Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• Options
    kh4kh4 Member Posts: 2
    Just got done chatting with gm customer service they will give you a free hour of diagnostic test at your local dealership. As we know it doesn't take that long. But of course they will charge after the hour and then the repair costs. I find this strange, but when I called to make an appointment for the recall for the key ring issue this model has, the service personnel said oh yes that and another issue, when I asked "the other issue" he stated and I quote "not real sure what it means but our mechanics what it is" . I believe they know what the problem is, they are just waiting for people to call
  • Options
    kh4kh4 Member Posts: 2
    If you have an O'Reilly's around you, they will do a free diagnostic
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    kh4 said:

If you have an O'Reilly's around you, they will do a free diagnostic

No they won't. They will pull codes, that is NOT a diagnostic. Trouble codes don't tell anyone what is wrong, they only tell which test that the computer ran has failed. Pattern failures do occur, but there is never a guarantee that any individual occurrence of a given code is related to any given pattern.
  • Options
    ajaywillajaywill Member Posts: 3
    I received a letter from Chevrolet dated April 2015 stating that the issue may be due to a broken solder connection within the Accelerator Position Pedal (APP) sensor. The letter indicates that you may take your vehicle to a dealer and if this is the issue, they will repair it at no charge. If you have already paid for repairs, Chevrolet will reimburse you. I am in the process of submitting a claim for reimbursement of the approx $500 worth of repairs this cost. A step in the right direction, I suppose. I am very curious why this did not happen sooner as this seems to have been an ongoing issue with Chevrolet and GM vehicles for several years
  • Options
    cwn175cwn175 Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 Impala quit on me while driving 70mph on a busy interstate during the morning rush yesterda. I had my 3 and 5 year old kids in the back. It was a miracle that we weren't in a wreck. I was able to coast and cross 3 lanes of traffic without power steering.

I got the messages "reduced engine power" "service stabilitrack" and "service traction control." Then suddenly the car quit and I got the message "starting service disabled"(I think thats what it said I was in a near panic).

I called Customer Service and spoke to Sabina. She told me that GM knows about the issue and so graciously gave me an extended warranty for this issue up to 120,010 miles. My car is at 127,600. She then told me to drive the car to the dealership. She wants me to drive that death trap back on the highway!!!! A friend of mine came out and hooked up his code computer and found it to be an accelerator sensor.

Sabina offered NO HELP. None what so ever. GM knew about this issue and did NOTHING to notify us and are doing NOTHING to help us get it fixed. If this isn't the definition of gross negligence I dont know what is.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Lots of people are annoyed by similar issues on GM vehicles!

