Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• broglmicbroglmic Member Posts: 4
    Well , got the tranny flush finally done . Nothing found , also no codes and the car really haven`t done anything abnormal in 2 months . Did take it in to get the oil changed at a GM dealer and they told me some things were going bad . Got a second opinion and found out that two of the four thigs they said were bad really wasn`t . Doesn`t that make you feel good ........
  • jenndelappjenndelapp Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Impala (3.8 V6) with the same issue mentioned in this thread, hard shifts with a P1811 code stored. 112,000 hwy miles, always been babied. Mine acts up when the engine temp gets to one peg under half or above, but never goes above half. It acts up the most shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It is also intermittent...some days perfect, other days hard shifts.

I took it to the local trans place and they said that just changing the PCS tsb 0O-07-30-002B doesn't usually fix the problem. They recommend following the new 2008 TSB 08-07-30-002 for reconditioning all the valves. None of the known codes listed in this bulletin show up in my computer, I only have the P1811 code. So I am wondering if they are just trying to take me for the extra money.

I have recently had the transmission flushed and the filter replaced. We add Sea Foam to the new fluid and its shifting a lot better, only a minor harsh shift now and then. The reason we did this is another trans shop told us that if the codes mentioned in tsb 08-07-30-002 are being stored, your trans is already on the way out the door so you will be sticking $750 (to have the valves reconditioned) into something you are going to have to replace anyway in the near future.

The first trans place is telling me if I don't have the valves reconditioned and just the PCS done, that I am going to ruin my transmission even if it feels like it is shifting ok. Bill will be $750, which of course I don't have.

Can anyone shed any light on whether they have done just the PCS and not had to have the valves reconditioned? Did you continue to have problems?

Also any thoughts on whether the first trans shop is feeding me a line or if there is some truth behind it? Since it is doing it between the same two gears and not through out the whole shift pattern, should I be looking at replacing the clutch assemblies and not the PCS or value reconditioning?

Thanks!!
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    as much as i hate to inform you the trans shop is correct about the valves. adding additives to this trans will do more harm than good the 4T65E transaxle is prone to this code. the definition is maximum shift adapts reached..what this means is the pcm in the car has reached its limit to be able to adapt the trans shifting pattern to keep it smooth......... please visit www.sonnax.com go to transmission stuff and search for your transmission in the locator....4T65E you will find that sonnax sells a replacement valve for your trans that corrects this problem. along with many other valves that help to restore oil circuit integrity within the transmission.....all of todays transmissions have major valvebody problems. please feel free to drop by my carspace page and read my blogs on oil circuit integrity concerning todays transmissions...it might shed some light on your situation
  • topper7topper7 Member Posts: 8
    Mileage 86,498

Other than the usual Impala problems that everone else had in the past, I do like my red Implala.
    I had experienced a transmission shift problem for the last couple months. I drive 45 miles one way to work all highway miles. I do drive easy on the accelerator. The problem is most noticable at the 45 MPH shift. The shift acts like it is having problems deciding what gear to go in. The RPM gauge will jump back and forth causing the car to lurch back and forth.

If I push the accelerator down a little bit, it will downshift, accelerate to a higher speed (50 MPH) and then shift just fine.

Sometimes this happens at the lower gear shift point around 30 MPH, but much more noticable at the higher gear change.

I checked the Trans fluid. Fluid looked clear and no burn smell.
    It progressively got worse, and not wanting a problem like this to cause a major problem in the winter, I made some calls to several transmission places and to a dealership.

After explaining the problem to each one, no one will give you any idea of what the problem is. Just bring it in, they say.

So I took it to a local ATRA transmission shop that was reported to me as a reputable place to go. They have been in business more that 25 years. I was told that this was a common problem with the Impala, but sometimes it is a simple fix.

I left it with them to look at. Received a call about 2 hours later stating that it was more serious than they thought and would need $340.00 to tear it down to make a more thorough check on the transmission.
    I asked what my worse case scenerio would be. They said they would not try to guess at this point. I approved the tear down.

Received a call a couple hours later and was told that the transmission needed to be rebuilt. Said the cost would be $2475.23 with tax.
    The breakdown is rebuild transmiision = 1073.63, converter = 241.88, filter = 9.14, ATF = 24.50. Labor = 910.00, flush cooler = 65.00, tax = 151.07.

