Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    I too have a 2011 Equinox with about 14000 miles on the car, it is a 4 cyl as well. I liked this vehicle so much, I bought a Terrain as well. To date the Equinox runs fine but the Terrain has made the dreaded noise once and I have started a dialog with my selling dealer.

As to gas mileage per EPA ratings those claims have had caveats for many years and if you feel that you are going to get better mileage with the V6 you may be in for a rude awakening. I am not trying to flame you here but just to point out some realistic basis for the mileage you now get.

With regard to the other problems you wrote about, I wish you good luck in your dealings with the dealer/GM on these issues. The state where I live has a lemon law that allows for 3 repair attempts on the same problem and if not fixed you can invoke the law and move forward to dump the car.

Good luck.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    the gas mileage is advertising. they only say the highway mileage so unless thats all you do you wont get it. in the 80 s (last time gas prices skyrocketed) they made a law that the ads must highlight the city mileage. made for less angry customers.
  • cat317cat317 Member Posts: 3
    Though I will agree that the EPA are advertising, when I did have my 2011 Equinox (bought back from Chevy due to hiring a lawyer and going through Lemon Laws statute) despite the fact that 95% of all driving I do in the car was highway, my average mpgs on the car NEVER went above 21 (ended up putting 5,000 miles on it)
    However, in replacement of my Equinox, I purchased a 2011 Kia Sorento and I must say that 2,000 miles in, my average MPG's in this car is an incredible 28.8. Same routes, same driver, the only thing that has changed is the vehicle itself. The Kia is rated up to 32...pretty accurate i'de say which leads me to believe even further that there is TRUELY something wrong with the engines in the Equinox.
  • nick082579nick082579 Member Posts: 7
    I don't expect to get 32 miles per gallon, and I work in marketing so I know what advertising is and how it works. I think GM and the EPA is making an outright false in this case. You can't lie in your advertisements to increase sales. You are supposed to highlight why your item is the best.

The estimated milage is 32 HWY and 22 CTY. I would expect to get a good mix here. We purchased the car on April 6, 2011.

My beef is that with the car having 5000 miles on it and with my wife driving to work 70 miles per day for a total of 51 days that would be 3570 miles on the vehicle, just driving to work. Her parents live over 38 (roundtrip 76 miles) miles away so that is a trip every weekend meaning that is another 836 miles. That means 88% of the miles on this vehicle are HWY. In my estimation, I should be around 28-29 MPG. I'm at 23!!! More than 20% less than my estimation. FALSE ADVERTISING!!!

You can always sell if you are willing to lie to your customers. It's going to bite Chevy in the butt soon! A few days ago the CEO of GM said he would like to see a $1 increase in the gas tax, that's just so his UNION and GOVERNMENT owned company can reduce the amount of future R&D investment. I'm fed up with this crap!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2011
    I think part of the issue is that it's the EPA requiring the testing (and even doing some of it, or at least double-checking the manufacturer's tests), and the EPA is putting the numbers online and on the Monroney sticker on new cars. I don't know if that's advertising by the EPA or just reporting results.

The car makers can then advertise that their cars get an EPA rated XX miles per gallon, because they tested the mileage using the federal rules and the results were vouched for by the EPA. Look at the disclaimers on the official Equinox page from Chevy - footnotes 5 and 8 specifically refer to EPA estimates.

And then they'll say your mileage may vary.
    Well GM puts it in their literature that the Equinox can get 600 miles per tank. When I fill mine up, the car says 440. I'm buying the car from GM not the EPA. I could care less what the EPA states. I only care about what GM and my salesman tells me.

The gas mileage isn't the only issue here....The car does not work, so it opened the door for me to bring this other disappointment to their attention. My wife is 7 months pregnant. I don't have time to deal with GM fiddiling around with a POS car. I want it fixed and right now!!!
    edited July 2011
    I thought I had seen one post around the forums here where someone won a lemon law case based on poor mileage, but I didn't bookmark it and don't see any now.

