Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
This topic is a continuation of Topic 3255....

Nissan Pathfinder Main Comment Area - VIII.
Please continue these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    So as long as we've started a new forum I'll jump in. Everytime we change over like this I get lots of mail looking for the info on how to save money by buying a Pathfinder in Canada and bringing it home to the US. So this time I'll put the info right here on top.

So why to do this? Save some big money! The exchange rate just keeps getting better for the US. Here's some rough numbers for prices in Canada (converted to US dollars, and including duty):
    - SE 4x4, 5spd, LSD, sunroof. $24,100. (US dealer invoice is $28,214)
    - SE AWD auto, LSD, sunroof. $25,400. (US dealer invoice is $29,339)
    - LE AWD, LSD, leather. $27,900. (US dealer invoice is $31,433)

Here's the answers to the most asked questions:
    - Yes, it's perfectly legal as a US resident to buy a new car in Canada.
    - Pathfinder meets all US safety and emissions requirements (California too).
    - You will have to pay some Canadian sales taxes, but they send you a refund after you take the vehicle out of the country.
    - The warranty is honored in the US.
    - It's identical to the US Path, but in Canada they come better equipped with options.
    - No two-wheel drive available in Canada.
    - Speedo is in km and miles; odo is in km, but can be changed if you prefer.
    - I have found some dealers willing to sell over the phone at close to invoice, far below list price.
    - Get your financing at home first.

Quick summary of the process:
    1. Call dealer and make a deal. Get VIN number.
    2. Call Nissan and get US emissions and safety compliance letter (will fax if in a hurry).
    3. Go to Canada, pay, drive away.
    4. Stop at Canadian customs. Get form stamped.
    5. Stop at US Customs. Show compliance letter. Pay 2.5% duty.
    6. Register vehicle and pay your state's sales tax when home just like normal.
    7. Get Canadian sales tax refund check in the mail.

I bought mine in Canada in September and I know of close to twenty more who have done it or are in the process. It's not difficult at all. Sure, there's a little paperwork to do. Many people are surprised how close to Canada they really are. Anyone from Chicago to D.C. is easily within a one days drive of Toronto. And much of the west coast is close to Vancouver.

There is a lot more info and success stories in the last forum. I'm glad to help anyone out with questions or good contacts. Just email me.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Had the opportunity to ride in a new Jeep Cherokee this weekend. Wow what a poorly put together vehicle. Rattles, road roar (when it could be heard above the engine roar), and even full time AC (air blowing in through the door panels and around the window seals) in 32 degree weather were the highlight of my trip. Another pleasing affirmation of the PF decision.
  • ickypicickypic Member Posts: 1
    So I have been to the previous web sights and I guess I should now ask my question.

Has anyone been able to locate the super bright headlights that come on some of the European model vehicles??? They really are an asset to night driving and they are not as disturbing to oncoming traffic. I have seen these light on such models as the Lincoln Mark series and the Audi series vehicles. I have also seen some of the imitations on American models too. The look almost blue.
    I am hoping to obtain a pair of these for my 2001 PF. ============================================

On the windchill factor question. I am no expert but I believe the wind chill calculations are based on what the temperature feels to the human body based on the amount moisture that gets to the skin. The windchill factor applies only to humans and not machine parts or having an affect on machine parts.
  • dlehrman1dlehrman1 Member Posts: 2
    MP superone in S Florida;
    thanks, I thought so too.
    E-mail me jihca@ msn.com and I'll be gald to help;
    Dan Lehrman, LCSW
    (SocialWorker).

(We will arrange a conference call; that way, there will be no (oh, we don't do that anymore
    type of conversations, etc.) dan
  • dlehrman1dlehrman1 Member Posts: 2
    Going on 300 miles with the 2wd LE; tight!
    no (thank god ) problems thus far; my wife noticed
    the littler "play" in the transmission lever. This was noted as "normal" in previous posts here, so that was good info to have.

