Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    the point is that people drive differently. A good example is how many cars shift into top gear ASAP, and avoid downshifting at all costs. That can work on the EPA treadmill, but in real life, people need to actually move on occasion so bury the pedal to make it downshift.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    stickguy said:

the point is that people drive differently. A good example is how many cars shift into top gear ASAP, and avoid downshifting at all costs. That can work on the EPA treadmill, but in real life, people need to actually move on occasion so bury the pedal to make it downshift.

Of course. I think the EPA tests should be done with E-10 instead of pure gasoline and should accelerate more rapidly to better match real world conditions. But there will always be a lot of variation no matter what you do.

I would prefer to see a range with the current EPA test being the top of the range. Then do another test with E-10, lots of idling and fast acceleration to provide a "worst case" scenario for the bottom of the range.

Of course no matter what you do someone will complain.

Something else I notice that affects fuel economy is coasting or lack thereof. On vehicles with deceleration fuel shut off you have to get your foot completely off the accelerator. Just keeping a little pressure on it even as you're slowing down for a red light, etc. prevents it from kicking in. Drives me crazy when my wife sees traffic stopped 1/4 mile ahead and stays on the gas until she has to hit the brakes. I take my foot off immediately and coast.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    akirby said:

stickguy said:

Of course. I think the EPA tests should be done with E-10 instead of pure gasoline and should accelerate more rapidly to better match real world conditions. But there will always be a lot of variation no matter what you do.

I would prefer to see a range with the current EPA test being the top of the range. Then do another test with E-10, lots of idling and fast acceleration to provide a "worst case" scenario for the bottom of the range.

Something else I notice that affects fuel economy is coasting or lack thereof. On vehicles with deceleration fuel shut off you have to get your foot completely off the accelerator. Just keeping a little pressure on it even as you're slowing down for a red light, etc. prevents it from kicking in. Drives me crazy when my wife sees traffic stopped 1/4 mile ahead and stays on the gas until she has to hit the brakes. I take my foot off immediately and coast.
    On some automatic BMWs and Porsches you can set a driving mode which essentially puts the transmission in neutral when you take your foot off the accelerator. BMW calls it "Eco Pro" while Porsche refers to it as "Sailing Mode." Whatever you call it, you can coast a long way...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    edited December 2017
    Of course. I think the EPA tests should be done with E-10 instead of pure gasoline and should accelerate more rapidly to better match real world conditions. But there will always be a lot of variation no matter what you do. I would prefer to see a range with the current EPA test being the top of the range. Then do another test with E-10, lots of idling and fast acceleration to provide a "worst case" scenario for the bottom of the range. Of course no matter what you do someone will complain. Something else I notice that affects fuel economy is coasting or lack thereof. On vehicles with deceleration fuel shut off you have to get your foot completely off the accelerator. Just keeping a little pressure on it even as you're slowing down for a red light, etc. prevents it from kicking in. Drives me crazy when my wife sees traffic stopped 1/4 mile ahead and stays on the gas until she has to hit the brakes. I take my foot off immediately and coast.
    On some automatic BMWs and Porsches you can set a driving mode which essentially puts the transmission in neutral when you take your foot off the accelerator. BMW calls it "Eco Pro" while Porsche refers to it as "Sailing Mode." Whatever you call it, you can coast a long way...
    @abacomike, Over at C&C used to rave about the Eco Pro mode on his 7.  It must be effective.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    tjc78 said:

@abacomike, Over at C&C used to rave about the Eco Pro mode on his 7.  It must be effective.  

The only time I find it to be an issue is in stop and go traffic in hot weather: Eco Pro cuts back the a/c to the point the interior gets a bit too warm. Aside from that it works fine.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

tjc78 said:

The only time I find it to be an issue is in stop and go traffic in hot weather: Eco Pro cuts back the a/c to the point the interior gets a bit too warm. Aside from that it works fine.

