Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• obiwanobiwan Posts: 57
    If you look at how much the aussies have to shell out for a V8 Monaro, you'd call the GTO reasonable.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Have you guys seen the pics of the Impulse Blue GTO that was surreptitously removed by Holden employees from the holding yard in Sydney and taken to a car show?

GM officials went through the roof when they found out.

I have been trying to post the pics but haven't figure it out yet.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I can't understand how anyone would not think this car is attractive. it looks great in an understated way.
  • I guess my point was that at $32k a buyer has a lot more cars to choose from, even if they aren't all V-8, RWD, coupes. I have never shopped in just one category when I'm looking for a car. I like the idea behind the GTO. I just think that they are pricing it out of range of too many people that would like that kind of car.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    i don't think its overpriced. Look at how much the G35 coupe costs.

The GTO is not meant to be a cheap pony car. Its a GT machine with some amenities and a decent interior from GM for a change.
    In the $33K range, every other vehicle is a compromise. Either you get room for 4 or you get tire smoking performance.

The Mustang has the performance but the back seat is useless. The same could be said of the F-body. (RIP)

The rest of them have the room but horsepower numbers well under 300 in their V6 motors.

The GTO offers performance and room for 4 in a very reasonably priced package. And the styling is clean and understated. Just what I want. To top it off, the build quality and interior are far better than most GM products.

To get the same level of performance and space, you have to go up $10K or more in any other vehicle.

To me, the GTO is quite the bargain.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    The GTO has 37" of rear legroom! I don't think the Maruader has that much.
    There is so much legroom back there that the backseats look like they are iin another time zone.

To put things in perspective, the Camaro had 26.8" of rear legroom!

The difference is comfort for a 4'6" person or a 6'2" person.

So I wonder if a Mustang Cobra being quicker is really relevant?

Maybe they should chop a couple of inches out of the wheelbase to make it more intimate back there. LOL.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    I don't think the pricing is too out of line considering it is quite well equipped. try comparing equivalent performance and features in a G35, BMW 3 series or Mustang....
    The dealers may try to bid up the prices as they have on some past autos like the Miata. Mini, PT Cruiser, even the Crossfire from what I hear rumor.
    If you're going to compare the Monaro/GTO to a BMW, you may want to try a 5 series. The 3 series doesn't have nearly enough room to compare. And to get similar performance, you have to step up to a 545. The price difference is not small.
  • The GTO is diffinitely on my list of "must drive" vehicles when I get stateside next summer. I'll see how well it sells itself. Maybe there there is more car there than I think. Orwoody has a point about dealers running up the price. Have you seen the dealer on eBay auctioning the "right to buy" for the first couple GTO's the dealership is getting?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,374
    Some dealers are bound to gouge when supplies are short, I wouldn't expect that to last as more are brought to market.

I doubt any car with a Pontiac badge could support a price much higher that the current MSRP for very long even with the magic letters GTO attached.

Patience, patience.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• ...they are only making 18,000/year for the next 3 years. That ain't a lot, as they say in the Norfolk Islands.

I expect that they will be selling the GTO for near sticker price for quite some time.

Hi kirstie! I miss you. :-(
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    No need - I'm always around :)

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    s w e e t

I want one now.
  • The GTO is OK but they are making too few for us
    poor guys. Which means they will sell over sticker.

I bought a new '94' Z28 Camaro for 18k in 94
    which was 2k below sticker.

Try doing that with a GTO?

GTO is way overpriced due to the low production.

If it sells well
    when will they increase production?????
    They're working on designing the next generation right now.

The contract with Holden is for 3 years, or so I've heard.

They should have a new one for the 2007 model year that is produced here in the states in much higher quantities.
  • I was wondering. Does anyone know if the GTO is imported from Aussie Land fully assembled or are just major body parts being sourced and final assembly happening here in the US? I don't see how some of the past discussions on dealers taking orders could be true. I would thing with such a low number of units each dealer is gonna get a fixed number for '04 and that's it.
    Nearly full production is being done in Australia. The cars are being driven onto the transport. The only thing missing is the rear wing, which gets put on once it arrives on the west coast.

