Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @driver100 don't read much at all but might have to read that on autio!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    stickguy said:

that is what the internet is for. If it bothers you that much, put it back in the package and return it.

Nah, then I'd be one of "those" people that buy a $1000 tv and then return it after the super bowl.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,876
    driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

How can you all say that cable is dying?  Homes still need internet and with kids you need all the entertainment you can get.  

We have a top tier package with Comcast, Netflix, and Amazon prime.   Comcast allows you to login to Netflix accounts and stream right through their interface. 

As much as we stream stuff I don’t think I could give regular cable for mews and sports.  

Subscription numbers for cable are dropping. Many millennials are not watching regular TV. They also don't read newspapers. Another thing many don't have any more is a landline phone. And, many of them don't care about cars.
    My son and his wife don't have cable. They watch what they feel like watching at the time.

Someone delivers a newspaper to their house in a plastic bag. He doesn't know why. Every time I am there he picks up the bag and throws it in front of his garage and puts them all in the trash on trash day.

They do not have a land line. Never did.

His cars since graduating college are: BMW, Acura, VW GTI, and Land Rover. That's one thing he does have; an interest in cars.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    I'm older than a millennial, just younger than a typical Xer. I've never had a landline in my name. I've been slowly cutting back with thoughts to cutting the cable cord - the Fire Stick has pushed me along that journey. I've noticed that mentioning you want to cancel easily gets a better price offer these days - Comcast/Xfinity knows things are changing, and is trying to keep up - eventually internet + basic cable will cost the same as internet alone not long ago. Never had a paper newspaper subscription, but I read some online.

I think a certain contingent of younger people have never been into cars, no matter their generation - they see it as transport, and if they live in an area with transit, don't see the need. This is how Camrollas and their CUV equivalents sell, not to mention cheaper cars. But I think plenty of younger people still have some interest, either for function or status.

I have a Harmony One Plus remote from nearly 10 years ago that I still use (finally had to replace the battery last year) - going to be hard to move on from that thing, but I notice the free Comcast remotes have virtually the same functionality now. I can control the Fire Stick with my phone.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    driver100 said:
    How can you all say that cable is dying?  Homes still need internet and with kids you need all the entertainment you can get.  

We have a top tier package with Comcast, Netflix, and Amazon prime.   Comcast allows you to login to Netflix accounts and stream right through their interface. 

As much as we stream stuff I don’t think I could give regular cable for mews and sports.  
    Subscription numbers for cable are dropping. Many millennials are not watching regular TV. They also don't read newspapers. Another thing many don't have any more is a landline phone. And, many of them don't care about cars.
    Cable TV maybe..... but the most assessable internet is through the cable company.   Comcast has nothing to worry about.  

Can’t stream TV without internet.....

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Our son convinced me that we HAD to have an X Box so I bought one that he hooked up. I have no idea how to play a DVD on it so our library of CD's sits unused now. I have never used the X Box.
    Comcast’s new remotes are Bluetooth for the cable box portion. Very handy.  

The setup is also done through the cable box so it’s easy to set the remote up to turn the TV on and off but control your receiver for volume.  

I had a Harmony for a long time. Also had the Medius (before Harmony came out) both great units. 

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

driver100 said:

(I am getting as bad as JM with long posts......next one will be shorter)

BZZZZT! 286 words. Penalty box.
    There are always exceptions..., but only if it is entertaining and informative.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Wow what a scam.

Got the remote at Wally World for 10 bucks but what I realized is you're really paying for the little sheet of codes that come with the instructions. If I had the codes I could have use one of the old remotes laying around. Next time I'll just look them up on line.

Lesson learned.

Yeh, you could have saved 10 bucks :s

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

Cable TV maybe..... but the most assessable internet is through the cable company.   Comcast has nothing to worry about.  

Can’t stream TV without internet.....

Phone companies can provide internet too. I think cable companies are worried, they may provide internet service, but the people paying for cable TV are dropping off.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    Congrats @abacomike!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    nyccarguy said:
    Congrats @abacomike!
    Thanks, Bradd.  The kid earned this because of all his hard work.  

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

(I am getting as bad as JM with long posts......next one will be shorter)

BZZZZT! 286 words. Penalty box.
    There are always exceptions..., but only if it is entertaining and informative.
    And that's why I haven't been thrown off this site. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    abacomike said:

I haven’t been this happy or this excited in years. :smile:

I'll go with the happy part, not so much with the excited. Either way, congrats to you, the boy and his father. It's wonderful when your progeny do well.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I'll go with the happy part, not so much with the excited. Either way, congrats to you, the boy and his father. It's wonderful when your progeny do well.
    Thanks, cdn, it does feel good!

