Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,014
    andres3 said:

My mortgage has about 28.5 years left; does that count? Of course, the interest is tax-deductible!

Only if you trade houses as often as you trade cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,634
    can't believe you got that for $265/month with that little bit of $ down.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,813
    mjfloyd1 said:

xwesx said:

As for vehicle payments, etc., I think that the last payment due on my Q7 is Feb '22. I definitely will not have the car that long, though!

What is the buyback looking like for the Q7? Is it as favorable as the Passat TDI?
    If the buyback ends up being approved for the "second generation" three-liters, it is pretty solid (should net me between 12 and 20K). However, VAG basically has through the end of this year to get an emissions correction approved (this is for 2013-2015 vehicles). If they do not, then they must offer the buyback option.

Should they get approved for the emissions correction, then I'm looking at approximately $8.5K, after which I will sell the car.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    stickguy said:

That is a sharp looking truck for that lease payment.

The real question is .... does your son like driving it?

And, the other question - how much are you asking for the M3?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,389
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Yes.. he likes it.. I drove it for about 30 minutes today.. not bad.

$6500 for the M3.

Believe me, we wouldn't have been in the market for a $36K MSRP vehicle, without the lease deal. Stripper Cruze, Jetta or Civic would have most likely been the choice.. Something for around $200/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Yes.. he likes it.. I drove it for about 30 minutes today.. not bad.

$6500 for the M3.

Believe me, we wouldn't have been in the market for a $36K MSRP vehicle, without the lease deal. Stripper Cruze, Jetta or Civic would have most likely been the choice.. Something for around $200/mo.
    As the British would say, I'm gobsmacked by that deal. $265/mo for a $36K truck and $600-odd out of pocket is just amazing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,971
    4.5-hr roundtrip to our Stamford office today in the truck. Quite comfortable. No issues shooting through traffic with it, even when google maps decided I'd like a tour of NYC. 

Learned a couple of things. One: there is a sport setting and it changes the throttle DRASTICALLY. Two: it is electronically limited to 103mph (an odd number but that is where the speedo locked in). Yeah, it is a truck, but that is kinda low. I've topped that in the minivan, which weighs about the same. Even driving in a manner that shows me the top speed, the OBC says I got 20.0 mpg for the trip. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,283
    Since michaell asked for an update, I have us down for 28 punches so far this year. I think that's pretty solid!
  • Options

corvette said:

Since michaell asked for an update, I have us down for 28 punches so far this year. I think that's pretty solid!

corvette said:

And if no more cars were purchased this year, who would have the closest guess?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    The lease on the Touareg is up December 30, 2018. It just turned over 19,000 this weekend on a trip up in the mountains. I'm still under by about 4,500 miles. It will be sitting some in July while I travel for work so going to continue to keep an eye on miles but think I'll pass on buying extra.

I'm really attracted to that Tacoma lease @kyfdx got though. Totally different from the Touareg and I like the Tacoma and for $400 less per month I could live without some of the luxury.

@Michaell wonder if that lease deal is available in CO?
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Sharp looking truck @kyfdx, I actually like that color.
  • Options
    Yeah..the color is growing on me. It does look better at home, than it did on the lot. Not quite as bright.

My son will be driving it 95% of the time, so no big deal, either way. It's sporty! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    like the car above this posting all new one worth an look for mom. when it hits dealers real soon! not to big like the other one they had that also just hit dealers not to long ago.
  • Options
    @qbrozen wow nice road trip for work. glad you are loving your new truck! don't no y top sped is so lo hmm it is what it is!
  • Options
    @corvette lots of punches already wow.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,405
    edited June 2017
    @kyfdx - that's a very good looking truck. Very nice for the money. 

