Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    Biancar......others are better at giving you info about SIM cards...that is out of my field of expertise. A good place to get info is youtube....go on and ask how to do something.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Very sharp looking. Enjoy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Sounds like a make-work project if there ever was one. Or just a way to appease the oblivious pearl-clutchers who go into shock when they see a pandhandler.
    ab348 said:

Minor brouhaha in the press locally as the constabulary has reportedly issued hundreds of tickets to people panhandling in traffic at backed-up intersections. I was unaware of this happening as for the last 10 years or so this has become a thing to do here, starting with squeegee kids and then later on people with paper cups working the lanes at said intersections. One of the first was an enterprising young lady who often wore designer-label clothes and sneakers and was seldom seen without a cigarette in hand as she worked the busiest corner in town with a small sign stating she needed the money for university. Maybe it was even true, who knows. In any event I suspect those tickets are largely ceremonial and will never be paid.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    biancar said:

Matches the house. ;-)

Very pretty! I like those wheels! The car looks BRAND NEW! How many miles are on it? Best of luck to you!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    edited May 2018
    I don't know if anyone has advocated giving no punishment, but an impossible regimen of fines and jail time probably isn't the best answer. As the socio-economic chasm continues to widen, this type of "justice" isn't going to work well.

If you're well-off, just have your lawyer beat the ticket for you. The golden rule and all.
    thebean said:

The solution for people with marginal incomes seems to me to be extra careful and vigilant so they don't get any traffic tickets or fines. To not give any type of punishment just because someone can't afford the fine sends the wrong message and you will get more and more people ignoring tickets if they know they will not get punished.

• Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    10,500 when I bought it last week. Original owner bought it in July, 2016. Around here there are a lot of low-mileage cars, as people close to D.C. use the Metro a lot, and especially convertibles, which might be mainly a summer car. But this was exceptionally good.

Dealership did a superb job of detailing it, as you can see.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Beautiful car!
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    biancar said:
    Have a question, not quite sure where to post this. I bought a 2016 Audi last week after about a week back-and-forth emailing with the salesman (I was out of town at the time and couldn't come in until the day I did). After a good test drive and discussion with my husband, we went ahead and bought it. Pretty smooth process. I thought the salesman explained most of the features pretty well, although there were some things he didn't know, like how to adjust the power headrests. (Controls are on the side of the seats, it turns out.) So now he has contacted us again, and he wants to come over on Friday evening "to explain more about the car." At first I said "sure, that's fine" but now a little ding-ding-ding is going off in my head. Why would he want to come to my home on a Friday evening to explain a car's features even more? Is this a usual thing when buying a (used) luxury car, that the salesman would make a house call? His dealership is about 40 - 45 minutes away, but apparently he lives closer to us than that, so he wants to come over after his workday at the dealership. Is this normal or is this weird?
    If you had purchased a “new” car from him, a house visit might be appropriate to increase his chances of getting a perfect Consumer Satisfaction Survey from you.  But a house visit on a used car is a bit over the top.  

I would suggest that that if you have additional questions about your car’s operation that you meet him at the dealership and keep the relationship “professional” rather than getting too personal with the salesman   

When I was in the car business, I often made house calls to clients locally when they purchased or leased a new car from me in order to impress them with the hope of getting referrals from them.  But the average salesman would not - which is what concerns me about this guy.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    biancar said:
    Matches the house. ;-)
    Definitely an eye-catcher!  Hope you enjoy that beautiful ragtop!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    biancar said:

Thanks for the comments, guys. I agree with driver100 re eager young thing starting out and impressing us and the boss with how helpful he is. He's been in the business about two years, with this dealership a little over one.

He was super at actually finding the car. I email blasted all the Audi dealers around a three-state area who were less than 200 miles away describing what I wanted, and he was the only one who found exactly the right color, right options plus one I had only hoped for, one year newer than I would have taken, low mileage, everything just right. And then the sale itself was easy, they reduced the price by $1,000 as soon as I asked (also thanks to you guys suggesting what was fair). Got about what I expected on my trade.

It's not that I have suspicions about him as an individual, just wondered if this was a common thing for high-end cars.

Only thing I have questions about is the media system. Do I have to buy an Audi-brand SD card, or will anything work? Manual is explicit about the SIM card but the other two I'm guessing anything.