There's plenty of pictures on various forums.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I wonder what kind of decontenting they will "design" into the next generation.
  • goody4goody4 Posts: 55
    Car and Driver has posted their GTO magazine article online.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- id=7360
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 337
    I heard on an Auto News brief this morning that the reason for the low volume of GTOs is not that Holden can't product more -- they can and would if asked. The problem is that GM has some sort of agreement with the UAW about importing complete cars from overseas (i.e., non-UAW/CAW countries). So they're holding down the number so as to not tick off the union.

Another reason why I personally will not buy a car built in a UAW factory.
  • The old firebird and camaro were down to less then 30K units/year which is a money looser for GM. I also think GM would prefer not to offer a $4K cash back on a car as soon as it's introduced!
    (Like the new Malibu will suffer.) Better to get full list on a model with a tight supply.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    The GTO's price is no where near as high as the Holden Commodore SS, and both cars appear to have the same engine (LS1):

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=- - 4005&useraccessmode=success#disclaimer
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,806
    actually, that's right about the same price given the conversion of the australian dollar to american dollar. Comes out to $35,500.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• jq3jq3 Posts: 52
    GM took an automotive ledgend and screwed it up, except for the motor. The '04 GTO looks like a Gran Prix!!!

For cryin' out loud there are some idiots at GM. Why, Why, Why not build the GTO with a more aggressive look! What is the point of the low budget look?! How could they mess this up? HOW? HOW? HOW?

I gotta go, I am simply fuming with the way GM dropped the ball...again. They should just stick to building trucks and the Vette because none of their cars inspire excitement, especially the new GTO!!!

AAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

JQ3
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,374
    tell us how you really feel.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    jq3: "The '04 GTO looks like a Gran[d] Prix!!!"

I thought they ruined the first GTO too. The damn thing looked just like a LeMans...
  • Well, as the owner of a 1998 Grand Prix GTP coupe, bought equally for looks and performance, I don't think that the resemblance to the (1997 thru 2003) GP is a bad thing. Although, I do like the side profile of the GP better.

I had been seriously considering the GTO, but since I found out how they shrunk the trunk (for the exhaust, gas tank safety, or whatever), I have had second thoughts. I need a good-sized trunk, and the GTO just doesn't cut it, especially when you consider that it is NOT a small car. Oh, well...
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    gordonwd -

"The problem is that GM has some sort of agreement with the UAW about importing complete cars from overseas (i.e., non-UAW/CAW countries). So they're holding down the number so as to not tick off the union."

There are also U.S. import restrictions on importing assembled vehicles from other countries. The reason many foreign automobile manufacturers assemble vehicles in North America is to get around these tarrifs and restrictions. Since this car is being built outside North America, there is a chance it will be imposed to these types of restrictions.
    Many of us who didn't want to drive around in a car looking like a boy racer in gold chains and a mullet have been crying for this car for a very long time.

We now have a domestic automaker producing a car that is:

A) Reaonably priced (compared to anything with the same room, interior quality and performance)

B) Roomy enough for 4 full sized adults

C) Styled for adults who want performance in a car that doesn't scream out "I'm going through a midlife crisis".

The original GTO was never a great styling masterpiece. When it was introduced in 1964, it was just an option on a bland midsize Pontiac car. When GM introduced the flowing C pillar design of the late 60's, the GTO followed. Sure, compared to cars today that are styled after a used bar of soap, the 60's cars are dramatic and sylish. But back then they weren't all that.

I'd like to see a row of GM cars (LeMans, GTO, Cutlass, Chevelle, etc.) with all their badges and identifying stripes removed. Then I'd like to take a bunch of people by and see if they can identify which car is which. I bet you over 75% of the people wouldn't be able to.

Because they were all bland midsize GM coupes back then.

How is the new GTO really any different?

Hot engine + Bland midsize car = GTO

Always has been. Always will be.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Good post, although I don't think it's all that bland or poorly styled. The way some people are puking here you'd think it looks like a Crown Vic. Come on. I haven't seen one yet, but I suspect the deeply curved fenders look pretty cool and pictures generally lose their effect.

I could go for a few more curves, but I'd much rather be short a few than have too many. Yes, the "hey look at me" styling of previous Pontiac performance and some current imports is something I'm happy to avoid.

I love the idea of a large comfortable car with a mean V8 that can roast the tires, and pummel the latest batch of over-hyped V6's. All the while still handling extremely well and delivering good fuel economy too.
This discussion has been closed.