That was my Mother's complaint on the Prius. The AC just wouldn't work well in CA Summer heat with Eco mode on.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    akirby said:

andres3 said:

What about the TDI optimization by VW for the EPA tests :open_mouth:

That's why I said "legally"......
    Some VW dude went to prison over that. I think he got 5 years.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305

akirby said:

andres3 said:

What about the TDI optimization by VW for the EPA tests :open_mouth:

That's why I said "legally"......
    Some VW dude went to prison over that. I think he got 5 years.
    I think it was 7...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Oh good. It's funny how these things work out in different countries. In China he'd probably be shot, in the USA he'd retire with a golden parachute and write a book entitled "How I Did It".
  • Options

Oh good. It's funny how these things work out in different countries. In China he'd probably be shot, in the USA he'd retire with a golden parachute and write a book entitled "How I Did It".

I'm waiting for a book from Chrysler Execs titled "What the Hell Were We Thinking!?!?"
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    So it's been a few weeks since I was at the Toyota dealer. Today I made it over to the Honda dealer. The new Accord is low to the ground like the Camry, but I thought it was easier egress and a little roomier. It also was pretty nice inside with excellent seats. But that big time sloping rear window means I'd probably want BLIS and make sure the rear defroster covered a good portion of it because it is going to accumulate snow and condensation. I guess personally on Toyota v. Honda I'd take a CRV over a RAV4, a Highlander over a Pilot and probably take a closer look at the Ford Fusion if I was looking for a sedan. But really, I honestly don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. They are all decent cars with good expected reliability. Nice situation for a buyer.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Ford is going to stop manufacturing the Fusion in Mexico.
    Lots of speculation as to what the means.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    no more fusion? Wonder if they are going to consolidate the Focus and Fusion into one sedan model?

• Options
    If 2 different models were to be combined, you'd think they would go with Fusion. :)
  • Options
    Flat rock MI plant also in question. Ford may be on its way to trucks, crossovers and autonomous only. Of course consumers seem to be rapidly abandoning cars as well. Wonder what is going on with Ford cars in Europe?
  • Options
    Speculation is rampant - could be replaced by a stretched Focus (not likely), could be moving to a different plant in North America and/or moving to the new CD6 platform. Ford has flatly denied that they plan to import them from China. Maybe we’ll get some info at the Detroit Auto Show.
  • Options
    As you can see by the sales numbers posted here each month, midsized sedans are not going away. Declining, yes but even a 7 yr old Fusion is selling 15K-20K per month.
  • Options
    I dunno -unless I got a great deal or was going to hold the car for a decade, I might shy away from buying a Fusion because of the potential orphan status shortly down the road. Lots to choose from out there.
  • Options
    From Autoweek:

"U.S. Fusion sales are down 22 percent this year through November, vs. a 16 percent slide for the midsize segment overall.

And overall U.S. car deliveries are on track to decline for the fourth straight year in 2017."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ford-fusion-production-rumored-be-moving-china#ixzz521i6Msfh
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder if Ford didn't put out a mix on the Fusion too tilted toward the more expensive versions?
  • Options
    berri said:

I sometimes wonder if Ford didn't put out a mix on the Fusion too tilted toward the more expensive versions?

Don’t think so. Over half are S or cheaper SE versions.

The problem is it looks exactly the same as it did in 2012 with the only changes being sync 3 and the new Sport engine option. All it really needs is new sheetmetal to get back to where it was.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Kudo's to tbirdmarco to posting this link.
    It starts out with mid size sedans.
    You will have to move the video back to the beginning to hear what they have to say about the Camry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzJn7Aux0Y4
  • Options
    One thing I'll give the new Camry is that depending on which trim line you can get one of two different suspension settings in a modearately priced car. But then the Accord is pretty good for most situations out of the box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    stickguy said:

Jeez, I must have missed the "don't ever downshift" class at driving school LOL. As a teenager we had quick little stick shift Z24 Cavaliers and then; I bought a Saturn. I paid $7500 for it after trade. It was 1994. I bought a 1992 and it was LOADED. Leather heated seats,Power sunroof, power everything, twin cam engine. ONE airbag (I guess the passenger was of no concern).That same GM 2 knob job stereo, but they took it apart, added RMS power, and the knobs had decent detents in them. I had no problem with it. It was getting the axe anyway,as I saved all of my equip from the Cavalier. All I did was add subs and upper dash speakers that were NOT made of paper.(you know....3.5" GM paper crap).

