Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• ddusseault2001ddusseault2001 Member Posts: 2
    :D Thanks so much! I'll check it out today. I had no idea where to look, so thanks again.
    Dina
  • lorddrago1lorddrago1 Member Posts: 19
    O.K this is the 2nd starter. But this time the starter kicks but wont turn over. Good relays. Got power going to it and good grounds. Anyone got any advice?
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Bad ground.
    ground checks out good!
    I found it. Pos cable to starter was corroded all the way thru. Thanks for the help guys. strange it show 12.6v until I tried to start it.
  • ryan99ryan99 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks Dancerman, you always give me a well thought answer. I did mean compressor and I wonder about the connections to it and don't trust this dealer because they seem to try to gouge me..( 200 dollar quote for a leaky valve cover gasket that they noticed while doing the compressor.) after I retourqed the bolts it was fine and hasn't seaped at all...I don't think I would try this repair myself after yesterday when I decided to add a can of refrigerant mixed with a sealer/ oil...I had a malfunctioning guage to check the A/C with ( cheapo from the parts store thats a few years old) Like a dope I over charged the system and on the way to work heard a shuttering/ banging noise coming from pass side when I turned on the cool air...then there was smoke...I popped the hood and there was freon blowing out of somewhere...couldn't see where. I let some freon out of the low pressure side, turned her back on and the noise was gone at least...funny thing is the AC has been blowing Ice cold all day long! I don't know if it will last but I have had to add 2 cans of freon over the last 5 years...maybe a very slow leak? Is there a pressure relief valve for dopes that over fill the system? Thanks again, Ryan
  • rodeoboyrodeoboy Member Posts: 8
    A Cherokee is a fine vehicle. The 2000 one of the best years. You sound like a former Mercedes driver. Mercedes does not a Cherokee make. Do you like the cup holder?
  • imijjimiimijjimi Member Posts: 3
    nothing but a money pit minaswell by a harley
  • rogsmith9907rogsmith9907 Member Posts: 2
    I have a strange issue with a 1999 Cherokee I "inherited" from my son. When the engine is cold, it starts right away. If I drive it even a short distance, turn it off, the try to restart it, it is hard to start, and I have to actually depress the gas pedal before it will sputter to a start. No matter how far I drive, the temp gauge needle barely moves towards the middle of the gage, meaning it looks like the engine is still cold. Once started, the car runs fine. The car did sit for 4-6 weeks, but I put fresh gas in it. Any ideas?
    I'd make sure it has a good tuneup with new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, air filter, pcv etc. When replacing these parts, looks for signs of any problems like running rich or lean. If you have a check engine light then have the codes read and go from there. On a fuel injected engine, depressing the accelerator pedal opens the throttle plate adding more air to the engine. If it starts by doing this then your air filter may be very dirty or your MAF may be not reading correctly. If your engine doesn't run at the correct temperature (and the guage is correct) then perhaps the thermostat is missing or stuck open.
  • rogsmith9907rogsmith9907 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, dancerman. I am having a mechanic I have lots of confidence in lined up for Saturday. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.
  • kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    1998 Cherokee with 197,000 miles. This weekend it started clattering. Sounds like somewhere in the engine. First thought it was valves tapping, but pulling plug wires one by one did nothing. Mechanic thinks it is probably flywheel. Occured to me that the starter may be getting hung up. ....any ideas?
  • altroutaltrout Member Posts: 1
    very annoying squeak in steering column.Is something broken or is it just a nuisance?
  • karpindurkarpindur Member Posts: 11
    I also have a 2001 with cracking paint. Right now it is only cracking on the hood, and I assumed it was from the high heat of the engine. We live in southeast Georgia on the coast, and it gets very hot here. The cracks are very small and I found them washing the car also. They are scattered and not localized to any area on the hood. The largest are about 1/4" long, and do not appear to extend past the top coat(s) to base metal...Yet. So no apparent rust at this time. Very disappointing and would like to know what you find out. I love the Jeep and will post anything I discover about the failure here. Thanks
  • krfunkrfun Member Posts: 5
    When I activate the left turn signal on my 1999 cherokee the rear hazard lights blink instead of just the left turn signal. I have replaced the fuse with no success.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    have you changed any bulbs lateley?
    wrong bulb? holder not replaced right? or bad bulb (shorted in side )
    You will need a new turn signal switch assembly. This is a common problem.
  • wmartin08wmartin08 Member Posts: 1
    i have a major problem. i have a 1997 Cherokee SE that will just randomly died and didn't start again. i had it towed and fixed and they said the ASD Relay was stuck open. whatever that means. the next day the same exact thing happens. towed and "fixed" again. this time he said it was the same thing. Breaks down 2 days later. towed yet again and this time they said it was the wiring for the fuel pump. they put an in-line fuse in. the next day the same thing happens but i just had to replace the fuse. then tonight, like a week later, it dies again but the fuse isn't blown. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH MY CAR??!!
    ASD - Automatic Shutdown Relay controls power to the fuel system components including the fuel pump. Since you have twice blown fuses to the fuel pump, I think your fuel pump is drawing too much current and needs replaced.
    Thanks dancerman. I am going to order the switch.
    If its ok I would like to ask another question.
    The liftgate does not work. I took off the panel and found that the rod that goes from the handle to the latch is no longer connected to the handle. I cannot figure out how it connects. It is threaded.
    I looked at a part catalog and it shows a striker and a striker plate. Is this what is missing that connects the two?
    Thanks
    I got my switch at JeepsAreUs.com for under $50. Be care with the install as the plastic pieces surrounding the column are easily broken. As I recall, I had to maneuver the switch a bit to get it out and into position but it took me less than an hour to replace.

