Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can put a B20E head on there, an IPD camshaft--that perks them up. I'd keep the "SU" type carburetors though.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    The one I see is on stock wheels/hubcaps, and I suspect has no modern upgrades. It's a typical old Seattle car, maybe cleaner than many, cared for or it wouldn't still be on the road,.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

You can put a B20E head on there, an IPD camshaft--that perks them up. I'd keep the "SU" type carburetors though.

Can you balance those babies?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Sure---well as much as you can balance any older 4 cylinder engine. It's a good little engine--very simple and strong....well, you'd want to replace the fiber timing gears with steel ones. That's about the only weak spot I can think of. And you don't ever want the automatic transmission they came with.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I think 'balance' as in 'carb balance'...
  • Options
    texases said:

Yes, that was my reference. I just happened to see the WD ep with the PV544 that the owner garaged for 10 years because he couldn't find anyone who could properly balance the twin SUs.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I was thinking about that too. One of those things that if you know what you are doing and have the right little gadget, and some patience, it is really simple. And when you get someone with none of those 3 attributes, bad things happen.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Recent sightings - spotted the older guy commuting in an early 70s 911 I see now and then, a mildly battered 7 series Volvo, very clean late 80s Riviera, the 75-78 or so Corolla I see now and then, W123 with hubcaps, S2000 with an aftermarket hood but no fancy exhaust - quiet as a Camry.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

texases said:

Yes, that was my reference. I just happened to see the WD ep with the PV544 that the owner garaged for 10 years because he couldn't find anyone who could properly balance the twin SUs.
    They are really simple to balance...the PROBLEM is not the balance...the problem is that the throttle shafts wear out so you need to re-bush the carb body and install new shafts. Until you do that, you will never get a proper idle or fuel mixture. So now you know...you've been let into the Sacred Knowledge of SU carburetors.

Oh, and knowing your Jetting Table helps as well.

• Options
    Out in the damp today saw a dark green Karmann-Ghia, a MGB-GT (living on the edge!) and that battered but running fine W123 pizza delivery car.
  • Options
    Didn't see anything on the road today, which was unfortunate, finally a nice day here.

I took stock of some of the covered never-moving stuff in the garage where the fintail sleeps. We have: 55 Chevy sedan, 64 Pontiac convertible, ~66 Continental convertible, Avanti II, 66 Toronado, Gallardo, 90s Legend Coupe, 00s MB SL, 94-96 Impala SS.

The Toronado moved once last year. The Gallardo moves now and then, I think the same for the SL and maybe the Legend. The rest appear to have been in the same place for at least a year. I don't get it. There's also a 70s era pleasure boat and trailer there that I don't think have moved.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    Saw a late 70's 528i the other day. It was behind a mid 00's Malibu; amazing how small the BMW was in comparison.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I just wish the current 5er was a bit more like that 528i, instead of a rolling techno fest. Friend's dad bought a '79 with a manual, let me drive it, surprisingly. Great car. I looked for a used one years later, found one, but it was a beater. I rented a 2013 a couple of years ago, wasn't very impressed.
  • Options
    texases said:

I just wish the current 5er was a bit more like that 528i, instead of a rolling techno fest. Friend's dad bought a '79 with a manual, let me drive it, surprisingly. Great car. I looked for a used one years later, found one, but it was a beater. I rented a 2013 a couple of years ago, wasn't very impressed.

I had a HS girlfriend whose dad drove one; can't remember if it was a 528i or something with more oomph. His had a stick, and he used it to tow his Three Quarter Midget racer to Ascot Speedway in Gardena, CA.

For those of you wondering, a Three Quarter Midget (TQ) is a smaller version of a Sprint Car, using a 750cc motorcycle engine.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited April 2017
    Michaell said:

Saw a late 70's 528i the other day. It was behind a mid 00's Malibu; amazing how small the BMW was in comparison.

Michaell said:

I recently conducted a walk around of the G30 5 Series for our sales staff. I always throw in a bit of history for perspective and I noted that the current seventh generation 5er is a foot longer than the E12 and weighs bout 1,000 pounds more as well. My favorite 5ers were the E28 and E39; I had a 1997 535is manual that was just a wonderful car. The E39 was so good that-much to the chagrin of BMW-many enthusiasts and automotive journalists still consider it to be the benchmark.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    What sticks in my mind most about the E12 is the center exhaust location, slightly off center:

These are rare birds today even in the PNW, especially hard to find one in nice condition. I think I had a model of one when I was little.

Regarding weight, I think my W212 weighs just over 1000 lbs more than the fintail - half a ton.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    fintail said:

What sticks in my mind most about the E12 is the center exhaust location, slightly off center:

These are rare birds today even in the PNW, especially hard to find one in nice condition. I think I had a model of one when I was little.

Regarding weight, I think my W212 weighs just over 1000 lbs more than the fintail - half a ton.

Talked a friend of mine into buying a used '79 in 1985. Of course, BMWs were typically high maintenance at that time. He sold it about three years later, mostly due to the high maintenance/repair cost. Funny thing is, about 10 years later, he told me it was still the best car he had ever owned. (528i with stickshift).

It was that ugly gold/tan color that seemed to be on about 50% of BMWs at that time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited April 2017
    "Funny thing is, about 10 years later, he told me it was still the best car he had ever owned. (528i with stickshift)."

In '88 or so Car and Driver had a small article on them. According to a BMW authority they interviewed, the E12 528i was a 'best buy' in used BMWs, combining good performance and driveability.

"European Car' magazine tried to hop one up in their 'Barnyard Bimmer' series, but went overboard, with a high-power 3.5l crate engine and stiff suspension/big wheels and tires. They never got it to handle to their liking, IIRC. That trailing arm rear suspension just couldn't deal with all the upgrades, I think.
  • Options
    On the road: - 78-81 Celica, pristine as-new looking 900 series Volvo (debadged), Suzuki Esteem wagon, the same W126 300SD I see a few times a week, early 70s Dart/Valiant sedan on slotted mags.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    What looked like a nice '55 Chevy two door, in the expected white over red. I'd try for something different if I had one.

Edit - I just checked the '55 Chevy brochure, and the only one with that white over red scheme was the convertible. And the other two-tones were split top/body, not along the fender trimline as is always done now.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    The lines on this car have aged well.

I'm sure this is all the money for one of these; although a full restoration can't be that cheap.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Very nice. I wonder, why is the engine call a "Turbo-Air"? And why the wire wheel hubcaps...
  • Options
    Lovely car and yeah, you couldn't do a show restoration for the price being asked. You are buying a restoration for .50 cents on the dollar and getting the car for free.

"Turbo-Air" has always confused people. It refers to air-cooling, not turbocharging.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Meant to post this here.
    This was kind of fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f14LHl_G1R8
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Today on the road, saw a late 80s 900 Turbo, an 80s Tercel 4x4 wagon, and this was at work again this afternoon:

• Options
    tifighter said:

The lines on this car have aged well.

I'm sure this is all the money for one of these; although a full restoration can't be that cheap.

My brother did one of those Corsas over. Amateur restoration by his own admission, deserved better. He bought it locally in the late '70s, parked it in his garage for 25 years before finally taking on the resto. Did everything himself. Ran well in the end and was a gas to drive. His had nice-looking factory wheelcovers, not wires. Was white outside, black inside.

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited April 2017
    Not pristine, but it is 50 years old. Love the body color hubcaps and vent windows! Classic car plate in a Mercedes Benz Club frame

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,110
    edited April 2017
    If anybody is driving on I-70 east, from Indianapolis, or I-71 north from Columbus, on Monday the 17th and sees a turquoise '66 Studebaker on a trailer, it's mine! I'm anxious. It needs an exhaust from the manifold back, darn it, but I'm told it's the original exhaust, so I guess I can't gripe much.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RE.: "Turbo Air"--Chevy used "Turbo" to describe all of their engines in the mid-and-late sixties, I remember. "Turbo Thrift" was the six; "Turbo Fire" was most all V8's except the big blocks, and those were "Turbo Jet".
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

If anybody is driving on I-70 east, from Indianapolis, or I-71 north from Columbus, on Monday the 17th and see a turquoise '66 Studebaker on a trailer, it's mine! I'm anxious. It needs an exhaust from the manifolds back, darn it, but I'm told it's the original exhaust, so I guess I can't gripe much.

Now that would be a great catch if someone could actually get a shot of it. Not often that yuou can be certain of where and when something will be :)
  • Options
    RE.: That red '65 Corvair Corsa discussed above--the only way I could like that car better is if it were painted Evening Orchid.

I've heard over the years that there were some small improvements in the '66 Corvair over the '65, but I think the small styling details of the '65 are perfect. Not always, but I usually think the first year of a restyle is the best; after that, things got changed just to change.
  • Options
    Are you going to the big Studebaker show May 4th? Events, contests, human sacrifices! :p
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    '56 Chevy blew by me today on the freeway. So fast, I didn't get a good look at it, except it had KY historical plates, and some wider rubber. White/turquoise paint job. Looked mint, from a quick glance.

You don't see many '50s era cars blow by you, while doing 70 mph. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    And to think, that was the base model car. 250S would be model years 1966-68 in the US I think, I believe by 69 it went to 280S.
    PF_Flyer said:

Not pristine, but it is 50 years old. Love the body color hubcaps and vent windows! Classic car plate in a Mercedes Benz Club frame

• Options
    Are you going to the big Studebaker show May 4th? Events, contests, human sacrifices! :p

Indeed I am! That's the Studebaker Drivers' Club International Meet this year, earlier than normal. Only every fifth year in South Bend. Too soon for me to take the 'new' car, though--I'll be lucky to have it titled and licensed by then, yet with a new exhaust.

Again, Studebakers are being allowed to drive on the track at the old Studebaker Proving Ground, now owned by Navistar, about 15 miles west of South Bend on U.S. Route 2. I did that a couple times with my old '63, and it was great fun. It's sort of a medium-speed parade out Route 2, with folks in folding chairs along the road, waving, and the big old wrought iron gates at the proving ground were open and they waved you right in on the track. It's a banked, three-mile oval. Wonderful times.

Last time I did it, several years back, South Bend police treated us wonderfully on the drive out to the Proving Ground, blocking off people merging onto Route 2 so that we stayed together.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited April 2017
    Once every five years?! I would bend over backwards to have your "new" car ready to go by then! If you expect delivery on 4/17, you'll have a solid two weeks to get it ready to go.

May the 4th be with you! B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,688
    Spotted in the parking lot today, the ultra-elusive, 2000-05, Impala "convertible" in base level trim!

How's that for "obscure" :p
  • Options
    Even includes the snaps for the tonneau! See those on some Caddys around here.
  • Options
    Must be someone from Joisey or FL who moved.

Those are seldom seen out here, but I have seen a few, one even on a Camry.
  • Options
    I remember when I saw my first dealer information (ordering info) on the 2000 Impala. I was disappointed. The only one I would've wanted is the base car BUT with the 3.8 V6, Custom interior with split front bench, and lacy (sort-of) aluminum wheels.

That top is beyond-ridiculous!
  • Options
    Short video taken on the Studebaker Proving Ground track during the 2012 International Meet. Fun times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zUIpIizsvI
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,688
    I can recall the dealer I bought my 2000 Intrepid from as getting in a few base model Impalas with the 3.8. That dealer sold Chevies, Dodges, and Isuzus at the time. Isuzu went away, and for whatever reason they dropped Chevy and picked up Jeep/Chrysler, but then shuttered the whole showroom around the time of the Great Recession.

Those Impalas were priced pretty low too, around $19,500 I think. Even though I preferred the Intrepid, mine just had the 2.7 V-6, so I'll admit to getting a bit of buyer's remorse when I saw those 3.8 Impalas. When I had bought my Intrepid, the only Impalas they had on the lot were pretty well-loaded LS models, and they were stickering around $26-28K.
  • Options
    I remember browsing a Chevy lot with a friend back in 2001 - they had a bunch of police package Impalas on the back row. My friend went nuts over this, thinking they were for sale to the public (they had monroney stickers), called the dealer when they opened the next day (small town, closed Sunday), but no dice.

I remember one of the first ones I saw was a nicely optioned one bought by the little old lady who lives across from my mom. I think she still has it, and she has to be 90 by now.

• Options
    You need to get your car on the road so you can partake in that.

I wonder if any MBs ever drove there.

Short video taken on the Studebaker Proving Ground track during the 2012 International Meet. Fun times.

• Options

I remember when I saw my first dealer information (ordering info) on the 2000 Impala. I was disappointed. The only one I would've wanted is the base car BUT with the 3.8 V6, Custom interior with split front bench, and lacy (sort-of) aluminum wheels.

I have a similar story from when they came out. My GM-fanatical buddy and I visited the dealer one day and looked at a line of just-delivered new Impalas on the lot. We were not impressed in any way, either inside (I remember the "oak" color cloth seat upholstery being rather odious) and out (the headlight design and the use of only 2 round taillights on either side). We were standing next to one discussing that when an older sales guy came out to greet us. My buddy made a comment on the look and the taillights and the sales guy just shook his head. "They should have called it Biscayne", he told us. I had several rental versions over the years, all of them with the base engine, and was not impressed. That was the engine that always sounded ticky to me.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Posted just because-

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/6082561387.html

So this really happened?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Not all that classic but a Lumina APV aka DustBuster minivan.  Haven't seen one in a long time. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited April 2017
    tifighter said:

Posted just because-

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/6082561387.html

So this really happened?

Yes, apparently, and not just with Sevilles:

• Options

fintail said:

On the road: - 78-81 Celica, pristine as-new looking 900 series Volvo (debadged), Suzuki Esteem wagon, the same W126 300SD I see a few times a week, early 70s Dart/Valiant sedan on slotted mags.

Yesterday I saw a pretty good looking mid 80's Celica coupe. Baby blue, like my moms '84 lift back. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I saw another old Celica, this one a 86-89 liftback. Also GM oldies day - 90-93 Lumina Euro, later Corsica, early 90s Cutlass Supreme with the wraparound rear glass.

For that shorty Seville, there also might have been a convertible model, or maybe that was the one with the stretched hood.