Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Endeavor Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    happymitsuguyhappymitsuguy Member Posts: 1
    That not being able to find the radiator, :shades: kind of scared me so I started looking and found a place in California that looks like they have every part for this vehicle partsformitsubishi.com
  • Options
    jdragentbondjdragentbond Member Posts: 2
    I ordered the exact same cross bars and received the same "instructions" that refered to the service manual. Did you get any answers or figure out this installation? I need to know how to do this WITHOUT breaking the two plastic pieces because it seems they are very easily damaged to the point where people are losing them. I appreciate your response.
  • Options
    jdragentbondjdragentbond Member Posts: 2
    I ordered the cross bars for the roof rack and received "instructions" that refered to the service manual. I need to know how to remove the the black plastic pieces at the back of the roof rack WITHOUT BREAKING THEM because it seems they are very easily damaged to the point where people are losing them. I appreciate your responses.
  • Options
    mitsutechmitsutech Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad nobody got hurt. I know you can shift from neutral to drive without depressing the brake pedal. Are you sure you your foot was on the brake pedal and not the gas pedal when you shifted to drive? Just a thought......
  • Options
    jen80jen80 Member Posts: 1
    My husband went to start our 2005 Mit. Endeavor LS. this morning and it won't start! We've never had any problems with it before and we keep it well maintained. Last week when we had the oil changed they told us we needed a new air filter, which we plan to soon change. Could that be the cause?
    When we try to start it, it sounds healthy like it wants to start, but it doesn't want to actually start or turn over. This morning was a cold morning, but that has never been a problem before with it. My husband is going to call the dealership today but I was wondering if anyone had a problem with their 2005 not wanting to start? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    duckman2405duckman2405 Member Posts: 1
    OK, I figured out how to program a new remote for my wife's 2004 Endeavor. Very simple.
    1) First find the DLC plug (inside under driver side, right hand side, next to transmission wall). It’s a 16 pin connector with pins 1-8 on the wide side, 9-16 on the narrow side. Look closely and you can see the number 8, and barely make out the number 1.

2) Insert a paper clip into pin 1 and another into pin 4. Run two clip on wires up to where you can work comfortably so you can jumper 1 & 4 together in the next steps.

3) Insert your key into the ignition. Do not turn it. Just put it in.

4) Jumper 1&4. Within 10 seconds press the hazard button 6 times (that’s 3 on & 3 off). Your doors should lock and unlock to confirm registration mode.

5) Press and release the lock button of your 1st remote once.

6) Within 10 seconds of step 5 press and release the lock button of your remote TWICE.

7) The doors should lock and unlock to confirm registration.

8) If registering additional remotes follow steps 5 -7 again for up to a total of 4 remotes. But do them within 1 minute. NOTE: You must re-register your original remote as part of this since it wipes out all old registrations.