Anyway. The Saturn was GM trying to copy Honda. It didn't quite make it, but I am glad they tried. I drove that Saturn without ANY NANNIES except ABS, and its little 1.9 liter "twincam" 122 BHP motor never let me down.
    BTW: I drove that car on many many trips....even out of country. They just waved me through. I miss the old days. Before everything was considered terrorism unless proven innocent. Sucks.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    This mornings story

You guys know I like to post comments with stories, and this morning I had a doozy.

I was on my was back from DC pain clinic on 395 South. It was exactly 7AM. It was dark,wet roads, and full of traffic. I noticed a car with one headlight following me. He would hang back a little...but had a headlight out so tracking him was easy.
    Anyway, to shorten the story he ended up beside me, but behind. No one was behind me, so I SLAMMED on my brakes. He did too. I stopped. He went by. It was VA State Police car in an Impala made only for State Police.

Why was I being followed? Why didn't he just pull me over if he had a question. Stopping on 395 is illegal but he went on by...paused for a minute...then I heard his engine as he took off.

I found a place to send comments to the senior State Police contact. What he did was dangerous to other traffic, dangerous to me, and the officer could have hurt or even killed others.It was dark, roads were soaked, and; I think the one headlight ploy is to make folks speed. Thank god I have me heads up and only went 59 max.

Maybe he saw my previous record and he WAS pushing me to accelerate, but I heard NO in the back of my neck. So, switched lanes to let him by....but he got behind me instead. I thought he was just an a$%hole....I was right. A State Police a%$hole.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Sounds annoying.....

To switch topics a bit, how many miles now on your KIA?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Doesn’t sound suspicious to me. Sounds like he was just driving the same speed you were. When you slammed on brakes he was probably thinking you might need assistance. paranoid much?
  • Options
    stickguy said:

The following is a letter I wrote to the central office of the Virginia State Police, or VSP.

This morning at exactly 7 AM I had a cruiser that tried everything to keep up with me, due to heavy traffic. I tracked him in my rear view mirror as he changed lanes suddenly and put people in DANGER by having one headlight, and driving aggressively.

I was keeping up with traffic, and due to the rain, that was about 59 mph. I felt stalked, so I eventually hit the brakes when he was in the lane next to me to find a State Police cruiser. It was a Chevy 4 door model, on 395 south at 7 AM in Arlington. I was heading home to Springfield from GW housing area on F street.

Could your highway patrol officers have the ability to turn a headlight off as a way of blending in? Is it an old trick to pull out a bulb? Or did he/she forget to do their walk around the vehicle this morning?

Either way, operating on one headlight at dark is a major safety concern. I believe the traffic. Darkness, and rain was just thick enough that it kept speeds down. He/she never turned their lights on….but when I braked so did he/she until the gambit was up.

My car is properly registered, inspected, insured, and had emissions done 5 days ago and is good until 2020.

PLEASE PICK ON THE BAD GUYS. I have not had a ticket in 4 years.

Chris Skalski
    Commuter

Would someone show me how to start a NEW DISCUSSION?

I tracked this guy due to his dead passenger headlight. This is an old cop trick. Insert a dead bulb and pretend not to know later. He tracked me for 10 miles....then I nailed the brakes WHEN IT WAS SAFE. No one was behind me. He braked as well....not falling for it. So I accelerated hard for a count of 2 and STOPPED DEAD. He couldn't. Remember the slotted and cross drilled and vented rotors I installed? Remember the dual piston Calipers? Well, a Virginia State Trooper slid by. I flicked him off, he exited the highway, and I wrote the above letter. Right or wrong.
  • Options
    I realize I could have pulled over safely...but I have only fight sometimes...not flight....nor common sense. I wanted to nail him and I DID.
  • Options
    I'm surprised you did not get pulled over and written up for various reckless driving infractions. If not worse.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    stickguy said:

no more fusion? Wonder if they are going to consolidate the Focus and Fusion into one sedan model?

Like a Ford Fucsion?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    stickguy said:

I'm surprised you did not get pulled over and written up for various reckless driving infractions. If not worse.

