Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 BMW X1 Lease Questions

Comments

• sk12sk12 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to everyone here. The dealer has now managed to locate the "right" page and honored the 68% residual. They claim they were looking at the Jan page.
  • sk12sk12 Member Posts: 14
    Also - any advice on if its better to roll in the one-offs (acq, tags, doc fees) into cap cost or pay them upfront? If I roll it into the lease will the state tax (my state will tax 10% of both dep + interest) apply to the one offs - if thats the case seems like better to pay up front.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    sk12 said:

Also - any advice on if its better to roll in the one-offs (acq, tags, doc fees) into cap cost or pay them upfront? If I roll it into the lease will the state tax (my state will tax 10% of both dep + interest) apply to the one offs - if thats the case seems like better to pay up front.

It's better to pay those items up front, as you've noted, so that tax isn't applied.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xoeastxoeast Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2015
    Can someone weigh in on this for me? Dealer in Northern California has 2 cars I'm interested in.

Option A: a 2015 sDrive. MSRP is $32,825. It was a demo, so they're offering it for $28,900, full warranty and service with it. If I put down $2,100 in MSDs, MF is 0.00101 , 36 months at 12K per year, 67% residual, so it looks like a killer deal.

Option B: a 2015 xDrive28i MSRP is $41,050. It was also a demo so they're offering it for $37,500. If I put down $3,510 in MSDs, MF is 0.00101, 36 months at 12K per year, 67% residual.

But for option A they're saying the monthly payment pre-tax is $268, and I'm getting $243, and option B they're saying $394 pre-tax and I calculate $343. When I questioned them on it, they said its because I am not factoring depreciation for miles. Car A has about 5,300 miles on it so they're depreciating it by $960, and Car B has about 9,700 miles on it so they're depreciating it by $1,850.

My trouble is I don't understand how to evaluate these deals with the depreciation factored in.

Anyone have experience with this or thoughts on these offers?
    I just realized what this means --They're saying it's a 67% residual BEFORE they depreciate the residual for existing miles. So my "67%" residual on option A is actually a residual of 64%, and my "67%" residual on option B is actually 62%. I don't like that they weren't more up front with me about the "true" residual when quoting these cars for me.

So my questions is, is this fair? Or can I reasonably ask them stick to the original residual, despite the car already being significantly discounted?

Thanks!
    xoeast said:

I just realized what this means --They're saying it's a 67% residual BEFORE they depreciate the residual for existing miles. So my "67%" residual on option A is actually a residual of 64%, and my "67%" residual on option B is actually 62%. I don't like that they weren't more up front with me about the "true" residual when quoting these cars for me.

So my questions is, is this fair? Or can I reasonably ask them stick to the original residual, despite the car already being significantly discounted?

Thanks!

Those extra miles do affect the residual that the dealer has to use.

The only question I have is on the MSD - the base MF is .00130 and BMW security deposits reduce the MF by .00007 each. I sense that the dealer is inflating the base MF to .00150 before applying the MSDs.

Are you making the maximum 7 MSDs for these deals? If so, the net MF would be .00081, not .00101.

Still, both are pretty decent deals. But, I'd ask if they would reduce the base MF to .00130.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• bmwcarguybmwcarguy Member Posts: 5
    Hi Guys I just signed and took possession of the following:

2015 BMW x1 2.8i
    ultimate package
    lighting package
    sport package
    silver with red leather

36 month lease
    15k miles per year

420 a month with MA tax included

First payment of 420 was total out of pocket

I was able to get the mf down lower than the .00130 to .0011

bmwcarguy said:

Hi Guys I just signed and took possession of the following:

2015 BMW x1 2.8i
    ultimate package
    lighting package
    sport package
    silver with red leather

36 month lease
    15k miles per year

420 a month with MA tax included

First payment of 420 was total out of pocket

I was able to get the mf down lower than the .00130 to .0011

I'm curious ... did you use MSD to lower the MF? I'm not aware of any other way to go below the buy rate of .00130.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• bmwcarguybmwcarguy Member Posts: 5
    I was told the dealer I went to had a program in place with local corporations allowing for the lower mf. I work one of those larger corporations that they partnered with and was given 20% off the mf.

Additionally, I was told because I took an "in stock vehicle" they were able to discount it more and I suppose it also helped that we got buried with over 4' of snow the past month and no one was out buying cars.
  • Patelshivam94Patelshivam94 Member Posts: 61
    Can i get the MF and Residual please for:

2014 X1 xDrive 28i 36 Months / 15k miles per year.
    2015 X1 xDrive 28i 36 Months / 15k miles per year.

Thanks, in advance.
    bmwcarguy said:

I was told the dealer I went to had a program in place with local corporations allowing for the lower mf. I work one of those larger corporations that they partnered with and was given 20% off the mf.

