Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@oldfarmer50 said:Hey, I looked up his profile and he has 8 abuse flags. You win by 7.

Abacomike said:

The abuse feature is a farce and you yourself could acquire 8 flags in no time if someone decide to start flagging you while they figure you will assume it might have been me. That, and the hits I have taken here is how I got 8.

I can't believe the level of naivety here. Glad you're (all) not presiding over a court room.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2014
    @brian125 said:

"I understand what your saying.. but for God sakes.... Do we really need dealerships with marble floors and structures looking like the.................. Taj -mahal"

I don't have a good answer for you about what "we" as customers need. But the dealership and it's principals have a right to build their dealerships the way they want.

But Brian, did you know that the manufacturer dictates to the dealer what the showroom and service area is to look like and how it is to be built? The manufacturer must approve all dealership buildings and in most cases, the materials used.

That's something I never knew before getting into the business.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

Mike ,

The writing is on the wall for the auto industry.. Changes are comming down the pike very soon.. Prices are going to reach the point where folks cant buy new anymore . Used cars today are a hot commodity.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    edited April 2014

@crkyolfrt said:
    sent to: oldfarmer50, abacomike

Yikes! How did I get dragged into this? I don't recall ever addressing you directly and you post that novel of a diatribe?

Seems you DO thrive on drama. If you feel the need to vent, feel free, I use to be a social worker.

Me, I'd rather talk cars.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@brian125 said:
    Here's a surprising statistic: The average price of a new vehicle in the U.S. is $32,086.

A rule of thumb that says too many people are spending too much on their cars. If you apply
    Interest.com's rule "20/4/10" to determine how much a household can afford to spend on a new vehicle.

That rule works like this: A down payment of at least 20%, financing lasting no more than four years, and total cost -- principal, interest, and insurance -- adding up to no more than 10% of a household's gross income.

OK at $32,086 20% down leaves you with a loan amount of $25,668.80 with a 48 month loan at 4% you have a monthly payment of 579.58 or $6,954.96 for the year. which means for that to work the household income has to be in excess of $70K (the calculated payment did not include sales taxes and yearly total did not include insurance). The average household income in the U.S. is just over $51K.

Work that backwards your payments and insurance for the year should be $5,100. Insurance varies greatly depending on drivers age, sex, driving record and location but lets say $1,500 that makes the total payments for the year at $3,600 or $300/month. $300/month at 4% for 48 months (4 years) is a loan amount of about $13,300. A total cost of a car to get a $13,300 loan would be $16,625 (with a $3,325 down payment). Back out tax, title and license and using that formula the average household can only afford a $15K car, or half the price of the average car. Less if the interest on the loan is higher.

With cars lasting a lot longer and needing way less major work going with longer term loans really isn't an issue, especially if you plan on keeping the car after the loan is paid off. Extending a loan from 4 years to 5 years reduces the monthly payment by almost 20% but only increases the total paid over the life of the loan by less than 2%. This would make more cars more affordable to more people.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    edited April 2014

@snakeweasel said:all abacomike was doing was simply pointing it out.

He did a lot more than that. If you guys were NOT in sales, I can't help but think you wouldn't have ganged together to support each other with the wrath that you did.

If you didn't like or agree with my post, the proper thing for you and Mike and isell and anyone else who took offense to it, was to not reply to it. Mike chose to not just poke the hornets nest, he did it by putting the stick in and twisted and rattled it around in there. My assertive response should have come as no surprise to anyone, or are you all in the habit of bullying and shooting down those who dare darken the doors here because you know you will have each other to back you up whether you are in the wrong or not. Very classy.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @brian125 said:

"The writing is on the wall for the auto industry.. Changes are comming down the pike very soon.. Prices are going to reach the point where folks cant buy new anymore . Used cars today are a hot commodity."

