Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• chuckee98chuckee98 Member Posts: 39
    Sorry to hear about your foglights. I tried that same upgrade to 50 watt bulbs, but yanked them out when the insides started to blister. I ended up going with the 38 watt Sylvanias. The minor damage was done already, though. I don't think there has been any more damage with the 38 watts. I intend to swap out the foglights in the future with a set of PIAA's or CATZ, as I think the stock OEMs are dismal in their function (light dispersion / beam pattern), even with the 38 watt bulbs.

PIAA does not make upgrade bulbs for the type that fits into the OEM housing. Your only options would be to buy a new aftermarket foglight, replace with new OEMs (go to GMPARTSDIRECT.COM), or EBAY for a used set.

Oh, and don't feel bad - after I blistered mine, I found out on another forum that other guys have melted theirs like you did.
  • munchomuncho Member Posts: 14
    I have been trying to decide whether to buy a Yukon XL or a Denali XL. The Denali XL interested me due to more horsepower mostly. However, my father in law, who is a mechanical engineer, told me that the AWD system requires fluid transfers which bleed a lot of power and he thought that the Denali with the 6.0 would be more sluggish than the Yukon XL with the 5.3. That caught my attention because why pay extra for the 6.0 in the Denali if your not getting the extra horsepower of the 6.0 to the tires. It looks like my father in law was right: the 0-60 on the Yukon XL is 8.7 seconds and the Denali XL is 9.2 seconds. This is consistent with my test drive of both vehicles. The YXL had better acceleration than the DXL. I got the Denali XL figures from http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2000/November/200011_preview_gmc_yukon.xml

The Yukon XL figures are from the specifications in the Yukon XL 1500 section of Edmunds.com.

• lambdaprolambdapro Member Posts: 51
    What is the best way to put yakima racks on a 2001 Suburban with no current roof rack? It looks like I will put four of those adapters that let you use the rain gutter towers on the roof. I worry about leaks and rusting and would like advice.
  • grogman1grogman1 Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2001 1500 YXL with about 2500 miles on it. For those lurking, me and the family love the SUV. Plenty of space, power, ......you name it. The Autoride is a worthwhile option. We briefly considered the Sequoia & Expedition and are very happy with our choice.

I read in the manual that the computer will sense the driving pattern and manner that the vehicle is being driven and indicate when it is time to change the oil. My question is: is this also true for the 1st oil change, or is there "break-in" oil that needs to be changed at a different time interval ? I didn't read anything in the manual, but would hate to rely solely on the computer to tell me, when I should have done something else.

Thanks.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    i would suggest changing at 3K miles whether computer tells you to or not.

Especially for the first one. There may be tiny metal shavings lurking around.

My last oil change was done with only 2600 miles. I did it because the light came on. Seemed early but i dont wanna take a chance. So far i have 13500 miles on my silverado. Light has only come on once.

first oil change was done at 2750 miles
    second at 5998 miles
    third at 9100 miles
    fourth at 11700 miles

At the third oil change i switched to mobil 1.

Ryan
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    In order to properly compare acceleration numbers, the vehicles should be run on the same course by the same driver. I have seen many cases where acceleration numbers vary based on the test.

The feel of acceleration is definitely better with the Denali XL than it was with the Yukon XL with the 3.73 axle. The feel of the Yukon XL with the 4.10 axle was very close to the Denali XL, but I thought the Denali XL acceleration was slightly better. The full time all wheel drive definitely helped make the Denali feel more sure footed.

I would not buy a DXL over a standard YXL with a 4.10 axle because of acceleration differences. I would buy one if I desired the following equipment (price difference $4000-$4500):

A. 6.0 Engine All Wheel drive $1500
    B. Bose Stereo $500
    C. In dash CD Chgr $500
    D. 17” Wheels $400
    E. Mich Cross Terrain Tires $300
    F. Interior enhancements $500
    E. Exterior trim enhancements $250

Total $3950

Notes:
    A. Includes 6.0 engine, heavy duty transmission, transmission temperature gauge, engine oil cooler, all wheel drive, heavy duty radiator

