Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I went with the Dana 44, but I don't plan on any severe offroading. I just like the idea of a sturdier rear end, and it might hold up better if I ever go to a lift and bigger tires.

You give up the availability of ABS with the Dana 44, so you have to decide which means more to you. I didn't mind forgoing the ABS in order to get the Dana 44, but that is up to you.

One thing I wish is that I had gotten the TracLoc with the Dana 44. Since I was already getting the Dana 44, the TracLoc would have only cost $285.00, and there are several people in here that have said that the TracLoc is real good for ice and snow. I didn't know how useful it was when I ordered Thelma.

If you would take the time to go back and read a lot of the old posts in here, you might get some real good tips on what options to get.

I think you get it anyway with the Sahara, but that subwoofer makes a huge difference in the sound quality of the radio. If you end up with a Sport, be sure you get one with the subwoofer, unless you are going to upgrade your sound system with after market stuff anyway.

tsjay
  • Options
    saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    thanx for the info...
    I think the sub comes standard on the sahara now..
    we dont get much ice or snow here...just wondering if the DANA really is worth the money..
    I'm gonna keep the factory stereo. just add a amp..& new speakers...
    I'll keep you updated on the Mrs Saharanut progress

Keep huggin'
  • Options
    rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Will I had my first chance to drive my new wrangler in some deep snow, and it did great. Where I was it was almost bumper deep ,and this this seemed unstopable.

By the way tsjay, the dana 44 includes the trac-
    loc. So if you have the dana 44 you already have a trac loc.
  • Options
    Not true, Kimo Sabe.

I wish you were right, but you do not automatically get the TracLoc with the Dana 44. You have to have the Dana 44 in order to get TracLoc, but if you want TracLoc, you have to order it and it is an additional $285.00.

You might be thinking if the package that calls for TracLoc, which means you get the Dana 44 AND TracLoc, which costs something like $585.00 (or something like that).

It IS confusing. But, believe me, if you get the Dana 44 as part of the Canyon wheel and 30" tire package, you don't get TracLoc unless you ask for it and pay the extra $285.00, which I wish I had done.

And I AM JEALOUS! Bumper deep snow!!! Man, would I love to take Thelma out in those conditions!

Hopefully, you will tell us more in the chat tonight.

Later, my friend.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Still in D-1 status, but as of yesterday, I have an estimated ship date of 3/15. End of March still seems reasonable if they can get it out the door next week.

rs1157 - The rep I spoke with yesterday was not aware of any plant closings or slowdowns. However, it does seem odd that history had been somewhere in the 3-5 week range, and we'll be closer to 7. I think that we, along with tjy, are in the same batch heading through the plant right now.

saharanut - welcome to the group and good luck on getting the Jeep through purchasing.

-twylie
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Also be aware that you don't need the Dana 44 to get the trac-lok limited-slip differential. I have it with the regular dana 35 axle. You can get ABS that way, and I did spring for both of those options. Both have been pretty useful in keeping me out of trouble.
  • Options
    ok...so I can get trac-loc without DANA...
    with the 30" tire group right...
    how about ABS?...does that come with DANA?
    Didnt know I needed a college degree to get a jeep.
    thanx twylie
  • Options
    tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Hey Everybody! Just wanted to check in and give an update on my 2001 TJ. Found out this afternoon I'm in D1 status now with an estimated ship date of 3/16! With any luck, I'll have my TJ by the last week of March as it only takes around 9 days to ship from Toledo to the D.C. metropolitan area!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to see the light at the end of a very long tunnel (I ordered 2/7) and can't wait to take delivery!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    No, ABS does not come with the Dana 44. In fact, you can't get those two options together at all. Boy, that does sound confusing. Just know that trac-lok is always an option, and ABS is only an option with the Dana 35.
  • Options
    I'm really not planning to do any off-road riding..
    but that might change in the future...
    is getting DANA my money's worth or should I stick to ABS then?