However, I don't think any automaker would offer free towing on a long out-of-warranty car. That's part of your insurance or AAA membership. And reading the code isn't all that there is to this problem. It may well be (I hope not for your sake) that replacing that part will not cure the problem. It is a multi-cause issue in many cases. The codes don't tell you the part to replace, only the system or circuit that is reporting in to the computer.
  • Options
    cwn175cwn175 Member Posts: 2
    I am more then annoyed. The fact that GM knew that my car would shut off without warning and never told me is crazy! Have they not learned from the ignition switch debacle. Whether it has 20 miles or 200,000 miles. I don't care if I was past the time they say their warranty is. They know its an issue and are letting people drive around in death traps. So yes, I think they should have come and got the car and fixed it for me.
  • Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    A warranty is a contract, the contract expired when the warranty did
  • Options
    darleneadarlenea Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Chev Impala. Had the whole traction control/reduced engine power issues at 7000 miles. Dealership fixed. Again at 50000 miles. Dealership fixed, but I paid around $600. Recently same issue started again. Yesterday my daughter and I were on top of a bridge and car completely disabled SUDDENLY.  No stirring, no brakes, no power of any kind. Display said something about throttle disabling... Not sure of exact wording because I was trying to wrestle non responsive vehicle out of traffic across three lanes without hitting anyone or bridge guard rail. Finally we were lucky enough to coast to bottom of bridge and off road. After about 10 minutes car started back up. We continued homeward...Carefully. Today service engine light has gone off. Car seems fine. This is beyond scary!!! I need to know this is going to be FIXED. I am tempted to trade off...but this makes me very angry. I have read all of these posts with the exact same issues and I am afraid I do not understand why a recall has not been issued. I assure you if I am forced to trade to "resolve" this issue I will NEVER buy another GM product. Please stop putting people's lives in danger. Step up!
  • Options
    ranger1108ranger1108 Member Posts: 4
    1999 Chevrolet Impala, 3.5 engine. Have had this problem on and off for over a YEAR!! Seems as though no one can solve it. Gone through 4 throttle bodies, two sensors at the gas pedal, new plug for the throttle body, reflashed PCM. Problem still comes back. At first GM says, no problems. Then I get a letter in the mail saying if I have the problem, they are extending the warranty 10,000 miles. What a joke. Also in letter it says if I have had it fixed, to send them the paid bill and they will look at it. I bet that in the last year and a half, I have been without this car 90+ days. Probably will not compensate me for this though. Wife will be driving 70mph on the interstate on her way to work and car will just die. These vehicles are dangerous. Do not buy one. If you have one, SELL IT NOW!! It is in the shop now and if not fixed this time, IT IS GONE!!
  • Options
    justfixit_18justfixit_18 Member Posts: 1
    I received the same letter and GM denied me the replacement. said I was over the allotted mileage. Um yeah, how about they figured this problem out way back in 2011 when people first began complaining and forming discussion forums about it. I bought my 2009 Impala used in 2010 with over 65k on it. 5 years later I am at 138k. I have been getting the "engine power reduced" message along with the "service traction control" for the past 1 1/2 years. Finally GM issues a recall to fix the problem, but only on certain vehicles that meet their "specifications". WTF... pardon my language but I am highly frustrated. When I contacted GM to contest this they said that they would "try" to see if there was anything they could do to assist. but in the mean time i should take it in to my local dealership and have them replace the throttle sensor. ok, I said, and who is going to pay for the service fees. The rep said, I could try to get GM to pay by requesting reimbursement. Sure.. OK!
  • Options
    mmstjeanmmstjean Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2010 Impala (3.5L V6) in Feb 2014. This weekend, started having issues matching descriptions here. However, I bought it used from a non-GM dealership (presumably a trade-in from one of their customers). The car came with a power train warranty, but it seems like it won't be covered.

Has anyone been successful in having GM pay for the repair? My car is just over 120k km (around 75k miles). Would really rather not have to spend $300+ for something that clearly is a vehicle problem, not just standard wear and tear.
  • Options
    robertvelrobertvel Member Posts: 1
    I am having a couple of problems with my 2009 Chevy Impala LT. 1st I am getting a loud knocking noise from my dashboard every time i turn on and turn off my car. The noise stays on for a minute or two then goes away. I've had the car for 6 months and it has progressively gotten louder. It seems to be connected to an A/C problem. 2nd I've just stared to get Service traction control message and loss of motor power because of it! I do not know where to begin to fix these problems and am lost, I need some direction ASAP.
  • Options
    limegreen421limegreen421 Member Posts: 1
    I am horrified at GM's attitude about this issue. They have shirked a lot of responsibility with this issue and I am extremely upset. I have a 2007 Impala that has twice completely shut off while driving and lost all power, had it once start up doing the hard shaking thing, now it is intermittently giving me the "reduced engine power" "Service traction control" messages. I cannot believe that GM is totally cool with these cars just shutting off or having engine power cut, potentially leaving the driver and passengers in mortal danger. But they seem to be since they took forever to include my VIN in the ignition switch recall and according to the dealership I am not eligible for anything relating to this issue. I will never buy another GM car again and I will tell people why; explaining that GM made a death trap (and knew it!) and refused to recall all vehicles affected by this issue, thereby knowingly putting myself and passengers in danger. SHAME ON YOU, GM!
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

I am horrified at GM's attitude about this issue. They have shirked a lot of responsibility with this issue and I am extremely upset. I have a 2007 Impala that has twice completely shut off while driving and lost all power, had it once start up doing the hard shaking thing, now it is intermittently giving me the "reduced engine power" "Service traction control" messages. I cannot believe that GM is totally cool with these cars just shutting off or having engine power cut, potentially leaving the driver and passengers in mortal danger. But they seem to be since they took forever to include my VIN in the ignition switch recall and according to the dealership I am not eligible for anything relating to this issue. I will never buy another GM car again and I will tell people why; explaining that GM made a death trap (and knew it!) and refused to recall all vehicles affected by this issue, thereby knowingly putting myself and passengers in danger. SHAME ON YOU, GM!

