Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    rayainsw said:

The first Jag XEs have hit my local dealer.
    I took a few pictures this morning...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rayainsw/media/Jag XE/IMG_1932_zpsdg7mgez8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Looks kinda... blah.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

akangl....good to hear things are good. Glad you checked in.

Well, my son is helping me put mulch down yesterday and blurts out "VW called yesterday and said they just got in another GTI Track Pack, 6 speed car" (the unicorn set of options).

ME: Oh yeah? What color?
    Son: Black over plaid red/black.
    ME: Sounds nice.
    Son: Wanna go look at it? (which is really code for he might want to buy it given that's exactly how he wanted one equipped).

He showered up in the guest bathroom. I shower up in mine, and away we go. I had already done some reconnaissance previously on one he was looking at but was sold. While I can't prove it, I think VW has some dealer turnk money on all their vehicles. On the GTI, I believe it's $1,500 (interestingly, I heard from a reliable source there's $7,500 in trunk money on the Toureg).

So, thinking $1,250 back of invoice is doable given VW's current predicament. But,Son has a trade......his 2012 Fiesta, auto with 40K miles, no wrecks, drips nor errors. Add in a $100 detail and it's on the front lot. Probably needs brakes and tires in the next 5K-7k miles. Aside from that, it's passable as it sits.

Doing a little research, these are being advertised in the $10,500 to $12K range locally, but those all had at least 20K more miles on them. So, tires and brakes are offset by the low mileage. Figuring the dealers probably had $7K-$7.5K into those cars. Bet a dollar to a doughnut they cut them loose at $9K. So, now we have a trade figure.

Go to the dealer nearest us. We had visited here before. They didn't have what he wanted, and the sales person didn't know a GTI from a Beetle. Still, need some competitive info.

Sales: Good to see you came back.
    Son: Did you get in any more GTIs with track pack
    Sales: Let me check our inventory (we are led to the obligatory sales desk, which always takes too much time to get ANY information)

He searches and searches and says a competing dealer has one in black (we already know this). For $100, he'll go fetch it for us. Gee, how nice of him, given it's only 10 miles away.

ME: Before you do that, can you appraise the Fiesta, and where would you be price wise on the GTI? Sales guy says it would help to show we are serious if we put some earnest money down. I hate this tactic. I tell him we don't even know what anything costs yet, nor if he can get the car we want. NOPE...no earnest money. He accepts that fact and we (slowly) move on. This is like mollases dripping in January.

Now the used car manager is involved and the sales person tries to dazzle us by his knowledge of '60s-'70s era Beetles, some of it incorrect, none of it of any interest to us. And, the New Sales Manager is lookng for the car we know already exists 10 miles away.

Lots of waiting (for what, I'm not quite sure) until the Sales guy is summoned to the manager's office. A bit more waiting and he comes back with a sheet.

Bottom line, $6,700 for the trade, $1,000 off MSRP + $100 to go get the car.

I tell him we're way too far apart, and tell him he's $800 light on the trade. and about $1,400 light on the GTI.

He asks for us to wait for the obligatory sales manager's visit, which we do grudgingly. Finally out of a mysterious hallway pops the sales manager. Nice enough guy. I repeat myself (why? Did the sales person get my message wrong?).

Sales manager wants to grind it out. We've already spent too much time (over an hour and didn't even do a test drive). I thank both for their time and tell them it isn't going to work out. Both make an effort to keep us there, telling us they have more cars that aren't prepped in the back, maybe something we like from those, we can work the numbers, on and on.

I repeat the thanks and we scoot out of there.

(to be continued)......

The GTI has $1000 dealer cash on a purchase (if you finance).

Touareg has $7500, but only if you lease.
    Thanks, Walt. I thought my numbers were right.

@qbrozen...what's the story on the possible wastegate failure?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987

Well, my son is helping me put mulch down yesterday and blurts out "VW called yesterday and said they just got in another GTI Track Pack, 6 speed car" (the unicorn set of options).

