Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I agree that this is a great roof top carrier - It takes no space when not in use but holds 13 cubic feet when needed. Beats the rigid cargo boxes for occasional users of rooftop carriers. Mine is always in the "truck" ready for use when needed ...
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    I'm looking at the following:

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD (Sierra Silver)

Floor Mats
    In-Cabin Microfilter
    Tow Hitch III
    Body Color Side Moldings
    Sunroof Wind Deflector
    Nissan Mobile Entertainment System
    Leather Package

Only option not on it: Limited Slip

Out the door price of $32046 including fees ($48)
    Not including Tax-Title-Lisc.

What do you all think? Looks like I'm paying about $800 under invoice
    After talking with the salesman again on the phone I found out that a couple of the options I listed above are not on this particular Pathfinder: (Tow Hitch & Microfilter)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD (Sierra Silver)

Floor Mats
    Body Color Side Moldings
    Sunroof Wind Deflector
    Nissan Mobile Entertainment System
    Leather Package

Only options not on it: Limited Slip, Tow Hitch, Microfilter

Out the door price of $32013
    Not including Tax-Title-Lisc.

Now it looks like I'm paying about $400 or so under invoice.
    If you purchase a Pathfinder without the In-Cabin Microfilter, is it possible to add one after purchase?

I thought I remember reading that you would have to cut out an opening somewhere in the dash to install one if you didn't originally get the MF when you ordered it? This may be on an Xterra, I can't remember, can anyone confirm?

Thanks
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    mailbox! I go outta town for one week and wack, we have a nice little dent in the front right quarter panel. At least it didn't break the paint. Oh well, it is still a great vehicle, just has more character now.
    Ruski, saw your hidden response about wind chill and I'd have to agree with you. It is a media buzz word that creates more interest in the weather portion of the news.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Looks like a good deal to me. You will rest easy at night, especially after driving the PF for a while. Each day it proves it was worth every dime. A rarity in Autos nowadays.
  • zekeclzekecl Member Posts: 3
    How many people here got the NAV system for their 2001 Pathfinder?
  • katherinemkatherinem Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1997 pf with 37,000 miles. The condumer reports says it has average reliability for that year. Anyone have one they are happy or unhappy with. Any comments. Should I buy it?????
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    Katherinem,

I have 1999 Pathfinder which is excatly the same as the '97. It's been 35,000 miles and it's great. As far as I know, 1997 is the second year of the new design so some of the existed bugs probably already got worked out. If the price is right, and with only 37,000 miles on it, it shouldn't give you any problems.

Good luck
    Finally I put on the side mouldings for my 99 SE. They look great, give the truck a perception of being longer. The process was not that difficult, about 30 min or less. As Phil47 mentioned earlier, the tricky part was the measuring tape. If you lined it up straight, your moulding will look like dealer installed :). Unfortunately, mine is about 98% straight :(.
    If you're considering adding this, I recomment shopping around. I got mine at nissanpartsusa.com and the price is pretty high. I found out later that at nissan-accessories.com it's much cheaper but they only listed 2000-2001 model. I think 96-2001 has the same doors and body panels so I'm not sure why different models were listed.

I'm taking it to Tahoe snow next week and have some fun...yeahhhhh

Wish I have a digi camera...ohh well.. that's for x-mas.. take care everyone
  • lzzzlzzz Member Posts: 4
    The navigation system in the PF is great because it gives a bird eye view. You could also zoom in for a closer view. I think Nissan has one of the best Navigation system out there. The only downfall is that you have to update the cd every 6 months with all the road changes. Also, there are some mistakes in the system. I would only get the Nav. system if I am a frequent traveler. Other than that, I wouldn't spend that extra $1,200.
  • shaka62shaka62 Member Posts: 9
    I'd like to get the wood trim piece for the passenger a/c vent on the le. Do you have a good phone number for autostock? Thanks.
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    duper-I'm also adding the side mouldings for my 01 LE. I bought mine at nissanpartsusa about 2.5 weeks ago (still waiting though). Just for the fun of it, I checked the prices on nissan-accessories and they were more expensive, $2.51 each to be exact (you have to buy 2 of them-left and right). That goes for all the other accessories. Granted I was comparing the 2001 models. Right now, nissan-accessories has free shipping (UPS ground), so that could make up the difference. You're right about shopping around though. Btw, how long did you have to wait for yours to arrive? I think 2.5 weeks is an extremely long time for any shipment. Guess I'll e-mail them tomorrow.