I am not. I drove down the road at 59 mph in the same lane the entire time. It is different here. If anyone was driving recklessly it was him. I just had to prove it. It wasn't "random slamming on brakes and hard acceleration as just cause to stop". I made sure no one was behind me...and he was in the next lane , 1 car pace behind (probably running my tags).
    There is a militarization of local police in DC and the immediate surrounding area. My friends notice it. Local merchants see it. It may be necessary, but I am not guilty of anything before proof before.the court of law.

He knew the gambit was up. That is all. I had 2 tickets in my past that were 30 over due to a speed limit change. They
    didn't bother moving the tree's in front of the signs. The second ticket was totally my fault.
  • Options
    well, random slamming on the brakes and heavy acceleration, in poor conditions, would certainly be just cause to stop.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    akirby said:

Doesn’t sound suspicious to me. Sounds like he was just driving the same speed you were. When you slammed on brakes he was probably thinking you might need assistance. paranoid much?

No, he did not think I needed assistance. If he did...he would have lit me up and asked me to pull over. See, the first time I slammed on my brakes so did he.. The second time he wasn't expecting it and I got my shot that it was a State Boy driving recklessly all over 395 in dark, drizzling and almost freezing rain with a headlight out. Did 2 wrongs make a right? No. The message was...I know you are tailing me and it is because I was leaving DC in early morning. Well, all kinds of hospital workers change shifts then, cops do, military workers at the Pentagon, etc. Most live in VA, as they work on the edge of the Potomac on the VA side of DC.
    So tell me again with a straight face that he thought I needed "assistance". He crossed 4 lanes of highway back and forth, putting people in danger over a mile back....while I stayed in the lane next to the left lane at cruise control monitored 59 mph..who needed assistance????
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    benjaminh said:

Sounds annoying.....

To switch topics a bit, how many miles now on your KIA?

62,089. (I even went out and checked when I took the trash out!)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    stickguy said:

well, random slamming on the brakes and heavy acceleration, in poor conditions, would certainly be just cause to stop.

He had been recklessly changing lanes behind me for 10 mins, always ending up on my bumper....knowing I cant see a dark blue car, and adding the difficulty of one headlight out I could not make out who was tailing me. I made sure NO ONE was behind me when I hit my brakes. So did he..but he never asked if I needed assistance, and THERE WERE CARS BEHIND HIM. He was trying to make me speed initially. No I am not paranoid...just prudent, and I CMA.
    In the DC area there is a militarization of law enforcement going on. A lot of it, even in the 'Burbs, is necessary. But when a very large man in body armor with an AR-15 pulls you over as a friendly reminder that your taillight is out...tell be that doesn't scare the hell out of ANYONE. I live 15 miles from Washington DC. I am scared. There. You have it. I am scared.
  • Options
    He had been recklessly speeding back and forth on the beltway trying to make folks speed...but always ended up on my tail. Have you considered that he found it fun? I honestly don't know what was in his mind other than being ALL over the road. In the dark. In the rain, and with roads drenched. Did you remember poking fun at my brake upgrade as overkill???? My ABS never even came on.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305
    cski said:

He had been recklessly speeding back and forth on the beltway trying to make folks speed...but always ended up on my tail. Have you considered that he found it fun? I honestly don't know what was in his mind other than being ALL over the road. In the dark. In the rain, and with roads drenched. Did you remember poking fun at my brake upgrade as overkill???? My ABS never even came on.

Did you get a plate number?

Perhaps you can follow up your letter with a visit to the local barracks and speak to a supervisor. The letter (or email) is likely to get round filed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguy said:

It doesn't matter. You were not there at the time. Everything I did took place in 10 seconds. If that. It was only after discovering it was State Police behaving like a maniac did I really accelerate. I gave him the finger too with my window down.. So, why was no ticket issued??? Do you really think it was because he was a nice guy???
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Ahhh.... if they pass you, and you don't pass them, it's tough for them to ticket you. They'd have to really have it in for you to go through the trouble.

I remember exiting a freeway quickly once in order to make sure I didn't waste time for a discussion with the CHP one time. I don't know if he had me in his rear-view sights, but I didn't want to wait around to find out. It's a lesson I learned when I was younger and previously pulled-over.