Found one where someone lost their hearing because their mpg was within the "EPA legal range", whatever that means. (link)

This will be GM's response if you open a case with them:

gmcustsvc, "GMC Acadia Real World MPG" #101, 12 May 2011 8:33 am

That said, contacting the rep may result in a regional engineer taking a ride in your 'Nox and checking it out.

This Edmunds Answer may help too.

Going to the dealer is a huge pita, but if you think you'll qualify under your state's lemon law for the mpg or your other issues, you'll have to go at least three times, often more, and document every visit and the result. More fun to enjoy the new kiddo, but you know what they say about the squeaky wheel.
    Here is the Lemon Law in Illinois:

In order to be covered by the Illinois Lemon Law, a vehicle must:

•have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or

•be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

The Lemon Law DOES Cover: New Cars (purchased or leased)
    Light Trucks and vans under 8,000 pounds
    Recreational vehicles (excluding trailers)
    Vehicles in their first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first
    Vehicles purchased in Illinois

I'm in the shop on attempt #3 to solve car stalling issue. The gas mileage complaint is separtate and irritating.
    edited July 2011
    When I lived in Idaho, it was four attempts and then the dealer got one last chance to fix it after that. Pretty worthless consumer law in other words, heavily favored toward the dealer/manufacturer.

There's other warranty provisions that may apply and may not be superseded by the lemon law so you may want to check into that.
  • mcgermmcgerm Member Posts: 21
    Got the video... That was easy because it is happening at every start.

Today the Nox failed to start twice on the first try. Both times a extended run of the knocking noise and then it did not start.

It restarted on the second try but with the noise... That's how I got the video.

Appt with dealer Tuesday.
  • sbozicsbozic Member Posts: 2
    We just took our 2011 Equinox to the dealer for service for the start up noise. Our problem is intermittent. The noise is really disturbing when it happens. Sounds like a Diesel for approx. 2 seconds upon start-up. I sent the service manager a copy of this site and the video posted online by another Equinox owner with the exact same issue. I will post a follow-up once we get the vehicle back.
  • arveejayarveejay Member Posts: 9
    He'll never view the video, he has to hear it for himself.
    They had it all day yesterday and could not find anything. The service manager said the mechanic was online for hours researching the issue.

They got the problem to repeat for them today and so they decided to tear into the engine. What he found sounded a bit odd and his explanation was very general and vague. He said they found a broken part/spring on a valve and some clogging in a cover plate that channels oil to the valves.

They are waiting on a 'bunch' of parts that will come in tomorrow but they may or may not be able to finish it up until Friday.

I really want to see the detailed write up when it is done. I hope that they will share it.
  • sbozicsbozic Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Just got my Equinox back for the noise at start-up. My service manager was able to reproduce the noise once. They updated the software and it was explained to me that the noise was caused by a programming issue, which gave the wrong info to the solenoid and cam phaser.

My receipt states the following:

Cause: RECALL

V2443 11195 Reprogram ECM
    54 WMC4

Hope this fix holds up and the info will help someone else. I will update.
    Set back. No resolution on the problem. I have been renting a car since Tuesday to get back and forth to my job sites. It looks like I will need to continue doing that for the forseeable future.

