Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Update for @jmonroe1 since he seems interested: no shoes arrived, obviously they went to somebody else. Canada Post strikes again. Filed a claim, let's see if it gets resolved.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I sent it to a buddy of mine and he said he would be shaking. 

I handled it it fairly well... 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    Back to dishwashers, when we remodeled the kitchen this summer we got all GE appliances. The dishwasher is the GE Cafe series, fairly expensive at about $1000. We are starting to cook more now but only run about every two weeks or so . It is amazing how quite it is, did not think it was doing anything first time. No sound, just a tiny vibration if you touch the door and countertop gets warm, otherwise you would not know it is working.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    bwia said:

Yesterday, we went appliance shopping and I can't believe how expensive home appliances have become. Our initial intention was to buy a replacement microwave for our Sears Elite convection microwave that arc flashed after just 14 months. No extended warranty, expensive lesson learned. So, on we went shopping.

First stop -- Home Depot:

--Kitchen Aid Dishwasher, (Model # KDTM354DSS) in Stainless Steel with Stainless Steel Tub, and a quiet 43 decibel rating, $942
    --Maytag 2.0 cu. ft Over the Range Microwave (Model # MMV4206FZ ) $379

Second stop --Lowes:
    --Frigidaire Gas Range (Model # LGGF3046TF) net price after 33% discount, $90, three-year warranty plus accessories, $940.

Why look at dishwashers and ranges if you are only shopping for a microwave. The times to buy appliances at a discount are Labor and Memorial Days, maybe a discount around Thanksgiving. We got our over the range LG Microwave on sale at Best Buy, very happy with it. It was a smaller size, midrange price value, and had the features I want.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    I would probably lose my mind, ha. Thank goodness my dad has a truck we can borrow for hauling things like that. If/when we get an SUV in the fleet I'll still ask to borrow the truck.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    I’d have handled it calmly in person, walked out, called my Dad, and lost my mind. Holy crap. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    About 2 years ago, I was down buying some sod. St Augustine grass squares. I was lined up waiting for them to load my grass into the back of my truck. The guy in line in front of me had them load his grass into the back of his SUV. It was some kind of Lexus, looked nearly new and very expensive. And he didn't even have a tarp or drop cloth or ...

Let me tell, those grass squares left a LOT bigger mess then the hay you had to deal with.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    tjc78 said:

Is this grounds for divorce??

Picture does no justice of the aftermath.  Almost a half hour with the shop vac and then a lint roller for the seat backs.  Ugh 

That's a hell of a way to start Halloween. The tricks on you. Can't wait to see the treats you're going to get. Just be sure to post pics of them. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    This has been great car weather in my area. I got 2 full 80 degree top down days in the ragtop. Don't figure I'll get many more but I can always hope.

I put the fall coat of Meguire's Fast Finish on the Mustang and it looked so good I went and ordered the Ford Performance Pac 2 for it.. I'm expecting more torque at low rpms where it matters in daily driving. Better performance in the mid range too. The tune for it gives me a 7500 rpm red line which I doubt I'll ever use but it'll be nice knowing it's there. Improvements in the shift program as well.

Don't know why I waited until a month before it goes away for the winter but if we start thinking logically about cars this board falls apart..

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348 said:

Update for @jmonroe1 since he seems interested: no shoes arrived, obviously they went to somebody else. Canada Post strikes again. Filed a claim, let's see if it gets resolved.

Don't fret, they probably wouldn't be comfortable anyway. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    So much for a day off... daughter’s 3rd birthday party at house tomorrow

Looking like a nice fall day so doing it outside.  Wife has face painters and some sort of Peppa Pig character coming. 

Needed to cleanup the yard and trim the trees so the bounce house would fit where I want it. Pressure wash the patio, mow the lawn.   Then had to put out said hay bales, and mums. 

Oh and the aforementioned cleanup of the Enclave. 

Today is our anniversary, SIL taking the kids overnight and we are heading over into the city for a nice steak dinner.   Busy day! 

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

Picture does no justice of the aftermath.  Almost a half hour with the shop vac and then a lint roller for the seat backs.  Ugh 
    That's a hell of a way to start Halloween. The tricks on you. Can't wait to see the treats you're going to get. Just be sure to post pics of them. :'( jmonroe
    The trick is always on me!  

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    tjc78 said:

Grounds for either divorce or justifiable homicide. Nah, just kidding ( but no jury of car lovers would convict you). ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    henryn said:

About 2 years ago, I was down buying some sod. St Augustine grass squares. I was lined up waiting for them to load my grass into the back of my truck. The guy in line in front of me had them load his grass into the back of his SUV. It was some kind of Lexus, looked nearly new and very expensive. And he didn't even have a tarp or drop cloth or ...