Lesson learned:

Given the chance to avoid a pull-over, do so!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    cski said:

I would think your ABS should come on with a brake upgrade. It should be no problem to max out the braking ability of your tire's traction, thereby activating ABS (especially if it was wet and rainy).

I've found my brake upgrade to be quite fun as I do have superior braking power now, and it is super consistent, time after time, with good pedal feel. The only limitation now (even during repeated hard braking) is not fade, but tire traction.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Michaell said:

cski said:

Did you get a plate number?

Perhaps you can follow up your letter with a visit to the local barracks and speak to a supervisor. The letter (or email) is likely to get round filed.
    I post nasty letters (usually by email) on my bulletin board. Would make good work refrigerator material too.

Usually it's from someone that should know when the Pot calls the Kettle black.

I've called a supervisor on the phone before, his preferred method to deal with the complaint was to let the courts settle it out. Apparently, that's what the Courts are for, to weed out the bad cop accusations from the good cop accusations.
  • Options
    cski said:

stickguy said:

I am not. I drove down the road at 59 mph in the same lane the entire time. It is different here. If anyone was driving recklessly it was him. I just had to prove it. It wasn't "random slamming on brakes and hard acceleration as just cause to stop". I made sure no one was behind me...and he was in the next lane , 1 car pace behind (probably running my tags).
    There is a militarization of local police in DC and the immediate surrounding area. My friends notice it. Local merchants see it. It may be necessary, but I am not guilty of anything before proof before.the court of law.

He knew the gambit was up. That is all. I had 2 tickets in my past that were 30 over due to a speed limit change. They
    didn't bother moving the tree's in front of the signs. The second ticket was totally my fault.
    I've heard nothing but bad things when it comes to VA law enforcement, and in particular the way they do traffic enforcement.

Wouldn't surprise me if VA had some of the highest insurance and accident auto rates as well.
  • Options
    He had better things to do. By then he had gone through 3 counties. He went to reset at the DC line were people speed. They speed due to the better roads in VA, and that DC does not pull folks over unless seriously fast, or approaching and leaving a backpack at a National Memorial.

Can we talk about midsize sedans please?
  • Options
    andres3 said:

cski said:

I would think your ABS should come on with a brake upgrade. It should be no problem to max out the braking ability of your tire's traction, thereby activating ABS (especially if it was wet and rainy).

I've found my brake upgrade to be quite fun as I do have superior braking power now, and it is super consistent, time after time, with good pedal feel. The only limitation now (even during repeated hard braking) is not fade, but tire traction.
    Totally agree. I had my tires rotated 3 days before during Inspection and emissions. It just stopped. The rear brake upgrade and stability control all worked very nicely together with the ABS deemed unnecessary by multiple computers I guess. I really DON'T KNOW! LOL!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Remember, the first time I decelerated from a heart-stopping 59 mph. I did not just hit the brakes with both feet. I just wanted.....HAD... to know if that was a cop. The second time I braked I was doing 30. Then I stopped dead. No ABS was ever necessary.
    I just wanted to share a true story of how a State Trooper did business at the Nations Capital. Putting people at risk by driving recklessly, and in the end I was able to prove it. I wish I had time to get a movie but I had both hands on the wheel and was busy checking mirrors. I was not out to hurt anyone but maybe myself....
    It was worth it.

Can we get back to what has changed in mid size sedans? What is the best value?...not the cheapest car. The BEST midsize sedan for the money.

Anyone Know???
  • Options
    akirby said:

When I am returning from the pain clinic at early morning? Yes I am paranoid. I should have queued it up during the "incident".
  • Options
    The clinic opens at 6AM to make it easier for folks like me to get there. I had PERSONAL and PRIVATE business in DC. What I learned in part was that there is only the personal and private business that you create sometimes. I feel like I stood up for myself. I dont go about town driving recklessly. If so, I would have a ticket right now.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

cski said:

Did you get a plate number? I wish.

They will pull together and the supervisor is not going to say:
    Ohhh; that was Officer Steve. Here he is. We have cuffed him with zip restraints so you can bring him........here for disciplinary action. Thank you SO MUCH for your assistance.
  • Options
    "Officer Steve", you have been found guilty of whatever this dude has said you did. Your sentence is........
    10 push-ups and a fresh new headlight for your aging Impala Cruiser.