Additionally, I was told because I took an "in stock vehicle" they were able to discount it more and I suppose it also helped that we got buried with over 4' of snow the past month and no one was out buying cars.

I learned something new today -- thanks for sharing.

And, I can completely understand the need for the dealer to have one less vehicle on the lot that needs snow cleared off of it.

Enjoy your new BMW!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Can i get the MF and Residual please for:

2014 X1 xDrive 28i 36 Months / 15k miles per year.
    2015 X1 xDrive 28i 36 Months / 15k miles per year.

Thanks, in advance.

2014 - no lease numbers exist

2015 - .00130 and 65% for 36/15

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:
    I just realized what this means --They're saying it's a 67% residual BEFORE they depreciate the residual for existing miles. So my "67%" residual on option A is actually a residual of 64%, and my "67%" residual on option B is actually 62%. I don't like that they weren't more up front with me about the "true" residual when quoting these cars for me. So my questions is, is this fair? Or can I reasonably ask them stick to the original residual, despite the car already being significantly discounted? Thanks!
    Those extra miles do affect the residual that the dealer has to use. The only question I have is on the MSD - the base MF is .00130 and BMW security deposits reduce the MF by .00007 each. I sense that the dealer is inflating the base MF to .00150 before applying the MSDs. Are you making the maximum 7 MSDs for these deals? If so, the net MF would be .00081, not .00101. Still, both are pretty decent deals. But, I'd ask if they would reduce the base MF to .00130.

Michaell said:
    I just realized what this means --They're saying it's a 67% residual BEFORE they depreciate the residual for existing miles. So my "67%" residual on option A is actually a residual of 64%, and my "67%" residual on option B is actually 62%. I don't like that they weren't more up front with me about the "true" residual when quoting these cars for me. So my questions is, is this fair? Or can I reasonably ask them stick to the original residual, despite the car already being significantly discounted? Thanks!
    Those extra miles do affect the residual that the dealer has to use. The only question I have is on the MSD - the base MF is .00130 and BMW security deposits reduce the MF by .00007 each. I sense that the dealer is inflating the base MF to .00150 before applying the MSDs. Are you making the maximum 7 MSDs for these deals? If so, the net MF would be .00081, not .00101. Still, both are pretty decent deals. But, I'd ask if they would reduce the base MF to .00130.
    Thanks Michael. You're right, they are marking up the MF before applying MSDs. They weren't willing to bring the MF back to base before applying the MSDs but I negotiated the price down to $28,150 on the sDrive with 6 SDs down (I can't figure out why they won't let me do the max SDs and get it down further, but we're talking a difference of about $135 over the course of the next 3 years so I'm gonna let it go), and a monthly payment of about $270 including our local (9%!) sales tax. So the final deal is:

MSRP $32,825
    Purchase price $28,150
    Residual 67% less $960 depreciation (64% effective residual)
    Terms 36 months/12K per year
    MF 0.00101 after 6 security deposits 
    Base payment $248.04 plus tax 

I think it looks pretty good, so I'll probably go do paperwork this weekend. 

Thanks again for the feedback. 
    xoeast said:

Michaell said:

xoeast said:

Thanks!

The only question I have is on the MSD - the base MF is .00130 and BMW security deposits reduce the MF by .00007 each. I sense that the dealer is inflating the base MF to .00150 before applying the MSDs.

Are you making the maximum 7 MSDs for these deals? If so, the net MF would be .00081, not .00101.

Still, both are pretty decent deals. But, I'd ask if they would reduce the base MF to .00130.

Michaell said:

Thanks!

Thanks Michael. You're right, they are marking up the MF before applying MSDs. They weren't willing to bring the MF back to base before applying the MSDs but I negotiated the price down to $28,150 on the sDrive with 6 SDs down (I can't figure out why they won't let me do the max SDs and get it down further, but we're talking a difference of about $135 over the course of the next 3 years so I'm gonna let it go), and a monthly payment of about $270 including our local (9%!) sales tax. So the final deal is:

MSRP $32,825
    Purchase price $28,150
    Residual 67% less $960 depreciation (64% effective residual)
    Terms 36 months/12K per year
    MF 0.00101 after 6 security deposits 
    Base payment $248.04 plus tax 

I think it looks pretty good, so I'll probably go do paperwork this weekend. 

