Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    edited January 2018
    How many Edmonds Forum Members to fix a car door mirror?
    How many Edmund Forum Members have fixed a car door mirror doing it themselves?
    I did my 99 S10.  $50 on Ebay for a new aftermarket.   20 minutes to install. (10 of which looking for the right size socket).  I couldn’t believe it was that easy.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    I changed mirrors a number of times on my old '78 Delta. They were remote cable-operated ones, not electric. The original was shot, found one in a junkyard and changed it. Then found a pair of remote sport mirrors, and installed them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    I did not replace one, but I added a passenger side one on my Dodge Colt. Did not come with one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,967
    edited January 2018
    Q, the replacement right side view mirror for my Golf was $730 and the body shop had to go through VW to get the right one. It also has the turn signal in it so I knew I was screwed the second I hit the side if the garage. Still pissed off about it as with the last couple of vehicles, I just scraped the paint. This time, not so lucky!!!
    Now, I go really slow going in or out. This will never happen again...I hope!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    edited January 2018
    Out celebrating 50 some trips around the sun. 

But officer I only had one beer. 

ok I can't get the picture to load but it's a liter stine of beer. :)

Just enjoying ourselves in a barvarian beer hall 

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

beer halls are fun. some day, i hope to make it to Munich for Oktoberfest.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    tjc78 said:

I did my 99 S10.  $50 on Ebay for a new aftermarket.   20 minutes to install. (10 of which looking for the right size socket).  I couldn’t believe it was that easy.  

On most getting the door panel off by following the right steps and having the correct tools is the harder part.
    Need a good video or a factory service manual to make that part easy.

The mirror is the easy part.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

Out celebrating 50 some trips around the sun. 

But officer I only had one beer. 

ok I can't get the picture to load but it's a liter stine of beer. :)

Just enjoying ourselves in a barvarian beer hall 

Didn't know you were an astronaut. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

if lucky, the whole door panel does not have to come off (I will not try that on my own). Just the little triangle part up by the window. That of course depends on where the mirror attaches.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    stickguy said:

beer halls are fun. some day, i hope to make it to Munich for Oktoberfest.

And a sausage.....

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

bratwurst. goes without saying.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    @snakeweasel,
    Here is a driver's side mirror for an 08 Sebring convertible.
    2nd one down and it needs to be painted.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2008/chrysler/sebring/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/mirror.html
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    It puzzles me how some people market their car. It's like they got bored one night and said "I think I'll sell my car". Would you call for this car?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    It puzzles me how some people market their car. It's like they got bored one night and said "I think I'll sell my car". Would you call for this car?
    You can sometimes get a good deal that way. I went to see my 300z based off one really crappy cell phone pic. Bought it for $1k delivered to my driveway. After I took detailed pics, folks online were offering more than I paid for just the seats.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I think that happens when the guy goes out to start it and it won't fire up for the 8th time!

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    tjc78 said:

How many Edmonds Forum Members to fix a car door mirror?
    How many Edmund Forum Members have fixed a car door mirror doing it themselves?

They CAN be easy or they can be a b***h! Depends on the car!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

abacomike said:

I just rolled over one of my IRA's at my bank. I was getting 1.225% on 20,000+ and they gave me a 13 month CD at 1.75%. Looks like rates are beginning to rise. I long for the days of 5%+ CD interest rates - doubt we will get there soon unless something radical happens to the stock market and/or economy w/inflation.

I remember back in the late 1970's during the end of the Carter administration when my Dad took out a 66 month CD with an initial deposit of $250,000 and when the CD matured, he received $565,000+. I believe he was earning 17.8% interest at the time. That's when inflation was roaring at close to 20% for a short time back then. He had just retired down here to Florida. Boy, would I love to get an interest rate like that again.

I remember getting 18% on CDs back then but you had to suffer 22% inflation. What I wish I had done back then was to buy a 30 year bond which at the time was paying about 16%. Once inflation subsided you were making 10-12% over inflation.

I hope all your savings aren't in bank CDs. Sure they're safe but you're really losing money. Even an S&P index fund made 20% last year.