I look forward to hearing more on the "lights" here; I remembered reading too, re: "airshocks"
    in rear as a means to make the rear a tad more
    "carlike" in ride, esp. for rear passengers; will explore this in future.

The prev message re comparing this vehicle to the
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, is SO true. The PathFinder
    wins, tires down. We have one, we know. Not to mention, the rather pathetic way we feel we have been treated by the factory when our engine mounts started going out every 24 to 30,ooo miles
    (my problem, not theres).
  • mjowmjow Member Posts: 7
    After MUCH looking and research we purchased a new black 2001 Pathfinder LE w/leather,tow package, mats, sunroof deflector, body side moldings and microfilter - drive off the lot for 28,100 plus tax, tag, title - roughly $1133.00 below invoice. After searching the Atlanta market we felt this to be a fair deal.

The ONLY complaint so far would be the fit of the carpet in the drivers side floorboard. There is a left footrest in the carpet that does not seem to stay in place.

Also, is the LE supposed to have a power antenna?
    All the pictures show it in the down position - yet mine is fixed. What is normal?

Happy in Atlanta!

MJOW
  • funinthemudfuninthemud Member Posts: 6
    Hey Phil. Thanks for the info on 4wd options.
    mjow,
    None of the 2001 US Pathfinders have a power antenna. Only if you buy in Canada do you get one.
    -Jon
  • razor22razor22 Member Posts: 4
    Pathyenvy:

You mentioned Whistler in your post so I am assuming you are in Canada.

Contact your Nissan dealer. They should have be able to order a rack that will attach to your factory rack. Racks that are available are, Ski racks, Snow board racks, Sailboard/Kayak, Canoe, Sport box, Bicycle racks.

The rack attachments are made by a company in Canada. They will not sell to individuals, only the dealership.

They were very helpful in educating my local dealership in getting part numbers and also faxed two diagrams of some racks that I was looking at.

I have also bought a Cargo liner from my local dealership.

If you need any more info drop me a line.
  • mtt999mtt999 Member Posts: 15
    Which dealership in Atlanta were you able to get such a great deal below the invoice? Since I already have the 01 PF, I want to go there to check out the new Frontier.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    is a crock of s... invented for wussies. We never cared about such things back in Russia.
    mjow,
    Your LE must be a 2wd, right? Sound like a great deal.
  • pathyenvypathyenvy Member Posts: 7
    Razor22,
    I actually live near San Francisco, CA. I went up to Whistler as an add-on vacation to my trip to Canada to pick up my silver metallic 2001 Pathfinder LE. [You don't have to pick up the cars and come straight back, you know. =)] I asked the dealership (Richmond Nissan in Richmond, BC) about accessories and he said that they might not look exactly like the US accessories so I should buy them over here to avoid any surprises. *shrugs shoulders*
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    If anyone has bought a new 2001 Pathfinder/Xterra from the Carmax in White Marsh, MD....I would appreciate any feedback on what I can expect.

It looks like I'll be stopping there during the first week of January as they seem to have the best price on the 2001 LE Pathfinder I have been looking for.

Thanks for any info!
  • savage4savage4 Member Posts: 11
    Since noone has answered your question yet, I will take a stab at it.

There are a variety of headlights available that give off a white or blue looking light. The brightest of which (and most expensive) are true HID lights. There are conversion kits available that will change stock halogen lights into true HID lights. The ones I have seen cost $1000 to $1200. I do not know if they fit the PF.