I am now at the point of truly regretting this vehicle purchase. I thought I did good research and comparison shopping, but now I feel embarressed and a complete fool for choosing an Equinox. I wonder who is enjoying my old reliable 2001 Altima now?
  • auntiep22auntiep22 Member Posts: 29
    I just got my LTZ out of the shop today after a week long visit. The first time it was in was for when it died while driving on the freeway at 70mph. It also had trouble starting and was indeed making a noise. As you said it does it intermittently. They replaced the intake camshaft solenoid valve and said it was good to go. Will, it started acting up again - trying to die while driving and running crappy. Yesterday, I received a call from the service [non-permissible content removed]'t manager stating that they found "dirt" in the oil. I just about flipped as the car only has less than 2500 miles on it. They had taken it on an "extensive road test" to see if it would happen to them but nothing. When they started it up yesterday, it made a horrible noise so they finally checked the oil and found debris in the oil. I just picked it up this afternoon to find that they removed and cleaned the actuator (why not replace with a new one?) and changed the oil and filter.
    The service manager has been in contact with Chevy's Engineering about the problem and Chevy stated that they will have new software for the computer soon.
    My problem is: If there is debris in the oil, doesn't it cause internal damage to the engine? I may be a dumb girl but I know that if something is dirty and you keep running it dirty, it will eventually do damage. I was told not to worry as no damage will be done to the internal engine. What are your opinions?
    Also, I hope that the mileage improves. It gets nothing like it's rated at. The best on the road has been 24.7mpg and round town on an average of about 14mpg. I should have kept my '98 Blazer! I just thought that having a 4cyl. would be great on gas - WRONG!!
  • arveejayarveejay Member Posts: 9
    Sumr616, you are not supposed to know that metal flakes floating around in your oil, getting in your bearings, and scratching and marring otherwise smooth surfaces is possible. When they tell you that those filings can't do damage, your supposed to smile and say, oh ok.
    Yeah, meanwhile your engine has substained internal damage and they just sit back and laugh because as a girl you don't know anything! Thanks!
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    gas mileage will improve with miles. dirty oil should be filtered out by oil filter so i wouldnt worry about that at this point. maybe they couldnt find any thing wrong so changing oil was the answer.
  • sumr616sumr616 Member Posts: 90
    Agreed. Girls aren't dumb. Pushovers are dumb. There is a HUGE difference. And honey, I'm no pushover. lol.

Well, debris in your oil is definitely a problem. Hopefully there is little to no damage at this point though. All I can say is to have it all documented by warranty, no matter what. Most of the time, as long as it happens within warranty period, they'll still cover it after the warranty is up. Just make sure they document every single little thing. The copy that they turn in for the warranty usually varies slightly from the customer copy, more detailed info about the parts/work, etc. I always read the warranty copy and make sure that it shows the important information. In this case, make sure that it shows debris in oil, and see if they'll make a note of this being your first oil change, etc. They may or may not, not sure.
  • kdandme2kdandme2 Member Posts: 1
    We have a new 2011 Equinox with 1900 miles and it's now in the shop for the second time for same start up noise...sometimes it even dies!!! Dealership service shop says they don't know how to fix it...I contacted GM filed a complaint, received a case# and Field Mgr who spoke with dealership only to tell us there is nothing they (GM) can do either...we simply have to drive the equinox with the horrible start up noise until the car simply breaks down???!!! I've always bought Chevrolet...NEVER AGAIN!!!! I am seriously disappointed in the dealership--where has customer service gone??? And even more disappointed in GM!!! Since when did Americans quit backing the products they built? This is pathetic!!! I own my own business and I ALWAYS stand behind my products--customer satisfaction is priority!!! This new vehicle is a piece of crap and I will NOT drive it like this...Please help us and advise...I do not want to seek legal advise but I certainly will force the dealership & GM to do the right thing!!!!
    Refer them to GM Bulletin PIP4716a, as a starting point. Have they tried any kind of repair at all? If you begin reading this thread from the very beginning, somewhere along the way someone posted a copy of the bulletin, print it out and take it to the dealership service department. Make sure they listen to you, and read the bulletin. They may look up themselves, which is fine, and they may/may not complete the repair. GM has also issued a second bulletin, stating that the repair may not fix the problem, and that they are currently working on a fix. If they tell you this, it's ok. They have told a few others this, in the last few weeks, but there are also some dealers out there still trying the repair in the PIP476a bulletin.

WHATEVER they say to you, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that they write up the service visit properly so that it will all be recorded/noted on your warranty. This will cover you later on down the road.