I don't have any experience with the liftgate. Maybe you'll get an answer soon from another owner.

You may get more liftgate info here.
    http://www.trademotion.com/
    There's an illustration of the liftgate assy with parts identified.
    They have good part prices, too. Including the turn sugnal switch.
    My Cherokee had 4,000 miles on it when I changed to synthetics. I researched the subject for awhile on the net and found several studies that surprised me. For example, one university would draw samples of a synthetic (Mobil One)from a test car every 1000 miles and analyze it. They found the synthetic in better condition at 9,000 miles then any fossil oil new off the shelf. I work with machinists, one of which has a drag racer. They all agree that synthetics are the way to go. You should look into it yourself, but I changed the tyranny, engine, differential and power steering pump to Mobil One synthetics and never looked back.
    Me Too...My AUX fan was doing the same thing, and I had a "mechanic" look at it. He took heavy gage speaker wire from the battery to hot wire the fan and it worked. The fan continued to work for about three days, then stopped again. I tried the speaker wire trick, but being an idiot, I cross-wired it and think it is now fried forever. Will be interested to see what you find out.
  • mt232mt232 Member Posts: 1
    How do I change the air filter? I do not see any clips or screws holding the cover on.......
    air filter box on drivers fender 4 clips to change
    air filter is not on top ov engine but in box on fender
  • willy9willy9 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed stock rails and rack on a newer jeep cherokee? What is involved? Does the head liner need to be removed? Do the connectors go in from the outside or the inside? My 2000 does not have a rack and I want to add one. How difficult is it?
  • walkerholliswalkerhollis Member Posts: 2
    96 Grand Cherokee, New fuel filter, No engine lights on.
    Under normal conditions Grand Cherokees usually have smooth,throaty sound while accelerating.
    My GC seems like it is gasping for air. It almost has the same acceleration and sound as when there is a cold start and the choke is on. However, it does not sputter, or stall. It almost sounds like it is not getting the proper amount of air. Instead of the smooth "tuned" sound ,the engine sounds like it is struggling with a loss of power.
    It is intermittent, and can start or clear up during the same drive around town.
    Any advice is appreciated.
  • walkerholliswalkerhollis Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. Just sold 94 that I had great luck with. If you have a problem, this model can be plugged into computer shop for diagnostics(I found this hard to believe). I had an issue with a speed sensor that otherwise would not be so easy to solve.

The radiators are known to rust out-if you live on the east coast. The symptom will be over heating in warmer weather or climate. Mine would overheat when I drove from VT to NJ. The weather in Jersey was 15 degrees warmer.

If you have a small oil drip,it is because one of the "main seals" is known to go bad. Maybe this was fixed by 96. I could usually stop mine with an additive.

And, make sure your mechanic(or you) does not overfill the transmission oil. You will know when it happens when it leaks out onto your exhaust.
  • timmer23timmer23 Member Posts: 24
    > i have a 1997 Cherokee SE that will just randomly died and didn't start again.