Other than that, the manual is pretty good.

I didn't realize you are a woman. That's WAY creepy. If you have questions, tell him you will call him & set up an appointment at the dealership if you need help!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    driver100 said:
    Biancar......others are better at giving you info about SIM cards...that is out of my field of expertise. A good place to get info is youtube....go on and ask how to do something.
    Would that be the same be the same YouTube that has videos with proof that the earth is flat, that you don't need a drivers license to "travel in your vessel" (drive a car), that only Federal employees are required to pay income tax and (my favorite) when you're born the government creates a corporation with your name and any legal document with your name in all caps is not referencing you but that corporation?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    nyccarguy said:

biancar said:

Thanks for the comments, guys. I agree with driver100 re eager young thing starting out and impressing us and the boss with how helpful he is. He's been in the business about two years, with this dealership a little over one.

He was super at actually finding the car. I email blasted all the Audi dealers around a three-state area who were less than 200 miles away describing what I wanted, and he was the only one who found exactly the right color, right options plus one I had only hoped for, one year newer than I would have taken, low mileage, everything just right. And then the sale itself was easy, they reduced the price by $1,000 as soon as I asked (also thanks to you guys suggesting what was fair). Got about what I expected on my trade.

It's not that I have suspicions about him as an individual, just wondered if this was a common thing for high-end cars.

Only thing I have questions about is the media system. Do I have to buy an Audi-brand SD card, or will anything work? Manual is explicit about the SIM card but the other two I'm guessing anything.

I didn't realize you are a woman. That's WAY creepy. If you have questions, tell him you will call him & set up an appointment at the dealership if you need help!
    I didn't clue into that either. Do not let him come to your house. If I were in your position I would tell him that you're fine with the learning about the car and you may be in touch if you get stuck on something.

Lovely car, BTW. Is that gray leather? I like light gray or silvery-gray leather but it seems many makes no longer offer it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    edited May 2018
    driver100 said:

Today we take the 2012 Accent back to pick up our check for $4000. Hope they don't try to reduce it, my brother will take any amount, he can't handle it. If they offered less I would drive it across the street to the Chrysler dealer......at that point I would take it somewhere else just out of spite.

I know the car isn't worth $6000, and it had a few accidents I didn't know about when we set the price. But, the reality is they give you the highest price possible....$6000, just to get you to come in, then they walk around the car showing you every flaw so you think it is reasonable. It isn't a new model so of course it won't be perfect, but if they give me $4000 they can put $1000 into it and they will put it on the lot for $8000 hope to get $7000 to $8000.

I might sell it to oldfarmer for $4000....if that was U.S. dollars!

Sorry, now that I know how you tried to scam the poor dealer with that wreck I'm not interested. :(

Your brother seems totally different than you when it comes to cars, almost phobic. Was he adopted?

Your story seems similar to those told by Isell about people trying to trade a "perfect" car only to discover that there were multiple problems the seller never mentioned.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Yes, I'm a woman, screen name is supposed to be Bianca R. but as written combined in one it looks like some kind of "car." So for you guys the little ding-ding-ding is also going off that this house-call idea is way out of the ordinary, to put it tactfully?

Yes, light grey interior, called "Rock Grey." The carpets and dashboard are a bit darker, called "Timonium Grey." I like it. I was flexible on exact colors, would have been fine with either a beige or this light grey interior, but definitely did NOT want black (which my Z that I traded in had, and which I'd guess 90% of Audis have, from what I can see.) For the exterior, this Ibis White was my favorite, very clean and crisp. I could have taken Glacier White or one of the lighter silvers. Just did not want black or dark blue or dark grey.

• Options
    biancar said:

Yes, I'm a woman, screen name is supposed to be Bianca R. but as written combined in one it looks like some kind of "car." So for you guys the little ding-ding-ding is also going off that this house-call idea is way out of the ordinary, to put it tactfully?

For me it is, yes. Maybe I'm too suspicious, I dunno.
    Yes, light grey interior, called "Rock Grey." The carpets and dashboard are a bit darker, called "Timonium Grey." I like it. I was flexible on exact colors, would have been fine with either a beige or this light grey interior, but definitely did NOT want black (which my Z that I traded in had, and which I'd guess 90% of Audis have, from what I can see.) For the exterior, this Ibis White was my favorite, very clean and crisp. I could have taken Glacier White or one of the lighter silvers. Just did not want black or dark blue or dark grey.