The important part is just to have it noted on your warranty. Whenever a new fix comes out, you'll certainly hear about it on this forum (and other forums as well). The original repair was to replace the "cam phase actuators" and to check for debris in oil, however it has not worked on almost all cars that have gotten that repair done. Word is that GM is now thinking it's an issue with the software, so they are working on a software update. Stuff like that will just take time to work it's way through the system, but nobody knows for sure yet what's going on- GM is being pretty vague bout it right now. But I would absolutely makes sure they see that PIP4716a bulletin, let them try what they can/are able to, and remember they may or may not try the repair, but as long as a full write-up is done for your warranty, you should be okay for now. Good luck, check back here every few days.
  • jade62973jade62973 Member Posts: 24
    Hi all,

Well, having gotten nowhere with GM I have now made a complaint with the BBB Auto Line division. I suggest to everyone still having problems and being told "there's nothing we can do." to just keep pushing the issue. Whether that means continuing to take your vehicles to the dealership (different dealer to perhaps get better perspective from other service men), filing a complaint with the BBB (after trying directly with GM) or hiring an attorney it is up to you but do not give up! Everyone has legitimate issues and GM needs to address them, not shrug them off because in many cases (mine included) they will if you let them. All this is a pain and very time consuming but important. We bought these vehicles with hard earned money and they should function correctly.....period! GM needs to stand by its customers who are supporting them with their patronage. I only speak for myself but I am feeling very pushed to the wayside by GM. Good luck all! Don't give up! :)
  • usrdmxusrdmx Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    I purchased a used 2010 Equinox LTZ a couple of months ago and noticed some things I thought were a bit odd, but I'm not sure if that is they way they were designed to work or if I am indeed having some kind of problem that needs the dealers attention. I'm hoping to compare notes with other owners.
    #1 - The Memory Seat seems to have a mind of its own. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it decides to adjust automatically to the driver. My wife will exit the car and the seat will go full back (as it is programmed to do). I'll enter the car and the seat will not move forward or sometimes it will move to my wifes position. I will exit the car and the next seat adjustment will go back to my wife's setting. I thought it would return to the last drivers setting automatically.
    #2 - The Climate Control must be manually engaged (hit the Auto button) each time the car is re-started. My thinking is.....if it's Auto Climate Controlled, why should I have to turn it on everytime I use the car. My other car stays at its last setting so I don't have to fiddle with it unless I want to change the tempuature or another setting.
    3# - When I travel the interstate highway where I live, the transmission shifts @ the slightest hint of an incline in the road. Our highway is relatively flat, but if the road rises slightly, the transmission shifts to 5th gear until it flattens again. It seems like the shift points are too close together between 5th and 6th.
    Has anyone else noticed this and thanks for your response.
    Don't have memory seats, but read through the manual- is your wife's setting #1? Not sure, but maybe it somehow resets to #1 automatically? Maybe you can change that setting through the "infotainment center?"

For #2- I don't have "auto" climate. Do you mean you set the temp, and it adjusts periodically to maintain that temp? I don't have that feature....lol....My AC settings stay the same all the time. Every once in a while I do notice that I have to push the recycle button again, but it's like, once a month that it resets to the other and I'll have to repress the recycle air button. If you have "auto climate" then you might also be able to change that through the infotainment center- just like how you change whether or not you want the doors to unlock automatically when put into park...

Haven't experienced #3 either.
    #3 is an easy one to explain. It is simply a 6 speed automatic 5th and 6th are very close together as you have noticed. This is normal.