So now you get 1/75% and inflation is around 3%. Not much different than 1980!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @laurasdada ....don’t know if you’re still around, but just got an email from these guys. I was looking at Jags when I was going through the Caddy buyback fiasco.

It’s the SC version, too. Looks pretty good for the price....

https://www.jaguarcincinnati.com/inventory/new-2017-jaguar-xe-35t-premium-rwd-4-door-sedan-sajad4bv9hcp15122
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    On most getting the door panel off by following the right steps and having the correct tools is the harder part. Need a good video or a factory service manual to make that part easy. The mirror is the easy part.
    Agreed... on the S10 IIRC I didn’t have to take the entire panel off.  I was able to pop the clips off snd pry it out slightly (just enough to get the socket in).  

love the color combo on that Jag. And I am in the slim minority that actually is happy to have the RWD version.

I actually looked at my 2 cars today to see how the mirrors attach. The RDX is on a stalk that is attached to the door, so that would require popping the panel. But the Elantra connects above the door skin, next to the window, so looks like just popping off a little plastic triangle at the top, and the bolts will be right there.

abacomike said:

I just rolled over one of my IRA's at my bank. I was getting 1.225% on 20,000+ and they gave me a 13 month CD at 1.75%. Looks like rates are beginning to rise. I long for the days of 5%+ CD interest rates - doubt we will get there soon unless something radical happens to the stock market and/or economy w/inflation.

I remember back in the late 1970's during the end of the Carter administration when my Dad took out a 66 month CD with an initial deposit of $250,000 and when the CD matured, he received $565,000+. I believe he was earning 17.8% interest at the time. That's when inflation was roaring at close to 20% for a short time back then. He had just retired down here to Florida. Boy, would I love to get an interest rate like that again.

I remember getting 18% on CDs back then but you had to suffer 22% inflation. What I wish I had done back then was to buy a 30 year bond which at the time was paying about 16%. Once inflation subsided you were making 10-12% over inflation.

I hope all your savings aren't in bank CDs. Sure they're safe but you're really losing money. Even an S&P index fund made 20% last year.

So now you get 1/75% and inflation is around 3%. Not much different than 1980!
    Except if you had the wisdom back then to invest you'd still be getting 16% until 2009. If only we had the ability to see the future.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    And in my area, houses that were 80K in 1980 can easily be 1MM+++++ now.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    And easily be $600K next year. Don't forget that part.

If you look at historic real estate prices over a long, long period of time, what we've seen since the 1980s is a freak.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955

If you look at historic real estate prices over a long, long period of time, what we've seen since the 1980s is a freak.

What is a "long long period of time" to you?

I'm of the opinion that the moden housing market started after WW2 with the various Levittowns that cropped up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Been doing my annual rite of self-abuse by watching the B-J Auction. It was relatively acceptable until today when the craziness really took over. Lots of people with more money than sense, as is the case every year. Get enough booze into them and they will overpay dramatically. The few true classics seem to be mostly not meeting reserve, while the most excessive "customs" seem to have no trouble attracting ridiculous money. It's rather depressing. Can't account for taste I guess.

I've already seen more tri-five Chevys than I think they ever built, along with a good percentage of early Camaros, Vettes and Mustangs (though it seems to me there are fewer Mustangs than usual). While a $100K car was notable just a couple of years ago, it now seems twice that is what it takes for a lot of the customs and even 3 times in a few cases. It's nuts. As someone said over at BaT in discussing their cars, "I buy my cars at Russo and Steele which is for enthusiasts, and sell them at B-J".

It seems to be a bubble just like some of the others we've been discussing. I'm getting out of my market-based investments over the next week or so I think. Rather be a bit too soon doing that than too late.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    edited January 2018
    On the real estate topic, if you like mid-century(literally), this is nice.
    https://www.howardhanna.com/Property/Detail/22135-Cottonwood-Dr-Rocky-River-OH-44116/NorthernOH/3950944
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

https://www.howardhanna.com/Property/Detail/22135-Cottonwood-Dr-Rocky-River-OH-44116/NorthernOH/3950944

I like that - it reminds me of my buddy's house which he sold last year prior to moving to the boonies. His wasn't quite that grand, but close. I can only imagine the upkeep something like that requires. I know his was constant, with upgrading of insulation, electrical, pretty much all of the HVAC, etc.