9) When done remove the jumper wire, paper clips, start the car, and with the money you saved go and fill up your gas tank. ;)
  • Options
    anniekatieanniekatie Member Posts: 3
    A few months ago, I purchased a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor AWD LS with 32k miles. I love it! I live in Minnesota, and I've just recently found out how it drives on snow/ice. The tires that are on it are the stock tires, and they are horrible. SO, I am looking for a good, all-season tire. I have done a lot of research, and have come to three different options.
    1. Bridgestone Dueler H/T Alenza
    2. Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds
    3. Michelin Cross Terrain
    Do any of you have any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    911man2911man2 Member Posts: 8
    Hands down winners :YOKOHAMA Geolanders M&S .....amazing handling wet or dry....work well in snow and sand too. These get the highest rankings on TIRE RACK site too! About $100.00/tire.
    They ride quiet on top of all these great features.
  • Options
    dougw4dougw4 Member Posts: 1
    Roof Rack is EZ to install. There is a little hole on the in side of the end cap. Push in with a tool (I used a small allen wrench) and slide it off. When you replace it just slide it back and give it a little tap to lock it in place. Hope it helps. DW
  • Options
    ksm22ksm22 Member Posts: 1
    Just installed trailer hitch on a 2004 and looking for diagram for wiring the trailer wiring harness. Any short cuts or quickest ways to complete this. We are using a Draw Tite Modulite Protector, advised by salesman, is it even needed or is there another way?
  • Options
    bstensgardbstensgard Member Posts: 6
    Where do I start. First, there is a clicking noise coming from what sounds like the top of the engine, is it normal? Second, there is a rattling noise coming from the vehicle when I accelerate (hit the gas). You can only hear it when the windows are down. Any ideas?? Lastly, it seems at random (low speeds, stopping, turning) that something will hit the floor board right under the driver's feet. What is that all about?? Please help, we live 2 hrs away from the nearest dealership, and I want to make sure these are serious enough to warrant the trip.. Thanks!! :cry:
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    light to faint clicking from an engine is nothing to worry about. Make sure your oil is at the proper level and ignore it. A rattling noise when accelerating can be engine knock if you are using less than premium gas. Are you using premium gas? Third, with the engine off and the car in park and the parking brake on, look under the car near the underside where the sound is coming from. If you don't see anything hanging loose, don't worry.
  • Options
    nanopgnanopg Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm having the same problem with my Endeavor, did you fixed yours? and how you did it?
  • Options
    bstensgardbstensgard Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. I have been told by others that the clicking noise is normal. I haven't been using premium (using 87 octane), so I will try that for a while to see if the rattling goes away. As for the floor board problem, I removed a gatorade bottle from under my seat and it went away....funny right. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    cweisscweiss Member Posts: 1
    Just had the radiator on my 04 replaced- something (looks like possibly a rock) flew through the front grill opening and punctured the radiator. I never though about it before, but that opening is huge and the radiator and air conditioning condensor are totally exposed- more so than most vehicles. Does anyone know of a screen/shield (aftermarket or otherwise) that offers some cover for the radiator and condensor? Costs approx $400 to replace the radiator, and I don't see what's to stop it from happening again.

