Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,721
    omarman said:

1961 Chevrolet Corvette. "Barn Find without the barn..." No engine, no trans, needs everything. Seller asking $24,500.

Doesn’t need too much to be a decent driver..... lol

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,947
    throw in a HiPO big block, and it will probably snap in half on the first pass.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Means nothing without the race history and period photos. Not worth that money IMO. Half that perhaps.
    Crush the ranger. Money pit.

I kinda like the mustang. Could be real. Certainly priced like one. Not that a 70 3 speed is going to be that valuable. I can’t read the labels so guessing it’s a 302? Needs a lot of body work looks like.

• texasestexases Posts: 8,889
    Guy's asking a lot for that '59 Coronet, but is too cheap to put in a good battery?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,953
    I kind of like bustlebacks, but not so much the 4100, I think an 80 is the one you want. Coronet is cool, but the price, what?
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,809
    gsemike said:
    I kind of like the Dodge as that is the year I was born. Also like the Seville. Too bad it has the HT4100. It is weak and not very durable.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• berriberri Posts: 10,059
    That 59 Dodge is so very over the top from the headlight eyebrows to the protruding taillights - how can you not like it!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,962
    Not a one in the bunch I'd bother with just based on the info/pics/prices provided. 

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

I notice the upholstery in the Seville is relatively basic - must have been the loss leader model.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    Yeah, that' a base Seville. The headliner looks like it's come unglued and falling down. Early HT 4100 engine that is pure junk.

As far as looks? Bad color for one thing. When those came out I was following one and someone in my car suddenly blurted out " It looks like a garbage truck from the rear! Come to think of it, they do!
    Bustlebacks have long been a guilty pleasure for me. But I would want one without the wire wheels or wire caps, no vinyl top, no continental kit or trunk straps, no faux Rolls-Royce grille, and either an 80 or 81 model, in blue with leather.

I think these are a wheel rather than hubcap, this looks properly equipped:

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,674
    I recall driving the '80 Seville belonging to one of the bosses at my first job that year. I had gone to lunch with him and the owner and they both had too many drinks so I got to drive them back. The one thing recall is that it had the lightest-effort, most numb power steering I can recall, even worse than what Mopars of the '60s were known for. I guess back then that's what Cadillac buyers wanted, pinky steering.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

RE: Early 60s Rambler American---if you want "basic" with a capital "B", this is the car for you. With a flathead engine sporting all the technical wizardry of 1925, and a dashboard adorned with DECALS for labeling the various instruments, plus roll up windows, cloth interior, rubber floor mats instead of carpets and tiny little blackwall tires---then this is the economy king for the frugal driver in 1963. Oddly enough, the basic honesty of the car, and its utter simplicity, are rather appealing when viewed through today's eyes. It can still plug along on major freeways, get 20+ mpg and probably cost about $1.50 to fix.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,721
    fintail said:
    Bustlebacks have long been a guilty pleasure for me. But I would want one without the wire wheels or wire caps, no vinyl top, no continental kit or trunk straps, no faux Rolls-Royce grille, and either an 80 or 81 model, in blue with leather. I think these are a wheel rather than hubcap, this looks properly equipped: image
    I have to agree a little with this.  The Seville and even more so the Eldorado when properly trimmed (or lack of) were good looking vehicles.  

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,699
    edited June 2018

https://bham.craigslist.org/cto/d/audi-a5-manual-6-speed-32l/6626972312.html

Not sure if this will be a project or not. It’s my neighbor’s car. He knows zero about cars and zero about the history of his car. He bought it a couple years ago off a used car lot with no inspection, no car fax, nothing. I think at a minimum, I’d be doing every maintenance item I can think of. I’ve only given it a cursory glance. I’m supposed to drive it and check it out carefully tomorrow.

In case anyone has lots of Carfax or auto check access and is curious, the VIN is WAUDK78T19A028820.
    The Eldo was legitimately handsome, when de-pimped anyway. You could option them without wire wheels and the other junk, too, I have seen more of those than cleansed Sevilles.

tjc78 said:

I have to agree a little with this.  The Seville and even more so the Eldorado when properly trimmed (or lack of) were good looking vehicles.  

nice looking Audi. I wouldn't touch it with my wallet though.

lemmer said:

Not sure if this will be a project or not. It’s my neighbor’s car. He knows zero about cars and zero about the history of his car. He bought it a couple years ago off a used car lot with no inspection, no car fax, nothing. I think at a minimum, I’d be doing every maintenance item I can think of. I’ve only given it a cursory glance. I’m supposed to drive it and check it out carefully tomorrow.

In case anyone has lots of Carfax or auto check access and is curious, the VIN is WAUDK78T19A028820.

Looks a bit tarted up. CARFAX shows a rear ender in 2010 and the car was stolen in 2011. After that, it seems to have had an easier life, with 3 other owners.