I like how they seem to have kept it mostly original inside. Some of the paint colors are a bit unfortunate. I like the pink/coral bathroom, though most wouldn't. The Kitchen is the one thing that doesn't seem to fit - it's really small.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited January 2018
    ab348 said:

It seems to be a bubble just like some of the others we've been discussing. I'm getting out of my market-based investments over the next week or so I think. Rather be a bit too soon doing that than too late.

I'm about halfway back out. I often do half when I'm not sure about a move. However, my portfolio is structured strangely because of my history of how I invested during my earlier working years. Kind of backwards. So I was hedged in a way already with some of my taxables. At least I'm one of the 83% who'll get a tax cut--at least $3000 the way I worked it on the one online calculator that included the senior citizens additional credit for 65 or legally blind. I thought about spending it on a new car and helping the economy, but I like my Malibu with solid quiet heavy ride feeling and low mileage. The tires are barely worn at 24000 miles.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    stickguy said:
    bratwurst. goes without saying.
    Love bratwurst!  When I lived in Chicago, I used to travel to the northern suburbs to get “Slotkowski’s” bratwursts- best I’ve ever had!  Grill ‘em, boil ‘em, roast ‘em, microwave ‘em, etc., they taste terrific!

2021 Genesis G90

Looks like a comfortable house. It would easily be over a million in my area.

There's so much foreign money (no vetting by the authoritarians, of course) pouring in here, and so many well-paid tech and telecom types, that a 1MM house here won't be 600K unless we get nuked. Seriously. Price may not carry on with recent growth rates, but a 40% correction? Nah. This isn't the south with ample idle land, nor are these subprime borrowers.

ab348 said:

Been doing my annual rite of self-abuse by watching the B-J Auction. It was relatively acceptable until today when the craziness really took over. Lots of people with more money than sense, as is the case every year. Get enough booze into them and they will overpay dramatically. The few true classics seem to be mostly not meeting reserve, while the most excessive "customs" seem to have no trouble attracting ridiculous money. It's rather depressing. Can't account for taste I guess.

I've already seen more tri-five Chevys than I think they ever built, along with a good percentage of early Camaros, Vettes and Mustangs (though it seems to me there are fewer Mustangs than usual). While a $100K car was notable just a couple of years ago, it now seems twice that is what it takes for a lot of the customs and even 3 times in a few cases. It's nuts. As someone said over at BaT in discussing their cars, "I buy my cars at Russo and Steele which is for enthusiasts, and sell them at B-J".

I'm watching that Barrett-Jackson show too off and on. There were some brand new Corvette super cars auctioned off for close to a $million for disabled vets which I thought was good.

I'm standing pat on my investments. Most of them are value mutual funds which the experts say will be good for 2018. I do worry at the rate of increase lately being indicative of "exuberance".

ab348 said:

I'm about halfway back out. I often do half when I'm not sure about a move. However, my portfolio is structured strangely because of my history of how I invested during my earlier working years. Kind of backwards. So I was hedged in a way already with some of my taxables. At least I'm one of the 83% who'll get a tax cut--at least $3000 the way I worked it on the one online calculator that included the senior citizens additional credit for 65 or legally blind. I thought about spending it on a new car and helping the economy, but I like my Malibu with solid quiet heavy ride feeling and low mileage. The tires are barely worn at 24000 miles.

You could always buy ME a new car if you want to stimulate the economy.

Wow, a 2017 Ford GT just went for $2.5 million for charity at B-J.

I mentioned awhile ago I saw one of these coming the opposite way and I assumed it was a new Buick, but couldn't find a Buick quite like it (couldn't make out the name or see that crossbar on the grill).