I asked if it would be cheaper to put in a brand new transmission. Was told that I would have the same problem again, because it would be the same transmission that I originally had. Said the rebuild will have better parts put inside than what the new one comes with. The rebuild comes with a one year warranty and is covered with any ATRA transmission place nationwide.

So, car is working fine, shifts well, the people at the shop were clean and polite. The shop was in good order. I do not know if this is a good price or not. Just wondering if anyone one knew.

I have read on this forum that several people have been having transmission problems also. I am 59 years old and never had a car with transmission problems until now. I do not abuse my cars and usually run them up to 200,000 miles plus before buying another.

This is frustrating and irratates me. I was driving a Chrysler LHS with 195,000 miles on it before I started to drive my wife's Impala. We were looking for another car for my wife, a Chevrolet car, Impala, Malibu or other to trade the LHS off or sale it outright as I usually do.

So what did we end up buying? A Honda for the wife and I am hoping I can drive the Impala another 100,000 miles. Then I have to drive the Honda. Come on GM! Whaaaa!
  • kward1718kward1718 Member Posts: 6
    I've seen a lot of questions on here about the same problem but no one posted what they did to get it fixed... Can someone send a reply of how they fixed the problem and how the car is running now?
  • pkreed98pkreed98 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 03 impala w/ 115k on it. It shakes when shifting gears, and hesitates. We took it to shop, came back with same two codes as yours. He cleaned the Mass air flow sensor and changed trans. fluid and filter. I drove it to work 45 miles each way, ran fine. Now today, has the same problems and the check engine light is back on. Will keep you posted on what we find out. Would appreciate any information you have to offer.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    P0742 is a TCC comanded off code (torque converter clutch) this code is a secondary code to the 1811 code which is max shift adapts reached code. this/vehicle has what is called ADAPTIVE learn memory, which means it learns the drivers habits..the reason the trans is shifting hard is because the computer can no longer adapt the shift strategy to keep the trans shifting smoothly, so the pcm locks line pressure at maximum and sets code 1811 and turns on check engine light. once code 1811 is set the pcm also disables lock up in the transmission hence the 742 code. the 4T65E transaxle is very prone to this problem unfortunately it means the trans has to come out to be repaired. there will not be a major amount of damage but the valve body will need some updates or the code will return.a new pressure control solenoid and input speed sensor are also a must with this trans since in order to replace these 2 items the trans has to be removed also line pressure boost valve needs to be replaced to get oil circuit integrity back in control. if you need further info please visit www.sonnax.com and look under transmission specialties add in your year make and model of car and transmission id = 4T65E this will bring you to the page of corrections for your cars trans. and you will be able to see what needs to be done in order to get your vehicle running correctly again. Im sorry to say this means an overhaul but at least you will go in with your eyes wide open. this is an expensive transmission to repair

