the cut out already exists. Also is a slight tapping noise comming from the engine normal. My friend says it's normal in many forien cars. I traded in a Ford ranger v6 and never noticed one in it.
  • motorhead24motorhead24 Member Posts: 2
    I can't speak to the subwoofer issue but on your second question....the slight tapping noise that you hear from the engine compartment is most likely the fuel injectors clicking on and off.
  • bobbyt1bobbyt1 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, thanks for the info.
  • cday500cday500 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Endeavor with over 67,000 miles on it. I have driven it to death and have not had any weird noises going on. The only problem I have had are the brakes make a grinding sound when really wet....dealership says they are fine and the headlights blowing out for some odd reason. I love it and it is a great ride especially if you live on the highway as much as I do.
    My 2004 Endeavor now has 26k miles. In the past week we drove thru the mountains of Colorado,New Mexico,Arizona on a 10 day vacation. I continue to be very happy with the Endeavor. Driving thru the mountains against a terrible cross wind made for terrible fuel milage(about 15mpg) And at times the 3.8L and 4 speed transmission had more than they could handle trying to maintain 75mph on steep upgrades. I think if I lived daily under such conditions the Endeavor would not be a good choice. I used only premium fuel.At one point near the grand Canyon they were charging $3.29 a gallon,some 45 cents more than anyplace else. It's handling and braking even in the crosswinds was excellant. The vehicle continues to be tight and squeak free. I had the cabin filter (dealer installed option)changed before the trip at 22k miles, and it needed it. Bill C.
  • k203206k203206 Member Posts: 20
    I live in Southern California and at Riverside Mitsubushi, they advertised (5) 2006 Endeavors for 21.4(k). I sent an e-mail to them to specify what options these cars had. It claimed the MSRP 27.9(k). If these end up to be base models, is this a good advertised price? Based on the previous e-mails the price looks pretty good, but I don't know if this maybe a bait and switch tactic... :confuse:
  • k203206k203206 Member Posts: 20
    Sorry, I Posted #185, in the wrong topic / category. It should have been posted in the Prices paid section. :)
  • kriogurlkriogurl Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor with 60,000 miles. In June of 2005, I replaced the brakes by Fox Mitsubishi. Several weeks ago, I heard a grinding noise and I took it to another mechanic, who indicated that asbestos part of the brakes had fallen off and there was a problem with the calipers. I took the vehicle back to Fox Mitsubishi and advised them of the situation. I have never worn out breaks in a matter of 6 months and I could not understand why calipers were missing. They said I needed both front and back breaks, which would cost $1100. I feel thats ridiculous. Does any one know how long breaks normallu last and what is a reasonable cost for break work.
  • kriogurlkriogurl Member Posts: 2
    You need to watch those brakes. :sick: It could be a more serious problem and if the dealership is anything like my dealership, they will not take responsibility and will charge an outrageous price to fix the problem. :lemon:
  • tmstallmantmstallman Member Posts: 5
    I smell rotten egg odor in the cabin at all speeds. I use premium gas, so thats not it. Ist is getting worse as time passes. Mitsubishi says its a "fuel issue", not a warranty issue and wont do anything. But they have put out a servive bulletin on it. Anyone else have this problem ?
    Yes. I have noticed a rotten egg smell(2004 model year) but not all the time. Usually it's when I shut it off in the garage or some other enclosed area.I don't smell it inside the vehicle , but only when I get outside the vehicle. It's not real strong and it's not very often. I use mid grade fuel(89) most of the time,when I'm not I'll go the premium(91-93)When it comes to gasoline, I have no brand loyality.Do they think it's the fuel??
    I've never mentioned this to the dealer because it is not an issue for me due to it's infrenquency. Any idea what the Mitsubishi Service Bulliten says about It? Bill C.
    The bulletin says to try different brands of fuel. Try to find one that dont stink. When you find one that doesnt , it may take up to 10 tanks get rid of smell. Its got something to do with catylitic converter chemistry. I am very unhappy ! It may have something to do with ethanol in fuel, which is becoming more common.
    In reference to ethanol fuel, where I live in the midwest it's added to all grades of fuel at 99.9% of the places that sell fuel. In my recent trip out west,it was nowhere to be found.I never noticed the smell on the trip, but that may not mean much as it was always outdoors and seemed windy all the time!This Ethanol is a real political football. Personally I don't see it saving any fuel in real terms, and every study I've seen has a political bend to it.E85 is the latest darling and the mileage is terrible with it from what I've read. Do the math, it's no bargain even with subsidies. These farmers don't seem to give a hoot, they just want to sell their corn for a profit no matter what, and the politicians like wise don't know squat, except they want to be re-elected. Do you notice the smell more on short trips or long trips? The majority of time I'm buying Shell fuel , but as I said earlier, I'll buy it where ever. I hope you can get a handle on the stink issue.Good Luck. Bill C.
    You are right on concerning ethanol, its a scam by the Farm Bureau and other farm organizations. The ethanol scam wouldnt be possible without federal corn subsidies, which the taxpayer pays for. Shell fuel seems to cause the least smell. no diff long or short trip.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not to mention the subsidies Big Oil gets. :blush: Since this is the Endeavor discussion, feel free to continue the scam talk over in the Is Ethanol good for the environment? discussion where it's more on topic.

