Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• I suggest that you try different dealers. I don't know what the deal is about side air bags. Some dealers told me I can't have it on an SR5, some said I can get it through preferencing. I have been also having a problem finding an SR5 with only the AH package and the GY option. Most of the SR5 units on the lots have all the Gulf States and dealer garbage on them.

Please share your Sequoia buying experience.
  • rruck1rruck1 Posts: 91
    I am close to purchasing a new Sequoia SR5 4X4 and had a couple of questions.
    Has anyone found dealers willing to work off invoice? The best I've been able to find is $2000 off list?
    What is the issue I have been hearing about wind noise at highway speeds?
    Any current owners have actual gas mileage numbers?
    Any general info/experiences with the Sequoia would be helpful
    Thanks
  • I also wanted an sr5 with the side airbag option and all the dealers in my area said they only came on the limited as an option. I called toyota and they said that certain parts of the country get different options available on the sr5 and they put me in touch with a dealer in Phila. He ordered an sr5 for me with the airbags.For some reason my local dealer said he couldn't order it for me that way. This is the number for toyota that I called and they were very helpful. They also said it should be no problem to order an sr5 with the side airbags it would take probably 8 weeks at least however.1-800-331-4331 and press option 3. Good luck, I'll hopefully have mine in 4 weeks.I also got it for 2000 under msrp.
  • We bought a Limited 4wd about 8 weeks ago. This is a great SUV...no comparison to the Explorer piece of crap I dumped. My 6 year old flips the seat to climb in the back with ease. My 3 year old sits in his car seat behind me. His feet can't reach the back of my seat when he doesn't like the toy in his happy meal. It cost an arm and a leg, but we justified it with the feeling that we will drive this one for a loooong time. We did not drive off the Ford lot 5 years ago with that feeling. Average MPG is 16.1 so far (mostly city). Only 2 complaints. The first one is the colors suck. If you don't like white or black, the pickins get slim. The green is too green. The blue is too blue. The gold is just plain ugly. We got the thunder grey, which changes color based on the light and angle. The second complaint is that the accessory outlet for the cell phone doesn't have constant power. When we forget to turn off the phone, the phone battery drains. This is pretty annoying. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, we enjoyed the play!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Any dealership can order an SR5 with side air bags. It isn't easy, not fun and you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks before you get it. Some dealerships will not do it. Contrary to some opinions, the Sequoia is selling at a brisk pace and some dealerships don't see a reason to bother with an order on a vehicle that will sell quickly for a large profit once it comes in. As I have said before, shop just as hard for a decent an honest dealership and salesman as you do for a price. Finally, remember that the best price isn't always the best deal.
  • I was also told that I could not get the CQ on an SR5. Weird! Similarly, I could not get the AH package without the sunroof. Weirder!

I think the second issue is a distributor discretion. But I think the availability of the GY on any vehicle price range should be made easier. Toyota is supposed to understand that we are supposed to save our #@!, and those of our children too. This is an issue of need versus want. So the consumers should be given an easier choice, without having to wait for 8 weeks or spend $40-45K.
  • Cliffy,

A dealership also told me that I cold not get the airbags on an SR5. I guess the logic is that people who cannot afford to pay $40-45k are not worth saving.

I was also told that I could not get the CQ on an SR5. Weird! Similarly, I could not get the AH package without the sunroof. Weirder!

I think the second issue is a distributor discretion. But I think the availability of the GY (airbags) on any vehicle price range should be made easier. Toyota is supposed to understand that we are supposed to save our #@!, and those of our children too. This is an issue of need versus want. So the consumers should be given an easier choice, without having to wait for 8 weeks or spend $40-45K.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    To those who have asked for this, here is mine (again):

First the preamble: I own a Silver Sky Seq SR5 with Titanium-colored leather seat and trim, and dealer-installed American Racing chrome wheels. The dealer charged $1500 for the latter on the sticker, although what I paid was far less...

Driving experience: So far so good. Yes, there is wind noise, and I plan to check the air vent system to see if it does reduce the noise a little. The car handles great, as expected. Other than wind noise, I have found no other driving-related problem with this vehicle. But, to my surprise, the CD player stopped working 2 days later. I have a replacement on order from the dealer, but I sure wasn't happy not being able to play my music for the past few days. I hope the CD player comes back soon...

On a different note, I've found people simply staring at the car with admiration :-) All my friends love the vehicle and some have actually taken it out for a test drive. I have a couple friends that are looking to get one soon.