cheers Gene
  • levellevel Member Posts: 34
    My transmission on 2007 Impala LTZ was repaired at 35k miles. However, about 2x a month it still randomly and unexpectedly slips when taking off at the traffic light. It will continue to slip at the next 2 or 3 traffic lights and then it will clear up. The problem is that by the time I make it to the dealer it is no longer slipping. Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on?
  • jonashsjonashs Member Posts: 1
    I got one that will top you all. We have a 2002 Impala LS that we love; no problems, good mileage; excellent car. In July; whike car shopping, we ran across this Golden Anniversary Impala. Pretty cool car. Only 6000 made. Only comes in two colors: Black ans Red Jewel Tint. Tried it out; liked it and made the deal. Around the 4th of July, Chevy had a deal with 0% financing for 60 months. You can't beat that. The car has the 3500 motor, compared to the 3800 our '02 has. Therefore should get better mileage. WRONG!!! "02 gets 26-27 in town and 32-33 on highway. '08 gets 23 in town and 26 at best on Freeway. That's driving only 68 mph. That should have been my first clue. At 800 miles, the tranny starts this up-down clunking transmission trick. Called the dealer. They came and picked it up at my work. Oh yeah; the AC was cool at it's lowest setting. Out of its first 22 days we owned it, it was in the shop 12 days. I told them that I wasn't picking up that car when it was fixed. I wanted a different car. I filed a claim with Chevrolet; they give me some reference number. Basically after e-mailing the head of Customer Relations. and ED Pepper ( the North American Vice-President); I loose. You cannot beat a large company, even when they turn out a pile of CRAP!!!. So I drive this car which by now I truly dislike; and guess what? I was at a locksmith class out of town, and all of a sudden, I pull into Arby's for a bite to eat, and I can't get the shifter anywhere above Neutral. I shut car off. Turn back on several times while trying to move shifter, and finally it moves. It pulls this trick on me several more times that day. Made an appointment at the Dealer; and they tell me that there are no computer codes designating anything wrong. Also they cannot duplicate either problem. Car now has 3055 miles on it, and I hate it. Chevrolet won't back or help me at all. Every time I get some e-mail or letter, the last question is always: How do you like your 50th Anniversary Impala? I always say that I am extremely disappointed in this car. They could give a crap less. This is the 6th new GM vehicle that we have bought since '77, and it will be our last one. I guess that I should have taken the 4 month wait and gotten the Car I wanted in the first place. The TOYOTA PRIUS. Foreign will be our next vehicle. Harry Jonas, Central Wisconsin.
    Something is going on with GM. I think they want to put out consistently good vehicles and the engineering is right, but due to their financial woes they cut back on costs where they can --- parts, 3rd party components, warranty work, etc. Plus I think one major problem is they can only focus on putting quality into a few models at a time, right now Malibu, Saturn Aura, Silverardo. I feel you, my wife and other family members have started switching to foreign models after buying GM for years.
    See my post #120.
    See my post #120.
    I have a 2007 Impala and have been experiencing the same transmission problems as most of you. My car about three times a month slips when taking off at light, sometimes catching me by surprise ---strong jerk, once pulling car into next lane.

Who is up to joining me in class action against the 3rd party transmission supplier & perhaps GM?

I buy American products but with this performance I'm not sure how long I can hold out given the economy and the need to get good "lasting" value for hard earned money. Now is the time to demand better of our American companies before the remaining consumers bolt for foreign vehicles!
  • toyoman1toyoman1 Member Posts: 52
    I bought this impala three days ago from the County I live in. Its a retired police cruiser. The transmission was rebuilt in warranty by Chevrolet at 54k. I bought it with 104k for 2000 dollars and it seems to run fine, with no check engine lights or anything. I drove it up to work today on the interstate and it seemed to sound like it was running at a high RPM at around 80-90mph. When I let my foot off the gas it didnt slow down super fast like I would think it would do in third gear... but still it sounds like the engine is working harder than most other cars would. Any suggestions.... and would the check engine light come on in this car if there were a tranny/overdrive problem??? Also, I did shift it from D down to three a few times, but only once I got to the city, and I never could tell a difference or a changing of gears, unlessI let off the gas completely. Then there was some definite tranny movement. I am getting around 17-18mpg and I am told for an Impala this isnt that great. Is mileage worse maybe on a POLICE Impala? I drove home later that morning and it did the same thing on the interstate, however when I got back into town and shifted it from D down to 3 there was a definite downshift or transmission movement of some sort again, although slight at around 50MPH. I took it to Nash Chevrolet and they checked for codes and said all was well code wise... why would it do this on the interstate but not in-city? Is it a police package thing for more power? I think the crappy mileage may be to all the extra 9C1 gears weight (seperate coolers for EVERYTHING). Tell me what you guys think!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you might have a lower rear end ratio in that package, for more power, thus higher rpm, worse gas mileage.

Also at 90 mph you aren't going to get good gas mileage anyway, so forget that.
  • toyoman1toyoman1 Member Posts: 52
    I was told by Chevy Dealer that the Police Impala had the same gearing in the Transmission that the Pontiac Grand Prix gets, which is Higher than the standard Impala. Don't know if this helps but the gearing ratios out to
    First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Reverse:

Final drive ratio:
    3.29:1

Overall drive ratio:
    3.29:1

Still... 17MPG... that sucks, I am pretty convinced I bought a car w/ no Overdrive.
  • bdear115bdear115 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used 2001 Chevy Impala & its a nice car for the price.

The only issue is that when it's good and warmed up, the automatic transmission makes a low whining sound when its in 4th gear. If I downshift manually to 3rd the whine goes away. If I shift back to D, it starts whining again as soon as it upshifts into 4th.

It does not slip or seem to misbehave in any way, but I'm afraid to take it on long trips for fear that it's going to go out on me, and I'll be stuck with a 3 speed.