Have fun on your Tahoe trip. Let us know how the PF does.
    It took 2 weeks+1 day for the part to arrive at the...wrong address. It got delivered to my old house even though I repeatedly (twice) told the guy taking order via the phone of my new address. When found out it was the wrong house via tracking number (they never send you a tracking number, you have to email then and ask), I called UPS and they said Nissanpartusa has to issue a re-direction in order for the to retrieve it ( it could take up to 2 weeks). I ended up jumping the fences to pick it up in front of the door at the old house (no one was home, they seem to out of town for the weekend or something).

One advice though, do not peel the red cover tape on the back of the moulding all the way out. Just pull out enough (3+ inches or so) to have to initial stick and slowly pull the tape out and align the moulding. Make sure it's straight before press on it because once it has pressure it sticks like hair on crazy glue.

Goodluck and keep us update on it.

Have fun
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    Send George an email at autostock@home.com . George also emailed me a "map" of all the parts/kits that were available for my `01. I ended up getting pieces for around the interior door handles and for the overhead console. They look great and hard to distinguish from OEM. I think I started all of this with AutoStock back in September and George told me he had no problem with me giving him a plug in this forum so hopefully he's still as accommodating
  • mek7mek7 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer was going to take too long to bleed the brakes so I just went with the oil change. Maybe when I can drop it off I will have them bled. I wasn't going to sit there for 3 hours.

I was prepared to pay for the oil change but the service guy comped it "since it was my first time in the service department". Not bad.
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    thekozman1
    I have a '99 SE which did not come with the hook for the car seat. I had to buy and install it myself. At some point, they became required and so is now included with yours.

katherinem,
    I have a friend at work with a '97 PF. She has about 55K miles on it and has not had a problem with it as far as I know (or at least was worth telling me about).

-Dan
  • slauroslauro Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1997 LE - burned through tires at 21,000 miles. Vehicle is otherwise great. I'm in a dispute with Nissan about what I feel (and others on this board) is premature wear due to the front-end (struts...) Other than the posts here and NHTSA sites, anyone having any additional info to support the idea of the vehicle being responsible as opposed to just the tires? If anyone has a copy of the "Plastics and Rubber" magazine article that supposedly made mention of this issue, please let me know. Any and all help appreciated. This is my 2nd PF and I've raved about both of them. But if Nissan won't admit there is something amiss here, I may need to revisit my feelings about Nissan cust. svc and products... Thanks in advance.
  • nano317nano317 Member Posts: 7
    I also hav CD-Rs in my changer, so far no problems yet. I've noticed that the people who uses the Shuffle function (which in mix the songs in different CDs) have that problem. I think, from my opinion, it's the changer that's over working then it goes bad. so I would stay away from the shuffle function. Anyone else got another opinion?

Crikey: Yeah, I got a lot of modify civic and other cars that makes on sense. blue blinker, clear lenses, big exhaust( and I mean big). I guess the cops will leave me alone for my headlights. Well I guess I'll have to wait for the 4runner vs pathfinder discussion group to come back on.
    Love my PF, just got my first oil change. It's been great so far. Just went skiing this past weekend, kind of want to drive the PF up to the ski slopes like the commerical. then I decided not to. Hahahaha

Enjoy your PF guys.
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    I have a 2000 4WD LE that just isn't what I wanted in an SUV :( I want to either sell it or trade it in and checked kbb.com which gave a $25K price for trade and $32K for retail! I can't believe it's that high (I paid $28.8 a year ago). I'm just curious to see what people are paying for used 2000's. If I can even get the $25K I'll trade it in tomorrow :) Any info would be great - thanks.
  • zamphirzamphir Member Posts: 12
    I've been thinking about adding a few lights to my 2001 SE PF. I don't want to put headlights on but would like to add some "area" lights that would help out in situations like camping. Anyone have any experience adding more lights? Are there any issues and/or pitfalls I should know about (max voltage/wattage, wiring issues, warranty voiding etc...). Any help would be appriciated. Cheers.

Z
  • ubrsfubrsf Member Posts: 51
    Pardon me, but don't most owners of 96 and 97 PF have more than 30,000 miles on their trucks? if so then haven't they already changed their tires? like in my case. I had to change them at 37,000 miles. This bulletin doesn't make sense!
  • tomtwomeytomtwomey Member Posts: 3
    Just can't get over how current the responses are on this bulletin board!