I am having other drive train concerns so I did a lot of reading online about the engines and transmission this past weekend. I least from that I am able to answer your concern... my concern is still a mystery.
    sumr616
    Thanks for your reply. It's not the temp that needs re-adjusting. There is a button on the dash that turns the Auto Climate Ctrl on & off. Whenever you shut the vehicle down and start it again it resets the Ctrl (turns it off) and you have to push the "Auto" button again to engage the Climate Ctrl. You would think it would always go back to the last setting (ON). My thought is, if you have Automatic Climate Ctrl, you shouldn't have to do anything other than adjust the temp. If I had it ON today, then chances are I'll want it ON tomorrow and the next day.
    Thanks for the tip. I will check the manual again and look to the Ctrl / Info Center for answers.
    You have a good point on the seat. I'll check that too. And she is #1....just ask her.
    mcgerm
    Thanks.
    Good luck resolving your problem. I apprciate the reply. At least I know there's no trouble and I'll just live with it It seems to be a good vehicle. Just need to get used to it. The wife likes it a lot. That's important 8-&
  • lazy_boneslazy_bones Member Posts: 28
    My "Auto" comes up in "Auto" every time I re-start the car - I don't have to push the button at all.
  • equinox5079equinox5079 Member Posts: 18
    We did a lot of research on the best car for our family and decided on the Equinox because of the price, space, and gas mileage.

One week later, we were on the way to my daughter's birthday party when the engine light came on. On Star ran a diagnostic and said we needed to take it in within 24 hours. The service department at Chevy said the power to the engine and transmission was off and the computer was reset. We were concerned that this happened after one week of owning the car.

Two weeks later, we were driving down the street and the car died in the middle of the road. I had my infant and 3-year-old in the car and was thankful we we were not on the highway. I restarted the car and then it died in the driveway. It was towed away and is at the shop now. They are not sure what is wrong but the check engine light is on again.

The dealer would not give us a rental because it was towed on Saturday night and the enterprise is closed on Sunday. We asked if we could bill them and they said we could try GM but they didn't know if they'd pay.

We are very, very frustrated that the car is 29 days old, has 900 miles, and has been in the shop twice. My wife doesn't want to drive our children around in the car for fear it will die on the highway with two small kids in carseats.

Obviously, this seems like a bad omen for the car and we have the feeling there will be continuing problems on this possible lemon. We will never buy a Chevrolet again.
  • fuzzhead1fuzzhead1 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem! We were on vacation and I pulled into a gas station and filled up and when I turned on my vehicle and started to pull out my vehicle just died and I had alot of people slamming on breaks as I almost got rear eneded. This has happen at least 12 times in two days. At first in went into the repair shop for the loud noise when you first start it and they told me it was the timing chain and they replaced that not it just keeps on dying. I hope GM can do something!
  • fuzzhead1fuzzhead1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2011 Chev Equinox has had nothing but problems! It first started with the loud noise when you first started it and the dealership did not hear it. They I video the sound and schedule a appt and they came and picked it up and hear the sound finally. They had it for 3 days and they said it was the timing chain so they replaced it. I got it back and after 1 day it started with the noise again and it started to shut it self off now when driving slow. The first time it was after I run into the grogery store came out and started my vehicle and took off it just shut right down. The second time I was at a gas station, I filled up started my vehicle took off to get back on the highway and it shut off I almost caused an accident and just missed being read ended. I called the dealership as I was on vaction and they are taking it back in and hopefully they can get this corrected all under 4,000 miles not bad for a new vehicle....haha
    The car also made a strange sound when we started (now that I am reading the boards, this seems to be common) and it jerked a few times, almost like it was shifting. Has anyone actually had their car fixed for good? For safety reasons, I am very uncomfortable keeping this car with two small children. This is ironic because one reason we purchased this was because it was "Safe."
    Bought my Nox in April, had it for about 3 weeks and started having problems. Went out one morning and attempted to start it and it made a awful noise and felt like it was running on about 2 cyls. It finally died and got it restarted and backed out of the driveway into the street. Put it in drive and it died again and again at the stop. Got out on the boulevard and it died again. Called the dealer and they came and got it with a loaner for me. They replaced the intake camshaft solenoid valve which didn't make any difference as it died again on the freeway while driving at 70mph! This is not cool. My guardian angels were working OT that day!! It was in the shop for a week and they found "debris" in the engine oil! In other words, metal shavings were found in the oil. One can only guess what kind of damage this has caused internally. It only had less than 2000 miles when this happened. Had the heated seats come on without touching the controls on the dash. Don't need heated seats in this kind of weather! Went to pick it up this morning and drove it off the lot and it quit on me again. Got it started and drove it back to service and it's there once again. Personally, I think that there are so many parts made here and there that nothing talks to the computers onboard. It's not like the old days that you could take bailing wire and a pair of plyers and fix a problem; now it's all computerized and big bucks. I think GM needs to go back to the good old days and leave the electronics behind!
    As for your rental/loaner problem: Call GM Customer Service. Talk to a rep and tell them your problem with the dealer and not having a loaner. I have never had a problem with getting a loaner car from any dealer that I have dealt with. This dealer must be a winner and really wants business - NOT! I'm sure GM Customer Service will help you resolve your problem. Good Luck!!
    @auntiep, what are you going to do with your car? Sounds like a real lemon. That is my biggest fear, driving with a newborn and 3-year-old on I95 when the car decides to die. Yes, our dealer is a real winner. We found out today, the car failed at less than 100 miles when it was transferred from one dealer to another and they had to fix the engine. They never disclosed this issue to us or we would NEVER have bought this car. Who wants a brand new car that dies before it is sold?!! Crazy! We are so upset. GM has a file and is investigating. I am not holding my breath.
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    Which engine are you refering too,4 or 6 cyl.?
    Hi 5079- WOW! I'm so sorry to hear your delimna. It sounds like a BIG lawsuit too me!! I don't understand how one dealer so calls "fixes" the problem and ponds the car to another dealer. Sounds like they are both crooks. How did you find out about the car? CARFAX? GM definitely doesn't need dealers like this representing them!
    I got a phone call this afternoon and Chevy agreed to buy back my Nox! I'm in shock. I had help from the Service Mgr and the owner of the dealer too. I think they are tired of seeing me and getting my phone calls. The owner drives a Nox and I've had it the last week plus - no problems with it so, I'm buying it in a straight trade. They get mine and I get his. Don't ask me how it works but I'm happy to have a car that runs and I don't have to worry everytime I get into it. I go tomorrow to do the paperwork.
    I still would phone GM Customer Service and see what they can do about the loaner and paying for the rental. I'm sure that someone there will see you are ligit and not trying to rip them off. Gee, you do have a "new"? car - you thought. That's terrible to do something like that to a family. Please keep me informed. Good Luck and stay safe!
    4 cyl. The 6 cyl hasn't had problems that I'm aware of. I think that the weight of the car is a major factor with the 4 cyl. Small engine with too much weight.
  • jade62973jade62973 Member Posts: 24
    I have read sooo many similar issues with the 2011 4 cyl Equinox LTZ and of customers getting the run around from either their dealer or GM (both in my case). I really think at some point it needs to be elevated and a case brought up against GM to either repurchase these vehicles or perhaps just recall the 4 cylinder's altogether.

I thought I had done my homework on my Equinox and it's terrible! I don't know how it was "top rated." I do not want to put my family in my truck but like most people buying another vehicle (since I literally just bought this one) is not an option. A money tree does not grow in my back yard. It's sickening that GM is being allowed to give their customers the run around and that we are left with malfunctioning vehicles. It's very sad and frusterating! Good luck and keep complaining until they listen. They are in business because of us, the consumer. Keep the faith and keep us posted! :)
    I'm just stunned eveytime i read about these Equinox engine issues, I have over 32000 Hwy / city miles on my nox and no engine issues; I like the way it performs and my average MPG is 22-28 overall.
    Roykulp, you are so lucky! I was stunned having such significant problems after 2 weeks of owning the car!! I did research too, and everywhere we go, everyone says what a great car it is! I don't know if we are just the few unlucky ones...