Hello limegreen421,

We are sorry to see that you are experiencing concerns with your vehicle. We value our customers and your safety is our top priority.
    Please send a private message with your VIN, contact information, current mileage, preferred dealer and we will look into your situation further.
    We are looking forward to your message.

Cecil J.
    Chevrolet Customer Care
  • Options
    cmvillacmvilla Member Posts: 2
    I am the owner of a 2011 Chevy Impala, I bought the car in July from a dealership, I am very upset! I have talked to the dealership and to GM about the issue I had with my car locking up as I was exiting the highway shortly after showing me the stabilitrak and reduce engine power message, I could have been killed or killed someone else! When I called the dealership they said there were no open recalls on my vehicle so I asked for GM's number when speaking with GM they showed trained empathy for the situation and let me know how "sorry" they were but said that there were no recalls on the vehicle. Then I was told since my vehicle has 117,038 miles on it that I did qualify for their "special offer" why is there a special offer? Maybe because so many people have called and complained about this problem!!!!!
    Anyway they tell me I have to take it to the dealership and pay $131 for the diagnostic, The part to fix the car is only $72 and my dad can change it out! I explained this to the customer service rep, She stated that in order to get it fixed for free they had to do the diagnostic, I told her that I understand that, but I don't understand why I have to pay for it. I told her if they did the diagnostic and it wasnt a qualifying problem I would gladly pay but if the problem was the special offer reason why should I have too. She then started yelling at me saying they had to do the diagnostic and that it wasn't free!!! So I told her I wanted to speak to her Supervisor. The supervisor is suppose to call me today. Here is the thing that grinds my gears, if there is a known problem with a vehicle and it is not getting recalled but there is enough complaints that there is a SPECIAL OFFER then the company does not give a rats pajamas about it's customers. I have been driving chevy vehicles since I was 17 but I don't think I will ever buy one again. I am someones daughter, sister, aunt, loved one, and all I know is I could have easily died today and GM does not care!
  • Options
    If my daughters car needed a repair and the part was that cheap, I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the repair but me. For that matter when it comes to her safety, I'd spend a lot more than that and never give it a second thought.
  • Options
    cmvillacmvilla Member Posts: 2
    MY DAD FIXING IT IS NOT THE ISSUE THE ISSUE IS GM SHOULD PAY FOR THE PART!!!!! WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THEY ALREADY KNEW WAS WRONG WITH THE CAR. MY FATHER IS HAPPY TO FIX IT!
  • Options
    amyleighamyleigh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Chevy Impala that I bought used- without warranty. It has been a nightmare!  So far, I've replaced (just that I can think of) the water pump, the radiator, 2 motor actuators, one motor mount, the transmission, and the fuel pump. I've almost spent as much on maintenance as I did to buy the blasted thing. Now there's a recall for a part that might be my continuing problem but my car isn't covered because it exceeds the mileage for a RECALL.  I've been getting the sensor error for transaction stabilizer and then I lose all power while driving. I've taken it to my mechanic who can't find the cause of the problem. I can't imagine how many lives have been endangered by this, but mine is on that list. And is if that wasn't enough, now the battery keeps randomly losing power. I'll go to crank the car, and it will not crank. I have to get a jump-start. I've had the (new) battery, starter, and alternator all checked and they are good. I can't trust driving the car anywhere, but I have to because it is my only transportation. Any ideas?  I certainly can't push this disastrous car on any other person because, unlike the dealership, I have a conscience and couldn't live with myself if someone else was killed by this death-trap of a car :(
  • Options
    amyleighamyleigh Member Posts: 2
    I should also note that I've had to replace all of these within a year and a half of owning the car. It was in the shop the first year more than it was driven. :-/
  • Options
    zekeedwzekeedw Member Posts: 1
    Just experienced the "reduced engine power" "Service traction control" messages today on my 2009 Impala. Reading all the comments on this issue it sounds like I am in for a real treat in trying to get it fixed. Is there anything I should know before going to the local dealer about this?
    Thanks
  • Options
    deenalynnedeenalynne Member Posts: 1
    In 2011 we bought a 2008 Impala SS. We loved it. Then a couple years after we bought it the problems started. Flashing engine ,Service traction control and service stabilitrak lights along with a miss and hard shifting in the transmission. We had it tuned up, checked the transmission, checked coils, checked code after code with our mechanic. No luck. Finally we reluctantly went to the dealer and were told that we needed a computer at a cost to us of $700. Of course the warranty had expired. We repaired this and it was ok for a short time. Then the same symptoms started again. We travel a lot for work and were frequently out of town when we experienced the issues. We went back to our regular mechanic and had codes checked again. Same exact codes. We could not afford the $100 for diagnostics at the dealer again so we had to just continue to limp along with it. Finally several months later we gave in and went back to the dealer to be told that the computer warranty had expired after 12,000 miles. WHAT? A $700 part that had a pitiful little warranty? My husband's work was sporadic and we could not afford to replace the computer so we had to continue to drive this car. That same year the miss got worse and I took it to yet another mechanic who replaced spark plugs, oil sending unit, a wheel sensor, and a wiring harness in attempts to address this problem. After all this I got in the car, it seemed to be fixed. I drove about 10 miles and the dinging and lights started again. Turned around and took it back. More diagnostics and more money spent. The car seemed to be fixed again. I started out of town in it thinking it was ok. I got about an hour away from home and saw pure white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Got it