F. Includes upgraded leather trim and console, heated rear seats, wood grain trim, trip computer
  • yukonxlxpert1yukonxlxpert1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,been a long time since I posted last. My 2000 Yukon XL slt just hit 25,000 miles.This truck is awesome!I have added the BUSHWACKER OE style flares, they look real nice, but are a drop off from the color of my factory running boards. I swapped out my deathstones at 5K, my Michelins are riding fine.The only problem I had was a transmission leak at 13K,took the dealer 7 days, first he thought it was a gasket , so he ordered 2 of them, after it was still leaking, he put in the second one, and it still leaked ! he had to wait for another gasket 4 days, only to realize it was the pump itself and not the gasket.I also had 2 window motors/regulators changed (hasn't everyone?).
    Although I love this truck, I always told myself not to get a first year production of a new model, and with all the ultra sensitive parts and electronics in this truck ,I am definetly getting an extended warranty , just to be on the safe side.
    Does anyone know the procedure to remove the driver side door panel?
    Thanks
  • ssmilesssmiles Member Posts: 35
    Checked the Burlington Northern - Santa Fe website (www.bnsf.com) today to track location of my 2001 Z71 by entering VIN. It's heading west, in Sweetwater Texas this evening. Due in San Bernardino, California on April 24. Order date was March 1st. Looks like I will be able to take delivery by the April 30 deadline for GMAC's 1.9% financing in Southern California on 2001 Burbs.
    The 0-60 acceleration figures showing the DXL is a half second slower than the YXL are both GM supplied figures. I think that is as fair a comparison as one is going to get.

The Denali does have the other things that you mentioned which are worth something, you are right, although the 17" wheels create a problem because the undercarriage space for the spare only accomodates a 16" wheel.
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    The reason the spare is a 16" wheel is that GM did not want to make a 17" steel wheel. The outer diameter of the wheel tire combo is identical to the 17" wheels on the vehicle.
    Oh, thats good. A local dealer told me the 17" wheels/tires won't fit in the spare space.
    It should fit

I had P265's on my silverado (31.7" tire)

i swtiched my spare to LT285's (32.8" tire)

The 285 fit fine still have plenty of room i also have the towing pkg on my truck

Ryan
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Member Posts: 39
    From what I can tell, Yakima does not have a fitment YET for a burb without the factory rack. When and if they do, they will clip up by the front and rear doors, and your load will be right over the doors. I don't know if a "short roof line" kit will be available. I had a 1995 Honda Passport without the factory roof rack which I used a Yakima rack with towers and clips by the doors to haul bikes around with. When I decided to purchase a RocketBox, I also decided to purchase the factory rack (as an accessory through Honda), and purchase the Railrider towers to use. My thinking was that I wanted the RocketBox further back, rather than overhanging the windshield.

This is what I would do in your situation: Purchase the factory roof rack through gmpartsdirect.com, and if you want to stay with Yakima, get the doublecross towers and bars. The look would be cleaner than with the gutter mount adapters, and less of a chance of rust. If you have your dealer install the factory roof rack, the bonus would be a warranty with it, so rust would not be a worry. You just won't get a discounted price like you would through gmpartsdirect.
  • eaganeagan Member Posts: 25
    na matter how good people claim suburbans to be 204k on ANY vehicle is a lot
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can do a "customized" appraisal by going to the main page (www.edmunds.com) and clicking on Used, Chevy, find your Suburban model and then click on the customized TMV appraisal. Without any options, I came up with $1,500 tops as a dealer used car (I wonder if a dealer would certify one this old with this many miles?).

This link goes direct to the appraisal tool.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    My son, grandson and I just spent several hours today at the GM auto motion
    show at Stone Mt Park in Georgia. The setup is similar to the EdmundsLive
    wherein one can drive all types of GM vehicles as well compare to the
    competition on the spot (Fords, Mercedes, BMW, etc). The favorite with all was
    the 3 new Corvette convertibles (Vets were not available at Edmunds).

When we were exiting the facility, we were given a rebate worth $500 toward
    the purchase of a new GM vehicle if purchased between 4/19/01 and 7/31/01.
    As luck would have it, I picked up the new suburban yesterday (4/19) and did
    not have the rebate form. I went to the dealer this evening (4/20)with the
    rebate. As my saleman had not turned in the paperwork to the office, he
    re-did the deal to give me the $500 in addition to the $1000 loyalty form for
    previous Tahoe or Suburban owners. These rebates were applied to the GM
    supplier price (GMS+4%) that I paid for the '01 2500 4WD LT Suburban. The
    beauty of this deal (in addition to the rebates) was that I did not pay the
    destination charge ($765) nor the regional advertisment price ($455), nor
    documentation fee (normally $85-$150). Before rebates, the price was $150
    over Edmunds invoice.