I do not agree with your comment, Brian. The dealerships of the future will be owned and operated by huge corporations like Longo (CA), AutoNation (Ft. Lauderdale), etc. Without new car sales, Brian, where do the used cars come from? Are we headed to a situation like Cuba where the folks drive around in 1954 DeSotos or 1953 Plymouths?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@imidazol97 said:

Having worked in the food service industry I have to tell you that you have no idea what kind of contamination goes into your food. Just be glad that stomach acid destroys just about everything.

Dirty hands are the least of your worries.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Hey, I looked up his profile and he has 8 abuse flags. You win by 7.

Hey I just got my first abuse flag and by none other than crkyolCH4.

On the plus side the same post he flagged as abuse got at least one LOL B)

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said: Yikes! How did I get dragged into this?
    Me, I'd rather talk cars.

You made accusations of pot-stirring. Had you stayed out of it I would have had no issue feeling the need to defend myself against you.

Why do posters think they can just pop in, drop their snide comments to me and then expect me to roll over?
    I have kept my replies civil. Every single one of them. I'm afraid there are a number here who cannot say the same and they should have just stayed out of it.

I would like to point out a significant part of Kirstie's recent post about the abuse button:

"The good thing about the feature is that other people have to agree with your assessment about a post in order to have it brought to a moderator's attention."

What this means is that there was more than the claims against me in order for Mike to have rec'd emails from moderators. I DID NOT write them and complain. Tell Mike for me, because in an efffort to not stir the pot directly with him again, I thought better to post this info here. Besides, he has his mind made up and would not believe me anyway.

I'm more than ready to drop all this when you all do the same.

• Options
    edited April 2014

snakeweasel

One of your better posts my friend.

Abcomike ; I was aware of the build and design requirements from the manufacturer.> @abacomike said:

brian125 said:

"The writing is on the wall for the auto industry.. Changes are comming down the pike very soon.. Prices are going to reach the point where folks cant buy new anymore . Used cars today are a hot commodity."

I do not agree with your comment, Brian. The dealerships of the future will be owned and operated by huge corporations like Longo (CA), AutoNation (Ft. Lauderdale), etc. Without new car sales, Brian, where do the used cars come from? Are we headed to a situation like Cuba where the folks drive around in 1954 DeSotos or 1953 Plymouths?

Seems to me the new car dealerships will be like a Costco Chain headed by Big corps. knocking out all the Mom and Pop dealerships.... Only the biggest richest and strongest will survive.

Who knows i could be wrong.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

can everyone just drop the drama and grandstanding, and go back to our pleasant, important, vital discussions? Toasters maybe? Dental floss?

Must be something left that we can ponder.

I will even take one for the team and do some car shopping tomorrow. I'll drop a "who wants to sell a car tonight" when I walk in, and see what I can get stirred up from that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

@crkyolfrt said:
    He did a lot more than that. If you guys were NOT in sales, I can't help but think you wouldn't have ganged together to support each other with the wrath that you did.

Could be that your problem is you are not thinking. Could it be that I am supporting people I have a long standing respect for from what I believe is unwarranted attack on them and their profession? (Notice I didn't say our profession).

If you didn't like or agree with my post, the proper thing for you and Mike and isell and anyone else who took offense to it, was to not reply to it. Mike chose to not just poke the hornets nest, he did it by putting the stick in and twisted and rattled it around in there. My assertive response should have come as no surprise to anyone, or are you all in the habit of bullying and shooting down those who dare darken the doors here because you know you will have each other to back you up whether you are in the wrong or not. Very classy.

I think you should look back at some old messages on this forum as I have taken people here to task over things that they have posted when I thought that they were in the wrong. The very same people you are claiming that I am ganging together with. I have challenged what they have said just as I am challenging you. And if I thought for a moment that someone was ganging up on you for no good reason I would support you.

You have some issues, what it is I don't know and I am not going to try to guess, but it is manifesting itself at anger here towards the auto sales profession. You had a bad experience? Got ripped off (or thought you did)? Or something else? I really don't care but if the person (people?) that did it are not here I suggest you try to be friendlier then people might start treating you better.

One more thing, for someone who wants to let it pass you sure are posting a lot of words about it.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506

@brian125 said:

understand what your saying.. but for God sakes.... Do we really need dealerships with marble floors and structures looking like the.................. Taj -mahal

I'm stunned. I actually agree with what you posted. Go figure.

The European model, in which people visit modest dealerships to examine and possibly drive representative vehicles, then order exactly what they want, may come to pass here, with an internet twist that allows very quick delivery of the ordered vehicle.

I'm not holding my breath, but Tesla and others may help pave the way.

Taj Mahals, indeed. Where's the value added?

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

I think the US market is just too broad for a European order model. But, I do agree that some of these dealers have gotten crazy big and fancy. So fewer, smaller dealers, with some sort of central depot of ready to sell cars, might function. Special orders can still be done, or if you take one in stock, you save some money? There will have to be some stock on hand though for on the spot deliveries.

But, fewer dealers is only going to make prices go up, since there won't be as much cutthroat competition. More take it or leave it.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    can everyone just drop the drama and grandstanding, and go back to our pleasant, important, vital discussions? Toasters maybe? Dental floss?

Must be something left that we can ponder.

Well we can all talk taxes, we have 8 days left in tax season. All my appointments tonight cancelled on me. :'(

On the bright side I did have a couple of walk in's including one elderly lady (who just bought a new Mirage) who kept telling me that I did her taxes last year and all the good advice I told her to help her this year. Only problem was someone else did her taxes last year and that someone else was not only a different sex but also a different race. And she is driving.

• Options
    @snakeweasel said:

"Only problem was someone else did her taxes last year and that someone else was not only a different sex but also a different race. And she is driving."

Snake, I didn't think you lived down here in south Florida! We must do coffee and donuts together soon!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@abacomike said:
    snakeweasel said:

"Only problem was someone else did her taxes last year and that someone else was not only a different sex but also a different race. And she is driving."

Snake, I didn't think you lived down here in south Florida! We must do coffee and donuts together soon!

Well I will be Miami for a few hours twice this coming August as we are sailing out of Miami.

• Options

cdnpinhead.... I believe thats were there mistake is being made, You are starting your business with very high expectation and need to sell your product at a higher level to compete with the abbott's. Big corps. can do this in business... not the little guy anymore..

Abco mike, listen i will take your word with what your telling me about the auto business. You Know better than me.. My 2 cents may be way off on this.. I think America is in trouble.. I'm a old school street guy all my life that has done very well in business and life..... I speak from what I learned over time, observed and general lifes lessons teach..

good night.................. I have a 6am Tee off................. I'll stop by tomm.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

@crkyolfrt said:. Mike chose to not just poke the hornets nest, he did it by putting the stick in

Are you any relation to a fellow by the name of Andre?

Just make your statement and don't get defensive and fight back. When you reply back with offensive comments things just escalate. Take your own advice, if you don't like a comment, then ignore it and move on.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    SOME NOT-SO-GOOD NEWS

Dad's dementia is getting worse every month. The last few days I noticed his short-term memory is almost non-existent. It is so depressing to see this happening to someone I love and care for. He can't even help me with meals any longer and he losing his balance frequently.

I am at a loss as to what to do. We go out for dinner at least twice a week now to relieve me of cooking every night. But he is constantly asking questions to which I have answered numerous times but forgot what I said - sometimes 10 minutes ago.

I guess I need to take him to our doctor so he can get a referral to a good neurologist. He puts up a good front to others, but from day to day, he is definitely losing it.

I vowed that I would care for him so long as he can take care of his own hygiene needs, which he seems to take care of quite well, to date. But often I will get up at 3;00 AM and see the light on in his room with him struggling to read his statements and adding up his assets but because of his macular degeneration, he does not succeed. He must be so unhappy but he plugs along - I'm proud of him for that.

He got new hearing aids a month ago, but last week, his left hearing aid pops out all the time and falls to the ground when he chews his food. I had to laugh as he laughed with me - so we are going back to the audiologist Wednesday - they will have to make him a new one that will stay in.

But, it's not a happy situation for him. I wish I could do more, but I know nothing will help him.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    edited April 2014

Hey guys, I don't mean to kill this "love fest" going on, but I'm sure if it keeps going we are going to get shut down. Then we all lose.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

mike, so sorry to hear. especially when you have your own "stuff" going on. back int he fall both my parents had medical issues (mom's extensive and LT in hospital/rehab), and just helping (from a distance and lots of quick trips) was exhausting. I can't imagine doing what you have been without serious help.

but, looks like you are at the hardest point: when the best thing for everyone is to move to a new arrangement. And as scary as it might be, sometimes that means professional care.

• Options

@brian125 said:
    ... Do we really need dealerships with marble floors and structures looking like the.................. Taj -mahal

All I can tell you is they wouldn't build those Taj-Mahals unless they sold cars, and, as Mike said, head office insists on it.

One fellow I know spent $1 million to update his GM dealership, only to have GM shut him down one year later. He has joined a class action lawsuit.

This is a business person who employs many people. He has operated a GM dealership that has been in business for 3 generations. How would you like to take that kind of risk, and have that happen to you?

• Better not punch abusive on me!!!!!!!!! :s

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @stickguy said:

" And as scary as it might be, sometimes that means professional care."

Professional care I don't think will help his dementia - even with a psychiatrist, he doesn't remember too much of the recent past. Now a psychiatrist for "me" might help.

As for getting help in the house for him, he will not allow that - we've discussed it a number of times. As for putting him into a care facility, I don't think we're quite at that point. Could be in a few months if he continues to decline, but marginal right now, at best.

I don't get any help from my brother - he's thrilled he lives 300 miles away. I asked him why he doesn't come down here so he could take care of Dad so I could have a couple of weeks off for a vacation or trip, but he refuses. He said I should get someone to watch him. He hasn't seen his father in 2 years yet he lives 30 minutes away by plane or a little over 4 hours by car. He just thinks a phone call once a week is sufficient.

Enough of my pouting - it 's my son's 43rd birthday today, so I need to call him in California.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

Mike, your case is different than mine with Mom, but there is help. Mom got dizzy and fell causing a bruise which led to a stroke. We found Amedisis which came out and helped about 4 days a week trying to get her back to normal. When it became worse, Amedisis handled all of it and had Hospice take over. All in our home. A good doctor and nurse came here for an interview and set up the care she needed. They supplied nurses and a lot of the meds, even a hospital bed and table. Medicare took care of it all. She got a couple of small bills from labs which I paid, but 99% was covered. When she died, we made one phone call to Hospice and they did all the rest.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    @ mako1a said :

"Mike, your case is different than mine with Mom, but there is help."

Hmmm...I'll have to look them up. It's just convincing Dad that I need to provide him with more help. You know the old adage - you can lead a horse to water ....

Thanks Mako.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

@abacomike said:
    @ mako1a said :

"Mike, your case is different than mine with Mom, but there is help."

Hmmm...I'll have to look them up. It's just convincing Dad that I need to provide him with more help. You know the old adage - you can lead a horse to water ....

Thanks Mako.

Mike - your comments about your dad has me thinking about mine. Last year he fell and broke his hip. Surgery and rehab kep him away from home almost 6 weeks.

Now he needs another surgery, but his other docs aren't sure if he can survive going under anethesia again due to pulmonary issues. Looking at options, and it's likely that I'll go to California if he does proceed.

Mom and I talk about options - he is quite immobile due to the constant pain he is in. They may decide to get some in-home help a few days a week.

My sister is closer but still 3-4 hours away by car and she's got 3 boys to raise.

One day at a time, one step at a time. Best of luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited April 2014

As a Louisville fan, this was my opinion on the 2014 NCAA Championship:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Burner, now you know how Mets fans felt, back when the Yankees used to be good.

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

@snakeweasel said:
    I have to ask what brought up that question?I have been in sales.

Oh I was just curious, I've been on these boards on and off for about 10 years and seen you as long here too, but never thought you were in sales until your comment of that you'd "be retired if every phone customer who said they'd buy would actually come in and buy". Funny but true.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

Speaking of dealerships with marble showrooms, there was a Volvo store in the local automall that ended up shutting its doors because Volvo headquarters told them they needed $xxxxxx amount of building and showroom upgrades to bring it up to standard with a new corporate image or look or something. From what I heard the upgrade would cost a million or two. The dealership owner shut his doors instead as I guess it just either wasn't worth it, or it would have taken forever to recoup costs.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options

Just trying to clear an old post that has become stuck. Is this site acting up again?

• Options
    @Michaell@Edmunds said:

"One day at a time, one step at a time. Best of luck!"

Sorry to hear about your Dad and his hip. That is very painful. Most older people do not survive long after breaking their hip .

My prayers are with you and Dad.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@boomchek said:. From what I heard the upgrade would cost a million or two. The dealership owner shut his doors

Owning a dealership can be pretty trying. Corporate demands a new showroom every few years. In this case, if you had a Volvo dealership would you sink a million dollars into it?
    Sales are down and can we be sure the new Chinese owners can get the company on track, or that North American buyers will pay a premium price for a Chinese made car?

Then there is this rumour from Reuters:
    The 87-year-old Swedish carmaker, acquired by China's Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co Ltd GEELY.UL in 2010, is torn between a desire to hang on to its roots - a focus on safety and Scandinavian understatement in car design - and a desire to turn the cars into large, flashy, high-end vehicles prized by affluent Chinese customers and which would compete head-on with BMW (BMWG.DE), Mercedes-Benz (DAIGn.DE) and Audi (VOWG_p.DE), said the sources.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882

@abacomike said:

As for getting help in the house for him, he will not allow that - we've discussed it a number of times. As for putting him into a care facility, I don't think we're quite at that point. Could be in a few months if he continues to decline, but marginal right now, at best.

Mike,

Not to butt in on a personal matter, but I was in the same situation with my Dad before he passed. He did not want "strangers" coming in to help. I finally told him that I couldn't do it all the time any more and that seemed to convince him. Of course, with his dementia, he had to be told that quite a few times before it stuck. At least it gave me a few hours a day, and occasionally a few days at a time, to catch my breath.

You deserve and need some time to yourself.

Joe

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    MORE RECALLS?

I heard on FBN that there was a serious problem with the airbags of 2001-? Chevrolet Impalas that resulted in deaths. I hope this is not another one of those issues that were known but not revealed.

I have always wondered how much testing goes into the component parts of manufactured vehicles when assembled. I know that testing is/should be vital, however I would think that with the thousands upon thousands of components that are in these cars that testing would reveal defects before they cause serious problems.

Compare the manufacture of Boeing aircraft with the manufacture of vehicles. Can you imagine what would happen if Boeing aircraft were recalled as often as vehicles for defects? The airlines would face significant drops in passenger miles. I sure would think twice before boarding a plane !

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@cdnpinhead said:
    The European model, in which people visit modest dealerships to examine and possibly drive
    representative vehicles, then order exactly what they want, may come to pass here, with an
    internet twist that allows very quick delivery of the ordered vehicle...I'm not holding my breath, but Tesla and others may help pave the way.

Most Americans would not be able to deal with having to wait for a car to be built. Even all mighty Tesla is taking 6-8 weeks from order to delivery.

• Options
    @venture said:

"At least it gave me a few hours a day, and occasionally a few days at a time, to catch my breath."

You are right on target! Just some time off from my caregiver job would be great. When I was in the hospital 6 weeks ago, it was difficult. He refused to get help and my brother refused to drive or fly down to watch him.

