Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    9 black
    8 red
    8 blue
    7 silver/pewter
    4 gold
    4 green
    3 white

Interesting spread, especially considering black is one of my last choices when car shopping. But since I mostly buy used, color is one of the last considerations, as well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    That's my main problem with buying used, it is almost impossible to find exactly what you want if you have exacting desires.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    andres3 said:
    That's my main problem with buying used, it is almost impossible to find exactly what you want if you have exacting desires.
    You have to prioritize.  Decide what's most important.  With the Q40, price & mileage were more important to me than color.  You have to have 2 or 3 different permutations of what you want.

if you are shopping BMWs and have to have a CPO 335i M-Sport with a stick & adaptive suspension in Estoril Blue with Brown Leather with 10,000 miles or less on it you're going to be disappointed.  The m Sport and adaptive suspension are more important than color.  Make your decision from there.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    I will be reasonably flexible on color if shopping used. And the more used (iow cheaper) the more flexible.

my problem is being used to certain features that I am loath to give up. And if I stick to my guns, it will vastly limit my options, even on a CPO (the BLIS option being a biggie). I may let that go, if I otherwise love the car, and it has something passing for acceptable visibility. But I really like keyless entry (comfort? Whatever they call the "never touch your keyfob again" feature). Having to pull that out when driving the Jetta is really getting on my nerves!

I like the heated steering wheel, but not a deal breaker. Won't buy without a backup camera. So pretty much it will be BLIS being my line in the sand. So we shall see.

I keep smelling another lease though. Just makes too much sense. Maybe at Xmas the nissan dealer will be sitting on a pile of 2017 Maxima SLs, and I can S&D for $300 or less on one. That would work.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    My preferred car color is light blue. Some of the colors I don't care much for have been on used cars -- beige, silver, even 1 green one. That said, I'm really happy with my white Volt and black Encore.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    If you started buying cars in the '70s, you'll have a lot of tans and beige.

6 white
    5 blue
    4 gray
    4 black
    3 beige/tan
    2 green
    1 red

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    nyccarguy said:

Great short list you've developed from the Denver Auto Show.  I'm partial to the Infiniti on the list for obvious reasons.  Used car prices keep dropping.  You'll definitely be able to score a deal on a sweet CPO Q50 when your Jetta lease is up for sure.

I did a lot of driving yesterday.  Back and forth to work, then it was out to Long Island for my wife's uncle's wake (this is after my brother in law's funeral on Wednesday) and back home again.  I did 200 miles in the Infiniti.  The car is comfortable and so freakin fast.  I just have to nudge the throttle a little bit and the car just goes with plenty of power in reserve.  Merging and squirting through open holes in traffic is a breeze.  I'm so happy with this car.  I love it!

Bradd, I knew you'd love the Infiniti! Glad you are enjoying it, I know I keep saying it but they really are great cars and especially so considering what you paid for it.

Also sorry to hear about your wife's uncle, you all have been through enough lately.
  • Options
    I kinda like the Maxima as an option to the infiniti. As many goodies, but cheaper! Pretty sure roomier inside too, if you are into that. FWD of course, but still quite quick. And probably more economical.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291
    stickguy said:

I kinda like the Maxima as an option to the infiniti. As many goodies, but cheaper! Pretty sure roomier inside too, if you are into that. FWD of course, but still quite quick. And probably more economical.

The other big difference is that the Maxima has the CVT bolted to the engine. That's why I'd want to drive before adding it to the short list.

Did test drive a Juke a few years back, with the CVT. Wife never noticed it.

Our Subaru has a CVT, but they've programmed the transmission to make it 'feel' like a traditional automatic.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    did they switch the 6 over to CVT too? For a while that was still a slushbox.

the 4 cyl OB we drove was fine. I was paying attention for it, and didn't bother me. my wife would never notice. Same with the Accord. Just a non factor.

the Maxima probably even less so, given all the power it has. More of an issue with a little 4 banger that has to work much harder. But of course, would need a good test drive first.

• Options
    jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    I was lucky enough to get a two year old 97 Maxima as my first car. Man, that car felt fast for its time. I could also roll my windows down with the keyfob!

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    The lifetime car color list is pretty short for me:

white - 3
    dark blue - 2
    burgundy -2
    red - 2
    silver -2
    black -1
    light blue -1
    green - 1

No tans or beiges!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

did they switch the 6 over to CVT too? For a while that was still a slushbox.

the 4 cyl OB we drove was fine. I was paying attention for it, and didn't bother me. my wife would never notice. Same with the Accord. Just a non factor.

the Maxima probably even less so, given all the power it has. More of an issue with a little 4 banger that has to work much harder. But of course, would need a good test drive first.

We've got the 2015, which I think was the first year for the H6/CVT combo. It's a good powertrain - like I said, they've programmed the transmission to make it 'feel' like a traditional automatic.