That is very nice. Audi really does interiors well. I am like you in disliking black interiors and find it discouraging that they seem to be in over 90% of vehicles I see. In a convertible that is used on sunny days with the top down a black interior makes no sense to me.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I am with Mike on this one--keep the relationship strictly professional, and meet him at the dealership.
  • Options
    biancar said:
    Yes, I'm a woman, screen name is supposed to be Bianca R. but as written combined in one it looks like some kind of "car." So for you guys the little ding-ding-ding is also going off that this house-call idea is way out of the ordinary, to put it tactfully? Yes, light grey interior, called "Rock Grey." The carpets and dashboard are a bit darker, called "Timonium Grey." I like it. I was flexible on exact colors, would have been fine with either a beige or this light grey interior, but definitely did NOT want black (which my Z that I traded in had, and which I'd guess 90% of Audis have, from what I can see.) For the exterior, this Ibis White was my favorite, very clean and crisp. I could have taken Glacier White or one of the lighter silvers. Just did not want black or dark blue or dark grey.
    I am wirh every one here, if you see the salesman again for any reason do it at the dealership.

Other than that nice car, enjoy the ride. 

• Options
    Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    biancar said:i
    Matches the house. ;-)
    Nice way to start spring. Enjoy!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited May 2018
    biancar said:

You don't need an Audi branded SD. Any will do. Make sure you check the manual for what the max size is; there should be a smaller manual in the case that says "MMI Navigation Plus" or something along those lines, and the specifications will be in there. On my 2014, it will not take anything bigger than 32GB. I learned that the hard way after buying a really nice 64GB for holding an audio book series. Hey, at least I have a small place to keep those books! B)

My nearest dealer never offered to do any house calls at all. Of course, mine is nearly 400 miles away, but lets not talk about that!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited May 2018
    biancar said:

Maybe he forgot and left his "stash" hidden in the car and wants to retrieve it....or maybe he has a crush on you ! He could just be a nice guy who feels bad that he couldn't answer all your questions the first time. Let us know how it goes.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    A little more "late winter" love!

The view outside, five minutes ago....

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Looks like Alaska!

Oh, wait...

• Options
    Yikes! So glad I live in the mid-Atlantic area. My lilies of the valley are in bloom. That's my sign of spring, not more snow!
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Looks like Alaska!

Oh, wait...

I'll just say that, even here at 65 degrees north, (new) snow in May is not typical!
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

Beautiful car!

No....great car......very nice, enjoy it!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    To finish up with the Accent. We were promised a check for $4000 would be waiting for us and we would be in and out right away. Unfortunately we had to wait about 15 minutes for the manager to show up. After that he wrote us a check for $4000 and I had to remind him we were promised a ride home.

He got one of the newbie sales guys to drive us.....those guys have to knock themselves out to get brownie points.
    Our salesguy/Courtesy Vehicle driver took us back in his Yukon. I thought it drove nice, solid as a rock and pretty smooth. The fact he drives 50 and 60 mph zig zagging around downtown traffic didn't impress me. he said his Yukon was garbage....sorry Imid, his words not mine. It is a 2018, $90000 with 7000 miles on it, and the automatic back seats don't fold down and he can't get GM to honor the warranty. Says he loved his last car, a BMW M and he is trading the Yukon for a Sonata.

I'm not saying anything....I am just the messenger.

Oldfarmer, my brother has high anxiety issues and memory isn't good, especially in last 6 months it has faded quickly. My wife and I are helping him back, he has about 12 pairs of pajamas, 4 are new never taken out of bags, 6 pairs of boots, 5 new with tags and the same with shoes. He keeps asking for belts...he had about 50 stored. He had about 12 nightlights....and about 5 bulbs that could fit into the nightlights. He has every bank book he has ever owned and probably every receipt and document.

I found out one thing. Used furniture is worth nothing. Guys will come and look but they are only after some gem you don't know you have. But, they'll offer to remove it all for $95 an hour, and they will give you a few bucks off your bill for any pieces they think they can sell. People don't want the stuff, and dealers can't make a profit selling it.

