Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    ultimategto has pics of the GTOs in a holding yard.
    They are supposedly on their way to dealers across America!!!
  • I dont care what anyone has to say about the GTO. I want one and its the first time I've been able to say that about a GM car in.....FOREVER.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    (of course I would take a Z06 if someone gave it to me ;D)
  • Right across the border of CT a NY dealer (Meadowlands Pontiac) today sold me an "on the ship" GTO for MSRP (33190). He told me that, unlike in CT, they don't (can't?) tack on stuff to jack up the price like the CT dealer was prepared to do (the one that said MSRP was unknown at present). To this CT dealer I offered 35000, total price. He said he'd get back to me next week and would "give me a good price" (translation: well over 35000).

So, how should I tell the CT dealer I'll probably have my GTO (for 35173, total) before he even sees one? Be nice?

Pretty literate group of writers, we GTO nuts.
  • Casoncase,

Why be nice? Tell the other dealer, "Guess what? The other Pontiac dealer has a customer for life because he gave me a MUCH better deal than you."

Don't tell him the price you paid. Leave him wondering.

By the way folks, don't fall for the salesman's line that "every dealer is marking up the sticker price." All the Pontiac dealers in my city are selling them AT the sticker price, and one dealer said to me, "I know everyone is quoting sticker, but talk to me before you make a deal -- we'll, ahh, work something out." (He wasn't going to announce a price break, but that was his implication.)

See? If you do your homework (consult Edmunds!) and demand respect from the dealer, you won't fall prey. Look at the suckers who could have avoided paying $4,000 over list for a PT Cruiser.
    There is word that a GTO is supposed to arrive at a dealership in San Diego this afternoon and the buyer is ready to take delivery.
    Maybe the first GTO sold.
  • My GTO is in Calif. now. I'm paying 33,190, which it seems is MSRP. Any thoughts on extended warranty? Is there such a thing as a GM extended warranty?

Kudos to you posters. I'd have paid much more for this car without you guys (any women GTO freaks out there? I doubt it). But ultimately the kudos go to edmunds.com.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Yes, GM has their Major Guard warranty (might have renamed it to the GM Protection Plan). It's pretty expensive. There are sites that will sell it at a discount - GMWarrantyCentral is (was? it won't load for me) one, Capper Auto Center is another. If you're really interested, I'd get quotes from them and then see what your local dealer will do for you, if anything...

--Robert
    Hmmmm.

Today info was posted about 2005 GTO pilot cars going down the Holden assembly line.

I am speculating that we might very well see shortened 2004 production and earlier 2005 production.

The 2005 will have hood scoops and dual exhaust and possibly an LS2 engine.

I think it is a very real possibility that Pontiac wants to end 2004 production early and
    get on with the improvements.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    will it mean discounts on the 2004 model?
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    You mean the exhaust tips on either side - right? It already has a true dual exhaust, so the change would just be cosmetic.

I hope changes include the sunroof, and maybe some safety related upgrades. Navigation system? Couldn't care less. Otherwise, it sounds pretty well equipped as is right now. Oh yeah - heated seats too for those that get winter.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    What I also think would be cool is if GM just flat out worked directly with Corsa for an exhaust option that you could get right from the dealer/factory.

I know they spent a lot of time tuning the sound of the GTO exhaust, but I doubt it's straight through like a Corsa system. Their patented sound cancellation system gives you straight pipe performance and it sounds great. It's not loud and is extremely quiet on the highway. So you could get a different sounding and higher performing car with this option.

I think such a teaming arrangement would be cool and give buyers more interesting options.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I use heated seats quite a bit during the winter here in South Florida.
    2 future GTO owners are reporting that their cars arrived at dealerships in California yesterday, and they will be picking up the cars today!
  • I heard that the first cars left the receiving yard on Wedensday and that by next Friday 800 will be at or on their way to dealerships. So that seams to back you up b4z.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Holden Monaro's have seat/mirror memory settings. It appears that these features were removed for GTO's. Wonder what else they pulled out? Seems it would be more expensive to develop a different component than to just build em all the same. Visited my local Pontiac dealer on Wednesday. No brochures or printed materials available for public. They expect their first models to show up in late December. And, of course, hinted at significantly marking up the sticker... what a shock. Wonder how they're gonna handle folks checking out a GTO interior in the showroom and then trying to explain why Grand Prix interiors look so cheap and inferior in comparison.
    Just saw a pic of a GTO geting prepped at a dealership in Cal. Buyer says GM won't release it until Monday.
    Looks like a guy in California picked up his GTO last night.
    Leave it to Popular Mechanics to give us the best
    GTO pic.

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars_trucks/2003/12/ne- w_cars_1203/
    "The GTO is expected to run for three model years and will be limited to 18,000 copies a year. Pontiac brass says that's all the capacity they can get out of the Holden plant. Nice try. The real reason is that's all the GTOs the United Auto Workers will allow."
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    A reporter is hoping to interview someone who is planning to buy a new vehicle in the next three months. If you are interested, please respond to [email protected] by January 1, 2003 with your name and daytime contact information.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• imontyimonty Posts: 13
    Holden's plant in Elizabeth South Australia has just gone to it's third shift ie 24 hr running so there is plenty of scope to up the build rate of GTOs. I think the US Auto Workers are a little short sighted on this as I would have thought that as some parts (engine and gearbox) are US sourced anyway they are getting extra work anyway. Still I spent 8 years in Aircraft Industry Unions here in Australia and some things we did were not great either. If you want to have a look at what is possible with the GTO platform then look at www.hsv.com.au and see the coupe4 which is a 4wd coupe based on the Monaro. HSV are a builder of performance versions of Holdens but are not owned by Holden. There is also talk of using a Holden Commodore Utlility (pick ups but we call them "utes") as a base for a Chevy El Camino. There have been some brutal utes displayed at our motor shows. Hope everyone likes the GTO better in the metal than in photos. We did.
    How do kW translate into hp?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    1 kw. = 1.3410 hp.
    Jim Wangers suppossedly picked up his GTO yesterday at a dealership in Michigan.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 375
    He is coming to speak at our Pontiac club end of year dinner in January. Im sure he will have lots of good info. WOO HOO!!!
  • bxd20bxd20 Posts: 68
    Besides the hood scoops, extra power, redone rear exhaust...

- 18" wheels (or 17" that looks like the show car, flatter and therefore taller in appearance)
    - Remote start, even Chevy's now have it
    - Heated seats
    - Make HID lights optional
    - Sunroof

Brian
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    Way to make it sound like a common thing. What other cars besides the new Malibu can you name that come with factory-equipped remote start? And how would you remote start a car with a manual tranny? Park it in neutral?

HID's would be cool, and I think any car could benefit by having heated seats as an option. Extra power? Do you mean just because more power is always cool, or do you really think that 30 more hp than a 911 isn't enough?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,457
    when a Goat that didn't have more power than a 911
    would have been considered pokey.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

This discussion has been closed.