He did manage with help from the neighbors, but psychologically, he fell apart. I'd call him 5-6 times a day to put him at ease, but all he did was cry. He feels totally at a loss when I am not there because I am the only one he trusts. He does not feel safe, if you know what mean.

Yes, it's a tough situation. This could go on for many years because he is physically in terrific shape. I take him walking every day at a very fast pace - he has no problem keeping up. It 'a his blindness and his dimentia that are the cause of my concern.

I appreciate, very much , your input.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@boomchek said:
    Speaking of dealerships with marble showrooms, there was a Volvo store in the local automall
    that ended up shutting its doors because Volvo headquarters told them they needed $xxxxxx
    amount of building and showroom upgrades to bring it up to standard with a new corporate

image or look or something. From what I heard the upgrade would cost a million or two. The dealership owner shut his doors instead as I guess it just either wasn't worth it, or it would have taken forever to recoup costs.

My understanding is that dealers get some financing for the updates from the manufacturer and earn better bonuses based on sales. These update decisions aren't done on a whim by the manufacturer. The dealers are well aware right from the start that they are expected to update their stores from time to time.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@boomchek said:
    Speaking of dealerships with marble showrooms, there was a Volvo store in the local automall that ended up shutting its doors because Volvo headquarters told them they needed $xxxxxx amount of building and showroom upgrades to bring it up to standard with a new corporate image or look or something. From what I heard the upgrade would cost a million or two. The dealership owner shut his doors instead as I guess it just either wasn't worth it, or it would have taken forever to recoup costs.

Boom...seems Volvo has been teetering on the ledge for awhile in this country. Everyone I've ever spoken to who has owned one, has high praise for them. But, those folks are few and far between. And, even though I'm probably in their wheelhouse as the type of customer they seek, I don't remember ever wanting to look at a Volvo. Can't really explain why, either.

The style? The lack of a slam dunk sports model? Reliability? I don't know if Volvo suffers from any of these maladies. All I know is they never make it to my short list.

I know when the great financial crisis hit in '07-'08, many of the car manufacturers told their franchisees that the underperforming stores had to either shut their doors or spend serious green on building updates. To me, it was no coincidence that most of those who refused to update, were older, smaller, family franchises housed in old, less than modern, buildings.

Was it fair? Probably not. But, that's the down side of signing a franchise agreement. The franchiser gets to dictate how the franchisee behaves.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

@abacomike said:I heard on FBN that there was a serious problem with the airbags of 2001-? Chevrolet Impalas that resulted in deaths.

Mike, you may know if this is true or not. When we were looking for our 1999 Mercedes, one salesman was showing us how safe a Mercedes was. He showed us a pin that was in the back door - which fit into the body when closed, so there was less chance the rear doors wouldn't open in a crash. He said, in Europe, when there is a crash, the car manufacturers get those cars and study the wreck to see how they could improve on the safety.

I know European cars do get recalled, but I don't know of a fault, where lives were lost because of faulty design or sloppy manufacturing.

Being in the book business, I know this. A few years ago Fisher Price recalled baby books that had teething rings built into the book. The books, were made in China and contained harmful chemicals. I could buy books from England that had a teething ring and I asked if they were safe. I was told, their standards are so high, if they put a product on the market with a harmful chemical, they would be shut down immediately.

• Options
    edited April 2014

@graphicguy said: I don't remember ever wanting to look at a Volvo.

Volvo makes good solid cars for the most part. They aren't flashy, and they don't have the road handling or feel of say a bmw. There forte is safety, and they are built to the highest safety standards. But, that is a narrow buying group. Most people in that class of car want handling...bmw, mb, Audi, or they want some flash, Cadillac, Lincoln.......Volvo's are comfortable though - well designed ergonomically. I like their styling, usually a little bit on the conservative side.

Also, with the new Chinese ownership there is a great unknown. Will Volvo survive, will they maintain their standards, etc.

My wife's family love Volvos...we had a 95 and it was truly a lemon....I said I wouldn't buy another one.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

@driver100 said:
    Volvo makes good solid cars for the most part. They aren't flashy, and they don't have the road handling or feel of say a bmw. There forte is safety, and they are built to the highest safety standards. But, that is a narrow buying group. Most people in that class of car want handling...bmw, mb, Audi, or they want some flash, Cadillac, Lincoln.......Volvo's are comfortable though - well designed ergonomically. I like their styling, usually a little bit on the conservative side.

My wife has always aspired to have a Volvo ... she likes the looks of the XC60 and thinks they are very safe.

However, she has a co-worker with an XC90 who complains about reliability issues.

Granted, it's a sample of one, but the wife says to cross it off the list.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

@nyccarguy said:
    I'm very excited for tonight's NCAA Championship Game. Since I'm a CT resident, I can root for UCONN. As a Yankees fan (who attended opening day at The Stadium with my 7 1/2 year old son), if UK wins it is good for me too. I think every year UK has won a title since 1960 something, the Yankees win the World Series;)

I'm happy for you, and congratulations. Since my ACC teams lost out in the Sweet Sixteen, I no longer had a dog in the fight.

Richard

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

Back in 1991 we leased a 744T(740 Turbo Sedan). We had a couple of minor interior issues but overall the reliability was very good. The local dealer was pretty pathetic(at the time the local M-B dealer had the franchise) so we had it serviced in Cincy when we visited my in-laws. What sealed the car's doom was its performance in the snow. Boost would come on at @500 rpm off idle and combine that with a "loose" torque converter and there was almost no way to pull away on a slick surface without spinning the tires.
    But boy, it was sure fun at the Stoplight Grand Prix...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    genericramgenericram Member Posts: 12

Snake: "Sounds like your taking an extra step in there that you really don't need to take."

I should explain myself. The car I wanted to buy existed at the dealership, but was being driven by the dealer principal and wouldn't be available for a while. The sales person told me ( truthfully, it turned out) that another one like it would come off the truck in a week or 2. I was aware that another area dealer that I wasn't too fond of DID have the car, and I also was considering a different option. I was being truthful when I said I needed to look around a little, which I did do. Aside from that, Snake is probably right, but it sure was nice to avoid the (probable) back and forth on the sales floor.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited April 2014

Speaking of Taj Mahal style dealerships. This phenomenon is driven by the consumer. Take these two scenarios for example: I have a choice of servicing my Buick at a dealership only three miles away but instead I drive 20 miles to brand new spanking Buick dealership.

There, I get my freshly brewed Keurig coffee, croissants, the Wall Street Journal, individual leather seats, with a moveable writing surface, complimentary car wash, free Wi-Fi and Hi Def TV. Incidentally, this new dealership is a take-over of a family run Buick/GMC that could no longer operate the dealership to GM's standards for its luxury brand.

The other example is a Cadillac dealership. Its showroom and service department looked so ordinary and so early 1970s that I walked right out. I couldn't bring myself to paying Cadillac prices in such a pedestrian setting. In short, it left a bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't be surprised if GM took the dealership away from this complacent neighborhood Caddy dealership. Who knows, perhaps a new facility is on the drawing board.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited April 2014

@venture said:
    "At least it gave me a few hours a day, and occasionally a few days at a time, to catch my breath."

@abacomike said: Just some time off from my caregiver job would be great.

Mike, I feel your pain, but hang in there buddy. I don't know if it is a gender thing but it seems as though that men aren't very good at providing end of life care. The stress factor can be overwhelming and without the involvement of the extended family such care perhaps should be turned over to the professionals.

• Options
    genericramgenericram Member Posts: 12

On the other hand, if I think the dealership has an honest sales force and good mechanics, I don't care if it looks like a mom and pop welding shop. I'm pretty rural, though.

This discussion has been closed.