I looked in my rear view mirror and saw it from the back end;

and I still couldn't couldn't figure it out. I thought it was some kind of Maserati or something.

Then, one passed me on I-75 last night, I caught up to him and saw the name...it was a Volvo. The first time I didn't see the distinctive bar on the grill.

It is a Volvo S90 and it has a really nice interior;

Edmunds gives it 4 out of 5 stars

pros
    Comes standard with a wide array of convenience and safety features
    some of the best seats in the class
    impressive interior materials throughout the cabin
    intuitive technology interface is one of the best systems available.
    cons
    Heavy steering leads to fatigue
    rides roughly over poor road surfaces when equipped with largest-diameter wheels.

I think I will stick to what I know I like.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,871

ab348 said:

I'm watching that Barrett-Jackson show too off and on. There were some brand new Corvette super cars auctioned off for close to a $million for disabled vets which I thought was good.

I'm standing pat on my investments. Most of them are value mutual funds which the experts say will be good for 2018. I do worry at the rate of increase lately being indicative of "exuberance".
    I agree. My one account gained 25% last year. That can't be sustainable. Something has to give, as always. I guess the thing is when?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

driver100 said:

I mentioned awhile ago I saw one of these coming the opposite way and I assumed it was a new Buick, but couldn't find a Buick quite like it (couldn't make out the name or see that crossbar on the grill).

I looked in my rear view mirror and saw it from the back end;

and I still couldn't couldn't figure it out. I thought it was some kind of Maserati or something.

Then, one passed me on I-75 last night, I caught up to him and saw the name...it was a Volvo. The first time I didn't see the distinctive bar on the grill.

It is a Volvo S90 and it has a really nice interior;

Edmunds gives it 4 out of 5 stars

pros
    Comes standard with a wide array of convenience and safety features
    some of the best seats in the class
    impressive interior materials throughout the cabin
    intuitive technology interface is one of the best systems available.
    cons
    Heavy steering leads to fatigue
    rides roughly over poor road surfaces when equipped with largest-diameter wheels.

I think I will stick to what I know I like.

Someone on my street must work for a Volvo dealer because I see these quite frequently with dealer plates on it. I think it’s pretty attractive and I’d wager there would be some good deals to be had. The large Volvo has never been a huge seller.

Driver, it is a really nice car. fantastic interior and seats. very roomy. And always a good idea to avoid the giant wheel option, if you care about ride comfort (or like me, live where the roads are heavily bomb cratered.).

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,384
    The S90 was on my short list because of how well they lease.  Just didn’t fit in my garage. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited January 2018
    On these custom car shows I notice they always lower the cars for appearance sake. To me it doesn't look good, especially on older classic cars. I don't think they are doing it for handling and I can see these cars being undrivable in the real world (speed bumps, potholes).

Anyone else as puzzled as me?

it is on air bags. They raise up to actually drive. You could not move it like that.

driver100 said:

Hmm. Volvo/Tata builds a Swedish Lacrosse. Wonder if it will sell any better.

stickguy said:

Driver, it is a really nice car. fantastic interior and seats. very roomy. And always a good idea to avoid the giant wheel option, if you care about ride comfort (or like me, live where the roads are heavily bomb cratered.).

I thought giant wheels would give a better ride....especially over potholes and bumps. What is the reasoning?

generally skinnier sidewalls, so less impact absorption. and they tend to be heavier, which means more unsprung mass to control, and that is normally not good either. In some cases the bigger wheels also come with a stiffer suspension, either to make it "sporty", or just control things.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Hmmn, a Swedish Lacrosse, might as well go for the real thing -- the Lacrosse Avenir

bwia said:

Hmmn, a Swedish Lacrosse, might as well go for the real thing -- the Lacrosse Avenir

Want!

just a bit of an upgrade over a base Elantra there. At probably 2-3X the price of course.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2018
    And I like it too - but the Avenir will MSRP in the $50k ballpark. By comparison, the Avenir sub-brand is doing well for the Enclave so Buick expects the Lacrosse to do equally as well in that genuine understated luxury space. Feast your eyes.