Thanx for the info
    Terry
  • Options
    If goducks1 says that you can get TracLoc with the Dana 35, then I stand corrected: the boy knows his stuff.

I just wasn't all that interested in ABS, and I wanted the heavier-duty rear end.

I DO know, tough, that you don't automatically get TracLoc with the Dana 44. You have to pay the extra $285.00.

tsjay

• Options
    My dealer just contacted me told me he had 2 60th anniversary edition wranglers in stock.
    He said this is a sport/sahara combo.
    Only available in black or silver..
    Any comments?
  • Options
    Sounds like a good subject for discussion in the chat tonight.

I don't know anything about the 60th anniversary edition, but I would like to hear about it. Either of the colors sounds good.

Are they as willing to deal on those as they are on the regular Wranglers? You know there are some killer deals on Wranglers now and there's the $500 rebate.

tsjay
  • Options
    VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if they widened the stance in 94? thanks dan
  • Options
    Hey, the chat session was a blast. I hope everyone will participate next week. The hour just flew by.

We had Volare, Jeepcrewzn, Tonkadave, Hosstj, Saharanut, and yours truly. (Sorry if I left anyone out) Where were the rest of you Jeepers?

tsjay

• Options
    jeepcrewznjeepcrewzn Member Posts: 8
    Checked my e-mail after tonight's chat and low and behold I've joined twylie and tjy in D-1 status. My ship date is March 19, which will be exactly 24 days from the date my dealer placed the order.

Make every day a topdown day!
  • Options
    bhowell2bhowell2 Member Posts: 15
    The width is the same on all TJ's and YJ's. Older CJ's are narower than late modles, not sure what year they started it.
    Brian
  • Options
    the 60th anniversary edition wrangler is like the sahara body color wheel flares, rocker sills
    30" tire & wheel group, embroidered floor mats, dual top & speed control...
    had a great time at at the chat last night
    hope we have more next week

see ya
  • Options
    If you don't think you'll be doing lots of really rough off-roading, then I think the Dana 44 is overkill. If you plan on lifting yr Jeep and putting 33" tires on it, then get the Dana 44. I have 30" BFG A/Ts on my Jeep and that's plenty enough for me. I don't imagine I will ever want to lift my Jeep. I do drive on snow alot in the mountains here in the winter so I wanted ABS, which (once you get used to them) are quicker than pumping the brakes. I love the trak-lok: I have NEVER ONCE felt my Jeep lose traction in 4wd. Limited slips are awesome and don't carry the handling penalties of full-on lockers. Again, it just depends on what you want from your Jeep. With ABS, trak-lok, and 30" tires I feel that I get the best of everything: a vehicle that is moderately awesome off-road and still handles decently in-town and on snow.
  • Options
    Thanx for the info...
    thats about what i'm leaning to...
    i'm really not planning to do any off-roading..
    i'm not into spending 25,000 on a vehicle to muddy. Have you heard what the best ARP new jeeps are geeting now?..

Thanx again
    saharanut
  • Options
    Now that you've mentioned it, I have watched my antenna, and it DOES flop around a lot in the wind.

Now, that's all I can look at while I'm driving! Thank you very much!! :)

tsjay

• Options
    2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    tsjay, wleeke and others I know....sorry I missed the chat last night. How many people showed up? I was in Canada on a business trip. I did get to drive past the Jeep plant in Toledo twice this week though!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1426591&a=10683235

• Options
    Hey, Boy, been missin' you! We had about a half a dozen chatters last night. It was fun. Go back a few posts and you can see who was there in one of my posts.

Get your butt back on the puter sometime and chat with your old buddy!

tsjay
  • Options
    hey guy...
    had a great time in chat last night...
    we need to get more folks next week!

Keep huggin your jeep
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    tsjay, I found a picture of what thelma would look like with that Bikini top that you were talking about. link below.

http://matchboxes.homestead.com/thelma.html

• Options
    Well, I'm glad to see you finally bought a Jeep!

tsjay

• Options
    everyone must be out enjoying their jeeps..
    (sigh) well mybe someday..
  • Options
    Saharanut, I'm here, Dude. Do you have Instant Message? We can chat any time you want to.