Let me tell, those grass squares left a LOT bigger mess then the hay you had to deal with.

Last year I had to buy a few sods and of course had to use the ATS for transport. Fortunately I have a poly tarp that isn't too huge that folded and lined the trunk quite well. Cleanup afterwards was a breeze.

But some people just don't care about their vehicles.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    tjc78 said:

The good news is........you are going to be making one great Halloween display in front of your house!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    tjc78 said:

So are you planning a hoedown or a hootenanny?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    henryn said:
    About 2 years ago, I was down buying some sod. St Augustine grass squares. I was lined up waiting for them to load my grass into the back of my truck. The guy in line in front of me had them load his grass into the back of his SUV. It was some kind of Lexus, looked nearly new and very expensive. And he didn't even have a tarp or drop cloth or ... Let me tell, those grass squares left a LOT bigger mess then the hay you had to deal with.
    We picked up some sod last spring and used the sonata to get it. Just threw the sod in the trunk, just a few minutes with the heavy duty rug sucker and you would never known there was sod in the trunk.

• Options
    ab348 said:

henryn said:

Last year I had to buy a few sods and of course had to use the ATS for transport. Fortunately I have a poly tarp that isn't too huge that folded and lined the trunk quite well. Cleanup afterwards was a breeze.

But some people just don't care about their vehicles.
    And having the rubber cargo tray that you can remove and spray off is a nice backup for a tarp. No, I don't wax it. Just spray off, let it air dry and you're all set.

jmonroe
  • Options
    jwm40517 said:
    Back to dishwashers, when we remodeled the kitchen this summer we got all GE appliances. The dishwasher is the GE Cafe series, fairly expensive at about $1000. We are starting to cook more now but only run about every two weeks or so . It is amazing how quite it is, did not think it was doing anything first time. No sound, just a tiny vibration if you touch the door and countertop gets warm, otherwise you would not know it is working.
    We have a somewhat new Maytag dishwasher that is so quite one time I started it up and a little while into the wash cycle my wife opened it up to put something in not knowing it was running.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    National Post did a review of the 2019 Regal GS....title says "Scores a Good Try". Some of the comments:
    *Not quite the sports sedan Buick claims
    Buick aiming for younger buyers, average age has shifted in 5 years from 60 to 59.
    *On paper it should be like a German luxury car since it is a German Opel
    *Good things, 310 hp V6, alternative to other sporty hatchbacks, BMW, Stinger, A5, Brembo brakes, sport tuned exhaust, under $50000 CDN.
    *Problem, Buick used the proper parts, then bolted them on to a Regal frame, didn't engineer it together,
    *3 drive modes, Normal Sport and GS, only GS gives you a sports sedan feel
    *Big issue, is the SUV type of weight (1937kilograms) which hinders performance and handling
    *No paddle shifters...might upset enthusiasts
    *Seats are extremely comfortable...unless you are extra large
    *Inside is dull black.....prefers the flashier interiors on KIA and Hyundai
    *Large trunk
    *Unlikely to sway the brand snobs away from the European nameplates.
    *It is a good alternative to some sedans and even SUVs, but this is not a true sports sedan....more a sport-ish sedan.

And that is why I will stick with what I know will be made and engineered the way I like it.
    POST DRIVING
    I think they copied a 335 to get the measurements and styling;

• Options
    Remember about a month ago I mentioned getting a new couch for the house. Well it came in and we are enjoying it. One segment of it barely made it through the hallway.

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited October 2018

2019 Buick Regal GS

This car is beautiful, driver100. But does it come with a stick shift? I love the side view of this car, but, I can tell what my research is going to prove to me. I'm better off driving 90 miles south to the small-time dealer in El Paso who is selling the beautiful 2017 Nissan Sentra NISMO. Why you want to ask me?

I'm happy to tell you. The '17 Nissan Sentra NISMO is beautiful and, because somebody else has driven it for some 6,800 miles, it no longer costs me $25,000. It's only $17,995. Money talks, and, really Buick is a great American car, but, and it's a big BUTT, my '17 Nissan Sentra NISMO could blow it's doors off like Dennis Rodman clocking Karl Malone's head coming down with another miss by John Stockton of the Utah Jazz.

Another failed quest to try and top the 2017 Nissan Sentra NISMO. You're going to have to try harder, driver100. Another glaring problem, since Buick doesn't sell performance vehicles, they're gonna want $38,995 for this Buick of theirs. Prove me wrong, I'm waiting for an intelligent response to this Ju-JuBe jumbo-mess.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    I do find the new Regal very disappointing. Looked at one on a dealer lot last week. Big car with some awkward design choices. 

