Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    tifighter said:
    I have a punch to report. Just got a 2018 Mercedes Benz S450 in gray with black interior. It's loaded with every conceivable option. Has that new V6 twin turbo with 362 horsepower. I posted pictures on Members - Cars and Conversations Forum, if you are interested.
    Congrats @abacomike ! And here I just thought the Caddy test drive was a one-off...
    Thanks tifighter.  

2021 Genesis G90

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @carnaught it is doing ok! yes my favarate boddy stile for that car and old cars! to as whell and they are around but not as much as other cars! and can get parts! had it back for an few days from they shop made them take it back on Tuesday and fix the little isues that should have never bin since they had the car 2 munths so going to call today and see whats going on! just want the little things fixed and car back home! and than have to clean it up and put it away for the winter! sounds real nice not stock sounding any mor!
    @abacomike congrads on the punch! nice car!
    @corvette you are welcome glad you got every thing talking and it is working good now! and not an bad price at all for you got in the Mustang now!
    @sandman_6472 hope the jobs boath work out for you and the wife! and glad you like the new Acord!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Michaell said:
    Random question, RB. What is the reliability like on the V10 M5/6?
    Bzzztt! There are no "random" questions on this thread - you got your eye on something, q?
    Just preparing my list for next time. :b
    something like this could be an intriguing toy:
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/713104932/overview?aff=share_other

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited November 2017
    @abacomike, congrats on the punch!! More details please. Sounds awesome; enjoy!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited November 2017
    qbrozen said:

Random question, RB. What is the reliability like on the V10 M5/6?

I haven't followed E60 M5s that closely. I think that the SMG is responsible for the majority of issues(google "Red Cog of Death"). I'd find a manual(the three pedal cars were for North America only). The newer the better 2006 cars have the most problems, 2010 the least- and it's not a function of mileage or age. By 2010 a lot of fixes had been incorporated into the new cars at the factory. I'd be tempted by a 2010 with a FSH and a clean PDI.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Yeah the little bit of reading I have done mention the red cog. Thanks for the feedback. The list also includes the C5 Z06 and Challenger SRT8. So, ya know, really broad at this point. :)

Figure maybe next Spring I could put the Coronet up for sale, if I am ready to part with it, and replace with something more modern. Probably would rather stick with something that will hold its value well, though. Probably only the vette is in that category at this point. I would also keep my eyes out for a Viper, but I have my doubts those will remain in my pricerange.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

Yeah the little bit of reading I have done mention the red cog. Thanks for the feedback. The list also includes the C5 Z06 and Challenger SRT8. So, ya know, really broad at this point. :)

Figure maybe next Spring I could put the Coronet up for sale, if I am ready to part with it, and replace with something more modern. Probably would rather stick with something that will hold its value well, though. Probably only the vette is in that category at this point. I would also keep my eyes out for a Viper, but I have my doubts those will remain in my pricerange.

Welcome to my world- before I landed on my M235i I considered the following:
    Boss 302
    Camaro SS 1LE
    Cayman S
    Challenger SRT8
    Elise
    Golf R
    GTI
    Fiesta ST
    Focus RS
    Miata Club
    M3(E46)
    Mustang GT Premium Perf Pkg.
    WRX STI
    135is
    335is
    370Z NISMO

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    E60, you have to look at both the front and rear (sides aged well) and then look at the interior. Tough.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    qbrozen said:

Is a C6 Z06 out of the budget? You really need that extra 100 HP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@qbrozen that is quite the list! you have to see next spring what to do! will be hear before you no it!
    @roadburner that was also quite the list!
    kyfdx said:

Is a C6 Z06 out of the budget? You really need that extra 100 HP.
    Definitely out of budget. 0-60 in 3.9 is plenty. ;)

edited November 2017

Welcome to my world- before I landed on my M235i I considered the following: Boss 302 Camaro SS 1LE Cayman S Challenger SRT8 Elise Golf R GTI Fiesta ST Focus RS Miata Club M3(E46) Mustang GT Premium Perf Pkg. WRX STI 135is 335is 370Z NISMO
    Ooo...thank you! You just reminded me I left the Evora off my list. STi and 370z I have on there as well. EVO, too. I'm not a fan of convertibles, otherwise I'd add the Fiat (rather than the MX5).

others right now:
    z4 coupe
    TT
    e63
    XK8
    Maserati granturismo

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Z4 M Coupe. I’ve seriously considered one of those

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    kyfdx said:

Z4 M Coupe. I’ve seriously considered one of those

Was on my list too. Values have firmed up for good ones. I wanted under 50K miles, and there was one in the Bay Area at the time in Blue. Gone in a few days, and nothing else on the west coast then.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• anonymousposts1anonymousposts1 Member Posts: 18
    I had the opportunity to drive a 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 with a 7 speed manual. It was true love for the few days I drove it but I couldn’t justify a two seater with 3 kids. It was an amazing car. Handled great and was easy to drive considering the HP available. It should be on anyone’s list that is in the market for a sports car.
    @anony_posts that corvette sounds so nice!
    @tifighter that Z4M Coop sounds nice! hope down the road you will get one!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Just cleaned up the garage and the liquid the Golf leaked was orange, not green. Very odd that it just started to leak and it wasn't there last weekend so must've just happened early this week. Glad I got that notice on my dash Tuesday night on my way home. Have always said life is all about timing and again, I've been proven right. I would hope though that if a customer came in to the dealer with just over the 36K mark, most dealers would honor their warranty especially if the mileage is so close to the magical 36K. I know I would've been really pissed off if they had refused the warranty work if I had been just over!
    But just glad I had a warning and the time to take it in!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Not a bad idea to take your car in for service right before warranty expires, just in case there is something to find that you might not know about yet. Assuming they are honest enough to flag the issue and report it! and of course fix it for you.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@sandman_6472 glad all worked out for you!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Have a 4/50 with the Audi from what I've read which is great as she'll make the years before the mileage. December 2nd is the 3rd anniversary of our ownership, the Golf is December 12th, both bought in 2014. Just as I'm not ready to swap out at this juncture, she feels the same way but doubt that she'll go lux next time. Pretty sure she'll go with a Kia Forte and call it a day. She just wants her vehicle to start every time and be pretty good with petrol. And yes, she does expect BLIS and all that safety stuff no matter what. I'll be happy to have that stuff to but will insist on push button start/stop also because it's really so much of a time saver. Must admit, that Jetta loaner spoiled me last week.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@stickguy all so trew what you said above!
    @sandman_6472 nice worintee Outy gives! so she has 2 mor years to go!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited November 2017
    On paper the Forte may look attractive to your wife and it is a good car in that category. I believe she would miss the Audi more than she thinks. The A3 has the refinement that the Forte tries to convince you it has. The Audi is the better car by far.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I drove a Forte before getting the Jetta 2 years ago. It was actually pretty nice. Very well equipped. For someone like Mrs. Sandy (from what he describes) I think it would be a perfectly fine replacement, since I really doubt that she will notice the under the skin differences.

@stickguy have to look at the Kia Fortay! never sat in one eather Jen!
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited November 2017
    thanks for the congrats for the chronic-buyer-ticket-punch, folks. diesel stickshift is cool alright. my wife commented within a few minutes in the cruze "this car feels like your SS" - it was due to her increasingly refined SOTP meter and the torque+stick :) .

it's the cajun red with black interior shown in many press pics & various reviews. first red car! momentous! :} and it's grreeeat to be back in a diesel.

sephia1, my wife likes the way the cruze diesel shifts better than her sonic turbo. the sonic turbo & ratios are not so easy to handle/accel smoothly, torque curve peaky. cruze handles 10x better and is way more solid/planted/straight-track on highway.
    it's not surprising, but the cruz is a way better car overall than sonic - if you can get them for near the same price, get the cruz. the shift ratio and turbo with the 1.4L are no picnic.

shifty, that's weird about the lane-watch vs blis in the civics.

corvette, the answer to your tax history question was effectively YES as far as i know. it was never actually allowed but it was accepted/commonly-done.

michaell, is there a diesel car forum here, for owners especially? i'll put a review for the diesel cruze after a couple months ownership... what would be a good forum for owners to discuss stuff like how to properly include the gallons of DEF in the mpg calculations (I say yes, DEF meets the definition of fuel - cruze diesel won't go faster than 4 mph without it!)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    So @qbrozen, what do auction/trade values look like on something like this? :)

2016 V60 Polestar

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

Just cleaned up the garage and the liquid the Golf leaked was orange, not green.

VW's coolant used to be a pink/purple color, which might look orange.

@elias Thanks for the historical tax info. I'm 35, so it's so weird to me looking through all these old documents how, up through the 1950s and 60s, you had an account with your regular local merchants, and didn't pay when you got groceries, etc. They just sent you an invoice at the end of the month. My relatives had a Gulf account (which apparently worked nationwide) and would almost always refuel at Gulf stations when they were traveling. They'd get a statement at the end of the month.

It's also amazing how frequent auto repairs were back then. There were usually about six repair tickets per year for my great-uncle's 1953 Plymouth coupe, for things like points, a valve job, various gaskets (which implies it was leaking fluids), etc. That doesn't include regular maintenance like oil and lube, tires, etc. Reminds me of the BMW 540i I owned! :D
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    In the '60s my dad had a little plastic credit card folder in the glove compartment with gas company credit cards in it. He had a bunch - Esso, Shell, Texaco, Fina, Gulf, Irving, pretty much all of those that operated locally. Of course back then there was no MasterCard or Visa (originally called Chargex up here).

I know that when I started working I had a few of those myself.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    elias said:

thanks for the congrats for the chronic-buyer-ticket-punch, folks. diesel stickshift is cool alright. my wife commented within a few minutes in the cruze "this car feels like your SS" - it was due to her increasingly refined SOTP meter and the torque+stick :) .

it's the cajun red with black interior shown in many press pics & various reviews. first red car! momentous! :} and it's grreeeat to be back in a diesel.

sephia1, my wife likes the way the cruze diesel shifts better than her sonic turbo. the sonic turbo & ratios are not so easy to handle/accel smoothly, torque curve peaky. cruze handles 10x better and is way more solid/planted/straight-track on highway.
    it's not surprising, but the cruz is a way better car overall than sonic - if you can get them for near the same price, get the cruz. the shift ratio and turbo with the 1.4L are no picnic.

shifty, that's weird about the lane-watch vs blis in the civics.

corvette, the answer to your tax history question was effectively YES as far as i know. it was never actually allowed but it was accepted/commonly-done.

michaell, is there a diesel car forum here, for owners especially? i'll put a review for the diesel cruze after a couple months ownership... what would be a good forum for owners to discuss stuff like how to properly include the gallons of DEF in the mpg calculations (I say yes, DEF meets the definition of fuel - cruze diesel won't go faster than 4 mph without it!)

Try here:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/10443/general/x/what-would-it-take-for-you-to-buy-a-diesel-car#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

breld said:
    So @qbrozen, what do auction/trade values look like on something like this? :)2016 V60 Polestar
    Quite rare, as you might imagine. Only 2 have gone across in the past 6 months. Both had 15k and both got $35,xxx. The rarity makes retail value tough. Someone may want it that bad. I'd say $40k is MORE than fair.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited November 2017
    Bump
    @elias you are welcome man! nice color you got on that croze my favorate color than blue. the new Toyota camory has an nice blue I like crushed sum thing cant remember the ful name of it has an nice shade of parple in it!
    @breld nice Pol Stare Valvo! might that be the next punch? do any car looking this weekend?
    qbrozen said:
    breld said:
    So @qbrozen, what do auction/trade values look like on something like this? :)2016 V60 Polestar
    Quite rare, as you might imagine. Only 2 have gone across in the past 6 months. Both had 15k and both got $35,xxx. The rarity makes retail value tough. Someone may want it that bad. I'd say $40k is MORE than fair.
    Thanks for the quick response.  That’s not surprising based on what kbb is saying, but man the dealers sure are asking for the moon.  The $48k listed price on this one is right in line with all others listed nationwide.

@breld nice Pol Stare Valvo! might that be the next punch? do any car looking this weekend?
    Hmm - could be if they got realistic on the asking price, but who knows!

We looked at wagons today - a 328 and some Volvos.

to replace what? The Durango?

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    stickguy said:

Idea for new soap opera for this forum: "As the breld Turns" :p
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:
    Nope. :wink:

i saw @breld and @jpp5862 on Saturday for cars and coffee. We talked about future plans....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited November 2017
    ab348 said:

. . . back then there was no . . . Visa (originally called Chargex up here).

BankAmericard down here. I had both when I was moving back and forth across the line in those days.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Nope. :wink:

i saw @breld and @jpp5862 on Saturday for cars and coffee. We talked about future plans....

I had to go back and look at the current fleet. Hard to keep up with that!

2017 Durango R/T - 2017 Civic Type R - 2016 MB GLC300 - 2012 Mini Hardtop

So, let's see. Made no sense functionally to be the Durango. And a big stretch to dump the R already, and this is certainly not a toy like that. SO that leaves Mrs. E. Tired of the GLC already? Because that is the only car it would be a logical replacement for. Replacing the Mini would just create a redundancy.

Unless of course, just adding to the fleet!

I'd maintain the suspense, but yes, it would be a replacement for the GLC. She's not "tired" of the GLC by any means, but she does love a wagon, and craves something with a bit more character. And we've admired the polestar V60s, particularly in the rebel blue, since they came out. But new, they were certainly not in the price range we'd consider. So...since this came up locally, we're at least considering it.

It's a longshot unless they come way down in their listed price to something more reasonable compared to the auction values, but the interest is strong enough to make a call tomorrow.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I’ve been stalking the V60 Polestar for a bit; I’ve never seen one listed at $40k. I’d want the 6 cyl personally, but the reviews of the newer 4 cyl have been positive.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

breld said:
    I'd maintain the suspense, but yes, it would be a replacement for the GLC. She's not "tired" of the GLC by any means, but she does love a wagon, and craves something with a bit more character. And we've admired the polestar V60s, particularly in the rebel blue, since they came out. But new, they were certainly not in the price range we'd consider. So...since this came up locally, we're at least considering it. It's a longshot unless they come way down in their listed price to something more reasonable compared to the auction values, but the interest is strong enough to make a call tomorrow.
    Remind me how long poor Mrs Breld has been forced to endure the GLC?