Put me on your buddy list as "tjoh298765"

Or, look up my email address in my profile and email me.

tsjay

• Options
    ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    I have a Sahara with ABS/Trac-lock/30" tire group and agree it makes a fine snowmobile. I live in Boston and I have had more opportunity than I would otherwise like to prove it this year.

I would second your opinion that unless you can identify a specific reason to need the heavier rear-end, you are better off with ABS. All virtues aside, the Wrangler is a somewhat touchy car and I think safety systems like ABS are a better investment than on on the typical "family" vehicle. I think ABS should be standard equipment and it's a shame it's not available with the Dana 44.

-cwk.
  • Options
    Guys,

I picked up a set of auxiliary back-up lights I'd like to wire up. A few questions:

1. Any idea on whether doing this myself causes warranty issues? I know DC won't cover _my_ work, but it won't void anything else, will it?

2. I looked under the car and don't see any good ways to run power back from the engine area. So I'm thinking of trying to follow the path used to run the wires to the signal lights in back. Any ideas?

3. My fuse block has a lot of open space, and I'd like to try and use it b/c I like to keep things neat and professional. Has anybody here done this?

-cwk.
  • Options
    I can't imagine voiding the warranty as long as you don't hack the factory harness. I would recommend running a spearate circuit, switched in the cab to accomplish this. I'm working from info off of other boards, but supposedly, there are a couple of free wires behind the glove box for just this kind of thing. These leads should already be tied into the fuse block and are supposedly in a marked bundle of wires. I read there is a switched lead as well as an always hot. Whatever you do, I would recommend running the lights off a relay and be sure to fuse the direct lead to the battery close to the terminal, or at least on the engine side of the firewall.

For a switch, you can pick up a factory fog lamp switch for less than $25 which will keep things looking very stock. I don't remember if you have a hard top and fog lights, but the location next to the ashtray will hold up to three switches.

The fuse block is also an option, but may not be neccesary if the phantom wires actually exist.

Of course, YMMV.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

ATL was a killer top down day today. Sunny and 60.

-twylie
  • Options
    Did Mrs. Saharanut come around yet? Gonna get that Jeep?

tsjay

• Options
    Thanks for the info. I actually have 1 switch bank open (came with fog lights) but I also have the "heavy-duty electrical group" which means I get a fancy-dandy fuse block in the engine compartmnt. Quite nice actually.

My current plan is to run some juice back from there to the lights, and wire a relay into my signals so that the aux's go on when my regular reverse lights go on. The main problem is figuring out _where_ to run the power wire: undercarriage offers nothing promising, and if I run through the interior, don't know where to start.

Shutup about the ATL weather, okay? ;)

-cwk.
  • Options
    As I'm sure you have all been anxiously awaiting the next report on Thelma Jane's gas mileage, here it is: she got 17.5 this time. The pump was acting strange, and I think I ended up over-filling a little compared to my normal fill-up. That should help the next tank, but hurt a little on this one.

If I remember correctly, that makes her last few tanks 17.5, 18.0, 17.9, 17.9, and 19.0 from most recent backwards. I'm totally happy with that.

She has 4460 miles on her now. Still not a bit of trouble other than the bad spot on her hard top paint and the small paint run on her right rear corner. Chrysler paid for a complete repaint of the top, and the job turned out real well. They approved a repaint of the right rear corner section to fix the paint run, but I would rather keep the factory paint, and I am not worried about that small paint run.

I got a J.D. Power survey on Thelma, but I don't know how to rate her on things like ride smoothness, quiet, fuel economy, and stuff like that. Of course all of those things are terrible on a Jeep, but I knew that when I bought her. I can't see buying her knowing those things and then giving her a bad rating on a survey!