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I do find the new Regal very disappointing. Looked at one on a dealer lot last week. Big car with some awkward design choices.

Hey, ab, I'm fixin' ta look that review up (or several other online car sources) but could you save me the trouble? Does Buick stick a stick shift in this pup? The car looks drop-dead gorgeous ta me!

• Options
    Well I just had to do the log in thing again. First time. The link didn’t work so I just clocked on a bookmarked Edmunds forum page, and that link worked just fine.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

Remember about a month ago I mentioned getting a new couch for the house. Well it came in and we are enjoying it. One segment of it barely made it through the hallway.

Looks good but where is that bargain lamp you were bragging about?

jmonroe
  • Options
    I do find the new Regal very disappointing. Looked at one on a dealer lot last week. Big car with some awkward design choices. Hey, ab, I'm fixin' ta look that review up (or several other online car sources) but could you save me the trouble? Does Buick stick a stick shift in this pup? The car looks drop-dead gorgeous ta me!
    I think it’s automatic only. 

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    ab348 said:

As Pilate the Roman prefect (governor) once said "I see no fault in this man." So too, I find no fault in the Regal GS. It is a beautiful and elegant car albeit outrageously priced out of reach for the intended demographic.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    pretty much everything is AT only these days, at least in that class. And especially at Buick.

and I am fine with "sportish" or whatever that term was. respectable road-holding, nice steering, etc. Not too concerned about not being a 10/10 for running around a race track. If it can drive like a TLX say, that is good for a Buick.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

Looks good but where is that bargain lamp you were bragging about? jmonroe
    On the other side of the room, so behind me.

• Options

jmonroe1 said:

Looks good but where is that bargain lamp you were bragging about?

jmonroe

Next time use a mirror too. :@

jmonroe
  • Options
    You’re the one telling folks how to take photographs? 😂
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:
    jmonroe1 said:

Looks good but where is that bargain lamp you were bragging about? jmonroe
    Next time use a mirror too. :@ jmonroe
    Then you would have to see my ugly mug.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited October 2018
    tjc78 said:

OMG! Almost! That's so horrible!

And, frankly, the biggest issue is not the straw itself, but the fact that it is very possible for there to be rodents hiding out in there. That's a GREAT way to introduce some frisky little friends to vermin heaven.

This is why everyone should have a trailer hitch and a cargo tray. I should take a photo the next time I got to the feed store to bring straw (or hay) home.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options

Then you would have to see my ugly mug.

The furniture looks great, snake! I look forward to the day that I have more than folding chairs. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Hey, ab, I'm fixin' ta look that review up (or several other online car sources) but could you save me the trouble? Does Buick stick a stick shift in this pup? The car looks drop-dead gorgeous ta me!

I think it’s automatic only. 

Yes, article mentions no paddle shifters....can use the automatic shifter but awkward pattern.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I like that Buick. Not with black guts though.

one of my neighbors has a regal turbo 6 speed. He did just have a loaner for a week or 2. Not sure why. It does rattle a bit when starting off in 1st gear, like something is loose under there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    tjc78 said:

Deepest sympathy. I use a trunk of a leSabre and put in a bale of straw. I had plastic but I hadn't got it down right. I vacuumed and vacuumed. I think I still found bits of straw up til I sold it. The stuff is like glitter.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I had to log back in with my Android phone a few days back. Today it was my PC and I hadn't done any cleaning on it. Maybe Norton or the system did some cleanup on the Windows 10 and deleted the record that is stored on the computer?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited October 2018
    IIRC, the Regal was available in a sport trim with MT through the 2017 model year. That one might be more up your alley anyway (e.g., lightly used)!

Rare birds though. Here's one pretty close by you:

Hey, thanks for that research, xwesx. I found pretty much what I thought I would - a high price. This one has 44,XXX miles on it and it's still over $19,000 used. Which isn't terrible, it's just that I am looking for something maxing out at the '17 Nissan Sentra NISMO's $17,995 and on down from there.

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    suydam said:

driver100 said:

Hate to change the topic...appliances are always a favorite. We took Gigi to the vet because of coughing.....seems it is an infection. She is 14 years old and the vet wants to pull out all her teeth. It does make sense, 14 years without brushing or dental work and a dogs teeth go very bad. Any idea how this works out - they claim the dog is fine and doesn't mind. It is expensive, about $1100 plus teeth cost from $25 to $150 each to remove, depending on how hard they are to remove. We will have her vet in Florida check it too, generally vet costs are about half the price in Florida.