One regret I have is that I never gave the Acura MDX a test drive. This car is simply too scarce to find at any local dealership here in San Diego. And without a test drive, I could not possibly plunk down $37K just like that. Maybe the MDX would prove to be a better overall value than the Sequoia, time will tell. In the meantime, I plan to enjoy this new car with the kids and we already have scheduled a trip to Vegas Xmas weekend... Should be fun :-))
  • I live in Houston and I started reading this forum some 6 weeks ago. It has been a big help and after looking nationwide and with Cliffy, I closed a deal here in town on a 4x2 Limited. We had one item we didn't want, the rear spoiler and one we wanted, the side air bags. To give up the splr. we had to give up the SCAB's. (nice acronym, eh??) Why?? Because, I was told, that Toyota only ships them, per Gulf States specs, together even though they are seperately priced options. Gulf States can add a spoiler along with their other junk, but in the end, no SCAB's. cb..If you want to contact me offline, I will give you the dealers name. Good guy and their internet sales manager. fyi...I got the ltd with all stuff except splr and air bags and things like the gold package for <$40K. The next best deal in town was $41.5K. Call me and he might give you a pleasant surprize.
    Great job. I'm glad everything worked out for you locally. I really wish I had access to some 4x2s but as long as the 4x4s keep selling this fast in VA, I don't see it happening.
  • If you go to tundra solutions under SR5 silver sky, second post you will see a mesage from lonv asking you to e-mail pictures to him and he will put in member vehicles. Thanks I am looking forward to seeing your vehicle. Also do your doors have cloth inserts or leather? 6 in-dash cd? Thanks Bob Hanson
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    I dont know that the MDX is a "better value" than the Seq, they are really very different vehicles.

The MDX is for someone who wants a more high performance SUV that operates well on snow/ice and can give up on some towing and size. It is louder inside and has a firmer ride than the Seq by far but it is a hell of a lot quicker, sportier.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    rhanson3: Yes, I have already sent 2 pictures to 1onv for posting to the Tundrasolutions site. The picture of the car and of the chrome wheels. No, my door has leather trim, and I have the single CD player that came with the SR5.

brillmtb: Thanks for the info on the MDX. I could not have suggested that the MDX is a "better value" than the Seq. since both cars are new to the market. Only time will tell which is better, for my money I own the Seq and loves it no doubt...
  • tbevertbever Posts: 39
    I have a LTD 4*4. City driving only, with recent storm and one reeeally bad traffic jam caught in stop and go traffic for almost 2 hrs. Total 211.8 miles req 19.46 gallons = 10.88 MPG. The trip computer read 14.5 MPG average. There may be a slight allowance for the amount of under/overfilling when the pump stops automatically (I did not top off the tank) but I think this is fairly accurate. Thankfully the price of gas is coming down. This is with about 1000 miles on vehicle: it should be broken in. I have not noticed much wind noise on the highway except when it is very windy outside: there does tend to be some noise from crosswinds. The amount of buffetting in a high crosswind is noticeable (moreso than in our 99 Odyssey) but not bothersome in any way.
  • cb19cb19 Posts: 8
    I would like to find out your dealer info. How do I contact you offline?

my email is [email protected]
  • hookeyhookey Posts: 54
    've owned an SR5 4x4 (pretty much loaded) for about 6 weeks now. I have about 3,500 miles on it. I've posted many of my original impressions to this Board. As I get to know the vehicle better (and have the opportunity to drive in different conditions) I am noticing a few things that could be improved. I drove the truck in the second snow/ice storm of the season today (in Boston). It drives great in snow and ice. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, and would buy it again in a heartbeat, but the following could be improved:

1. The rear defroster is not powerful enough in a storm. The snow/ice melts around the lines in the glass, but not necessarily between the lines on the rear window. The rear windshield wiper freezes up and is of limited use in helping to clear the rear window.

2. The front windshield wipers also tend to accumulate ice. On my Grand Voyager the front windshield has electric heater strips in the glass below the wipers. This is useful in keeping the wipers from freezing and melting the snow and ice that is being wiped away so that no snow build-up occurs below the wipers. I am surprised that the Sequoia does not have a similar feature.

I have not noticed any appreciable amount of wind noise. I might have my air on "recirculate", I'll check.

A while back someone posted that they don't think the truck has a chime that goes on if you leave your headlights on. They are correct. Leaving your lights on does not result in a chime even when taking the key out. However, opening the driver door while the key is in the ignition results in a audible chime going off.

That's it for now.
  • I am sorry to be so scarce for ya'll... I am recovering from the horrible flu.

I read thru the posts that I missed, and wow, is there a lot of misinformation going to people via dealers trying to simply sell what they have vs. what you want!

Woohoo, I have a ton of Sequoias coming, and I am well off MSRP as you all well know. Order builds are slightly higher than regular off-the-lot stuff. But, that's typical. It's a lot more work for me to chase the process for 6 weeks.

Anyway, I'll try to answer just about every amiss-print and reqiuest of me that I see. For the record every Sequoia in SoCal gets "GY" except for a small handful of the strippie 7910's with a $33800 MSRP.

-Dianne
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    I sorry to hear about the poor milage, I thought the Seq was supposed to do much better. I guess I will stop complaining about my SUV getting 15 in town.

Look at it this way, if you can afford the Seq you can........
  • I've had a MDX on order since October. I'll probably be getting the call any day now. I've tested the MDX many times and thought it was the definite choice for me. However, I did considerable testing of several Sequoias last week. This big beauty won me over. I picked up my Sequoia today. I paid $39k for a Desert Sand SR5 with alloy pkg, conv pkg, moonroof, and electric seats. This was exactly what I wanted and Danny from Woburn Foreign Motors (eastern Mass) did a great job finding me this and getting it to me fast. I got a reasonable hassle free deal on my trade-in too.