Any ideas? Or should I just drive it until something happens?

Thanks, B Dear
  • mrcorey985mrcorey985 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 04 impala and both ours cars have the same problem,sometimes it jerks a little and sometime it wont sometimes it slip just a little and then it'll be awhile before it happens again,i took it to a trans shop they told me i have an internal trans problem it they would charge me 400.00 to tear it down to see what the problem was i was like no way,that wasnt including the labor and repair.i'm all for a recall my car gets routine oil change and tune up.i'm in on a class action.now i feel better it wasn't just my impala..i like my car dont get me wrong and really dont wanna let it go,but gm is starting to make me wonder.
  • JZT317JZT317 Member Posts: 3
    I'll put it to you like this, I bought a used 2001 Impala that had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it. I replaced the catalytic converter at 45,000, the transmission at 60,000, the power steering at 75,000, upper and lower intake gaskets, at 85,000, another catalytic converter 95,000 and I now have 105,000 miles on it and the HVAC blower is out and for the past few months my windshield wipers decided they would stand straight up when not being used instead of laying down flat. I have to replace the brakes every year, I've replaced the thermostat, and the majority of the rest of the cooling system components. I have put almost as much into it as I have paid for it, and why have I never traded it in? Because there's always something wrong with it and I almost have it paid off now and would rather not take on another payment/problem. So enjoy your car while it runs well, because I would bet it won't be for long.
  • brycez28brycez28 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Impala LS with 96,000 miles on it. Recently I have started to have some problems with my transmission. From a stop, when I give it gas, it's like the transmission won't engage and start moving the car until the engine is running around 2000 RPM. I checked the fluid level and it was a little low (but not to the add mark). I filled it up, but I'm still having the same problem. It only does this in Drive and 3rd. When I have it in 1st or 2nd, it doesn't have any problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • whoodini1whoodini1 Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 impala 3.4 v6 automatic also has transmission problem . transmission was service by gm dealer @ 55000 kilometers/33000 miles (new filter and fluid)
    now @ 75000 kilometers/45000 miles transmission periodically is slow shifting into reverse then engages hard and there seems to be a shift flutter from first to second you mention class action i would like more details before i have transmission inspected/diagnosed/repaired. please reply
  • kenney55kenney55 Member Posts: 1
    i think that this is crap! i have an 06 impala and i only have 36000 miles on it and the second i hit 36800 when my warranty was out, my transmission is now failing. i have always had chevys i have never drove anything but a chevy, and they wont do anything
  • paimpalasspaimpalass Member Posts: 1
    I feel your pain. I have the same problem with my 2006 Impala SS. My first trans went out at 42,000 miles ($4,700) and now at 74,000(80% highway) I am in the same boat. The good news is for me is the second trans I paid for is under warranty. I call GM/Chevy CS line and the first time and they told me they could not help. I will tell you get it fixed and get rid of it. That is what I am going to do. I spoke with a Service manager and he told me they have a lot of problem with the trans in the 2006+ Impala SS. They trans can not handle the power. Don't get me wrong I love the car when it is running, but I am done. I will not buy a GM product due to the way they handle the issue. :mad:
  • PantherWreckPantherWreck Member Posts: 2
    2007 LTZ -

Purchase dealership replaced the original tranny at 12K miles due to first gear slip.

Same initial slip problem became bad again at 49K. Took it to a different local dealership this time around and gm decided to replace the whole tranny again. (warranty is 100K on drive train in 07). Two days later same slipping from a stop. I took the car back and tech drove and recreated the problem. He said that the prior tranny was replaced due to a stripped 4th gear (not even the reason that I took the thing in).

One week later, gm is sending the now 4th tranny to be installed into this car. They tore down the new one (#3) and cannot find what part of the new one is failing. (I don't think it is the transmission, it seems like it must be something else - computer etc., but I am just guessing) Local dealer was supposedly working with gm's technical support to get this resolved. Will see what happens when #4 is installed.

Only other issue is ISS. I paid out of pocket to replace that when tranny #3 went in at 49K. ~$250 dealer did the work.

pw
  • mnielsenmnielsen Member Posts: 1
    I changed my transmission fluid in my 2003 Chevy Impala with only 53,000 and now after 1 week, I am experiencing a hard shift into second and vibrations at around 35 miles an hour. Can someone give me some advice....It was running great. I kick myself for changing the fluid. I went to a Valvoline instant oil change center. They told me it was because the fluid may be low. They added another pint after inspection and it still does the same thing.