Wow. Go away for a week and this forum has gone bananas with postings. Dental surgery is pretty hard on an older dog. You have to weigh that against how bad the teeth are. It took my dog 4 months to recover from the equivalent of doggie root canal. Now she has another broken tooth but it isn’t hampering eating, so we are just letting it be.
    One of my cats had stomatitis (painful auto-immune disorder, essentially the immune system is rejecting the teeth!) and had a full mouth extraction at age 5. It was pricey as hell, and it has taken over a year and a half to get her back to her pre-surgery weight, but we could see almost immediately that she was a much happier cat!

Good luck to both of you with your furkids.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    IIRC, the Regal was available in a sport trim with MT through the 2017 model year. That one might be more up your alley anyway (e.g., lightly used)! Rare birds though. Here's one pretty close by you: Hey, thanks for that research, xwesx. I found pretty much what I thought I would - a high price. This one has 44,XXX miles on it and it's still over $19,000 used. Which isn't terrible, it's just that I am looking for something maxing out at the '17 Nissan Sentra NISMO's $17,995 and on down from there.
    Still looking?  Still salivating?  What’s it been - 6 months or more of this car or that car or this engine or stick transmission?  This color or that color or this interior or that interior?  

There’s nothing wrong with careful and studious weighing of all possible options when you are in the buying mode for a replacement car, iluv.  I do the same thing when in the buying mode, which occurred frequently until my last acquisition.  But there comes a time when you pull the trigger or take the plunge - like “JUST DO IT” like Nike promotes.

I don’t know if it’s just cold feet that prevents you from making that car buying decision or something else.  All of us have provided you with our opinions when you have requested our opinion and have vehemently supported your multitude of possible car model options. Tons of photos along with tons of rationale postings have filled our discussion board here.

My input for you is this - an analogy of sorts:

Think of those many Westerns you’ve seen from the time you were a kid.  John Wayne or Dean Martin or even Roy Rogers were often faced with a gunfight on Main Street at high noon in front of a saloon.  Did you ever see the good guys (John, Dean or Roy) draw their Colt .45’s in a gunfight but not pull the trigger or shoot the bad guy - just point the gun and wait for the bad guy’s bullet to strike them in their hearts?  Of course not - they pulled the trigger and shot!

The moral here is that it’s time to pull the trigger and surprise us with a great car-buying story - we need stories about car buying experiences that end with a car being bought.  So, do it and surprise us all.  You have our OK to buy that car. ;):pB)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike - Still looking? Still salivating? What’s it been - 6 months or more of this car or that car or this engine or stick transmission? This color or that color or this interior or that interior?

I think we need a new topic....CBDA.

Car Buying Dreamers Anonymous........you have to state what car you are hoping to buy in over at least one year from now.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

We bought a sectional several weeks ago and it arrived last week. It's nice to be able to order exactly what you want.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    That is HUUUUGE! You must have a houseful of people!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:
    Oh it's not any bigger than the sofa and loveseat that it replaced except for that corner area where we used to have an end table. 

The only problem with it is that two of the sections don't match up exactly, they are maybe 1/8th an inch off. Since all the sections meet in the back and the cushions hide the back you cannot see it unless your behind the couch and that would be the wall. So unless you pull the couch away from the wall you will never see it. So for me it's really a nonissue, but my wife thinks otherwise.

• Options
    Well today the wife and I took our annual pilgrimage to an apple orchard/pumpkin patch way out in the country. It's a nice little drive down back country roads with very little traffic. The one thing about this place is they make their own wine from their orchards apples so we tend to get several bottles of different types of apple wine. 

Now to keep this auto related the route has a relatively straight stretch with only a few minor hills that's just shy of 8 miles long with no stops. So just for giggles I had the cruise control set for 55 and once it was doing that I reset the average MPG on the trip computer. so at a steady 55 MPH the computer was measuring 47.2 MPG. But once we hit stop and go traffic that dropped like a rock. 

• Options

suydam said:

Oh it's not any bigger than the sofa and loveseat that it replaced except for that corner area where we used to have an end table. 

The only problem with it is that two of the sections don't match up exactly, they are maybe 1/8th an inch off. Since all the sections meet in the back and the cushions hide the back you cannot see it unless your behind the couch and that would be the wall. So unless you pull the couch away from the wall you will never see it. So for me it's really a nonissue, but my wife thinks otherwise.

Don't be so sure about that. While it's a little harder to see on my monitor when I'm in the office using my PC, it's really pretty easy to see on my smart phone when I turn it around. I think you otta return it. :o

jmonroe