I LOVE my Thelma, and I don't want somebody reading my survey and thinking I am not satisfied with her. They really need a separate survey for Jeeps! They don't give you any room for commentary on the survey, well, just a little room in each section, but no place to put your overall feelings about the vehicle.

tsjay

• Options
    TSJay, Jeeps ride rough, are noisy and suck down gas. Not unlike a Ferrari F40 ;)

Knowing that, you bought it anyway, because it had other qualities which made up for those charcteristics. It would however be dishonest to suggest to others that Jeeps are not Jeeps.

That being said, all of those perceived negatives exist because the Wrangler is not built to be a family sedan or luxury SUV. Compared to a Defender or a Mog the Wrangler is a pretty darn civilized vehicle. Saying that a Wrangler rides a bit rough and noisy is different than suggesting a Chevy Cavalier rides rough and a bit noisy.

-cwk.
  • Options
    That's what I mean. Is it fair to a Jeep to rate it on a survey so heavily slanted toward qualities that passenger cars are measured by?

There wasn't even a category for the main reason that I bought Thelma... FUN! There was no place to explain that I EXPECTED low fuel economy, rough and noisy ride, etc., and that I was willing to live with those things in order to drive a Jeep.

It would be silly to rate a Jeep on a CAR survey.

There was no place to rate offroad capability. Now, so far, I have no experience offroading, but that's just another example of what I mean: this was a survey for PASSENGER CARS!

tsjay

• Options
    Well, a Wrangler makes a pretty crappy passenger car. Hey, I love mine too, but if the survey is asking you to compare it to a Taurus on the Taurus's terms, the Jeep will lose. Like you say, put the Taurus on a muddy back road and we'll see which car is more comfortable.

I'd say if you feel so strongly, put a letter in with the survey saying that you think they need to adjust their ratings.

-cwk.
  • Options
    I'm speaking as someone that doesn't YET have a Jeep in the garage, but on all my other vehicles (Explorer, Supra, MG, Lexus SC) I've been able to run amp or aux wiring through the middle of the vehicle under the carpet and console or along the sides of the vehicle under the threshold. I've found there are ususally multiple spots to come through the firewall. Find a rubber grommet or plug and take an icepick to it. The hole will be small enough to get the wire through without a problem with wind or water. A bag of zip ties from your local home improvement store keeps everything from touching everything else.

I agree that the undercarriage is a bad place for wiring, but pull out the torx bits and see where you can snake stuff under the TJ carpet.

I think we'll get the heavy electrical with the fog lights, so it's good to hear we'll have some space in the fuseblock. I saw an install where the poster installed a barrier strip from Radio Shack to give themselves a set of ground connections. I thought it was a great idea. I always end up unscrewing something in an effort to slip a ground wire behind a bracket. A dedicated ground strip eliminates one potential problem.

Wiring into the backup lights sounds good. I've found the "tie in" taps where you have a connector that splices into an existing wire work very well.

If it makes you feel any better, it's getting down to mid 30's tonight with rain for the next day or so... I'll try to refrain from rubbing in top down days if you'll avoid telling us how much fun it is to ride around in the snow...

t-minus 4 days to gettin' on the train.
    -twylie
  • Options
    I emailed J.D. Power and I have not sent in the survey yet. Since it's the weekend, I probably won't hear from them until at least tomorrow.

I made all the same points in my email as in my posts here.

They ask you to rate things on a scale of one to ten according to your opinion of how well your vehicle does in each of the categories.

Well, since this is subjective, I could rate Thelma's gas mileage as a ten, because she gets all that I was expecting. That's the problem with the survey. I could also rate her gas mileage as a one, compared to the overall average for all vehicles. It all depends on your perspective.

tsjay

• Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Hello to everybody. Thanks to all who posted dealer's websites. I was able to beat my current price by over $800 by going to JeepWarehouse.com. They quoted me a 2001 Wrangler, D package, ABS, TracLoc, SoftTop, Tint, Subwoofer, side steps, locking trunk, fog lights, A/C, full metal doors, and sentry key for $20,636 (with rebate). They said it would be a little more for them to deliver to almost any dealer in the US. Now if my dealer will match (he claims he will when he sees the official order form from Jeepwarehouse.com).