Son: Wanna go look at it? (which is really code for he might want to buy it given that's exactly how he wanted one equipped).

He showered up in the guest bathroom. I shower up in mine, and away we go. I had already done some reconnaissance previously on one he was looking at but was sold. While I can't prove it, I think VW has some dealer turnk money on all their vehicles. On the GTI, I believe it's $1,500 (interestingly, I heard from a reliable source there's $7,500 in trunk money on the Toureg).

So, thinking $1,250 back of invoice is doable given VW's current predicament. But,Son has a trade......his 2012 Fiesta, auto with 40K miles, no wrecks, drips nor errors. Add in a $100 detail and it's on the front lot. Probably needs brakes and tires in the next 5K-7k miles. Aside from that, it's passable as it sits.

Doing a little research, these are being advertised in the $10,500 to $12K range locally, but those all had at least 20K more miles on them. So, tires and brakes are offset by the low mileage. Figuring the dealers probably had $7K-$7.5K into those cars. Bet a dollar to a doughnut they cut them loose at $9K. So, now we have a trade figure.

Go to the dealer nearest us. We had visited here before. They didn't have what he wanted, and the sales person didn't know a GTI from a Beetle. Still, need some competitive info.

Sales: Let me check our inventory (we are led to the obligatory sales desk, which always takes too much time to get ANY information)

He searches and searches and says a competing dealer has one in black (we already know this). For $100, he'll go fetch it for us. Gee, how nice of him, given it's only 10 miles away.

ME: Before you do that, can you appraise the Fiesta, and where would you be price wise on the GTI? Sales guy says it would help to show we are serious if we put some earnest money down. I hate this tactic. I tell him we don't even know what anything costs yet, nor if he can get the car we want. NOPE...no earnest money. He accepts that fact and we (slowly) move on. This is like mollases dripping in January.

Now the used car manager is involved and the sales person tries to dazzle us by his knowledge of '60s-'70s era Beetles, some of it incorrect, none of it of any interest to us. And, the New Sales Manager is lookng for the car we know already exists 10 miles away.

Lots of waiting (for what, I'm not quite sure) until the Sales guy is summoned to the manager's office. A bit more waiting and he comes back with a sheet.

I tell him we're way too far apart, and tell him he's $800 light on the trade. and about $1,400 light on the GTI.

He asks for us to wait for the obligatory sales manager's visit, which we do grudgingly. Finally out of a mysterious hallway pops the sales manager. Nice enough guy. I repeat myself (why? Did the sales person get my message wrong?).

Sales manager wants to grind it out. We've already spent too much time (over an hour and didn't even do a test drive). I thank both for their time and tell them it isn't going to work out. Both make an effort to keep us there, telling us they have more cars that aren't prepped in the back, maybe something we like from those, we can work the numbers, on and on.

(to be continued)......

What a hassle and takes away from the joy of getting a new car. Nothing comes easy or so it seems.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    A friend at work had her car stolen this weekend. She was already due for a replacement anyway, since her's was a 2009 G6 with over 140k on it, so well past life expectancy. haha.

anyway, I jumped straight to the Elantra. Checking out truecar, they are saying $5k off sticker on a 2016 SE with Group 2 package. Seems like a screaming deal, no? Wonder if any dealer would actually do that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    qbrozen said:

A friend at work had her car stolen this weekend. She was already due for a replacement anyway, since her's was a 2009 G6 with over 140k on it, so well past life expectancy. haha.

anyway, I jumped straight to the Elantra. Checking out truecar, they are saying $5k off sticker on a 2016 SE with Group 2 package. Seems like a screaming deal, no? Wonder if any dealer would actually do that.