back to the mechanic and it was a bad fuel injector. Got that replaced and started home. Got the SAME msgs we started out with at the beginning of our problems. About a month ago while driving we started getting the reduced power msg and the car would drop to 40 mph. VERY dangerous and happens without warning. This was more than an irritation because we knew this could cause us to be killed!!!! I went to the dealer again today and spent another $100 on diagnostics only to be told I need to spend $485 on a throttle body and $617 on ANOTHER computer. I am beyond frustrated! I can't afford this. I love my little car but the mechanics of it are totally unreliable. This is the first Chevrolet I have owned and most likely my last. So sad to me that GM has extended the warranty for this problem only to a chosen few. This is a very dangerous issue and the lawsuits are gonna fly when people are injured or killed from their negligence. A recall should be a recall, no matter the mileage!!! I have so much documentation for the money we've spent and have talked to customer service multiple times with no reassurance that we will see any repair or reimbursement. If someone in our household gets injured/killed due to this car WE WILL SUE to help save others!!! Wake up GM! YOU are the reason so many are buying Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans!
  • Options
    aracelliaracelli Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Can the customer service from chevy email me at [Email removed] please my impala2009 is having this issues haven't had it not even for 2 weeks
  • Options
    mlatinamlatina Member Posts: 2
    Pleeeaaase help.  I have been having the same issues.  I've had my car 3 yrs now and love my car minus this issues. About 4 months ago,  the stability light came on,  followed by engine reduced then by having the motor light come on.  My car would then run very slow until the car would shift gears & would do the same thing until the car was able to run a decent speed. Once i came to a stop sign or stop light, the routine would start over.  Once I turned the car off,  the stability light turned off until the next time it happens. I have replaced the tires,  the brakes,  the tire sensors,  flushed the transmission fluid & replaced the gas pedal that had a sensor BUT my car continues to do the same thing. I've had the computer put on the car & had 2 codes returned but I cant remember the code #'s.  I'm so frustrated & am on the edge of trading in the vehicle for a dependable one but I really love my car.
  • Options
    mn2azjoymn2azjoy Member Posts: 3
    I've always been a GM fan, but this is beyond frustrating and beyond reasonable! With the sheer number of others with the same problems, GM should be recalling and fixing these hazardous concerns. My impala will display the traction control dummy light ( on warm dry days, even before I put the vehicle in GEAR!), and the "reduce the power" at random as well. I mean seriously, I can't leave a parking lot because I can't accelerate enough to stay ahead of oncoming traffic. With the reduced power kicking out at random, I am an accident waiting to happen. This makes driving a hazard and on occasion when the traction control is also lit (they most often coincide) the car can steer "differently." After multiple attempts at repair I have parked the car and gone back to my dying 2004 because it is safer and more reliable for my family. I can't ethically sell it & who know when it will act up, although it has increased to most days, most of the time. COME ON GM step up and do what is right!!!! Ford did something similar with a costly impact on our family, in the 80's and no one in my (even extended) family has purchased a ford since.
  • Options
    mn2azjoymn2azjoy Member Posts: 3
    I also have the "unsmooth" shifting, almost feels like delayed engagement between the front & rear?! As well as the ever consistent "tire monitor" light which is an annoyance, but not life threatening or make the car undriveable like my other complaints!
  • Options
    ghost2120ghost2120 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue start with my 2010 Impala today. The stabilitrak and reduce engine power lite came on, so I limped the car back home with no problems. After letting the car sit for awhile I restarted it, only to find the check engine lite on. I like many others here find it hard to believe they have known about this problem for so long but done nothing to fix it. Maybe after afew more years of people having this problem they will decide to fix it once and for all. Till that time I hope can make to work without being stranded in the middle of nowhere on the side of the road.
  • Options
    chela82chela82 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    gmcustsvc said:
    katluvroo, I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation. Thank you, Caron, GM Customer Service
    Hi, I'm having the same issues with my 09' impala, can you help?
  • Options
    tnoc8741tnoc8741 Member Posts: 1
    It's still happening! My 2014 Impala LTZ with 20,000 miles just went in for the same failures as mentioned in this thread. Good thing, it never quit on me. I shut it off at the red light twice to get the craziness to go away but to no avail it was there to stay. I limped into the dealer just a few blocks away and they immediately said it would cost me the $100 diagnostic fee and I told them to check the miles and warranty before they spewed that crap at me. It's no wonder that people are giving up on GM/Chevy. The people employed haven't the slightest bit of decency and that's just at the door. I gets much worse the further in you go.
  • Options
    frogdog29frogdog29 Member Posts: 1
    How i fixed the engine power reduced issue on my wife's 07 impala. The first thing I did when the problem started happening was take the car to auto zone to read the code for the engine light, it said to replace the throttle body, so I did, 150$ later and the problem wasn't resolved. I ended up replacing the battery terminals (6$ jus get the cheap universal ones from any parts store).The problem was the clamps on the factory terminals weren't getting tight enough, causing the computer to throw error codes. I've read many forums of people spending thousands of dollars to no avail, try this first people, could save u alot of money and headache. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The codes only tell you that that circuit is in some kind of distress. Diagnostic technology is not yet up to positively identifying the defective part. But yeah, wiring is often the culprit in these cases.

Some people have found, especially the "home scientists" who actually went to the trouble of taking the TPS apart, that the "fingers" in the potentiometer part of the assembly were fusing together in some places.
  • Options
    rodimus48primerodimus48prime Member Posts: 3
    Just as Ryusher stated however at 45 mph with 74,000 miles on my 2008 Impala LS Ex - Police Cruiser !!! The Impala just shut off on me at a Railroad Crossing !!! :angry: I quickly got out and removed the Intake Manifold cover and jiggled the connector of the TPS !!! The car started back up !!! One of my Mechanic friends said that the TPS and the Accelerator Pedal sensor were losing communication with each other !!! What in Gods Name did some Mindless Idiot at General Motors decided to make a Cable Less Throttle Assembly ???
  • Options
    GM cars ain't bad !!! Just find one that still has a Throttle Cable Assembly instead of Sensors trying to Communicate with each other !!! ( 50's , 60's , 70's , 80's and 90's !!! :smile:
  • Options
    Have a Happy 4th of July Everyone !!! B)
  • Options
    reduced_solvedreduced_solved Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys I'm just here to tell you all i resolved my engine power reduced message that has been happening to my 2007 chevy suburban everyday for the past few weeks.Please if you are having this same problem to read my entire message before you get to what i tell you the problem should be on your vehicle as well.It has been happening at least six times or more everyday for the past few weeks.If you have the same problem hopefully this will help.First i got a new pedal because everytime the message came up on the dash and i plug in my diagnostics tool to the chip outlet under the steering wheel the code always read pedal position sensor.So when i changed my pedal i thought that it was fixed but it wasn't.After that i put on a new throttle body and that still didn't work.The Last thing i did because believe me this was getting on all of my nerves but the last thing i did was every time the engine power reduce message comes up the last couple of times i pulled and pushed a little on the THROTTLE BODY WIRING HARNESS WIRES/CONNECTOR you can hear a clicking in the engine and my suburban would rev up or down.The reason why i put that in capital letters because this is the root of the problem.I went to the dealership to get a THROTTLE BODY WIRING HARNESS CONNECTOR no autoparts stores had it so i had no choice but i paid 55 dollars and i made sure the wires were copper(brown like a penny) on the inside of the wire covering.DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get the connector with aluminum(silver like a nickel) wires.Aluminum wires expand while heated and shrinks when cool.That is the reason why myself and others have had problems with EPR(engine power reducing)in the weather with this aluminum wiring Aluminum wiring sucks.After i got my throttle body wiring harness connector with COPPER wiring i went home and started up so under the hood i went since i know a little something about wiring and automotive work i figured this should be easy.It was easy for me just time consuming.Before i started i looked at the OLD wiring harness which was still connected and saw at the other end past the tape and old crimps that the wires were different colors so i labeled the NEW throttle body wiring harness wires with yellow tape and wrote with a black marker which NEW wire connects to the colored wires according to the OLD throttle body wiring harness.So i cut the wires to the old throttle body wiring harness connector as a matter of fact i cut past the crimps.The crimps are the little sleeves that came with the new throttle body wiring harness connector.You will not need those because they tend to get moisture in them which is not good because moisture in wires will cause it to not function properly or they might just slip loose after time.Or if you do decide to use the new crimps just make sure you put a very tight seal over them so no moisture won't get in but i prefer SOLDERING the wires together.They have youtube videos on soldering wires together if you have never done it.Here is the link to one video https://youtu.be/Q9G9gaokqvM ...............So that's the route i went but before i did that and when i cut the old throttle body wiring harness off and when i took the tape off the old crimps and the tape that was covering it was sticky wet sort of speak.That's the moisture i was talking about.Something also told me that this has been done before to this truck of mine but they didn't use nothing but regular electrical tape to seal the wires after they crimped them.Idecided i was gonna use silicone tape which adheres to itsef i applied that after the soldering of the wires.I'm sure there is other things to use at high temps. under the hood but that's my choice.Now the time consuming stage i was talking about is soldering maybe because i did it under the hood and i had to maneuver a bit while under there but it was worth it.I actually put a piece of board under the wires while i was soldering so none of the heated solder would fall down onto other parts.So after i was done soldering and let the solder dry onto the wires which did not take long i applied this other tape before the silicone tape.I don't know the name of it i had it for quite a while it actually popped up in my tool box but this kind of tape was black on top and white at the bottom the white part looked liked threads almost.I don't think it matters because the silicone tape itself would work.So applied the tapes i actually applied a good bit around each wire at first and then i applied the tape around the whole group of wires together.The silicone tape stretches like rubber so you can pull it tight to get a good seal.I test drove my truck i been driving it for a full week now and not one engine reduced power message at all.My truck has actually been riding like it was when i first purchased it.No hesitation no rough idle i been on a two hour trip.There and back and was still riding around in the upper 90 degree temps outside.That was the problem guys I hope this helps all of you or at least some.I apologize for the book i wrote lol!One more thing please for some that don't know please DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY before you try this if you are doing it yourself and don't know much about under the car.I have pics of my old throttle body wiring harness connector and a pics of the new one that's already connected if you scroll down to my name reduced solved.Take care
  • Options
    frustrated_momfrustrated_mom Member Posts: 1
    I'm beyond frustrated with my situation...my parents purchased a chevy impala in 2008. My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and when she passed away four years ago, my husband and I bought her car. She had never had any issues with it, but in the past year, this car has become a death trap. The engine power reduced light is on all of the time now, so it's very difficult to accelerate. Three different times the entire car has shut down after giving a throttle disabled message. The last time it happened, my husband and I and my two sons were in the car driving up an extremely busy overpass, and it stopped in the middle. We had no shoulder...literally shut the key off and prayed it would restart after a minute or so, and luckily it did. Cars had to swerve around us at an accelerated speed to keep from hitting us. Our only option was to stay in the car, because we were high off the ground and couldn't exactly jump off the freeway. I had never come so close to possibly losing my family, and I've already lost enough. I called GM and spoke to a rep and was basically told that the car was over a certain number of miles and they couldn't help me with anything. I would be paying it all myself. I've taken it to a mechanic, but no one seems to know for sure what the problem is. I'm completely at a loss as to what to do. I still drive the car to and from work, but never further than that. It seems like these issues started with most of these cars around 2011, but ours started several years later. So of course we didn't take it in before the mileage limit passed because we didn't know. I haven't been offered an extension on mileage either. I just don't know what to do....
  • Options
    Try using the iATN member directory to find an electronics/diagnostics specialist in your area. iATN Homepage
  • Options
    melly562melly562 Member Posts: 8

After being stranded this past Monday 2-6-12, my mechanic actually came to where I was stranded and replaced the throttle sensor foot pedal assembly. The reason I was stranded you ask? Well, thanks for asking! After starting my car and putting it in gear there was no power when I pushed on the gas pedal. It rolled back to my surprise and I also hit the car parked behind me (I was parked facing uphill). I slammed on the brake, put the car in park, excelerated and the engine revved like it should. I put it in gear again, and again it just rolled back and wouldn't rev the engine.

My mechanic changed out the throttle sensor foot pedal assembly on the spot (didn't take long at all) and I soon was on my way. Wish I could say it had a happy ending, but less than 2 miles down the road the "engine power reduced" came on and also "service traction control". One doesn't come on else the other does (not sure how they are connected). Well, the car is worse now than it was before. I can't go 100 yards without the car losing power. I managed to get home (25 miles) but am sick and tired of spending money on things that are "supposed" to take care of the problem but doesn't. I personally bought this part from the dealer myself.

Oh, and the oil issue. I really don't wanna go there, but,......the oil is dry after every 300 miles! Nope, not 3,000 miles,....THREE HUNDRED MILES! I have 119,000 miles on this car and have decided that I'm done with Chevy's. My husband has finally won the car war....I'm trading my Chevy for a Dodge. No more Chevy's for me. Just call me DONE!

Do you still have this car? I have the same issues on my car and GM wont do anything to try and help. If you still have the car you should report it to the NHTSA and maybe if enough of us with the same issue report it we can get a recall on this vehicle. Hope this helps!

• Options
    stephd74 said:

I have had the same problem with my 07 Impala. I had the car a week, and started to have problems with the Engine Power Reduced situation. It stalls a t least once a week on me, stranding me for up to 15 minutes at a time. So, I had the pedal replaced, but to no avail, this STILL HAPPENS!! While on a freeway, going 65 MPH engine power reduced light comes on then, the engine disables and shuts down, trying to steer this is crazy after everything shuts down. And being on a freeway, with people driving behind you when it shuts off!!! THIS CAR IS A DEATH TRAP!!! I have had the car for 7 months and it has been nothing but trouble! I cant seem to get enough trade in value to trade it in either. So, I am just letting the vehicle go back and get reposessed. I will get another car, just NOT A CHEVY!!! NEVER AGAIN!

I WILL NOT DRIVE IT ANYMORE, ESPECIALLY WITH MY CHILDREN INSIDE!

I am in the same situation as you, and the car shut down on me as well. I am a mother as well and I was lucky enough not to have my children in the car with me that day. I have been suggesting to others who still have the same car to report the issue to the NHTSA so maybe that enough of us with the same problem can get GM to look into the obviously faulty design and get them to fix their bad vehicles. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    debo6 said:

Iam having the same problem with my car. My problems started two months ago. Reduce engine power. 1st problem with this car,I was driving on I45 going to Houston,Texas. Darn car stopped on the highway. Thank God,after I completely turn the motor off,let it sit for 15 min.started the car. completed my trip. Now the car has that message every other day"reduce engine power" I am about to trade this car in for an Altima. Hopeful GM will do a recall before someone is killed.

debo6 said:

Iam having the same problem with my car. My problems started two months ago. Reduce engine power. 1st problem with this car,I was driving on I45 going to Houston,Texas. Darn car stopped on the highway. Thank God,after I completely turn the motor off,let it sit for 15 min.started the car. completed my trip. Now the car has that message every other day"reduce engine power" I am about to trade this car in for an Altima. Hopeful GM will do a recall before someone is killed.