I feel like this is a great deal. Any suggestions?

Madman390
  • Options
    jeepnlongbeachjeepnlongbeach Member Posts: 1
    madman390! Just read your Mar 12 entry and tried pricing it on Jeep Warehouse myself. However, the best I could do was $23,206. Would you please give an itemized breakdown of the charges? I think that would help me determine where I've errored.

Like you, I'd like to see if my local dealer is interested in matching!

JeepnLongBeach
  • Options
    Hi guy! All I can tell you is that I got my Thelma Jane with the Dana 44, 30" tires, and a HARD TOP WITH TINTED WINDOWS for around $22,100, and that was BEFORE the rebate started. I also got air conditioning and cruise, which you didn't mention. You got a few things that I didn't, though, like TracLoc and ABS.

If you put the rebate back onto the price of $20,636.00, you are at $21,136.00, which is within $1000.00 of what I paid.

It is hard to compare deals on vehicles with different equipment- that's the reason you have to talk price in relation to invoice. According to posts in here, you ought to be able to buy your Jeep at invoice and still get the $500.00 rebate, so you can effectively buy at $500.00 below invoice.

I bought Thelma for $200.00 over invoice, which was about as good as anyone was doing back then. The rebate was not in effect yet, so I missed out on that. Theoretically, I could get the same Jeep now for $700.00 less with the rebate and all.

Take a look at Thelma's web page and read about my buying experience, if you are interested.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

Hope you get the best possible deal and enjoy your Jeep. I sure love my Jeep!

tsjay

• Options
    Hey..
    I'm geeting closer..Mrs Saharanut..actually went to look at TJ's today....I really like the 60th anniversary edition...the interior is ALOT better than the Sahara...with the same Options..
    I'll keep ya posted

T
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    I also saw the anniversary edition today. One in black and one in silver, both automatics. Its just like a sahara without those green seats and sahara badge. I like it too. Now if I could just get MY wife onboard....
  • Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Here's the info I got from jeepwarehouse.com:
    Item Price
    2001 Wrangler Sport 17543
    D package 527
    A/C 761
    TRACLOC 242
    ABS 510
    Full Doors 106
    Soft Top Tint 106
    Sentry Key 64
    Subwoofer 170
    Side Steps 64
    Fog Lights/Hooks 153
    Trunk 106
    Destination 585
    Chrsler Fee 300
    Rebate -500
    Total 21,237
    Their Price 20,537
    Processing Fee 149

Total Sale Price 20,686

He was even kind enough to fax me the no kidding order form with the price clearly annotated. My dealer will have a hard time refuting it!

madman390
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    TJay, sounds like your mileage is going down, not up, as you expected. Have you checked your tires lately?
  • Options
    shotgundanshotgundan Member Posts: 8
    I ordered my 2001 Sahara on March 5th. Checked with the dealer this morning and found out the factory ship date is March 16th with delivery expected by March 30th. I'm anxiously awaiting.
  • Options
    After 3 loooooooong weeks in D or D1 status, I called at 2:30 today and found out we're in F - paint. Looks like the estimated ship date of 3/15 may hold assuming we don't become one of the "special" Jeeps to get pulled for a full QC inspection.

I can count at least 4 on the board that should get on the train this week. Fingers crossed!

I can honestly say I have never been as excited to get a new vehicle.

-twylie
  • Options
    Hey guys...
    Looks like we are in the same situation..
    We need to get our wives together..then we sneak out to buy our TJ's...whatcha say?

SaharaNut
  • Options
    No, man, my mileage ain't goin' down! It has come UP to about an 18 average, and I ain't complainin' about that at all!

The tire pressure will be checked soon. Thelma has almost 4600 miles on her, and at 5000 she will get her first dose of Mobil 1. They will check the tire pressure then. Pressure was OK at her 2000 mile oil change.

I do need to check it between oil changes, though, cause keeping the right pressure will help gas mileage, no doubt.

tsjay