Isn't that because it is the last of the old model? Or do I have my model years mixed up?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Isn't that because it is the last of the old model? Or do I have my model years mixed up?
    You are correct ... lots of 2017 Elantras on the lot now, so the '16's are being cut loose at fire sale prices.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    qbrozen said:

rayainsw said:

The first Jag XEs have hit my local dealer.
    I took a few pictures this morning...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rayainsw/media/Jag XE/IMG_1932_zpsdg7mgez8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Looks kinda... blah.
    I agree, it looks like a new Malibu and a Chrysler 200 had a baby. To me it doesn't evoke the classic styling of a Jaguar.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    akangl said:

Just poking my head in to see what trouble you guys are up to.
    Speaking of the rental car, we ended up with a 13 or 14 Sienna, that was an awesome vehicle to hang with for 12 days. So awesome that I may be picking up a used '13 Sienna this week.

Great to see you @akangl - we'll have you going full circle and back in the minivan crowd in no time. :)

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    "Touareg has $7500, but only if you lease"

Wow, wonder what the MF and residuals are. The latter can't be too great with a rebate like that.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Wow, wonder what the MF and residuals are. The latter can't be too great with a rebate like that.

Last I saw they were around 46% but the experts here can weigh in.

I love my Touareg, it's by far my favorite vehicle in the last 15 years. I'm leery of the quality and maintenance, but that's why I leased.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    edited May 2016
    GG, just curious. If you know the exact car you want is 10 miles away,may not go there? I always believed that a car and buyer and checkbook together, in the flesh, is the best and quickest way to get the best deal done.

Plus of course, you can actually drive it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jpp5862 said:

tjc78 said:

Last I saw they were around 46% but the experts here can weigh in.

I love my Touareg, it's by far my favorite vehicle in the last 15 years. I'm leery of the quality and maintenance, but that's why I leased.
    The May residual for the Touareg is 43% for 36 months, 15,000 miles per year

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    No wonder they have $7500 incentive. Ouch.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    So the question is (@qbrozen):  what are 2013 Touregs with 45K miles crossing the block at?  Is it equal to 43% minus $7500?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    well, if I just choose a 3.6L Sport 4wd model for instance, I see roughly $22.5k at the block, which means $21k-$21.5k trade and ~$26k retail.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

well, if I just choose a 3.6L Sport 4wd model for instance, I see roughly $22.5k at the block, which means $21k-$21.5k trade and ~$26k retail.

That seems to be in line with my lease, I have the Lux model and 36 months,15k/year. The buyout is $24k at the end of the lease. I'd buy it today but only with an extended warranty.
  • Options
    People who lease VWs seem to be extremely happy with them.  A vendor I deal with just left here.  He was telling us how he's just starting his 3rd CC lease.  Loves them.  His payments keep dropping every time too.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    After driving around a bit in 2 jettas today, they really do drive nice. Good steering, lots of grunt out of the little turbo engines. Nice seats too.

I sat in some Audis too. Now those, were really nice.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

People who lease VWs seem to be extremely happy with them.  A vendor I deal with just left here.  He was telling us how he's just starting his 3rd CC lease.  Loves them.  His payments keep dropping every time too.

The key is leasing. :) Between the Touraeg and the S60 I have the perfect set of daily drivers. I wouldn't own either of them without an extended warranty, but it's great to drive a vehicle just because you want to.
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I'm still on the fence about the Sienna. I'm losing a TON and I do mean a TON on the Explorer. Hard to decide if I want to take the hit or drive it in to the ground. I'm the most resistant in the family about trading it in, hubby and daughter are all for it. They keep pointing out how much better the van will be now and in the next few years. I keep pointing out that the Explorer has done nothing wrong and I'm taking a HUGE hit on it. Such a flip flop compared to the old days! I just hate buying cars, trading cars, its stressful and annoying!

On another note, we are having another garage built, our 3 car isn't big enough for all hubby's crap and 3 cars. The 1 car garage will clear out the crap, allow a 3rd car to go inside, and the truck to have a garage too. Hopefully that will keep the thieves from messing with our cars. New garage should be done in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    ' ..peak torque of 369 lb-ft between 1,520 and 4,500 rpm and generates maximum output of 335 hp at 5,500 rpm. '
    This I find odd & interesting:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/912928/2017-bmw-2-series-230i-m240i-get-new-engines/

M240i - hmmmm
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Ended up with a Samsung 40" LED for $230.00 plus tax. Wife looked up info about distances from the t v and our room is just too small for a 48" or 50", fine for the 40". She was against the "Smart" version saying it's just another thing to break and why would you want to use your computer on the bigger screen. Duh!!! I'm a guy and guys like doing that kind of [non-permissible content removed]. But to keep harmony and peace, I caved, got the 40" and with it being the last one available, I was super happy with the price. Price was $279 but if I would get a B B card, it would knock $40.00 off the price. Got the card but didn't have to use it which was great as I wanted it on another card for the points.
    Kid flies in Wednesday night and Thursday late morning he'll(we'll) get things moved and hooked up. No matter what, I'm thrilled as I got what I wanted...finally. Looking at the wall right now, the 48" would've been a bit much to be honest. Unfortunately, our family room is rectangularish, not squarish, which creates a seating issue and a viewing problem. For folks on the couch to see, the front chairs need to be configured a certain way. The larger sets just wouldn't work at the end of the day so we went just slightly smaller. Never realized how large the 48"-50" sets really are and it was a big wake up call in the store.
    Anyways, it's sitting in the front hall ready for the master to do his thing. And it's really a family gift since it's going in the family room for all to see. I am a happy camper tonight!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Walking over to my car this morning coming out of the Publix Supermarket, I looked at my very clean Golf and know I made the right choice on the rims back when I had to choose a month into ownership. When dirty, they look awful but when cleaned up and shiny, really makes the car pop! Haven't seen another like it out in the area so mines more like a one of a kind. I like that! Just glad the dealership didn't just throw the original rims back on it and say have a nice day! The right rims really make any vehicle look just so good. I am very very pleased!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

After driving around a bit in 2 jettas today, they really do drive nice. Good steering, lots of grunt out of the little turbo engines. Nice seats too.

I sat in some Audis too. Now those, were really nice.

I agree - I drove the daughter's Jetta Sport around a bit yesterday and found it to have a very comfortable, sharp ride.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    and the black inner parts of the rims, really hide the brake dust!

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited May 2016

(to be continued)......

If the abysmal service departments of my local VW dealers weren't enough to keep me away, the sales department of my local dealer put the final nail in the coffin. Back in 2007 I wanted to order a GTI to my specs and the imbeciles acted like ordering a car had the same difficulty level as trying to create a cold fusion reactor. I'm afraid VW is off my list permanently.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I was at the VW dealer today getting my Jetta serviced. while waiting outside to get paperwork, etc. was watching the cars come in and out. Some very nice Porsches mixed in with the V Dubs (they share the service building. Audi is in it's own building.

I suppose it doesn't mean that the same guys are working on both brands, but at least there is a chance something rubs off!

speaking of Audi, they just opened their big new building. A bit bigger and fancier than the old one, but hard to see it being really worth it. May have been more to get a dedicated service area.

• Options
    AK, the explorer is worth what it is worth, whether you keep it or sell it. So you "lost" the value already. trading it for a Sienna will not actually cause you to lost anything. You just have a Toyota depreciating going forward, instead of a Ford.

decision should really be about functional needs.

• Options
    rayainsw said:

' ..peak torque of 369 lb-ft between 1,520 and 4,500 rpm and generates maximum output of 335 hp at 5,500 rpm. '
    This I find odd & interesting:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/912928/2017-bmw-2-series-230i-m240i-get-new-engines/

M240i - hmmmm

Yep, the F22 is getting the BMW modular engines. All have the identical bore/stroke giving 500cc displacement per cylinder. The 230i gets the inline-4 B48 motor while the M240i gets the B58 inline-6. It's a very sophisticated engine that as yet has not exhibited any teething problems.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguy said:

That comment made me remember something I saw the other day at the CarMax lot.

Year or two old Focus ST .. not many miles (under 20K?), but horrible rust on every one of the discs - looked really shabby through the alloy wheels.

Is this common?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    it happens when they sit. especially if it is wet out. You can see it on brand new cars too. I hate that sound when you first drive and have to grind it off!

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

That comment made me remember something I saw the other day at the CarMax lot.

Year or two old Focus ST .. not many miles (under 20K?), but horrible rust on every one of the discs - looked really shabby through the alloy wheels.

Is this common?
    It is on the front rotors of many Harleys and metric cruisers; the riders won't use the front brake because they think it will "throw them over the bars."

• Options
    stickguy said:

it happens when they sit. especially if it is wet out. You can see it on brand new cars too. I hate that sound when you first drive and have to grind it off!

So a few days' use would remove the rust and you'd have nice shiny discs again?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

So a few days' use would remove the rust and you'd have nice shiny discs again?
    Not a few days. All it takes is one or two stops! That's just surface rust.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Nice.. and, now I'm jealous.

Which dealer?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Nice.. and, now I'm jealous.

Which dealer?

Walt...son purchased at Kings VW! Fairfield VW were the ones who were pretty miserable to work with.
  • Options
    @graphicguy - congrats to you & your son on the Punch!

Im curious as to what you guys thought about the WRX.

• Options
    Nice job, @graphicguy !

Funny how "all in" has a different definition to the dealer than it does to you.

Love that you stuck to your guns.

Hope your son has many happy years and miles with the new GTI.

And, like @kyfdx, I'm jealous as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited May 2016
    nyccarguy said:

@graphicguy - congrats to you & your son on the Punch!

Im curious as to what you guys thought about the WRX.

Bradd...I actually liked the WRX, too. But, it was...oh...I dunno....rough around the edges I guess is the best descriptor....especially compared to the GTI.

That didn't bother me as much as it did my son. I like a little "rough around the edges". But, he was right....hard plastics all around the interior. Paint was noticeably better on the GTI. It's a metallic black, that looks almost navy when the sun hits it. WRX certainly didn't have the "well put together" feel of the GTI. Ride was harsh in comparison, too. But, it was quick, and it stuck to the road.

I liked the Mazda 3 he was looking at. Matter of fact, it was a lot less expensive than the GTI. There's no denying the overall goodness of the GTI, though...especially for what it cost.

It's a "hoot" to drive.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    stickguy said:

speaking of Audi, they just opened their big new building. A bit bigger and fancier than the old one, but hard to see it being really worth it. May have been more to get a dedicated service area.

Last year the local Audi dealer made a big splash about opening their new building - their TV commercials even focused on it and how expensive it was to construct rather than anything else about buying an Audi, which I found strange. But their business has been good and they have a rep as being a take it or leave it kind of operation so perhaps that kind of attitude is not surprising. I saved these pics of it and found the metal exterior finish interesting. Found it odd that they had new tires stacked outside in the open.

• Options
    Michaell said:

Nice job, @graphicguy !

Funny how "all in" has a different definition to the dealer than it does to you.

Micheall...yeah, you're right. There always seems to be another "fee" right around the corner when doing new car deals. Tiresome, for certain. I get it. It costs something to process paperwork. But, $250 for 5 minutes of "pre-printing" some forms? As I understand it, it's worse in other parts of the country. Crazy.

What's next? "Turn on the lights" fee? "Using the Men's Room" fee?

All in means all in. I don't know how you can misconstrue that as "all in except for some other fees you may think of".
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987

Michaell said:

Nice job, @graphicguy !

Micheall...yeah, you're right. There always seems to be another "fee" right around the corner when doing new car deals. Tiresome, for certain. I get it. It costs something to process paperwork. But, $250 for 5 minutes of "pre-printing" some forms? As I understand it, it's worse in other parts of the country. Crazy.