I think it is much faster than the MDX on the highway (particularly for passing)... at least it feels this way to me. I'm not in any special need of the extra room and towing that the Seq provides over the MDX... I just think the Seq will be more comfortable on long drives. The seats on the MDX are flat... especially in the middle row. The 3rd row is torture for adults. Its nice knowing that the room and power will be there if I ever need it.

Too bad dealers hang out on this forum. The MDX forum didn't have any dealers throwing their spam around.

So far, I have no complaints on my purchase. I'm sure I'm *not* going to like feeding this thing but that goes with the territory of having a rig this big, I guess.

My 9 hour trip to New Jersey this weekend will be the sure test!
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Posts: 209
    One would tend to think that with VSC claiming that
    it reduces oversteer that likelyhood of rollover
    would decrease? Or are we only talking about
    VSC helping at the onset of over/under steer and
    if you make a violent turn at high speed you're gonna
    to roll no matter what.
  • I've tried 2-3 times to post messages and get bump off. I wished they would put the old site back.
    You are probably correct about VSC. I think Toyota is a bit nervous about making any claims about VSC in relation to rollovers but it seems pretty obvious to me. Rollovers frequently involve understeer. While inertia is pushing to forward and the truck is facing to the side, something has to give. This means skidding or a roll. With VSC, you end up rolling in the direction you are trying to go. Skidding is reduced and it would seem to follow that rollovers would be reduced.
  • I picked up my Seq SR5 last night. It was dark but noticed masking tape over where the fog light area is (the black cap on SR5). The dealer insisted that it came from the manufacturer this way. This all was discovered after I signed everything and gave the check, of course. I couldn't see any obvious problems around the tape that night given the lighting.

In the morning (with good light), I took a closer look and noticed about a millimeter of overspray over the rubber gasket where the bumper fenders meet. There was definitely a repair done in the corner of the fender under the fog light area. The painted area isn't as shiny as the rest of the bumper. You can feel the difference in smoothness too.

I told the dealer over the phone this afternoon that there is definitely evidence of a repair. He said that since they got the truck from another dealer they were not aware of the issue. He said he would call them and investigate. So far he hasn't returned my call yet tonight. This dealer is in Woburn, Massachusetts and they drove the Seq in from another dealer (within 36 miles of Woburn since that was the odometer reading). Any advice on how I can handle this? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks.
    I know you're not crazy about salesman participation here but allow me to see if I can help you out here. First, look at your window sticker. In the bottom, left corner will be the name of the dealership that the vehicle was originally shipped to. This will tell you if the dealer is lying about it coming from another store.

Next, if there was a repair, it might not need to be disclosed. There is a threshold for required disclose. I think it is something like 4% of the MSRP. Our rule of thumb has been anything over $700 gets disclosed. There are laws about this and if the dealership made repairs that exceeded the limit for disclosure, you need to get an attorney now.

Good luck and keep up posted. Oh and ease up on us sales folk. We're not here to hurt you.
  • Just got back from the dealership here in Raleigh, NC having ordered a 2WD SR5, pretty well loaded. Was able to get $1300 off MSRP. Very pleased since I have seen very few in my area (all of NC and so. a) that came with a "moon" roof -- why do they call it that? Should get delivery early next week.

My question is, how important to not drive > 55 mph for 1st 1K miles? I can do this, but want to take the baby away for New Year's Eve weekend.

AS, good luck to everyone else looking. Comments, both positive & negative here helped.
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Posts: 209
    Dealers in my area are putting leather seats in as a "port" option
    and they are not heated (options CC + LA10). The factory PM
    option "preferred package" in Toyota literature clearly states that
    the seats are "heated front captain chairs". I have had 4 different
    dealers say that PM package in SR5 are not heated. I don't believe
    them since they are pushing their CC+LA10 version.

Does anybody have a SR5 option plus PM leather that can settle the
    issue? Are they heated?

Jim
  • Thanks Cliffy1. I appreciate your comments. I'll work on my rotton-before-proven-good attitude about sales people (particularly on this board). My guess is that it was cheaper to do a quick patch job on a dent rather than replace the whole bumper molding and that this would fall under the $700 figure you mentioned. I'll post my follups with this issue.
  • Has anyone considered having a navigation system installed in their Seq? I'm looking at the Alpine systems. I'm curious if it can be installed to fit so that it looks like it is built into the dash (in the space of the radio).
  • stacystacy Posts: 91
    Please help! I have an infant and a 4 year old and have outgrown my '99 Lexus RX300. I need a bigger car. I want luxury,4wd,and nice ride. Yukon is bigger, more lux, but I'm worried about GMC and reliability. Sounds like Sequoia has a noisy interior (but it is a Toyota and probably reliable), and I like the 3rd seat split seat. I love my Lexus but the 470 is too small also. Any advice would be helpful.Thanks, stacy
  • clrttclrtt Posts: 2
    I'm also having great difficulty posting to this site. This will be my fourth try.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any experience plowing with a Sequoia??