The next option is to replace the stock halogen bulbs. There are a variety of bulbs on the market that will produce the white/blue light you mention. At the top end appear to be PIAA and Solaris bulbs. The PIAA bulbs produce a color temp of about 3800k and cost $60 to $70 per pair. The Solaris bulbs produce about 4300k and cost $70 to $80. The next step down would be to go with the GE, Philips, or Sylvania bulbs. They produce a color temp of about 3500k and cost $20 to $30. For comparison, the stock halogen bulbs produce about 3200k.
  • truckin5truckin5 Member Posts: 1
    I just put the PIAA's in my 01 Pathy. Definitely produce that xenon blue-ish color, and the visibility is improved, but not dramatically. I bought the stock wattage bulbs. Installation was a breeze (10 minutes per). Not sure if I'd recommend to everyone. If you're the type to be fairly anal about this stuff, then yes. Otherwise, spend your money to fill up that cool in-dash 6 disc CD changer.
    Home made Cd'd it may void the warranty on the 6 disc player. I speak from experience.
  • pathyenvypathyenvy Member Posts: 7
    No one has answered the question posed earlier about problems with the 6-disc changer. In the first day after I picked up my PF LE, the lights on the changer did not light up when I started the car. I cursed it, turned off the car and re-started and the lights came on. It played fine, but the lights going out didn't make me happy.
    Just had my changer replaced due to non factory cds getting stuck while on random play mode. Could you repost your question? I can't seem to remember it. May or may not be able to help.
    If you don't use random play, do the non factory cd's (CD-R's you burned at home I assume?) still get stuck?

I may have to go with a NAV. system on my PF now, which of course, would add the changer in the back rather than the 6 disc in-dash changer, since I burn alot of cd's at home.

Who knows, maybe they'll still jamm up with that changer also. Does anyone here have the NAV system? How do you like the changer in back, is it a BOSE changer? Any problems with CD-R's that you know of?
    Well I'm not going to test it out with the new CD changer as I was without one for almost a month the last time. It may have been a coincidence, but I had listened to the same Cds for at least 2 weeks on manual changing. The very day and trip I switched the changer to random it locked down. 4 of the Cds were home made and two were factory. I would like to blame it on my daughter's Brittany Spears Cd, but it was factory. I currently have the burnt Cds in my wife's Expedition 6 disc changer. It is one of those mounted in the center console. Requires each cd be loaded into a carrier tray. It has not locked down as yet.
  • philipc1philipc1 Member Posts: 10
    FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, I PURCHASED MY PATHFINDER IN MAY 00 AND HAVE BEEN USING CD'S MADE FROM MY PHILLIPS CD BURNER. NO PROBLEMS YET BUT I HAVE AND PROBABLY NEVER WILL AFTER READING THESE POSTS USE THE RANDOM PLAY.
  • mjowmjow Member Posts: 7
    The CD changer in the rear of the Pathfinders with Navigation is a Clarion - it is the factory match for the Bose system. My Infiniti has a changer in the trunk purchased from the Infiniti Dealership and installed by them - and it's a Clarion. Go to the lot and find a Pathfinder with Navigation - open the rear and look in the compartment on the right - the changer folds out. It's a great unit - NO PROBLEMS since 1997!
    Thanks! I will go Gwinett place Nissan this coming Saturday and hope I will get a good deal on the Frontier.
    Thanks for the info on the cd changer fellas. I may check out the PF with the Nav system (If I can find one) when I go do a test drive. I kinda wanted the Nav system anyway, but I also don't won't to pay that much for it. Guess it depends on what deal I can make when I start my search next month.

Again, thanks for the info.
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    In regards to #15 truckin5 what model PIAA's did you replace your stock headlights with. You mention you used the stock wattage. What is the stock wattage? Is there a higher wattage bulb available from PIAA. I know that PIAA has this 85 watts of light from a 55 watt bulb thing they always promote.
    I would like to know where do I find the PIAA bulbs for the headlight? Do I order off the internet or any auto-part stores would carry it? What is the recommended wattage? What could cause if one overwatt it?
  • SchwantjeSchwantje Member Posts: 3
    For whatever reason, Nissan doesn't sell seat covers for the Pathfinder. Does anyone have any ideas on where to purchase some decent ones online or at a B&M store?
  • baotoniebaotonie Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I have a fully loaded 01 4x2 LE Pathfinder I need to sell right away. Please contact me if anyone is interested. I live in Southern California (Orange county). Thanks.
  • zamphirzamphir Member Posts: 12
    Since hearing about sanandtons problems with the changer I've been leary about loading up my changer with CD-R's. I do however, load one up in the first slot and play that (with the rest of the slots empty). I'm guessing (based on info from sanandton) that the mechanism which switches the cd's around (Especialy on Random) may be affected by the slightly thicker size of a CD-R. So, I just pop one homemade CD in at a time and so far, no problems. I figure it's better to find out under warrenty what's going to happen than to wait for later. Has anyone called Clarion to inquire about the capabilities of the in-dash changer and if the rear cargo changer is different? Just a thought. Cheers.

Z
  • savage4savage4 Member Posts: 11
    You can find out everything you want to know about PIAA at there web site:
    http://piaa.com

You can do a PIAA dealer search in your area at
    http://piaa.idealerquik.com/custinfo.asp

A couple of places to buy PIAA on the web are:
    http://www.autobulbdepot.com/
    http://www.autosupermart.com/

I believe the PF uses H4 style bulbs in 55/60W. I would not "overwatt" on the vehicle. I would imagine the same thing would happen as if you put too big of a bulb in a lamp. The wiring and fixtures over heat and could fail or burn.
  • zamphirzamphir Member Posts: 12
    Before buying the PF I was considering buying the Mazda Tribute. Right before they were released I started hearing all these problems that were occuring but that is was "only on the sister model from Ford" (Ford Escape). Well, looking at some the posts on the Tribute/Escape board I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that I went with the PF. I actually stoped at a Nissan dealer on my way back from a Mazda dealer that was giving me the run around. One drive in the PF and I was hooked (more importantly, so was my wife).
    I wish all the Trib owners luck, but their problems make our "issues" pale in comparison. Cheers.

Z
  • brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    Actually, the head units in PFs, Maximas, etc. are Clarions with Bose technology, so the changers are going to be Clarion units as well.
  • draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    I have my PF since the beginning of April (an '01 LE) and have had CDRs in it (heck most of my cds are cdrs) and have no problems with it. I have used it on random for just the one cd as well as for the all 6 cds, still no problem.

I have used the cds from the burner at work (HP 9100 series) and from home (Sony). Occasionally one won't play and I just toss it. I think you just got a bad changer. Good luck with the new one.
    Mark
  • bosjoebosjoe Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been getting lousy mileage..

I Picked up my SE4x4 auto last week and all I am getting his 15mpg and this is mostly all highway driving except when I get off the highway for 3 miles... I been doing 55-75 for an average..
    I was getting more 17-18 with my 94 Pathy. driving the same route.. or is it just breaking in and will it get better...

Stats on Pathfinder
    Cherry Red all options except leather including tow hitch..(No Nav or Entertainment) Leasing this baby for $329 with $2000 down. 3 year 45000 miles I think I got a good deal.. I have had it was a week..and it rides great..Whats the deal on a $30,000+ truck and no 10 cent cigarette lighter. sheesh.. :)

No problems with the cd-changer either on my cdr's.. Temp monitor is seems accurate when the car is moving.. and No SHIMMY's..

Joe
  • lopro1lopro1 Member Posts: 13
    Why don't they put the changer under the front passenger seat? I find that much more convient than the cargo bay.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    If FORD is involved (particularly on the drivetrain), I stay away ...
  • thekozman1thekozman1 Member Posts: 10
    We have a 01 4x4 SE , Leather, Video ent sys, LSD and a few other options. I noted around 14-16 miles/gallon durring the first 1k miles. I now have 1500 on it and the last tank I measured was over 17m/g. This was cruising hwy around 85 mph. I am fairly happy with that. I imagine if I take the speed down to around 65-75 it should get a little better mileage. I also did an oil change at 1K, maybe that helped improve the mileage also.
    Some questions for those of you that have the Entertainment system:

1)What kind of inputs are on the monitor? I would like to add a portable DVD player of some type, instead of using the VCR that comes with it. Does anyone know if it has S-Video or RCA inputs that would allow this?