For us:
    2016 BMW X1 - Leased - January 2020

2016 VW GTI - Purchased - November 2018

My problem is that, like everyone else, I'm all over the board as to what will replace the GTI. Good thing I have 16 months to figure it out. 
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,974
    At Casa Sandman, we have:

2015 Audi A3 - purchased 12/1/14; title in hand.
    2015 VW Golf - purchased 12/12/14; title in hand.

For next vehicle, like the Buick Encore, BMW 328i, VW Tiguan, VW Golf GTI, BMW X1, & my fav Mini Cooper Countryman. Read the Motor Trend article today and they gave it high praise. Perfect size also. But Plan Z is just swapping the wife and buy her A3 and trade my Golf in at that time. But, right now, with just shy of 32K on the clock, still loving the Golf and just don't want to part with it even if the other half said "go for it"! It just does everything right in so many ways that just can't do it. Did some Buick Encore research earlier and it's a lot of vehicle for the money. Even saw a few on the road today and I do like...but not enough to trade now. Would definitely want a 0% interest rate next time so I don't have to fork over so much cash at signing. We just drive too many damn miles to lease to be honest.
    Will I be kicked out of the club for not wanting to buy right now? Maybe need an intervention of sorts!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    corvette said:

At least half of them by @breld! :D
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Michaell said:

And if no more cars were purchased this year, who would have the closest guess?

xwesx and stickguy both guessed 30.
  • Options
    jpp5862 said:

The lease on the Touareg is up December 30, 2018. It just turned over 19,000 this weekend on a trip up in the mountains. I'm still under by about 4,500 miles. It will be sitting some in July while I travel for work so going to continue to keep an eye on miles but think I'll pass on buying extra.

I'm really attracted to that Tacoma lease @kyfdx got though. Totally different from the Touareg and I like the Tacoma and for $400 less per month I could live without some of the luxury.

If I were to guess, I'd say yes. US Bank leases nationwide. But, would have to educate the finance guy like @kyfdx did.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,405

Michaell said:

If I were to guess, I'd say yes. US Bank leases nationwide. But, would have to educate the finance guy like @kyfdx did.

My experience in Seattle is that Toyota dealers do not have relationships with US Bank for leasing. I spoke to 3 finance managers over the weekend. 
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,634
    I'm winning? OK everyone, stop buying!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,462

qbrozen said:

4.5-hr roundtrip to our Stamford office today in the truck. Quite comfortable. No issues shooting through traffic with it, even when google maps decided I'd like a tour of NYC. 

Learned a couple of things. One: there is a sport setting and it changes the throttle DRASTICALLY. Two: it is electronically limited to 103mph (an odd number but that is where the speedo locked in). Yeah, it is a truck, but that is kinda low. I've topped that in the minivan, which weighs about the same. Even driving in a manner that shows me the top speed, the OBC says I got 20.0 mpg for the trip. 

I hope you had a nice visit to our fair city.  Where's your office here?  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    @qbrozen - did google maps send you through the Lincoln Tunnel & up the West Side Highway?

Ive found the best way to get up here from NJ is to go over the GW Bridge, Up the Henry Hudson Parkway (which becomes the Saw Mill), then east on the Cross County, & up the Hutchinson River Parkway.  You can either continue up the Hutch which becomes the Merrit Parkway in CT or cross over to 95 at exit 23.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    @sandman_6472 glad you love your car a lot! not any thing rong with that! but in hear yes you do nead an intervenchian! lol lol
  • Options
    was going to say 30 Punches as an totle! was thinking close!
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "OK everyone, stop buying! "
    A futile request - in this Forum...
    - Ray
    Never stop .........
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    edited June 2017

nyccarguy said:

@qbrozen - did google maps send you through the Lincoln Tunnel & up the West Side Highway?

Ive found the best way to get up here from NJ is to go over the GW Bridge, Up the Henry Hudson Parkway (which becomes the Saw Mill), then east on the Cross County, & up the Hutchinson River Parkway.  You can either continue up the Hutch which becomes the Merrit Parkway in CT or cross over to 95 at exit 23.

Our Stamford office is in the 1 Dock St building.

your directions are pretty much what Waze usually has me do. Google kept me on 95 way too long and I wound up on 278 to 2nd Ave before switching back to Waze, which then took me across 3rd St Bridge ...or do I have that backwards? I think so; I think maybe it was some other street and then the bridge and then 2nd ave? In any case, after crawling along for quite some time, wound up at GW after all.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,666
    edited June 2017
    kyfdx said:

Walt......OH WOW! I am liking that.....A LOT! Great buy, great deal!

I keep forgetting there's a large Toyota dealer out there on Beechmont.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,666
    kyfdx said:

Yeah..the color is growing on me. It does look better at home, than it did on the lot. Not quite as bright.

My son will be driving it 95% of the time, so no big deal, either way. It's sporty! ;)

Bright? Nah.....I LOVE bright!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    @graphicguy It's the only one semi-close to where I live.
    They are really, really low key and easy to deal with. We've never had a Toyota, because most of the dealerships suck, and TFS is a pain to lease with (IMO). This dealership has always been nice, for the few times we've been there to shop, though. Highly recommended.

I thought about really pounding the deal. I think I could have cut another $10/mo. off, with a lot of back and forth, but at that price, everyone leaves happy. (plus, I was late for dinner).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Bright? Nah.....I LOVE bright!

Does it come in Black?

• Options

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Our Stamford office is in the 1 Dock St building.

your directions are pretty much what Waze usually has me do. Google kept me on 95 way too long and I wound up on 278 to 2nd Ave before switching back to Waze, which then took me across 3rd St Bridge ...or do I have that backwards? I think so; I think maybe it was some other street and then the bridge and then 2nd ave? In any case, after crawling along for quite some time, wound up at GW after all.

Dock Street.  So you didn't venture far off 95 at all.  

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,127
    edited June 2017
    Thinking of walking away from the deal on the 2017 ATS I was offered for a bunch of reasons.

But maybe I should get this dreamboat instead.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/6145291385.html

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I'm going to vote for the ATS. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    Actually, I like the white leather with red carpeting.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,395
    kyfdx said:

Ditto.
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 460
    ab348 said:

Thinking of walking away from the deal on the 2017 ATS I was offered for a bunch of reasons.

But maybe I should get this dreamboat instead.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/6145291385.html

That is an outstanding looking 98. I think it was you who has had a few examples of those before? I'd have pegged that car for a 403 but don't remember the offerings the first year those cars were downsized. Interesting that the ad mentions split power seats when the passenger side is manual.

2024 Ram 1500 Longhorn, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

• Options
    $10k?? ummm... no.

• Options

kyfdx said:

Ditto.
    You guys have no appreciation for the joys of floating along in a car that rides like a wheelchair upholstered in creampuffs, as Tom McCahill so aptly put it. ;)

I was not serious about the 98 but it really is a beautiful example of a time gone past.

• Options
    I just broke the news to my sales guy about the no-go on the 2017 ATS. Beautiful car for sure, with the same Red Obsession paint as my 2014, but Kona Brown leather inside and it is a Premium Performance model so it has just about everything they can put on one including HUD, summer-only performance tires, magnetic ride control, all the safety nanny stuff, you name it.

The main issue is that I am going in for surgery to replace my aortic valve. I just got that news from my Cardiologist this AM with the timeline of "soon", so it probably isn't the right time for such a move. Even if it goes well you are not allowed to drive for 6 weeks after you get home. And of course I had complications last time and they are concerned about that part again. So I think it makes sense to let the lease run to the end in October and if I am feeling well then, see what my options are. I find myself drawn towards something more practical anyway. Maybe a SUV/CUV, maybe a GTI, I dunno.

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    " Even if it goes well..."
    I hope it goes VERY well !
    - Ray
    Pullin' for ya ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Yes, ab, let us know how the surgery goes! I'll be thinking about you. 
  • Options
    @ab348 - best of luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    @kyfdx - I love that Tacoma. Pretty much exactly how I'd want one - maybe the orange if I was feeling bold.

@ab348 - best of luck with the surgery.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

For us:

My problem is that, like everyone else, I'm all over the board as to what will replace the GTI. Good thing I have 16 months to figure it out. 

Now you know, with a purchase, just because the payments cease doesn't mean you have to make a move. With a lease, you have to make a decision, but with a purchase, you can maintain the status quo, and just put the extra money in a savings account.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3 said:

For us:

Now you know, with a purchase, just because the payments cease doesn't mean you have to make a move. With a lease, you have to make a decision, but with a purchase, you can maintain the status quo, and just put the extra money in a savings account.

Wish I had the discipline to get to that point. Well, maybe discipline isn't the right word. Self control is probably a better description.