Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota on the mend?

1313314315316317319»

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2013
    Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

So the series is tied 1 -1, but there's several hundred more innings to go.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Not the most credible decision making force there, perhaps.

More gold for lawyers, yay.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like that award will be appealed and overturned. NHTSA and top electronics experts could find no evidence of electronic defects, but a jury in Oklahoma does?
    Exactly. I am sure the jury had much credibility and education on the subject. OK is known for that.

Also, how many of these cases involve people under 50? Just sayin ;)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Next Lexus RX?

That front and rear overhang is ridiculous. otherwise not a bad update.

edited October 2013
    That's a lot of money for big feet.
    edited October 2013
    Could be more bad press if a big punitive damages award came down, an appeal isn't a slam dunk and I'm sure the other side likes the certainty of the settlement and a faster payout.

The other interesting thing is that apparently Oklahoma juries aren't known for big personal injury judgments, from the NY Times link and some quick net skimming. (link and link)
    I wonder how it would have come down had the car been a Chevy pickup?
    edited October 2013
    Guess it'd depend on whether the truck took out a stripper well when it ran amok....
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Friend of mine is a DA in Texas and he jokes that the only reason TX doesn't fall in to the Gulf of Mexico is because OK sucks.

Hate him not me. LOL
    Those 3 models scored a Poor in IIHS' new crash tests:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/10/toyota-camry-rav4-no-longer-reco- mmended-safety-concerns/index.htm

So much for accusations of bias, if anything they've had it out for Toyota lately, some here will recall the Lexus GX "Do Not Buy" stamp for skidding in tests, while Jeep Grand Cherokee got a pass when it did the same thing.
    The Prius V is on the "poor" crash test list too. Our van's in the shop with a bad fuel injector and I'm trying to use the test results to convince my wife that we can get by driving it yet another year while Toyota fixes the V before shopping. She's losing a bit of patience with the van though. :D

(My bud in Sweetwater liked the joke btw).
    Yup, that's in the thread title.

That doesn't include the regular Prius. I don't think it's been tested yet.

Toyota should consult with Subaru on safety structures. Subaru is far more consistent.

"Toyota said Monday that it will close its factories in Australia by the end of 2017, a move that will cost thousands of jobs and leave the country without a major automobile manufacturer.

Toyota attributed the decision to the strength of the Australian dollar and high production costs in what the company described as one of the "most open and fragmented automotive markets in the world."

A strong Aussie dollar makes imports cheaper, and makes it difficult for manufacturers to export cars to overseas markets."

Toyota exit heralds end of Australia's auto industry (ktuu.com)

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

And Toyota is in the down column for January, with all the domestics, while Subaru is up 19%.

Although actually the Australian news is attributed to inevitability after GM and Ford got out, not Toyota hitting another rough patch. 2500 people are losing their jobs. :-(

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Profits are up. But so are recalls. Here's the latest:

"Toyota Motor Corp. will recall 1.9 million of its flagship Prius hybrid vehicles to fix faulty software in the hybrid system.

The number of the company's flagship hybrids to be recalled is the largest ever for the model, far outstripping the 397,000 recalled world-wide in February 2010. The Prius first went into production in 1997.

The setback comes after Toyota said last week it expects a record profit for the current business year."

Toyota To Recall 1.9 Million Prius Hybrids (marketwatch.com)

edited April 2014

The fake DLO behind the rear door/in the C-pillar is absolutely awful, IMHO. Grille isn't exactly elegant either, but that's Toyolex.

So, we've been thinking about a Prius v for a while now but have yet to drive one.

We had company from San Diego visiting most of this week - BIL who has a regular Prius in his household, usually his wife's daily driver. AAA finally cut him off. They've had six tows to date! (I forget the year, but want to say it's an '08).

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    We had company from San Diego visiting most of this week - BIL who has a regular Prius in his household, usually his wife's daily driver. AAA finally cut him off. They've had six tows to date! (I forget the year, but want to say it's an '08).

What failed that caused the various tows?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited April 2014

First off a brake failure issue caused his wife to rear-end someone (sounded it bit like a SUA incident). They wondered if something got bent underneath thanks to the low clearance as she tried to get to the shoulder trying to avoid hitting the other car but it checked out okay. The dealer told them that a couple of later motive battery issues weren't related to anything scraped underneath. A couple of times it just quit for no reason. I think the other time was due to it being completely dead, but I didn't take good notes.

Oh, and the tires last them about 20k. (That saves a lot of oil, right?)

He also complained about the seats; hard and not comfy for longer trips. They are getting about 50 mpg on it though.

Sounds like some of my friend's complaints about his Prius C - a car he fantasizes about being hit by a falling tree or stolen (I told him zero chance of the latter). The seats kill his back. Hasn't been towed yet, but it did have some nav issues.

I am always skeptical of brake failure claims unless they can be replicated.