Steve, Host
    Here's a problem I'd not heard of before: My 2004 Endeavor's CD player has always worked fine playing music CD's on around the town driving. Things are different however when your out for most of the day driving and listening to a book on CD. After 20 or 30 minutes of playing the player begins to freeze up for several seconds.If you watch the counter in the display, there's no movement. Maybe 5 seconds later it starts back up skipping maybe a few seconds of dialog.If you eject the CD, it's quite warm, almost hot. If you let the CD disc cool, (5 minutes) it will then play thru the same section without any problems, but 5 minutes later, it starts freezing up again. This has happened on more than one CD and always after the first 20 minutes or more or playing time. Mitsibishi has agreed to replace the unit, but I'm told they've had no reports of this happening. Does Anybody have any insight to offer on what's going on here? Running the heat or the A/C has no effect on the problem & I've run a CD cleaner disc thru twice with no change.Bill C.
  • homburgpokeshomburgpokes Member Posts: 3
    2004 Endeavor XLS

Our Endeavor XLS won't turn-over. It sounds healthy during the whole process and sounds like it is going to start, but never turns over. It has been to the dealer twice and they are unable to note any problems or fix it. Each time it is towed to the dealer it starts for them.

The first time to the dealer it started right up and they ran a bunch of tests and reprogrammed the key. They found no errors and we tested all keys for it. They suspect that the ECU (immobilizing unit) was failing, but could not prove it. They asked me to look for specific lights on the dash and around the key ring (the green car in the extreme lower left of the dash and blinking of the green light around the key ring). Neither of these indicators ever came on.

Luckily I paid nothing.

The second time to the dealer they changed the air filter (it was admittedly dirty). Once again they could not isolate any problems. When I went to pick it up, it didn't start. It would just continually sound like it is turning over but never actually start. After several minutes of trying it started. We chalked it up to the air filter.

NOW AGAIN the darned thing wouldn't start. Each time it is towed it starts, so this leads me to believe that something is bumped or jarred and it will magically start. The ECU is several hundred dollars and won't be ready for a week or so as they order (estimated).

The car was 200 miles out of its 36000 mile warranty when I took it in the first time (we bought it BEFORE they extended the warranty).

I'm wondering if anyone has information on this error/problem, what I can do to get the dealer to call in a Mitsubishi Tech expert, or somehow get them to say something other than "We don't know what it is." I am looking to get the situation escalated to the next level of service.

Where else can I look for information regarding this?

This is the second Mitsu I have bought from this dealer, but I will never buy one again, not from them, not from Mitsubishi. They have not tried to accomodate me in the least. You would think that they would offer a courtesy vehicle when our car has been in their shop for over 2 days. The dealer has "courtesy vehicles" about on the parking lot.

Thank you for your time,

justin
    I'm confused. You state the Endeavor won't "Turn over".yet you say it "sounds" like it's going to start? Since you say it doesn't Turn Over , just what are these sounds? To everyone I know Turn Over would refer to the engine rotating via the starter. If it won't "turn over" as you say, and that's what you mean , that should be easy to diagnois starting at the neutral safty switch. Short of that, it's a lot of smoke and mirrors if the dealer cannot get the problem to show up in their shop. Maybe the Mitsubishi mechanic can drive it for several days while you find other transportation? Not the ideal solution, but maybe it would get to the problem. As for a loner, I think your SOL. I was only offered a loner once in 38 years of Car ownership and that was when I drove a in warranty Mercedes. GM once had my new Fiero for several days for a fan motor for the radiator. They would rent me car , but I declined. I haven't purchased a GM since. Same type of thing happened with a VW, and a new Ford
    Have you asked to talk to a Mitsubishi service rep? DO NOT tell them you will "never buy another so & so car ever again!" You might as well shoot yourself in the arm , it wouldn't help any either!
    After giving everyone a reasonable chance to fix the problem, ask about the lemon law in your state,and/or contact the better business bureau for advice. I suspect they don't know what the problem is and they and Mitsubishi are reluctant to just start throwing on new parts that are almost certain not going to fix the problem. It's a bummer, I know. I've been on both side of the counter. Bill C.
  • herewegoherewego Member Posts: 9
    I am considering an Endeavor. One deciding factor over the SUV's is the gas mileage. If I have to use premium gas, that defeats the purpose of saving money. What would happen if premium gas was not used?
    On average, Premium runs about 10 cents higher than Regular. If you drive 15,000 miles per year, and average 20mpg, that equates to 750 gallons per year. 10 cents times 750 gallons is only $75 more per year you will spend using premium.

And, from what I hear, some of those who do not use Premium in the Endeavor develop spark knock.
  • herewegoherewego Member Posts: 9
    Thanks. That brings up a concern with buying used. If the previous owner did not use premium, is spark knock a serious problem? Can it be corrected by starting to use premium?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    spark knock is only a problem if it is prolonged (that is, not just a quick "rattle") and if it occurs while the vehicle is working (going up long hills, towing, etc.).

If you have the combination of long duration of spark knock + occuring during heavy work load, that can be deadly.

Otherwise, using premium fuel will correct the condition (but not of course prior damage, if any, from pre-ignition).
  • immars13immars13 Member Posts: 3
    Greetings,

I own a brand new endeavor 2005. Let me tell you a breif story:
    bought it in febr. 06, a week later a stupid driver casued an accident, my car was in the shop until april 18, 2006.

when i drove it home i discovered AIR NOISE. the kind that a window would be open and wind seaping in. annoying to say the least. i called the body shop guy and he said it is common in endeavors. i never noticed it before - in that one week i had it. i think it is something i would have picked up on.

anyone here have that issue or heard of it ?????

please help.

thank you
    Even in strong crosswinds I have no air noise around the doors , windows or anywhere else. I drove a rental unit before I bought my 04, and it too was tight and quiet. Bill C.
  • canadakidcanadakid Member Posts: 1
    I am very close to buying a 2006 ltd endeavor at it has beed quite encouraging to read that there are many satisfied drivers out there. I am used to posting on the explorer sites and lets just say that there are a few more issues.... Can anyone out there give me a reason why I should not buy this vehicle? I appreciate any info provided....Thx :confuse: