Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    The rotten egg smell is sulfer that the cat converter cannot process until it warms up. Worst on warm humid days. Does not affect the car's performance and it goes away when the car warms up. Happens on some cars of all makes.

Anyone who wants a car as transportation should go with a Toyota or Honda. That is what I recommend, especially if you like the styling. If on the other hand you want a car that is a bit more unique and fun to drive, then get a VW and don't expect Toyota/Honda quality.

I have a 2000 Jetta that is flawless after 13,000 miles. I would definity buy another in 3 or 4 years. Best car I ever owned with fewer problems than my 280ZX, which was basically a great car also.

For a better overall picture of VWs, go to vwvortex.com. All problems are discussed and you will see that 90% of the people there rate their cars as very good or excellent.
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    is not unique! Nice looking (compared to the older ones) but definitely not unique! I see more of them than Corollas!
    I think VW overengineered on certain things like interior quality and stuff which makes the buyer at first like it alot since it closes with a solid thud! Dang good. Love the instrumentations too. Who wouldn't go oh ah over the blue lights. However VW underengineered things that drives the car. Parts that is essential to owning one. Parts where buyers won't see until they bought it and drive it home. =(
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    ...if you still have a Jetta....why? If it's such a bad car everyone will know eventually and then VW will go out of business. Then what will be your mission?
    is to protect the earth from the evil villain Magneto and his henchmen....err oops!
    Seriously, you know that my previous post does have it's merit. And I'm not the only person who shares this opinion. In fact A former Corrado and Golf owner shared it to me first and I thought...hmm....that makes sense.
    VW will never go out of business. Just look at GM. Most of their cars suck. From their cavaliers to the Pontiac cars, they fall apart. But their cars are cheap and very affordable for lower income ppl or young grads. Likewise, VW offers the cheapest/affordable European cars in the market. So ppl who fancy the European brand but unable to foot out the money for the expensive marques will jump on VW's offerings which I think is ain't bad. Both the VR6 and 1.8T engines are quite good. But alas, in order to fulfil a low cost European car that carries BMW like interiors, they have to cut corners. Simple economics.
    You know it's true. I apologise if I stepped on your toes wsommariva.
  • gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    hurt too!! ;-)
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Well said! We, that actually own VW's, know they are not cheap cars. And we also know that a manufacturer would not under-engineer the parts that drive the car, and then warranty them for 10/100! Simple economics.
    has that similar warranty IIRC. Sorry for your toes greg! =) I wonder why.... ;-)
    By all means, Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! Been fun getting to "meet" you all here...Yeah, even you Ramon! ;-)))

Thanksgiving day hint: If yer goin' to Gramma's for Thanksgiving and you're assigned to "bring the rolls", just put them in the passeneger seat and turn it up to '5'. They will be nice and toasty when you arrive!! :)))

Be safe and: Drive it like ya stole it!!!
  • mmarzmmarz Member Posts: 1
    I'm also looking to buy a Jetta TDI real soon. Our whole family is CRAZY about VW diesels. My father has a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI and he says that it is the best Golf/Jetta he has ever had. I drive it when ever I can and all I can say is that this car ROCKS! It does not drive like the old turbo diesels. This car has 90BHp and pulls like a smaller gasoline version. The mileage you get out of this car is phenomenal (4L/100Km or approx. 50MPG) highway. You might pay a bit more for the TDI, but you'll be laughing at the pump. My dad has already 50,000+Km, one Canadian winter and absolutely NO PROBLEM. The biggest problem with the TDIs in Canada is...they are going like hot cakes and I can't get the exact one I want. I've been told that I could wait 3-6 months for my TDI!!!! That's nuts! It's even difficult to find a used one.

Oh...I've just thought of a few short comings - rear passenger room is a bit tight and the trunk space has been reduced from a football field to a hockey rink.

To put it simple, the Jetta TDI is probably the second best car that VW has ever come out with. The Passat TDIs in Germany are the best!

I hope this has helped.

Mike
  • joanna2861joanna2861 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2000 Jetta. With less than 11,000 miles on the following broke: rear defroster, headrest defects, oxygen sensor (that's the rotten egg smell), disc brake sensors, gas door release, transmission pan(car had to be towed)and a week after the transmission pan-the driver's side window fell out!!!

It took many calls to VW's un-helpful c/s department as well as several calls to the president's office (that seems to work) to get them to buy back this piece. Anyone having problems - call the president's office, call the BBB and call the Auto Safety Line for the Federal Hwy Commission. I had to do all of the above before VW would do ANYTHING.
    Congratulations! That shows the system works. And, you will not find **ANY** car manufacturer that will buy back a car without kicking and screaming all the way to the end.

They all make lemons. That's a fact. And it's nice to see that the lemon laws we have in place to protect the consumer do work. Granted, it does result in lost time and frustration on your part, but in the long run it pays off.
  • opschkokopschkok Member Posts: 1
    I bought this “car” about 16 months ago. Since, it’s been back to the dealer more times than I care to remember. First day the check engine light came on. The first day! From there it’s only got worse. From blow relays to squeaky seats, I’ve seen it all. Or at least I thought I did until recently. About a week ago, I noticed a most embracing problem: the paint on the dashboard vents is starting to peal, revealing a pretty grey primer underneath. Hey, if only the dealer told me this car changes colors, I may have bought 2, may be 3 of these “cars”. The can call this one the presto-changgo option. But seriously folks, this car has caused me much grief. And from what I understand, I am not alone. I have spoken to at least 5 other Jetta owners and they too have similar problems. Though, I have to say, I am probably the luckiest one of them all. But let me be straight. It is not my intention to embarrass or humiliate VW. In fact, I have pursued several avenues, with little or no luck at all. I have written VW; I have contacted the dealership; I have done everything short of praying to god or setting this thing on fire. Please, will somebody help! If an executive from VW is reading this, please do not attempt to pacify me with a box of chocolates or a nice holiday greeting card. It wont work.
  • sthugginssthuggins Member Posts: 13
    Get a lawyer! It was the only way I got anything done by VW. They will feed you lip service until you play hard ball w/ them. Good Luck!
    Things are going so well I totally forgot! Anyway, the 90-day history on our (so far) zero-defect Jetta is now online at: http://www.members.home.net/2k1bluejetta/index.html

Sorry, no controversial, debilitating 'Honey, call-the-lawyer' defects to report. ;-)
  • petemazpetemaz Member Posts: 2
    Only got a couple of thousand on it so far, but not a single thing wrong. Drives nice, looks nice, all in all a good car.

Pete
  • vthokievthokie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 GLS that is a p.o.s. Both of the back windows have bad window regulators and the driver's side front window doesn't work. 3 out of 4 power windows don't work on my 3 year old car. Has anyone gotten VW to pick up the tab for repairs? I could understand 1 window but 3????
  • lawrence10lawrence10 Member Posts: 6
    Wow as I said a piece of crap these VW's.They are great looking but talk about reliability no way.I see there are more unhappy owners than happy owners.I tell you one thing I have discouraged alot of people from buying this Make of car.Doesn't VW relize that if enough people get wind of how they treat their customers and blow them off it will get around,just like I said domino effect.I really wanted this car badly and wanted to just be treated fairly,but they decided to make an enemy of me.All I wanted was a replacement that's all.Guess the reason they wouldn't replace it was it is a piece of crap.If it were a good car you would think they wouldn't have hesitated to give me another one.Guess they were afraid to have me back again with the same problems.As I said in the other forums as long as I have a breath in my lungs I will never promote Volkswagen.I am sorry for all of my fellow VW owners that have had problems or the unsuspecting to be owners.I wish I had been warned before I purchased this 2000 Jetta.I should have known better when I arrived at the dealer (Russells VW BMW in Baltimore Md) ,When I was given the cold shoulder even before I purchased this car that I was in for a very upsetting experience> I lost alot of money selling this car but I don't feel as bad in a way that I was not alone.To bad we as a group of people could have gotten together and really scare the bejesus out of VW.That women In charge of customer relations or the complaint dept Briget Materowski was such as B that she wouldn't want to be treated like I was treated.That is why I put a lemon sigh in the car before I sold it for close to a year.I drove that sucker all over Maryland and part of Pennsylvania.I just hope this gets around to all those potential buyers.I hope she loses her job because of the way she has acted.Maybe anyone here have problems with her?
  • vwprobvwprob Member Posts: 2
    I concur, Transmission (ring & pinion set) whines, Two transmission (bolts) mounts have snapped off, and electrical failures, ie check engine light. The car is a 2000 Jetta VR6, under 12K miles. VOA, Inc gets a poor rating, customer relations is also included in that poor rating. A tech bulletin for the transmission whine is on record, but VW can not, will not project a repair time frame? How unprofessional is that? These faulty ring & pinion sets will cut into VW's 2000 profit margin, and it's sad to think VW wishes we would all just go away, based on their responses, or lack thereof. To all purchasers out there with similar issues, please continue to persevere, it will resolve the problem.
  • vwbradvwbrad Member Posts: 1
    After 3 years and under 40,000 miles the following major things have happened to my Jetta (aside from normal expected wear and tear items):
    1) All of the brakes needed replacing including the rotors.
    2)Replace coil pack (and transformer) which was faulty since the car was new. It caused the car to "chug and stall" when starting in humid weather. This wasn't detected until after the 2 year warranty and of course is not covered under the 10 year drive train warranty.
    3) Ignition switch replacement which caused a short causing the headlights, AC and windshield wipers to sporadically stop and the air bag light to remain on. This was especially bad when driving on a hot rainy night.
    4)Wheel lock broke on hub - couldn't get the tire off to fix the brakes until the lock set was replaced.
    5) Cooling system gasket leak - constant leaking of fluid - had to replace thermostat housing and pipes.

Here's what I've learned from experience: If you have a Jetta and are not under warranty and decide to keep it -
    1) Find a non-dealer mechanic who specializes in VW's. An example - #3 above - after I was quoted $900+ for the job ("we'll have to take apart the whole steering assembly and that's 6 hours work and bla bla), I was so fed up I finally found someone after searching a little bit. I was charged $34.00 for the ignition switch, $144.00 for installing it and $131.00 for tracing the problem - far less than the dealers inflated estimate. In the Chicago area the place is Tandil Auto Repair on N. Oak Park Ave.

2) Get your brakes fixed at Midas. They will do it for far less than any dealer plus they are guaranteed for the life of the car. If anything goes wrong or they need replacing again, they will only charge labor - no questions asked.

One question I have now - the car is actually working OK except for the cruise control and heated seats. Could these possibly be blown fuses?

Thank you and safe motoring.
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    "I see there are more unhappy owners than happy owners."

How did you arrive at this conclusion?
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    i LOVE my 1997 jetta. it is the best car i have ever owned (others were a 69 VW beetle, 89 toyota corolla, & 97 mazda protege). i will never go back to staid japanese cars nor will i ever consider a domestic after having this jetta. the car has 42,500 miles on it and i have had these issues.
    1.dead battery
    2.a small leak in a vacuum hose (which my mechanic, an independent mechanic who specializes in water cooled VWs fixed free of charge)
    3. an exhaust buzz under heavy acceleration due to a loose heat shield.

go to vwvortex.com if you want to see and hear from people who love their VWs. this forum is entitled "how often do jettas breakdown?" it's going to attract a lot of disgruntled owners, naturally. most VW owners love their cars and are fairly loyal to the brand.
  • libra4libra4 Member Posts: 2
    What do you guys think a fair price is on a 2000 Jetta GLS with 27,000 miles on it?
    Thanks!
    Yeah! What's with this: "I see there are more unhappy owners than happy owners."

I demand a re-count!

Read post #766.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    If you haven't already, you should ask your question in one of the Jetta topics over in our Sedans Conference.

The easiest way to find all of them is to key Jetta into the Topic Search feature on the left side of the page.

Good luck.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • a151xwa151xw Member Posts: 1
    MY 2000 JETTA GLX HAD A SERVICE AT THE DEALER THIS PAST MONDAY. ON SATURDAY OF THE WEEK, MY CAR HAD TO BE TOWED BECAUSE THE ENGINE DID NOT HOLD THE MOTOR OIL. I GUESS THE ENGINE LEAKED OIL. I AM VERY UNHAPPY ABOUT IT. I NEED SOME ADVICE ON TAKING CARE OF THE ISSUE. I KNOW THE DEALER WILL TRY TO PUSH THE FAULT AT ME. BY THE WAY, THE TOW TRUCK GUY TOLD ME THAT MY ENGINE IS DEAD AND I WILL NEED A NEW ONE.
    Try reading this thread at VWVortex covering the same type scenario:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/vwbb/Forum4/HTML/018217.html
  • leksa24leksa24 Member Posts: 1
    ok, we re picking up a 2001 1.8jetta on saturday, in nj we havent actually put money down yet, some of the comments that were made about all the electronic breakdowns, leaks, lights staying on, are really scary.( and a 2000jetta who engine is dead?? is that possible?? I though these new cars have a much better history of reliability compared to older models, what shall we do??
    i thought the purpose of buying a new car, is not having any worries about stuff going wrong, for at least 4 years. i currently have a civic, any recommendations, should be buy that extened warrenty??
    Take this forum in context. It is a complaint forum, so what you will read here is complaints. This is not the 'I'm-so-happy-with-my-Jetta' forum. Just check any of the other threads here and you'll not buy ANY cars! They all suck! ;-)

On the other hand, Volkswagen's customer service record is not number one. That is a fact. Another thing I have noticed from reading this and several other forums is that a lot of the previous problems with the new Jetta (A4 or MKIV) platform have been resolved.

Try reading the vwvortex.com forum. You'll read both complaints and praises of all VW/Audi built cars there, so it gives a more balanced view than does this valuable, but more negative forum base.

I have not had one problem with my Jetta. We bought it in August and will be ready for its 5K checkup soon. Absolutely zero defects to date.

But, you must weigh your own decision. Just don't do it soley on this forum. Go for another test drive! ;-) As for the extended warranty? I got one, but then I keep my cars for 8-10 years too.

Good luck!!
  • vdubluv1vdubluv1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Jetta GT. Have not had any problems with it whatsoever other then the occasional new belt or whatev', however, I'm really happy with mine. It already has 68,000 miles on it and it still runs strong! I think ya'll trippin'!
  • vdubluv1vdubluv1 Member Posts: 2
    I think what the problem is here is shady mechanics who are robbing, you sheep, blind. That's what it comes down to. To ya'll who know how to fix your own car, you can complain all you want. I seem to hear stories in this discussion of people who take their cars to get fixed and then another thing goes wrong. Then two things go wrong, etc. Doesn't that sound sorta strange! Don't you think you may possibly be getting screwed by these mechanics who claim that your valve cover gasket is leaking so it's causing your exhaust manifold to have too much pressure, therefore blowing out your catalytic converter. Whatever. All of that obviously doesn't affect eachother, but that's my point. Unless you're on top of the game, knowin' about all that stuff, it's really easy for the regular consumer to get jacked by mechanics! In that case, you can blame it on the car all you want. And I'm sure a lot of times it is the car that's a lemon, however, just be aware of what your mechanic is really talkin' about. research it if you have to. I'm outeeeeee! And that's all I have to say! Audi L8z
  • mattjettavr6mattjettavr6 Member Posts: 7
    I bought a VR6 GLS fully loaded last year (Dec 5) and put 15k on the clock with ZERO problems with the car. Not ONE. It had power everything...windows, locks, sunroof etc. I just traded it in for a 2001. Same exact car but with a manual transmission (for more control), sport suspension and wheels, and Monsoon stereo. Also fully loaded (even more so really) and I will keep you posted on the reliability of this new one. All I can say is, if this car goes the same way I will be a VW customer forever. I bought the car at VWSpringfield in Northern VA. They gave me a fair deal and they did go out of their way to find this car for me. Good luck!
    Our Jetta turns 4 months today. As cute as the day she was born! ;-)) Anyway, it's available at: http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • jeffreywhortonjeffreywhorton Member Posts: 1
    I would like to hear from anyone who has a diesel. How has the engine preformed? Would the car do okay in cold Montana weather with some mountainous surroundings. Is there enough power? How does it drive in ice and snow?
  • mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    I have a 2001 Jetta TDI and it's GREAT!!! Forget everything you have ever heard about diesels....this beats all of the old ones. It's been a dream to start in the cold weather we've been having here in Indiana. It starts the same in 0-degree weather as it does in 70-degree weather. It's a good idea to let it warm up for a couple of minutes before driving off, though, because the engine is a little noisy when it's cold. It has great pickup and will smoke any 4 cyl on the road. I get close to 50 mpg on the hwy and about 40 in the city. I don't know why anyone would buy a car with any other engine. If you want to enjoy the great fuel economy, I would recommend getting a manual transmission. The only thing you should ever have to do to the engine is a timing belt change at about 60K. I've heard of plenty of people in Canada buying them. I think you'll be OK in Montana. Let me know!

A satisfied VW owner....
  • doconneldoconnel Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 79 rabbit with the old Diesel engine, and if this new diesel is anything like the old one you will be very happy. drove my Rabbit for 328,600 mile before the unibody busted through, and the engine was still going strong. Only problem I had with the engine was the glow plugs would crack because the injectors would leak down on them and I had to to have the injectors repaired.
  • areakareak Member Posts: 2
    have a 2000 Jetta GLX (with automatic), that I have owned for about 8 months now. It has been a great car except for the fact that it has been in the shop for about 2 or the 8 months I have had it. I am already on my second transmission, and their is a loud howling noise coming from the rear gearbox again. I am getting really sick of taking it in to get looked at and serviced. I am taking it in again because it is shifting terribly, and sometimes won't shift between 1st and 2nd without a load pop. Has anyone else had these problems??? I like the look and feel of the car (when it works), but I am already looking at other cars, since the reliability has been horrid! Thanks for any help.
    You need to start mentioning the words 'lemon' and 'buyback' when talking with your dealer/ VW Rep. You are one of the few unfortunate people that got a bad one. You need to start checking into your state's particular lemon laws.
  • muck9muck9 Member Posts: 1
    i've owned a '75 bus,2 '66 buses, '70 bus, '88 and '93 foxes, '94 jetta, and my fiance has a '70 ghia. The fact is, a VWs have to be milked. Most of the problems i've seen on this message board have been things that could have been avoided. for example, one idiot on here says that his brake pads and rotors went bad...well, brake pads go (thats a given), but don't let them eat up your rotors! replace them before that happens! In order to get the most out of your vw, make sure you know and understand how works a vw. and for you ladies, make sure your man knows how works a vw. OH, and NEVER BRAG ABOUT HOW YOUR VW IS RUNNING!! this is a sin in some third world countries. We all know that VW places a Poltergeist in the car somewhere along the assembly line. I'm not sure when.
    I am offering limited webspace and a private, invitation-only mailing list to all Edmunds members / Jetta owners. Please contact me at nwvw@bluelagoonjetta.com for more information, or visit the website at: http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com, enter your email address and click on the join button.

Please, Jetta owners only. This is a private, moderated list and is totally a for-fun, not-for-profit venture.

-Jim
  • tonitigertonitiger Member Posts: 3
    In December, we purchased a '97 jetta GL (JAZZ edition) with 22,100 miles on it as the third family car for our 17-year-old daughter to drive. We live in Vienna, Virginia, outside Washington,D.C. Since the car is out of the original warranty period, I want to find a good mechanic for all the routine maintenance. I've checked the yellow pages for independent garages "specializing in VW repairs," and made a list of a few. But I'd have a lot more confidence using a place if I got an enthusiastic recommendation from one of you local jetta owners out there. I don't believe the previous owner had the brake fluid replaced yet even though the car just past its two-year birthday in mid-October. He did change the oil faithfully on schedule, but we want to get the rest of the 2-year/20,000-mile service done before she puts too many more miles on the car (I noticed when I drove the car yesterday that she's put an additional 400 miles on it since we brought it home less than a month ago). I'd be forever grateful if someone could head me in the right direction.
  • tscolatscola Member Posts: 1
    99 VW Jetta TDI
    I have one word for you... GARBAGE. In fact if you are seriously considering buying one I will send you my repair bills from the last month and that ought to change your mind. I live in Wisconsin, the car is phenomenal in temps down to around 10 degrees, but once the temps dropped below that we have had nothing but problems and VW could care less. It has put on more miles behind the tow truck lately than under its own power. VW has several technical service bulletins out regarding this problem, but they can't seem to pinpoint the cause. They just tell us that it is "BAD FUEL" (the easy answer). We have tried fuel from three different reputable locations (all certified, 60/40 blend, winterized) plus we have added the antigel which VW recommends. Still having problems. Car will start fine and usually runs well for the first 15-20 minutes then dies. I could go on and on, but if anyone is interested in hearing more email me at tscola@uniontel.net and I would be happy to fill you in! Anybody want to buy a TDI?
    Tom
  • megankmegank Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 TDI with 8,000 miles on it and not any problems!! I am in Minnesota and the temps have been extremely low this past month (often below zero), it always starts. I am thrilled with the gas money I am saving!! I highly recommend the new TDI, and I couldn't even try to think of a bad thing to say about it!!!
  • mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    It sounds like you just have a lemon. There is nothing that you can say that will convince me that the TDI is not the best engine on the market. It gets 50mpg and runs like a dream! It's been below 0 a few times already here in IN this winter. Never any problems....if anything it runs better in the cold!
  • petethepilotpetethepilot Member Posts: 11
    Hello all, I'm new to this board and I posted on the other site about my problems with the TDi. I was returning to Northern Ontario from British Columbia with my niece, great niece {2and 1/2 years old} and God son. I was in the back seat snoozing at 3 am with my niece driving. The car started to sputter and then quit cold in -40 temperatures. The car was towed to Regina Saskatachewan from the Alberta/ Sask. border or roughly 240 miles. The service manager in Regina explained the problem isn't really with the TDi but with the fuel. I had added a diesel fuel cold weather additive but still had the problem. The fuel gets so cold it jells {something to due with the wax in the fuel} This causes an O ring in the fuel line check valve to pull into the fuel line and causes a blockage.
    While I was at the VW dealers in Regina 4 more TDi's came in on flat bead trucks all with the same problem. The dealer effected repairs to the check valve and sent me on my way. 5 hours later and still 5 hours from home the problem reoccurred. I managed to keep the engine running this time and limped home at 50 mph in 4th gear with the check engine light on! I figured high fuel flows in cold weather were part of the problem so I kept the speed down. I told the service manager the problem might be the fuels...but what was VW going to do take on the petro companies? I think not! I'm now looking at installing a fuel line heater just prior to the fuel filter and the offending check valve. All VW can do is effect repairs to the check valve.
    I bought the car new in April and have put 22,000 miles on it This is the only problem I have had. I love the car but I'm a little leary of highway travel in very cold weather. - 35 degrees C and below. I have forgotten to plug the car in {block heater} on a couple of occasions on very cold nights. I wait for the glow plug light to extinguish and the engine fires up in protest but runs smoothly after about 1 minute.
    I have added a Hermann tuning box. This box unlike a chip can be un/installed in minutes. It raises the torque to 197 ft/pds and hp climbs from 90 to 115. Horse power sells but it's the torque that gives the thrill. I have more torque than the VR6 and the 1.8T. Because the diesel is geared so low I installed a Neuspeed short shift kit to handle the quick shifting needed to help keep engine revs in the proper power band under hard excelleration. I also run with a K&N air filter to take full advantage of the tuning box. I have purchased some alloy wheels 17in X8 in with fat Goodyears for summer running. I run my stock steel wheels with winter treads in winter. Even after modifications my mileage is exactly the same as before. 56/57 miles/gal. imperial. I can now pass with confidence without down shifting. This is just about the perfect engine if I can sort out the cold weather problem.
  • cjhofman1cjhofman1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 wolfsburg jetta and love it but keep having some ridiculous problems. for instance, at 23k i had to have both front wheel bearings replaced, the rear power windows don't work, and now the starter at 35k is out. is this typical for this car? has anyone else had problems like these?
  • davc1davc1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 99 New Jetta GLX VR6/ I have an auto trans. I too have had that "whine" that many have complained about. Can someone send me what the dealer did to fix this. See posts from Nov.15,2000. Also, I have excessive valve noise from 2800 to 3900 rpm - intermitent though. An intake part was replaced at about 13000 miles. It seemed to work. But the noise is back. Anyone with the same problems? I am now just out of warranty. Will I get the shaft on this one? It seems that the warranty should cover it. Please respond. Thanks.
  • candreascandreas Member Posts: 3
    Since I think VW makes an excellent diesel engine and since I want the economy and longevity of a diesel powered car, I really don't have any choice other than a VW Jetta or Golf.

Seems to me, VW's two year comprehensive warranty is not adequate and may reflect relatively poor quality control in several areas. One the other hand, a 10 year powertrain warranty is quite generous and thinking logically probably reflects a good powertrain. If I buy the Jetta GLS TDI I have my eye on, I think I will have to buy the extended warranty for peace of mind.

Some specific areas are of more concern to me. Firstly the relatively poor dealership experience many posters have noted here. In my experience I dealt with very good Japanese dealers and very indifferent Chrysler and GM dealers. The dealer experience is very important to me and I'd hate to have new car problems coupled with a dealer who doesn't really care to fix them.

Secondly I live in Western Canada and cold weather is an obvious concern for a diesel car owner. I wish someone could say authoritatively if are there or are not systematic cold weather problems (say below -30 C) with the TDI engine? petethepilot's experience would seem to indicate there are. (BTW, petethepilot weren't you much closer to the VW dealer in Medicine Hat rather than the one in Regina?)

Anyone know if Canadian diesel fuel is generally any better than American diesel fuel quality? After all that's the excuse VW uses to explain why they don't make available in North America any of their other more powerful diesel engines they have in Europe.

I want a very reliable new car. I do not agree that you can expect any car to breakdown regularly. My wife's 1980 Toyota Tercel survived 17 years and 240K kms with ONE non-maintainance related repair required before we finally sold it (the wire connected to the rear window defroster broke off). My mother's 1990 Acura Integra has had precisely zero problems. Even my 97 Dodge Grand Caravan ES AWD has had only two minor problems albeit it has only 66K kms (alternator wire came off and the service engine soon sensor is faulty) though it's fuel mileage is pretty horrid which is really why I want the Jetta...
  • mohokiemohokie Member Posts: 3
    Juuuuust over 1,000 miles on my brand spankin' new 2001 GLS 1.8T Jetta.... cracked windshield at the base. (so, NOT a rock) Could be from the cold (unlikely, hasn't been below 0 degrees) or just bad installation... ah. First trip to the dealer, and I'm gonna be cranky.

Also, sometimes up a hill, the tranny will *clunk* into 3rd from 2nd. Anyone else have this, and is this a "new car break-in" problem, or something I need to complain about? The fiancee hasn't noticed it in her driving... but then again I dig the turbo a bit more. Experiences?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The service advisor at the dealership didn't make the windshield in your car, nor did he/she assemble the car. What positive outcome do you see from immediately assuming an adversarial role? Automobiles are production line products with thousands of parts, and as such there will be occasional problems with them. That's why new car dealers have service departments.