Thanks.
  • Options
    911man2911man2 Member Posts: 8
    I bought an aftermarket billet style insert on ebay--it's still in box...but others said it works great.
    Looks good and it is well made...nothing will get by this!
    It's 12 degrees here and I don't have a garage....maybe I'll install it in the spring
  • Options
    nanopgnanopg Member Posts: 2
    The liftgate and window does not opens the majority of the time, and some times it opens by it self... How can I fix this....Help please..
  • Options
    drlcmldrlcml Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Endeavor Limited. I bought it used with 30,000 miles. I have been very pleased with the performance and overall quality of the vehicle. Recently driving home from dinner the vehicle totally quit running at about 45 miles per hour. I was able to put it back in neutral and restart the vehilce and it seems fine so far. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm hoping it was just trash in the fuel system.
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Did you have time to notice if the dash lights and instrument gauges went off at the same time? Did the car crank at all before restarting or did it come right back on as soon as you turned the key? Was the level of gas in the tank verrry low at the time?
  • Options
    knobsknobs Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 04 Endeavor XLS AWD in 2003. I have 18,000 miles and have not had one single issue. I bring it to the dealer every 3000 miles for an oil change and they treat me great. They take care of any recalls at the same time, cookies and coffee while I wait and they wash it all for less then it costs at Vavoline. I wipe down the hatch plungers after I wash it to prevent dirt build so they stay in good working condition. It starts when I have had to leave it outside at 30 below zero with out hesitation, gets me through all the snow in Minnesota without a problem. I recently went out and test drove a few other SUV's just because I thought I needed a change and nothing compared in ride, features or price so I decided to keep my Endeavor for a couple more years. I actually prefer it to my Mercedes ML320 which I decided to sell and keep the Endeavor
  • Options
    kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    I can relate to your comments.After putting 40K on our 2004 Endeavor LS I just traded up to a 07 SE. As I did in 2004 , we shopped the Mercedes,Volvo ,Lexus and the styless boxes made by Honda & Toyota.Even for $21k more, vehicles like the Volvo seemed to offer little over the Endeavor. we never had a problem with the 04 , and I look forward to a simular experience with the '07. The 04 was our first Mitsu. product. Having owned several of the "higher-end" brands , I have to credit Mitsu for a fine enginered, well put together vehicle, that's a real pleasure to drive.(IMO)
  • Options
    drlcmldrlcml Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding. I was away from my computer for a while. As far as I can remember the car started back as soon as I turned the key in neutral. I'm not sure how much gas I had or what lights came on when it cut off. I just finished putting about 500 miles on it during a short trip with no problems. I'm hoping it was just a fluke.
  • Options
    anniekatieanniekatie Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2005 Endeavor LS used in November. I love it, but haven't found a good dealer in MN to go to for warranty repairs. Knobs, it sounds like you enjoy your MN dealer. Which one do you go to?
  • Options
    hellcat51hellcat51 Member Posts: 30
    Bought my 2004 XLS January 2005 and it has been a pleasure to drive and trouble-free. I have noticed as of late that it seems to be hunting for its correct gear between 20 and 35 MPH. Hard to explain but I'll try. When I let up off the gas it sometimes makes a clunk as it downshifts and other times it seems to float as though it can't decide whether to downshift or not. Does that make sense? Only have 16,500 miles on it. Any ideas or suggestions before I call the dealer? Thanks. Nick.
  • Options
    avery1226avery1226 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Mits endeavor that in all honesty has been awesome up until now. Besides the breaks being a little obnoxious and the aggravating noise that occurs when one window is down it has been a nice car. The other day I was driving and my car made a funny noise and just stopped while going 30 miles an hour. I lost steering control- everything. Fortunately, I stopped in front of an auto repair shop where the gentleman was kind enough to come outside to take a look. He instantly knew it was the timing belt that had stopped the car. I had it towed to my local dealer, Sunset Mitsubishi-Sarasota. my car has 55 thousand miles on it and is covered under the power train 60,000 mile warranty. I get a call that somehow my drive belts shredded and got into my timing belt causing this all to occur so it will not be covered under power train. I will have to pay for a whole new engine. I have talked to 3 other mechanics with over 20+ years experience and they fail to see how this could have happened since the timing belt is non accessible. Please tell me if anyone else has had this problem because I can tell I am going to have to fight this issue. Thank you!!!!!
  • Options
    mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    See if you can get that Mitsu service rep to provide you with a written version of what you posted. Then contact Mitsu headquarters and see how long it takes them to fire that person. It sounds like your timing belt prematurely failed and your car should be covered under warranty. I hope it all works out for you.
  • Options
    cfoforfuncfoforfun Member Posts: 6
    Occasionally I notice that when I remove my keys from the ignition switch, my car rolls. When I look at the transmission shifter indicator, I see that the shifter is not in park, yet I have removed the keys. In order to move the shifter to park, I reinsert the keys, turn to on and then move the shifter to park. This can be very unnerving.

Hss anybody else had this experience?

I will have the dealer look at it the next time I am in for service.
  • Options
    littleangelalittleangela Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a midsize SUV and found this Mitsu Endeavor XLS (4WD) with power everything, the owner only asking for $11,500.00.
    I orginally wants to buy a Toyota Highlander but its price is too high. I went to Emunds to read Mitsu Endeavor's reviews and found the model review says for the 2004 endeavor XLS there is a 2004.5 update model. Emunds says: "
    This midyear upgrade included standard front side airbags and a leather steering wheel for the Endeavor XLS. New options included stability control for the all-wheel-drive Limited. Shoppers interested in a used '04 Endeavor should only consider the updated version." I am litte confused with what Emunds said. Since i know the one i want to buy is a not upgrade model, should i not buy it since emunds says shoppers should only consider the updated version for 04 XLS?
    anyone can help me i will appreciate your help.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think the basis for the edmunds' recommendation in the review is primarily the safety equipment in the upgrade. The other amenities are nice but the added protection provided by the airbags would influence my decision. Obviously, it's your decision to make.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    charliebuildercharliebuilder Member Posts: 2
    burger--I have just bought a 2006 Mitsubshi Endeavor Limited. I have bought over 50 cars in my life (in my 81st year)but have mostly stuck with American made cars. Did some research and found that Mitsubshi is the only foreign owned car company that makes its cars (some made in Japan)for the American market in Illinois. They have a labor contract with UAW.
    I bought the car but forgot my checkbook. Signed all the papers and said I would come back the next day with my check. (No consideration so not a valid contract) Went home and told my wife that Mitsubshi 'recommended' Premium Fuel. Did my calculation and found that 100000 miles Divided by 20 MPH equals 5000 gallons. At .30 Cents a gallon more this means we would have to pay $!500 more for gas. Divided by 5 (years) you get $300 per year. I told my wife and she blew a fuse. So I went to the Conroe Mitsubishi dealer and asked what kind of gas I should use.
    He said regular. I asked why Mitsubishi 'recommended' premium. He said he guessed it might get a mile or two more. He said he had run his car on regular for years. He said he would get the service manager for me. When I talked to Mike (I had in mind to ask for a reduction in price of $1500. He said he had used Mits for years and had been the manager for 12 years. He said all his customers used regular. I asked why the 'recommendation' of premium.
    He said they have silver spark plugs (I suppose the ends) and it burns off the residue (?) I said I would have to have a letter on company stationary stating it was ok to use regular. He gave it to me. "We acknowledge MItsubishi recommends Premium furl in this vehicle. However Conroe Mitsubishi states Premium fuel is not required and the use of regular fuel will not harm the engine nor void the Warranty.'
    I wrote my check. The people have a silver stand that states they are the No.1 Service Dealer in the USA. As as added inducement they give a receipt that entitles the buyer to free oil changes including the oil changes and and the 7 first service requirements free. EVerything is furnished. I only have to buy the gas for the first 45000 miles. AFter that I fall back on the 5/60000 bumper to bumper and the 100000 drive train. That does not sound like a 2 to me. Time will tell, but I am impressed. I will keep you advised for the 45000 miles if I live that long.''''CharlieBuilder
  • Options
    charliebuildercharliebuilder Member Posts: 2
    Kim..I bought a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor Limited Silver with black seats SUV AWD (3.8L 6cyl) today. I don't believe you have to use Premium. see my note of 8/20/07 above. I asked the service manager about your problem with the A/C and he said the stoppage is probable pine needles, leaves, etc which fall on the windshield and hood and work down to the coil and eventually stop up the condensate drain tube. He said he removes the stoppage by vacuum and is finished in ten minutes. Nothine hard to remove. The coil is under the dash and if he had to remove the dash he would not charge anything. He said he thought it should be under warranty. Your car probably was made in Illinois by the only UAW contracted Foreign owned car manufacturer in the USA.
    Can't address the paint problem.....Charliebuilder
  • Options
    Anyone have any issues with their transmission not shifting smoothly? Or rear differential or U-joint issues?
  • Options
    applewinsapplewins Member Posts: 4
    Mike, did you come to any resolve with Mitsubishi on this issue. We just purchased a used 2006 with 32,000 miles so I'm a little concerned. The car seems like it's in excellent shape. Did the 30,000 mile checkup my self and saved a ton of money.
  • Options
    My transmission shifting is smooth. How many miles on your Endeavor? Checked transmission oil level? Need to change the tranny oil?
  • Options
    It's a 2004 with 20,000 miles on it. The dealer checked it out twice and can't find anything wrong with it but says they feel what I'm talking about. I have noticed as of late that it seems to be hunting for its correct gear between 20 and 35 MPH. Hard to explain but I'll try. When I let up off the gas it sometimes makes a clunk as it downshifts and other times it seems to float as though it can't decide whether to downshift or not. Does that make sense? Also, once it warms up, if I put my foot on the brake and shift from R to D to R, etc. repeatedly I hear the clunk noise from the back end somewhere. Any ideas? Might be time to take it to a transmission shop. Thanks. Nick.
  • Options
    "clunk noise from the back end somewhere..." So yours is AWD? If yes, it certaintly sounds like the fluid for the rear differential is low. I think your idea about stopping by a transmission shop is on target. They can proably tell you what's up even before driving it based on the amount of detail you've provided. Then maybe you can head to your Mitsu dealer and have them repair it (assuming it's still under warranty). Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    gerggerg Member Posts: 3
    Need to know which is bank 2 on a endeavor with a V6.I have an OBD code P0431.
  • Options
    alronalron Member Posts: 13
    I'm having the same problem. It seems like a design flaw
  • Options
    daisy58daisy58 Member Posts: 2
    I am having shifting issues with my endeavor... the trani is not shifting smoothly at all! No one that I have had look at it can tell me what, or why. Can anyone tell me anything? :confuse:
  • Options
    I have seen a number of posts regarding replacement of driveshafts and propeller shafts. Where are these located and do they affect shifting? That is, does the vehicle shift smoothly or not. Thanks. Trying to isolate where the problem lies with my 04.
  • Options
    I am having the exact same problem! Dealer said twice they couldn't find any problem with it. I am now going to transmission place and have them check it out. What are your symptoms? BTW, I have an 04 with 21K miles.
  • Options
    daisy58daisy58 Member Posts: 2
    All I know is that my car is not shifting smoothly, especially when shifting from drive to reverse and vis-versa. It gives kinda a hard jerk when going into gear. BTW I have an 04 as well but I have 80,000 miles on mine. I've check fluid and it's full. Still not sure what to do>
  • Options
    quemacocoquemacoco Member Posts: 1
    I have this exact problem. Did you ever find out what the issue was? Mine seems to do it between 30 and 40 mph, especially when going up small hills.
  • Options
    diekemadiekema Member Posts: 11
    A bad Mass Air Flow sensor can cause irratic shifitng. You would have a "check engine" message.
  • Options
    diekemadiekema Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the water pump should be change with timing belt. I have an '05 Limited AWD with 115k and coming up on second tb. I did not replace water pump the first time. I had an Audi and it was automatic--change tb, change wp. Anyone know?
    thanks
  • Options
    I have an '06 Endeavor with the optional DVD player. Does any one know what replacement wireless headphones can be used and from where? I found these but not sure if they would work.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6355534&productCategoryId=abcat030- 3003&type=product&tab=2&id=1076628694591#productdetail