2021 Genesis G90

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Congrats, @abacomike!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Congrats, @abacomike!
    Thanks, FF, appreciate the acknowledgement 

2021 Genesis G90

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Big game tonight in Seattle. Eagles v Seahawks. I almost bought seats but they were a small fortune for what would likely end up with me getting my rear beat for showing up in my Eagles gear. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    abacomike said:

YES!  He made the decision to go to that university - YEAH ;) 

Just got a call from my son in California.  My grandson just called the baseball coach in Nebraska and verbally accepted the university’s offer.  The coach said he will send the Letter of Commitment to him tomorrow.  All he has to do is sign it and my son has to co-sign it and send it back.  

My grandson is going to college.  According to my son, it will cost him $2000 a year after the remaining scholarship is assigned (the one from his mother’s company).

Good news! Thanks for sharing! We all need good news!

Big game tonight in Seattle. Eagles v Seahawks. I almost bought seats but they were a small fortune for what would likely end up with me getting my rear beat for showing up in my Eagles gear. 

Ah, that wouldn't have been a smart thing to do!

Just got a call from my son in California.  My grandson just called the baseball coach in Nebraska and verbally accepted the university’s offer.  The coach said he will send the Letter of Commitment to him tomorrow.  All he has to do is sign it and my son has to co-sign it and send it back.  

My grandson is going to college.  According to my son, it will cost him $2000 a year after the remaining scholarship is assigned (the one from his mother’s company).

Good news! Thanks for sharing! We all need good news!
    It does help, isell- the good news I mean! :smile:

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    abacomike said:

Congrats, BUT, I'm pretty sure you had a "senior moment" about the excitement thing. I seem to remember a few weeks ago you were very excited when you got the S450 or did I read you wrong? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    edited December 2017
    Congrats to you and your family, Mike.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

jmonroe said:

Congrats, BUT, I'm pretty sure you had a "senior moment" about the excitement thing. I seem to remember a few weeks ago you were very excited when you got the S450 or did I read you wrong? :o jmonroe
    Jmonroe,  there’s excitement. excitement and then there’s EXCITEMENT!  This news about my grandson’s was EXCITING!!!   :D

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:
    Congrats to you and your family, Mike.
    Thanks ab.

2021 Genesis G90

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Yes, Mike, that is fantastic. Congratulations ! An added perk for you if that you will have the excuse to buy a few more new cars and wear them out driving all over the country to see your grandson play baseball. I can't think of a better way to spend your golden years.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Congratulations Mike. That's great news.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    @abacomike -congrats on your grandson. That is fantastic news. Let's hope he can adjust to the winters in Nebraska. Keep us appraised - sounds like he might be a candidate for the MLB draft in a few years (or sooner).

My nephew is doing very well on his HS Football team. While his team had their playoff run cut short this year, he was the only player on his team to be nominated for 1st team all league on the defense, and he was recently named Defensive MVP for the team.

And, he's only a junior.

My sister and BIL are hoping he can score an athletic scholarship to a Div I-AA (now FCS, apparently) school. Division I (FBS) is possible, depending on how he does his senior year. Ideally, he'd like to attend a service academy - Navy or Air Force are his preferences.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

Congrats, BUT, I'm pretty sure you had a "senior moment" about the excitement thing. I seem to remember a few weeks ago you were very excited when you got the S450 or did I read you wrong? :o

jmonroe
    Mike always has great excitement in his life, never a dull moment. In about the last year he has been through hurricanes, medical procedures, a few new cars, damage to his new cars through no fault of his own, new TV, and a naked guy needing his help and now a grandson on the verge of becoming a professional baseball player.

Never a dull moment for Mike....congratulations. Positive exciting news is best!

abacomike said:

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

Jmonroe,  there’s excitement. excitement and then there’s EXCITEMENT!  This news about my grandson’s was EXCITING!!!   :D

Yeh, a new car comes every 6 months.......pro baseball players are rare!

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

Yeh, a new car comes every 6 months.......pro baseball players come once in a lifetime

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    I'm not a football fan but for some unknown reason, my 7-yr-old decided he is. What makes it worse, although I was raised a Philadelphia fan, he has chosen to be a Giants fan. :(
    He has requested for his upcoming bday that I take him to a game. Luckily, with their awful record, I was able to find a pair of first-level 11th row tix including parking pass for $150. Game is the last of the regular season, 12/31 at 1pm.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    Smart kid you got there Q!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited December 2017
    driver100 said:
    jmonroe said:

Congrats, BUT, I'm pretty sure you had a "senior moment" about the excitement thing. I seem to remember a few weeks ago you were very excited when you got the S450 or did I read you wrong? :o jmonroe
    Yeh, a new car comes every 6 months.......pro baseball players come once in a lifetime
    This is true.  There are scouts from 2 major league teams already appearing at his high school games with scopes.  They are not permitted to talk directly to my grandson or my son - but they have already had several discussions with the high school coach.  These are exciting times.