I completely agree with you! I told GM the same thing, is it going to take someone to be seriously injured for them to listen to us? They still refuse to do anything to look into the obviously bad design of this car. If you still have this car, report your issues to the http://www.nhtsa.gov/ so that maybe if enough of us with the same issue come forward they will be obligated to look into the issues and make their customers safety a priority by changing out these faulty parts. Hope this helps!
  • Options

I'm beyond frustrated with my situation...my parents purchased a chevy impala in 2008. My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and when she passed away four years ago, my husband and I bought her car. She had never had any issues with it, but in the past year, this car has become a death trap. The engine power reduced light is on all of the time now, so it's very difficult to accelerate. Three different times the entire car has shut down after giving a throttle disabled message. The last time it happened, my husband and I and my two sons were in the car driving up an extremely busy overpass, and it stopped in the middle. We had no shoulder...literally shut the key off and prayed it would restart after a minute or so, and luckily it did. Cars had to swerve around us at an accelerated speed to keep from hitting us. Our only option was to stay in the car, because we were high off the ground and couldn't exactly jump off the freeway. I had never come so close to possibly losing my family, and I've already lost enough. I called GM and spoke to a rep and was basically told that the car was over a certain number of miles and they couldn't help me with anything. I would be paying it all myself. I've taken it to a mechanic, but no one seems to know for sure what the problem is. I'm completely at a loss as to what to do. I still drive the car to and from work, but never further than that. It seems like these issues started with most of these cars around 2011, but ours started several years later. So of course we didn't take it in before the mileage limit passed because we didn't know. I haven't been offered an extension on mileage either. I just don't know what to do....

Report it to the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/. Many of us with this car have the same issues and GM wont change the design or even attempt to look into the issue even though so many have had the same problem. I'm trying to reach out to as many people as I can with the same car in hopes that if enough of us report the issue we can get GM to listen and issue a recall. I was lucky enough to not have been with my kids that day and I almost cried reading your story. I hope this helps and hopefully GM will fix this faulty design because I completely understand how scary it is being stranded in the middle of a busy road.
  • Options
    joefixinitjoefixinit Member Posts: 1
    Looks like Chevy will may have a fix for this "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" problem see link
    http://gm.oemdtc.com/2743/reduced-engine-power-loss-of-traction-control-assist-2009-2011-buick-chevrolet
  • Options
    Let's hope---but that bulletin is a year old.
  • Options
    weharriweharri Member Posts: 1
    2006 Impala, I experienced the same thing everyone here is speaking of. First the engine light came on....then the message "Service Traction System" with "Reduce Engine Power". Five minute later my car cut off. Talk about scared it's night time me and my 2yr old granddaughter stranded for 30mins. The car did start for me to make it home, but now the car will not get out of driveway to get serviced. I had the codes pulled P0449 P0121 P1516 P2101 P2135 C0242. i SEE A RECALL FOR 2009 AND UP WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF US..........VERY DANGEROUS WHEN CAR SHUTS OFF WHILE ON HIGHWAY(FREEWAY)
  • Options
    mar0717mar0717 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 2009 chevy impala from a dealer and only have had it for about 1 month and the Service Traction Control and Engine Power Reduced light is showing on the dash and both lights came on. I need help because my mechanic already repaired the throttle body and the accelorator pedal sensor and it still hasn't resolved the issue. PLEASE HELP! 
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    mar0717 said:

I just purchased a used 2009 chevy impala from a dealer and only have had it for about 1 month and the Service Traction Control and Engine Power Reduced light is showing on the dash and both lights came on. I need help because my mechanic already repaired the throttle body and the accelorator pedal sensor and it still hasn't resolved the issue. PLEASE HELP! 

What codes are coming up and has it changed after work done on it?
  • Options
    mar0717mar0717 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2017
    P0121 I think and the issue still continues even after the work has been done on it.
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited April 2017
    mar0717 said:

P0121 I think and the issue still continues even after the work has been done on it.

P0121 appears to be a somewhat tricky one perhaps that would need a number of items checked and step by step procedure to find where failure is. No easy task I would guess.
  • Options
    years of experience and an oscilloscope would help.