This happened with my '90 and '95 Cherokees. Both times replacing the crankshaft position sensor fixed the problem.
  • timmer23timmer23 Member Posts: 24
    Replacing the serpentine belt on my '91 Cherokee was fairly easy because I followed the directions in the Haynes manual. I've found several directions online that gives the same routine. However, my 2000 Cherokee has a different layout. I don't see the belt tensioner adjustment bolt underneath the power steering pump. Could someone explain to me how to replace the serpentine belt on my 2000 Cherokee? I6 with AC. Oh yeah, perhaps it is pertinent to add that this is a right-hand drive model.
  • bebop30bebop30 Member Posts: 1
    Joined the forum today to find the answer to a question. I am getting ready to replace the rear speakers in my 1999 Cherokee Sport. The problem is I can't tell which color is positive and which is negative.

Here are the options:

Driver's side: Brown with 2 blue stripes vs. brown with two yellow stripes

Passenger's side: Blue with two orange stripes vs. blue with two white stripes

If anyone can tell me which is positive on both sides that would be great. I have searched the internet high and low but haven't found a wiring diagram. I was hoping not to have to go buy a Chilton's manual to figure this out.

Thanks,
    Keith
    has auto tensioner on left side facing engine use 1/2 inch braker bar to releave tension be care full not to try to turn to far will ruin spring inside (no bolts to remove or loosen unless replacing tensioner assembly)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's another set of links to search through:

Online Repair Manuals

Maybe the Crutchfield or InstallDr ones will have some hints for you.
    Here's what Haynes says:

Left Rr: + BR/YL , - BR/LB
    Right Rr: + DB/WT, - DB/OR

This is for 1997 and up.
    I replaced the turn signal switch today and oiled the door hinges. I come our later and the interior lights are on in the jeep. All doors seem to close tight but lights stay on. Any suggestions.
    I had the same problem and also took it to Best Buy. I had purchased the speakers (Kenwood separates) there, they installed them, and they were still under warranty. I had them replace the front speakers as both had started to malfunction. They were Infinity Kappas that I installed and the woofers failed at separate times. When they pulled out the drivers side Kenwood, the crossover was full of water! This was even after it had not rained here for several days. They dried it out, wrapped it in plastic, checked the whole system, adjusted the Amp, and did a great job. The thing sounds great now. They also told me this is a common problem with all cars. The Tech put in at least two hours on it and did not charge me dime.
    Look around on the net and you can find all kinds of studies regarding synthetics. Every one I looked showed that other then Amesoil products, Mobile One was the best performing for the price. Mobile proved better at 9,000 miles then new off the shelf conventional oils in one study. It was surprising to see some other name brands score so poorly. I switched my '01 Cherokee to Mobile One 10-30 in the oil, and Mobile One in the tranny, differential and power steering pump. It now has 130,000 and still runs like the day I bought it. We will see how long that lasts, but so far, so good.
  • blkhwkblkhwk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 89 cherokee 4.0
    It runs fine when I start it and drive for a while, But then it starts back firing and hesitating while accelerating. I Have changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor and tried messing with the throttle position sensor but have the same problem. If anyone knows the prob please let me know or if you know a technician can you please ask them for Me the mechanics around where i live wont help they just want money.
  • roscoe40roscoe40 Member Posts: 2
    hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and a new Jeep owner as well.
    I bought my 00' Cherokee Sport about 6 weeks ago, early August with 115k on it. This thing runs sweet,I - love - this - thing! lots of power and purrs like a kitten in vetro. I dont know why I haven't bought one sooner, can't wait for it to snow here in NE Pa., thats why I got it. The thing is I've noticed that when I start it on my way to work in the morning, the oil pressure is at 40, I drive seven miles one way to work, all highway till I get to the resort where I work and by now the oil pressure is down to 20. As I slow down for the guard at the gate it drops to about 5 and then 'click' to zero and the red 'check engine' light comes on. As long as the engine is warm or hot all day as I drive around the pressure stays at about 20, light comes on when I stop. I have driven it on a 200 mile trip like this and never once experienced anything that would indicate no oil flow to the rocker arms such as tapping or noise. Could this be a faulty sensor or sending unit with the fluctuation the way it is? After all, the first couple miles of the day it reads normal. It becomes unnerving after awhile. Thanks for any input you guys.
    pressure sending unit is cheep try this first look by oil filter
  • jiipedjiiped Member Posts: 2
    My converter had been rattling, and I was about to replace it when lucky me I received a recall notice fronm Jeep saying that they would fix the problem. I thought great, a free converter.