I think this is one of those cars you can't make too many judgments about without putting it through a PPI.

Spent most of its life in FLA.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    Used Audis with a lot of miles scare me worse than anything. Repair costs can be staggering and for some reason they tend not to stay fixed. Our store got to the point we just wholesaled nearly all that we took in. we just got bit too many times. Still, you can get lucky I suppose/

lemmer said:

Looks a bit tarted up. CARFAX shows a rear ender in 2010 and the car was stolen in 2011. After that, it seems to have had an easier life, with 3 other owners.

I think this is one of those cars you can't make too many judgments about without putting it through a PPI.

Spent most of its life in FLA.
    That pretty much seals the deal. I also googled the 3.2L engine and didn't like what I read about the reliability, not to mention all the other stuff that goes wrong on a high mileage Audi.

I already made an appointment with the guy to drive it this afternoon. But I'm pretty certain it is a no go.

One funny thing I forgot to mention - he said he's never had any problems except he had to "replace a piston in the engine for $180". No idea what he was thinking of. One coil pack maybe?
    edited June 2018
    No, no, that makes sense, if you do the work yourself,--- get a used piston from a wreck in the scrapyard and bolt it in--then all you need is one side head gasket, some oil, and an oil pan gasket and some coolant--you could do all that for $180. :p

It might even run for a few days.
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 1,763
    One funny thing I forgot to mention - he said he's never had any problems except he had to "replace a piston in the engine for $180".

I miss Columbo.

No, no, that makes sense, if you do the work yourself,--- get a used piston from a wreck in the scrapyard and bolt it in--then all you need is one side head gasket, some oil, and an oil pan gasket and some coolant--you could do all that for $180. :p

I drove the car. It drove fine. Shifted well, engine felt great. It had light signs of neglect. Three bulbs out - tail light and turn signals, hood shocks were completely shot, paint work on both front fenders (in addition to the rear ender shifty mentioned), scratches and scrapes on the paint, no records of any maintenance, somebody had cheaply "restored" the leather and painted right over the console between the rear seats, bald rear tires (new front tires, said he couldn't afford rear ones), the interior and exterior looked like they had escaped a proper detailing for years. etc. I couldn't tell if the engine was weeping oil or was just filthy. Probably both.

The postscript is he sold the car for full price to a guy who looked at it right after me.
    While cruising Craigslist for Audis, I was shocked at how cheap you can get a an old s4. Meanwhile, the value of M3s is way higher and apparently going up. I know the S4s have some really expensive issues, but it isn't like M cars are cheap to keep running.
    lemmer said:
    No, no, that makes sense, if you do the work yourself,--- get a used piston from a wreck in the scrapyard and bolt it in--then all you need is one side head gasket, some oil, and an oil pan gasket and some coolant--you could do all that for $180. :p It might even run for a few days.
    I drove the car. It drove fine. Shifted well, engine felt great. It had light signs of neglect. Three bulbs out - tail light and turn signals, hood shocks were completely shot, paint work on both front fenders (in addition to the rear ender shifty mentioned), scratches and scrapes on the paint, no records of any maintenance, somebody had cheaply "restored" the leather and painted right over the console between the rear seats, bald rear tires (new front tires, said he couldn't afford rear ones), the interior and exterior looked like they had escaped a proper detailing for years. etc. I couldn't tell if the engine was weeping oil or was just filthy. Probably both. The postscript is he sold the car for full price to a guy who looked at it right after me.
    Found himself a sucker. Hope he appreciates that fact.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

qbrozen said:

lemmer said:

I drove the car. It drove fine. Shifted well, engine felt great. It had light signs of neglect. Three bulbs out - tail light and turn signals, hood shocks were completely shot, paint work on both front fenders (in addition to the rear ender shifty mentioned), scratches and scrapes on the paint, no records of any maintenance, somebody had cheaply "restored" the leather and painted right over the console between the rear seats, bald rear tires (new front tires, said he couldn't afford rear ones), the interior and exterior looked like they had escaped a proper detailing for years. etc. I couldn't tell if the engine was weeping oil or was just filthy. Probably both.

The postscript is he sold the car for full price to a guy who looked at it right after me.

Found himself a sucker. Hope he appreciates that fact.

Bottom feeder cars always sell for too much. It amazes me that people won't pay a couple extra $K to get a nice well maintained car. If you took that Audi in for a detail and service and had everything caught up to date, I bet you'd already be up to the cost of a much nicer car. And you'd still have one covered in scratches with a nasty carfax and paintwork.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,889
    And Audi's AWD loves having bald tires on one axle, new tires on the other... :s
    My numbers tell me that was an $8k car if clean. As described? I'd be hard pressed to cough up $6k.