What's next? "Turn on the lights" fee? "Using the Men's Room" fee?

All in means all in. I don't know how you can misconstrue that as "all in except for some other fees you may think of".
    Bravo on all counts! Congrats and enjoy! The GTI is a great car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited May 2016

Micheall...yeah, you're right. There always seems to be another "fee" right around the corner when doing new car deals. Tiresome, for certain. I get it. It costs something to process paperwork. But, $250 for 5 minutes of "pre-printing" some forms? As I understand it, it's worse in other parts of the country. Crazy

When I was buying the Cruze for Imid Jr, the salesman had all the answers: the fee is for storing the documents as required by law for 10 years as well as for processing them--in Ohio. I noticed the state legislature and governor had found time to change the ORC from the earlier wording that the fee allowed up to the $250 was for processing a "time payment." The dealer this time eliminated the $250 by lowering the price and upping the value of the trade-in on the next round. I hate the round-by-round system. I had two other cars at a nearby dealer but with slightly higher mileage. So I was gauging when I was fed up to leave and drive 15 minutes to the next dealer who had Cruze LT2's from lease/rental. But I really wanted their car because mileage was lower. My son was at work so he was the lucky one and didn't have to sit through these silly visits with the manager by the salesman. Just have the sales manager come to the cubicle and sit down and we'll get this over quicker.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    GG, I've heard nothing but great things about the GTi.  Your son made the right choice - of course with a little help and advice from his old man.  Enjoy!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Took the caddy to the dealer this morn. As I pulled up, an advisor comes over to the car and says "I guess that noise is why you are here." We both agree it sounds terrible.

I had arranged ahead of time to make sure they have a loaner for me, but when I got there, I asked they at least take a look first and determine the problem before I take their car and drive an hour to work. So they do and after about 30 mins, a woman comes to get me and take me into the shop. They wanted to show me what the deal was. Turns out a small crossbrace that attaches the left and right exhaust together just after the downpipes has broken off, including the weld, and exhaust is leaking right up under the car. It needs a whole new exhaust, and they can't find it anywhere. So we discuss for a couple of secs what we should do. They don't want me to take the car if I am not comfortable having potential exhaust coming into the cabin. I agree I will take a loaner, although I know it will probably be one I'm not happy with. I was right. I got a 2.0T ATS. I really wish I had asked if they had anything else.

On the plus side, it has Carplay and I averaged over 33 mpg on the way to work (95% highway), but on the downside, it rides terrible in comparison to my CTS (little bumps I never feel in mine jar the entire structure of the ATS), lets in far more road noise, is cramped, and the seat is not as comfortable. I'm sure it is a nice little car taken by itself, it is no CTS, though.

Anyway, she told me it will be 2 days before they even know when they can get an exhaust. Yikes.

• Options
    Doc Fees - the dealer closest to my house in Stamford, CT had a cheaper selling price than the dealer I ended up buying my Legacy from (Rye, NY about 20 minutes South).  Once you added Stamford's "conveyance fee" to the equation, their price was $100 more.  They didn't want to get rid of their conveyance fee.  They didn't wantvto knock another $100 off the price.  I ended up buying & servicing in Rye, NY.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

On the plus side, it has Carplay and I averaged over 33 mpg on the way to work (95% highway), but on the downside, it rides terrible in comparison to my CTS (little bumps I never feel in mine jar the entire structure of the ATS), lets in far more road noise, is cramped, and the seat is not as comfortable. I'm sure it is a nice little car taken by itself, it is no CTS, though.

Well, I love mine because it feels so connected to the road. And the exhaust hasn't fallen off it either. ;)

• Options
    I don't mean to beat up your car. To be fair, I took a look at the tire pressures and they have the rears up to 39psi. I do like how sharply it turns in, feels planted, and I can feel the weight savings compared to mine. I'm really curious how it would do with better non-runflats. I would guess it could make a huge improvement. It just isn't as luxurious feeling as the CTS, nor should it be.

• Options