I had the base blackwall Firestone tires (LT245-70Rx16) replaced with OWL
    Michelins (P265-70Rx16) LTX M/S and the stupid narrow GM running boards
    replaced with the lighted Cord running boards (the same type as on the Ford
    Expedition)

Love the Autoride.
  • fssrlkfssrlk Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my Yukon XL on 4/13/01 in Southern California and Dealer did not know what I was talking about when I asked for my $1000.00 rebate. Who should I talk to about getting this rebate?
  • btenbten Member Posts: 28
    How did you enter the VIN. Did you use the "bn" before the last 6 digits of the VIN? I hope to track mine when I get the VIN. Is yours coming from Mexico?

Thanks
  • rainbud_66rainbud_66 Member Posts: 4
    Can 2001 Surburban's still be ordered or is GM
    retooling for 2002?

thanks
    Go to the website: bnsf.com

[1] click on the "tracing tools" link
    [2] click on "custom tracing"
    [3] on the tracing sreen, enter the last 8 digits of your vin (no "bn" needed) in the equipment box and make sure you check the vin box below

if your burb is not on a train at the time, you wont get the info.

As of yesterday, my Z71 was in Clovis, NM. Today, I am unable to locate it when I enter info. Maybe it's being switched from one train to another?
    Dropped by Macpherson Chevrolet in Irvine, CA to check out their first 2001 Suburban Z71 that arrived a few days ago. It was a white one. They placed it on the lot Friday afternoon. It sold Saturday morning for the full sticker price..$42K+
  • fabfixinfabfixin Member Posts: 2
    As of last week, could not order 8.1 Suburban. Not sure if they are done for 2001 or just done
    with the 8.1 engines. Had to find one at a dealer. As of Thursday, they did not have pricing on 2002 yet either. Good luck!
  • tahoestarrtahoestarr Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are considering buying a used (1999) GMC Suburban. Our question is, what type of millage do these vehicles get... what is too many miles?

Thanks,
    Wayne and Leah
    TahoeStarr@aol.com
    Is there any information out there on whether or not the 2002 Suburban will have a Duramax Diesel option?
  • grogman1grogman1 Member Posts: 76
    I was hoping that I could get some group feedback for a cabin sound that's developed on my 2001 1500 YXL with auto climate control(in lieu of the other option - "schedule a time and we'll have a looksy") I just logged 3K total miles and have just started hearing a popping sound that sounds like its coming from the left front air duct(driver side closest to the door). It can only be heard at faster speeds(50-75) and does not seem to stop when I open or close the air duct or turn the AC on and off.

Sorry about the limited info -Any help is appreciated
  • drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    Muncho, I was wondering where you got the numbers for the Yukon XL? You stated the following:

"I got the Denali XL figures from http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2000/November/200011_preview_gmc_yukon.xml"

This article states:

"They also seem to be more respectable in the 0-to-60 department -- 8.7 seconds for the Denali, 9.2 for its bigger brother, according to GMC."

So where is the data for the "regular" Yukon XL? Funny how the eyes can play tricks on us when we want to see something else. I f anyone else has data comparing the 53.L XL to the 6.0L DXL, I am interested.

Dave

• drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    I am looking at all the different brake controllers out on the market, and I was looking for some experienced users of the Hayes Lemmerz Micro Control unit. It has been replaced by the Energize XPC, and they can both be used with a remote push button control.

I want a brake controller that can be mounted "way" out of the way, and then mount a small remote trigger somewhere convenient.

I would appreciate any opinions from someone who has shopped around, or users of the above mentioned unit.

Thanks, Dave
  • rainbud_66rainbud_66 Member Posts: 4
    Most dealers I have talked to indicated that the autoride would not help when towing a trailer under 3500 lbs. The comment I got was autoride would make the ride stiff and I should stick with the Premium Ride Suspension package.

comments?

thanks
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    Just ordered a front protection 3m film from clear mask 1-817-251-2177 for my 2001 yukon XL.
    The product covers the side mirrors and painted part of front bumper. $ 65 and my cost to have it installed locally will be about $ 50 but it comes with a video for the do-it-yourselfers. And no I do not work for the company. Ask for Jim.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Auto ride will make the ride SOFTER. I got it on my 3/4 ton Yukon XL. It makes a big difference between with and without. If you are considering a 1/2 ton model it will ride like a Denali XL. As far as helping with trailering, on the half ton it will level off the truck when you tow, so it helps out no matter what the weight you're towing. It is worth every penny for the option wouldn't get one without it, ever again. Ask Heatwave3 for his input, he has a Denali XL. Drive a couple before you make the choice. If one with autoride can't be found, look for a Denali XL. Keep in mind if you have to try it on a DXL the driving characteristics are different from a regular Burb, or YXL, because of the all wheel drive. Just use it as a suspension comparison. WARNING- You may fall in love with the DXL. I have heard many good things about the extra features.
  • mitch43mitch43 Member Posts: 10
    Just to add my two cents to this discussion, I just last week took delivery of my 01 Yukon, with auto ride, based on the advice of this board and particularly jgmilberg. The wife drives it to work every day. We were both a bit concerned about how the ride would feel (this is our first SUV), that it would be too much like a truck. With the auto ride, my wife loves the drive and says if rides and handles almost like a car (which, I know, not everybody thinks is a good thing). If your seeking a "car like" ride, I would recommend auto ride.
    Thanks for putting $750 on the words from me, but lets share the wealth a little bit with Heatwave3. He backed me up on all the post as far as Autoride goes. Glad you like it, and hope you can get more time behind the wheel to enjoy it. My wife is "scared" to drive my beast, so I don't have to worry about drive time.
  • msncowtnmsncowtn Member Posts: 18
    to rain bud 66...Autoride will greatly enhance hauling and pulling. Many dealer reps are unfamiliar with how this option works, and are too lazy to find out. See msg 510 for more info. Also, brochure makes reference to "loaded or empty", when describing the option. I would have paid twice the price for this option.

Mike/DFW
    Unfortunately, autoride and 9 passenger don't mix. I need to seat three occasionally with all the seats down. That precludes the autoride option for me. The autoride was the one feature available with the LT package that made me consider going up from a base package.
    HUH? It should make the ride more comfortable for all the passengers. Are you saying that you can't get a bench in front and get Autoride as an option on a base model? I didn't look into that because I got the full boat option pkg and all the extras on my Yukon XL. Only option I didn't get was the 8.1L engine.
    No autoride and LS. Have to have LT. LT does not have a bench. I did not think to check the Yukon XL. I just checked and you can get an SLE with bench seat and autoride. You're right. Advantage - GMC.
  • sreidvtsreidvt Member Posts: 2
    We're going to begin doing some family camping and are replacing our 1999 Suburban K1500 SLE with a van-conversion RV. There are pros and cons to this decision, of course, but we'll try it and see how it works out. It has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Rather than turn it in next week (end of lease, heavy excess mileage charges) I want to sell it privately but am having trouble deciding what a fair selling price would be. Kelly and NADA put it at $25,000 (with the mileage deduction for 87K miles) but I'm thinking $22,000 is closer to market value. It is in excellent condition, no scratches, proper maintenance, very good tires, etc. but I don't know what the market is like for these right now. Any advice is welcome on list or to me privately at sreid@sover.net Anyone know of a shop in New England that specializes in selling used Suburbans? I know there are a few out west but around here (southern Vermont) I haven't heard of any.
  • gentilozzigentilozzi Member Posts: 2
    Does any know if the 2002 yukon xl's will have a new look. thanks
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    Want a front bug screen that covers the complete front end for my Yukon XL( not a bra ) that goes on and off easily. I saw one on a internet site a couple of months ago and now 4 hours of searching I can't find it. It attached with velco under the hood. Not ment to stay on at all times. your help is appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you run across these links or messages already? Good luck.