2021 Genesis G90

houdini1 said:
    Yes, Mike, that is fantastic. Congratulations ! An added perk for you if that you will have the excuse to buy a few more new cars and wear them out driving all over the country to see your grandson play baseball. I can't think of a better way to spend your golden years.
    Thanks houdini.  But I don’t think i’ll Be driving 1700 miles to see one of his games - not with my health.  Now flying Southwest Airlines might be a possibility for championship games.

2021 Genesis G90

venture said:
    Congratulations Mike. That's great news.
    Thanks venture!

2021 Genesis G90

Michaell said:
    @abacomike -congrats on your grandson. That is fantastic news. Let's hope he can adjust to the winters in Nebraska. Keep us appraised - sounds like he might be a candidate for the MLB draft in a few years (or sooner). My nephew is doing very well on his HS Football team. While his team had their playoff run cut short this year, he was the only player on his team to be nominated for 1st team all league on the defense, and he was recently named Defensive MVP for the team. And, he's only a junior. My sister and BIL are hoping he can score an athletic scholarship to a Div I-AA (now FCS, apparently) school. Division I (FBS) is possible, depending on how he does his senior year. Ideally, he'd like to attend a service academy - Navy or Air Force are his preferences.
    Thanks Michaell!

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    qbrozen said:

I'm not a football fan but for some unknown reason, my 7-yr-old decided he is. What makes it worse, although I was raised a Philadelphia fan, he has chosen to be a Giants fan. :(
    He has requested for his upcoming bday that I take him to a game. Luckily, with their awful record, I was able to find a pair of first-level 11th row tix including parking pass for $150. Game is the last of the regular season, 12/31 at 1pm.

Poor devil. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    He asked me why I despise the NY teams and I explained it is because they feel NJ is apparently good enough to have their stadium in but not good enough to have as part of their team name. Traitorous, shallow bastards, the lot of them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @abacomike so happy to hear the news! Mike congrads to yiour grand sun and your family!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    qbrozen said:

He asked me why I despise the NY teams and I explained it is because they feel NJ is apparently good enough to have their stadium in but not good enough to have as part of their team name. Traitorous, shallow bastards, the lot of them.

More information than you'll likely want on the subject

Turns out there were several teams that used both "New York" and "New Jersey" in their team name:

1991 - The World League of American Football franchise playing at Giants Stadium gets a name that’s a mouthful: The New York/New Jersey Knights.

1997 - Major League Soccer begins play, and the franchise playing its home games at Giants Stadium takes a cue from the defunct WLAF Knights, dubbing itself the New York/New Jersey MetroStars.

2001 - Like the Knights and MetroStars before them, the XFL franchise playing at Giants Stadium references two states in its name and takes the field as the New York/New Jersey Hitmen.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Echoing what the others said, big congrats @abacomike

To get started on a Monday morning......here were some additions to Murphy's Law...these were the best:

* Flashlight: A case for holding dead batteries.

* . God gave you toes as a device for finding furniture in the dark.

One for roadburner;

*. When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of twelve people, who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    @qbrozen - we are Giants fans in my house.  My kids have been begging me to take them to a game for a long time.  It is just a whole day hassle.  For a 1:00 pm game, I have to leave my house at 10:00 - 10:30 am and wouldn't get home until 6:30 - 7:00 pm.  And that's before the hefty price of admission, souvenirs, food, & drink.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    nyccarguy said:

@qbrozen - we are Giants fans in my house.  My kids have been begging me to take them to a game for a long time.  It is just a whole day hassle.  For a 1:00 pm game, I have to leave my house at 10:00 - 10:30 am and wouldn't get home until 6:30 - 7:00 pm.  And that's before the hefty price of admission, souvenirs, food, & drink.

+1

Both kids have gone to games with my dad who is a season ticket holder but I don't care much to go for all the reasons you outline.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    @abacomike - that's awesome, congratulations to you and your family. It must be very rewarding to see his hard work pay off like it has.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    Qbrozen fixed his microwave. I fixed my garage door infrared sensors this weekend on my 25-year old Genie. Door wouldn't go down. Tried reaiming the sensor beam. No joy. Unwired one sensor and held it 1 inch from the other--still didn't sense the beam. Tried reconnecting the plugs on the sender (2) and the receive (1). No joy. Kept repeating and noticed they eventually made contact and unit worked. I had seen that the prongs for the plugs appeared oxidized, like aluminum oxides. Oiled. Works.

Shopping to buy cheap modern replacements that are redesigned and don't use plugs but are hard wired from Genie. That tells me Genie has had lots of problems in past with contacts on plugs they used so they switched to screws to secure the contact.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Y’all been busy while I was gone. Had to skip to the end as there were 50 some odd pages of posts. Skimmed a few.....

@iluvmysephia1 ...tough luck on your plan to buy the Toyota. Personally? If your wife doesn’t drive, she gets no say. ‘Nuff said. Not sure if she works outside the home or not. But, if not...again, no say in the matter!

Then again, I’m single. So, what do I know?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    qbrozen said:

Great googally moogally! You try to raise them right...