I'd hate to pay dealer prices.
  • Options
    txrdhogtxrdhog Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where Nerf Bars can be purchased for the 05 Endeavor?
  • Options
    I'm not sure that it has to be done, but it's cheaper to have it changed while the timing belt is being changed due to labor rates. For example, they may charge two hours to change just the TB and two hours to change just the water pump. But if you get it all done at once you end up paying for 2 1/2 hours instead of four hours of labor. Personally, I have mine changed at the same time, but I only have it done every 100K (you can call me a cowboy or you can call me stupid) ;)
    With 115K on it, the water pump may be ready to be replaced. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    cindylubcindylub Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has the above vehicle. According to the dealership, the Blender Door Actuator has a bad switch causing intermittent interruptions to the heating and cooling system. (Sometimes the heating or air conditioning works, sometimes not).

They indicated that the only solution was to replace the entire unit at a total cost of $1,800.

I would appreciate any input, experiences, etc. anyone has had on this issue. It seems like a very expensive repair.

Thank you.
  • Options
    brokedwnagn1brokedwnagn1 Member Posts: 1
    after taking my truck in and waiting a month for a new paint job i have noticed the back glass has been changed out and also doesn't stay shut the battery has been changed out and now it wont start is there a rep for mits i can contact to help because mits in Slidell La is where i had these problems start and now they wont even call me back i feel i have been rooked by the dealer someone please help :cry: