Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Options
    hensworthhensworth Member Posts: 1
    I need some info on the Sequoia. Can't decide what to buy. Please give me impressions
  • Options
    sumo_boysumo_boy Member Posts: 2
    salm, how about filling me in on some of that info.
  • Options
    jimbob7216jimbob7216 Member Posts: 15
    I am a lurker who is very interested in the Sequoia and the MDX, and will probably buy one of them in the March-April time frame. Salm please email me with pricing/dealership, etc at:
    jimbob7216@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

Jim
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Last night I did an interesting experiment. We got a little over an inch of snow (which is enough to send the DC area into a panic) and then it froze up. Our back lot was a sheet of hard packed snow and ice. I took a 4Runner out to play. I don't have any Sequoias in stock but the Runner has the same 4WD system.
    First, I put it into 4WD high. From a standing start, I mashed the pedal to the floor. The terms "shot out of a cannon" and "like a bat out of hell" are how I would describe it. It was like I was on dry pavement. The TRACS light came on and the brakes did their job at moving power from wheel to wheel. The rev limiter never kicked in.

I then tried it again with the center differential locked. You can't do this in the high gear range in the Sequoia but it also simulated what a conventional 4WD would do. In this mode, the TRACS and VSC are off. I still moved but could really feel the wheels spinning. Control was not great and I had a fair amount of side slipping. I did it again without mashing the pedal. This worked much better.

Next, I put it into 2WD and mashed the pedal. Now here is where it got interesting. The TRACS system quickly took over with both the brakes and the throttle. My RPMs were reduced to between 1500 and 2500. The brakes were clicking constantly but I was moving steadily forward. The throttle would cut in and out with my forward progress. If I eased up on the pedal, control improved even more but even with the pedal on the floor, I was able to move forward and turn with ease.

This was a stunning display of the TRACS/VSC. Even I was amazed at how well this 2WD vehicle was handling extremely slippery conditions. Obviously, the 4WD worked much better but the 2WD got me moving and in control.
  • Options
    salmsalm Member Posts: 17
    Cliffy1: I got my Sequoia back from the dealership yesterday.
    I had the problem with the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights that would not turn off.
    They said they only had to reset the computer. There were no error codes, so reseting the system was all they needed to do. I mentioned that this was not a satisfactory explanation, because something had to trip the error condition. And if it was not fixed, how do I know that it won't happen again, or that something is in fact damaged.
    Their reply was always, if we don't know the error code, we don't know where to look.
    I did get the center differential to lock in L4 and L gear.

I got to drive it on the freeway yesterday, and noticed that around 60 MPH the car has a slight vibration. Nothing major just a slight vibration. Accelerating past 60 or slowing less than 60, the vibration appears to go away.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
    If the computer is/was fried, it would not work again by resetting. Computer errors are common, though we all wish all computers are more robust. IMHO, I wouldn't worry at all unless the error repeatedly appears. With respect to vibration at certain speed, it is probably caused by one or more unbalanced tire. Just have all tires balanced.
  • Options
    See what happens. Hopefully, your dealer was right and it wont happen again. Let us know if it does. I've seen some very odd ball things cause VSC lights to come on on the Avalon and most of them have nothing to do with the VSC. One had a vapor recovery problem that caused it.
  • Options
    vidalsvidals Member Posts: 1
    In your area and ready to buy. Could you give me the info on your dealership? Thank you. terri@truepath.com
  • Options
    aadmaniaadmani Member Posts: 1
    Need to select between the two.
    Any ideas and suggestions.
  • Options
    qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    They are different animals. If you want to go off road alot , or to tow a lot of stuff, and to have one more seat, you probably need a Sequoia. But if you want a quicker vehicle, luxury interior, LOWER PRICE, lower fuel cost (even with premium gas because of MDX's much higher mpg), better handling, quieter and smoother ride, luxury name tag, MDX is the one.

I had to face the same choice 2 month ago. I tested both and settled on MDX. The MDX gives me all the toys standard including 4WD full time, 5sp automatic transmission, sunroof, Alloy wheels, fog lights, 7 seats, etc. and still about $2500 less than a Sequoia (SR5 4WD) with less features. I don't go offroad and don't tow a lot of stuff so my choice was easy.