OF....one more thing, any damage to the car was very cosmetic, it had about 28000 miles on it and it had a heart of gold....if a Hyundai Accent is your thing.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited May 2018
    @biancar,
    I guess we all get the Inspector Clouseau award for not figuring out your username. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Well, there's a certain amount of TMI going on here, but at least it helps me realize that my situation could be a lot worse.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited May 2018
    driver100 said:

Our salesguy/Courtesy Vehicle driver took us back in his Yukon. I thought it drove nice, solid as a rock and pretty smooth. The fact he drives 50 and 60 mph zig zagging around downtown traffic didn't impress me. he said his Yukon was garbage....sorry Imid, his words not mine. It is a 2018, $90000 with 7000 miles on it, and the automatic back seats don't fold down and he can't get GM to honor the warranty. Says he loved his last car, a BMW M and he is trading the Yukon for a Sonata.

" he is trading the Yukon for a Sonata."

Of course he is. He works at a Hyudai store.

LOL. I don't buy his gripes. I call B$.The car is a 2018. It has less than 12000 miles. Almost everything is covered since it has less than 1 year and 12000 miles. AND it's under 3 yr 36K miles coverage bumper to bumper. Unless something happened to the vehicle that negated the warranty and he bought it...

My service managers are very clear that the warranty goes with the vehicle. And 1 year 12000 miles is golden even for wear items.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    @driver100,
    Not intentionally, but you did misrepresent the car to the dealer.
    It has body damage that needs fixing, needs new tires, probably full maintenance, and at least a thorough cleaning inside and out.
    All that has to be done to make the car saleable for a good price.
  • Options
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    edited May 2018

@biancar,
    I guess we all get the Inspector Clouseau award for not figuring out your username. :)

Well, I knew, but I still remember from when she first got the Z.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@biancar,

Well, I knew, but I still remember from when she first got the Z.

That's right, you go way back to the good old days here too, don't you.

Here's the late lamented Z, my goodbye picture of it a week ago. Owned it 12 years and 2 weeks, but who's counting, right?

• Options
    edited May 2018
    biancar said:

Here's the late lamented Z, my goodbye picture of it a week ago. Owned it 12 years and 2 weeks, but who's counting, right?

Nobody... anymore!

It's nice to keep cars that long. It's like owning a dog: You enjoy them while you have them, and then remember them fondly when they're gone. But, nothing gets you over the last one like the next one! :D

• Options
    edited May 2018
    My wife just mentioned that she had just arrived at the local Fred Meyer (Kroger) earlier today and exited her car when she heard a loud squealing sound behind her. She turns around in time to see a large red truck flying through the air about fifty feet away, spinning onto its roof as it glided.... and landed atop a Subaru Forester before rolling off and coming to rest on its wheels next to the car.

Forester was decimated; no word on the health of the truck's occupants (Forester was parked and, presumably, empty).

Crazy day!
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

driver100 said:

Would that be the same be the same YouTube that has videos with proof that the earth is flat, that you don't need a drivers license to "travel in your vessel" (drive a car), that only Federal employees are required to pay income tax and (my favorite) when you're born the government creates a corporation with your name and any legal document with your name in all caps is not referencing you but that corporation?

Yes, but there is also a very helpful "how to change out your Audi Key FOB battery" video on there too! They left out one important detail though,but I was careful not to force it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    driver100 said:

To finish up with the Accent. We were promised a check for $4000 would be waiting for us and we would be in and out right away. Unfortunately we had to wait about 15 minutes for the manager to show up. After that he wrote us a check for $4000 and I had to remind him we were promised a ride home.

He got one of the newbie sales guys to drive us.....those guys have to knock themselves out to get brownie points.

Oldfarmer, my brother has high anxiety issues and memory isn't good, especially in last 6 months it has faded quickly. My wife and I are helping him back, he has about 12 pairs of pajamas, 4 are new never taken out of bags, 6 pairs of boots, 5 new with tags and the same with shoes. He keeps asking for belts...he had about 50 stored. He had about 12 nightlights....and about 5 bulbs that could fit into the nightlights. He has every bank book he has ever owned and probably every receipt and document.