Please help!!!
  • apollomoonapollomoon Member Posts: 1
    i have an 01 impala 3.4. bought it with 63,000 and now has 181,000. trans. worked fine till i had the it power flused at about 145,000. soon after started intermitant whining and hard shifting. it has done it now for almost 40,000 miles and is seemingly impossible for gm or anyone to diagnose the problem. it also started throwing up a 742 code indicating converter in failure. after 3 converters i let the last one run for nearly 20,000 miles with no drivablilty issues so there is obviously nothing wrong with the converter but in nystate i can't get the thing inspected w the lite on so arghhh. other that that i have had no issues w the car its my second in the family as well
  • dave1175dave1175 Member Posts: 2
    I've been having a problem with my tranny for a while now. I bought it new in July 06 and about 8 months ago I noticed that when I would back out of my driveway and then shift into drive the tranny would,what I think is slip, and suddenly jerk into gear as I stepped on the gas pedal. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does do it. I took it to the dealer and they were no help at all. They gave me the old song and dance that they drove it and it worked fine and that there were no codes present. So basically nothing happened. The funny thing, not so much, was that later that day when I backed out of a parking spot it slipped again. I also have noticed that when stopped and starting to accelerate the Rpm's seem to get up around 1800 until it actually feels like the car starts to move. I want Chevy to man up and fix this problem. I don't abuse my cars at all and the thing that irritates me the most is that I haven't even turned to 23,000 miles yet and my warranty will be up in July. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!
  • bowtiebandit1bowtiebandit1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 impala 3.8 L 4 speed auto. I need a left front axle. when I went to buy one the dealer needed to know what gear ratio I have, there is 2 axles for this car. I thought the dealer should know but no luck. anyone with some helpful hints?
  • chev05chev05 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 05 chevy with about 78,000 miles . This problem has been happening with my car for 20,000 miles . Now its getting worse and Im just waiting for something major to happen and try to come up with the money . Car slips from a stop sign , but once it gets warmed up it doesn`t happen much but until that time it slips , kinda winds up and you can feel it kick it then it feels find . Anybody else out there ????
  • esco1esco1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble out of my :lemon: tranny as well. I do have 115k miles on my Chevy impala 3.9 V6 I am so disappointed with the car. I would love to go on fussing rage but I wont. This is my first American car and because I am US Marine I would'nt to support american cars even though I have always bought Honda. Well I am paying for it now. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AMERICAN CAR AGAIN. The probllems and the cost are to great to support them when they will not take care of their customers. I have yet to have a bill under $300 dollars for the car. I do care what happens to the workers but their upper management just cost me $1,871 to have my tranny rebuilt. Not including :lemon: a water pump, thermostat and my air vent that bangs over and over again when I turn on the air or heat. The air vent will cost me 500-600 dollars.
  • buickloverbuicklover Member Posts: 15
    The reason people have had transmission issues after these services is because there is one key component that is not replaced during this proceedure......the Filter! I had a 2000 Buick Century with the same transmission and I had it flushed and then about a month later I started having the hard shift and whining issues. I took it to a transmission shop locally and as I started explaining the issue, he started explaining it for me and then asked me if that was what was happening to me? He said that Jiffy Lube keeps him in business as they continually sell this service. The problem as he explains it is, the backflush new fluid through the system and it cleans all components internally and than clogs up the transmission filter, which then causes fluid starvation. He said that if you do go to Jiffy lube, drive the car for about a day and then have the filter and gasket replaced. He also stated that he never recommends replacing all of the fluid in the system as it's "shocking" it with new clean fluid (transmission fluid is a great cleaner!).
  • sk2b1sk2b1 Member Posts: 5
    05 3.4V6 with shifting problems into 2nd- especially when cold. Much better after completely warmed up. AAMCO said plan on $2500. 2nd shop told me I had no 2nd gear, that it shifts from 1st into 3rd. Transmission will shift into 2nd when shift selector is on "2" and goes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd when on "3" and is fine on the highway. Cant afford any rebuild. Am wondering of fluid change will help or if 2nd gear is really "gone"....?
  • tra9105tra9105 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 Impala LS with 55000 miles.........and when I back out of my driveway in the mornings and shift out of reverse into drive and press on the gas, it doesnt move and hesitates for a couple seconds then jerks when it catches 1st gear. After the car is warm, it wont do it anymore. Does anyone know the cause of this problem or what needs to be replaced?
  • sk2b1sk2b1 Member Posts: 5
    I have had the "slip" happen twice, but not after. I have an basic 05 3.4. Am now having issues shifting into 2nd. The last shop I went to said I had no 2nd gear, but the car will down shift into 2nd and does shift up kind of hard after warmed up. Am learning more about this tranny every day. Am going to change fluid this week and then repeat with filter change the following day. Will let you know after..... I think the new fluid/filter will help clean things out a bit and hopefully my issues will go away. Both shops I went to asked for 2K to "fix" it.
    After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