Fia
    CoolWheels
    Dodge Accessories (I know, Dodge, but...)
    link seems to be dead, but an address

usual disclaimers :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • skipjack2skipjack2 Member Posts: 29
    I just replaced my 245/75/16 Gravestones with Michelin 265 75 16's LTX M/I and my speedometer is reading about 3 MPH fast at 70 MPH. I had this done a a dealership in Charleston, and was assured that they would adjust the computer to compensate for the larger size. I thought I detected some uncertainty about the adjustment, but they said they adjusted it. I checked my speed coming back to Florida on the I/I 95 and at a speedometer reading of 66 I was doing about 69 MPH. It may be that I need more adjustment, which I understand I might be able to do. Has anyone tried this. Where is the adjustment located and /or do you need special equipment to do this? I have the 3/4 LT model, 6.0 engine with Autoride and 410 rear, 4 wheel drive. I really like the Autoride feature and I feel I do get a better ride. I got about 12 MPG at an adverage of 67 MPH on I/I 95 (GPS)pulling a 3200 LBS boat. I had been getting 8.4 pulling an 8000 LBS boat, 14.5 +/- hi way and dismal around town. I hope the tire size up grade will help. (4300 miles on it now.) BTW the Michelins were a vast improvement over the Firestone tires. Both 10 ply. I would like to get the speedometer on with GPS. Any input appreciated.
    Had mine adjusted at the plant I work at, and the dealer should have the same tool. It is called a Tech 2. You just plug it in and follow the directions to get to the tire size adjustments, pick the new tire size and save the change. It worked on mine, paced a car with a digital speedo and everything was right on. I am not sure about it but HyperTech's power programmer is supposed to be able to do it also. Costs around $300 and can do other things too, like get rid of the speed limiter, and change your performance curve. May be worth it, but have read some posts saying something about needing some kind of GM code to change the settings. My '01 3/4 ton Yukon XL is set up the same as yours, and had no problems. The Tech 2 IS a GM designed and programmed computer diagnostic tool and this would explain why the others have posted about needing a code with the power programmer from Hypertech. If you go back to the dealer with your paper work saying that they adjusted for the tire size change, and your speedo is still off, they should fix it. It only takes 15 minutes to do, if the guy knows what he is doing, and can do it in the service write-up area. You must find out if he dealer even has a Tech 2, if not it will have to go onto the big computer in the service bay and I am not sure if it can be done on there or if the service tech knows how. If possible watch them.
    My dealer called me today at 2pm, said my Burb was rolling off the truck into the lot. Will be picking it up tomorrow. Ordered it March 1st. That was a long 8 weeks and 3 days, hopefully worth the wait.
    You do not need a "gm" code. It only works for 1 vehicle however. You plug it in the diagnotic plug and it downloads the trucks info (vin model)

Then you go from their answer a bunch of yes/no questions then program takes 15 min

Did this to compensate for larger tires (285's on my silverado)
  • dicksiedicksie Member Posts: 4
    Tell me more about your 99 suburban that you are going to sell. My daughter is looking for one. What color, 4x4? and options. please e-mail me. dicksie@earthlink.net
  • jffitzjffitz Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a used 2000 Yukon XL w/ low mileage and great condition, but it has second row bucket seats, which we did not really want. Anyt thoughts on the positives/negatives of this? What about swapping in a bench: is it possible and how much?
    Took delivery of my 2001 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 this afternoon. It was worth the 8+ week wait. It came equipped exactly as I ordered. I was already aware that the roof rack would not sport the rear facing auxilary lights as Chevrolet originally advertised. After a thorough walk through to check for problems before leaving the dealer, my wife found that the seat belt in the middle seat of our second row bench was installed backwards. The dealer corrected this within 15 minutes and we were are on our way home. It was built in Silao, Mexico and came with 17" Goodyear's.
    The only things I can come up with for 2nd row buckets are as follows:

Positive-
    Easier access to the 3rd row for kids.

Negative-
    Open space between the seats when folded down, a big thing if you want to haul long stuff, like 2 X 4's
    Loss of passenger carrying capacity.
  • don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    Helminc.com now lists the 2001 Shop Manual as available.
    Price = $120.00 + $6.50 to ship.
    Land Line = (800) 782-4356
    Fax = (313) 865-5927
    This is Irv. covering for Brother Don 4341.
    Good health to all.
  • moss6moss6 Member Posts: 12
    Hypertech programmer is the only way you will be able to reprogram for a tire size change; it is done by tire diameter and is accurate to 1/4" increments. The tech 2 tool will register on the link hook up but will not actually adjust any parameter on the actual trans. or speedo profile.