BTW, Sequoia has a better roof rack in my opinion.
  • Options
    mmmakimmmaki Member Posts: 1
    Well it took almost 3 months for my wife and I to decide what suv to get and on dec 29 we picked up our new toyota seq 4WD SR5. I wanted to get the fully loaded eddie b. 4WD cuz we were getting the z plan price plus the $1400 rebate that was offered last week. The fully loaded Ford was much cheaper than the toyota SR5. My wife wanted the seq. and my friends said lease a Ford so that we can return it after the lease or buy a toyota and keep it for a long time. Well, after driving the car for one week I can say that for the first time in our marriage my wife was correct (good thing she wont be reading this).The toyota looks great, drives smooth and fast with its V8 engine. My friends who have Ford eddy b's compared our seq side by side with their ford. They said it looks much roomier even though Ford says its not and it drove much better than the eddy b. They also said that my wife was correct and good thing she convinced me to buy the seq. They also told me that they have had to bring their Ford exp. 97 and 98 to the dealer shop to fix problems with the trans,some comp. chip and suspension problems. They told me after I bought the seq. hoping that i would buy the ford so that I can suffer like them.

Lets get to picing and options. Please tell me if I got a bad,good or great deal.
    We purchased our Toyota SR5 4WD with the following options -Alloy wheel package -Convenience package-power tilt moonroof-roof rack-dual control AC-Daytime running lights-power adjustable front and pass.seats.
    MSRP price $39,120 add tax, plates and title I dont know if destination was included with MSRP.

We got ours for out the door price for $39,800 this price included tax, plates, title, destination and he also included floor mats and put a hood protector on.

Im not a Ford basher Im going to buy a Ford Escape next year for myself The seq is my wifes suv.

Last thing the only con so far with the seq. GAS MILEAGE SUCKS!!!!!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You left out several important points though. One doesn't have to go off-road a lot nor tow a lot to want the Sequoia.

I agree that they're both completely different animals.The Sequoia is significantly larger than the MDX overall, so it's not just a matter of having one extra seat. The MDX is a good vehicle for people who need the occasional 3rd row for kids. However, the Sequoia's 3rd row is actually usable for adults for fairly long trips. It has a fair amount of cargo room behind the 3rd row to boot. I'm only 5' 9" and I could not sit on the driver's side portion of the MDX's 3rd row seat. I just barely fit on the passenger side of the 3rd row seat, but that's with the 2nd row 40% section moved forward. The 60% portion cannot do this. In addition to this, entry and exit to the MDX's 3rd row is extremely difficult.

In addition to the above, the Sequoia has selectable full-time 4WD - 50/50 split - whereas MDX has auto AWD with a low speed (below 6mph - full-time mode). The Sequoia also has stability control/traction control whereas the MDX does not. The extra weight of the Toyota which hurts the fuel economy gives it an advantage over the MDX in accidents.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    It sounds like a good deal but is impossible to tell without knowing how much of your "out the door" price was taken up by the taxes and tags.
  • Options
    jcnew4whlrjcnew4whlr Member Posts: 18
    OK, I've ordered the Seq SR5, didn't have exact on the lot, expect it in next few weeks.

My question is, are the dealer 'Simonize 5 Year Wax and Upholstry Guarantee' ($389) and the 'Straight from Toyota 6 year 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ($1,487) even worth considering?

This is my first SUV (I/m starting at the top!) and with 4WD and all those computer gadgets, I'm thinking about the extended warranty.

Opinions -preferably laced with fact- please.
  • Options
    controlgodcontrolgod Member Posts: 14
    The only dealer that I know in SD is Haar Motors in Aberdeen (I believe). I know several people who have dealt with them, each of these people living in the Twin Cities (St Paul/Minneapolis) area of MN. I've heard that they are very good on prices

Thanks for any feedback.

Tony K
  • Options
    brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Would have to disagree just a bit. It seemed to me that the Seq was quiter and smoother than the MDX on rough ground and with wind.

Also, I beleive the MDX could keep up with the Seq off roading with the exception of ground clearence limiting events so I would not place too much weight off roading between these two.

Lastly, I looked at both of these as well at a time when I couldnt really decide what they were intended for but they are really two different SUV's. If you dont need the extra towing, extra space and are usually using the 4wd/awd for snow and ice then I would give the edge to the MDX. Its cheaper, gets better milage and probably will be equal in quality although I hate to bet against toyota here.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Without low range gearing, with its soft springs, 4 wheel independent suspension, and lack of any underbody protection (especially for the expensive rear differential), the MDX is only suitable (and designed for) for light off-roading. Since most people don't intend to bring their expensive SUVs off-road, this is just fine, even though I think Acura could've done a better job of protecting/tucking up some of the components.. In addition, the MDX's non-permanent AWD system (FWD until slippage or upon acceleration) is not ideal for off-roading since the sudden torque transfer between front and rear axles could upset the vehicle's position. This is why off-roaders prefer permanent 4WD systems or part-time systems. The torque split ratio is always about the same (at 50/50).

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    SD = San Diego

Sorry about the confusion.
  • Options
    After completing the first of what I hope to be many thousand miles,
    I have calculated our gas mileage to be 13.1 mpg.
    The overhead console computer has calculated that I'm getting
    15.2 mpg.
    The difference is $18 more in gas based on 1.70/gal. WOW!
    At 100,000, it would cost approximately $1800 more driving at 13.1
    than it would if we got 15.2.
  • Options
    qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    The crash test data for Honda odyssey, which MDX was derived from, and Tundra, which Sequoia was derived from, should be available. Check it out before making decisions
  • Options
    wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    To fill the lower spectrum of the SUV line up, it's a bargain Lexus RX300.

You can find some information here.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/articles/2001/01/08/012401.html

Priced between $23.5K and $26.5K. It's not much more than a midsize sedan.
  • Options
    rufusedrufused Member Posts: 8
    I got my warranty bumper to bumper from toyota with 6 years 100,000 miles.for 875$ with 50.deductable. I beleave warranty are like buying a car try dealing them down if they don't come down call some other dealer toyota warrantys are good at all toyota's dealers.MY dealer started with 1265.and came down and through in the paint protector every 6 month.ask (cliffy1)or(Dianne4toyota) will know.
  • Options
    sardusardu Member Posts: 7
    Just got the Silver Sky Limited. Got a good deal - fully loaded for 42500. I bought the plantium ext coverage 6yr/100,000 $0 deductable for $995. My sales person was the best. A Q for other new owners, anything I should look at for in the next few weeks as far as defects?
  • Options
    dixon5dixon5 Member Posts: 1
    we went and test drove a sequoia we loved it. we also have children and they were in the middle seat while test driving, they decided to open the window. our windows in front were closed and boy to our surprise the whole truck shook(the roof, the seats, the mirror.) So we test drove another one and guess what? same problem. some people may never open the middle rear windows only, but if I am paying that much for a sub than I certainly don't want it to shake like that,we couldn't even talk to each other,it sounded like we were gargling. we decided not to purchase the sequoia because of this. I feel it could cause an accident if you weren't aware of this. everyone should test this before buying.
  • Options
    What you are experiencing is common in new and airtight vehicles. Most of our products do this. By opening another window or the back window, this effect is reduced.
  • Options
    nemosnemos Member Posts: 5
    Where did you purchase your new Sequoia? We also live in the Phila area and are looking for a Sequoia. It's always good to go to a dealer someone else has had a good experience with.
  • Options
    slickrockslickrock Member Posts: 60
    That was an interesting experiment you did in #506. It sounds like the some in the Toyota engineering community are convinced that TRACS can completely replace locking center, rear, and front differentials. But until the off-roading public becomes believers, Toyota marketing didn't want to risk offering the vehicle without a locking center diff, which turns the drivetrain into one that is equivalent to a pre-1999 transfer case without a center diff.

It sounds like TRACS works really well in high range on a level but slippery road. That's certainly where it will be used in the majority of cases. I wonder how TRACS would do in low-range Drive (i.e., with TRACs still enabled) on a slippery (e.g., sand covered) 30 degree rocky upslope that you need to climb at 1 mph. That's a case I am interested in, but would have trouble testing here in the midwest. That's a case where a locking center diff in low/low would do well until you got opposite diagonal wheels unweighted or losing traction on a slippery surface.