Took my Cherokee in for service, got it back, now it runs like CRAP !!! It has low performance, not peppy at all like before their fix, harder to start, and shudders to a stop after you turn the key off.
    I called my dealer the same day I got home with it.

Come to find out, the fix involves changing the PCM, (powertrain control module) computer codes. They won't put it back like it was, I even offered to pay them, they say once they fix a recall problem, they can'y put it back like before. Now I'm stuck with a jeep that I have trouble even gettting up to speed going up a highway ramp. Now that my air - fuel ratios are messed-up, I'll have to live with it or pay for a pcm computer with the old codes.

I should have just bought a converter myself and had it put in at a muffler shop that wouldn't screw with the computer codes. I suggest you do the same, unless you want lack-luster performance from your Jeep

Anyone know how to restore my old codes, or have had similar problem, please post.
  • jiipedjiiped Member Posts: 2
    Don't do it !!! Don't let the dealer touch it.

They will change the computer codes to new emmision standards and rob all that nice peppy power cherokees are known for, at least the 4.0 's
    Sorry that you went through this, and thanks much for the heads up on that recall! If I hear how to restore that 4.0 I will let you know ASAP. Thanks again for the post.
  • biobrattebiobratte Member Posts: 1
    So I've seen this on SO many threads and wanted to know what the heck is wrong with Jeeps in general? Now don't get me wrong...they are built like tanks to take a beating, but their beating comes from within!

Here are my details:

Bought 2000 Jeep Cherokee in 2005. 71K miles.
    Within the past two years...I've replaced: battery, transmission, oil pump (twice), bearings, rods, evap system, sway bars, bar links, bushings, and still burns through a ton of coolant. It ticks, smells burnt.

My mechanic says it needs a new engine. My warranty of course is fighting it. Is there any recourse for this???

Why am I losing antifreeze? No leaks, pressure tested.

Thanks for any help regarding this trouble.
  • jimbo01jimbo01 Member Posts: 3
    So what ended up fixing your problem with A/C system?
  • jesawyer1jesawyer1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used '96 Cherokee. I have the same exact problem! Did you solve yours? Thanks for any help.
  • roscoe40roscoe40 Member Posts: 2
    Not yet, new pressure sensor cost 58 bucks, just had lower radiator hose blow. Gas milage is killin' me @ 3 bucks a gallon. Garage mechanic that owns a 96 also says that it could be just a sensor gone bad. I'm wondering if the 'check gauges' light comming on tells the computer to give me crappy gas milage !?! you know, that"limp mode" business? I'll get back to you when I do change it, next payday maybe, my health and car insurance is over half my salary. Hard to catch up with a daughter and wife both going to college.
    It's possible for an internal crack to leak coolant only when the engine is hot due to thermal expansion. If there are no signs of coolant in the oil or on the floor then it seems that it must be getting into a cylinder and expelled with the combustion gases. Your mechanic should examine the exhaust system and pull the spark plugs looking for signs of excess moisture.
  • mmelkimmelki Member Posts: 4
    I have a completely stock Jeep Cherokee 2000, no lift, no big tires, ALL STOCK. I just changed the track bar, steering stabilizer shock, drivers front U-joint and drivers front ball joints(upper and lower) and a steering alignment. I have "death wobble". What I want to know is why my Jeep makes a clunking sound when I turn at slower speeds, 1mph-25mph. It loves to make the noise when sharper turns are made. What could it be? Also noted I experienced a "death wobble" one week ago and it shook my steering wheel crooked, which is now fixed. Since then my 4 wheel drive light doesn't turn on anymore but the 4 wheel drive low and high both work properly. I don't care about the "death wobble" anymore, I just want to elimate the sound that it is making when I turn so that I can trade in my Jeep and return the favor to the dealership. Thank you in advance. If you would like you can email me akamikemelkiyahoo.com
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Member Posts: 23
    I was looking at aftermarket air intakes for an '01 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0L I6. Anyone had any luck? I have been browsing and have actually discovered some people losing horspower with air intakes and exhausts. I'm just looking for a little horsepower gain and a good sound :). Thanks