I found out one thing. Used furniture is worth nothing. Guys will come and look but they are only after some gem you don't know you have. But, they'll offer to remove it all for $95 an hour, and they will give you a few bucks off your bill for any pieces they think they can sell. People don't want the stuff, and dealers can't make a profit selling it.

OF....one more thing, any damage to the car was very cosmetic, it had about 28000 miles on it and it had a heart of gold....if a Hyundai Accent is your thing.

Your brother sounds a lot like my younger son. The behaviors you describe sounds like he has some form of OCD. My son has multiple phobias, Aspergers and bi-polar disorder.

Your brother is lucky to have you to help out.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

driver100 said:

" he is trading the Yukon for a Sonata."

Of course he is. He works at a Hyudai store.

LOL. I don't buy his gripes. I call B$.The car is a 2018. It has less than 12000 miles. Almost everything is covered since it has less than 1 year and 12000 miles. AND it's under 3 yr 36K miles coverage bumper to bumper. Unless something happened to the vehicle that negated the warranty and he bought it...

My service managers are very clear that the warranty goes with the vehicle. And 1 year 12000 miles is golden even for wear items.

I wouldn't believe too much of what this guy said. He told me where he us was driving to was close to his home, but, he wouldn't tell me where he was from....answer lots of places.
    He was a lot different than my Mercedes salesman....a different breed.

• Options

@driver100,
    Not intentionally, but you did misrepresent the car to the dealer.
    It has body damage that needs fixing, needs new tires, probably full maintenance, and at least a thorough cleaning inside and out.
    All that has to be done to make the car saleable for a good price.

And I admit to that, I don't think it is $2000 worth of work on the car. I overstated the mileage a bit too, by 4000 miles, I just went by what I was told.
    If it was pristine it would be a new car. Some nicks and dents yes, but, the low mileage counts for a lot....$4500 to $4600 should have been the lowest acceptable price.

• Options
    andres3 said:
    driver100 said:
    Yes, but there is also a very helpful "how to change out your Audi Key FOB battery" video on there too! They left out one important detail though,but I was careful not to force it.
    My point is that you have to be careful of YouTube videos as for everyone that's helpful there is at least one that's harmful. To much misinformation out there. 

• Options

driver100 said:

Your brother sounds a lot like my younger son. The behaviors you describe sounds like he has some form of OCD. My son has multiple phobias, Aspergers and bi-polar disorder.

Your brother is lucky to have you to help out.
    OCD for sure....all his glasses are covered in plastic wrap. Buying back ups is another sign. Telling me what corners to turn at when I am turning anyway, and on it goes.
    He is 10 years older, so big age difference, but, he taught me many valuable lessons in life, and he gave me some good values that made a difference.
    We will do what we can......but, going through that apartment is an awful job. One moving consultant said she could have two packers pack and unpack, at $55 an hour each, or $110 an hour for 7 hours. My wife and I are doing it....then the movers move what they have to move, estimate 5 hours at $140 hour, and the junk guys come.....that will probably cost more!

It can't be easy for you managing with your son.......if people haven't experienced these symptoms in family members they have no idea how difficult it can be.

• Options

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

My point is that you have to be careful of YouTube videos as for everyone that's helpful there is at least one that's harmful. To much misinformation out there. 

Fair enough, but we have fixed our Keurig, I have found out how to set the Homelink, I found out how to reset the dishwasher, I have fixed toilets, I have got the computer back from the black death.....all from youtube.

Youtube is my friend!

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Agreed have to be careful of YouTube videos and take them with a big green of salt but also like mentioned above that’s a lot of helpful videos on there too as well 
  • Options
     20 for 100 with your brother has you around to help him out and got rid of his accent it’s over and done with I wouldn’t trust that sales person either got a bad car which happens to all of them or just one of those people that find things to complete them out with everything ha ha Ha 
  • Options
     Well the form really bunched up the message above was supposed to say driver 100 Ha ha ha 
  • Options
     West glad your wife wasn’t hurt your car didn’t get any damage hopefully no one was in the other Subaru and the guy in the truck then get injured too much 
  • Options
     Enjoyed reading everything else went on yesterday in here lately I’ve only been getting on in here in the mornings sometimes at night