And, given the power of the engine and the weight of the car, I'm not disappointed with the mileage - 20-22 in town, and we saw close to 28 on our one highway trip.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    The Murano will roll the front windows down with the keyfob, too. Nice feature when it's hot out (as is the aftermarket remote start I installed). 
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited April 2017
    One color that I noticed nobody has included on their list yet:

Yellow! I have two of those. :)

Otherwise, I'm at:

green - 2
    grey (any shade) - 4
    red (any shade) - 4
    purple - 1
    brown - 1

I think that's it. Maybe. Hahahaha.

Thinking about it, though, the "red" category is pretty liberal. This includes my Econoline (that counts twice due to two bodies) that was candy apple red, Forester that is paprika (sort of a burnt orange), Fiesta that was magenta, and Passat that was burgundy.

Red is my preferred color, followed by brown and green, then yellow and blue. Of course, exact implementation counts for a lot on any of these! White, black, and any shade between are definitely not my preference.

Edit: Oh, darn it. I guess I should include my Pinto, which was white.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I happened to look down at the odometer when I was about to back out of my parking space....

I've driven this thing nearly 7,000 miles already! In the spirit of @breld, I should probably start looking for a replacement. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I see the Engine light is still on. Has it been to the dealer yet?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    No, not yet. I was given an 800-number to call to get approval for the bridge warranty through the TDI settlement. Once I do that, then I can set up an appointment in Anchorage to have it looked at.
  • Options
    White - I
    Black - III
    Silver - III
    Blue - II
    Grey - I
    Red - II

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    edited April 2017
    Colors:

4 - White
    3 - Burgundy
    3 - Blue
    2 - Silver
    1 - Gold
    1 - Black

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    My colors in 47 years of driving:

Gold - 1
    White - 5
    Blue - 1
    Silver - 3
    Red - 1
    Black - 1
    Green - 1

Kinda sad that white & silver dominate.  Wife says her next one will be a bright color so she can find it in the parking lot.  
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I thought a CEL on a VAG product was a feature, kind of like ambient lighting :)

Cars that have been registered in my name:

Blue - 3
    Silver - 2
    Grey - 1
    White - 1
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @tjc78 commen problem with them. yes would bring it in rite away to be fixed. new jen onclave will be invaled this cumming week at the new York auto show along with the trivarse.
  • Options
    @Michaell you are welcome will be 2 years in September we have had it. got it when it first came out in 2015
  • Options
    I need to do a spreadsheet someday to keep them all straight. But I do know I had 2 yellow cars also. Duster and Gremlin. An assortment of green (a few of those), silver, a couple reds, a bunch of blues, a purple (dark iris pearl). But unless I am forgetting something, never had a black car.

• Options
    @nyccarguy sorry to hear about all of the sad news that has happened with your family prairs are with you all.
  • Options
    jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    I have a love/hate relationship with the remote roll down on my Accord. I have come out of restaurants before and found all my windows down and sunroof open because the button was hit just right. 

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

• Options
    that happened a few times on our accord and odyssey.

• Options
    jeffb0101 said:
    I have a love/hate relationship with the remote roll down on my Accord. I have come out of restaurants before and found all my windows down and sunroof open because the button was hit just right. 
    It happened to my 2011 BMW 328xi the night of a snowstorm.  I was NOT happy when I came out to the car at 6AM.

• Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    corvette said:

They really need to make I-71 between Louisville and Covington three lanes wide instead of two. The semis trying to pass each other on hills clog up traffic, as do the dimwitted drivers who won't use cruise control and can't maintain a consistent speed. Makes it very frustrating when you're trying to get back and minimize the time you take off of work.

I-71 opened sometime during 1969-1970. Prior to that one drove Route 42 between Cincinnati and Louisville. River Road was voted by truckers the worst highway in the country, twists, turns, and hills as the road followed the Ohio River. The night time alternative was I-75 to Lexington, then Route 60 to Louisville (I-64 didn't exist either).
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    nyccarguy said:
    jeffb0101 said:
    It happened to my 2011 BMW 328xi the night of a snowstorm.  I was NOT happy when I came out to the car at 6AM.
    Did I tell my horror story at Christmas time with the Enclave?  I don't think so....

Long story short I was running around on the 23rd doing food shopping and other stuff for our Xmas eve dinner, picking up the wife's bday cake etc.   It was a beautiful warm day and since my mom had the kids I opened the sunroof. Well with all chaos unloading the car I completely forgot it was open.  

Next morning it rained and I opened the blinds in the dining room and could see the roof open.  OMG.  It was bad....  I freaked out (in the middle of cooking for 30 people) and ran outside with towels.   Soaked up as much as I could and ran the heat on full blast for a few hours idling in the driveway.  Luckily everything survived and no water stains or anything.   The heavy mats absorbed most of it and the seats.  

@Marcothecarguy1986
    Yes I may have to bring it in. I do have a feeling the AC is low on freon.  Kind of upsetting with only 25k miles.  We may have an 80 degree day this week so I'll get a chance to test it out. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @tjc78 yes bring it in when you are able to. I no with sutch lo miles should not happen but it is what it is. nice the nice weather is finally hear so happy. injoy your weekand. o and sorry to hear about your hora story around Cristmes glad all worked out with that in the end.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Got to drive the GF's Escape for a bit last night. There is something about the seating position in Fords that I have a hard time adjusting to. It's a solid little trucklet. The 1.6 liter turbo engine has to work pretty hard to get the thing moving, but it's very quiet doing so, and the transmission is willing to let it rev. The infotainment is much better than what I have in the Murano. The dash seems to have a lot more air vents than most cars. :p
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2017
    Filled the BMW for the 3rd time this morning.
    959 miles in total - 26.7 MPG.
    That was all commuting & running errands,
    no opportunity to test true highway cruising MPG, yet.
    - Ray
    Did not select it for MPG, but pleased, so far -
    with this & every other aspect of the 340i...

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    @rayainsw so glad to hear you are loving your car and getting good m p g
  • Options
    @corvette yes it is an nice little S U V thinking if my mom is interested to switch things up from Nissan usally all we have bin getting over the years and Hundai to to an ford Edge we shal see.
  • Options
    also posabal G M C sumthing like that.
  • Options
    I gassed up the Jetta today. Looks like I averaged just about 23. Of course, it was almost 3 full months since the last time I got gas (and it only took 10 gallons). So no, I have not been wearing it out! My daughter gets back in 2 weeks from Ireland, and almost immediately will be taking a trip down to NC to visit her buddies at school. So in about 5 days will get a quick 1,000+ miles added. And beginning in early June she has a 10 week internship in Delaware, so she will be putting close to 100 miles/day on it. Look like will hit the 2 year mark right at about 18,000, so will have about 18K left for the final year. Should be fine with that.

• Options
    goodmorning all! hope that everyone had an good weekend. mine was good injoyed the weather did sum car cleaning for the family! the nice weather is finally hear!. have an good upcumming week all!
  • Options
    @Marcothecarguy1986 - I took the Jetta in for a full-service wash, as I am hosting out-of-town employees at a conference in the office this week. Shines up real nice.

Got to do the same for the Subaru, as well...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    rayainsw said:

Filled the BMW for the 3rd time this morning.
    959 miles in total - 26.7 MPG.
    That was all commuting & running errands,
    no opportunity to test true highway cruising MPG, yet.
    - Ray
    Did not select it for MPG, but pleased, so far -
    with this & every other aspect of the 340i...

That's about what my M235i averages around town; back in the horsepower-starved '70s who would have thought that one day you'd be able to buy a 12-second car that returned better fuel economy than the slowest subcompacts of that dismal era?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    edited April 2017
    List has all of mine since getting my license in '86 plus my wife's since marrying in '92:

5 Black
    4 Red (in varying shades)
    3 Green
    3 Blue
    1 Brown
    1 Grey
    1 Tan

I've never liked white vehicles and have never owned one, except for a company car I bought to flip and did so within a month so I don't count that one. The closest to white was the one I listed as tan. It was a cream colored '84 Skylark my dad gave me after he bought his Supra in '87. This was a strangely popular color for GM in the early 80s, usually paired with a blue or brown interior and matching vinyl roof if it had one. Mine had blue velour interior and vinyl roof. A kid today would have no idea what a vinyl roof was!

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    Just updated my list; had to add the Jetta. This goes back to the cars I drove in HS, as well as the cars owned by both 1st and 2nd wives.

Blue 5
    White 3
    Silver 3
    Burgundy 3
    Grey 3
    Beige 2
    Green 2
    Brown 1
    Royal Grey 1
    White/Gold 1
    Purple 1
    Red 1
    Pewter 1

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    lol. Forgot all about the Audi TDI. Add one silver.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    I drove a 500 Abarth over the weekend. If you haven't driven one, you really should...it is a total hoot. Base manual, no sunroof with the 17" wheels. Having driven Minis, I was surprised how not punishing the ride was. Seating position is a little weird but I got used to it pretty quickly. GRRR sounds from the (lack of) exhaust. Fun stuff. These things are pretty cheap used, FWIW. I'm sorta curious about the cabrio version.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Since 1968 -
    blue 8
    silver 4
    black 4
    red 3
    burgundy 3
    gray 2
    white 1
    green 1
    black & silver [ ‘tu-tone’ ] 1
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Red 3
    White 1
    tifighter said:

I drove a 500 Abarth over the weekend. If you haven't driven one, you really should...it is a total hoot. Base manual, no sunroof with the 17" wheels. Having driven Minis, I was surprised how not punishing the ride was. Seating position is a little weird but I got used to it pretty quickly. GRRR sounds from the (lack of) exhaust. Fun stuff. These things are pretty cheap used, FWIW. I'm sorta curious about the cabrio version.

I looked at one when they were a part of our dealer group. Tons of fun for very little money.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I might have caught on to something with my Q40. The dealership I bought it from currently has ZERO CPO Q40s in stock and ONE CPO G37x in stock.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited April 2017
    Weirdest thing - I can't for the life of me post anything on the Real-World Trade Values forum. For some reason, no problems here. So, Q, could you oblige?

In CO:

2015 BMW 428i xdrive gran coupe
    White over red leather
    M-sport
    Premium package
    Tech package
    Driver assistance package
    Heated seats
    18k miles
    No needs

Thanks!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y