For the person looking to buy a 97 Pathfinder, I wanted to let her know that they are a very good value compared to other SUVs in that class/year. I bought my 97 XE 4wd in mid 98 with about 20K miles on it for just under 20K. It hasn't had any major problems now with 45K miles. The only thing I've had a problem with is a sticky accelerator and a noise in the exhaust which started recently (maybe cracked). I still have to check it out. Maybe others reading this have had similar problems...that's actually why I checked out the site. I've read about these problems on other sites and heard varying results/solutions. I can't get a straight answer on the phone from the dealer which is 100 miles away. Anyway I'm going to make another phone call after doing some investigating.

I live in 4wd country so the PF has been the perfect vehicle for me and my lifestyle. With the updates to the 2001 Pathfinder, you should be able to make a great deal on the '97 as demand should be down.
  • tomtwomeytomtwomey Member Posts: 3
    Date of the article was 1997.
  • zekeclzekecl Member Posts: 3
    Anyone fitted their 2001 PF with more aggressive tires (bigger)? I'm not talking 33 inchers, but slightly larger than stock? How do they look? Is the ABS still working?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I traded my 99.5 LE (loaded) in for a 2001 LE. I was very pleasantly surprised by the value I got for my 99.5. I paid $40k CAD (including tax), put around 12,000 miles on it, and traded it in for $32k CAD. I could have got around $35k for it selling it myself, but it would have worked out the same after tax on the new vehicle. This means this truck retained 87% of its value after more than a year! Evidentally my truck lasted one day on the lot, and there was a bidding war for it. People like the new body style and the fact it uses regular unleaded (vs premium in my 2001). I think you'll do quite well on your sale.
    Many thanks! I wondered why the resale was so high, I guess that does make some sense about the regular gas :) I also don't have very many miles on it, so I'm sure that's why I got a high number back from kbb.com. I only rated it "good" - it's really close to excellent since it has no scratches or dents and the inside is pristine. Let's just hope the Lexus dealers are as impressed by it as the Nissan dealer you traded with ;)
    Thanks again!
    You're not thinking of buying an RX300 are you?? Peaches5, how can you do this...why not the QX4? Don't jump...we can work this out!
    What brand/model of tires come on the 2001 LE AWD model?

I'm overseas and I can't find out this info anywhere. I'd like to look up information on them so I know how they rate, etc.

Many thanks for any help.
    ...on mine. Exact same tire as on my 99.5.
    Thanks for your very quick reply!
    Another tire question, sorry...

Does anyone happen to know the series of the Duelers?

Dueler HTS
    Dueler H/L
    Dueler H/P
    Dueler H/T
    Dueler A/T
    Dueler M/T
    phil47: No, no, no! Too small :) I want the LX470. I was going to get the Land Cruiser, but then rode in a friend's LX. Because the 1999's don't have the VSC, they're selling used ones around here for about $45K. Of course, I could always use the money for my kid's college tuition.......nah ;) I may end up with the LC anyway, but I'm TRYING to find a way to get the LX :))

mbunting: From what I remember, the tires you end up with (at least on the 2000's) were regional and depending on the dealer. I have Toyo's on my 2000 LE.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 1
    Back in 1997 I traded my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee in for a shiny new 1997 Pathfinder SE. I have not encountered any major problems with my PF except for a sticky accelerator which I had Nissan perform what they call a fuel induction service that fixed the problem. Maybe I don't have many problems that are supposed to affect the 97 models because mine was made in May of '97. I'm very happy with my Pathfinder and I don't have any regrets about trading my JGC in for one.
  • ds532ds532 Member Posts: 5
    Hey zekecl (post 131): I put new P255/70R16 Michelin LTX mud and snow tires on my 01 Pathfinder, and what a noticable improvement in driving and handling on snowy and icy roads! The original P255/65R16 Bridgestones were just to weak for slick roads (don't know why). Anyway, P255/70R16 will fit just fine...if you want bigger tires, I don't know if P265/70R16 size will fit, but I wouldn't go any bigger than P255/70R16 (remember, the clearance on the new Pathfinder has been lowered). The ABS functions normally as before.
  • pat01pat01 Member Posts: 23
    Regarding the later (after-the-factory) installation of the Microfilter to the 2001 model, as far as I understand (from my service guy), the filter is located deep behind the passenger dash. It may be highly likely that if this is not factory installed, the service site may need to be awfully invasive to clear this compartmental space to install it. I'd check with a local service center rep if you are strongly considering this route.