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Congratulations - that is an excellent deal. Enjoy the new BMW!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• gopackgo413gopackgo413 Member Posts: 20
    Any crystal ball on what the lease deals will look like next month?  I have an offer for an X1 x28 msrp $38275 with a selling price of $32900.  It is a demo with 2,500 miles.  The MF is marked up to .0017 and the dealer was unwilling to move on it.  Monthly payment with only first payment, plates and fees is $369 for 10k miles. The dealer would not tell me the rv used and would not provide the other figures used to get to the payment.  Is this a good deal or is it not possible to say without the other numbers?

Thanks, Nick

Any crystal ball on what the lease deals will look like next month?  I have an offer for an X1 x28 msrp $38275 with a selling price of $32900.  It is a demo with 2,500 miles.  The MF is marked up to .0017 and the dealer was unwilling to move on it.  Monthly payment with only first payment, plates and fees is $369 for 10k miles. The dealer would not tell me the rv used and would not provide the other figures used to get to the payment.  Is this a good deal or is it not possible to say without the other numbers?

Thanks, Nick

$369/mo for a car that originally stickered at over $38K is pretty decent deal.

No idea what will happen to the numbers next month ... I suspect the MF will stay the same or only move slightly. It's the residual that can fluctuate from one month to the next, especially on the SAV's (X1, X3, X5)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Thanks, Nick

I'm surprised a dealer would tell you the marked-up money factor (where he might have competition), but wouldn't disclose the residual value, which is the same, everywhere..

It can't be a bad deal at those numbers, but if you want to bargain, you really need to know the selling price, CAP cost and the actual residual, so you can check the numbers... Of course, the money factor is marked up, and that alone is adding $30/mo.+ to the deal.

If you are going to make a deal, I'd try to do it before next month (which starts Tuesday). The residuals offered on the X1 aren't likely to hold up, long term.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• glitchyglitchy Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    With expiration of March residuals, please let me know if i got a good deal on either of below - took a lot of fighting :) I locked down version A, but was 99% close to getting version B.

Version A: x28
    msrp: 43,600
    cap: 40,200
    lease: 36mo/10K (68% res, .00130mf)
    $2,975 upfront for taxes, fees, including first month
    $385/mo after that

Version B: x35
    msrp: 48,925
    cap: 44,950
    $3,600 up front including first month
    $420/mo after that

Any hint on what rates are going to be tomorrow (March 3rd?)
    glitchy said:

With expiration of March residuals, please let me know if i got a good deal on either of below - took a lot of fighting :) I locked down version A, but was 99% close to getting version B.

Version A: x28
    msrp: 43,600
    cap: 40,200
    $2,975 upfront for taxes, fees, including first month
    $385/mo after that

Version B: x35
    msrp: 48,925
    cap: 44,950
    $3,600 up front including first month
    $420/mo after that

Any hint on what rates are going to be tomorrow (March 3rd?)

I think money factor will be about the same, but residuals will be lower... just guessing..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• glitchyglitchy Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    kyfdx said:

I think money factor will be about the same, but residuals will be lower... just guessing..

Thanks - thats what i am expecting as well - i ended up putting down a deposit on A above. Do numbers above make sense? This was in north NJ earlier today.
    glitchy said:

kyfdx said:

Thanks - thats what i am expecting as well - i ended up putting down a deposit on A above. Do numbers above make sense? This was in north NJ earlier today.

Yes.. my calculations are within $1/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tomaxtomax Member Posts: 37
    Do you have residuals on the X1 x28 36 month lease with 12K and 15K? Are the x35 the same?

Thanks!
    tomax said:

Do you have residuals on the X1 x28 36 month lease with 12K and 15K? Are the x35 the same?

Thanks!

.00129 and 63% for 36/15 for all X1's. Add 2% for 12K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• juleswinnfieldjuleswinnfield Member Posts: 11
    Hello. Can you provide the current MF and residual for a 2015 X1 sDrive28i? Also, are there any incentives this month? Thank you so much.

Hello. Can you provide the current MF and residual for a 2015 X1 sDrive28i? Also, are there any incentives this month? Thank you so much.

.00129 and 63% for 36/15 for all X1's. Add 2% for 12K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thanks, would it be 67% for 36/10k?

Thanks, would it be 67% for 36/10k?

66%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks again. Another question, if I were to order one from my local BMW dealership, I assume that would I lock in all the terms at current rates. What happens when the car is actually ready in 6-8 weeks and there is a new incentive (such as loyalty), would I be able to get that upon delivery?

Thanks again. Another question, if I were to order one from my local BMW dealership, I assume that would I lock in all the terms at current rates. What happens when the car is actually ready in 6-8 weeks and there is a new incentive (such as loyalty), would I be able to get that upon delivery?

If you ordered this month, you can lock in the program through the end of May. You should be able to take advantage of the May program, if you take delivery in May, but you have to use it, in its entirety. If you use a special incentive from that month, then you also have to use that month's lease numbers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nettegonzonettegonzo Member Posts: 9
    Hello. This would be my first lease and I was hoping to see if this is a good offer:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    adj res: $22,733
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    MF : .00169
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

I don't really know what the MF means ( I will be doing research ) but I thought I would throw this in here. Thanks for any help, or direction for this.

Hello. This would be my first lease and I was hoping to see if this is a good offer:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

I don't really know what the MF means ( I will be doing research ) but I thought I would throw this in here. Thanks for any help, or direction for this.

Not a good deal .. MF is marked up (base MF is .00129) and $3500 is too much up front cash.

What is the selling price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited March 2015
    Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

Not a good deal .. MF is marked up (base MF is .00129) and $3500 is too much up front cash.

The selling price is $33,200. So I can ask for a lower MF? I'm not sure what I can negotiate for a lease so I asked that the starting point be from the selling price. Thank you for the help.

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

The selling price is $33,200. So I can ask for a lower MF? I'm not sure what I can negotiate for a lease so I asked that the starting point be from the selling price. Thank you for the help.
    Politely but firmly explain to the dealer that you won't sign a deal with a MF that is marked up.

Yes, you negotiate the selling price on a lease just like you would for a purchase ... for BMW, shoot for 4-6% off MSRP before any incentives.

Using your MSRP and selling price, along with the base MF and residual of 66%, I get a $0 down pre-tax payment of $362.89.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

Politely but firmly explain to the dealer that you won't sign a deal with a MF that is marked up.

Yes, you negotiate the selling price on a lease just like you would for a purchase ... for BMW, shoot for 4-6% off MSRP before any incentives.

Using your MSRP and selling price, along with the base MF and residual of 66%, I get a $0 down pre-tax payment of $362.89.
    Thank you for the advice! I'll be meeting with him later today.

So without a down payment, the payments were still as low as $368.89? And this is why you never buy on the first visit to the dealership :)

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

Also, where are you basing the MF? Is it the same nationwide? I'm just waiting for him to say that it is different in every region or something.

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

Also, where are you basing the MF? Is it the same nationwide? I'm just waiting for him to say that it is different in every region or something.
    The MF is nationwide for BMW - dealers love to give you a song and dance as to why they have to mark it up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

The MF is nationwide for BMW - dealers love to give you a song and dance as to why they have to mark it up.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

So he was able to drop the MSRP ($34,195) a bit. The MF would now be .00149, $3500 down, and $350/month. And then throw in some all weather floor mats. I don't ask for much.

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

So he was able to drop the MSRP ($34,195) a bit. The MF would now be .00149, $3500 down, and $350/month. And then throw in some all weather floor mats. I don't ask for much.
    Don't you mean the selling price was dropped? MSRP is the window sticker.

You might want to contact a second BMW dealer and see if they will offer you a deal that uses the base MF of .00129

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

You might want to contact a second BMW dealer and see if they will offer you a deal that uses the base MF of .00129
    I don't know how he dropped the MSRP number and he did drop the selling price too. The car was the same just different color interior. I'll put a call in to another dealership today. As you can tell I'm not so good at hardball. lol.

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

I don't know how he dropped the MSRP number and he did drop the selling price too. The car was the same just different color interior. I'll put a call in to another dealership today. As you can tell I'm not so good at hardball. lol.
    Just be polite and keep asking questions .. eventually the truth will come out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

:) Thanks for the pep talk. Will keep trying. Last day of the month and all.
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

My guy is not budging. lol. If need be I can walk away from the deal. I don't know if it's the color and that they don't have it locally.

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

15XA X1 sDr28i
    Valencia Orange
    MSRP $34,445
    Residual 66%
    10k mi/yr
    36months
    $3,499.99 down
    $390 / month

My guy is not budging. lol. If need be I can walk away from the deal. I don't know if it's the color and that they don't have it locally.
    Lots of BMW dealers ... and, I've got the April numbers. MF of .00130 and residual for 36/10 stays the same at 66%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• lednameledname Member Posts: 96
    Is 12k residual 65%?
    ledname said:

Is 12k residual 65%?

Yes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• lednameledname Member Posts: 96
    By chance do you have the 30 month RV with 10k?
    ledname said:
    By chance do you have the 30 month RV with 10k?
    69%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• lll0228lll0228 Member Posts: 23
    Just told by a dealer that the Residual is at 66% for 10k per year and money factor is .00160 for a 36 months 10k lease. Is that accurate?
    lll0228 said:

Just told by a dealer that the Residual is at 66% for 10k per year and money factor is .00160 for a 36 months 10k lease. Is that accurate?

Base money factor is .00130. Residual is correct

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator