Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,282
    stickguy said:
    wait, Jack in the Box still exists? I thought they were out of business.
    Nope; still pretty common out west. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

akirby said:
    Steak N Shake has steak burgers (thus the name).
    They exist here in Colorado, but I’ve never been. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Michaell said:

akirby said:

Steak N Shake has steak burgers (thus the name).

They exist here in Colorado, but I’ve never been. 

The best chocolate milkshakes!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I’d put them above Wendy’s but below Five Guys.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Steak 'n Shake has real ice cream milkshakes and very finely cut French fries. Five guys has peanuts and fries that still have some skin on them. Another chain, Culvers uses custard for their ice cream treats. Oh the choices :p
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    I can feel myself getting fat just reading this thread.

We used to go to 5 guys occasionally. Pretty much not been on our diets since we went healthy. But every once in a while might go for a splurge. The fries, they are good. But get way too many!

Never been to shake shack but some people swear by it. I am not big on milk shakes, but my wife likes them.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    akirby said:

I’d put them above Wendy’s but below Five Guys.

I love Five Guys! The best burgers! But they don’t make milkshakes.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited November 2017
    I got a milk shake at a Five Guys in Florida, but it was out of one of those machines like Dairy Queen or McDonalds. Wasn't bad, but if I'm going to waste the calories I prefer real ice cream, or at least custard. Now I'm getting hungry! btw, I haven't been to a Shake Shack either, but someone said they don't make real ice cream milk shakes either. Anyone know for sure?

Midsized cars - oh I believe I had a Sonata rental that trip ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited November 2017
    While in Kansas City the Mrs. and I had Steak n' Shake in our occasional rotation. Little pick 'em up stick french fries which were fairly good if hot, but the burgers were really good. 

Culver's was also there and they have a butter burger that was delish. 

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I don't like the Steak n shake fries - too thin. Never seen a Five Guys with a shake or ice cream machine - that must be a one off. Only downside to 5 guys is my wife doesn't eat beef or hot dogs so I pretty much have to go by myself.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Just read on autoblog.com that the 2018 Mazda6 is getting the 2.5T from the CX-9 among some other updates. Will be at the LA show. 310 lbs torque should be very satisfying.
    Is the Fusion Sport the most powerful non luxury midsized sedan? 325 hp, 380 lb/ft at 3000 RPM.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,092
    m6user said:

Just read on autoblog.com that the 2018 Mazda6 is getting the 2.5T from the CX-9 among some other updates. Will be at the LA show. 310 lbs torque should be very satisfying.

Oh my... the auto journos will wet their pants in glee. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    m6user said:

Make it AWD with a default 50/50 torque split and I'd seriously consider one.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

m6user said:

I could live with FWD.

My question is - will it be available with a stick shift?

The one complaint I had when I test drove the 6 a few months back was the lack of get up and go - this engine would certainly solve that problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

m6user said:

All the time or as needed? I don't think you're going to get full time AWD out of a transverse setup. The AWD components aren't built to take that much torque for extended periods. Ford's AWD system on the Fusion Sport can send almost 100% torque to the rear as needed for short periods. And it anticipates wheel spin and shifts torque before slippage occurs. I think that's as close as you're going to get in a non luxury midsized sedan.
    All the time; as much fun as my MS3 was, I'm one and done with FWD. I prefer RWD, but I'd consider a car with a 50/50(or better yet, 40/60) default torque split. A part-time rear axle wont cut it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

All the time; as much fun as my MS3 was, I'm one and done with FWD. I prefer RWD, but I'd consider a car with a 50/50(or better yet, 40/60) default torque split. A part-time rear axle won't cut it.

edited November 2017
    I doubt that 6 will have AWD. Stick is possible since Mazda is one of the last hold outs on that.

Still funny to read engine comments. Every review has the 6 at the head of the 4 cylinder class in acceleration. They don’t have an optional big motor, which few peopl3 buy anyway in the competition.

All the time; as much fun as my MS3 was, I'm one and done with FWD. I prefer RWD, but I'd consider a car with a 50/50(or better yet, 40/60) default torque split. A part-time rear axle wont cut it.

Subaru might be your only option outside of luxury brands such as Audi, etc.
  • akirby said:

If you want more ground clearance/taller seating and higher rooflines you should probably be looking at a crossover.

Or a half crossover like the Honda Crosstour (shuddering)or the 3 series GT
  • ab348 said:

Civic seems designed for short folks.

More like the over-caffeinated teen driver and his or her cronies. I love the Touring model. Dual exhaust tucked up under the fairing is a classy departure from giant exhaust pipes on 130 hp (avg) Civics of yore with a hole cut in the fairing, then enlarged for giant exhaust tip and low restriction muffler that made the engine sound like a swarm of bees/wasps/angry horseflies.
  • brian125 said:

2018 Interior spec's.....1- Accord 2- Camry 3- Elantra 4- Forte 5- Civic 6- Cruze 7- Corolla 8- Sentra 2017/ 18

H/Rm............. H/Rear........L/R...........S/R
    1-37.5..............37.2...........42.3...........58.3
    2-38.3..............37.3...........42.1...........57.7
    3-38.8...............38.0..........42.2...........56.2
    4-39.1...............37.3..........42.2...........56.1
    5-36.5...............34.5..........42.3...........56.9
    6- 38.9..............37.3..........42.0...........54.9
    7-38.3...............37.1..........42.3...........54.8
    8-39.4...............36.7..........42.5...........54.7

2018 Ford Fusion............39.2......37.8......44.3.........57.8
    2018 Sonata ...................40.4......38.0......45.5.........57.9

And the Malibu?
    And the Optima; but since it is a Sonata in disguise, mostly on the exterior; I think the Sonata specs and the Optima will be super-similar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    Michaell said:

berri said:

So what is the Jack in the Box ribeye burger? B)

oooo .... good one, @berri

can't really think of a brand that splits the difference between the two.
    It is an Accord Sport Burger......2012-2014 version. B)
  • berri said:

It is an Accord Sport, 2.4 non turbo version with a Stick The stick is molded from the bone-in rib-eye remains.
  • ab348 said:

m6user said:

Oh my... the auto journos will wet their pants in glee. :p
    So will I. I think that Mazda can tune a suspension into Heaven, but w/o any "Zoom" from the engine compartment to use it with; (as always) like the 185HP 2.5 in the Maz6. How would that have made me want to trade in my Optima with more HP and a bit more lb/ft?
    SO HAPPY THE 6 WILL GET SOME ZOOM!
  • Michaell said:

stickguy said:

There are none here in VA, never seen a Carls JR either...but there used to be Hardee's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    stickguy said:

might have been the V6. Only other option to the 2.4L NA 4 banger. And yes, Toyota does put low profile rubber on the SE, even with the base engine.

NAHH, as for the V6, there would have been quad tips. The car I saw had two exhaust tips on the right side...not "dual exhaust"which to me means a pipe on the left and one on the right. Also, badging would have been XSE..or XSR...something like that. No matter what, it appeared aggressive and of high quality. I was 3 feet from it with my window down. There WAS a pre - molded spot for dual tips on the right side...and have read of the V6 models 306 HP. That is SERIOUS power from a once reliable but BORING Camry. (some past V6 models excluded).
    cski said:
    stickguy said:
    There are none here in VA, never seen a Carls JR either...but there used to be Hardee's.
    Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. have the same corporate ownership now. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    cski said:

Michaell said:

berri said:

oooo .... good one, @berri

can't really think of a brand that splits the difference between the two.
    It is an Accord Sport Burger......2012-2014 version. B)
    The new Sport 2.0L version is very pricey!
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    cski said:

ab348 said:

More like the over-caffeinated teen driver and his or her cronies. I love the Touring model. Dual exhaust tucked up under the fairing is a classy departure from giant exhaust pipes on 130 hp (avg) Civics of yore with a hole cut in the fairing, then enlarged for giant exhaust tip and low restriction muffler that made the engine sound like a swarm of bees/wasps/angry horseflies.
    So I got to ask, what makes a horsefly angry? What makes them happy?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

cski said:

ab348 said:

So I got to ask, what makes a horsefly angry? What makes them happy?
    I would have to go with:

1. Horses make a horsefly happy
    2. Lack of horses make them angry

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Horse feathers; horse flies always seem angry B)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    My local Honda dealer is already advertising c. 2k off of msrp for all 2018 Accords. That's a little faster than I thought.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    saw and sat in a 2018 Accord today. Nice looking in person. Very roomy. Interior styling was fine. Overall, I liked it a lot better than the Camry (this is without driving either one).

stickguy said:

saw and sat in a 2018 Accord today. Nice looking in person. Very roomy. Interior styling was fine. Overall, I liked it a lot better than the Camry (this is without driving either one).

About time you had a chance to finally sit in one.

What trim level was it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Sport. 1.5t. Nice enough. Did not like how the console poked into my knee, but the interior seemed nice. Actually found the 2017 a bit more comfortable seating position.

i do need to drive one eventually. And a CRV. Always impressed when I sit in one. Possibly wife’s next ride.

stickguy said:

i do need to drive one eventually. And a CRV. Always impressed when I sit in one. Possibly wife’s next ride.

Especially if Honda decides to add the 2.0T engine to the mix.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    @stickguy,
    Not sure if your wife is going to like going form an RDX to a CR-V.
    My wife has only gone up the ladder, 2004 Escape Limited, 2009 Limited, 2013 Titanium, 2016 Lincoln MKC.
    When she got the 2009, the 2004 was passed on to our oldest. When she got the 2013, 2004 went from #1 to #2 and #1 got the 2009. When she got the 2016, the 2013 went to #2.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    she will get distracted by all the neat new features that she doesn't have now. Won't notice a few less HP.

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    all this talk about food mmm want an birger now but so early in the morning!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The Italians eat ice cream for breakfast. You have to overcome your cultural restraints.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,985

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    @ab348,
    If anyone would do that, you think it would be Honda because the Accord is, I believe, a NA only product.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I'm not sure it would mean US Toyota production workers lose their job. Plant can be converted to Highlanders where there is greater markup and more demand.
    I thought a big part of the reason to have the local plants was a hedge against currency fluctuations. Might be cheaper now to do in Japan, but that could change quickly.

stickguy said:

I thought a big part of the reason to have the local plants was a hedge against currency fluctuations. Might be cheaper now to do in Japan, but that could change quickly.

Plus, it was to circumvent the import restrictions of the 80's.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited November 2017
    You'd probably have to have some insight into the fixed cost structure of the plant and facility to really analyze it all. That would be a tipoff toward how many shifts are essential to cover them on top of variable costs. The Kentucky facility is probably too large to be an attractive sale to another manufacturer these days. I still think the ultimate outcome will not be a closing, but a question of how many shifts and what product mix. At the end of the day, Trump and the feds will have no real impact on it all. Nafta ending will likely increase car prices for US buyers, but the company impacts will be much larger on the auto sector vendors. Now outright trade restrictions would impact, but would likely be met with retaliatory measures that would disproportionately affect red states, especially the agriculture interests.