I once watched a 4Runner try and power his way up a rocky slope. He got a rear wheel off the ground, and it promptly spun up a storm, and when it hit the ground again, the instant deceleration snapped the axle like a twig. That's probably a key reason why TRACs has rev-limiting capability, and is also why I want to go only 1 mph under those conditions.

The 2WD case sure does sound like what happened in the infamous "accelerated into highway is slippery conditions and lost power" case. Rule-of-thumb, always keep it in 4WD except in dry summer highway driving.

Question: When you select 2WD mode, does it disconnect in the transfer case (like the older manual transfer cases), or does it just unlock the front wheel hubs. If it does just the latter, then you aren't saving any wear and tear on the drivetrain in 2WD mode, and the mileage may barely differ.

Re: "I had the problem with the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights that would not turn off. They said they only had to reset the computer." Is this something the owner's manual tells you how to do, or must you take it to a dealer (ugh). Would the service manual tell you? Would it also tell you some of the computer options that can be set, like the rear window unlocking sequence? Maybe there's an optional setting to enable TRACs in low/low ;-).

This is something users need to know how to do. Computers are everywhere, and the code in them is generally not bulletproof and can get lost in hyperspace should an unusual condition (or timing of conditions) occur. Just this past week, for example, I've had to reset my dishwasher (by switching the breaker), my cable modem (by pulling the power cord), and my computer (by pulling the plug - cycling the power switch had no effect) twice.
  • Options
    calvinhobbescalvinhobbes Member Posts: 7
    I was over at the Tundra/Sequ Solutions site.
    I was under the impression that the Sequ engine was basically the same as the Lexus engines.
    People are complaining, however, about tapping, clicking, valve problems, etc. with the Sequ engine.
    Is this a different engine?
    Also, what type of gas mileage are you guys getting?
  • Options
    scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    Let me ask a question, how does the Sequioa compare to the Landcrusier and LX 470? No so much frills, but functional, i.e does Landcruiser and LX 470 both have the solid rear axle? etc.
  • Options
    zimm3zimm3 Member Posts: 1
    I've purchased a new Sequoia and have had it for about 6 weeks. The vehicle hesitates when accelerating after slowing down or coming to a complete stop (on dry pavement). It does not do this all the time. Has anyone else had this problem? What, if any, remedy did Toyota give you?
  • Options
    milescfamilescfa Member Posts: 2
    On our 1 week old Seq LTD, occasionally the driver seat motor makes a grinding noise. Any one seeing this?
    FYI: I earlier posted that we got $3,000 off MSRP in Atlanta - Sandy Springs Toyota - which still appears to be a good deal.
  • Options
    I went to Faulkner Toyota on RT 1 in Trevose. It's right below the PA turnpike. Ask for Blaise (pron. Blaze). Tell him Scott sent you.
  • Options
    rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    I posted an update about 400 miles ago where I mentioned that I had to order a new lever for the passenger side middle seat after it inexplicably broke off in my hand (anyone else have that happen?) and I'm happy to say that the dealer was able to get the part in only two days. I was pretty concerned that since this was a new model I was going to be using my 'aftermarket lever' - a pair of pliers- for a while. The dealer who serviced the truck, McGee Toyota in Hanover, MA was very responsive. They came out and installed the lever in the parking lot so I wouldn't have to wait.
    1200 miles and no complaints. I am driving in 4WD all the time now and have had no problems with VSC/TRACS cutting in at inopportune times. I think this is the way that the truck was intended to be driven.
    I'm trying not to get used to the bass problems with the radio. It sounds better at higher volumes and is not all that bad, but I am still hopeful that there will be a fix for this.
    Handling in the ice and snow has been exceptional!
  • Options
    nemosnemos Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. I will be stopping by Faulkner sometime in the next few weeks! I actually am looking for a fully-loaded Silver Sky Limited also. Let me know how you like it.
  • Options
    Yesterday, I had an interesting experience. A customer walked into our show room and was greeted by one of our rookie salesmen with poor language skills. They were looking for a loaded up SR5. They really wanted a Limited but only wanted the desert sand color. Our fearless (and clueless) salesman said he would check our allocation.