2) If I were to add a portable DVD player, would I get sound coming thru on the Bose speaker system like I would with using the existing VCR?

Thanks in advance!
  • calnan1calnan1 Member Posts: 1
    1500 miles on my ‘01 PF LE and I love it! A huge improvement from my previous truck, a 99 Blazer that was a complete disaster. The fit and finish of the PF, and especially the engine, is so much better than that of other trucks in its class. One question for anyone with the leather package: There seems to be a ½ inch gap between the seat back and seat cushion of my front passenger seat, so that if you put something small on the seat, it will slide back through onto the floor in front of the back seat. The seats are power, and I noticed that the passenger seat bottom only adjusts front and back, not up and down like the driver.

Has anyone else noticed this gap and is there any way to fix it? Thanks in advance for any reply.
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    I recently saw a vehicle where someone had put the "blue" bulbs (say that 10 times fast) in their headlamps but still had the standard bulbs in the fogs. IMHO, it looked like a half completed job. Am I off base on this? Have any of you, that have changed bulbs, also changed the fog light bulbs? What did you use?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I also have the seat gap on my passenger seat. I noticed it only after losing a couple pieces of mail that slid onto the rear seat floor tray. I think it's normal.

I have the PIAA super platinums (stock wattage) for my headlights and regular halogens for my fogs. I also noticed the difference (although it's not that bad). I decided to leave it alone for 2 reasons. 1. I rarely have both sets of lights on (I guess I'm one of those people that actually uses fog lights for fog):-) 2. Changing the fog lamp bulbs is a pain in the @&! from what I've heard from other posts (and seen in the manual) and I don't want to change them right now. I believe they're H3 bulbs which are available from PIAA, so you can change them if it's important to you.
  • ericnewcarericnewcar Member Posts: 8
    It's time to replace my 11 yrs old Acura. I am wondering if anyone can update me with your recent purchased price. The cardirect.com sells the PF w/navi for $100 over MSRP.
    I live in south NJ. Any suggestion regarding which dealer I should go first?
    Tks in advance.
    are you sure it is over MSRP? Not over invoice? If it is over MSRP, don't do it. You can get a much better deal on your own. Most are being bought around invoice slightly above or below.
    Wow all of you guys play home made Cd's without problems. I may get up the nerve to try it again. Sure do miss the personalized touch. Can those of you who play home mades in the 6 disc changer list the type of blank cds you use. Some of mine were Imation, others were TDK. Maybe there is one that would more closely mirror the size and thickness of a factory Cd.
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I too have been using homemade CDR's since April in my 01 LE PF with no problems. I now ONLY use the Maxell Gold CDR's. I have tried the TDK, Imation and have had problems with them. The worst ones are the Memorex! I use an HP burner.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    My player is about half full of home-mades at any given time and I've never had an issue. I have heard it said that 80 min discs may cause problems, so I have stayed away from them.

I mix and match brands as they go on sale. I do have to admit I'm anal when I'm burning.
    I copy all the .aif files to a special partition, run Norton DD on it, and then Speed Disk (optimize/defragment) the partition and files for CD ROM mastering. I works great, even on my wife's VERY picky Kenwood player.

13,000+ plus miles
    Ave 17.75 mpg w/5spd
    lovin' every mile
  • alexandria2alexandria2 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if Pathfinder is due for a makeover any time soon?

Thanks for your help.
  • wvilcawvilca Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a Factory Service Manual to do some repairs to my 97 Path...
    Need to repair the sunroof.
  • bob_xubob_xu Member Posts: 3
    First time refill my SE4x4. It is 230 miles total on the vehicle and I have to fill the tank with 16 galon gas. If I assume that the dealer filled my tank at 11 miles(when I bought it), it averages out a little less than 14mpg. I am quite sure they filled the tank with regular gas though.