btw, I have a 4cyl. I am praying that GM will do something to help us. We feel cheated that the car broke down before we even purchased it (with 100 miles) and the dealer did not disclose this information. But, I am not holding my breath.
    I am happy to hear they will buy your car back. I hope the new one works perfectly. Yes, this was in the carfax, but we didn't ask for one. I didn't realize I needed a carfax for a brand new car!! Lesson learned the hard way.
    A dealer traded the car and the one we purchased it from did not disclose its history. I am not sure when it died (at the original dealer or the one we got it from). Then, it broke down twice more. GM confirmed that the dealer we purchsed the car from was aware of the problem before we bought it.
    I thought I researched it backwards and forewords... I was out to buy a used small SUV with low miles but the more I research the Equinox the better the idea of buying a new Equinox sounded. MPG close to a hybrid, interior room close to a midsize, decent issuance rates and more... I had already driven a 2010 as a rental, I rent a lot of cars for work travel. I had also driven Ford, Kia, Mazda, Honda, and Toyota small SUVs in the last year. So I remembered it as a pleasant driving vehicle and decent up against it's competitors.

I have had two diagnostic trips to the dealer and now I am waiting for parts to come in and them schedule another trip to the dealer for the work to be done. I am crossing my fingers that I am one of the lucky ones to get a permanent fix.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Yes, it's been a fantastic vehicle for me too. I'm really sorry to hear that so many people are having problems. After two years of ownership, I notice there are now four more in my neighborhood. I talk to my neighbors and listen to their engines and can't for the life of me verify what's being discussed on this board in the real world. It's not that I doubt that there are real world problems, but GM has sold tens of thousands of these vehicles and there seems to be less than 50 complaints on this board. I am concerned about the problems, because I want another one in another color for 2012 and don't want to get saddled with the kind of problems I'm reading about here.
  • mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    With Gm instaling thse Ecotec's in Malibu's for several years, Buick lacrosse, GMC terrain Chevy cruze, etc i wonder how bad the engine coule be. I am seriously looking into the GMC terrain and other than the loud ticking from high pressure direct fuel injection, I would like to know what the issue is with the engines. Thanks
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    I'm new to this forum and after reading this thread, let me say that I truly empathize with those who have posted their many ongoing problems with the Equinox engine.

As I'm in the market for a new vehicle and have been looking seriously at the Equinox, could a few of you reply to let me know whether these issues (startup noise, stalling, metal debris in the oil, etc.) are occurring only with the 4 cyl engines?

Has anyone with a 2011 6 cyl Equinox has experienced any issues as well?

All replies greatly appreciated!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I have had a Terrain with the 6 since mid Febuary. Just over 7K miles and no issues thus far.
    I'm glad to hear some other positive comments regarding this SUV; I read these forums and wonder if this is brand bashing, un-realistic expectations for this vehical or real GM issues I should be concerned with!

This SUV has saved me money on fuel expenses and I have not had to put one dime in it since driving off the GM dealers lot nearly 2 years ago. I have 32000 miles on Nox today and still very happy with the performance and reliability.
    edited July 2011
    Some of it is because this is a "Problems" thread and 'nox owners who are simply enjoying their ride don't see the need to post in here.

If you'll nose around the forum, you'll find "Problems" threads for every make and model. And every brand has full service bays at their dealers, and those cars aren't all getting oil changes.

There's not enough "I love my ride" discussions, but that's human nature I think. You can find some of the happy camper posts in the 2011 Chevy Equinox discussion.
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    I have both a 2011 Nox and Terrain, each identically equipped with 4 cyl, sunroof, power tailgate and am extremely happy with each. I keep very close watch on these threads here and other sites to discover real problems that are cropping up and potential ones that could affect my vehicles.

At the current time, engine wise, I have heard the clatter noise once in each car but could not get it repeated for the dealer, both are serviced by the same dealership, but I feel the case is on file should something severe happen.

Never would I disrespect or flame those who are having myriad issues with thier vehicles but I do feel that for the price and value in these cars, they are a good choice and should be looked at with a serious eye by would be purcharses.

Thanks for your time.