As the salesman walked to the desk, I heard the customer say in a loud voice "Oh great. Here we go again." Then, pointing to me he asked, "Are you a salesman? Can you please help us?"

I greeted him and asked for a minute to call off the other guy. I had overheard what the guy wanted and knew it was going to take some professional level help to meet his needs. After a brief... discussion... with said rookie, I came back and proceed to figure out what the customer needed.

The couple was very nice and well informed. We figured out exactly what they needed and quickly came to a mutually acceptable price for the order. All went very smoothly.

Here's the part that bothers me. They are active lurkers on this board. They relied on information posted here by all of you and myself is coming to a decision. They didn't realize that I am a salesman in their back yard.

So... for all of you in the DC area, my name is Steve Clifford and I sell Toyota at Springfield Toyota. The number here is 703-451-0300 and my e-mail address is sclifford@kjtoyota.com. Don't put yourself through the headache of dealing with inexperienced and unimformed salesmen if you don't have to.
  • Options
    I have made my e-mail public. E-mail me and I can help you out more with your purchase.
  • Options
    Does anyone know of any car seats that use the new ISOFIX system that the Sequoia comes with?
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Fisher-Price makes a convertible car seat that works with ISOFIX (rear-facing for infants until 12 months, then forward-facing). List price about $162. See:

http://www.fisherprice.com/US/products/product.asp?id=621
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Maybe you could get Edmund's to post a banner for you here on the Sequoia topic. Of course to be fair, they would have to do the same for Diane; and ISell in the Honda topic.....

So did they retrain or fire the "rookie" salesman? Seems like a worthless individual if you ask me.....
  • Options
    He's still here but he wont last. I don't mind rookies, everybody has to start somewhere, but this guy was about to loose a very valuable customer. He was very angry at me for "steeling" his customer but got no where with the management.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Hey Cliffy

WHATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS UP?????????????

Hey you should come back to the tundra topic it has cooled off alot recently.

Post #538 way to toot your own horn.

Ryan
  • Options
    There goes the neighborhood
  • Options
    haha business must be slow for you huh? Free online advertising?

The neighborhood isnt going anywhere just wanted to say hi

Ryan
  • Options
    Hey serious question cliffy

Ok can you get a factory hitch on the limited tundras??? What about the SR5's?

Ryan
  • Options
    One other thing does it state in the tundra or sequoia manual about not towing over 45mph or using sway bars when towing? Thanks

Ryan
  • Options
    toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    I cannot be your customer because I'm too far away, but I wished I could.

Can you please clarify this recurring question to me? Can we actually include the convenience package, fog lights, and rear spoiler in a build-to-order for an SR5? I am still confused by the mixed information that the dealers in "my neighborhood" are giving me. I am trying to order an SR5 with these and other options.

What's frustrating is that the dealers giving me the "better offers" are telling me that I cannot have these options on an SR5. The ones that charge more, said I can. I just want a straight answer because I know you've had a lot more built-to-orders.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    Can you try opening one rear window of whatever vehicle you are driving now while it is running? This resonance noise is fairly common in vehicles including mine, and each vehicle design resonantes at different speeds.

Just curious.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, youo can not order an SR5 with the spoiler or fog lights. It can be had with the convenience pacakge.
  • Options
    1lowrider1lowrider Member Posts: 5
    Cliffy,
    I've followed this forum for quite some time. Have always appreciated your opinion. It seems a bit out of character for you to slam your fellow employee. Why not share your knowledge with him. I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way - and I'm sure others too - that you would publicly "dis" him like that. It gives the impression that the sales people at your business are sharks, and would eat their young to get that sale. Were you a big shot car dealer from the start, or were you a "rookie" once? Just a thought.
  • Options
    mechengr1mechengr1 Member Posts: 19
    Sardu,

also referencing #541. I have that particular seat for my son, and it is a good seat. I currently have it in a 96 Blazer I have but will be transferring it to the Seq. once I get one.

NL