I am suggesting we all do the same. If the new GM is going to emerge from bankruptcy on top, they must learn to address these problems and not ask us to accept them.
    After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

I am suggesting we all do the same. If the new GM is going to emerge from bankruptcy on top, they must learn to address these problems and not ask us to accept them.
    I'm having the exact same problem! My car is actually at the dealership now and they said something about the 4th clutch. I'm hoping this is not the same issue I had with my older 2000 Century. This is definately a problem with the transmission and I will let you know if they figure out what it is and actually fix it. Of course, I'm sure it will only fix it long enough for the warranty to expire!
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    I believe that you can buy a new or re conditioned tranny for $2500 or less or purchase a tranny from a written off car, just a couple of hours with a good GM mechanic after hours and you have a better tranny .
  • ddennddenn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Impala LS with 3.8 and so does my Father, neither one of us have had any issues at all, My Wife uses the Impala as a daily driver it has 140K plus on it now, she is getting 28mpg average and the only thing I have had to replace has been the brakes she likes to drive it hard. no oil leaks, no coolant leaks, my Fathers is babied the only issue he has is the headlights are starting to yellow. he did add Brembo rotors he was not happy with the soft braking of the factory rotors.

I too have read all the complaints and wonder what people are talking about. I guess yourself my father and I are lucky. :D

After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my 2007 Impala transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my 2007 Impala transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

• planner007planner007 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I am also experiencing the same problem. I've taken my car into the Dealer a few times. I explained the car jerks and skips on take off. Very random. Does not matter if I drive 2 miles or 200 miles. It's happened in the Summer and the Winter. The Service Manager could never find a problem. Unfortunately for me, the car never does the skipping during the time its at the Dealer.

WHAT CAN I DO? PLEASE HELP
    There is a service bulletin for this. It has to do with the 4th clutch. I will find out what the service bulletin number is and reply back in the next day or so. However, even after they did the work, the problem still exist, except, it doesn't occur as often. I think before it was directly related to the temp of the engine. It seem to happen more after the car had been sitting for a while.
    Bulletin No.: 06-07-30-018

Date: August 17, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    4T65-E Launch Shudder on Acceleration, Lack of Power After 1-2 Upshift (Inspect and Replace 4th Clutch Piston and Friction Plates)

Models:
    2006 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse, Lucerne, Rendezvous, Terraza
    2006 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu SS, Malibu Maxx SS, Monte Carlo, Uplander
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, Montana SV6, G6 GTP
    2006 Saturn Relay

with 4T65-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs MN7, M15, M76)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low speed shudder upon acceleration, usually in the 0-32 km/h (0-20 mph) range. The customer may also comment on lack of power after a 1-2 gear upshift.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be due to a binding 4th clutch piston.

Correction
    Inspect the 4th clutch piston, the seals and fiber plates. The plates may show signs of excessive heat in the center of the plate. The fiber plates may also show signs of heat in the adjacent area. Normal plates are heat treated and have a slightly dark appearance.

Replace the 4th clutch piston, seals and fiber plates as necessary. Refer to the Transmission/Transaxle section of SI.
    Thanks, sounds very useful.
  • sulacetsulacet Member Posts: 1
    When my car starts, it will shift into all the gears just fine. The problem comes when its supposed to shift from first to second. It revs extremely high, and doesn't grab second gear, and drops into neutral. When I pulled the codes at Autozone, it said Torque Converter. I was just needing to make sure that this is the part I actually need, and its not something else before I buy it. I also replaced the filter, and had no teeth or metal in the pan.