Has anyone ever tried to change their own Microfilter on the 2001 AWD PF?
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    The Bridgestones are the HT series. PFs also come with Dunlop Granteks and Toyo tires.
    I have the Bridgestones, and have found them to have excellent road manners thus far. I don't do much off roading and snow is only 3-4 times a year here. They are very quiet on the interstate, and handle very well.
    I won't recap the entire drive, but had to reach a destination in a hurry by driving through the foothills of a local mountain range not long ago. The PF handled in a sports car like manner, and the tires provided me plenty of control. I think they are a good combo.
  • scraffscraff Member Posts: 5
    Someone please tell me they think this is a good deal. About to purchase tomorrow. I'm pretty sure its a sweet deal, but I'd love some support on this. Thanks!

LE AWD - Bronzed Gray

floor mats
    body side molding
    microfilter
    limited slip
    splash guards

before tax, tags, and destination charge ($520?)

$30, 990.
  • mcc32mcc32 Member Posts: 4
    What are the implications of using non-premium (middle grade or reg.)gas in my '01 LE?? Is it just a gas milage issue or is there something more sinister involved?
  • draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    I remember somebody posting about installing the microfilter themselves.

It involved them removing the glove box, cutting heavy cardboard like substance cutout for the mf (I believe he said it is marked where is should be cut) and then replacing the glove box.

It was also recommended to use a very sharp utility knife (ie. one with a new blade) to keep the cut clean.

For me, it would be a pain in the %$# if I had to take the glove box off and replace it every six months to replace the filter. Also, the filter is probalby $15 apiece as well. Just my $.2.
  • slauroslauro Member Posts: 5
    sorry about the confusion with the 1997 article. In my case I bought a 97 leftover new in mid-98 and only put 20,000 miles on it (rotated religiously) & need to replace tires. So that kinda got my adrenaline goin to "discuss" with Nissan consumer affairs & this board. But I do think overall it is still a great vehicle... Good luck all.
    In addition to increased gas mileage (and lower HP), you're engine will be running slightly richer to compensate. This eventually leads to fouling (plugs, O2 sensors, etc.). For short term emergencies, don't worry about it, but you shouldn't be using it regularly.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    scraff,
    $31,510 seems to be a good deal for an LE AWD. Just about at invoice. Probably the only way to go much lower is to go to Canada to buy. Would save close to $3500 off that price. See my other posts above (#1 for example) for more info. Or email me.

Love that bronzed gray too.
    -Jon
  • lopro1lopro1 Member Posts: 13
    Should I buy new rear shocks, or air springs? Help. I have a 98 QX4, and would like to take up to the moutains w/friends in tow.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Drove the PF all weekend exclusively. I must say that the brakes react better after the dealership bled the brakes last time it was looked at. It is a heavy vehicle, but not heavier than the next SUV. It does not stop on a dime like my Acura 1.6EL does, but I think this is inherent in vehicles of this nature.

Recommend having the dealership bleed the brakes and never try to brake late.
  • ubrsfubrsf Member Posts: 51
    I had the same sticky gas pedal, and all that Nissan did was cleaned out the deposits from the throtle chamber for free. Now I don't know what "Fuel induction service" is? but i hope you didn't get ripped off. Sounds to me like the mechanic did a different service, still cleaned out your throtle chamber and then charged you for fuel induction service. Cause i have had several friends with the same sticky gas pedal, and they all got their throtles chamber cleaned. Hopefully i'm wrong!
  • scraffscraff Member Posts: 5
    Jon,

You think I should try to work them to under invoice? Is it even possible? Out the door, tax, tags, and dest charge I come up with $33,215. I'm ready to go tomorrow, just making sure all my ducks are in a row. Thanks!
  • kevin91kevin91 Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody out there have installed a Remote-Start for PF AW 01' ? I would like to hear your opinion. Is it voided manufacture warranty even if I have it installed from Nissan dealer. I would appriciate if somebody give me some suggestions. Thanks
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Are you sure about using regular even occasionally? I remember reading a much earlier post where the poster stated that after putting in regular, he had heard pinging from the engine "for a while" and then it stopped. You do know that the pinging is detonation in the engine? Which means that the computer could do nothing to retard the timing and the result is engine damage. Now before every yells at me about this, this damage may not be readily apparent. I am also anal about my engines and vehicles because I keep them for long periods of time.

Please re-read the manual about gasoline grade usage. If I wrong, no harm no foul.

YMMV
    ... it's OK to use it occasionally, just not regularly. I used it once just to feel the difference. Although the truck felt a little more sluggish, it certainly wasn't pinging. I do know that sometimes it takes the PCM a little while to "readjust" the combustion parameters to the new fuel. Maybe this is what happened...